Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Werner Spahl

Real Name Werner Spahl   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wesp5
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 5, 2003
Supporter -
Total Comments 295 (Amateur)
User ID 16932

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve on Modding VR Out of Half-Life: Alyx

31. Re: Valve on Modding VR Out of Half-Life: Alyx Mar 25, 2020, 04:25 Wesp5

Fantaz wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 19:38:
I actually love Trespasser, as bad as it was...

In my opinion it wasn't as bad as most people think, also there are a lot of recent games where you e.g. need to open doors manually with the mouse. The Amnesia series and many walking simulators come to mind so it's not impossible to port this from VR...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Valve on Modding VR Out of Half-Life: Alyx Mar 24, 2020, 16:55 Wesp5

Sepharo wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 16:39:
His point was, you're going to see how dumb this game is without VR and therefore he welcomes that.

So what he and you are saying is that as a normal game HL:A is dumb, but as a VR gimmick it is great?

1. Re: Valve on Modding VR Out of Half-Life: Alyx Mar 24, 2020, 11:29 Wesp5

Very interesting, so why didn't Valve do it themselves? You just can't tell me that it wouldn't have been possible to develop VR and not VR side by side! Of course Valve wouldn't sell as much VR gear if this would have happened...  

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Released

19. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Released Mar 23, 2020, 16:16 Wesp5

John wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 14:24:
I wish they would have at least made a non-VR version alongside it.

I hope a modder will make a HL2 mod out of this without need of VR...

News Comments > Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal?

28. Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 09:19 Wesp5

Slick wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 08:37:
Beamer wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 08:19:
Imagine this happening in any other medium, take your pick.

A James Bond movie without James Bond and it's an Adam Sandler comedy. And then someone tells you "hey man, I like Adam Sandler movies, who cares what the name of the movie is, geez".

No need to go that far. How about a James Bond movie with Daniel Craig that has none of the original British charme of the old movies but is kind of a Bourne movie instead ;)!

News Comments > Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal?

22. Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 05:09 Wesp5

Jerykk wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 04:54:
MT Silver wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 01:05:
I really don't care what they called it. The 2017 Prey was excellent and I would love a sequel.

This. I enjoyed the original Prey but wouldn't call it a classic by any means. It's an 8/10 game. Prey 2017 was pretty great, though.

I disagree, but as with many games this is a matter of taste. Prey 2017 was technicaly perfect, but it had endless backtracking and respawning blowing up a handfull of maps to a full game. In that regards they really should have called it "System Shock X", because the same thing was true in "System Shock 2"...

News Comments > Valve on Alyx and the Future of Half-Life

14. Re: Valve on Alyx and the Future of Half-Life Mar 19, 2020, 07:19 Wesp5

Sepharo wrote on Mar 18, 2020, 19:59:
The guy has been saying that they don't want to make a HL3 unless it's revolutionary for 10 years now.

He only said that after they messed the HL2 episodes up with their Steam machine dreams and similar. After all the episodes were not revolutionary at all and they released them nevertheless. We were waiting for HL2:EP3 before Valve invented the HL3 rumor to silence the crowd!

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Reviews

15. Re: DOOM Eternal Reviews Mar 17, 2020, 16:52 Wesp5

jdreyer wrote on Mar 17, 2020, 12:55:
Doom Eternal Is a Dizzying Catastrophe - WIRED.

Bethesda's check to Wired got lost in the mail.

Interesting review, which reminds me of the differences between HL1, where you experience the catastrophe happening, and HL2, where a lot of the most interesting stuff has happened already when you start. But what most annoyed me about Doom 2016 still seems to be quite the same in Eternal: A) the obvious arena level design which destroys any kind of surprising gameplay and B) the colorful item spawning which destroys any kind of immersion in the otherwise fantastically realistic looking world.

News Comments > System Shock 3 Layoffs Lead to Fears for the Project

17. Re: System Shock 3 Layoffs Lead to Fears for the Project Feb 8, 2020, 09:52 Wesp5

Didn't Arkane Studios already published SS3? Only the called it "Prey" to get the FPS fans on board which resulted in it being a flop...  

News Comments > Blizzard Claims Ownership of Custom Game Modes

36. Re: Blizzard Claims Ownership of Custom Game Modes Jan 30, 2020, 09:52 Wesp5

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 08:54:
You canít copyright game mechanics, if a mode becomes popular enough to spawn separate games, they wonít actually be able to claim ownership.

This might be true. Didn't PUBG try to attack Epic over the "last man standing" mode and failed?

News Comments > Blizzard Claims Ownership of Custom Game Modes

31. Re: Blizzard Claims Ownership of Custom Game Modes Jan 30, 2020, 07:28 Wesp5

theAntiELVIS wrote on Jan 29, 2020, 23:55:
So, in other words, they don't want people to make any more custom games stuff for their games.

No, they just don't want parasites like Valve buying the mods of people based on Blizzard games.

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Spurs Index Sales

40. Re: Re: Half-Life: Alyx Spurs Index Sales Jan 30, 2020, 02:57 Wesp5

Zero Punctuation recently reviewed Boneworks which is a VR game very close to what HL: Alyx could be, so it might not be as special as many people assume. Also killer app or not, it's clear that Valve only made this to boost their VR sales and probably not because they wanted to make another HL game so it might well end up dissappointing. Now HL3 or HL2: EP3 would have been a real killer app for VR :)!  

News Comments > Play the Half-Life Series for Free

20. Re: Play the Half-Life Series for Free Jan 22, 2020, 06:51 Wesp5

I think this is a vain offer, anybody being a hardcore gamer enough to own a VR rack certainly played all the HL games already...  

News Comments > Valve: Left 4 Dead 3 Not in Development

18. Re: Valve: Left 4 Dead 3 Not in Development Jan 18, 2020, 11:57 Wesp5

Steve2001 wrote on Jan 18, 2020, 04:59:
They have Half life Alyx and two other AAA titles on the way.

Alyx is only a push for their VR equipment, it might end up not much better than a good HL2 mod playable in VR...

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York Next Week

6. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York Next Week Dec 2, 2019, 15:43 Wesp5

J wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 13:00:
I'd like to see Wesp5's face as he reads that.

As far as I know this is some kind of interactive novel and not a real game, so I am not interested :)!

News Comments > Steam October Releases Recap

4. Re: Steam October Releases Recap Nov 26, 2019, 03:37 Wesp5

I have never read such a blatant advertisement for Steam here before, so maybe Valve does indeed feel the EGS :)! They even announced a real game recently, if only for VR :(...  

News Comments > Terminator: Resistance Released

27. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 18, 2019, 10:13 Wesp5

MacLeod wrote on Nov 18, 2019, 09:21:
You literally just had a Cameron produced and co-written by sequel come out that effectively wiped out this timeline and replaced it with a new AI and future.

As far as I know the new Terminator movie was such a big failure, that the new timeline isn't any more relevant as those of T3, T4 or T5. So all we have is two good Terminator movies and maybe with this one and Terminator Future Shock two good Terminator games ;)!

News Comments > Terminator: Resistance Announced

4. Re: Terminator: Resistance Announced Sep 20, 2019, 04:49 Wesp5

This could be great! I remember Terminator: System Shock as one of the best old FPS, even bringing free mouse look to all others :)...  

News Comments > DOOM Eternal QuakeCon Presentation

10. Re: DOOM Eternal QuakeCon Presentation Jul 28, 2019, 09:25 Wesp5

El Pit wrote on Jul 28, 2019, 02:06:
It actually reminds me of Q3 Arena! The jumping part, the level design, the power-ups - this is Q3A as a (sort of) single-player experience in my opinion.

Exactly, and this already annoyed me in Doom 2016! All these "arenas" locking themselves down when you enter and thus killing any suspense. And if there is anything consoleish about new Doom, it's these colorful item drops. I mean why make the game as photorealistic as possible when killing something will immediately remind you that it's just a game?

News Comments > Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks

11. Re: Valve Developing 2 Half-Life Games? HLVR/Citadel Leaks Jul 19, 2019, 06:20 Wesp5

MeanJim wrote on Jul 18, 2019, 23:59:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 18, 2019, 22:33:
Gabe has said that he has no interest in doing an HL3 unless it's revolutionary in some way.

Valve releasing anything with a 3 in it would be revolutionary.

Indeed! Maybe the Epic Store is giving them a hint that their Steam monopoly won't automatically last forever...

295 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >