Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Werner Spahl

Real Name Werner Spahl   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wesp5
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 5, 2003, 10:38
Total Comments 212 (Novice)
User ID 16932

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Empathy: Path of Whispers Released
1. Re: Empathy: Path of Whispers Released May 17, 2017, 03:24 Wesp5

Sorry, but how many of these walking simulators are going to be there with all people gone, because to program AI is sooo difficult or what?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve Outlines Steam Inner Workings and Future Plans
1. Re: Valve Outlines Steam Inner Workings and Future Plans May 9, 2017, 10:40 Wesp5

Hm, this might just show all the data that Steam collects about it's users and what it learns about them in the process ;)!  

News Comments > Prey Released
16. Re: Prey Released May 5, 2017, 16:15 Wesp5

So has this anything of the stuff that made the original Prey special? Like the first use of portals, even in real environments and not boring puzzle rooms, or walking up-side-down through a map?  

News Comments > Uncut Half-Life in Germany
18. Re: Uncut Half-Life in Germany Apr 28, 2017, 15:15 Wesp5

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 28, 2017, 15:00:
It was crazy good at the time because of things like floating boxes and physics but overall the game had probably one of the worst endings I can remember, the only game that had a worse ending was RAGE.

Are you talking about HL1 or HL2 here? Because HL1 didn't have any physics and didn't end unfinished like HL2 or RAGE. Also while some people didn't like Xen, I loved it because it was finally an alien world that looked alien, not like Unreal which looked much too normal. The jumping sucked, but otherwise the ending was the typical boss fight at the time...

News Comments > Uncut Half-Life in Germany
7. Re: Uncut Half-Life in Germany Apr 28, 2017, 12:16 Wesp5

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 28, 2017, 10:30:
Hl1 for us came later and if you had seen Unreal 1 first, HL1 was really ugly to look at actually.

Maybe, but for me the setting, story and gameplay was much better in HL with all the cool scripted sequences and NPCs! Unreal on the other hand just dragged on and on and on...

But I agree that there was something about these old games that I am missing with new titles. I've been playing HL and HL2 levels for years and just recently discovered that the Doom and Duke Nukem 3D community is still active too, like with the Duke Forces release recently. If the gameplay is great I actually don't care much how ugly it looks :)!

News Comments > Scanner Sombre Released
2. Re: Scanner Sombre Released Apr 26, 2017, 13:40 Wesp5

I agree! Lately there were dozends of indie walking simulators released that are based on haunted house settings, and still the Ocean House map of Bloodlines did this better ten years ago! And it was only one map out of over hundred maps in a varied FPS/RPG and didn't claim to be a whole game itself...  

News Comments > Starfighter Origins Tomorrow
5. Re: Starfighter Origins Tomorrow Apr 24, 2017, 11:24 Wesp5

That guy made some pretty good The Babylon Project missions long ago...  

News Comments > NVIDIA Flow Video
11. Re: NVIDIA Flow Video Apr 24, 2017, 03:20 Wesp5

Sorry, while this may be cool if you know that it is rendered in realtime, but from afar it just looks like good old sprites because the flames and the smoke are much too symetrical...  

News Comments > Videogame Hall of Fame Finalists
3. Re: Videogame Hall of Fame Finalists Mar 29, 2017, 10:54 Wesp5

Why is Portal in this list and not Doom? I mean Portal was a nice little puzzle game and it was followed by some other puzzle games, but Doom basically started the whole FPS genre which Halo was only a small part off...  

News Comments > Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Announced
15. Re: Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Announced Mar 29, 2017, 03:28 Wesp5

Jagacademy wrote on Mar 28, 2017, 20:21:
If you google "Planescape Torment Novelization", someone typed up all the dialgoue into a full length novel of the game. I read through it because I didn't have time to play through the game, and it was actually pretty good.

Really? Because I read a novel called Planescape Torment once for all the same reasons and found it quite bad, never getting from it why people hype it so much...

News Comments > Quake Champions Trailer
7. Re: Quake Champions Trailer Mar 23, 2017, 04:55 Wesp5

Linksil wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 21:31:
Why the HELL is armor popping out of people when you kill them?

Yeah, that mechanism was stupid in Doom already with all those demons stuffed with ammo or health! Also what I don't get with this and the Doom remake: Why make the maps as photorealistic as possible, but have the powerups looking like cheap computer icons? Drives the immersion right out of the window and makes you never forget it's a game.

News Comments > BAFTA Nominees
1. Re: BAFTA Nominees Mar 9, 2017, 14:24 Wesp5

Firewatch nominated as Best Game and Innovative Game? For an enhanced walking simulator?  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released
13. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released Feb 25, 2017, 03:51 Wesp5

ItBurn wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 18:16:
The story is way shorter than in the first game though, so if you don't procrastinate that much, the game is definitely too short.

Exactly. Also although Prague looked great, it was only one hub to which you returned three times and which was split with a long loading time in the middle too! Compare that to the several real hubs in the older games...

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released
3. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released Feb 24, 2017, 14:29 Wesp5

Creston wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 13:41:
It sounds like a fun mission, but I really wish it got integrated into the main storyline somehow.

So this doesn't really fit in? All other DLCs for both Human Revolution and Mankind Divided were so obviously just cut content to sell later, that it's almost justified the series ended like this because of the developer greed! Just compare them to the Dishonered DLCs, which were real expansions...

News Comments > Free Steam Audio SDK
2. Re: Free Steam Audio SDK Feb 24, 2017, 04:24 Wesp5

This works for Unity but not Source or Source 2?  

News Comments > Erik Wolpaw Leaves Valve
12. Re: Erik Wolpaw Leaves Valve Feb 18, 2017, 03:44 Wesp5

Slick wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 01:29:
The writing in Portal 2 is quite possibly the best videogame writing in any game I've ever played. He will be missed.

Didn't Marc Laidlaw leave earlier already? Seems another hint that Valve doesn't care about serious game development anymore! Now it's all about trying to get a headstart in the VR business, payed by their Steam monopoly which gives them free money from the actual games others create anyway...

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Giving Way to Steam Direct
15. Re: Steam Greenlight Giving Way to Steam Direct Feb 10, 2017, 15:57 Wesp5

How would it be that instead of just getting more money from their monopoly while doing nothing, which is how Steam Direct translates to me, if Valve would actually check whatever they sell on Steam for quality or at least make sure it runs how intended to weed out the trash?  

News Comments > Deus Ex Series Hiatus?
47. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 31, 2017, 03:15 Wesp5

Squirmer wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 00:10:
Yeah I agree with it being an FPS with a bit of RPG, but "immersive sim" generally means the game simulates an environment and drops the player in it.

I agree on that, but the problem with the DX games, right from the first one, was that the environment was always just a bit too tailored for the gameplay. Best example are the vents that always bring you where you need to go! This was already a problem for immersion in the original game and is even more so in MD. I have no problem with it from a gameplay perspective, but it makes the world seem not real at all!

26. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 13:28 Wesp5

osage no onna wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 12:10:
I finished MD not that long ago and I can't even remember how it ended, that's how lackluster the ending was. That's not hyperbole either, I literally have no recollection.

But isn't this typical for a DX game? I can't remember the endings of any of them, even the first one! I think is was merge with computer or destroy tech or something. What makes it worse is that with DX:IW and DX:MD they start the sequels in a fixed setting so the choice of endings didn't matter anyway!

25. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 13:23 Wesp5

Dacron wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 12:00:
Not brand new triple AAA looking, but the most complete one yet, free on steam (if you own deus ex) -

Deus Ex Revision

Or as I have been told even better and much closer to the original game: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx

212 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo