Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Werner Spahl

Real Name Werner Spahl   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wesp5
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 5, 2003, 10:38
Total Comments 178 (Novice)
User ID 16932

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
50. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 13:17 Wesp5

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 12:57:
Wesp5 wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 10:25:
If it weren't for GOG and other small sites, Steam on PC would already be pretty much a closed platform...

There's a difference between closed and choice, Steam has always been a choice.

Really? Nowadays even when you buy a retail game most of the time you need to register it on Steam to make it work. The only exceptions are some publishers trying to pull off the same thing like with Origin and GOG without any DRM. No wonder Microsoft wants a piece of the cake!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 11:36 Wesp5

007Bistromath wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 11:33:
Maybe one day Steam OS(linux) will be the OS for gaming?
This. This a million times.

Then you will be 100% dependent of Valve which are known to be as much a money hungry company as Microsoft...

21. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 11:34 Wesp5

ItBurn wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 10:50:
This isn't a conspiracy theory. Microsoft wants a closed platform. They want all the money and the death of their competition.

You mean like Valve? For which having Steam as quasi monopoly wasn't enough so they wanted to take over the whole PC game world with their SteamOS.

19. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 11:32 Wesp5

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 10:48:
Except GOG is the real closed platform. Try talking with some indy devs who were flat out refused with no reason given... Steam doesn't pull such bullshit. You pass Greenlight = you get on Steam.

Yeah, and we all know how many bad games made it onto Steam because all Valve cares about is money and not game quality. I guess GOG is just avoiding this for now...

11. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 10:25 Wesp5

If it weren't for GOG and other small sites, Steam on PC would already be pretty much a closed platform...  

News Comments > Valve on Game Item Gambling
13. Re: Better cash out those skins. Jul 14, 2016, 03:36 Wesp5

deqer wrote on Jul 13, 2016, 20:32:
Squirmer is right, and you shouldn't be glad with Valve at all about this. It's too late. Valve had their chance years ago. It's been 5 YEARS!

Valve only going for the money, no matter what. Now who is surprised?

News Comments > System Shock Remake Funded
29. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 12, 2016, 10:06 Wesp5

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 16:16:
I'm guessing that you haven't played Metroid or Castlevania either, so you probably don't know what that means.

Yeah, I didn't play Metroid or Castlevania either and wasn't aware SS and SS2 are part of a series with those. Still, bad level design isn't getting better only because other games made the same stupid mistakes!

24. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 10:03 Wesp5

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 09:03:
Ummm... with endless backtracking by elevator?

I was talking about SS2 here, you might have overlooked. I never played the original SS, but I remember having to go through several maps just to change elevators in SS2 which really was stupid level design...

20. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 08:18 Wesp5

Kajetan wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 05:18:
They just build a small section of the original map.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up! But speaking of elevator, another thing that I hated about SS2 was the endless backtracking via elevator to levels you already had been to connected with very long loading times. How was this handled in the original System Shock?

16. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 02:58 Wesp5

Kajetan wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 01:26:
Wesp5 wrote on Jul 10, 2016, 18:02:
I mean you wake up in Medbay and have to go through some pipe section with ladders to leave it? That doesn't make sense!
It doesnt. Therefore you leave the Medbay through the means of a central elevator. And the pipes section is nothing more than a normal utility section for the medbay machines and generators.

So are you saying that they either changed the level layout already in the demo or that the makers of the space station would force every injured person through the utility sections instead of hiding them away?

6. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 10, 2016, 18:02 Wesp5

Hm, I never played the original System Shock, but this demo included some of the things I hated most about SS2, like weird level design that looks not at all like a space station or space ship it should reflect! I mean you wake up in Medbay and have to go through some pipe section with ladders to leave it? That doesn't make sense! Also I really hope the energy pistol doesn't break because I would hate to bash enemies over the head with the pipe all the time like with the wrench in SS2...  

News Comments > MachineGames Releases New QUAKE Campaign
7. Re: MachineGames Releases New QUAKE Campaign Jun 25, 2016, 16:20 Wesp5

Sempai wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 15:46:
But you are getting a new Deus Ex, you're also getting a new Dishonored, and a new Mass Effect, good luck with HL3 and improved AI though.
And what are you talking about? The new Doom was a ton of fun, along with other "rehashes" like Wolfenstein, Tomb Raider, and Xcom.

Exactly that: Reshashes and reboots and sequels! Little new under the sun as with the movie industry...

News Comments > MachineGames Releases New QUAKE Campaign
4. Re: MachineGames Releases New QUAKE Campaign Jun 25, 2016, 09:45 Wesp5

Sempai wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 02:23:
...are we living in a golden age of video games right now or what?

You mean because the good old stuff gets rebooted and the new stuff are hero shooter clones of each other ;)? Sorry, but I would really like to see a good single player FPS that is not one of both...

News Comments > Prey Announced
2. Re: Prey Announced Jun 13, 2016, 09:55 Wesp5

nin wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 09:46:
And where's my Wolfenstein????

Great, another reboot using the same name! If it has anything to do with the old game at all. And didn't we already have several Wolfenstein reboots?

News Comments > Quake Champions Announced
3. Re: Quake Champions Announced Jun 13, 2016, 09:49 Wesp5

Hm, isnt't this like the Doom Reboot MP only with character classes and changed weapons?  

News Comments > Tick Tock Bang Bang Next Week
1. Re: Tick Tock Bang Bang Next Week Jun 3, 2016, 05:09 Wesp5

Hm, Superhot, but this time with better graphics and more variety?  

News Comments > The Solus Project Next Week
3. Re: The Solus Project Next Week Jun 2, 2016, 16:21 Wesp5

Is anyone else here bored by the similar settings of most of the current indy games? Some of the typical things I remember are:

1) play out in a postapocalyptic world
2) have the player be alone with no NPCs
3) include survival elements and crafting
4) show the player having psychologic issue

Is it so difficult to program friendly or enemy NPCs in the free engines like Unity 5 or Unreal 4 or are the developers just lazy?

News Comments > Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games
34. Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 2, 2016, 03:03 Wesp5

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 23:14:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 16:15:
So can someone explain to me exactly why steam is this evil devil of software?

Steam is great...as long as you don't mind not having tech support. Or it being in russian, or them not actually responding to your requests. And the paid mods thing they tried, but otherwise it's still great.

You forgot Steam selling games that won't work without third party patches and the whole way Valve build their monopol by forcing Counter-Strike users into Steam in the first place...

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Released
5. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Released May 18, 2016, 03:13 Wesp5

I still can't get over the stupid setting. I mean North Korea occuping the USA? How could this even be remotely possible?  

News Comments > P.O.L.L.E.N Released
1. Re: P.O.L.L.E.N Released Apr 20, 2016, 11:57 Wesp5

Now is this just another walking simulator, this time on a space station, or something more? And if it is, is it really so difficult to program some decent friendly or hostile AI for all the indies out there?  

178 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo