Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for  

Real Name     
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname dubfanatic
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 18, 1999, 17:13
Total Comments 1843 (Pro)
User ID 169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 19, 2018, 17:46 dubfanatic

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 19, 2018, 11:12:
Could it be that the demand for $1k+ phones is diminishing?

It's getting increasingly difficult to justify buying a new smartphone every year or two when the improvements are so small and/or gimmicky. At this point, the main driver for smartphone upgrades seems to be degradation of the battery.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Riot Games Sued Over Gender Discrimination
4. Re: Riot Games Sued Over Gender Discrimination Nov 7, 2018, 01:27 dubfanatic

This can't be true, Riot is far too woke to be doing anything like this!  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 17, 2018, 20:31 dubfanatic

Oh you naive COO. It doesn't matter if you don't want to, the mob will force you to.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 15, 2018, 23:46 dubfanatic

Wesley Willis would be proud. Hopefully it doesn't suck a male camel's dick with hoisin sauce.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. removed Oct 7, 2018, 22:13 dubfanatic

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 8, 2018, 08:38.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
11. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 6, 2018, 16:07 dubfanatic

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 15:29:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 14:57:
Honestly, anyone who backs up personal files to a remote computer is not quite right in the head IMHO.

Then I must very obviously not be "quite right in the head" because I backup personal files to a remote machine daily and hourly, depending upon the file location.

It's called an "offsite backup" and is a required part of any robust backup solution. Backing up locally is all fine and well until you have a natural disaster, say flooding from a hurricane or the largest wildfire in US history, that destroys your location and all infrastructure.

Backing up to a remote server that you control is good. Backing up to a "cloud service" with an opaque EULA, where who knows what is happening to your data is not. Just ask the researchers who got their Google Docs papers locked due to false positives of their "harmful content" scanning. No way in hell am I trusting any cloud provider. I'll set up my own storage VPS with automatic security updates. It takes a little effort but at least I don't have to worry about some algorithm going haywire and locking me out of my own documents and then being treated like a criminal when I contact support (if they have any)

News Comments > Assistant Accused of Stealing from Gearbox Boss
7. Re: Assistant Accused of Stealing from Gearbox Boss Sep 30, 2018, 17:43 dubfanatic

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2018, 16:30:
Well, the entire point of hiring someone like this is so you don't have to worry about those kinds of things and just focus on work, which in Randy's case is extremely time consuming. Still, I agree that a monthly check of a bank statement could have caught this earlier. Also, what does Kristy do? Does she work? Often in a situation where one spouse makes a ton of money, the other doesn't work. If so, she should have been on top of this.

Sure, but he already had a record of crimes going back to his college years. If I were a multi-millionaire looking for a personal assistant, any candidate had better have a squeaky clean record if they want to be hired.

News Comments > Assistant Accused of Stealing from Gearbox Boss
3. Re: Assistant Accused of Stealing from Gearbox Boss Sep 30, 2018, 16:19 dubfanatic

They didn't do a background check on this guy? They didn't notice that he was charging these huge expenses to their business account until they ran out of money to cover the payments? That doesn't excuse what this guy did but if the Pitchfords had done a little more due diligence they could have saved themselves a huge headache. I guess it's unsurprising given Randy's record with Gearbox...  

News Comments > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 Next Month
1. Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 5 Next Month Sep 27, 2018, 17:42 dubfanatic

After the Karlsson trade they don't need to make the trade AI smart to be realistic  

News Comments > Pearl Abyss Acquiring CCP Games
8. Re: Pearl Abyss Acquiring CCP Games Sep 7, 2018, 03:38 dubfanatic

If you thought EVE couldn't possibly get any more boring...  

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 4, 2018, 21:36 dubfanatic

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 4, 2018, 20:19:
twitter
the last true bastion of free speech.
god bless'em

Twitter: dump not exempt from being banned
oh please oh please oh please oh please

lol it's funny because you said DUMP instead of TRUMP hahaha

News Comments > Riot Commits to Change
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 29, 2018, 19:21 dubfanatic

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Aug 29, 2018, 19:14:
Cutter wrote on Aug 29, 2018, 19:08:
And what's wrong with that? It's a joke. Lighten the fuck up already. People losing their jobs simply because they say something that someone else finds offensive? That's fucking insane! That's PC bullshit out of control. That's downright Orwellian. What next? Re-education camps and torture until people think "correctly"? Doubleplus good, comrade!

So you'd be cool if your boss started hitting on your girlfriend "as a joke"? I mean its just a joke right? Can't you take a joke? Loosen up, man. I'd hate for your lack of humor and poor culture fit to have to come up in your next performance review.

(This response is based upon one of the incidents described in the articles on Riot's work culture. If you guys would want to work in such an environment, be my guest, but I sure as fuck wouldn't.)

What you're describing is already illegal, or if not strictly illegal is a legitimate firing offense. But instead of punishing the offender they bring in catlady scolds to police every social interaction. It's the equivalent of bringing in a hazmat team to respond to a broken fluorescent light. But that's the point. SJWism is a totalitarian ideology.

News Comments > Riot Commits to Change
2. Re: Riot Commits to Change Aug 29, 2018, 18:53 dubfanatic

Alright, a good old fashioned struggle session! If worked at Riot I'd be polishing up my resume right now.  

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 20, 2018, 22:15 dubfanatic

Online activists flood Google search results for ‘idiot’ with images of Trump.

drumpf is done for, how can he possibly recover

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
6. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 7, 2018, 22:03 dubfanatic

Cutter wrote on Jul 7, 2018, 17:06:
I think too many of these auto execs have been hitting the pipe pretty hard if they believe for a second this will all roll out smoothly into some glorious automated future. And if robots and AI are taking everyones jobs than what do they need a car for to go anywhere?

The execs likely know full well that it won't work out, but it doesn't matter to them, since they have no skin in the game. By the time the hype dies out and reality sets in, they'll probably be retired or on to another company in a different sector, having collected their bonuses and sold their old company stock at overinflated prices. Some other sucker will take the hit.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 7, 2018, 13:14 dubfanatic

“Rather than building AI to solve the pogo stick problem, we should partner with the government to ask people to be lawful and considerate,” he said. “Safety isn’t just about the quality of the AI technology.”

Yeah, good luck with that. People already don't know how/don't want to behave with human-driven cars. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Level 4 autonomy is a pipe dream. I can see limited autonomous driving vehicles in industrial and recreational uses, but nothing more than that.

News Comments > PUBG Celebrates 400M Players with Sale & Event Pass Plans
5. Re: PUBG Celebrates 400M Players with Sale & Event Pass Plans Jun 19, 2018, 21:41 dubfanatic

Cutter wrote on Jun 19, 2018, 21:39:
400m? That sounds like totes bullshit to me. I know it's crazy popular atm but 400 million unique people have bought this? No way. Very odd considering that whilst the reviews on Steam are mixed they still tilt to mostly negative overall.

Half of those are probably cheaters buying a new account after getting banned.

News Comments > PUBG vs Fortnite Lawsuit
59. Re: PUBG vs Fortnite Lawsuit May 30, 2018, 02:58 dubfanatic

We need someone who has knowledge of South Korean law to weigh in here. Are game mechanics covered under South Korean copyright law? Some here have raised the possibility that this might actually be about code plagiarism. In that case, why would Bluehole not file the suit in the USA, a jurisdiction with very strong laws about plagiarism? Unless someone can read Korean and can access the suit filings (are those even public in South Korea?) we don't really know the details.  

News Comments > PUBG vs Fortnite Lawsuit
18. Re: PUBG vs Fortnite Lawsuit May 29, 2018, 14:32 dubfanatic

chickenboo wrote on May 29, 2018, 11:35:
Considering just how staggeringly large PubG's revenue was last year, you'd think they'd have hired a 50 person team of devs on a 3 month contract to fix the netcode and solve the other play-related issues of this game.

Instead I imagine they've spent their time drawing more digital assets for stocking loot crates with. Does the game still only have TWO maps?

Remember how Minecraft was supposed to get an official mod API but they had to give up because it was nearly impossible to implement on the existing code base? I suspect Bluehole has a similar problem with PUBG. In order to get the Unreal Engine to work on an 64 km˛ map with 100 players they had to take some shortcuts, like offloading most game world interactions to the client, and most of the game's issues stem from those shortcuts.

I also can't imagine Bluehole would have an easy time hiring experienced game devs. South Korea is not a big country and their PC gaming industry is still in relative infancy. Their best bet would be to hire Westerners, but good luck convincing many experienced devs to pull up roots to work in a foreign land with an alien and somewhat closed culture for what would likely be a pay cut and worse working conditions.

As for the desperation aspect, just take a look at their player count since January. That might explain a little bit.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance May 12, 2018, 14:35 dubfanatic

Frank Zappa is rolling over in his grave.  

1843 Comments. 93 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo