Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brian

Real Name Brian   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Bodolza
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Overworked and Underpaid
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 18, 2003, 16:27
Total Comments 620 (Apprentice)
User ID 16753

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2016, 14:55 Bodolza

I keep a big wad of beef fat from trimmings in the freezer in a ziplock, and use that to oil the grill. I just rub it straight on the hot grates. It easy, free, and works great.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black Jun 21, 2016, 14:34 Bodolza

RoboNerd wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 13:20:
I'd just like to point out when the founders wrote the 2nd ammend. single shot rifles were all that the military had as well.

There's some disingenuity on the pro-2nd amendment side. They claim a strict interpretation of the amendment means that ordinary citizens are granted the right to bear arms. "Arms" means all guns, cannons, rockets, bombs, and anything else the military has should be available to all.

If that's not your stand, then you don't actually believe the 2nd amendment should be enforced as written, and think that citizens should be restricted in what arms they can have.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 3, 2016, 14:26 Bodolza

I've been running both Win7 and Win10 concurrently for about a year now, and I see no reason to "upgrade" to 10. Unless you're using a tablet, there's just no advantage to running 10 right now, and plenty of disadvantages.

The UI is a step backwards in every way. It's uglier and more confusing than ever. It's a mish-mash of 7 and 8, so finding any given setting is always a guessing game. I also find Aero much better looking. Most importantly, Win7 doesn't require modifying a bunch of settings and constant vigilance to keep MS from invading your privacy.

21. Re: Why Flying Is So Expensive May 12, 2016, 18:01 Bodolza

BobBob wrote on May 12, 2016, 12:14:
Metric making so much more sense, the continued use of antiquated standard feels embarrassing.

Agreed, except for temperature. Since Fahrenheit is based on human body temperature, and it has finer whole number values, it more relate-able and usable than Celsius. Unlike a lot of other imperial measurements, it's also base10.

5. Re: Into the Black May 5, 2016, 14:04 Bodolza

Spektr wrote on May 5, 2016, 04:51:
I guess that guy knows moray eels are venomous right?

No, they aren't. Also, this is at an aquarium, so the guy is probably a Marine Biologist, who know more about the eels than any of us ever will.

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Catalyst Delayed
5. Re: Mirror's Edge Catalyst Delayed Apr 22, 2016, 13:09 Bodolza

If they're pushing it back this close to release, it means massive play issues or game-killing bugs. They might fix the big bugs, but this is EA, so don't expect any of the small ones to ever get fixed.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
19. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 14, 2016, 15:20 Bodolza

Flak wrote on Apr 13, 2016, 14:51:
BMW drivers would like to have a word with you...

Seriously. In my experience, BMW and Prius drivers are the worst on the road. If I'm dodging a vehicle, it's usually one or the other.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY IX on PC
19. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX on PC Apr 14, 2016, 15:16 Bodolza

Anyone know if this plays okay with just a keyboard? Going on a trip, and I'm looking for something that will work well on a laptop.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2016, 13:19 Bodolza

It's incremental and it starts at 5%. Labor at a restaurant is typically 30% of running expenses, so that minimum wage increase is increasing their costs around 2%, and it doesn't even go into effect until next year. You're "really awesome" restaurant is clearly using this as an excuse to screw over its customers.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 12:48 Bodolza

I feel like this covers it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJyMT4ZVQEc

11. Re: Into the Black Mar 16, 2016, 12:50 Bodolza

I blame Spielberg a lot more than Lucas for the problems with the last one. The lazy performances, bad visuals, and overall lack of energy in the film are all on the shoulders of the director. I didn't have any problems with the story, personally. I thought the story elements fit right in with the other films.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2016, 13:04 Bodolza

They left off the most interesting Oreo fact - that they're a knock-off of Hydrox. I always preferred Hydrox when I was a kid, but I haven't seen them in years.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 2, 2016, 14:12 Bodolza

At 8 feet away from a 65" screen, the difference between 1080P and 4K is apparent, but incremental. Standard HD still look really good, but you can certainly tell the difference. It's especially obvious on very high-contrast scenes, like city shots at night.

Streaming quality is all over the place. Netflix 4K stuff is generally pretty good, but Youtube videos with any amount of motion can get very blocky.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
7. Re: Sunday Interviews Feb 22, 2016, 20:04 Bodolza

They should have titled this article "Millennials finally learn they shouldn't trust journalists."

6. Re: Into the Black Jan 27, 2016, 15:27 Bodolza

Cabezone wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 04:55:
It was not. Everything the actors handled and used was a real prop.
Everything? JJ had working lightsabers?

This bullshit never happens. A bunch of people waving their swords around pretending to fight something not there.
Except the parts in the video showing Rey on a 100% green set. Or everything that takes place in space. Or the entire rathgar sequence. Or all the stuff with Snoke.

They almost never shot outside of a studio in the prequels.
Which let Lucas create whatever he could think up, giving us planets, characters, and environments that we'd never seen before.

News Comments > Star Wars: Imperial Commando Rumor
11. Re: Star Wars: Imperial Commando Rumor Jan 26, 2016, 12:39 Bodolza

My recollection was that Republic Commando was incredibly repetitive. Room, hall, door, room, hall, door, room, hall, etc.

Playing for the Empire this time? So will Disney give us missions to torch villagers?

News Comments > Oculus Rift $599
29. Re: Oculus Rift $599 Jan 6, 2016, 14:05 Bodolza

Wow - way to smother the baby in the crib, Facebook. In order for this to have gone mainstream, it needed to be inexpensive enough to be an impulse buy. This price, plus the cost of the video card most people will need, kills any chance of that happening.

I predict a low sales volume, which means it's going to take at least a couple more years for the price to come down to something reasonable. So much for 2016 being the year of VR.

24. Re: Into the Black Dec 15, 2015, 13:07 Bodolza

This has never been more appropriate.  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2015, 15:11 Bodolza

jdreyer wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 04:49:
- Anakin's turn to the dark side is wholly unconvincing.
- Order 66 is a complete deus ex machina from out of the blue

Probably my last post on this subject since it's time to move on, but I've got to address these two, since they've always bugged me when people mention them.

I disagree thoroughly with the first. It was well established in the OT that changing to the Dark Side is fast.

Yoda: But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.
Luke: Vader... Is the dark side stronger?
Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

Emperor: Good, I can feel your anger. I am defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!

According to the OT, joining the dark side is like flipping a switch. The single action of killing the Emperor would have converted Luke to the dark side.

Lucas spent an entire movie and a half on Anakin's transition to the dark side. Anakin was well on his way before even joining Palpatine. He'd slaughtered the Tuskens and killed an unarmed Dooku.

As for Order 66, it was "out of the blue", but also clearly planned since AotC. It was established in AotC that the clones were programmed to obey specifc orders, and the programming was done under the direction of Palpatine.

Lama Su: We modified their genetic structure to make them less independent than the original host. As a result they are totally obedient, taking any order without question.

Obviously, orders 66 was done in secret, but their actions were completely in character with what we knew about the clone army.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2015, 02:31 Bodolza

1badmf wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 23:02:
ok here's an anyeurism inducer that you'd have to be willfully blind to not see:

in rotj leia says she remembers her mother, yet in revenge we know she died in childbirth. so unless you're gonna make up some more unnecessary force induced bullshit, that makes no fucking sense.

First of all, why is the force "bullshit"? Leia is the daughter of the most powerfull Jedi that ever lived. Second, she didn't die in childbirth. She died after seeing and naming both children. It's not clearly established in the movie how long afterwards she died.

Here's the actual dialog:
Luke: Leia, do you remember your mother, your real mother?
Leia: Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.
Luke: What do you remember?
Leia: Just images really, feelings.

It's clear from the dialog that she just barely remembers her.

also it makes no sense for kenobi to say that yoda was the one who trained him when it was mostly qui-gon. yet another inconsistency when they could just as easily have had yoda train him.

Think about what you're saying. You can't just replace Qui Gon with Yoda. First of all, Yoda isn't going to running around the Galaxy with Obi Wan, so you lose the mentor role. You also can't kill off Yoda at the end. It would have caused all sorts of story problems.

I'm not sure why you see this as an issue, anyways. You really think this dialog would be better?
Obi-Wan: You will go to the Dagobah system.
Luke: Dagobah system?
Obi-Wan: There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me from the ages of 3 to 12. I had another master after Yoda who trained me until I was 17, but you won't meet him in person because he died about 30 years ago.

and the way anakin blows up the trade fed battleship... it stretches credibility, to put it lightly.
I agree, but so does a few hundred short bears taking out an elite Imperial squadron. I'm not saying the prequels are perfect, but there sure does seem to be a loss of perspective. So many of the criticisms about the prequels also apply to the OT.

and not for nothing, but padme had to be a braindead idiot to fall for a whiny, hate filled little bitch like anakin.
And do demonstrate my last point, https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bsb9ZTmbSKQ#t=79

620 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo