Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Brian

Real Name Brian   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Bodolza
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description Overworked and Underpaid
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 18, 2003, 16:27
Total Comments 814 (Graduate)
User ID 16753

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
19. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 16, 2019, 15:40 Bodolza

I was pretty surprised when playing Star Wars BF2 that only the skins for white guys were unlocked by default. You actually had to spend "credits" to unlock the Black or Asian skins. And this is in a game released by a major studio in the last couple of years.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: Fan game not protected Oct 16, 2019, 15:06 Bodolza

No, they've never been protected, but companies would frequently leave them alone for PR reasons. Parodies are protected, but not remakes. Lucasfilm was a rare company that actually encouraged fan work. Disney, however, is on the opposite end of that spectrum, so those days are over.  

News Comments > Fortnite Chapter 2 Launches
5. Re: Fortnite Chapter 2 Launches Oct 15, 2019, 14:15 Bodolza

As someone who's never played, any point in jumping in at this time? Or am I going to get completely destroyed by everyone with equipment that's 20x more powerful than what you start with?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2019, 13:28 Bodolza

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Oct 15, 2019, 13:21:
What I have said is "Climate Change" is an all encompassing term which cannot be refuted since it's so broad and almost meaningless.

So your real problem is with the term? What would you like to call it then?

News Comments > On Microsoft Flight Simulator VR Plans
24. Re: On Microsoft Flight Simulator VR Plans Oct 15, 2019, 13:09 Bodolza

SDE isn't an issue with the current generation of VR headsets. Plus, the nice thing about VR is that if something is too small to read, you can just lean forward to get a closer look. The first version of Flight Sim I used ran at 320x200, so I'm not super concerned about resolution anyways.

I see the bigger problem with controls. There haven't been any good interfaces yet that let you seamlessly use both the VR controllers for things like flipping switches and HOTAS for controls. Something like Elite's gaze based system might work, but it's not truely analogous. It also doesn't help that we have so many different controller types in VR.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 11, 2019, 12:16 Bodolza

If you're a misogynistic sociopath who's not interested in an actual relationship, those pick-up techniques can be effective.  

General Discussion > Responsive layout
10. No subject Oct 10, 2019, 13:32 Bodolza

Looks pretty good, except a) The hamburger button is enabled way too soon. Looks like it gets enabled around 4x3, which is a closer to a standard monitor dimension than phone dimensions. b) The day separator is excessively tall. The dimensions of the current day separator are fine.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 26, 2019, 13:03 Bodolza

According to the article the only change Google is making to comply with the law is to stop showing parts of the body of the news articles and only show the headline. This seems like a perfectly reasonable outcome for all parties.  

14. Re: George Lucas felt Sep 24, 2019, 16:16 Bodolza

In my opinion, TPM is very watchable (I just watched again a couple weeks ago). AotC has a middle chunk with major issues, but the start and end are good. RotS is one of my favorites. I also enjoyed Rogue One.

The sequels, on the other hand -- I hated TFA for reasons this review sums up perfectly - https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/06/28/star-wars-the-force-alluded-to

I liked TLJ a bit more, but mostly because I had stopped caring at that point. That said, I started watching it a second time on video, and couldn't make it very far because I just didn't care about anyone or anything happening.

Lucas's sequels might not have been "good", but they sound a lot more interesting than what we got from Disney.

Also, speaking as someone with a biology degree, I thought the midi-chlorians were brilliant.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 24, 2019, 15:51 Bodolza

Drath71 wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 21:02:
The better question: Are people with poor judgement more likely be exploited?

Are we really expecting 13 year olds to have good judgement?

News Comments > Industry Group: Steam Refund Ruling Incorrect
20. Re: Industry Group: Steam Refund Ruling Incorrect Sep 20, 2019, 18:32 Bodolza

NKD wrote on Sep 20, 2019, 18:02:
It doesn't take a genius to see how disruptive this would be

Just like Steam was massively disruptive to resellers and resulted in much higher prices for gamers. How's Gamestop doing these days? I use to be able to wait a few months to pick up a game for cheap since I didn't care about having the latest and greatest. Now I have to wait literally years for a comparable sale on Steam.

News Comments > Industry Group: Steam Refund Ruling Incorrect
10. Re: Industry Group: Steam Refund Ruling Incorrect Sep 20, 2019, 15:01 Bodolza

Zord wrote on Sep 20, 2019, 13:24:
I don't own any of my Steam games, operating systems, phone apps, etc. I can't resell something I don't own.

As long as it's not an OEM version that came with the computer, you can sell your operating system software. If you bought your phone apps outside of the Apple/Google store you could also resell it. DRM is what's preventing you from reselling items bought through Google Play, Steam, et.al.

It's about time that digital goods started to be treated the same as physical. The only real difference between buying a physical copy of a game from Best Buy's website, which I'd be free to resell, and ordering it off Steam, is that the first is much worse for the environment.

News Comments > French Court Says Steam Should Allow Game Resales
41. Re: French Court Says Steam Should Allow Game Resales Sep 20, 2019, 13:25 Bodolza

Anyone predicting doom and gloom should remember that this is the way the games industry worked for 20+ years before Steam and the other digital stores started to take over. The music and video industries for much, much longer. The companies hated it then, too, but they still did just fine.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 17, 2019, 13:01 Bodolza

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 19:41:
At this point, there is zero reason people shouldn't be using a VPN at home

Unless you want to stream any media from the big providers, since they all block commercial VPN addresses.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2019, 13:59 Bodolza

"The Mask is painted in dark metallic gray with black accents"

All my life I thought Darth Vader's mask was black. Today I learned it was dark gray.

News Comments > Morning Patches
2. Re: Morning Patches Aug 16, 2019, 13:08 Bodolza

Word on the street is that the VR implementation is hot garbage - to no one's surprise. Even people with 2080ti's are struggling to get decent frame rates.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2019, 13:03 Bodolza

Welcome to the middle ages, Blue.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Aug 12, 2019, 14:05 Bodolza

Nespresso pods are made from aluminum and recyclable.  

11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2019, 20:01 Bodolza

Scheherazade wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 19:15:
Your game is ignoring the line right after the one you quoted
The line after you wrote
To which the news coverage was : "Trump said 'send them back'".
was
The trump social media summit, where a cnn reporter was going around to reporters who were invited saying shit like 'fight me bro'.
I didn't ignore your next line, but it has no bearing on the line I did quote, so I didn't include it. I only include the quotes I'm commenting on directly to keep it clear what my comments are about.

Trump is not liable for other people's imagination. He said one thing, people criticise another. Not his problem.
People are critisizing him for exactly what he wrote.

Take a-few-words sized fragments from anyone's spoken/written history and build any monster you please.
This is the definition of a strawman argument. You're arguing against something people aren't doing. News organizations aren't pulling out select words from Trumps statements and making new entirely new statements. Yes, headlines don't have the full quote. They never do, and it would be ridiculous to expect them to have a headline that was a paragraph long. The actual content of the articles paraphrase his entire statement, have a link to the whole think, or have the full statement.

You can read it yourself 'taken in its entirety' and see the difference between what he said and how it was covered.
I obviously have read the whole statement. The NY Times article YOU linked to has the full content, and the others you linked to explain why Trumps statement is considered racist by many, since there are a lot of people in this country that don't understand why.

9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2019, 14:57 Bodolza

Scheherazade wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 14:29:
~Nowhere says [something like] : Trump said "go back to where you came from".
So by your own admission, you know your statement wasn't true. Who's the one playing games?

a selective out of context summary designed to mislead.
Which is your opinion. If you read the first NPR article you linked to you'd understand why telling someone to "go back..from which they came" has a racist meaning to a lot of Americans.

If you let people consider the entire paragraph it's extracted from, it goes from offensive to mundane.
No, it really doesn't. The paragraph starts off with "originally came from countries" when most were born in the USA. That's already problematic, especially when targeted only at people of color.

Trump's supporters clearly understood his meaning since they started chanting "Send her back" during his rally.

814 Comments. 41 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo