Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Xero

Real Name Xero   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 29, 2003, 01:39
Total Comments 2052 (Senior)
User ID 16605

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed

1. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 16, 2020, 20:12 Xero

Do yo thang CDPR.  

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Trine 4
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year

49. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 14, 2020, 14:54 Xero

What would be sweet is if someone could call out with the Ultimate Gaming Launcher. I call it UGL for short. What it does you see, is it allows you to run all your games from any library you have all through one single launcher. I don't know the schematics behind how it will work at all but I do know that it would be awesome.  

News Comments > Get Sundered: Eldritch Edition for Free

2. removed Jan 10, 2020, 11:19 Xero

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 10, 2020, 12:37.

News Comments > New Batman Game Tease?

4. Re: New Batman Game Tease? Jan 9, 2020, 13:52 Xero

Interesting to hear this as I just decided to finally dig into all these games. I've owned them forever and never played them much. Started in order obviously so I'm nearly done with Arkham Asylum. I'm at the big Joker boss fight. Looking forward to getting through this to get to the more modern ones.  

News Comments > Morning Patches

5. Re: Morning Patches Jan 6, 2020, 15:15 Xero

The original was awesome. I never got into the second as much as the original although it seemed good. I just never got into it. This might help nowadays.

Mafia 3 I also gave a shot but could not get into it. It felt a tad clunky on the controls however looked amazing. I might give it another go some other time. Too much backlog with other worthy titles.

News Comments > Steam Top 10

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2020, 13:52 Xero

Spektr wrote on Jan 6, 2020, 13:18:
I enjoyed the Witcher series though it was a bit too short but I had some issue with the directing in a few episode where the quality was sub par, for instance the dragon hunt. The dragon's voice was really laughable, with his English accent and stuff. I understand they had to make sure people would get what was going on but after seeing Game of Thrones or the Hobbit that really felt cheap. The mountain climb and the scenery really looked bland.. Apart from that, most scenes like the forest scenes and the village scenes were fine. I get it that spending money on big battles and cgi effects on the first season may have been more complicated. (All the battle scenes were avoided in the first season of Game of Thrones)

I thought the opposite mostly. I thought the village scenes looked kind of cheap. Can almost tell the "wooden" buildings were plastic sprayed to look like wood.

I liked the grand shots they displayed. Looked pretty good for a "tv" show.

For me the worst was that bug creature CGI. I nearly quit right when I saw that, lol.

News Comments > Morning Patches

1. Re: Morning Patches Jan 6, 2020, 11:04 Xero

Sweet. Might have to give this a shot.  

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2020, 09:59 Xero

The Pyro wrote on Jan 6, 2020, 09:29:
I thoroughly enjoyed season 1 of the Witcher, but I did have to explain a few things to the wife who hasn't read the books. The time jumps were definitely confusing. On the one hand, it would have been nice to have a little caption e.g. "20 years ago" vs. "Present day" to set the scene. On the other hand, I think a little confusion was intended so that the audience would wonder about Geralt's whereabouts during the sack of Cintra. I kinda liked the ambiguity towards the end.

RIP first-time viewers who bought the The Wild Hunt only to have a major book/show plot point spoiled...

Same here. Frequent pauses with the wife to explain wtf was going on and that was before I even knew about the timeline jump and was lost myself. I honestly don't know how a non-Witcher fan whether book or game would have any idea how to follow this.

Big help is watching with subtitles on. Their accents made it difficult to understand at times and added to clearing up a lot of small details.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 5, 2020, 18:42 Xero

I also agree that the show brought the players. I hated the jumping timeline decisions of the show but whatever. I can get over it for a better season 2 without that.

Happy to see W3 back in numero uno spot. Hope everyone installing the HD mods because it is still gorgeous to this day.

News Comments > The Steam Awards 2019 Winners

8. Re: The Steam Awards 2019 Winners Jan 1, 2020, 22:17 Xero

Kxmode wrote on Jan 1, 2020, 22:12:
Game of the Year: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Was hoping Jedi Fallen Order would've won to send a powerful message to EA that single-player story-driven games are not only hugely profitable but worthy of winning a Steam award.

Labor of Love: Grand Theft Auto V

Still feel like Path of Exile should win here. Last year was a massive boost to the game: four updates plus a sequel announcement.

Outstanding Story-Rich Game: A Plague Tale: Innocence

My first choice was Greed Fall. But this is great too. Plus that Sean Bean trailer is awesome.

I find it interesting that Disco Elysium (a fantastic RPG by the way) didn't win a single award and yet they won four at TGA, more than any other game. It makes you wonder if there's a disconnect between the critics and the people.

I'm glad there. Sometimes we blindly follow the critics and it removes our own chance to have an opinion on something.

A critic says a movie sucked. Okay so now you go and talk to someone that asks, how was that movie? Well, I don't know. A critic said it sucked so I decided to not watch it and assume it sucked as well.

The problem there is that we all have our differences in life and how can another's opinion decide how I should have an outlook on something else when they aren't me? Oh well. That is life how we know it.

News Comments > New Year's Eve Metaverse

6. Re: New Year's Eve Metaverse Dec 31, 2019, 20:32 Xero

I don't think the lack of waiting for each week for an episode hurts entirely. If people hear any chatter about a show, they would like to pick up from the beginning and not just start wherever the next episode is at. By being able to start at the beginning once they hear about a show is a benefit.

Believe me, I get what the author is saying but that is old school thinking. I thought that way also. Like the fact you had to wait another week and just speculate on what might happen but ultimately, having it readily available is awesome because we don't have to wait. If we are enjoying it enough, we will bring it up to co-workers or friends regardless if we are waiting a week or not.

That and you need Netflix so if you already have it, most likely you are already aware it's available but unsure if it's worth watching. I dunno, I just think it's a new format to deliver content and not a bad one.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Hits New High Player Count

26. Re: The Witcher 3 Hits New High Player Count Dec 31, 2019, 12:48 Xero

Flatline wrote on Dec 31, 2019, 12:02:
Slashman wrote on Dec 30, 2019, 21:53:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 30, 2019, 19:17:
Probably because the series isnt that great.

GTFO of here. The series is awesome.

The series is problematic in it's first season structure. I read all the goddamn books and the time-jumping plotlines is *poorly* handled. Unless you're paying close attention it's hard to tell that decades pass before you get to Cintra falling. I mean... Dandilion Jaskier throws away a line with Geralt in the Last Wish or whatever it's called in the show about how it's been 10 years since he's seen Geralt last or met him or something like that. We don't even get the joke that Geralt names *all* his horses Roach, although it's implied that if we're seeing like 40 years of time pass (or at least around 20) that Geralt probably has had multiple horses.

Also, we see Geralt drinking potions, but it's never established that these are special potions and one of the reasons *why* he was mutated. I guess we'll find that out over time in the series, but a lot of the texture of what a witcher is is shown but not related to the viewer. At this point, you need knowledge beforehand.

Usually I'm in favor of trusting audiences to be intelligent enough to get what's going on, but in this case, some year and location cards would help a lot. Even sticking with "A long time ago" "some time ago" and "Now" would have worked a *lot* to keep the 3 timelines working concurrently. Either that or color motifs, or something.

The up shot though is that unless they are pants-on-head retarded, the storytelling should get more straightforward in season 2. Geralt has met Ciri and Yen will be involved, so that timeline is easier to track. If you see Geralt alone or with Yen but they never mention Ciri, you're in the past. Same with Yennifer.

Otherwise the series was solid, at times good. I like the Striga story, it was well done, I also like most of the story updates the writers did. The one where the elves capture Geralt felt highly abbreviated, although it's been 10 years since I've read the book. Cavill makes a great Geralt, and I really, really wish we could see him as Witcher 3 Geralt, grizzled, white beard, and a little more rounded than his earlier days.

I also appreciate that there's enough nods to the video game, usually visually, to make game players feel closer to home.

They've kind of butchered the internal logic of magic however. They established early on that it requires life force to do something as simple as lift a stone, but we see mages do all kinds of shit without killing off the life around them (which would be badass- that's Dark Sun's defiler mages) or withering like a flower. I get that too much magic does physical damage to mages once they get out of their training, but they need someone to really manage the continuity of what their magic can and can't do.

Overall, it feels like it's a hit with existing fans, but I have trouble recommending it to new viewers without some kind of primer, and that's just bad writing and if anything will be what kills the series off.

I can second all of that. Granted I'm only up to episode 6 and have been enjoying each one however I was only familiar with Witcher 3 and not the books. With that said, the timeline jump up while watching up to episode 3 ... until someone at work told me about it, I had no idea.

Rewatching back episode 1-3 knowing about the timeline jump and turning on subtitles helps so much. There is a lot that might not be properly heard or missed and there are so many details that it's easy to get lost quickly. I was basically the guide for my wife watching it with me who has no idea what the series is about and for someone with no knowledge, they will find it VERY hard to get into the show. There is no hand holding for non-fans of the books or games.

I think that ultimately will hurt them. One guy at my job turned off episode 1 within 30 minutes stating he was bored as hell not knowing what they were talking about. My sister said her boyfriend fell asleep in episode 2 completely clueless and uninterested. I think that's a key factor. They kind of failed to grab the mainstream audience that has no clue what the series is about because they are really targeting the show towards the readers or gamers (primarily the readers).

It is not a mainstream viewer friendly show. Very hard to get into if you have no idea what you are getting into.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Hits New High Player Count

4. Re: The Witcher 3 Hits New High Player Count Dec 30, 2019, 20:40 Xero

That's awesome. I'm one of those numbers but I've been at it on my 2nd playthrough waaaay before the show came out. In fact I think I started somewhere in August of this year...

I tried the second and while the graphics are still pretty damn good, the actual gameplay itself was a tad putting me off after being spoiled with 3. I just couldn't get myself to stick with it.

That said, there is more than enough content in 3 to be happy with if it's the only one you'll ever play in your life. I'm nearing 284 hours with my 2nd playthrough coming to an end. I've been a lot more thorough this time around, taking my time with every piece of dialogue and making sure I initiate every possible quest. It's felt like an entirely different game than my first time around. That and with the HD mod installed, it breathed new life in an already gorgeous game.

News Comments > Boxing Day Patches

9. Re: Boxing Day Patches Dec 27, 2019, 10:00 Xero

Creston wrote on Dec 26, 2019, 13:14:
Xero wrote on Dec 26, 2019, 12:26:
Just reading what you said, I can actually see how that might improve gameplay on a more strategic side. Since there is no penalty for basically spamming your attacks, it really does seem rather generic when you are in combat. Basically spamming until whatever it is drops dead.

Err, unless you're playing on Don't Hurt Me Daddy difficulty level, if you spam attacks in the Witcher 3, you're going to get your ass handed to you by the majority of monsters.

With fatigue, it would make you time your attacks moreso and actually use dodge/parry more often.

Are you saying you rarely dodge/parry in TW3? How do you stay alive? If you go up against a group of drowners and don't dodge almost constantly, how don't you get chopped to bits in five seconds?

In the end, a "realistic" mod that ignores that Geralt is mutated and significantly stronger than a regular human being, plus has 70+ years of experience in swordfighting is kind of humorous anyway. I'm fairly sure Geralt can swing a sword more than five times before he gets "tired."

also, on signs:
Conversely, investing points into this tree will give you very powerful signs.

Witcher signs AREN'T very powerful. Witchers are not mages. How is this "lore friendly"?

Well, you are correct on that. I do use Dodge A LOT. Parry not so much. I don't even think I have a key bound for it.

I also agree, it is rather difficult on higher difficulty with New Game+. Almost ridiculous but often it's just repetitive, dodge and hit, dodge and hit.

I'm not sure how well adding fatigue would overall make sense with the story, but again, it might add for some intriguing layers of strategy to a dark souls type of level if you need to plan your attack a tad bit more than just dodge hit, dodge hit. I think that was the games biggest complaint/weakness was that the combat was rather basic.

I never truly cared. It was satisfying enough to see limbs fly and ultimately to just progress the story, that is what I wanted.

8. Re: Boxing Day Patches Dec 27, 2019, 09:53 Xero

jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2019, 00:48:
Simon Says wrote on Dec 26, 2019, 16:55:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 26, 2019, 15:58:
What's a good mod to improve the visuals?

The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project:
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1021

Sweet, thanks.

Yes! This is an awesome mod. Just an FYI. Even after you install the .EXE of it, make sure you go to your graphic options and move the slider all the way over until it indicates the HD mod.

I played probably 15 hours worth of my 2nd playthrough with the mod installed not realizing the HD mod wasn't activated. I still thought it was gorgeous and taking screenshots. You can only imagine what I thought once I slid the bar over and actually enabled it

News Comments > Squadron 42 Video

10. Re: Squadron 42 Video Dec 26, 2019, 13:25 Xero

At this point they are just treating the ones pouring money into their game as total idiots. They think they can just blindly throw graphix and visuals at you to hide the fact of a lack of game. I mean, I don't know, but anyone throwing money at this needs to have their head examined at this point.

Let them finish the product on their own like any other studio would have by now and if they still have no release by 2021, might want to think about a class action lawsuit, lol.

Roberts probably floating on his million dollar yacht laughing all the way to the bank.

2. Re: Boxing Day Patches Dec 26, 2019, 12:26 Xero

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 26, 2019, 12:18:
Hrm, interesting... oh, new 'fatigue' system. More 'realistic'. Pass.

Just reading what you said, I can actually see how that might improve gameplay on a more strategic side. Since there is no penalty for basically spamming your attacks, it really does seem rather generic when you are in combat. Basically spamming until whatever it is drops dead.

With fatigue, it would make you time your attacks moreso and actually use dodge/parry more often. While I myself am not in a mood to change the game at this point. I'm nearly done with my 2nd play through, it does sound like good a good improvement for someone starting over and wanting a more technical/strategic combat aspect.

News Comments > Get Totally Accurate Battle Simulator for Free

15. Re: Get Totally Accurate Battle Simulator for Free Dec 26, 2019, 09:15 Xero

Is this worth it to pay for and add to my STEAM collection?  

News Comments > Black Mesa Xen Release

8. Re: Black Mesa Xen Release Dec 24, 2019, 19:01 Xero

chickenboo wrote on Dec 24, 2019, 14:09:
Xero wrote on Dec 24, 2019, 13:12:
Sweet. I suppose I'll wait until it's out of EA though before actually giving it a shot. I already got up to the point of Xen and uninstalled it a couple years ago. I can wait longer if need be...

Did the same thing, got up to Xen and have held back since. I'm planning on performing a complete new playthrough since this remaster is so darn good! I think this is close enough for me, I could wait for official non-EA release but it won't be extensions of levels or story, simply bug fixes and further mod support.

I'm going to play this time entirely with the Steam Controller from the couch for that big screen experience.

Brah, if you want to enjoy that experience, I highly advise against doing that, lol. Use the big screen, but stick with the mouse and keyboard. Yeesh.

News Comments > Black Mesa Xen Release

1. Re: Black Mesa Xen Release Dec 24, 2019, 13:12 Xero

Sweet. I suppose I'll wait until it's out of EA though before actually giving it a shot. I already got up to the point of Xen and uninstalled it a couple years ago. I can wait longer if need be...  

2052 Comments. 103 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >