Total Posts
418 (Amateur)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

418 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 17.
Newer [  1    6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ] Older

Re: Doom Dilemma
Aug 2, 2004, 11:52
Re: Doom Dilemma Aug 2, 2004, 11:52
Aug 2, 2004, 11:52

When the fuck did I say it was okay to infringe?

You are not taking it, you are making an illegal copy of it. There is a difference. Hence the very existence of COPYRIGHT.

If you don't care to know the difference, that's your business. If you want to look ignorant by screaming 'stealing!!!' then I guess that's your perogative. Just trying to enlighten people.

The RIAA says it "loses" billions of dollars a year due to MP3 downloading because they assume that A) the crap the produce is worth $100k per downloaded song and B) that it would have been otherwise bought if they hadn't downloaded it. Minor fact they seem to ignore is that the money they say they have lost wouldn't have gone to them anyway because it's just not there! It's not a loss if they didn't lose anything! Doesn't make it right to download songs or games or whatever but it's a malevolent abuse of statistics that feeds to minds as ignorant as yours.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 11:54.

Re: Doom Dilemma
Aug 2, 2004, 11:38
Re: Doom Dilemma Aug 2, 2004, 11:38
Aug 2, 2004, 11:38

You stole Doom 3
Not Stealing. Not Stealing.

Copyright infringement! Different evils!
Wrong yes, stealing no.
They fall under different laws with different requirements and different consequences. The ramifications of stealing per instance are greater than copyright infringement in a case like this. Stealing the box off the shelf is a double hit (lost sale + lost merchandise). Copyright infringement is much harder to quantify in general in terms of losses because someone who downloads something would not have necessarily bought it. All the numbers you see of people saying "so and so lost xyz money because of downloading" are bullshit! The money was not lost as they probably wouldn't have bought it anyway. Worse still are the 3rd world countries that do nothing to stop the manufacture and resale of pirated copies. Now not only are they making illegal copies they're making a profit from them, too, which I think is much worse than a 15y/o downloading the latest craze.

Is it right? no. Is it as bad as stealing? In a single instance case, no. There are times when copyright infringement is far worse than stealing. Applying just theft laws to copyright infringement would make it harder to prosecute cases where someone legitimately purchased something and then disseminated or resold it.
Different Crime! Different Law!

/rant

Re: No subject
Aug 2, 2004, 11:25
Re: No subject Aug 2, 2004, 11:25
Aug 2, 2004, 11:25

Yeah I'm pretty sure heat haze in general doesn't need a DX9 capable card. I mean it's just particles with a refraction shader applied right? Refraction was possible even on the Geforce 2.
In theory you don't need a DX9 capable card to do *anything*. I mean, ray tracing has been around for a couple decades now. The question is do you want it in real time or not? You can do it in software but it's a lot slower.

Re: well listen
Aug 2, 2004, 11:21
Re: well listen Aug 2, 2004, 11:21
Aug 2, 2004, 11:21

Most console games lock their framerates.
It's just easier to deal with if you have a consistent target.

Some games lock for 60, some for 30. Some even scale down to 20 in highly detailed areas. It's just the nature of things.

You can have a smooth and enjoyable experience at 20 fps if the camera isn't moving too fast. Though the higher the differential the higher the frame rate needs to be to remain smooth.

And you thought the bastards that limited your camera turn speed to 2 rpm were doing it just to frustrate you...

I'd like to see a day where everything is locked at 60 (or better, 83 where I can't see it flickering) and spare cycles are spent pre-calculating things for the next frame.

Re: On Software Development
Aug 2, 2004, 10:46
Re: On Software Development Aug 2, 2004, 10:46
Aug 2, 2004, 10:46

I also started on developing a game server which could link different systems including Half-Life and Quake 2 so that a player could teleport from one system to another still carrying their same gear...
I was thinking of writing an open master game server that indie games could use to authenticate and server track with. Just a lite thing with a php interface for server browsing. How far did you get with your server there ?

It's a neat idea but I think load times are prohibitive for that sort of thing...

Re: Low expectations- High hopes!
Aug 2, 2004, 10:38
Re: Low expectations- High hopes! Aug 2, 2004, 10:38
Aug 2, 2004, 10:38

That cause your judging the game by the demo. There is quite a lot more variety in Far Cry than at first glance of the rather poor demo.
Like really fucking shitty ladders. GRRR. That nearly made me quit the game and take it back after the carrier level. How could they miss such an obvious flaw like that? Supposedly fixed in 1.2 but I hear that has it's own problems.

The game is not flawless but if you can look around the flaws (That don't actually crop up that often. Just they're really annoying when they do) it is a very fun game.

Re: Regarding Thievery
Aug 2, 2004, 10:36
Re: Regarding Thievery Aug 2, 2004, 10:36
Aug 2, 2004, 10:36

If you have stolen Doom3, you just plain lack character
I've said it before... I'll say it again.
Legally speaking, it's not stealing. It's copyright infringement.
Still wrong, but they are different evils.

*waits patiently for his pre-order to show up at BB*

No subject
Aug 1, 2004, 18:01
No subject Aug 1, 2004, 18:01
Aug 1, 2004, 18:01

Who said being unreligious was a bad thing?

Sadly the US is one of the more religious countries.
It'd be nice if everyone would just get over their delusions.

Re: EB Games
Aug 1, 2004, 16:55
Re: EB Games Aug 1, 2004, 16:55
Aug 1, 2004, 16:55

fred, perhaps if you downloaded a game that turned out to be a lot of fun you wouldn't buy it but some people do.
I've downloaded a couple games and went and bought the collector's edition because it was a good and fun game.
None of the games I have downloaded had a demo. If they had a demo, I probably wouldn't have warezed them.
It is a rare case where I am willing to put down $60+ with out a chance for a test drive.

Re: cumulative security update
Jul 30, 2004, 21:14
Re: cumulative security update Jul 30, 2004, 21:14
Jul 30, 2004, 21:14

Thats why when you install XP (though never was hacked installing it) you do it off network, configure a firewall then get the updates

or burn them to a CD first. You can download them individually from windows update.

Re: For those of you still running IE..
Jul 30, 2004, 19:48
Re: For those of you still running IE.. Jul 30, 2004, 19:48
Jul 30, 2004, 19:48

However, I'm sure there's some sort of hack that allows you to change this...?
Um, I think so, not sure?

Cruise over to LiteStep and see if they've got anything on it.

Hrm, I wonder if LS + opera would cure it

Re: psst
Jul 30, 2004, 19:42
Re: psst Jul 30, 2004, 19:42
Jul 30, 2004, 19:42

Uh, until now I didnt see that option that allows different cookie settings for each website. I might try Opera a bit longer now.

It's very powerful but not terribly intuitive. Takes a little getting used to.

Haven't tried firefox in about a year but I'm happy with opera for the time being.

Re: No subject
Jul 30, 2004, 19:37
Re: No subject Jul 30, 2004, 19:37
Jul 30, 2004, 19:37

Eh. I blame the people who wrote it if it isn't fixed in a reasonable amount of time.
If there's a hole that goes unfixed for a long time it's basically asking people to take advantage of it.
Yeah the people taking advantage of it are assholes and need to be put down but the company/person allowing the hole to exploited would be like the police standing by while someone robs your store. "Yeah, we know he's robbing you, we just don't care."

As always there are a lot of people who foot responsibility.
When someone goes ape and takes out their school, yeah, they're responsible for that act. But society, their parents, and yes GAMES are partially responsible. 7 year olds shouldn't play Doom. Why? Because they're impressionable. So it is the PARENTs' responsibility to keep doom from them, NOT the mfgs or the publisher or the distributor. Adults are responsible for their own actions and as such should be held to them. If they have a "mental defect" then obviously they should be prevented from interacting with the public.

Just like people who write viruses

Someone who behaves like this will behave like this regardless of what games they play, movies they watch, or music they listen to. It is a problem with them. Look at all the people who do these things and DON'T murder people.

Re: psst
Jul 30, 2004, 19:16
Re: psst Jul 30, 2004, 19:16
Jul 30, 2004, 19:16

Another thing I just noticed is that on some webpages it tells me that it cant continue because my cookies arent enabled. But everything is set on "Accept Cookies" and allow etc etc.

I occasionally have issues with cookies in both IE and opera (usually that it's caching them when I have them both set not to).

I generally run with cookies turned off for any site that I don't specifically allow...

All in all I like opera a lot better than IE (even SP2 IE) but it certainly has room for improvements.

Re: For those of you still running IE..
Jul 30, 2004, 19:13
Re: For those of you still running IE.. Jul 30, 2004, 19:13
Jul 30, 2004, 19:13

Just a question...

since it's integrated in the Explorer shell - shouldn't you update with the security patches, regardless of what browser you use, because it's still there?

Very good advice.
ALWAYS install critical updates unless you don't even have that software installed (which means the update for it shouldn't show up, but ... yeah windows update... heh.).
You can generally ignore the updates that are not listed under the critical updates section.

Even if you don't use IE as your browser the updates fix holes in explorer as well. If you download something in firefox and it tries to exploit that hole it won't matter what other browser you use.

Anyway, what if you let someone else use your computer? They might run IE instead of your regular browser.

re: browser domination.
Last I heard IE is still ~93% of the market but slowly dropping (due to the exploit this patch fixes, no less)

Re: cookies.
Cookies can be as much spyware as any other program.
Just because it doesn't actively take over your browser doesn't mean it's not illicitly providing information you did not agree to provide.

As always keep your virus and spyware definitions up to date. Just because it didn't find anything yesterday doesn't mean there isn't something there that they don't know how to check for. Also, if you someone is targeting you specifically they might have written a custom program that won't show up in their definitions. Keep patches up to date. Keep definitions up to date. Don't run with a DMZ if you have NAT. Get a firewall (preferably hardware).

XP SP2 has a built in firewall that is pretty good.

I hear the nForce3 boards have a hardware level firewall (or were planning on having one). Anyone have one that can shed some light on it?

Re: Pie vs. Cake
Jul 28, 2004, 20:08
Re: Pie vs. Cake Jul 28, 2004, 20:08
Jul 28, 2004, 20:08

Sorry, we're all out of cake.

So what, my choices are "Or death"?

No subject
Jul 27, 2004, 02:12
No subject Jul 27, 2004, 02:12
Jul 27, 2004, 02:12

Also keep in mind that if the AGP bus is hogging all the bandwidth it starves other components on the north bridge as well (anything needing to read memory and the CPU!)

Regarding video memory.
Jul 27, 2004, 02:09
Regarding video memory. Jul 27, 2004, 02:09
Jul 27, 2004, 02:09

To clear things up for anyone still confused as to why you would want 512MB of RAM on your video card:

The AGP (and even PCI-E) bus is only so fast. If you don't have all the textures in video memory you need to render a scene you have to wait for it to be loaded from RAM over the BUS. If you have two textures that are constantly being exchanged for one another and say they're 512x512x32bit == 1mb each. Each one needs to be copied out of memory (at least) once per frame. at 60 fps that's 60mb/sec per texture. Usually it'll be more than just one or two textures, frequently it's 5 or 6.
AGP bus is 32bits wide and runs at 66mhz and (assuming 8X AGP) has 8 transfer per clock. So that's 2.112gb/sec (I might be wrong on some of the numbers for current hardware, but that's ballpark).

So let's say you have to displace 10 512x512x32 textures each frame and you're running (or trying to) at 60 fps. That's 1mb/sec x 10 (10mb/sec) * 60 fps for 600mb/sec. But you still need to render those textures too and there's no guarantee of what order you'll need them (sort of) so they need to be loaded back in to the video memory for that frame too. So we're up to 1.2gb/sec transfer over the bus JUST to swap out a handful of textures. We have to transfer model data and level architecture as well. Keep in mind that while the transfer is taking place the video card might not be able to do anything, depending on how the rendering algorithm is written (you probably could do some sort of look-ahead code to see what you'll need and displace something that's already been used and won't be used again this frame to keep the GPU from idling out). So you see, if you don't have to swap it out from RAM it saves you a hell of a lot of bandwidth for other things.

If you don't have enough system RAM to cache the textures the game needs to copy to the video card you'll take a *massive* hit when reading the texture from the disk.

If you ever have any chunkiness in a game at the start of a level or when you enter a new area, likely the game just had to grab something from the disk that had either been displaced from memory or had not been cached in the first place.

Regarding system memory.
Jul 27, 2004, 01:57
Regarding system memory. Jul 27, 2004, 01:57
Jul 27, 2004, 01:57

The more the better. 1GB is a good value for Doom3 (especially if you're hoping to run on ultra).
500mb of texture memory + all the other data it needs to store.
So what if the game doesn't use more than 512? WINDOWS DOES. It will take all the RAM it can get for it's filecache so it won't have to hit the disk for anything.
if your video card can't hold all the textures you damn well better hope you've got them in RAM because if it has to hit the disk to load a texture your framerate just crapped out.

~600mb of RAM for doom3, ~300 for windows in memory file cache, ~100 for whatever else you have running.
1GB is really cheap now, too. less than $250 for REALLY GOOD RAM.

Re: HL2 Hitboxes
Jul 26, 2004, 00:08
Re: HL2 Hitboxes Jul 26, 2004, 00:08
Jul 26, 2004, 00:08

hitboxes are 3d constructs that envelope the extents of the model they are bounding. When you fire a hitscan weapon it draws a ray from the weapon's origin outwards and then does hit tests against hitboxes and the world.

The hitboxes (i think) are probably not going to be used for the final say as to whether something was hit. They are there to allow for an early out. If it hits the hit box it moves to the next step of determining which polygon(s) on the model the shot hit and where the decal should be placed if appropriate.

Hit boxes are always slightly larger than the model (or in some games, greatly... *coughCScough*). Some are static, some can grow dynamically with the model. They're updated every time the animation changes.

If you were dynamically updating hit boxes (say you had a deformable mesh on a creature) you would take the min/max x,y,z values from all vertices that make up that creature and use that to build the hit box (which requires only 2 vertices to generate. Min(x,y,z) of the model and Max(x,y,z) of the model. The other 4 points can be generated using combinations of those 6 values). This tends to be computationally prohibitive if there is a large number of deformable objects in the scene which is why you tend not to see it at all. The coolness factor of dynamic deformations is generally overcome by the easier method of precalculating the the hitboxes for each animation key frame and interoplating between them to smooth things out.

418 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 17.
Newer [  1    6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ] Older