Total Posts
418 (Amateur)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

418 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 16.
Newer [  1    6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ] Older

No subject
Aug 6, 2004, 15:38
No subject Aug 6, 2004, 15:38
Aug 6, 2004, 15:38

I have Nero and Daemon tools installed (handy for testing ISO images to feed in to VMWare) and Doom3 is peachy.

Re: No subject
Aug 6, 2004, 13:42
Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 13:42
Aug 6, 2004, 13:42

The lava pit wasn't all that hard once I figured out which weapons I wanted to use (m249 for the rocket guys, ~15 rnds to the face put them down).

It's just that the auto save point put me 5 minutes of running around doing essentially nothing before where the point *should* have been.

Also annoying was knowing that there were guys up in the building that you had to go to but they weren't "there" until you hit a script trigger that spawned them. Even the first time I went up there I lobbed a few grenades and since no one came out, figured there was no one there. But I hit the script trigger and 6 guys show up. Lame.

Aug 6, 2004, 13:05
Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 13:05
Aug 6, 2004, 13:05

On a whole, Far Cry was not difficult, even on the highest couple difficulty settings. There were just some stand alone points that were difficult because of bad design.

The next to the last boss fight where they stick you behind a podium with no cover was just stupid.
It really highlighted the fact that there AI really wasn't all that great. "Gee, you can make AI that has 5 extraordinarily tough guys shoot grenades. Awesome job."

The outdoor levels were too easy in general because the AI usually couldn't find you. Indoor levels were generally okay until they realized that one v one, or four v one their AI just couldn't stand up to anyone who could click a mouse button so they had to throw in 10 or 20 guys at a time.

I guess my real gripe is that indoors their AI doesn't have as much flexibility and it showed through fairly often, especially when they tried to make up for it in quantity.
Outdoors they worked better in squads though often you never saw that because you were looking at them through the hairs

I liked the weapon approach just fine, it's when they stuck a save point three rooms *after* you stocked up that it was annoying. Really there were just 4 or 5 points where they needed an extra save spot so you wouldn't be backtracked past two or more tough battles.

Aug 6, 2004, 11:41
Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 11:41
Aug 6, 2004, 11:41

The difficulty in Far Cry brought additional tension to the game experience.

Frankly, near the end (on the next to hardest difficulty, keep in mind) the difficulty just got boring. You stopped caring if you died and just started to brute force the situation to get to the end. Run up, figure out how to get past xyz monster, move to the next die, rinse, repeat.

Some of the situations they placed you in were so stupidly hard, not because of being clever but just because it was an unfair position in the extreme (most notably the next-to-last boss fight).

I got annoyed with a couple of the check point saves where you had the option of selecting from each of the weapons and then moving on and hitting a check point. The check point shoul have been before the weapons because the usual loadout sucked donkey balls in the next area (instead of oicw I wanted M249 which meant I had to backtrack down several halls every time I respawned.)

At the end of far cry I didn't give a shit about the game. I just wanted to get to the end to see how their stupid story turned out. If the story had been better and the voice acting better, I might have cared a little more despite the unclever puzzles.

Think, is standing in the middle of a circle of extremely powerful hitscan weapons "clever" or just blatantly unfair? Using lame traps with 3 dozen enemies to cover up their poor skills is something I expected from the last generation of games.

At least with Doom3 you expect it around every corner and there's only 3 or 4 of them.

Re: ill conceived
Aug 6, 2004, 11:34
Re: ill conceived Aug 6, 2004, 11:34
Aug 6, 2004, 11:34

Have to disagree with you on that one. Now, if they made modding the game impossible...then THAT might be dropping the ball. But delivering a game that they (as well as quite a lot of us) enjoy, isn't dropping the ball, in my opinion.

Agreed. The only way id could have 'dropped the ball' on a game that they designed to be their ultimate vision of their own creation was to succumb to the demands of people external to the company to change their vision.

Frankly, imho, they're happy some people enjoy what they enjoyed creating and enjoy playing, and fuck everyone else.
Were I in their shoes if only one person liked the game and I found it fun, it was worth it, even if it didn't sell for shit.

Re: overrated
Aug 4, 2004, 17:20
Re: overrated Aug 4, 2004, 17:20
Aug 4, 2004, 17:20

Ducktape is brand name, not a generic term.

Like Kleenex is a brand name for tissue paper.

Duct tape is the generic name.

Aug 4, 2004, 17:03
Re: overrated Aug 4, 2004, 17:03
Aug 4, 2004, 17:03

As for the flashlight, I think attaching it to the gun would've worked best
So, would that be a flashlight per gun or would you take the time (And duct tape) to swap it to the other gun every time you switched weapons?
What about batteries? How many AA's they got up on Mars these days?

Aug 4, 2004, 17:00
Re: overrated Aug 4, 2004, 17:00
Aug 4, 2004, 17:00

No duck tape on Mars?

None on Earth either, btw.
Duct tape, on the other hand...

Re: Books vs Movies
Aug 2, 2004, 22:57
Re: Books vs Movies Aug 2, 2004, 22:57
Aug 2, 2004, 22:57

They also have to support PAL if they're shipping outside of the US. Then there's 1080i and 480p or whatever the HD resolutions are. You have to make sure that the game doesn't crash on those.

It's not a matter of the silicon driving it, the developer has to support it.

And no, their input is not locked to 1/frame. Unless they choose to do so in their game (or possibly previous 2 generations, but current ones are not explicitly locked).

Best solution is to just develop for PCs
j/k.
No, what you said at the end is perfectly accurate. Keep the FPS constant (not just a constant average, don't let the min/max vary by more than a couple frames. people can tell!) and don't let objects move too fast. Or if they do, add some motion trail (blurring generally looks stupid if the rest of the world is crisp) so there is *something* To fill the gap.

Re: NOOOO
Aug 2, 2004, 22:27
Re: NOOOO Aug 2, 2004, 22:27
Aug 2, 2004, 22:27

Doom guy isn't that buff, though. At least not compared to the likes of Arnie or Sly.
he's kind of short, come to think of it.
But that might just be because cyberdemons are really really tall...

Re: NOOOO
Aug 2, 2004, 22:25
Re: NOOOO Aug 2, 2004, 22:25
Aug 2, 2004, 22:25

The rock? Well that pretty much guarentees that it won't at least be a campy cheese fest.

No, it guarentees it will suck in a bad way.

Re: Got Doom3
Aug 2, 2004, 20:23
Re: Got Doom3 Aug 2, 2004, 20:23
Aug 2, 2004, 20:23

hit detection scales down to per-pixel. handy for applying decals (mmmm blood and bullet holes)

Re: Talk about leeching!
Aug 2, 2004, 15:38
Re: Talk about leeching! Aug 2, 2004, 15:38
Aug 2, 2004, 15:38

The method I described would be no more painful than what you have there. You can email in the ID as easily as phoning it.
Hashing the data files and executable helps prevent hacking of the game as well.

Trust is already shown not to work.
If trust worked we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Just because you cannot stop it does not mean we should give up all attempts at slowing people down so long as it does not impact the legitimate consumer negatively.

If you're requiring people to be connected to the 'net to play even the single player game (ala some theories I've heard about HL2 Steam) you probably could come up with a system that was nigh unbreakable or that the cost of breaking it is higher than just having people buy the damn thing.

Aug 2, 2004, 15:18
Re: Talk about leeching! Aug 2, 2004, 15:18
Aug 2, 2004, 15:18

Encrypting and hashing is necessary to prevent them from just having one person sign up and get the game and then share with all their friends.

Aug 2, 2004, 15:10
Re: Talk about leeching! Aug 2, 2004, 15:10
Aug 2, 2004, 15:10

Yes there were some flaws with id's approach there. I think having larger keys would go a little ways to slowing potential crackers down.

First for distribution
Have a PGP encrypted copy of the full game on the demo disk(s) or downloadable. Use the largest key size possible.
Hash it to get a (mostly, nuke duplicates in the production phase)unique ID for the game that's a lot shorter than the actual key so it's easier for customers to call in.

Second, in the encrypted package would be another encrypted key that is sent to the master server and is a hash of the individually tailored game files (each has copy protection bits scattered through out the gigabytes of assets.) as well as a hash of the copy protection code. For online play the game would auth these with the master server using PGP encryption again.

If the game doesn't match the hashes or the keys then it won't play. If the server's hash and the game's hash don't match, you can't connect to servers.

Thoughts?

Re: Books vs Movies
Aug 2, 2004, 14:09
Re: Books vs Movies Aug 2, 2004, 14:09
Aug 2, 2004, 14:09

Geese, I stated in my posts that they were both wrong but you said I was condoning it which really set off a nerve.

FYI I dropped out of highschool, =P.

Mostly I'm sick of people not recognizing the difference between the two and trying to homogenize all crimes. We're already at the point where we have to train people to understand the laws that everyone must abide by. We need to decrease the gap, not widen it further. By being precise and accurate in everyday conversation we promote people's understanding of the underlying issues. By generalizing and using slang we dilute the meaning of what we're trying to say and it leads to ambiguities and confusion. (Not accusing you of using slang or whatever, just emphasising a point).

I apologize for being so vitriolic before, I'm just sick of it, in part *because* pirates use the 'its not stealing' excuse to justify it because they're right. It's not stealing and they argue it day in and day out because most people don't recognize the real issue.

Ben & Jerry's is Ice Cream!
Dreyer's is Ice Cream!
Ben & Jerry's != Dreyer's!

Copyright infringement is a crime (after a certain point. Before that it's just civil infringement)!
Stealing is a crime!
Copyright infringement != Stealing!

They're just two flavors in a great big pot of legal spaghetti.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 14:28.

Aug 2, 2004, 14:02
Re: Talk about leeching! Aug 2, 2004, 14:02
Aug 2, 2004, 14:02

Online distribution is not impossible, you just have to be very careful and very clever.

Computers are powerful enough these days that you could sell the game encrypted and require CD Key activation tied to an account. (ala MMOs, not microsoft) But that would be bad for single player or just non-online games as it would limit who can get it.
id did something somewhat similar with Quake back in the day though I think their encryption wasn't strong enough on the disks.
4096bit PGP would do it I think...
Just have a key per disk and store it in a central server. Hell, you could phone it in to a 1800 # and it would read back the key for that disk after you apply appropriate CC info.

Re: Piracy
Aug 2, 2004, 12:49
Re: Piracy Aug 2, 2004, 12:49
Aug 2, 2004, 12:49

I copied Battletech
SmyTTor, YOU are the cause of FASA's downfall.
Prepare to die.

/works with a bunch of ex-fasa dudes.
/seems to be ranting a lot today
/really should get back to work...

Re: Regardless
Aug 2, 2004, 12:30
Re: Regardless Aug 2, 2004, 12:30
Aug 2, 2004, 12:30

All I’m going to say about this is that if ID hadn’t been such asses about placing Coop in this game and pissing many of the PC gamers off just to please Microsoft and make their version unique, this game would have sold a lot more copies because you would have needed that CD key to get on line to play Coop with your friend. This in my opinion is a major blunder on ID's part for not thinking out and weighing the consequences. Now all we will hear is why the game didn’t sell as well as it should have because those that did pirate it, which most likely those that did hardly ever but a game in the first place so all those downloads should not be considered as a loss in sales.

Wow, that's a real round about way of trying to blame Microsoft for all things evil.

It was Vicarious Visions' decision to add co-op, not id or Microsoft. Microsoft has very little say in the production of Doom3 for Xbox. About the only thing they get to say is whether it passes certification or not. Vicarious Visions decided from the start that they wanted co-op. id did not feel it was something they wanted to put in the game. There are some core differences in the VV and id versions made to support co-op. Granted I think id is erring in this case because I love some good co-op.

Re: Doom Dilemma
Aug 2, 2004, 12:14
Re: Doom Dilemma Aug 2, 2004, 12:14
Aug 2, 2004, 12:14

Look - I understand that there are SOME people who download games/MP3s, etc, that would have never bought in the first place. I understand that. But to take that thought and say that ALL people who download were never going to buy is just plain ridiculous.

Does the RIAA exagerrate it's statistics? Probably. But you can't go the other direction and say that NO money is lost due to pirating

It is impossible to put a number on it. You cannot determine who would and who would not. It is simply not possible. So stating that $X is lost is patently false. If it were one single case of ingringement and no one else on the planet did it? Yeah you might be able to put a figure on it but in the scales we're talking about it's just not a reality.

Is POTENTIAL money lost? Yes. Is it quantifiable? No.
You can do polls. But that is still not going to be accurate. By dumping out a huge number like that they are trying to scare people in to getting tougher laws passed that will harm the consumer in the name of getting the RIAA/MPAA/whoever members more power and money. Look at what Orrin Hatch is trying to pass in congress right now. INDUCe is a joke. But if it passes it will not be a laughing matter. Hope you don't own a TiVo or a VCR...

Classifying downloading games and mp3s and whatever as stealing weakens copyright. The penalties for stealing are potentially far less than that of felony copyright infringement.

418 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 16.
Newer [  1    6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ] Older