418 (Amateur)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

418 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 9.
Newer [  1    4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19    21  ] Older

No subject
Nov 16, 2007, 19:11
No subject Nov 16, 2007, 19:11
Nov 16, 2007, 19:11

I thought it was a lot of fun the couple times I've tried it.

It's somewhat niche in that people used to WoW style combat may have some trouble adjusting. I would have prefered a slightly more Sid Meier's Pirate's-esque combat ( more aiming, less pick target and hit statbased % of time ), but this was probably a hell of a lot easier to implement and will be received a bit better.

Overall I think it's coming together pretty well.

Re: Patch will reset video settings.
Nov 13, 2007, 13:35
Re: Patch will reset video settings. Nov 13, 2007, 13:35
Nov 13, 2007, 13:35

The client-side checking should help people with high lag quite a bit when casting any spell that has a cast time higher than 1.5s. So fireball/shadow bolt/lightning bolt/starfire etc. As I understand it (this might not be 100% accurate), the global cool down is still client side and will still block casting. So 1.5s spam (Scorch and hasted spells) will still suffer from latency.

The way it works is that, after the global cool down, each time you press the cast button, the /cast command will be sent to the server. If you're still casting (as far as the server is concerned)

Old Way:
So if you have 200ms of latency and are casting a talented Fireball (3 sec cast).
0 sec - Client starts casting fireball
0.1 sec - Server gets cast request
1.5 sec - Client sees GCD end
1.6 sec - Server sees GCD end
3.1 sec - Server casts fireball
3.2 sec - Client sees fireball cast and clears casting bar / action in progress state.
3.22 sec - Player, reacting quickly to the end of the cast, tries to cast again.
3.32 sec - Server gets cast request...

.32 sec of wasted time per fireball.

In high end raiding, a fireball hits for somewhere around 2600 - 2800 damage on average (assuming no crits for sake of trivializing the math).

In fights that are 5 minutes and up you could be casting upwards of 100 fireballs. So 32 seconds wasted, which translates roughly to nearly 11 fireballs over 5 minutes or about 102 damage per second over the whole fight vs a theoretical 0 latency connection.

New Way:
0 sec - Client starts casting fireball
0.1 sec - Server gets cast request
1.5 sec - Client sees GCD end
1.6 sec - Server sees GCD end
2.9 sec - Client starts spamming fireball button (client now sends the request even though a spell is in progress)
3.0 - 3.0999 sec - Server gets, and ignores cast requests.
3.1 sec - Server casts fireball
3.1 sec - Server gets new cast request and begins casting a new fireball
3.2 sec - Client sees fireball cast and clears casting bar / action in progress state, and immediately begins casting again

I foresee this increasing the bandwidth used by the game which may have a negative effect on latency for high pop servers.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 13:37.

Re: ...
Nov 13, 2007, 13:19
Re: ... Nov 13, 2007, 13:19
Nov 13, 2007, 13:19

Well, the game is 3 years old this month and it was in development for what, another 3 years prior?

8 years. It started simultaneous development (small team) during Warcraft3's development and the team expanded significantly after WC3 shipped.

As for the graphics... it's so as not to force players with low end machines to upgrade. It keeps the eligible player pool very large.

I was originally very turned off by WoW's low poly style, but it's extremely consistent and very well stylized. You generally don't notice it once you get past level 20 or so (with a handful of exceptions...)

Re: No subject
Nov 1, 2007, 14:37
Re: No subject Nov 1, 2007, 14:37
Nov 1, 2007, 14:37

I'm sure it's a great game.
But seriously, have these people never heard of Rise of Nations?

I'll probably give it a whirl.

Oct 25, 2007, 16:18
Re: No subject Oct 25, 2007, 16:18
Oct 25, 2007, 16:18

Er, I guess you failed to comprehend the rest of my post.
They only state a small number of things they could use them for and then go on to state they can do anything they want with it whatsoever. How did you miss that part?

Hellgate basically states they will sell it to any/all advertising partners. Valve's EULA would let them do this but doesn't spell out directly that they are.

See how that's Vague and Hellgate's is specific in this case?

Maybe you're confused because there are 2 things people are finding objectionable?
The scanning of people's computers for cheats (Valve and Blizzard do this *EXACT* thing),
and the sharing of information about them (Blizzard doesn't allow for this, Valve does but does not spell out that they would or wouldn't, and Hellgate allows and specifically states they will).

Oct 24, 2007, 18:53
Re: No subject Oct 24, 2007, 18:53
Oct 24, 2007, 18:53

The only thing they *say* or *appear* to use them for. It does not specifically say they cannot (or will not) use them for anything else. And they do scan your computer.

Steam and the Steam Software may include functionality designed to identify software or hardware processes or functionality that may give a player an unfair competitive advantage when playing multiplayer versions of any Steam Software, other Valve products, or modifications thereof ("Cheats"). You agree that you will not create or assist third parties in any way to create Cheats. You agree that you will not directly or indirectly disable, circumvent, or otherwise interfere with the operation of software designed to prevent or report the use of Cheats. You acknowledge and agree that either Valve or any online multiplayer host may refuse to allow you to participate in certain online multiplayer games if you use Cheats in connection with Steam or the Steam Software. Further, you acknowledge and agree that an online multiplayer host may report your use of Cheats to Valve, and Valve may communicate your history of use of Cheats to other online multiplayer hosts for Valve products. Valve may terminate your Account or a particular Subscription for any conduct or activity that Valve believes is illegal, constitutes a Cheat, or which otherwise negatively affects the enjoyment of Steam by other Subscribers. You acknowledge that Valve is not required to provide you notice before terminating your Subscriptions(s) and/or Account, but it may choose to do so.

How do you think they get access to their computer statistics? They do ask you right before they do it, but it's less spelled out in the EULA. Also, if you bought things over Steam, Valve has a lot of your personal information already. Likewise with Hellgate if you pay the sub in a manner other than gamecard.

Arguably, the Hellgate EULA just spells out in specific what they feel they have the right to do which would be more forthcoming. The Valve one is vague in what it will collect and extremely broad in what it can do with it (Anything), the Hellgate one is explicit, but has marketing ties.

Really, I don't see what the big deal is. A lot of companies have done this for a long time, why are people crying their eyes out over this one?

Oct 24, 2007, 14:27
Re: No subject Oct 24, 2007, 14:27
Oct 24, 2007, 14:27

As for the 'spyware', honestly it sounds just like Warden that WoW uses, or Half life 2's VAC.

Difference here is that those 2 companies are not 'reserving the right to share with their partners, without limitations'.

Valve:
"7. USER GENERATED INFORMATION

"User Generated Information" means any information made available to other users through your use of multi-user features of Steam or to Valve through your use of the Steam Software. User Generated Information may include, but is not limited to, chat, forum posts, screen names, game selections, player performances, usage data, suggestions about Valve products or services, and error notifications. Subject to the Valve privacy policy referenced in Section 1 above, as applicable, you expressly grant Valve the complete and irrevocable right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and perform the User Generated Information and derivative works thereof in any form, anywhere, with or without attribution to you, and without any notice or compensation to you of any kind.
"

That's pretty broad and explicitely states they reserve the right to distribute information gathered from various usage of their service.
"any information made available to other users through your use of multi-user features of Steam or to Valve through your use of the Steam Software. "
Which sounds like it would cover any sort of system information you send them (granted, they do ask...)

Blizzard:
# WHEN RUNNING, THE PROGRAM MAY MONITOR YOUR COMPUTER'S RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) AND/OR CPU PROCESSES FOR UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS RUNNING CONCURRENTLY WITH WORLD OF WARCRAFT. AN "UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM" AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY "ADDON" OR "MOD," THAT IN BLIZZARD'S SOLE DETERMINATION: (i) ENABLES OR FACILITATES CHEATING OF ANY TYPE; (ii) ALLOWS USERS TO MODIFY OR HACK THE WORLD OF WARCRAFT INTERFACE, ENVIRONMENT, AND/OR EXPERIENCE IN ANY WAY NOT EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZED BY BLIZZARD; OR (iii) INTERCEPTS, "MINES," OR OTHERWISE COLLECTS INFORMATION FROM OR THROUGH THE PROGRAM. IN THE EVENT THAT THE PROGRAM DETECTS AN UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM, BLIZZARD MAY (a) COMMUNICATE INFORMATION BACK TO BLIZZARD, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR ACCOUNT NAME, DETAILS ABOUT THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM DETECTED, AND THE TIME AND DATE THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM WAS DETECTED; AND/OR (b) EXERCISE ANY OR ALL OF ITS RIGHTS UNDER SECTION 6 OF THIS AGREEMENT, WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO THE USER.
# WHEN THE PROGRAM IS RUNNING, BLIZZARD MAY OBTAIN CERTAIN IDENTIFICATION INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR COMPUTER AND ITS OPERATING SYSTEM, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR HARD DRIVES, CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT, IP ADDRESS(ES) AND OPERATING SYSTEM(S), FOR PURPOSES OF IMPROVING THE PROGRAM AND/OR THE SERVICE, AND TO POLICE AND ENFORCE THE PROVISIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT AND THE EULA.
# Blizzard may, with or without notice to you, disclose your Internet Protocol (IP) address(es), personal information, and information about you and your activities in response to a written request by law enforcement, a court order or other legal process. Blizzard may use or disclose your personal information if Blizzard believes that doing so may protect your safety or the safety of others.
# BLIZZARD MAY RECORD YOUR CHAT SESSIONS AND OTHER ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION TRANSMITTED OR RECEIVED THROUGH THE GAME AND YOU CONSENT TO SUCH MONITORING OR LOGGING.

Which does not appear to contain language indicating their right to distribute the data for purposes other than ToS enforcement and police investigation. So yeah, they are subtley different, but Steam (Valve) and Blizzard are both much larger entities than FSS so I'm not surprised they don't feel the need to whore out their customers to other people when they can do it entirely on an internal basis and keep any gains for themselves.

No subject
Oct 24, 2007, 00:10
No subject Oct 24, 2007, 00:10
Oct 24, 2007, 00:10

Not that I like wording in the EULA at all, but you guys know WoW does the /exact/ same thing (scanning running processes) with Warden, right?

Re: Lich King????
Oct 9, 2007, 02:23
Re: Lich King???? Oct 9, 2007, 02:23
Oct 9, 2007, 02:23

Forced eh? It's that difficult for you to just scroll on by? Are you so neurotic and obsessed with something you claim to hate that you can't just carry on with your life? You need help.

Wow, and gay is an insult to you? Son, when you get out of highschool* and in to the real world, you're going to need to grow up quick or you might be finding yourself in a ditch, bleeding profusely.

Enjoy your feces obsessed, short, and miserable life... if you can.

* - Maybe that's being too generous...

Re: Lich King????
Oct 8, 2007, 20:11
Re: Lich King???? Oct 8, 2007, 20:11
Oct 8, 2007, 20:11

So, if all games (at the rate you're going) are saturday morning cartoons... Why do you go to a website dedicated to them?

That's like being Larry Craig and saying "I'm not gay, I just hook up with men in airport bathroom stalls."

Microsoft Flight Sim Ad
Oct 8, 2007, 19:49
Microsoft Flight Sim Ad Oct 8, 2007, 19:49
Oct 8, 2007, 19:49

The Flash MS flight sim is extremely annoying and I can't click on any links while it's on screen. It covers up about 1/3 of the top part of the screen over stories and such.

I guess its only saving grace is that it doesn't follow you when you scroll down.

No subject
Oct 7, 2007, 03:36
No subject Oct 7, 2007, 03:36
Oct 7, 2007, 03:36

IIRC you can change your in game name in your profile settings for steam. I don't think it's TF2 specific

No subject
Oct 3, 2007, 13:05
No subject Oct 3, 2007, 13:05
Oct 3, 2007, 13:05

The video cards on the recommended systems are probably just the minimums that support SM3.0, though I know next to nothing about the rest of the 7* series nVidias but that seems to be the case for the ATIs.

Oct 2, 2007, 21:10
Re: No subject Oct 2, 2007, 21:10
Oct 2, 2007, 21:10

Nicely done FloridaHoudini.

Sadly due to work I can't make any raid times on my server (And the farthest has cleared SSC and just has Solarian and Kael'thas to go in TK).

Ah well.

Yeah, damn shaman.

ZA does look like a lot of fun.

No subject
Oct 2, 2007, 19:40
No subject Oct 2, 2007, 19:40
Oct 2, 2007, 19:40

Patch 2.3 is the next big content patch. Shouldn't really be too long in coming (2 - 3 weeks?) since 2.2 took so FREAKING long. Some relatively major rebalancing.

http://worldofraids.com/ typically has decent overviews of what's coming down the pipe.

Sep 27, 2007, 16:20
Re: No subject Sep 27, 2007, 16:20
Sep 27, 2007, 16:20

Yeah, I do miss the disease.

And trying to heal/fix a spy will heal/fix them. They get achievements for "stealing" health/armor from the enemy even.

Sep 27, 2007, 14:02
Re: No subject Sep 27, 2007, 14:02
Sep 27, 2007, 14:02

Critical Hits are a semi-random event, based on performance etc. You get them with all classes, and it's not just headshots or hitscan weapons. If your team wins, you get 100% critical hits to wipe out the other team for 10-20 secs.

Huh. I've never noticed it with the rocket launcher. But it did seem to happen a lot more when I hit someone in the head. Ah well. Learn something every day.

Sep 27, 2007, 13:51
Re: No subject Sep 27, 2007, 13:51
Sep 27, 2007, 13:51

You can get headshots without playing a sniper I thought...

The "critical hit" thing is a headshot and you can get that with any hitscan weapon I think. (Shotguns, pistols etc.)

I don't know that I've gotten any achievements yet! heh.

No subject
Sep 12, 2007, 03:27
No subject Sep 12, 2007, 03:27
Sep 12, 2007, 03:27

Hey all you hellgate haters.

If you want to screw Flagship, buy up as many lifetime subs as you can. If the game goes longer than $150/subcost months, they're losing money supporting you!

Here you go beamer,
Aug 24, 2007, 02:43
Here you go beamer, Aug 24, 2007, 02:43
Aug 24, 2007, 02:43

I'm not saying it's a great game. I'm not saying it's a shitty game. I'm saying, I don't have enough to go on until I play it in some form. From shoulder surfing a coworker who is in the Alpha, I agree, it doesn't look like the best game ever. But to be honest, neither did Diablo 2. For me, Gameplay > Graphics every day of the week (hello X-Com!). The combat looks interesting. Their upgrade system looks pretty cool and should add quite a bit of interesting variety. It's point and shoot for the ranged folk (haven't seen melee in person) as per normal FPS. Loot is much less painful than Diablo2/WoW. Just tap a key while aiming towards it and it picks it up.

WoW combat is just fine for me (Paladin, Mage, Rogue, Shammy). I'm not sure where you get the impression that the largest part of the game is something no one likes. Certainly it has it's problems, but I challenge you to find a combat system that doesn't. Be it lag, balance, or intuitiveness, all games have issues at some level. Combat in WoW is actually fairly complicated, as an real MMO is. Hellgate's combat (that I've seen) is quite simple, like CS, UT, or Quake. I don't know why you'd want to make FPS combat complicated, though, it just slows you down.

Honestly, re: the MMORPG But Not thing, I feel the same way about Guild Wars. I feel it should definitely not be considered an MMO in the same way Diablo2 is not.

If it hurts to read the press releases... don't?

"Fire hurts!" 'Stop putting your hand in it?' The logic is similar. If something brings you discomfort and it's trivially avoidable... why not do so?

Just so you don't have to scroll through the thread again.
"One person" (er, 6) moaning about Hellgate sucks without even playing it, beta, demo, or otherwise. This happens every time Hellgate is brought up (well, really, almost every game that people bother to comment on. More babies whining.)

2. Oooh excitement! Aug 23, 11:18 Creston
And look, Europe gets shafted again. 10 Euros a month, that's getting into MMORPG territory pricing for a game that's not a MMORPG. That's awesome.

How's it feel, fellas?

It's funny how a single decision that really has nothing to do with the game itself, but rather with plain pure greed, can make a game simply vanish from my "I'll buy this" list.

Creston

4. Re: Seems expensive Aug 23, 11:27 Darks
Same here, Greed killed this game for me. Bill Roper thinks hes still working for blizzard and has taken on the the idea that he needs to Gouge everyone so we can play it on line. No Thanks! Just like Video killed the radio star. Greed killed this game.

10. No subject Aug 23, 11:43 Sempai
OMG! A Diablo 3d'ish game that i get to pay monthly for in order to email ingame items to myself! Sweet!..wait..are you f**king stupid?

15. Re: Seems expensive Aug 23, 12:53 Creston
you know the free people will be looking at the features being offered and get pissed off if it's something that offers an unfair advantage

You mean like how "free" players (and I fucking LOVE that they call it that. Free. Since the 50 dollars you paid for the game ofcourse don't factor into anything,) get gimped character slots and stash slots?

Half the fun of a game like this is gathering loot. But if you're one of those cheap "free" bastards, we won't let you stash more than two swords and a pair of silk undies +1 vs Flagship Stu... rapists.

Creston

24. Re: Seems expensive Aug 23, 13:42 Overon
I like to pay for things I used to be able to get for free.

27. Paying 4 Hellgate makes U gay. R U gay? Aug 23, 14:36 shinchan0s
I know this game will EAT SHIT and all that but I'm still interested in some of the finer details concerning Subscription* accounts. Theoretically, couldn't some loserass just pay the fee for one month and diablo-grind that entire month to get all the shiny new items? If they didn't pay up for the following months would that guy lose all his premium gear? What about items stuffed in the extra stash slots? Do you lose them if your inventory is full? Or does all this shit go in stasis or something? What about if that person was a guild leader?

29. Re: No subject Aug 23, 14:54 shinchan0s
It's not that. We all just feel the need to comment on stuff outrageously retarded.

32. Re: No subject Aug 23, 15:31 CJ_Parker
Flagship can suck my flagpole long time.
----------------------------
*** Born to troll ***

418 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 9.
Newer [  1    4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19    21  ] Older