Descending
Limit Results:

6 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

I love the duct tape mod
Aug 9, 2004, 10:55
I love the duct tape mod Aug 9, 2004, 10:55
Aug 9, 2004, 10:55

Downloaded the duct tape mod and I love it. The author of the mod smartly only allows the flashlight to appear on the Shotgun & Machine gun. Therefore, you have to seriously consider whether to use a weaker weapon that has a light attached to it or pull out the big guns and shoot blindly in the darkness. Keeps the game strategic. Additionally, the DTM (duct tap mod) has a VERY narrow cone that is very bright, which has the effect of retaining the atmosphere in the game. (You really can't see much with the DTM.) Plus the brightness of the light washes out any detail and coloring, allowing some of the monsters to remain concealed if you pass over them too quickly as your sweeping the room. Because of this I still find myself using the main flashlight (which seems like a flood light compared to the DTM).

Once, I was using the shotgun and swept the room, and thought I saw an arm behind a column... I focused on the area where I thought I saw something and didn't see any additional movement... I walked towards the column, nervous as hell, when all of a sudden an IMP jumped right in front of me, his face right in the narrow cone of the light... scared the living hell out of me. I think this was much scarier than if I was just walking in the darkness and something starting hitting me, or conversely using the main flashlight, I would have surely seen the IMP in the much larger lightmap and the suspense would not had been as high.

But hey, to each his own. Its your copy of the game, enjoy it anyway you see fit. Don't like the DTM, don't use it. But for me, it makes the game much better and much scarier.

Drakkir out, peace!

What a shame
Jul 3, 2004, 14:34
What a shame Jul 3, 2004, 14:34
Jul 3, 2004, 14:34

Well, to be honest, I wasn't really that excited about this game either. But after seeing the demo video showing the design of the levels (especially the underground city) I'm really sad this game is not coming out. Some of the areas shown in that video were some of the best I had ever seen. The models of the game always looked bad in my opinion, but the level design is genius. If they would have showed off the levels instead of the cartoony character models, this game may have generated much more interest than it did. What a shame, would have loved running through the world they were creating here.

Re: shame
Mar 21, 2003, 16:40
Re: shame Mar 21, 2003, 16:40
Mar 21, 2003, 16:40

I think I can speak for everyone when I say that we come to Blue's News to get info on games Fredrickson. Why don't you take your comments elsewhere.

Personally, if I wanted if I wanted to hear naive attacks on the liberation of the iraqi civilians from a genocidal dictator who tortures kids in front of their parents and has "rape rooms" for the women and little girls of political dissidents, I would go check out the quote section of www.hollywoodhalfwits.com and wouldn't bother coming to BluesNews.

-Drakkir out. Peace!

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 16:42.

Re: FilePlanet and Microsoft
Feb 23, 2003, 09:53
Re: FilePlanet and Microsoft Feb 23, 2003, 09:53
Feb 23, 2003, 09:53

<Laughs> Smitty, you are seriously comparing the Fileplanet subscription to criminal extortion!?! If that is really what you think, please chill out man. Now that I think about it, I seem to remember how the Microsoft/Fileplanet representative put a 9mm against my head and forced me to pay $6 a month.

And all this time I never knew that Bill Gates was actually Tony Soprano! Thanks for giving me the heads up!

Tell you what, if you think Microsoft is guilty of violating the RICO statutes, (I mean, you must have researched this issue right?) then call you local state and/or federal Attorney General's Office and file a complaint against Microsoft and Fileplanet. I'm sure they are itching to stick it to Microsoft again and you will feel vindicated.

While you at it, go after Computer Gaming World when they offer an exclusive demo on the CD-rom Pack-in. Or KIA who gives an exclusive $1,000 owner loyalty rebate to previous owners of KIA cars. Or every NBA team which gives previous season ticket holders the exclusive right to the first choice of the premium seats.

I get the demo and you don't and somehow I'm the one not getting a benefit. Excuse me? I just "FEEL like" I'm getting a benefit? Well, I guess I was just FEELing like I was actually playing Freelancer 5 minutes ago too huh? All a figment of my imagination.

If you are not happy with Microsoft and/or Fileplanet, that's cool. Don't buy the game, don't play the demo, whatever. That way you can sleep at night with a clean conscience. Hell, post to all the websites you can find about how pissed off you are. I absolutely support your right to vent YOUR frustrations as long as you are mature and sensible.

To compare this demos release to criminal extortion and vandelism, is alittle excessive don't you think?

I'm not sure there is anything I can say to change your mind here. So I guess we have to agree to disagree. But can we agree to keep hyperbole to a minimum? Criminal behavior please!

Regardless, this really has become a moot point. In case you haven't noticed, you can now get the demo from that dark, evil Fileplanet public servers. So, chill out, download the demo, and let us know what you think. It really does look like it will be one of the best games of the year.

-Drakkir out... Peace!

Re: FilePlanet and Microsoft
Feb 23, 2003, 07:27
Re: FilePlanet and Microsoft Feb 23, 2003, 07:27
Feb 23, 2003, 07:27

Unethical? I'm not sure how offering exclusive content to paying customers in an capitalistic society alone is "unethical".

If they offered the demo that they knew would damage my computer if I ran it, that would be unethical. If they offered the Freelancer Demo and after I installed it it turned out to be that goofy Bikini Babes Fighting demo from a few weeks ago... that would to be unethical. If I couldn't start Windows XP unless I installed the Freelancer demo, that would be unethical.

Are you suggesting that they are unethical because you have to wait 3 days? Is that your entire argument?

Hell, I think it a nice "gift" that Microsoft and Fileplanet has given to the FP subscribers such as myself. Sure they could have given for free to everyone. But they chose to reward the paying customers to Fileplanet. They gave me much more than my $6 a month normally pays for. Initially, the $6 a month was so I didn't have to wait in line and that was how it was marketed to me. Now, they have given me something that didn't cost me an extra cent. And I'm suppose to be upset with that? What you call unethical, I call good customer relations and sound business practices. Fileplanet is welcome to my $6 a month if they keep giving me benefits like this that are above and beyond what I initially purchased.

Also since I have been playing the demo since it first came out, I'm can't say that I have been screwed here. I would argue that this is another example of money well spent on my part. I have gained something extra, I'm having more fun with this demo than the 3 new games currently in my personal "rotation" and I will be buying Freelancer when it comes out. Before this release, this game wasn't even on my radar. (Though I'm a huge fan of Elite and Privateer.)

I really hate to break it to you... but Microsoft (and other companies as well) is in business to make money. Hell yeah its getting compensated, why else would they even make the game for God's sake? Since when does making money automatically equate with evil and greed? Since when does Fileplanet and Microsoft have to be non-profit corporations in order to avoid your utopian sensibilities.

I presume that the computer your using cost MONEY. Is your computer's manufacturer "evil" because they had the nerve to demand "compensation" before they provided your access to the net world? Is the movie industry "evil" because they only allow first run movies to be shown to those people to who buy a movie ticket at theater? After all, movie theaters offer trailers (sorta a movie demo don't you think) for upcoming products generally before they are released on the web or TV. I'm sure you never thought about it in those terms, but that is what you are arguing here. As you can see, that line of logic gets really silly really fast.

But we are in a capitalistic society. If you are still not happy with this situation, vote with your dollar. Don't buy the game and don't subscribe to Fileplanet. But, I really think you are going overboard here and are going to miss an extremely well done game.

-Drakkir out. Peace!

File Planet Griping
Feb 22, 2003, 14:45
File Planet Griping Feb 22, 2003, 14:45
Feb 22, 2003, 14:45

Like many of you I was upset when FilePlanet went to the subscription model. However, I broke down about a year ago and signed up for the subscription and it was the best decision I have made in a long time. Like another poster said, for the price of a fast food meal, I get instant access to all their files at a very high and consistent bandwidth. While many of you were spending the time complaining about FilePlanet, I was already playing the demo, without spending hours hunting down a mirror only to have it time out. We are talking about $6 a month here guys and evidently you can get it cheaper than that. In my opinion, since time is money, that is saving me a ton a money every month when I consider the amount of patches, demos, trailers and other files I grab every week. (If only figuratively speaking). Hell, I can get patches and demos faster off of FilePlanet than most of the manufacturer websites. Plus, I was able to get into some open beta tests (AC2 for example) which I have never been able to do. I really think its a great service. (And no, I don't work for FilePlanet!) But you get what you pay for. If you don't think a measly $6 is worth getting the files you want, when you want and as fast as you want, there is nothing I can say to convince you otherwise. But I think your wrong. -Drakkir out - Peace!

PS: The Freelancer demo is VERY impressive. And, surprisingly, the keyboard/mouse FPS type controls (for a flight sim!) actually work very well.

6 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older