Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1665 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay?
48. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 16, 2017, 18:58 Orogogus

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 17:49:
I love reading the Blues comments on this game, then going over to youtube and reading the most upvoted comment there:

"Love it. Great transparency with the team and work. Thank you for taking the time to build an excellent game rather than rushing and releasing it unfinished.&#65279; 86 upvotes"

That's not the most upvoted comment. I don't know how YouTube sorts "Top Comments", but "6:14 here's the greatest line in CIG history" is at 366 net likes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 13, 2017, 13:32 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 10:07:
Verno wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 09:38:
Microsoft spent all of last generation telling Valve and Sony to fuck off about cross-play so you reap what you sow.

I don't think they ever said it to Sony, but they did try to avoid doing it with the PC, and this makes sense.

I think the originally pitched version of Mechwarrior 5 got canned because Microsoft refused to get on board if it was also released on the PS3: Link

I expect that wasn't the only instance, either. A quick search ('microsoft ps3 crossplay 360 -ps4') suggests Microsoft explicitly put the kibosh on crossplay in Defiance and Trion, and turned down Valve's offer to integrate Steam with Portal 2 for PS3/PC/360 cross-play.

News Comments > Free DRM-Free Torchlight 1 & 2 for Owners
11. Re: Game Reviews Oct 12, 2017, 19:28 Orogogus

peteham wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 19:19:
Strange. I have both TL1 and 2 on Steam but when I did the connect thing GOG just says "no eligible games found". Anyone else have that?

TL2 transferred successfully for me. I already had TL1 on GOG from when they gave it away a few years ago.

News Comments > Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel
2. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 11, 2017, 21:26 Orogogus

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 21:12:
I have more faith in this than I do Stardock's efforts and I am sure that this is going to get shutdown fast unless they are basing it on the 3D0 version that was open sourced a long time ago.

It's really not clear to me what rights Stardock had purchased, aside from the name itself. Early articles indicated they don't have the rights to the aliens, which is, like, the whole Star Control thing, but in any case the Gamasutra article says Stardock has no issue with this project. Looking forward to it!

News Comments > Steam VR Room Space Getting Roomier
9. Re: Steam VR Room Space Getting Roomier Oct 11, 2017, 17:42 Orogogus

Lorcin wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 17:08:
I'm more interested in the Occulus Go which loses all the room tracking crap. I only wanna fly spaceships in VR so half price to lose the extraneous crap sounds good to me.

Isn't the Go more on par with mobile VR? Giving up the PC at the same time you need more power for doubled visuals at extremely close range seems limiting.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
98. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 21:32 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 14:59:
Polling is skewed to the point of near-uselessness, as evidenced by Hillary's embarrassing loss in the election despite polls showing an easy win.

I feel like I see people shitting on Nate Silver and polling a lot on this board, but his prediction was like 70/30 Clinton. From the way people go on you'd think he said 99.9.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
2. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Oct 2, 2017, 12:47 Orogogus

I mentioned it last week, I think it doesn't have a box release yet (I don't see it on Gamestop's website), and I don't believe the GfK chart has access to Steam data, which is why this is always such a different list.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
19. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 30, 2017, 00:18 Orogogus

It raises the debt because of the large tax cuts to the wealthy and corporations.  

14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 29, 2017, 18:50 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 16:31:
NicklePop wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 16:20:
Trumps the man. Tax reform baby!

What do you want reformed, what do you think will happen, and what evidence do you have that the changes will bring those impacts?

What's important to regular earners on the right on positions against their own interest re: healthcare, taxes, workplace and environmental protections, etc., is that it pisses off liberals. So there's every indication that will happen and no reason to think that the proposed changes, if they come to pass, won't bring about that outcome.

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Sep 29, 2017, 16:21 Orogogus

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 16:14:
Nullity wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 12:54:
I probably shouldn't be admitting this in public, but here goes...

I love sci-fi. It is, without a doubt, my favorite genre. But I just don't like Blade Runner. It's almost universally regarded as the pinnacle of science fiction, but I find it painfully slow and boring. I've even seen all 3 of the versions previous mentioned (theatrical, director's, final), each time feeling excited when it begins that this is finally going to be the viewing where I "get it" and the movie is great. It never happens, and instead, I'm left wondering why I subjected myself to it again.

I like the actors, they all do a fine job. The cinematography and effects are amazing, even to this day. Yet the film as a whole just slogs and can barely hold my attention. I just don't find it interesting.

I've always had this feeling that I *want* to like this movie, but try as I might, I just can't. What is it I'm missing?

(And no, I'm not the type that only likes fast action and special effects. I love character development and great stories.)
Try the novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"*, it's what the movie was based on.
As for the 3 versions, seen one seen em all.

*blues amazon link

Loosely based. The names are all there, but it's a massively different story in tone and content.

News Comments > Volition Layoffs Reported
17. Re: Volition Layoffs Reported Sep 29, 2017, 02:17 Orogogus

warmbluelasers wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 00:11:
Having grown up when Wing Commander and X-Wing/Tie Fighter were released, the control issue isn't an issue anymore. Both Elite and Star Citizen are incredibly playable with KBM to the point it's a matter of preference. Thrustmaster sells very affordable sticks from a basic throw-away stick at $30 to a full stick/throttle/pedals for $140 (with Amazon Prime).

I think the lack of resurgence is a combination of today's gamers (not capable of 3D spatial sense) and big publishers playing it safe.

I can't speak to Star Citizen, but I mentioned Elite -- I think it's more of a space trucker than a shooter, and I don't think an X-Wing/Wing Commander/Freespace game with its kind of action would go over very well. It's designed more towards the mouse's strength, precision shooting, than towards flying, while the old style space action games leaned more heavily on targets suddenly swinging behind or in front of you, with way more giant turns to re-orient on your target. I think War Thunder encapsulates this if you compare its arcade and realistic modes. It's not that developers have gotten better about designing mouse controls, they've intentionally redesigned the gameplay to make it more amenable.

I don't think the affordability of the stick is a major factor. There have been good $30 sticks for a long time now. But they're only really good for flying games. For pretty much everything else a gamepad is more relaxing to hold and puts more controls within reach.

I also doubt yesterday's gamers were really all that superior to today's. I feel like the majority of gamers always wanted to be playing multiplayer FPSes, it just took a while for the technology to get there. Once it did, a lot of genres became a lot less viable.

News Comments > Volition Layoffs Reported
13. Re: Volition Layoffs Reported Sep 28, 2017, 14:42 Orogogus

I think it's iffy. Outside of mouse-flyers like Freelancer and Everspace, space shooters lean towards joysticks, which most people don't have. You can soften them to the point where a gamepad works, but then a lot of the people who do have sticks throw a fit. Elite is KBAM playable, but I feel it's barely a shooter; the shooting is way the hell better than the old games, but you probably couldn't make a Freespace or X-Wing game based on it.

I have a joystick and I love space games, but I'm inclined to think that the math probably just doesn't add up unless you engage in crowdfunding like Star Citizen and Elite, letting you milk your whale core for way, way more than the MSRP.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 27, 2017, 19:23 Orogogus

Saboth wrote on Sep 27, 2017, 19:08:
It's not really about who the candidate was, though. The man who lost was backed by the entire GOP political machine and Trump himself. Millions and millions of dollars of corporate money was pumped into the election to guarantee his win, and he *still* lost. That's a huge deal, and something that should scare the pants off of the GOP.

I guess? But it's their primary. By definition whoever wins is still part of the GOP. And it tells them that in Alabama they can run straight up Christian Sharia law candidates. It might be bad news for old-timers in the moderate right, but it doesn't seem like particularly good news for anyone left of that position, either.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 26, 2017, 13:04 Orogogus

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 06:29:
Orogogus wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 06:06:
NKD wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 04:12:
In the US it's adviseable that any adult male not interact with, or even look at, anyone they suspect could be under the age of 18. Don't get a job where you have to interact with children or teenagers, either.

Guys who work around children are basically assumed to be sex offenders because of the bullshit "stranger danger" nonsense that gets drilled into peoples heads.

Some teacher gets falsely accused of some bullshit because a student doesn't like that they got failed in the class. But meanwhile the only person molesting the student is some shitty family member.

It's funny, the "stranger danger" thing actually kind of became true in a fucked up way. Adult males have to be afraid of being around a child they don't recognize, rather than the other way around.

Real classy raising that argument in a case where there's a ton of evidence on a guy who keeps getting caught out on online sex.

Posting on a tangental topic is hardly "raising an argument", maybe some reading comprehension would help.

It's the same topic, we're talking about people who have been accused of sexual offenses against minors. But you might be that fucking guy if you talk about how blue lives matters the same day that the police shoot another black man, or about how so many rape stories are made up when the topic of discussions is an open-and-shut-case like Brock Turner.

The case in question, Weiner, is open-and-shut. It doesn't rest on the accuser's testimony -- they have his phone (not for the first time), and the guy is admitting he has a problem. What a god-damned appropriate platform for railing about how the system is biased against the accused.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 26, 2017, 06:06 Orogogus

NKD wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 04:12:
In the US it's adviseable that any adult male not interact with, or even look at, anyone they suspect could be under the age of 18. Don't get a job where you have to interact with children or teenagers, either.

Guys who work around children are basically assumed to be sex offenders because of the bullshit "stranger danger" nonsense that gets drilled into peoples heads.

Some teacher gets falsely accused of some bullshit because a student doesn't like that they got failed in the class. But meanwhile the only person molesting the student is some shitty family member.

It's funny, the "stranger danger" thing actually kind of became true in a fucked up way. Adult males have to be afraid of being around a child they don't recognize, rather than the other way around.

Real classy raising that argument in a case where there's a ton of evidence on a guy who keeps getting caught out on online sex.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
3. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Sep 25, 2017, 13:05 Orogogus

Is DOS2 available in stores? I don't see it on Gamestop's website, and I get the distinct impression that the GFK charts don't include sales through Steam (partly because PUBG's never been on them).  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2017, 06:20 Orogogus

Twins aren't genetically identical -- a certain amount of variation is introduced throughout development -- and there's more to your makeup than just genetics. Like, specifically in the case of memory, there's no reason to expect a twin's brain to have formed the same neural pathways. Unless Star Trek transporters really use the genetic code and nothing else, this seems like arguing that it's impossible to copy a floppy disc since all discs start out the same.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Review Fallout
32. Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 18:55 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 18:08:
I can't argue about Walmart since I never go there, but Amazon often removes bullshit reviews that have nothing to do with the product in question, or are just bitching about something that is unrelated to the actual operation of the product in question. Product owners can fairly easily get Amazon to look at reviews they think is unfair, and if Amazon's rep agrees, the reviewer (I believe) gets contacted to see if they wish to amend their review, and otherwise said review gets deleted.

I don't know about review bombs, but a search for Amazon joke reviews on Google turns up a Cracked article dated 2010, and the first three products from that article that I checked still have the joke reviews up. And a search for fake Amazon reviews shows two sites dedicated to identifying botted reviews. It doesn't seem like their system is working that well.

Prez wrote:
It's pretty harmless; and definitely seems better to me than aligning yourself with dubious groups like Gamersgate or getting involved with a toothless class action lawsuit that invariably goes nowhere.

It seems to me that dubious groups are the ones that often organize review bombs when there's a political slant, like that Baldur's Gate thing with the trans character.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Review Fallout
26. Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 15:42 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 15:10:
I'm just pointing out that Valve took the path of the absolute least amount of work done by them while pretending they made all these glorious changes.

I feel like you harp on this a lot, but the absolute least amount of work would be what everyone else is doing. Steam's terrible until you use anything else. Steam reviews have filters for date, language and other criteria, and there's a counter-comment system. GOG is probably the next most developed storefront, and their most advanced features are an average star rating and a helpfulness rating. The Oculus store is about the same (although it was a lot worse when it launched), and itch.io is worse. Origin and other first parties aren't going to have reviews at all.

For this specific feature, it seems to me that there's already more than the bare minimum. You can click on the bars to see the reviews, and even drag-select a range.

The talk of what they should be doing seems like pie in the sky stuff that no one, in or out of the video game industry is doing. What are storefronts like Amazon or Wal-Mart doing to protect review integrity that's not being done here? Well, they have report buttons, but I kind of doubt that will solve anything since Steam customers won't agree on what should be removed.

20. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 20, 2017, 12:06 Orogogus

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 09:26:
"People of 4chan" is the internet. Think on it this way, 4chan is one of the heaviest trafficked sites in the world. 4chan considers as part of their manifesto to be "a website anyone can use." By granting 4chan use, he's effectively given the internet and everyone the right to use it. Since there's no way to define "who" uses 4chan except anyone with an internet connection that leaves it open to anybody.

As Beamer notes -- I did say on 4chan, because that's the implication in the text I quoted. But 1) that in no way implies that he put it in the public domain, giving up all his rights to the material and 2) you can revoke permissions. If you couldn't then licensing agreements would be eternal.

He did actually abandon his copyright. See the existing case of pillsbury vs milkyway if you need an in-depth example of how an entity who doesn't defend their copyright and it "gains a life of it's own" can't retroactively try to claim copyright on it.

I'm looking at the Wikipedia page and I see a case talking about parody fair use protection, which doesn't seem like what you're talking about here. 1) That copyright was in full force but the court deemed it a valid application of fair use; 2) you lose trademarks, not copyrights, by abandoning them, like I said earlier; 3) the Pillsbury Doughboy was in no way abandoned, then or now.

1665 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo