Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1591 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 19:09 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 18:40:
Actually it can be nullified. Great Britain and Japan both average less than one police cause fatality per year. We average 1000.

I think it's slightly higher than that for the UK.

Wikipedia

It looks like about 40 since 2000, so a little more than 2/year. And their population is about 5 times smaller. So it's more like a hundredfold difference than a thousandfold. Go us.

I think Japan is, like, zero. As far as I know their police don't usually carry guns.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 17, 2017, 18:02 Orogogus

I would have appreciated notifications, and user IDs, back when I was in college and people would just leave their clothes in one of the two shared washer/dryers on our dorm floor. But I guess IoT devices on a campus would be some of the first to be hacked.  

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
2. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Jul 17, 2017, 15:51 Orogogus

Four of those aren't available on Steam: Sims, Overwatch, Sims 4: City Living and Battlefield. So yeah, people are buying those elsewhere. And I expect GFK doesn't have access to Steam sales data, so that would knock out PUBG and the two CS titles on the Steam list. It would also explain why the Steam list has Stardew Valley up, since it was on sale. Shadow of Mordor was, too, but that game's been on $5-8 sale half a dozen times already, so I'm not sure why it got propelled up so high this time.

Aside from that, I think you can write up Football Manager as GB gamers being different. And on the Steam side, Fire Pro Wrestling World is probably a US thing.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday
14. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 15:28 Orogogus

Earth Defense Force, EDF 4.1 being the latest iteration. It's a Japanese console/PC shooter, decidedly not a AAA release.

Videos of the Depth Crawler, a cute little Tarantula-like quad walker:

Link
Link

11. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 15:08 Orogogus

I think the challenge was a lot lower back in the day just because the terrain in MW2 (and 3) was so flat, making animation less of an issue. Still, there are games that have 4-legged walkers. I know the latest EDF game had one, and that game has hilly terrain and caves to deal with. And there are Star Wars games with AT-ATs, although I don't think they go walking over any hills.  

9. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 14:17 Orogogus

Primalchrome wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 11:40:
Much better even in beta than the old MechAssault games.

Do you mean MechCommander? Comparing to MechAssault seems about as relevant as comparing to... I don't know, the card game. Either of the old Crescent Hawk games would be a closer match.

Re: MWO: its large stable of 'Mechs notwithstanding, there's almost nothing else out there currently being updated. MWO, Hawken and the Mechwarrior:Living Legends mod, and I think that's it.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
24. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 15, 2017, 23:11 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 15, 2017, 13:25:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 15, 2017, 11:57:
I think the last point is more cogent than the lack of competition.
So, you think there are more ISPs which provide content than ISPs which have a broadband monopoly? We'd have to agree to disagree on that point. An even better transport analogy would be, imagine if one car manufacturer's cars were allowed to go 70 mph on the interstates but others were only allowed to go 45 mph. How long do you think that would last before the people rose up against it in mass numbers?

I think the monopoly is less relevant than ISPs providing content. The costs of laying infrastructure make the monopoly inevitable to some extent. And even if there were more competition there's nothing to suggest that the new ISPs wouldn't all go into business of providing content, or at least making deals with companies that do generate content. There are a lot of network and cable television channels, but nearly all of the non-premium stations have commercials.

The monopoly situation sucks for pricing and customer service and it's a big problem, but I don't think it ties directly into net neutrality.

21. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 15, 2017, 11:57 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 09:02:
Yes, in a perfect world, normal capitalistic forces would drive ISPs to be more responsible towards the consumers. However, you can't have the competition factors which might drive ISPs to be consumer focused when in a vast majority of locations there is a monopoly for broadband delivery. This becomes especially problematic when the ISPs and the content providers are owned by the same people.

I think the last point is more cogent than the lack of competition. Steam, Google and Amazon have more competition than my local ISPs do, but it wouldn't be okay at all for Steam to prioritize CS bandwidth over PUBG, or Google to screw with search results for iPhones or apps competing with Hangouts, Calendar, Gmail, etc. It's slightly skeezy that Amazon puts its own products at the top of search results, but one click changes the sort results and that's that.

Of course, given the lack of competition WaltC's argument is just insulting. It's like if airports were allowed to run their own flights and proceeded to dick over the other airlines. Well, you can always drive, says the tool of the corporate machine.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 14, 2017, 23:56 Orogogus

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 22:53:
This title is misleading. The FBI was already investigating him for probably just being Chinese at a research university, and stumbled upon this inside trading. The browsing history is just icing on the cake, the spouse phone calls and following purchases in the mother's name are all the SEC needed.

Eh... there are a lot of Chinese in graduate programs. It doesn't seem like it would be a productive line of attack.

But yeah, he didn't get busted for his browsing history, he got busted for actual insider trading.

12. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 13, 2017, 10:55 Orogogus

My Internet service has absolutely gotten worse since 1997, when I first signed up. They are 100% throttling YouTube (and I assume Netflix, Hulu, etc.) -- after work, if I try to load YouTube videos, half the time they sit and buffer until they give up and default to something absurd like 144p. But this problem went away when I switched to Google's public DNS, and recurs if I switch back.

And it's also gotten more expensive, on the order of $25 -> $60. Every two or three years it goes up again because yet another promotional rate has expired, even though the last time I applied for one was in 2005.

Granted, it's also gotten faster, but I'd call it a net loss.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
38. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 11, 2017, 21:27 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2017, 20:54:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Jul 11, 2017, 19:50:
GET a JOB. Stop doing drugs. Stop getting welfare. Obama is not your daddy. Here is hint for all of you Hillary loving Lib tarts. Trump is your president. Get on your knees and whoreship the greatest president to ever live. Repeat after me, I love &#10084;&#65039; big daddy Trumpster! Long live Trump!

Nice for you to stop posting negativity, anti-SC, and REMOVED posts long enough to tell us that we should worship a president, because that's a good thing.

It's hard to tell because not everyone follows their medication schedule, but I think he was being sarcastic. I don't think anyone on either side tells people to worship their guy. Usually you make your candidate out to be a reasonable person trying to do the right thing and the opposition to be insane animals.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
14. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 11, 2017, 13:10 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2017, 12:31:
Timmeh wrote on Jul 11, 2017, 10:47:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 11, 2017, 09:28:
It only gets better.ACLU Files Suit Against White House Election Fraud Commission

Yes because Democrats love to cheat and hide it then call everyone else a cheater.

That's the truth.

If the facts were on the table the illegal votes for Obama and Clinton would be far higher than anyone would believe. In fact a recent study showed that as many as 6 million illegal votes were cast for Obama in 2008.

That number is probably between 5-10 million for Clinton in 2016. If you are a democrat leftist Saul Alinskyite radical you clearly want that covered up forever.

I... I'm not convinced you know what a "fact" is. I am convinced you believe too much Alex Jones, though.

It's wonderful that you mention "the truth" then cite nothing.

It's just, you have to be willfully stupid to believe that it would be possible to put in 6 million rigged votes. Like, tens of thousands of precincts complicit, no opposing observers at any of them and none of the thousands of people involved blowing the whistle on a nationwide conspiracy that managed not to raise any statistical red flags.

If the Democrats had the logistical skills to insert 6 million rigged votes for the presidency, did they just forget to jigger the House and Senate votes, or the governorships?

I mean, basic, basic critical thinking skills here.

26. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2017, 02:41 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Jul 9, 2017, 02:25:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 8, 2017, 21:30:

You don't want kx to talk about his religion so much, but you can't leave it alone, either.

Seemed to me he was heading that rider off at the pass.

I thought kx's reply was more interesting than people bagging on his religion and baiting him yet again. It's not greatly different from right wingers who like to go on about the terribleness of Islam.

20. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2017, 21:30 Orogogus

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 8, 2017, 19:55:
NKD wrote on Jul 8, 2017, 19:45:

Not to derail things but aren't you a JDubz? Like, surgery is bad because you can't get a transfusion? I mean hernia operation isn't exactly a bloodbath normally but...
Careful, that's one bandaid you don't want to rip-off.
Because the rabbit hole underneath is a maze that changes after every interpretation.
Keep em guessing , fearful, lost and searching for the meaning of life and you can control them and extract money even after death.

You don't want kx to talk about his religion so much, but you can't leave it alone, either.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 5, 2017, 22:19 Orogogus

Doesn't it make it hard to follow sports if you don't believe in percentage odds?  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
40. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 30, 2017, 07:06 Orogogus

MeanJim wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 21:45:
I was calling bullshit on your statement that "the wheelchair guys don't even have to go to the business in question. They can just sue and then see who coughs up money." You're making it sound like people in wheelchairs have nothing better to do than go around looking for people to sue. You do have to have been in the business to legitimately sue them. They're called drive by ADA lawsuits. They were in the news a lot a year or so ago. Scumbag lawyers go around finding businesses to sue, then pay some poor schmuck in a wheelchair to sign as the plaintiff and promise a bonus for each one settled. They've started cracking down on these schemes, but the sad part is that these mass lawsuits have drowned out people with legitimate complaints.

You have to have been inside the business to win. One of those articles describes how one restaurant went to court and produced tapes showing that no one in a wheelchair went in the restroom on the date of the alleged incident, whereupon the plaintiff dropped the suit. But that costs money, and the lawyers can offer to settle for less than it costs the restaurant to go to court and win.

It's sad that it's overshadowing legitimate complaints. It's also sad that it's hurting businesses, including ones that are in full compliance with the ADA, and by extension the people who work there.

The left has reputation for being anti-business, and it might not be wholly undeserved. It's not hard to look at a discussion like this and get the impression that there's no sympathy whatsoever for businesses, even when they're not giant corporations with powerful lobbies. Wherever individual sympathies lie, I think it's part of the image problem that's costing elections.

31. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2017, 20:56 Orogogus

MeanJim wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 20:16:
Oh bullshit. I've read about those and seen them on the news. Those lawsuits you're talking about are being filed by scumbag lawyers trying to make a buck, not "the wheelchair guys."

It's both. A law firm would have no standing to sue. And you wouldn't go in without a lawyer, whether or not you have cause. There are law firms who cater to disabled people who do this repeatedly.

Link
Link

It's not all or even a significant percentage of people with disabilities. But their condition doesn't make them saints, either, and I've seen nothing to suggest that these suits are filed by people without disabilities. I don't know what you think is bullshit. The cost of doing business is that sometimes you get shaken down, and you have to see whether you can afford to pay or not to pay.

22. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2017, 19:41 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 17:24:
I'm a believer they have their own organization for this and for every region in Murica, there is that wheelchair person that goes store to store just looking for trouble and heading straight to city hall to report you. If they need it or not... they will just do it.

In Southern California, the wheelchair guys don't even have to go to the business in question. They can just sue and then see who coughs up money. Some places will fight it, but others will cave because it's cheaper to settle even if they're in compliance. From friends who operate or have operated restaurants in San Diego, it seems like 100% of the restaurants here get sued, it's just a matter of when and how often. Don't know about retail stores.

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2017, 12:51 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 09:37:
Creston wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 09:27:
Wuh? I hate Uber and everything it does, but are they saying they want every single Uber driver to have a wheelchair accessible car?

No. They just want people that need wheelchair accessible cars to not have to pay extra for it.

That doesn't seem accurate, based on the article. In addition to not paying more, it does seem like they're demanding more wheelchair accessible cars on the road.

"Ultimately, the ERC wants Uber to integrate wheelchair accessible cars into its UberX fleet so that people who use wheelchairs donít have to wait longer and pay more to use the car service."

I don't see anything to indicate that the higher fares are a higher priority issue.

News Comments > Star Citizen Bank Loan Follow-up
91. Re: Star Citizen Bank Loan Follow-up Jun 28, 2017, 17:04 Orogogus

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 09:17:
Peter M. Smith wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 09:06:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 17:57:
If I had to hazard a guess, it's because Cutter posts a lot and many of the posts aren't just attacks...

Which is crap. A call for violence is still a call for violence, even if it's only a few percentage posts of the poster's overall count.
I don't know if logic is allowed in a discussion concerning cutter.
Blue has explained to him more than once how to play nice but it doesn't stick. He will eventually go too far and Blue will drop the hammer, just like he does when he bans captain space agent rudra harlock. It's just that the maladjusted dolts can't stay away.

I'm not Blue so I can't say how he thinks, but my own observation is that there's not really any "going too far" that gets you kicked. People violate the forum rules all the time, and the posts just gets deleted (sometimes, I think depending on whether anyone reports them). Space captain got banned when he went on benders of, like, dozens of posts just insulting and attacking people and it seemed like he was no longer interested in making normal posts at all.

A more heavily curated board would have a big serious list of infractions and penalties, and generally speaking the admins wouldn't tolerate people publicly questioning the policies or moderation. Blue leaves those posts up all the time, people whining and bitching about their posts getting deleted. If it bothers people that wrongdoers don't get banned instead of just having posts removed, this board may just not be a good fit.

1591 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo