Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1717 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > BattlEye Bans a Boatload in PUBG
24. Re: BattlEye Bans a Boatload in PUBG Dec 29, 2017, 06:06 Orogogus

Steele Johnson wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 03:57:
These game companies need to design their games better!

This is a common argument in this thread, but it seems kind of glib. If people don't believe it's possible for companies to create reliable anti-piracy DRM because pirates are so good, why would it be any easier to stop cheaters?

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 01:17:
You know, they could just reverse all trades these banned accounts did and that would insta ruin these chinese farmers due to charge-backs. But that would cost them money, banning them earns them money.

Seams like a developer supported money laundering racket to me.

I'm not sure I understand. PUBG money farming goes through Steam, right? So a player buys an item from a cheater, then PUBG bans the cheater, and then asks Valve to reverse the trade? Is that something Valve ever does? Or does the buyer initiate a chargeback through their credit card company? I think Valve automatically locks down people's Steam accounts if that happens, since they're the ones who get hit with the chargeback fee.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER II: Rise of the Tomb Kings Announced
4. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER II: Rise of the Tomb Kings Announced Dec 19, 2017, 22:36 Orogogus

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 22:20:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 21:52:
Did Warhammer I ever come out with all the nickle and dime DLC wrapped up in one GOTY edition?
No and there doesn't appear to be plans right now for anything like that. Likely because the game sold so well, maybe in 6mo after half of WH2's stuff really starts rolling out?

That seems optimistic. I don't even see an all-in-one pack for Rome II or Attila, and those games are about 3-4 years old.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
16. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 18, 2017, 23:01 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 22:34:
Actually, this is part of the problem. The consumer bandwidth is completely oversold. Comcast may have "sold" me 75m download speed for $49.99 a month. But the reality is if all the people connected on my shared node/region/block/whatever try to stream a HD Netflix film at the same time, we won't be able to. And generally, people want to do this at the same time, after dinner.

Unfortunately, the only real solution to that problem is to bill by usage instead of a flat monthly fee. Which might be reasonable, but isn't likely to happen.

In theory that's true, but there's a sizable body of evidence that the technology and infrastructure advanced far faster than usage while costs dropped, and that the ISPs actually could supply bandwidth for 4K streams on top of gaming and voice and file transfers everywhere except the remote areas that they never hooked up. Traffic maps don't show congestion, the Comcast/Netflix issue was solved legally and not technically, pricing is homogeneous nearly everywhere except where fiber is available, providing actual competition, and ISPs haven't actually upgraded their infrastructure after people paid more for the "oversold" bandwidth.

It's been said that throttling and usage caps exist to make more money with extra fees rather than to shape bandwidth or fund upgrades, and nothing I've seen contradicts this.

14. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 18, 2017, 22:19 Orogogus

That's what Saboth was getting at, I think. If Comcast was having trouble with Netflix using too much bandwidth, then they never had any intention of giving x number of their paying customers the 105 MB downstream they were promised. That 105 MB times x would have congested their network whether it was from Netflix or Wikipedia or the Library of Congress. And no one will be happy at the idea of their ISP selling a 105 MB package for suckers who will only use a tiny bit of it and another, more expensive 105 MB package for people who actually use it. The natural reaction of anyone not drinking the Kool-Aid is going to be, fuck you Comcast, give me the 105 MB I fucking paid for.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 18, 2017, 21:01 Orogogus

MrBone wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 20:49:
Some of you support the DNC that literally screwed Bernie during the last election. Amazing. I can't wait for 2020 either.

Is it that you think Sanders would have won the nomination if the DNC had sat back?

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 18, 2017, 20:05 Orogogus

Timmeh wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 19:08:
but you cant have Netflix or Disney hogging up all the bandwidth and them not having to pay for it.

To expound on Beamer's incredulity -- what do you mean, exactly, "not having to pay for it"?

When you or I subscribe to an Internet service package from Cox or Spectrum, it clearly says you get 10 MB down / 1 MB up, or whatever. If I sign up for file hosting on Dropbox there's a limit on how much bandwidth I can use in a month. If I publish a website and it gets way more traffic than expected, the host will take it down unless I pay for it.

What makes you think Netflix and Disney aren't charged for the bandwidth they use, that they're getting some kind of free ride?

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced
37. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 11, 2017, 14:23 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 14:15:
Was there any heat management? Maybe they haven't implemented it yet? Or maybe it just didn't trigger because that Shadowhawk was kitted with autocannon and LRMs. Maybe it's the graph next to the radar, hard to tell.

Yeah, a stock 3025 Shadow Hawk is heat neutral, and can't generate any heat barring damage or special environmental conditions. I'm pretty sure heat is that bar to the right of the radar, since the number above it is denoted in degrees.

News Comments > Star Control Rights Follow-up
6. Re: Star Control Rights Follow-up Dec 5, 2017, 13:47 Orogogus

datachasm wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 13:37:
would be great if they open sourced the games. star control 1 was a great game. 2 and 3... not so much.

That's possibly a unique opinion. Everyone agrees 3 was garbage, but I've never heard anyone liking 1 but not 2. Is it that you really liked the beer-and-pretzels strategy game component, and the whole action-RPG story in 2 did nothing for you?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 4, 2017, 18:50 Orogogus

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 3, 2017, 19:43:
Yup. PUBG's been top dawg since March consistently every fucking week after week after week...
No CoD, no AssCreed, no Middle Earth, no GTA, no Skyrim, no Witcher has been able to dethrone it. Sad but true.

I think all those other games are available elsewhere -- GOG, Uplay, physical stores, consoles -- diluting their sales, but for now PUBG is on Steam and nowhere else. If the gap has been close at any point then it's possible they might have outsold it.

Also, PUBG apparently has a massive Chinese presence that nothing else has, with such an impact that simplified Chinese is the commanding majority user language on Steam (65%). So it's not as if random plebs are buying PUBG and nothing else nowadays.

News Comments > Who Controls Star Control?
36. Re: Who Controls Star Control? Dec 4, 2017, 16:16 Orogogus

Kxmode wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 15:52:
Thanks for the article. Fascinating insight from 2001. The author does appear to mirror my point.

The idea of making a game that just doesn't use the name "Star Control" doesn't seem to be addressed.

Besides that, it's well known that publishers with trademark and publishing rights have blanket protections against creating any games that share similar name. Although not exactly a direct comparison, CBS versus "Star Trek" Axanar is a good example. The before video and after video is crazy in how much the show was gutted to the point where it is merely implied it takes place in the Trek universe without explicitly claiming it does.

I mean, it would be like Star Trek if CBS or Paramount or whoever had the rights to the name "Star Trek" but Roddenberry retained the rights to, say, the original series and TNG. The evidence seems to support what the paper says, that Reiche and Ford negotiated an unusual sweetheart deal that gave them the rights to the games they made, providing a leg to stand on for the claims they're making now. It seems to me that Stardock is more on the Axanar side of things, not using anything from the first two games, but unlike Axanar, having the rights to use the name itself.

32. Re: Who Controls Star Control? Dec 4, 2017, 15:08 Orogogus

Kxmode wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 14:50:
The ownership stays with whoever published the product. It started with Accolade, then Infogrames. All the while Infogrames owned Atari. If Infogrames decided to transfer ownership of Star Control to Atari to reinvigorate the brand, then control belonged to Atari. When sold, Star Control would have then transferred ownership to Stardock.

Toys for Bob lost ownership of their game as soon as they signed the publishing contract with Accolade and even more so as the property moved from one publisher to another. This is the primary reason Chris Roberts couldn't make a new Wing Commander game, and Derek Smart had to fight Take-Two in court to get his BC3000 IP back.

It sounds like now that their property is very popular again Toys for Bob is total butt-hurt over their ability to fully own the property. They should have continued to work out a licensing agreement with Stardock, the current owners of the property, instead of taking this nonsense online. It reeks of an amateur move.

I don't think you're right. I don't believe Reiche & Ford would have asserted that Atari's rights expired if they had no reason to think so, to the point of publishing Star Control II online in the form of The Ur-Quan Masters, uncontested, and complete with source code for a commercial version, for 15 years. GOG lists Toys for Bob and Stardock as the company for Star Control 2, which I don't think they'd do for no reason.

Some quick Internet research turned up an interesting student paper that describes some of the history of SC and SC2: Link

They were able to get a contract with Accolade, as outside developers. They were on their own for the most part, but they were paid for meeting milestones and would collect royalties on sales (while Accolade made most of the money, to recover the costs of paying the bills). Accolade would own the trademarks, but Reiche and Ford were careful to retain ownership of the ideas.

Unusual, but it would explain why two high profile developers would be willing to run what would otherwise be a heinously illegal abandonware fansite.

26. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 4, 2017, 13:27 Orogogus

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 10:06:
The case wasn't settled, it was dismissed with prejudice. Meaning that she lost due to lack of evidence.

As far as I can tell, it was dismissed as part of a settlement, although the sources lead back to Kotaku. Do you have a source that says there was no settlement and that the case actually went through to its conclusion?

22. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 3, 2017, 23:02 Orogogus

Razumen wrote on Dec 3, 2017, 08:48:
It's true that he shouldn't have claimed that it was indicative of actual events in Britain, but people are not upset about that, they're upset about the videos, of which only one didn't actually show what it claimed to. Regardless of that, these videos themselves do not contain "lies or mischaracterizations" - they are just that, videos of actual events that happened.

I feel those events are taken out of context, as if I could take the murder of Jo Cox and use that to paint everyone who was pro-Brexit as a violent killer, or white people, or gun owners.

"even the most pro-gun control liberals don't suggest that every gun owner is a violent murderer."
And yet, not even Trump did that, so I think this statement is irrelevant.
I didn't think I had to explain this, but Trump and you seem to be saying that all Muslims are violent, that the religion is irredeemable and anyone who follows it should be immediately categorized as such.

Also, the myth of the radical Muslim minority is just that, a myth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7TAAw3oQvg
A majority of muslims throughout the world support forms of radical acts, pretending like it's not a problem isn't going to make it go away.

I'm not going to watch a video. Videos are for 9/11 and moon landing conspiracies. People use videos to fucking lie. But in general -- I believe that extremism takes root easily in conditions of poverty and poor social mobility. People with little to lose take well to hating a convenient enemy. And the Mideast generally isn't doing well in this regard. So there, and in countries where Muslims are living in ghettos, then yes, I could believe that there's a widespread sympathy for us-vs-them extremism. Just like the Buddhists in Myanmar, the Hindus in India, and the Serbs in Bosnia. The Muslims I've known personally are middle class, and they've spoken against terrorist groups, especially since so much of the violence they perpetrate is against other Muslims.

I don't really feel like most people take their religion's teachings to heart. It's just a different kind of sports team, no matter whether your religion tells you to love your neighbor or to free yourself from worldly desires. If the people in the Mideast believed in Christianity instead of Islam we would still have people drumming up hate against them because it was the wrong kind of Christianity, and a lot of them would still hate us ostensibly for the same reason. Ayatollah Khomeini turned Iran into a theocratic hell on earth, but I don't think the same would have been impossible under Orthodox Judaism or Puritanical Christianity.

15. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 2, 2017, 04:15 Orogogus

Quboid wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 21:42:
Do you think it's impossible for propaganda to reference actual events, even if they had been represented accurately?

More to the point, they're not represented accurately. The three videos contain lies and mischaracterizations, and ignore context.
Snopes

But the hate speech part of it is this -- even the most pro-gun control liberals don't suggest that every gun owner is a violent murderer. They don't respond to mass shootings in the news with, "Oh, sure, there are good gun owners out there." Using a video of an extremist to say the entire religion is evil is as stupid as if you broadened the generalization to say that all religion is evil, or if aliens from Alpha Centauri used it to conclude that all humans were evil, or carbon-based life.

If the religion were as vile as all that, people wouldn't be cherry-picking videos from political riots and straight up making things up, there'd be actual videos taken at home of the Muslim next door running amok, of preachers in the US advocating violence and oppression.

News Comments > DOOM VFR Released
2. Re: DOOM VFR Released Nov 30, 2017, 20:40 Orogogus

Veinman wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 20:36:
So is this the full game in VR, or something different?

Somewhat less, I'm given to understand:

UploadVR review

Rather than creating an original adventure from scratch, id has remixed the campaign from the excellent 2016 reboot for Doom VFR. It takes about a quarter of the locations and, from what I can remember, all of the enemies and weapons, dresses them up in a fresh but instantly forgettable story and tweaks the controls to make it as immersive and as comfortable as possible inside a VR headset. The result is a handful of levels forming a two to four-hour-long campaign depending on the difficulty you pick (I played on hard). Each of these will see you travel to different locations at the Union Aerospace Corporation on Mars, which is overrun by demons of all shapes and sizes. Without spoiling anything, you’ll later visit another location seen in the 2016 campaign.

News Comments > AMD Driver Rebranding
10. Re: AMD Driver Rebranding Nov 30, 2017, 13:57 Orogogus

The word is valid without the e. There's some details about trademarks and the original publication, but basically it's okay with or without.  

News Comments > EA Says Visceral's Cancelled Star Wars Game Was Too Linear
31. Re: EA Says Visceral's Cancelled Star Wars Game Was Too Linear Nov 30, 2017, 12:54 Orogogus

yonder wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 08:16:
Wesp5 wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 06:29:
So no one wants a linear single-player game anymore? Does anyone have numbers on how well the Doom and Wolfenstein remakes did? Because they were classical linear single-player shooters!

Might wanna check the definition of classical. Most of the original 3D shooters weren't remotely linear, you can think CoD and consoler shooters for linearity becoming the standard.

I think you can thank Half Life.

News Comments > Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier
8. Re: Report: Gazillion Firing Staff; Ending Marvel Heroes Even Earlier Nov 23, 2017, 13:34 Orogogus

Verno wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 12:52:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 12:26:
That sucks. It's one thing to be told the party's over, it's last call, get your shit together soon... But then you're sacked 5 weeks early with no severance or anything? Time to lawyer up, if there's anyone left to sue.

Yeah that's brutal, definitely worth talking to an attorney.

If they were running on credit and the bank called in the chips then I don't see who these people could sue -- Gazillion obviously has no money to give out.

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale and Steam Awards Return
14. Re: Steam Autumn Sale and Steam Awards Return Nov 23, 2017, 13:26 Orogogus

Wash Washburne wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 08:36:
On a another note, anybody else finds fascinating that Bethesda released Fallout 4 stand alone version just for VR at a full retail price? Where every other title that either has, or added VR support in post release, it's a bonus, aka, free add-on?

That's not really true. The Haunting of Ethan Carter has VR as paid DLC. SUPERHOT VR and Serious Sam 3 are separate purchases from the original games, just like Fallout 4. Pinball FX2 VR is a separate purchase and you have to rebuy tables you already own. Blazerush abandoned its Steam customers and went to the Oculus Store.

In general I don't really mind. Everyone knows there's not a ton of money to be made in VR yet, and most of these companies are going to be flat out losing money on it for now.

In Bethesda's case in particular I'm kind of irked. After taking Carmack to court for allegedly stealing all this valuable VR tech, their first VR product, Skyrim VR, is a PSVR exclusive, giving PC VR enthusiasts nothing over the Thanksgiving holiday. Just swell.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
29. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 22, 2017, 19:41 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 13:49:
Clinton got a pass because it was 20 years ago, and the people angry now weren't in position to pay attention back then (because most were young.) Once something comes up, and it almost definitely will, it will be addressed and I'd wager no pass is given.

Maybe, maybe not. I think he'll stay out of the spotlight and we won't hear from him again unless Chelsea runs for office. I didn't bring him up to go over how bad he is or isn't, but as an example of the Democrats not turning on their own for the slightest indiscretion. Franken's the person in question right now, but I can't figure out who else has established the alleged pattern. Democratic superdonor Weinstein, from all accounts, is a monster. Left-leaning Kevin Spacey also seems to be a gross person.

It's not Weiner, is it?

1717 Comments. 86 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo