Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1719 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2018, 21:48 Orogogus

Pigs can do sniffing jobs, not assault jobs. They've hunted for truffles for hundreds of years. And you're the one who said "intelligence," which is where they shine.

I don't even understand your argument about cows. Oxen are male cattle. They're the same animal. You say a horse has more uses so it's okay to eat the cows, but the logical rejoinder is that people have more uses than any animal, which is why it's okay to eat everything but other people.

And there are plenty of non-working dog breeds. For that matter you can just eat the ones that aren't working, the way you eat the chickens that aren't laying eggs, the sheep that you aren't raising for wool, the cattle that aren't pulling plows.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2018, 18:16 Orogogus

I think that's somewhat dubious reasoning. If you count a horse as a working animal then cows and goats can pull things, too. Guard geese have been a thing going back to antiquity. Outside of the primates and cetaceans it doesn't seem like there's that much difference in intelligence between the food and non-food mammals. Pigs are about as smart as dogs and can do many of the same jobs.

I think the unspoken rule is "don't eat the cute ones," but the reason it's unspoken is because everyone knows it's dumb.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2018, 16:41 Orogogus

I mean, Hindus think the same thing about people who eat cows, although their equivalent of "America, fuck yeah!" is more about lynching and murdering people who think differently than posting shitty Photoshops.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 9, 2018, 15:32 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Feb 9, 2018, 15:19:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 9, 2018, 13:22:
But if Amazon ships their own stuff, who else can they blame when your shit is late or lost?

I ordered a few things on Amazon worth a couple hundred bucks. After 3 weeks it hadn't arrived, and there was no update on the shipping tracker, so Amazon sent me an email asking me if I wanted a refund. So I said yes. A week later, the stuff came.

The same thing just happened to me a few weeks ago, except Amazon sent a notice telling me that the package had been lost in transit and that I should contact them. I did, the guy refunded my credit card, and then it arrived two days later. It was only about $40 worth of stuff, not a couple hundred, but even then I was wondering how they could afford to deal with those kinds of shipping errors on a regular basis.

News Comments > PUBG Anti-Cheat Release Delayed
8. Re: PUBG Anti-Cheat Release Delayed Feb 6, 2018, 13:56 Orogogus

I think Reshade added a zoom feature last week, didn't it?  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2018, 23:14 Orogogus

1badmf wrote on Feb 3, 2018, 21:45:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 3, 2018, 17:15:
I had forgotten about that incident... although once I started reading the wiki article I remembered hearing about most of it. I recall the initial blaming of Hartwig, then a second investigation which seemed to clear him. I did not recall the homosexual angle. Big snafu all around. I would have been in the USAF then, so I'm sure it was "big news"...

reading the wiki about the incident, it's fucking depressing how the navy tried to blame a dead man for the negligence of a bunch of bureacrats and senior officers. i've read it before, but i couldn't even finish reading it again.

Ugh. That was a very sad read about powerful people going unpunished for covering their asses, interfering with investigations, lying, falsification and engaging in petty dickery at the expense of people unable to defend themselves. What a pile of fucking scumbags.

News Comments > EA Financial Results
14. Re: EA Financial Results Jan 31, 2018, 12:23 Orogogus

DangerDog wrote on Jan 31, 2018, 00:36:
The Emperors last order is to go full Hitler and execute a scorched earth policy, but instead of doing it to rebel scum they do it to planets loyal to the Empire.

Wasn't this how Babylon V climaxed, too? People liked that, didn't they?

News Comments > MS Acquisition Rumor Targets include EA, Valve, & PUBG
22. Re: MS Acquisition Rumor Targets include EA, Valve, & PUBG Jan 29, 2018, 22:17 Orogogus

MeanJim wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 22:08:
This is proof that MS doesn't give a shit about gaming. They just want XBONE exclusive titles to sell more XBONES. If they gave a shit about gaming, they would make games for all gamers on all platforms.

It doesn't seem to me that talk thrown around between analysts could possibly be proof of anything.

News Comments > Are "Let's Play" Streams Legal?
41. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 13:29 Orogogus

headkase wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 13:13:
No one bit on what I posted previously.

In terms of fair use there is a property of "transformative".

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/fair-use-what-transformative.html

If the act of playing the game, and it is to be decided by an eventual trial, is "transformative" of the game then it may be fair use.

That seems like a long shot when people are making money off of the streams. A song parody or Warhol pop art are transformative in a way that the courts let people cash in on the resulting work. A video of someone straight up playing a game as intended, no outrageous gimmicks involved ("Darth Vader plays PUBG"), doesn't seem like it checks a lot of boxes on the fair use score sheet.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2018, 16:17 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 02:04:
Sure the guy was a dick, but not for the reasons you state: NEVER HOLD YOUR FUCKING PHONE IN THE VERTICAL POSITION WHEN SHOOTING A VIDEO. There's only one time you should be holding it vertical: when filming a rocket launch.

I'm always baffled by the way people can't rush to the downvote button and leave a snarky comment fast enough when they see a vertical video on YouTube, but there's never anyone calling out the squashed or stretched videos posted in the wrong aspect ratio. How does that not bother people but black bars send them into a rabid rage?

For most vertical videos, you're not watching the video to get some kind of immersive experience. If you're at the theater and the movie is in a vertical aspect ratio, that's a problem. But on YouTube, as long as the cat or whatever isn't cut off I don't get the big deal. Phones are easier to hold and the record button is easier to push in the vertical position, so people do it that way.

News Comments > New Dragon Age Game in the Works
29. Re: New Dragon Age Game in the Works Jan 26, 2018, 02:27 Orogogus

Jerykk wrote on Jan 25, 2018, 23:07:
Orogogus wrote on Jan 25, 2018, 18:04:
The PC gets a lot of indie games, but all the big budget games still end up on one or both of the consoles.

All the big-budget games come to PC as well (except for the first-party exclusives). Given the rising costs of AAA development, not releasing on PC is just throwing away money.

Ya, but the PC doesn't get first party exclusives. So games like Horizon Zero Dawn or Uncharted never come over, but everything on the PC goes over there. Except the MOBAs, I guess? It seems like a net win for consoles to me.

Also, the rising profits of PC gaming are due primarily to incredibly popular F2P games like Lol and DotA2 more than anything else. PUBG is popular, but it's a one-time purchase whereas F2P can monetize for years.

That was true last year, but I feel like PUBG is really something else due to its monetization attracting the Chinese farmers. Simplified Chinese is the leading user language on Steam by about a 4:1 ratio, when it was more like 1:1 slightly in favor of English as recently as September. I think it's probably a major factor on its own, the way Pokemon Go was for mobile. Not a long term thing, but it's certainly true this past year.

News Comments > New Dragon Age Game in the Works
26. Re: New Dragon Age Game in the Works Jan 25, 2018, 18:04 Orogogus

Quinn wrote on Jan 25, 2018, 17:22:
I may want to see something that isn't there, but I really think the PC is a platform growing in popularity greatly in the last few years.

I think you're seeing what you want to see.

Gamesindustry.biz link

Console and non-browser PC games holding steady, with far more growth in mobile games. Insofar as the PC segment is holding its own, it's due almost entirely to Chinese farmers jumping on PUBG in a big way while the Xbox and PS never really gained a foothold in China even after being unbanned. If you take China out of the equation then the consoles would have a substantial lead over PC (but still trailing mobile, I think).

While I don't have a PS4, people speak very highly of its exclusives like Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted. On the VR side Sony was able to lock down high profile games like Resident Evil 7 and Skyrim, keeping them out of the hands of PC VR users. I just don't see the console side being defeated at all. The PC gets a lot of indie games, but all the big budget games still end up on one or both of the consoles.

News Comments > Subnautica Surfaces
20. Re: Subnautica Surfaces Jan 25, 2018, 17:04 Orogogus

Lord Tea wrote on Jan 25, 2018, 16:17:
Save it for later then. I've heard the VR experience is even cooler than the standard game.

I kind of disagree. I haven't played much of this, but my experience with it in VR was 1) it doesn't support motion controllers (Oculus Touch or Vive wands), it's gamepad only (or KBAM, I guess); 2) the level of "not optimized for VR" is such that the tutorial or objective text is floating just out of sight off the top of the screen -- you can just see the bottom edge of the text and if you turn your head to look up it just follows your head out of view. And I think it's been like that for more than a year; 3) there are no comfort options for movement. It's just the regular 2D controls, which gives a lot of people motion sickness. Other games fiddle with teleportation, blurring the edges during rotation, dash movement, and so on, but there's none of that here.

On the bright side, it looks nice and it's an actual game and not another a wave shooter. But by no means would I consider this a showcase VR experience or even notably superior to the standard game. I've read that the developer plans to go back and improve the VR support, so that's good.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Multiplayer Changes; Linux Edition Delayed
9. Re: BATTLETECH Multiplayer Changes; Linux Edition Delayed Jan 17, 2018, 14:23 Orogogus

Flatline wrote on Jan 17, 2018, 13:55:
Don't expect a 1-1 copy of tabletop. Because it's not that. It's pretty close, probably about 70% identical to tabletop, but the numbers are changed, initiative is changed, and a few things feel different due to that.

I was under the impression there were more fundamental gameplay changes than just initiative, like stability damage resulting in a lot more knockdowns, damage reduction stances, special abilities, rage meters, etc., giving it a feel more like a modern TBS like X-COM than, say, Megamek. Kind of like how Space Hulk Ascension applied more video-gamey elements over the original straight-from-board-game translation, resulting in generally positive reviews.

News Comments > Robot Cache Promises Digital Game Resales
8. Re: Robot Cache Promises Digital Game Resales Jan 17, 2018, 03:44 Orogogus

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 17, 2018, 03:40:
Cutter wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 20:37:
25%? Suck my balls. I'd rather it gather digital dust than just give it away. This is the right idea, but it's greedy. Make it 75 points and it's a done deal.

I'd take 25% back from a lot of the dumb shit I've bought on Steam over the years in a heartbeat. It would add up, and I'll never play any of that stuff again.

Would I trade in good games I might play again for 25%? No, but that doesn't mean this would have no value.

It's not even 25% of the original value, it's 25% of however much you get someone to pay you for a game. So you're probably looking at a little less than 25% of whatever it's going for on Steam or Humble Bundle or the gray market. And then I guess Robot Cache pockets the other 75%.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2018, 14:36 Orogogus

Homonym or homophone error?  

News Comments > GeForce NOW Beta
5. Re: GeForce NOW Beta Jan 11, 2018, 18:39 Orogogus

Quinn wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 18:22:
The other audience is the actual gamers that do whet for visuals and performance. Those people would be idiots to go for this fee and not invest in a killer gaming machine.

People who travel a lot, maybe. Gamers in the military, or the flight industry. I don't know what else could make it infeasible to set up a desktop. People gaming on company PCs?

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 9, 2018, 05:42 Orogogus

Do you support football team managers punishing players who take a knee? That seems to be the equivalent situation with the politics flipped.  

News Comments > VIVE Pro and Wireless Adaptor Announced
10. Re: VIVE Pro and Wireless Adaptor Announced Jan 8, 2018, 23:42 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 23:20:
“There’s a clear need in the VR market for a premium VR experience with high resolution display, integrated audio and the best components available today in a headset,”

Is it? I'd say that there's a clear need for VR to get significantly cheaper and less cumbersome.

Oh, and for some actual good games to come out on it.

Eh. I feel it's not hard to build a modest library of very playable games that aren't just tech demos now. They'll still be short and somewhat expensive for the amount of content, but it's not like there's nothing but wave shooters any more. Oculus has some quite decent games on their store like Lone Echo, Arktika.1 and Robo Recall. The Vive has Fallout 4, LA Noire VR and DOOM VFR. And cross platform there's Google Earth VR, Gorn, Arizona Sunshine and Arkham VR, as well as a good selection of cockpit/driving games and art apps like Tilt Brush. There's stuff to play now.

I also think the gear got a lot cheaper pretty quickly in the space of a year. This new stuff is going to be more expensive again, but eh, it's new tech and even then I'm inclined to think it's going to end up cheaper than the $800-1000 cost of entry at the beginning of the current gen.

And they're working on the cumbersomeness aspect, too. Reviews from the floor say this headset is a lot more comfortable to wear than the first gen, and they've already announced a first party wireless add-on. And for people who really do care more about convenience than graphics, the standalone headsets from Oculus and on the Windows MR side are a lot easier to pick up and play. I wasn't really expecting the second gen this year, so to me it looks like the tech is moving pretty quickly.

News Comments > VIVE Pro and Wireless Adaptor Announced
2. Re: VIVE Pro and Wireless Adaptor Announced Jan 8, 2018, 20:25 Orogogus

Ya, it looks good. These tick off most of the boxes that people had about the current gen (it would still be nice to know about the FOV and of course the price, and it doesn't look like they've said anything about the new controllers). A review from the floor says the resolution and ergonomic improvements make a big difference, and the wireless works surprisingly well: Gamecrate link  

1719 Comments. 86 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo