Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1474 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
26. Re: Into the Black Apr 11, 2017, 00:53 Orogogus

Kxmode wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 00:09:
Will W wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 23:54:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 23:36:

Emotion and not logic are driving the majority reaction to this situation. People forget that there are no civil rights when you're dealing with a business transaction, just like there are no civil rights when you order a Big Mac from McDonald's. The airlines, while under the jurisdiction of the TSA, FAA, and NTSB, are private businesses. Please don't confuse public civil rights with private companies. Also, resisting the orders of a police officer can result in a felony or misdemeanor depending on the state. It is no less different than a person resisting arrest. Being seated on an airplane is completely irrelevant.

Civil rights include such things as not being denied service based on race (or other protected status) . They certainly do apply to private companies.

The only time civil rights apply is if the TSA, FAA, and (or) the NTSB were to imposed some law that discriminated against a group based on whatever (e.g. race, religion, gender, and so forth). The airlines would have no choice but to comply with the law. People wouldn't go after the airlines, they would go after the government who created the law that violates civil rights in the first place. Do you get it now?

This situation is Civics 101-level stuff. You should know this. Teachers taught it in high school alongside Sociology and History.

This is false.

Link

40127. Prohibitions on discrimination
(a) Persons in Air Transportation.-An air carrier or foreign air carrier may not subject a person in air transportation to discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, or ancestry.

It's not part of the Civil Rights Act, but that act does provide the exact same protection to public facilities, including but not limited to hotels, restaurants and theaters.

===

The idea that being bumped from an airplane is upsetting because it's cramped also seems incorrect on the face of it. It's upsetting because you were expecting to get from point A to point B at time C and if you had any plans, they're shot. People are upset when their flights, trains or buses are unavailable even if they're still at home.

Also, I've never heard of a cinema overbooking except for free advance screenings.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
14. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 10, 2017, 23:07 Orogogus

Kxmode wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 22:22:
requested a refund and a flight replacement, which I'm sure the airline would have been happy to provide for the inconvenience.

Also, required by federal law.

As Moreluckthanskill said, United could have offered more money than the minimum required by law, until someone accepted. But no, thugs are a popular way to get results, too. You said it's the airline's fault, but somehow it's up to the customers to eat it if everyone's time is worth more than the what United offers.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2017, 02:11 Orogogus

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 8, 2017, 16:07:
Beamer wrote on Apr 8, 2017, 15:35:
fishingtime wrote on Apr 8, 2017, 13:10:
snopes has already been exposed as fake news

Examples?
the snopes link is in the threads first post and says, snopes

It even has the underline hyperlink thingy

Beamer means, does fishingtime have an example of snopes posting fake news? And in all probability the answer is haha, no.

News Comments > CD Projekt RED's CYBERPUNK TM
13. Re: CD Projekt RED's CYBERPUNK TM Apr 7, 2017, 15:18 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 15:12:
And why does the original creator of Cyberpunk not own the Cyberpunk trademark?

He might, but he didn't make a video game. These things are usually industry specific since you wouldn't reasonably expect confusion between Andrew's Windows and Doors, and Microsoft's product. And if you're not planning to make a franchise out of it then you might not care.

News Comments > Steam Discovery Changes Will "Fight Fake Games"
35. Re: Steam Discovery Changes Will Apr 7, 2017, 11:56 Orogogus

JohnQP wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 01:29:
Yes but why would that deter a studio from offering a game on another service that charges only a cut?

Only a cut? I mean, as far as I know Steam only charges a cut, it's just that that cut is 30%. You mean a smaller cut?

But as far as I can see nothing stops studios from offering games on other services. There are lots of games on GOG, the Humble Store, itch.io and even a handful of non-EA games on Origin. What stops studios from jumping ship, abandoning Steam while going to a competing service, is that all evidence suggests Steam has a larger user base and a lot of those people won't buy games from other services. Getting 95% of the money from 1000 users would be less than 70% from 100000 users.

News Comments > Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M
27. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 6, 2017, 14:58 Orogogus

I think the way you originally phrased the question is faulty. You initially posed that it was hypocritical to blame gun supply and drug demand on different sides. But you're talking about the drug war now, which is basically the entire situation; there's no dichotomy between drug violence and drug cartels, and you wouldn't expect anyone to apportion blame for gun supply to one side and drug demand on the other. Your own counterargument puts the blame on Mexican cartels for a single situation. You can disagree about whether US demand brings about this violence or not, but I think the charge of hypocrisy is unwarranted.

There is some talk from the left about gun smuggling, but I don't believe they're suggesting that the violence would go away if the US cut off the supply of guns. They just want to go after gun manufacturers.

33. Re: Steam Discovery Changes Will Apr 6, 2017, 13:09 Orogogus

JohnQP wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 08:01:
It seems obvious to me that a big part of what makes Steam and iTunes pre-eminent is that they got there first and got enough companies and users sufficiently invested that there's inertia on both sides against simply jumping ship to any competing service.

Why would one need to "jump ship" to use a different service?

As you can see whenever there's an Origin or UPlay related thread and even some of the GOG ones, people don't like having their libraries spread over multiple services, each with its own login. Steam at least lets you set up shortcuts for non-Steam games, but I don't think other services do. If you want to sort your library by size to see what to delete, that's that much more of a hassle if you have to do it for several different services. For multiplayer games your friends lists are tied to each account, and there might not be cross-play between services. Maybe people care about achievements and where they show up?

In the case of iTunes it's even clearer, since I think iTunes is the music player and your playlist runs off of iTunes. If you want to switch to a different ecosystem you'll have to convert your entire library unless you don't mind having to switch players to get to different songs.

31. Re: Steam Discovery Changes Will Apr 5, 2017, 22:06 Orogogus

Margins shrink on the production side, not distribution. I'm trying to think of where margins have shrunk on distribution, either digital or physical, and examples don't really come to mind.

My points are 1) you haven't shown why 30% is too much, other than it seems like a big number, and 2) "I don't know anything about the details, but I'd guess monopolistic practices (coercing exclusive distro deals) are the only reason Steam has survived this long." was absurd.

It seems obvious to me that a big part of what makes Steam and iTunes pre-eminent is that they got there first and got enough companies and users sufficiently invested that there's inertia on both sides against simply jumping ship to any competing service.

22. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 5, 2017, 21:52 Orogogus

No, go ahead and be insulting if that's the only way you can explain. As I read it you made a digression about the political left, but I don't think it holds up.

- Leftists blame American drug use (demand) for Mexican sales of illegal drugs
- Leftists blame American gun manufacturers (supply) for selling guns to the criminals in Mexico

I don't think most people on the left blame drug users for the drug trade. The talk is usually about legalization to cut demand.

And I don't think left-leaners believe weapons companies are causing violence in Mexico or elsewhere. I think you're conflating two different usages of the word "blame" -- to find someone to be the cause of an undesirable effect, and to find someone to be behaving wrongly regardless of effect -- and it breaks the construction.

29. Re: Steam Discovery Changes Will Apr 5, 2017, 21:28 Orogogus

JohnQP wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 20:43:
Good point, you ask a question I am wont to ask myself, when the roles are reversed. 5 or 10% seems much more reasonable, yes. I have this thing about middlemen...

It's not a useful number to talk about unless you have a point of comparison, or if you know the costs and revenues involved. Not liking middlemen doesn't make 50% or 30% or 5% the right number.

The idea that Valve is coercing exclusive deals seems wildly ridiculous, just completely disconnected from reality.

Speculation about anything has never struck me as completely disconnected from reality (certainly not whether a corp is engaging in profit-maximization).

Gabe Newell engineered the Trump election to drive people to seek solace in video games to escape from reality. That would be pretty disconnected.

Believing that Valve coerces companies into Steam exclusivity requires you to believe that hypothetical Valve salespeople put pressure on a ton of companies, and no one, not even the ones who went with multiple storefronts or even the competitors with tons of money who abandoned Steam entirely, ever said anything about it that made it to print. No one at Valve leaked this practice, while when their competitor in the VR market, Oculus, did this they quickly got a ton of bad press for it.

It requires a lot of conspiracy, and some of the players would have every incentive to stick a dagger in Valve. It's way easier to believe, with a lot of supporting circumstantial evidence, that Steam moves a lot more sales than its competitors, justifying its 30% cut.

News Comments > NieR Ships 1M Copies
15. Re: NieR Ships 1M Copies Apr 5, 2017, 18:43 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 18:39:
Drayth wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 18:30:
It's a little unsettling that I'm seeing a perfectly valid critique of the comment section in quotes, yet the actual post is removed. Was there something else to NetHead's post that warranted removal?

Most of CJ's posts are ludicrous but we get to enjoy each and every one of them.

Basically, it was a level of discourse I think even our worst trolls agree has no place here.

Think, "s u, f."

No, no, that was Geist. Nethead has a removed post, too.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Apr 5, 2017, 17:52 Orogogus

Blue wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 17:42:
Shineyguy wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 16:02:
Holy crap, slower traffic keep right. I remember watching that video maybe 10 years ago. Looks like someone reposted it as new.

Nope. It was March 18, 2016.

Here's a story about the pilots getting their well-deserved medals.

Medals or not they should still drive faster in the leftmost lane.

26. Re: Steam Discovery Changes Will Apr 5, 2017, 13:29 Orogogus

JohnQP wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 07:26:
P.S., I do kinda hate Steam; 30% cut for Valve is criminal. I wish some better service would come along and steal all their business. I don't know anything about the details, but I'd guess monopolistic practices (coercing exclusive distro deals) are the only reason Steam has survived this long. Otherwise someone charging far less should have eaten Gabe's lunch a long time ago.

People say this, but what are they comparing to? Just an imaginary world where digital distributors charge 2%, or is there an actual company you have in mind? I understand iTunes also takes 30%, and it seems to do less than Steam. GOG is supposed to be 30%. And when you sell something at retail most consumer goods go through two or three layers of 100% markup.

The Humble Store only takes 5%, according to the Fez guy, so there you go. Buy all your stuff there.

The idea that Valve is coercing exclusive deals seems wildly ridiculous, just completely disconnected from reality. If they did something like that it would be out on the web immediately, like it is when Oculus or Microsoft does something similar. Even the fact that Valve has salespeople would be news.

Just imagine a game announcing that it's only releasing as a Humble Store or itch.io exclusive, and then imagine the forum responses. Look at the posts when a publisher says it's launching its own online sales front. "Monopolistic practices" was really the most likely answer?

20. Re: Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M Apr 5, 2017, 13:12 Orogogus

JohnQP wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 06:56:
Leftists blame the drug trade on Americans, because they are the demand side (their argument, not mine). They also blame the gun trade on Americans, because they are the supply side (their argument, not mine). Notice the pattern?

That doesn't seem super solid. In your own analogy the drug users/dealers and gun retailers are pimps, hookers and johns. I think it's pretty obvious even to hardcore gun control proponents that if US companies didn't supply arms someone else would, but that doesn't lend any moral weight to doing so.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
17. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 3, 2017, 07:24 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 3, 2017, 07:16:
And I never said nor implied it was a race crime...

Cutter said it was a race crime (black on white) and you came in to defend that.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 2, 2017, 15:50 Orogogus

As Beamer has said before, Cutter has a Cutter-focused viewpoint, not a liberal or conservative one. If you approach every news story with a filter for oldish middle-class white North American male whose interests consist of the Internet, you won't go far wrong predicting his opinion on any given subject.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
7. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Apr 2, 2017, 15:42 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Apr 1, 2017, 22:58:
Saboth wrote on Apr 1, 2017, 16:01:
Hope he has fun in prison with all of those Wells Fargo, Enron, and Volkswagen executives that are in there.

So far, zero Volkswagen executives are in jail. One engineer is under arrest because they're worried he'll just leave the country, since Germany won't extradite him. But that's it. None of the other fuckers will see jailtime.

That was his point, I'm pretty sure -- it's a lot more okay, on the order of a 10 year prison sentence, to screw over your country and the public than it is to screw over your company.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER II Announced
8. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER II Announced Mar 31, 2017, 15:56 Orogogus

When they announced the first game they said it was going to be a trilogy where all three games can link into one combined map.

Link

That being the case, it wouldn't be a good idea to spread them out too much since the engine would just get more and more outdated.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 30, 2017, 16:26 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 16:11:
He is sticking with Protectionism though and I can say that isn't a Corporate thing, they are totally Globalism. But yes in general you are correct.

It can be a corporate thing, too, depending where your business is positioned. There are definitely winners and losers in globalism, and it applies to companies, not just social classes.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
20. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 30, 2017, 14:58 Orogogus

1badmf wrote on Mar 29, 2017, 17:16:
ledhead1969 wrote on Mar 29, 2017, 16:59:
I don't recall seeing ANY Blue's posts about this ISP selling thing for the 7.5 YEARS OBAMA ALLOWED IT. Hypocrisy FTW.

are you for real dude? that is so misleading you could be sued for defamation.

It's hard to follow. So if Trump bans abortion, or sweeps away gun control legislation at any time after day 1, it's exactly the same as if he was supporting abortion or gun control the whole time? And if its swept away in the next administration, Republicans don't get to say anything because Trump allowed it?

I think this board does lean left and I don't want to jump on people just for having a different view from everyone else, but sometimes it's just, do you have to be completely stupid to be on the right, or at least Team Trump?

1474 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo