Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1285 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2016, 15:19 Orogogus

Kxmode wrote on Feb 19, 2016, 10:42:
Hi Stephen. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but on the homepage there's a second video ad.

http://screencast.com/t/iGuteE0KV

These ads makes the homepage unstable.

My workplace has the computers fairly well locked down so I can't install an adblocker or a different browser, and on vanilla IE Blue's is extremely unstable. If I leave the site open for more than a few minutes I can generally expect to come back and find it locked up. Sometimes it freezes up right away. I think Beamer mentioned having keypresses skipped, and I was getting that for a while, too, but it seems clear this week, but still crashy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2016, 20:07 Orogogus

Kxmode wrote on Feb 8, 2016, 11:24:
Edit: Nevermind. Traditional Chinese isn't support on Blues News

I was actually going ask why Blue had it written twice. I thought maybe it was meant to be traditional & simplified, but these 3 characters are identical in both systems.

It seems to me that Chinese isn't supported at all by the message board code, whether simplified or traditional. The forum software converts the characters into NCR codes, which it can display, but it also replaces the ampersands with their HTML code, wrecking the NCR codes. I guess Blue knows a workaround, though, unless he's cheating and editing the HTML directly or something.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Feb 4, 2016, 18:28 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 16:43:
Well, this article is about UK tax relief ( I assume, I can't actually open it here at work), but devs get just as much tax relief on this side of the point.

Why? I'm all for giving fledgling industries the help they need to grow, but now that it's bigger than Hollywood, the handouts really should just stop. It's no different than all the stupid subsidies we keep giving to farmers in freaking Arizona so they can stay afloat.

It's a little more nuanced than blanket tax relief for video game companies. It also applies to animation, films and TV shows, as part of a package designed to promote UK culture in creative media and, yeah, to attract jobs and investment.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Sector_Tax_Relief

The Wikipedia article suggests creative arts-oriented tax relief programs aren't all that common, citing the UK, Japan and Canada.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 1, 2016, 20:52 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Feb 1, 2016, 20:22:
Something doesn't add up there. They blow all the money, but HE is not allowed to talk about anything or HE will get sued, and HE is offering refunds (from what money?)

Seems fishy all around.

I haven't watched the video, but I don't see anything about not being allowed to talk. He's not allowed to host Ant Simulator-related YouTube videos, or do any Ant Simulator-related stuff, but that's because he resigned and presumably the company owns all those assets and the IP.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 28, 2016, 12:28 Orogogus

Cutter wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 22:04:
And to the people last who said 'Oh sure they can.' when I said they couldn't TM it...told you so...as usual.

You said companies can't trademark common usage words and phrases... and they totally can, within a limited field. Apple and Windows are totally trademarked, not "Microsoft Windows." They can't trademark Let's Play because everyone's already using it to mean exactly what Sony wants to use it for.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 24, 2016, 19:01 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2016, 14:56:
IIRC, cheaters who get continuously banned just keep buying new copies. Hard for Valve to fix the cheating when it's such a lucrative revenue stream.

It seems hard to fix whether it's lucrative or not. Without advancement and grind to incur significant regression when people get banned, what can they do? IP bans can be circumvented at the same time they produce false positives. They're not going to require buyers to produce government-issued ID, either. How could they fix it if they were motivated?

News Comments > Evochron Legacy Launches
10. Re: Evochron Legacy Launches Jan 21, 2016, 14:28 Orogogus

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 10:46:
Slashman wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 08:23:
Egosoft has been doing storyline structure for years and that's still the part of the X games I find most pointless and boring.

Because they do it so poorly. Imagine something like Privateer or Freelancer in the X universe. A decent, actual story written by people who know how to do such things.

Egosoft actively sucks at storytelling. FFS, the main villain in most of their games is a race whose name literally sounds like "cock". I know it's spelled Khaak but, come on, even from Germans that's pretty blatant.

Eh... I don't feel Freelancer had a great story, either; just kind of there is the most I can say for it. Privateer was paced a little better, but its sandbox component was weak. If the Evochron dev doesn't feel like he can do better than those games then I'd rather he just let it be.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 20, 2016, 15:11 Orogogus

Yes, but they have 6 months to appeal, and they can also still file in other territories.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 20, 2016, 13:26 Orogogus

That's not right. Microsoft totally has a trademark on Windows, in several computer-related fields. Kimberly-Clark has a trademark on Windows in respect to soap and sanitary paper dispensers. Dell can't just sell a new line of laptops and call them "Apples", because that trademark is taken as far as computers go. Anyone can go to the USPTO TESS database and find these trademarks. Or you can go their owners' sites: Microsoft - it says Windows, and not Microsoft Windows.

As the article says, Sony might not be able to trademark Let's Play because this term is already common terminology in the industry. Apple wouldn't be able to trademark "Apple" if they were selling fruit instead of computers. Toyota can't trademark "car" or "steering wheel." But they might be able to get away with "Apple," if they were so inclined.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Progress Report
21. Re: BATTLETECH Progress Report Dec 23, 2015, 17:17 Orogogus

Bleeder wrote on Dec 23, 2015, 16:14:
Peter M. Smith wrote on Dec 23, 2015, 16:03:
These are new artwork. The design of the BattleMaster and the Warhammer are based on artwork that was created this year.

Thanks, I stand corrected. I think I know what I was thinking of now.. FASA released a box set of schematics years ago.

Ah, I stand corrected as well. Now that I look closely, the Battlemaster has those shoulder ridges and the Warhammer has the horizontal missile pack. I was thrown by the fact that these 3 all had blueprints released in the past.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Progress Report
7. Re: BATTLETECH Progress Report Dec 23, 2015, 12:35 Orogogus

Those blueprints are really, really old, from the early '90s before FASA got into the legal wrangling with Harmony Gold. One of them's for the Mad Cat, which they've marked as not being in the game.  

News Comments > Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Next Month
16. Re: Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Next Month Dec 16, 2015, 20:07 Orogogus

Wenzil wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 19:12:
Well, at least there is a single-player campaign. It says there are 13 missions. So many other RTS titles these days seem to skip the SP campaign.

Really? Is that including MOBAs? Other than those I thought RTS games were still usually SP heavy. I know StarCraft 2 had a campaign, at least.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 7, 2015, 12:57 Orogogus

Verno wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 10:56:
Yeah you're right, its even less useful. I can't place the name but they basically had a brief meeting with the Postmaster general who said that he was going to put them out of business.

That was Outbox.

News Comments > System Shock Remake Screenshots
2. Re: System Shock Remake Screenshots Nov 26, 2015, 13:25 Orogogus

The second one is reasonably playable off of Steam or GOG. It came out a lot later and it has fanmade texture packs. The first one is from the age of 320x200, although it did get upgraded resolutions, and the controls are a bear. And the voice acting is dire.

Also, I like the first game a lot better. I tend to think much of the nostalgia for the second is just because a lot of people started playing games later and that's where they got in.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
13. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Nov 4, 2015, 13:06 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 02:47:
Task wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 22:02:
LoL, I doubt they will allow that. You could always load up skunkwerks or megamek's mech creator to do that.

Why would they not allow that? Are they going to be limiting customization?

It would make sense for them to limit customization to some extent. Customization has been in the rulebooks from the beginning, so BattleTech and the Mechwarrior games have always had a problem with its 'Mechs being interchangeable gunbags without any individual character beyond the art.

Task wrote:
Well 24 MG's in BT is 2 Damage so that's x 24 (48 Damage) to one random location.

I don't think there's any reason to expect this game will let you put all those shots in one location, or even hit with all 24 guns. The downside of a massed MG build is that if you lose initiative it's easy for your opponent to render all your guns useless, and even you win initiative they know to force your to-hit up so that most of your shots miss. It doesn't work well in practice.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
31. Re: Morning Screenshots Nov 3, 2015, 21:07 Orogogus

ItBurn wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 18:37:
Hmmm, no. I'd rather play shooters with a real life fake gun and having to aim with my hands. If they find something that's easier to use than a mouse, then I want to use that. The problem with gamepads is that it's a pain to aim. It's harder than real life and harder than with other technologies that already exist. It's not about me being resistant to change...

I'm not sure I understand your response. You'd use (for example) a retina-tracking interface if it was faster and more accurate, or you'd rather use something hands-on? Gamepads probably might be worse than real life, but mice are probably better. It's not impossible to imagine there will be something better still, and that people will find reasons to complain about them not being real skill, even though mice are already easier than the real thing.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
28. Re: Morning Screenshots Nov 3, 2015, 18:32 Orogogus

ItBurn wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 15:11:
Well, I refuse to play shooters with a gamepad, so I guess it's game breaking for me, but I realize I'm a minority :p. I can't understand why people accept aiming with a gamepad. It's painful, the mouse is so much better.

I think this conversation comes and goes every several months, but I think part of it is that aiming more easily isn't necessarily better.

At some point it's probably easier to aim a mouse cursor than it is to aim a real gun, is that a problem? For some games it might be. A developer can put in droppage and wind and recoil and breathing sway and so on, but at the end of the day a mouse is probably still giving you much better aim than you would have in real life. It's probably the best aiming device with current technology.

In forty years are you going to be waving your fist at gamers with retina-tracking controls or neural interfaces, bitching about the good old days when games required real skill? It's probably the same thing.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Hits PvP Stretch Goal
32. Re: BATTLETECH Hits PvP Stretch Goal Nov 3, 2015, 04:45 Orogogus

InBlack wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 02:50:
It's a valid concern because so many companies go for the cash grab (Wargaming, Piranha, RSI etc.) instead of building the game people want,

"People" being a fairly specific subset, I infer. If no one wanted the multiplayer games these companies were making, there wouldn't be any cash to grab. In RSI's case I see lots of people already planning adventures in their multi-crew ships and building fleets with people on their message boards.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 2, 2015, 16:32 Orogogus

ZeroPike1 wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 13:06:
And in this market you can get bare-bones hardware off newegg and make your own office PC's for cheaper.

Does any company that's not a startup really do this? I've never seen it work well. A PC breaks and instead of simply shipping the whole thing off you have to do your own hardware troubleshooting. Eventually the guy who set everything up leaves and then there's no continuity of IT support.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Hits PvP Stretch Goal
16. Re: BATTLETECH Hits PvP Stretch Goal Nov 2, 2015, 12:59 Orogogus

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 12:53:
Huh? Why would coop not be fun in a turn-based game? If you have a huge map you could have different starting positions and it could turn out quite interesting first to find a way to join forces properly and then to find the enemy.

Or if you'd share a base on a huge map then split up the recon and defense work in a tactical manner while trying to find the enemy.

All of this would get even more interesting if some objectives would be turn-/time-limited like in the Panzer General games where you had e.g. 20 turns/days to drive the Russians out of St. Petersburg or whatever.

I can easily think of lots of ways how to make coop a very fun experience in a tactical turn-based game like this.

Also, even if it's a slightly different genre but check out Divinity Original Sin EE for fun turn-based coop play. Why would a game with units/mechs instead of RPG characters be less fun?

It would be relatively easy to design it so it becomes tons of fun. It's just a matter of doing it or not doing it. But is it viable? Fuck yes, Sir!

I feel it's not fun because you're just sitting there during the other player's turn, and maybe you get to watch. There's no time limit; you can easily do everything yourself. You talk about splitting up the recon and defense work; what's to stop a single player from doing both? Divinity is a great example; why would I not rather be controlling both characters?

1285 Comments. 65 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo