Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1612 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 26, 2017, 13:04 Orogogus

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 06:29:
Orogogus wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 06:06:
NKD wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 04:12:
In the US it's adviseable that any adult male not interact with, or even look at, anyone they suspect could be under the age of 18. Don't get a job where you have to interact with children or teenagers, either.

Guys who work around children are basically assumed to be sex offenders because of the bullshit "stranger danger" nonsense that gets drilled into peoples heads.

Some teacher gets falsely accused of some bullshit because a student doesn't like that they got failed in the class. But meanwhile the only person molesting the student is some shitty family member.

It's funny, the "stranger danger" thing actually kind of became true in a fucked up way. Adult males have to be afraid of being around a child they don't recognize, rather than the other way around.

Real classy raising that argument in a case where there's a ton of evidence on a guy who keeps getting caught out on online sex.

Posting on a tangental topic is hardly "raising an argument", maybe some reading comprehension would help.

It's the same topic, we're talking about people who have been accused of sexual offenses against minors. But you might be that fucking guy if you talk about how blue lives matters the same day that the police shoot another black man, or about how so many rape stories are made up when the topic of discussions is an open-and-shut-case like Brock Turner.

The case in question, Weiner, is open-and-shut. It doesn't rest on the accuser's testimony -- they have his phone (not for the first time), and the guy is admitting he has a problem. What a god-damned appropriate platform for railing about how the system is biased against the accused.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 26, 2017, 06:06 Orogogus

NKD wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 04:12:
In the US it's adviseable that any adult male not interact with, or even look at, anyone they suspect could be under the age of 18. Don't get a job where you have to interact with children or teenagers, either.

Guys who work around children are basically assumed to be sex offenders because of the bullshit "stranger danger" nonsense that gets drilled into peoples heads.

Some teacher gets falsely accused of some bullshit because a student doesn't like that they got failed in the class. But meanwhile the only person molesting the student is some shitty family member.

It's funny, the "stranger danger" thing actually kind of became true in a fucked up way. Adult males have to be afraid of being around a child they don't recognize, rather than the other way around.

Real classy raising that argument in a case where there's a ton of evidence on a guy who keeps getting caught out on online sex.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
3. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Sep 25, 2017, 13:05 Orogogus

Is DOS2 available in stores? I don't see it on Gamestop's website, and I get the distinct impression that the GFK charts don't include sales through Steam (partly because PUBG's never been on them).  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2017, 06:20 Orogogus

Twins aren't genetically identical -- a certain amount of variation is introduced throughout development -- and there's more to your makeup than just genetics. Like, specifically in the case of memory, there's no reason to expect a twin's brain to have formed the same neural pathways. Unless Star Trek transporters really use the genetic code and nothing else, this seems like arguing that it's impossible to copy a floppy disc since all discs start out the same.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Review Fallout
32. Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 18:55 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 18:08:
I can't argue about Walmart since I never go there, but Amazon often removes bullshit reviews that have nothing to do with the product in question, or are just bitching about something that is unrelated to the actual operation of the product in question. Product owners can fairly easily get Amazon to look at reviews they think is unfair, and if Amazon's rep agrees, the reviewer (I believe) gets contacted to see if they wish to amend their review, and otherwise said review gets deleted.

I don't know about review bombs, but a search for Amazon joke reviews on Google turns up a Cracked article dated 2010, and the first three products from that article that I checked still have the joke reviews up. And a search for fake Amazon reviews shows two sites dedicated to identifying botted reviews. It doesn't seem like their system is working that well.

Prez wrote:
It's pretty harmless; and definitely seems better to me than aligning yourself with dubious groups like Gamersgate or getting involved with a toothless class action lawsuit that invariably goes nowhere.

It seems to me that dubious groups are the ones that often organize review bombs when there's a political slant, like that Baldur's Gate thing with the trans character.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Review Fallout
26. Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 15:42 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 15:10:
I'm just pointing out that Valve took the path of the absolute least amount of work done by them while pretending they made all these glorious changes.

I feel like you harp on this a lot, but the absolute least amount of work would be what everyone else is doing. Steam's terrible until you use anything else. Steam reviews have filters for date, language and other criteria, and there's a counter-comment system. GOG is probably the next most developed storefront, and their most advanced features are an average star rating and a helpfulness rating. The Oculus store is about the same (although it was a lot worse when it launched), and itch.io is worse. Origin and other first parties aren't going to have reviews at all.

For this specific feature, it seems to me that there's already more than the bare minimum. You can click on the bars to see the reviews, and even drag-select a range.

The talk of what they should be doing seems like pie in the sky stuff that no one, in or out of the video game industry is doing. What are storefronts like Amazon or Wal-Mart doing to protect review integrity that's not being done here? Well, they have report buttons, but I kind of doubt that will solve anything since Steam customers won't agree on what should be removed.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
20. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 20, 2017, 12:06 Orogogus

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 09:26:
"People of 4chan" is the internet. Think on it this way, 4chan is one of the heaviest trafficked sites in the world. 4chan considers as part of their manifesto to be "a website anyone can use." By granting 4chan use, he's effectively given the internet and everyone the right to use it. Since there's no way to define "who" uses 4chan except anyone with an internet connection that leaves it open to anybody.

As Beamer notes -- I did say on 4chan, because that's the implication in the text I quoted. But 1) that in no way implies that he put it in the public domain, giving up all his rights to the material and 2) you can revoke permissions. If you couldn't then licensing agreements would be eternal.

He did actually abandon his copyright. See the existing case of pillsbury vs milkyway if you need an in-depth example of how an entity who doesn't defend their copyright and it "gains a life of it's own" can't retroactively try to claim copyright on it.

I'm looking at the Wikipedia page and I see a case talking about parody fair use protection, which doesn't seem like what you're talking about here. 1) That copyright was in full force but the court deemed it a valid application of fair use; 2) you lose trademarks, not copyrights, by abandoning them, like I said earlier; 3) the Pillsbury Doughboy was in no way abandoned, then or now.

17. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 20, 2017, 08:35 Orogogus

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 06:53:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 19, 2017, 13:11:

This is exactly why I was asking. I looked around a bit, but don't see anything about him putting Pepe in the public domain, so I had no idea what he was talking about. As far as I can tell, that never happened.
Read the article I linked. He placed it into the public domain himself, abandoned the copyright himself, and has never defended the trademark.

As far as I can tell:

1. He gave 4chan permission to use the frog as their mascot. I think these are the relevant quotes:

>Thoughts on Pepe becoming the mascot for 4chan?

Pepe offers you complete support, attention, and embraces how capable you are of birthing your own Pepe. As your God, my hope is to enhance your Pepe birthing experience by empowering you through it. Obey Pepe. Obey Me. Bow down to your leader. Worship me. Give me genital love or non-genital love. Both are wonderful.

>But 4chan went crazy for Pepe, yes?

I believe that the most important thing I can do as an artist is to protect the voices of anonymous people on the Internet and help ensure that that those voices are honored. It is my job to help 4chan have the experience that they want without judgment or criticism. In the end, I want 4chan to feel they were supported by being heard, respected, and part of the decision-making process. Instead of promoting my own agenda, it is my goal to promote 4chan. Different things work for different people. Let me support you in the way you choose to draw Pepe.

>What about people profiting off of Pepe?

I believe in supporting people’s decisions to profit off of Pepe in order to provide them with the most positive business experience possible. I strive to be an advocate for Pepe in both love and enterprise and hope to help business people to have an empowering and joyful experience while making an ocean of profits as limitless as the universe.

>Pepe is now immortal on the internet.

Having Pepe is one of the most life-changing experiences I will ever have. While many may fear the frog, there is no need for anxiety, especially when you feel confident and supported by the 4chan community—this is something my body was created to do, and I did it!

I don't see anything in there where he put it in the public domain. Part of copyright is that you can give permission for other people to use it. That doesn't mean you give it up. It seems to me that he gave permission for people on 4chan to use his design, for posting on 4chan.

2. Again, he hasn't abandoned his copyright. He never said he gave up all his rights to his creation or ceded it into the public domain, which is what it would take. With the most generous reading in the world, you can willfully ignore the context of 4chan in the profit question and read that he gave permission for anyone to profit off his work, but that still doesn't cancel out his rights of ownership.

3. It seems like he does have an abandoned trademark (link) but you can see that it's for the actual name, "Pepe the Frog" (hence the description of the typeset). That generally would have protected against Disney or the like making a character called "Pepe the Frog" and doesn't relate to the artwork.

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 19, 2017, 12:54 Orogogus

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 19, 2017, 11:42:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 19, 2017, 11:37:
What do you mean, "places it into the public domain"? Apparently not if the copyright has been enforced.
Copyright is automatic after the 1976 BERN convention. If you create a work you have copyright, but you can waive or in his case -- place it into the public domain. That leaves him with nothing.

I don't see anything that suggests that the creator put Pepe the Frog in the public domain, which isn't a thing that happens automatically until 75-120 years after the creator dies.

And you don't seem to be using copyright and trademark correctly. The frog is a copyrighted work. You don't lose a copyright by not defending it, and you can selectively sue whomever you want to sue.

A trademark is a brand name or logo. You have to register trademarks with the government to get the force of law on your side, and then you do have to use and defend it or it's gone. But what you're defending against is people using Legos as a generic term for building blocks, Q-Tips for cotton swabs, and so on. Trademark - a mark of trade, i.e., a brand; the courts let those lapse because once everyone is calling a vacuum flask a thermos they're not going to let the former owner take a million people to court.

I think you're really wrong on this, but if there's something that shows that this frog is in the public domain, or that you lose copyrighted works of art by not defending them, post it here.

Plus, you've got Cutter on your side, so that's not a good sign.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
18. Re: etc. Sep 18, 2017, 14:40 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2017, 14:09:
Edit : To clarify, obviously investigating what they did is part of securing the systems to they can't be misused again, but we need to stop with all this "WE NEED TO FIND OUT SO WE CAN SANCTION THEM!" handwringing.

The vulnerabilities of all our shitty voting machines were long known before the election, and our wonderful government chose to put its head in the sand, because fixing the voting systems didn't immediately lead to checks from Comcast et al.

I don't think there's a major claim that Russia interfered in this election by hacking voting machines. There's evidence that they tried to phish their way into one or more vendors, but not that they were able to hack votes, tamper with registration lists or collect voter information. Concerns about the inadequacy of voting systems currently have more to do with malfeasance by local officials.

The primary accusation is that Russia meddled in the election by working directly with people in Trump's campaign, providing them with information and money, possibly in return for political leverage, resulting in a White House that will knowingly or unknowingly put Russian interests ahead of American ones.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
17. Re: etc. Sep 18, 2017, 14:21 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2017, 14:09:
Flatline wrote on Sep 18, 2017, 11:57:
So.... your suggestion is to just lay back, close your eyes, and think of Ukraine?

No, I would suggest we stop spending all this money on investigating what Russia did and didn't do, and instead spend it on making sure they can't do it to us AGAIN in 2018 and 2020.

But that would make way too much sense.

If what they did was work directly with the Trump campaign, it seems to me that rooting that out ties directly into making sure they don't do it again. The same people would be under investigation, and taking them out of play would help prevent a repeat. Unless you're talking very specifically about the DNC hack, it's not clear what kind of action you could take against future meddling without delving into the current situation. Imposing round the clock government surveillance of the campaigns seems like it would be horrifically problematic.

News Comments > Op Ed
50. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2017, 16:19 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Sep 17, 2017, 15:23:
I'm clearly exaggerating to make a point, but the bigger picture is that his money comes from corporations, and this isn't how they want to be portrayed.

The corporations stuck by Elvis and South Park, I don't think they'll abandon Pewdiepie when the casual racism arguments are still going back and forth, especially in a day and age when double digit percentages of voters will support the President of the United States when he says there are fine people among white supremacist groups.

And, to your point, once Hollywood stopped having their protagonists smoke, smoking amongst teens declined. Hmm. Funny that. Almost as if they're the most impressionable group...

Smoking declined among everyone in the US alongside a decades-long campaign to educate people about the dangers of smoking to children, the unborn, casual smokers and people inhaling secondhand smoke, expensive lawsuits against an industry that had been covering up damaging research, legislation to limit access and restrictions on marketing. It's been an adult conversation.

On the other hand I think "Just say no" and abstinence-only are somewhat condescending campaigns aimed squarely at teenagers, with much more mixed results. I feel like this campaign in particular will have trouble getting traction when racism hasn't been settled among the adult population. I don't think decades of feel-good messages of harmony from Hollywood have outweighed parents who look down on people based on race.

News Comments > Op Ed
46. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2017, 02:04 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Sep 16, 2017, 17:13:
I like how people who don't know who he is have opinions.

"I don't know who this Ronald McDonald guy is, but a casual Google says he's a clown. If a clown says a bad word why care?"

With all your expertise, it seems to me that you're treating teenagers as if they were watching Sesame Street and Dora the Explorer, and applying the same accusations of indecent, immoral material corrupting the youth that have been thrown against D&D, drugs, and dozens of musical genres and TV shows. Playing the "won't someone please think of the children" card seems likely to make any problem worse in the teenage demographic as they push back against olds trying to teach them to look up to proper role models like Captain Kangaroo. Do you think there would be fewer drugs in play if there had been a more concerted effort to demonize and hound Cheech & Chong, their venues and their sponsors, for the sake of the children?

It seems to me that it would be more productive to have adult conversations about casual racism and then hope that those values carry through. Are social mores like these are transmitted vertically from parents and older authority figures, or is it a generational thing and everything was better in your day and it's today's youths that suck?

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Sep 15, 2017, 20:03 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Sep 15, 2017, 19:39:
The guy makes $16M per yer. From advertisers. Who want to reach children. Of course this gets him in trouble. If Captain Kangaroo or Barney or Elmo said this on air, it'd be a similar thing.

I was under the impression his schtick involved a lot of swearing. Wikipedia says that only 11% of his audience is younger than 18, although the accuracy is suspect since you gate yourself out of a bunch of sites if you let them know you're a minor. Still, heavy profanity implies more of a Rick and Morty or South Park audience than Barney and Elmo.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 16:01 Orogogus

DrSquick wrote on Sep 15, 2017, 15:53:
Do you know of any affordable color lasers? I switched to a color monochrome many years ago and have probably used two toner cartridges in ten years. But some folks in my family still like to print pictures locally instead of using a service.

Hehe, color monochrome.

A color laser printer from Brother is $160 on Amazon, and if you hang around on Slickdeals or a similar site, deals pop up now and then for $85-100.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 11, 2017, 12:47 Orogogus

Even then, you can put quotes around the URL to force it to go to search. A few more keystrokes in an edge use case. I can't remember the last time it parsed something contrary to the way I wanted.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 11, 2017, 06:58 Orogogus

I'm as baffled as headshot. The bar is where you enter text. ALT+D to jump to the bar and type whatever, just one shortcut to memorize. You guys actually find it confusing to put search terms and URLs in the same place? Why?  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
29. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 11, 2017, 02:16 Orogogus

I don't know what you want anyone to address. America has interfered in other countries' political processes before -- true. Sometimes in the name of fighting communism, sometimes in the service of corporate interests. It doesn't seem like it does us much good and I don't think we should do it. I don't think that means we should roll over and let Russia meddle with our elections, either.

The point here is that a ton of circumstantial evidence suggests that a good deal of Russian meddling took the form of working directly with the Trump campaign and giving them money. Trump Jr eagerly meeting with Russian officials who promised to give him dirt on Hillary. Flynn asking for immunity and pleading the Fifth. Trump promising to release his tax returns after the election and then reneging -- the only thing in there anyone would care about is a gigantic infusion of money from Russia. Staff members forgetting to disclose their ties or visits to Russia. Russian metadata and error messages in the leaked DNC documents that Trump capitalized on so quickly in the campaign. Trump basically saying the US isn't so great when reminded that the Russian government is run by murdering scumbags.

I think if Trump and his campaign weren't working with Russia then they're the victims of an extraordinary string of unlucky coincidences and selectively poor decision-making.

On the other hand, as far as I can tell the opinion of many red voters is that if Russia helped defeat Clinton then they're our friends, so there's that. I think that's foolish, insofar as Russia in no way, shape or form means the US or its citizens well. But oh well, as long as you toe the white evangelical line and have someone running a sideshow with utterly absurd trash about the opposition then apparently that's enough to carry an election.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
12. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 9, 2017, 20:05 Orogogus

What circumstantial evidence is there? Flynn asked for immunity and pleaded the Fifth rather than testify about his involvement, because that's what you do when you're innocent. Putin said that the Russians meddled the election, but it was probably private individuals. Russian metadata and error messages in the leaked files.

For example, a judge showed up dead on the beach near the courthouse in FL.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article167403992.html

One evening in May, federal prosecutor Beranton J. Whisenant Jr. confronted his wife, Ebony, about ending their marriage, then left their Miramar home in his gray Lexus sedan.

Around midnight, she reached him by cellphone and he told her that he was going to Hollywood beach by the Diplomat Hotel. They talked again about their relationship, with Whisenant saying he “had given up, but it didn’t matter anymore.” Later, he sent her some “unsettling text messages” and said goodbye.

Distraught, Ebony Whisenant drove to the Diplomat, searching the hotel parking lot. She found his car but not him. Within hours, a passersby would find her husband’s body in the surf, with a single gunshot wound to his head.

Noticeably missing: Any connection to Clinton whatsoever. But! He died in the same district where the DNC chairperson served. Dots connected, Clinton murder squad proven.

Sometimes I think, how stupid would I have to be to brush aside the substantial body of circumstantial evidence vis-a-vis Russian interference in the 2016 election? Apparently it's connected to how easily I can believe in god-damned murder squads and basement pedophile rings. Apparently I'd have to believe that the DNC could fake 6 million god-damned votes to pretend they won the popular vote. And holy shit, it's really hard to imagine being that stupid.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 13:22 Orogogus

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 13:18:
krist2 wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 12:25:
It's a good thing climate change isn't a thing...

Are you fucking serious?

It's tricky on the Internet, but in context -- in direct response to a newspost about Hurricane Irma on the heels of Harvey -- he's clearly being sarcastic. A guy who doesn't believe in climate change would say something like that in response to a dissertation or a statement by scientists, not when there's an actual hurricane bearing down.

1612 Comments. 81 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo