Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1591 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Galaxy of Pen & Paper Announced
8. Re: Galaxy of Pen & Paper Announced Jan 19, 2017, 19:13 Orogogus

Cutter constantly bitches about prices in CDN, and people constantly assume he's talking about USD and he invariably tells them off for it.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 14:19 Orogogus

Slick wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 14:06:
- Adding insult to injury they're offering free NES and SNES games monthly to people who subscribe...but they vanish the next month. Only Nintendo could be this stingy with 20-30 year old games.

SO YOU'RE MAD AT FREE STUFF BECAUSE IT ISN'T THE TYPE OF FREE THAT YOU WANT.

Holy crap, Slick, go suck on an egg. Expiring NES/SNES games is absurd.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2017, 16:02 Orogogus

buy / by  

News Comments > Conan Exiles Trailer
11. Re: Conan Exiles Trailer Jan 6, 2017, 14:51 Orogogus

• Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 14:37:
    Cutter wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 13:30:
    Don't go look at the front page of their website or anything....

PLAY TOGETHER OR ALONE

Play alone locally,

learn how to read

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 13:04:
    Well it depends on what type of server or friends you have. For me I'll run my own (assuming it has a dedicated server option)with only those invited.

Doesn't the next sentence he quoted say, "Host your own server and invite others to join you in a world where you have full control of the rules and settings"?

News Comments > VR Rifle and Haptic Vest Revealed
    7. Re: VR Rifle and Haptic Vest Revealed Jan 5, 2017, 14:21 Orogogus

I don't think the Vive and Rift accessories will be compatible. The Vive operates off of the gear having sensors to detect lasers from the lighthouses, while the Rift has emitters on the gear to be detected by the sensors. I think they'd have to release a different product for each system.

Regarding shooting games, I find Space Pirate Trainer a lot of fun. As you said, the shooting and dodging is really good. But my aim is dire.

News Comments > VR Rifle and Haptic Vest Revealed
    5. Re: VR Rifle and Haptic Vest Revealed Jan 5, 2017, 12:59 Orogogus

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 11:12:
    One thing I wonder is: how long before someone walks by a window at a house / apt and sees someone pointing this around in their home and then freaks out and calls the cops.

Probably quite a while? I think people with VR headsets try not to put them next to unobstructed windows. The lenses on the Vive and Rift are sensitive to sunlight, and it's just asking to be burglarized.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
    12. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 2, 2017, 04:41 Orogogus

jamiedj99 wrote on Jan 2, 2017, 00:25:
    the accpetable margin for products failing is like 3-4% the battery epxloding was like .1% so no it was not a real issue

There are levels of failure. 3-4% might be acceptable for minor defects out of the box. But every 25th or 30th product catching fire would be somewhat catastrophic.

61. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 30, 2016, 02:04 Orogogus

bigspender wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 17:33:
    This isn't the course which my friend went on, but it's was similar: http://www.auspen.org.au/events/auspen-advanced-clinical-nutrition-course-2016/
    Look at the sponsors: Nestle...... and a Pharma company specializing in chronically ill patients (why are the patients chronically ill, if the diet is so healthy?).

That's a clinical nutrition course, for feeding hospitalized patients. Note the focus points regarding acute phase response, albumin kinetics, and enteral/parenteral nutrition. That's not a course for telling people what to eat at home. And when I go to the US home page of that pharma company, Fresenius Kabi, they have several clinical nutrition products -- that is to say, IVs.

Can you find another one that's more representative of what you're talking about?

58. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2016, 13:08 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 03:23:
    Orogogus wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 02:21:
    I believe they don't have to do any encouraging, and if they did it would backfire almost immediately. How many times do they have to suggest to (real) doctors to encourage patients to eat more bacon before one of them outs it on the Internet?
    You may have heard of this doctor before that encouraged people to eat as much bacon as they liked: Doctor Robert Atkins.

He wasn't the voice of the medical establishment, at all. Your family practitioner isn't going to tell you to go on the Atkins diet; that's by and large something people bring up on their own. And I don't think you're going to find any evidence that he was motivated by payouts from the drug industry.

55. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2016, 02:21 Orogogus

bigspender wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 18:42:
    I'm not sure if you have ever seen that show called Doctors? But they are constantly telling people to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, they push ketogenic diets, paleo diets and other cholesterol heavy foods.(and shunning healthy staples like potatoes).
    Other celebrity doctors like Dr. Axe doing a similar thing.

I haven't seen it, but I don't think celebrity doctors count. People giving advice primarily through TV are probably entertainers first and medical practitioners second. They're shysters promising people what they want, \a way to lose weight without eating less and exercising more.

Like I mentioned, the conferences and training programs that doctors are sent to are funded by drug companies - why else would a drug company sponsor it if they weren't getting something back? EDIT: my local doctors office is full of pamphlets that look very similar to official dietary guidelines, except in the fine print they are industry created, and of course they tell you to eat more eggs, red meat etc These pamphlets wouldn't fool you or me, but the general public will take read them in waiting room and assume the information is correct, since it's at the doctors office.

Drug companies do have a history of getting cozy with doctors, I just don't believe that they're behind the dietary aspect. There are problems that would exist even without nefarious intent -- we can have firemen without them also being arsonists, we can have SAT prep classes without them secretly encouraging kids to text in shorthand so they'll be bad at formal writing.

Yes exactly, obesity itself causes problems, which is why there is a big incentive to encourage more people to be obese, and keep them that way. Obesity related diseases do not kill people quickly, so they will be able to keep taking the drugs for a long time. Drugs that treat (not cure) chronic diseases are where they make all of their money.

I believe they don't have to do any encouraging, and if they did it would backfire almost immediately. How many times do they have to suggest to (real) doctors to encourage patients to eat more bacon before one of them outs it on the Internet?

On the other hand I do believe the food industry is doing a ton of consumer-unfriendly lobbying and advertising. The sugar lobby was in the news recently for making a bogeyman out of cholesterol fat for decades so they could sell more soft drinks and sweets, shouting down research that disagreed with their goal of selling more product. The corn industry's lobbying for subsidies and use of HFC in everything is well documented. This kind of thing does make people fat, and they totally are in bed with government. Industry is just not subtle enough to go for a long game of getting people sick to sell more pharmaceuticals.

I work for a company that makes glucose meters and cholesterol tests, and while we would sell more products if there were more people at risk, I'm 99% certain that we don't belong to any organization that actually encourages people to get fat and we definitely aren't doing anything like that on our own. It's unnecessary and counterproductive.

I believe the drug establishment is in the same position. They don't have to do anything to get more fat customers, that will happen on its own. That's how society goes, and to a large extent it's how we, as animals, are wired; we're designed for scarcity and not for plenty.

52. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2016, 18:00 Orogogus

bigspender wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 16:48:
    The big money are these chronic diseases, they never go away as long as the patients keep following the doctors dietary advice. (And it's easy advice to follow, when the doctor tells you to eat more bacon)

I don't expect big pharma to be telling people that heart disease is completely optional, avoidable and reversible. That's the doctors job - but when the doctors (who are viewed as trusted sources) have been primed to pass on false information, then that is pretty awful.

So while Big Pharma isn't causing the diseases directly, it's certainly enabling other industries and companies to create the market for them.

It's not just the doctors either, it's the USDA and so on. They're all in bed together, and if it wasn't for organisations like PCRM.org putting in lawsuits against the USDA then we'd probably be eating pork with pre-injected statins and thinking that our genes are the cause of our chronic diseases.

I don't see a ton of evidence that the medical establishment has been primed to dispense bad dietary advice. I've never heard of doctors telling people to eat more bacon. Americans, and developed nations in general, lean towards self-destructive gluttony. It's a very, very hard thing to reverse, stop or slow down. Whenever and wherever there's widespread economic growth obesity and diabetes follow.

The health problems that come out of obesity happen pretty much by themselves, there's very little need or incentive for Big Pharma to try to make it any worse.

And if there were any kind of miracle pill or diet that cures these things that kill everyone, I'm sure we'd have seen it on our pets. There are people who would feed their cats or dogs anything, some of whom who can kill their own game or grow their own vegetables, if it would let them live 10 or 20 years longer. Instead, pets who eat good food and bad food all last about just as long (not counting the same problems with obesity and diabetes that people have). No one's cat or dog gets to be 50 or 60 years old no matter what they do or don't eat, and there's no magic treatment that cures their maladies.

News Comments > Vaporware Awards
    26. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 27, 2016, 16:09 Orogogus

Kxmode wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 15:52:
    Orogogus wrote:
    After that basic bit, you wrote, "that's precisely what a Ponzi scheme is." And Cutter called it a classic ponzi scheme.

Like I said, even if you believe they're just stringing people along with virtual ships with no intention of releasing an actual game, that would still just be a regular old con.

Okay, now you're getting into semantics. You do realize "that's precisely what a Ponzi scheme is" is a child of the parent thought "In its basic form". In other words, they are inclusive to one another, also known as context. That being said I do agree it has the characteristics of a con; specifically, a long con. I wrote a comment about that last year.

This was getting grindy over semantics and I was going to let it go, but eh, screw it, it's a slow work day and the Internet can handle it.

In no way does "In its basic form" imply that you mean "kind of similar to" or "sharing some of the characteristics of." No one would read "in its basic form" to modify or mitigate "precisely", the logical reading is that you're reducing Star Citizen to its fundamental components which are, whoa, textbook Ponzi scheme.

In its basic form, heat pump is precisely what a refrigerator is. In its basic form, the genetic code is precisely a language for data storage and transfer. But in its most basic form, there's no way in which Star Citizen is precisely a Ponzi scheme.

Literally a million times worse than Hitler.

24. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 27, 2016, 15:42 Orogogus

Kxmode wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 15:19:
    I specifically wrote "In its basic form" not "In its literal form." I am not advocating for or against the idea; I am only saying it has the characteristics of being a Ponzi without actually being one if that makes sense.

After that basic bit, you wrote, "that's precisely what a Ponzi scheme is." And Cutter called it a classic ponzi scheme.

Like I said, even if you believe they're just stringing people along with virtual ships with no intention of releasing an actual game, that would still just be a regular old con.

21. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 27, 2016, 15:12 Orogogus

Kxmode wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 14:49:
    Orogogus wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 14:06:
    Cutter wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 13:53:
    The whole model is about keeping the money flowing in without nothing to show for it except the illusion that things are really happening. The alpha's they keep releasing is the same shit for several years now. That's a classic ponzi scheme.

That's not what the term Ponzi scheme refers to :/. That would just be a regular con.

He's referring to the idea that new concept ship sales basically provide the funds to finish already pitched concept ships that people bought. In its basic form, that's precisely what a Ponzi scheme is. Just like Social Security in America is a legal Ponzi scheme. There's nothing inherently wrong with a Ponzi scheme as long as the money continues to flow. It's when the money stops... that's when there's a problem.

No. The thing with new concept ships is just how cash flow works, and is also not a Ponzi scheme. A Ponzi scheme would specifically be when you're using funds from new investors to pay off the old ones. I don't see any evidence that the new ships are being sold to or bought by new backers rather than the existing whales. Also, this isn't being pitched as an investment that's meant to grow your money.

I dunno, find a definition somewhere and explain how this fits.

13. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 27, 2016, 14:06 Orogogus

Cutter wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 13:53:
    The whole model is about keeping the money flowing in without nothing to show for it except the illusion that things are really happening. The alpha's they keep releasing is the same shit for several years now. That's a classic ponzi scheme.

That's not what the term Ponzi scheme refers to :/. That would just be a regular con.

News Comments > Christmas Eve Tech Bits
    4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 24, 2016, 13:02 Orogogus

These things are never such good news as rah-rah-PC sites want to make them out to be. F2P is over half of the PC revenue, and of that more money comes out of Asia than the rest of the world combined, twice over. Mobile beat PC, because Pokemon Go happened.  

News Comments > AU Fines Valve $3M
    21. Re: AU Fines Valve $3M Dec 23, 2016, 14:33 Orogogus

Everything came back up about half an hour ago.  

16. Re: AU Fines Valve $3M Dec 23, 2016, 13:45 Orogogus

Dev wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 13:40:
    Yeah steam is down hard, site, client, server status page, etc. Good ole valve, they ALWAYS ALWAYS have issues during a sale. You'd think they'd look at traffic growth patterns and plan for it. Wait, that's too boring, no one wants to wheel their desks over.
    This time though, instead of glitches the whole thing is gone. Must all be asleep in Christmas vacation, must be no one monitoring at the office, must be no one setup for alerting on phones when network problems happen, steam twitter has no posts for 24 hours.

Their sale-related network issues don't usually torpedo everything, and usually it happens right when it starts (which it did for a half hour or so yesterday), not on the second day.

13. Re: AU Fines Valve $3M Dec 23, 2016, 13:39 Orogogus

Dacote wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 13:15:
    BIGtrouble77 wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 12:31:
    So Australian Steam users don't have the same refund policy that we have in North America?
    HoSpanky wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 13:03:
    Ok, but how long are the refunds supposed to be allowed for? Did Australia not get the 2 hour/2 weeks thing that US has with Steam?
    It's not about the current refund policy, it's about the laws in Australia.

I don't think that's really the answer to what they're asking. It's kind of hard to tell, but the article implies the Australian government was looking at incidents from 2011-2014, and (not mentioned in the article) Steam's refund policy was instituted in mid-2015. So I think this fine applies to what they were doing up to that point.

I think what Valve got dinged on was not having a policy stating that users were absolutely entitled to a refund if they encountered a "major problem," and/or not giving such users refunds.

I have no reason to believe this summary of Australian consumer protection regulations isn't accurate: Link

News Comments > Op Ed
    41. Re: Op Ed Dec 16, 2016, 01:37 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 23:32:
    I remember Lode Runner just being running around picking up boxes while bad guys chased you...

Well, yes, the boxes being gold. And like I said, you could melt the bricks next to you, either to access blocked areas or trap the bad guys.

1591 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 13.
    < Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
    and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo