Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1745 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
28. Re: etc., etc. May 3, 2018, 03:00 Orogogus

In a less extreme light, I'm inclined to sort of agree with LurkerLito. While I don't believe that a pharmaceutical company would go out of its way to hide a cure, it's broadly true that pharmas aren't investing the money needed for new antibiotic development -- some of the closest things we have to actual cures -- because they wouldn't make their money back. Most people only take antibiotics for a few weeks, and the old antibiotics are still widely used until a patient is found to be harboring resistant bacteria. There really is a lot more money to be made chasing lifestyle conditions like diabetes, high cholesterol annd erectile disfunction. It's more a matter of where they're investing their R&D money than of some Snidely Whiplash CEO raising a toast to human misery.

And I don't know about the LASIK argument. My vision insurance has a $100/year allowance, which just about covers a pair of glasses or contacts (which I don't even bother to replace every year). Google says LASIK costs about $2,100 per eye, on average. So that's 42+ years of glasses and/or contacts all up front, which seems like a good deal for the provider.

That said, lots of things don't have cures because it's straight up hard and the technology just isn't there yet. If we had the genetic manipulation techniques to cure cancer instead of subjecting people to debilitating chemotherapy and radiation treatment, then we'd probably have a real-life Jurassic Park already, too, or at least eliminated a gamut of inherited conditions. We don't have nanomachines to zap cancer cells, either. Without that kind of technological breakthrough, the advanced stages of cancer probably just aren't something that can be defeated by drugs or anything else we have available.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2018, 15:05 Orogogus

opie wrote on May 1, 2018, 14:14:
RedEye9 wrote on May 1, 2018, 14:02:
Thanks GOP for denying Americans access to assisted suicide and affordable health care. Vote Democrat, it's easier than you think.

Democrat: We need access to assisted suicide!

Also Democrat: too many people are committing suicide with guns!

Points-scoring partisan soundbites aside, it seems obvious to me that people committing suicide with guns and those looking for assisted suicide methods are two different groups, and there could reasonably be different ethics at play.

For example, even people who love their pets are usually in favor of putting them down humanely when they're in a terminal state, instead of extending their last moments into excruciating pain, their bodies becoming nonfunctional with their minds mostly gone. But when you're talking about people then there's a different set of rules and what's unethical and uncompassionate for the animal becomes the right thing to do for the person.

News Comments > Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter
25. Re: Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter Apr 28, 2018, 01:54 Orogogus

MattyC wrote on Apr 28, 2018, 00:58:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 18:13:
MattyC wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 15:57:
VaranDragon wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 15:30:
MattyC wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 15:19:
Laugh2
As though Blizzard could make anything in time to cash in on a fad. W

You mean unlike they have ever done before since they basically came into existence?

Dune2 -> Warcraft
C&C -> Warcraft 2
Any MMO that came out before it -> World of Warcraft
Numerous Online card games -> Hearthstone
Numerous MOBAs -> HOTS

Yeah, basically the only original IP gameplay wise Blizzard have to their name is Diablo...

Because Westwood RTS games are identical in mechanics to Blizzard's and they what... used a time machine to make WarCraft 2 come out 2ish months (might even be less than that) after the game your saying it was a clone of?

I guess everyone should have stopped making shooters after Catacomb 3D? Everquest and Ultima Online were just trying to cash in on that sweet sweet Meridian 59 money?

Cash ins aren't where you start the fad, take it in a new direction, or just massively increase its exposure. If that is your point of view than basically every highly regarded game is nothing more than a cash grab and nothing has ever even been evolutionary, never mind revolutionary.

C'mon Matty, Blizzard has a long history of jumping late into a genre, polishing and streamlining it, and achieving massive commercial and critical success. It is known.

If you mean that they don't go out and start new genres I agree 100%. I wasn't objecting to that aspect.

If you mean that they just jump on cash grabs (which to me describes 0 effort, no improvement, just ya know.. get the cash) I have to disagree. I don't see crash grab and makes something better, more popular, or more polished as a lazy money gambit (yes, I know that *better* there is super subjective). I guess we just have to agree to disagree there.

You were the one who brought up "cash grabs." What everyone is objecting to is your apparent original assertion that Blizzard can't move quickly enough to take advantage of a currently popular genre. Are you saying that they can't act swiftly enough to make a cheap knockoff before the fad has died out, but in the same timeframe they can make a polished, well-packaged game? That doesn't seem to make sense.

Also, I don't agree that "cash in" has the same connotation as "cash grab." Cashing in, to me, just means getting in while the getting's good, taking advantage of the current situation whether you're doing it well or half-assed.

News Comments > Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter
12. Re: Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter Apr 27, 2018, 15:26 Orogogus

MattyC wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 15:19:
Laugh2
As though Blizzard could make anything in time to cash in on a fad. Whatever this is, I imagine it will come out just in time for your great great grandchildren to play it in the assisted living facility game room.

I think they jumped in on the digital card game, MOBA and team shooter trends pretty late but managed to come out strong in each one.

News Comments > Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default
22. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 19:04 Orogogus

yonder wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 18:44:
Buggy as hell upon release. But they have "0.0 hours in the past two weeks" and so I let them know they're full of crap for absolutely LOVING a game and yet leaving a negative review without following-up.

I mean... I feel like I would go out of my way to ignore meta-reviewers like that, people with a mission. It's not the average gamer's job to reinstall games and check back on the status of major bugs. They played the game and checked out like normal people. Steam provides tools for buyers to see the history of reviews, look at recent reviews, sort by date, etc., so it's not like there's no way to find the correct information.

I don't think this particular change helps privacy or has any real upside for users, but on the other hand it also seems pretty insignificant on the whole. If there really are a lot of people who go around telling people leaving reviews that they're full of crap then I see ending this as a tiny benefit. Just check "not helpful" and move on.

News Comments > Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default
17. Re: Comments on Steam User Reviews Disabled by Default Apr 26, 2018, 13:48 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 13:39:
chickenboo wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 13:28:
I love/hate how the littlest change gets picked apart these days at the second the news drops. Valve could change the color of a tiny border around some insignificant Steam client feature, and there would be an uproar and a 500-thread reddit post where everything from the end-times being predicted, to the divine genius of Valve, is present.

I dunno, this seems like a pretty big change.

Really? It doesn't seem significant to me. I think it mainly affects small developers who reply to Steam reviews. As someone else said, I don't really need to read people disagreeing with someone's reviews; I would want to get that information from other people leaving their own reviews.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
9. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 26, 2018, 13:29 Orogogus

Saboth wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 06:33:
If you don't see the nightmare, then open your eyes. Scott Pruitt in the EPA, opening up offshore drilling, selling off federal (that's our land, btw) land to the highest bidder, destroying foreign alliances, destabilizing the healthcare markets, destabilizing the stock markets, exploding the deficit for no reason at all with irresponsible tax cuts, wasting billions on useless walls, deploying troops to attack refugees at the border, and basically just eroding our very democracy with his reality show bullshit and shifty antics like obstruction of justice, pardoning criminals and racists. It's going to take decades to fix this mess this incompetent buffoon is creating.

I think all those are more or less in line with conservative viewpoints. I don't agree with them, but I understand what the arguments are and see where they're coming from.

What I think shouldn't be acceptable even to conservatives is the way that appointees like Carson, Pruitt, Mnuchin, Shulkin, Zinke -- basically everyone, if you assume these are only the ones that were dumb enough to get caught -- are openly looting taxpayer money and taking bribes. This is the kind of misspending you see in developing countries, and apparently it's okay as long as it's your team that's doing it.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2018, 13:13 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 12:10:
Cutter wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 21:29:
KS wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 14:16:
I remember 20 years ago when they banned the export of horse meat.

Of course there is little difference between cats, dogs, horses, and cattle and sheep and goats. They're all larger mammals. As long as it's humane, who cares? If it's ok to eat one, it's ok to eat all, and the rest is just preferences mostly of how you were raised.

If you think all animals are the same than you clearly know nothing about animals. There's are myriad reasons why some animals are more expendable than others. However it would make more sense for us to eat fast breeding animals like rabbit, deer, and boar, the most.

Why are pigs more expendable?

They're smart. They're affectionate. Without the tens of thousands of years of being trained to be so.

I mean, they taste good, and I'm neither arguing we shouldn't eat them, nor we should eat dog, but Cutter seems to get irate when you imply pigs aren't just dumb food.

Well, he said boar, which is basically the same animal. He has a better argument this time than the last one about historical affinity between humans and animals that have been bred to work for us. By both arguments, we shouldn't be eating cows. They've been beasts of burden for tens of thousands of years, and they don't grow up fast, taking a lot of resources to put meat on the plate. Plus I guess the Hindus don't like it.

At any rate, I think dogs and cats grow up pretty fast, too, comparable to deer. But pigs really are amazing food animals; they eat almost anything and are huge in like 3 months.

News Comments > Hearthstone Game Director Leaves Blizzard
8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2018, 15:48 Orogogus

Kxmode wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 15:31:
I don't like that. It's happening at my job. They're pushing to reaching for the skies. I don't want any of that. What I want to do is pure web development. I enjoy that way more than managing people.

That depends on the company. Some companies have a separate management track for people who have an interest in and aptitude for that kind of thing. Other companies have an attitude that everyone should grow into a management role. In my experience, though, some companies only pay lip service to that second philosophy, and promotions are generally determined by management whim.

There's also a theory about rising to your level of incompetence -- the Peter principle, according to Google -- if you're good at your job then your company will keep promoting you until you're land at one that you're bad at. I think a lot of companies just don't take management and employee skills seriously, maybe because HR in general seems to attract spectacularly useless blobs of carbon.

News Comments > Valve Loses $3M AU Fine Appeal
24. Re: Valve Loses $3M AU Fine Appeal Apr 20, 2018, 17:30 Orogogus

Talisorn wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 17:01:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 11:01:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 10:47:
So all that means is that, for Australia, Valve will just raise prices to cover the fine which is probably less than a day's worth of net profit for them. They'll do that to cover both this fine and any subsequent fines as they have no intentions of changing their business practices.

I don't believe Valve sets regional prices except on their own games -- they provide suggested prices, but you can set them to whatever. It seems unlikely that they're going to mess with their 30% cut just because of an Australian fine.

And they already changed their business practices. My understanding is that the Australian fine was initiated before Valve implemented their current refund policy.

They don't set the price, but they do set the currency. Australia pays the same bricks and mortar prices on AAA games but is charged in $US ... and Valve are pocketing the difference. A lot of customers don't realise their being ripped off blind. I rarely buy games from Steam anymore for that reason.

If they don't set the price, then they're not setting the currency either. It seems like Valve already has a separate pricing category for Australia, so developers could theoretically make the Australian price lower if they wanted to:

Kotaku link from September

But that might be about to change. Multiple local developers confirmed with Kotaku that they are now able to set regional prices for Australia, whereas previously the option was unavailable. The Australian dollar is also listed in Valve's developer documentation for officially supported currencies, but isn't live yet in order to give time for developers to set regional pricing

It also doesn't seem to me that Valve would be pocketing the difference; the developer is pocketing the difference and Valve is getting 30%.

News Comments > Valve Loses $3M AU Fine Appeal
6. Re: Valve Loses $3M AU Fine Appeal Apr 20, 2018, 11:01 Orogogus

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 10:47:
So all that means is that, for Australia, Valve will just raise prices to cover the fine which is probably less than a day's worth of net profit for them. They'll do that to cover both this fine and any subsequent fines as they have no intentions of changing their business practices.

I don't believe Valve sets regional prices except on their own games -- they provide suggested prices, but you can set them to whatever. It seems unlikely that they're going to mess with their 30% cut just because of an Australian fine.

And they already changed their business practices. My understanding is that the Australian fine was initiated before Valve implemented their current refund policy.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 19, 2018, 16:24 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 15:46:
"We apply the same privacy protections everywhere, regardless of whether your agreement is with Facebook Inc or Facebook Ireland."

If true then that would mean they violate the GDPR intentionally in the EU. Because inside the EU they must adhere to much stricter privacy restrictions now. So this statement is either a lie, or admission of a crime.

The article says that they're promising to adhere to the stricter regulations for everyone, but at the same time they're also moving non-EU customers out of EU jurisdiction so that they can't be prosecuted if they don't. In theory they're not lying yet. And I guess it gives them some flexibility if another country implements conflicting privacy requirements.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer
10. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 13:39 Orogogus

KS wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 13:33:
If your leg is destroyed you may not have the stamina or speed to get back to your dropship in time, for example.

You're doing it wrong.

You lose the leg, and your mech has to hobble/jump like robots with one leg humans actually make do.

Animate that and forget about game design where "lost leg" = 50% speed and 50% stamina. That is from an era where actual loss of leg computation and mechanical action was impossible so must be crudely simulated via those numbers.

I could be wrong, but I don't think we've developed robots that can walk on two legs very convincingly yet. Every video game uses canned animations for walking and running, maybe with inverse kinematics to make it look good. If the MW5 guys could simulate hobbled 'Mechs or even just regular walking and running with in-game physics then they'd be making real 'Mechs and not video games.

8. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 13:33 Orogogus

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 13:17:
It's not just that, that can be done fine with events and triggers like you said.. The issue is things like weak points in armor will not be favored (simple programming), no torso twists to protect weak points (weighted averages on sides), no peak and shoot cover mechanics (most fps shooters have cover and flank that don't turn out the best but still passable). Same things like this will make the game much better and you can "difficulty" slider all these things with how fast they react.

They've watched millions of metric points on MWO and the tactics but I guarantee you from the game play videos showing everything just driving right at them.

Looks like a locust right right into him and then goes "oops" and turns around.. Can't program radial orbits for fighting? 10 minutes of gameplay back in december

In general I feel like most of those tactics would make the game less fun for the majority of players. They don't want to see their units focus fired to death in a single player game, or to face off against a line of poptarts. It's like saying how great it would be for the computer to use strategy and tactics in a FPS game, but there's usually 30 of the bad guys and one of you; if they were behaving intelligently you'd be dead.

They might have twist shielding, though. I think that's basically been in MW3 and MW4. Those other tactics, not so much.

6. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer Apr 18, 2018, 12:41 Orogogus

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 11:29:
While I think they'll get lots right.... I don't have any faith in PGI ability to program AI good enough.

People say this, but I feel like you generally a game like this doesn't need AI much more advanced than "run towards the player while shooting its guns" to carry a single player campaign. You're not going to have the AI pull feints or flanking maneuvers, things like that are done with event triggers.

Like, when I read the Wing Commander I strategy guide it laid out all these detailed flowcharts of how all the AI decides its maneuvers, but in practice it didn't really feel different from any shovelware shooter where everything's programmed to just fly at you and shoot.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2018, 14:04 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 13:50:
El Pit wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 12:17:
That video of NYC in 1911 - WOW! Great find! Very interesting and fascinating.
One of the striking things to me is how nearly everyone is wearing a hat, both men and women, even a lot of the kids. We haven't become a hatless society but nearly so in comparison to the video. I wonder if that is simply a fashion thing or something else or if there even is a clear reason it happened...

I read an NPR article several years ago that blamed it on people moving from public transit to cars, where there's a lot less headroom.

Article link

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
22. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 16, 2018, 21:56 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 21:41:
So the actual Nazi is not the actual Nazi.
You guys are ridiculous.

I think you knew that going in. You started off arguing with Timmeh and the others are about the same caliber. There aren't any surprises in this thread.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 19:31 Orogogus

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 15:24:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 14:50:
The malware thing seems like the sticking point to me.
Not to mention the scummy shitbird thing about stealing another persons work.
Like I said earlier, adults don't do it.

That's fine and all, but it doesn't seem like a useful analysis on why piracy rates actually go up or down, and what makes it easier or harder.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 14:50 Orogogus

Rigs wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 14:19:
These days it's almost as easy as STEAM to download and patch a cracked game. Sure, you have to do some manual work yourself and know where to look (not to mention know who puts out reliable, trojan-free releases on a continual basis) but it's really no different, in my mind, than modding a game.

The malware thing seems like the sticking point to me. Having to keep track of who's reliable and won't dump malware on your PC, and counting on them to continue supporting a game, sounds like a level more complicated than jumping on Steam and downloading whatever.

News Comments > Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Sells 1M
8. Re: Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Sells 1M Apr 12, 2018, 16:13 Orogogus

grudgebearer wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 16:05:
Warhammer Fantasy, as an IP, is not nearly as lucrative as 40k. GW is paranoid that any good 40k games take away sales from their over-priced miniature and rule-book racket.

It's pure insanity on their part, but they are greedy bastards that would literally burn the property to the ground before they'd risk losing 1% of their profit margin.

Is there any evidence for this? In theory they're risking 1% of their profit margin on Vermintide and Total War. Your argument is more like that they won't risk 35% or whatever of their profit margin. But there were 3 Dawn of War games, plus the Deathwing game, and a Battlefleet Gothic game. The fact that DoW3 and the other games don't seem to have done well seems like it's more on the developers than on interference from GW. Deathwing is the same kind of game as Vermintide, it looks to me that they just got luckier with Fatshark.

1745 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo