Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1319 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
17. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 20, 2016, 06:30 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 20, 2016, 00:36:
Orogogus wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 01:32:
From what I've seen, the Asian countries which do well in math don't go out of their way to make it relatable or fun. Parents from those countries who come to the US to raise their kids don't expect it either. Ultimately, The touchy-feely fun and relatable method is simply less effective than the do-well-so-you-don't-starve-or-die-in-the-slums school of thought.

You really wanna copy a school system with the highest youth suicide rates in the world?

That doesn't seem to bear out:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1414751/
https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 19, 2016, 01:32 Orogogus

From what I've seen, the Asian countries which do well in math don't go out of their way to make it relatable or fun. Parents from those countries who come to the US to raise their kids don't expect it either. Ultimately, The touchy-feely fun and relatable method is simply less effective than the do-well-so-you-don't-starve-or-die-in-the-slums school of thought.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 14, 2016, 21:26 Orogogus

The article says she used it for her job, in real estate.  

News Comments > Steam Review Changes to Fight Fraud
55. Re: Steam Review Changes to Fight Fraud Sep 14, 2016, 13:53 Orogogus

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 09:48:
Except that its nothing like what you are saying it is like. This is basically limiting the meta score to users who purchased their games THROUGH Steam. If you purchased your game through GOG for example, your review wont count. I don't see how this has anything to do with fake reviews, beacuse you still need to purchase and play the game just like anyone else except now it has to be done exclusively through Steam.

The new system doesn't do anything about fake reviews, because you're still allowed to post reviews. It only prevents your score from being counted, and I'm inclined to think they limit it to games bought directly from Steam because those are the only ones they can be sure aren't being given away free for the purpose of inflating scores.

re: 10 point scale

If you really wanted to let people know what you thought, then you'd write a damn review and people could read it and mark it as helpful if it's worthwhile. Putting in an 8 instead of a thumbs up is not doing anyone any favors.

32. Re: Steam Review Changes to Fight Fraud Sep 13, 2016, 15:41 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 15:27:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 13:20:
Would this be a function of the developer or valve? I think it's developer scope so it would be difficult to enforce since the developer could say that these range of algorithm keys are for steam but they could give them away.

Remember, most of these fake reviews are done to sell more titles, not to commit review terrorism onto other games

I think Valve gives you keys to give out to other people. Similarly, Valve gives keys to publishers for them to sell, which is how GMG gets their stuff. I would imagine Valve is behind every key generated? In which case it shouldn't be too hard for them to generate different sets of keys that denote what they are and for what purpose they were given to third parties.

Doesn't that not work if it's the publisher trying to game the system? Like, isn't it up to the publisher to arrange for keys for resellers? Once it's out of Valve's hands, it seems like it would be really hard for Valve to keep them under control.

26. Re: Steam Review Changes to Fight Fraud Sep 13, 2016, 14:04 Orogogus

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 13:17:
So can anyone explain to me how fake reviews are affecting fraud or vice versa?
I get stolen credit cards being used to buy Steam keys, but where does the review thing come in?

A developer could give away keys to people -- or pay them -- to inflate scores? Same thing as other online storefronts, you could end up with vendors who promise x positive votes from unique accounts for $y.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 6, 2016, 19:34 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 16:09:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 14:50:
Dagnamit wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 14:25:
The only way we see price reductions in VR tech is if there's a viable challenger on the mid/low end. A rift with room-scale tracking and motion controls will end up being about the same price as a VIVE, $800. Both Oculus and Valve/HTC have been on record that new gear won't be arriving until, at least late 2017 and probably 2018, and they really have no reason to reduce price until a 3rd competitor appears.

Valve and Oculus are competitors, so we have that, don't treat them as we one.

But greater yet, if it is true buyers are drying up... that is the A#1 reason to reduce price or get V2 out soon. It doesn't matter about competition if people aren't buying.

I know this is obvious stuff, but you made it sound like they can just sit there because of a lack of competition. If people aren't buying in a market that is suggested to boom, you are dead if you don't do anything. Dead.

Vive/Rift are a duopoly. Even without direct collusion, it's a very uncompetitive market. You only need to see that the 'Rift retail is twice the price of the dev kits to see how inflated the price is.

But yeah, with buyers drying up they'll need to drop their price. But they can't do it too fast, or they will take a hit from people who bought at full price. We'll probably see a big Black Friday sale to wipe out overstock, since that's a way of reducing the price temporarily without getting complaints. Then we'll probably see a permanent price drop in 2017.

100% is the standard retailer and middleman add-on cost (i.e., 50% markup) for most consumer products. There are exceptions like PCs, printers and game consoles, but when you say OMG 100% MARKUP COLLUSION I'm not really seeing it.

I also don't think it's going to take a low cost alternative to push prices down. Oculus and Valve/HTC are recouping their R&D costs with this release, and they knew that the first generation was going to be for early adopters. Costs will go down as the technology stabilizes and production ramps up, just like they did for sound cards and CD-ROM drives, although this is more of a niche product and probably won't see a comparably dramatic drop.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2016, 12:57 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 03:35:
At least there's some ethnic diversity in Irvine. Try going to Aliso Viejo: same creepy urbanism, but the men are all white and the women are all peroxide blondes.

I went to high school in Mission Viejo, and from what I remember Aliso Viejo had a significant proportion of Asians, about the same as Mission Viejo (although not nearly as much as Irvine, like whoa). Laguna Beach, next door, was noticeably whiter.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 30, 2016, 11:05 Orogogus

None of you guys actually click links to read the articles before commenting, do you?  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched
44. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched Aug 24, 2016, 16:38 Orogogus

Atomic wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 12:47:
Yet your reply elevates the conversation considerably?

This attack you've leveled against CJ is a clear case of a violation of forum rules, but nothing will be done, because nin.

(Not defending the content of CJ's post, I've just grown tired of the different set of rules on display here).

I don't think that's true. Not every forum moderates the same or interprets their rules identically, and Blues has always been more lenient than most other sites. To have posts deleted nin has to pretty much directly address CJ and call him names. If someone talks about nin and how bad and stupid his posts that's totally going to slide -- someone, I think Redmask?, does that, and those posts don't get deleted. People do it to Beamer, too, and Cutter.

And I hardly ever see new guys get their posts yanked unless they're robots or there's some particular rule in play, like not linking G2A. It's always guys who have been around for over a decade and still haven't figured out what gets the red.

News Comments > Zenimax vs Oculus Heats Up
5. Re: Zenimax vs Oculus Heats Up Aug 22, 2016, 19:36 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 18:52:
If there were no truth to it then Zenimax would be pretty daft to pull this. Imo it makes a lot of sense though when you look back at how quickly Palmer rushed in the arms of Facebook. I doubt Facebook was the only investor that put a bid in.

I mean, the "Scrolls" lawsuit was insane. There aren't many companies who would actually be giving up market base by peddling a false association with Skyrim, but Mojang is one of them.

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Testing Skipping PCs
11. Re: Titanfall 2 Testing Skipping PCs Aug 15, 2016, 21:25 Orogogus

Bill Borre wrote on Aug 15, 2016, 20:55:
Yeah, DangerDog, I thought that was a funny thing to put in the comment as well. Is the conclusion we draw is console gamers are too stupid to ferret out information?

I think the idea is that they're much less likely to go into the files with a hex editor or decompiler, or modify files to access disabled content.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2016, 14:30 Orogogus

The graphic novel I saw, featuring the two men in black, was a total piece of garbage in my opinion.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2016, 14:19 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 09:51:
I only just watched Serenity about a month ago, and holy shit, talk about a gutpunch at the end.

For a series where the heroes comically never got hurt, despite (for example) standing in the open while 30+ armed gunmen are shooting at them, Serenity is a fucking brutal sendoff. And seriously, (secret) You couldn't give Wash a better end than THAT???

I think people said that the reason there's a tonal shift between the movie and the TV series is because Fox put a bunch of demands and limitations on Whedon for TV, but eh... I liked the TV series a lot more than the movie. Everyone was angry and punchy, and I just didn't find it much fun.

News Comments > Marvel: Ultimate Alliance & Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 on Steam
7. Re: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance & Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 on Steam Jul 26, 2016, 14:33 Orogogus

nin wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 14:27:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 14:19:
I know Activision is a byword for being absurdly out of touch with pricing, but... $60 is their discounted bundle price for a pair of games that released 10 and 7 years ago? Seriously?

They did the same thing when they rereleased Deadpool...

I feel like 2 years is just about at the edge between reasonable and silly. 10 years, though... we're talking about a game that released on the PS2 and original Xbox.

News Comments > Marvel: Ultimate Alliance & Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 on Steam
5. Re: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance & Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 on Steam Jul 26, 2016, 14:19 Orogogus

I know Activision is a byword for being absurdly out of touch with pricing, but... $60 is their discounted bundle price for a pair of games that released 10 and 7 years ago? Seriously?  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
66. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 21, 2016, 04:33 Orogogus

Redmask wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 23:34:
The tweets were not photoshopped, there is no evidence to support that claim and in fact its quite the opposite if you look at her twitter history.

What does that mean? I don't see them in the Twitter history. As yuastnav said, these tweets don't show up on Google, unlike anything else that's been retweeted -- everything gets amplified by aggregators and sites made to follow Twitter. And the one on the right has supposedly been retweeted 785 times and favorited or liked 4,000 times, yet nothing. The evidence seems clear to me that Beamer's correct.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
53. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2016, 22:11 Orogogus

Quboid wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 21:06:
Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 20:48:
As per the proof. Leslie Jones has a blue check. Those photoshopped tweets do not.

Blue ticks aren't displayed all the time. On someone's profile, the tick is at the top but not on each tweet. She claims they're fake, but she has posted plenty of trash. It wouldn't surprise me either way.

The one on the left should have the check, shouldn't it?

And if the other one really had 785 and 4K whatevers, it would probably show up in a Google search. This seems to be the case when I try it with Bill Gates or Justin Bieber, at least. Simply deleting it wouldn't be so effective that it disappears.

News Comments > System Shock Remake Funded
31. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 12, 2016, 18:45 Orogogus

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 11:47:
Wesp5 wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 10:06:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 16:16:
I'm guessing that you haven't played Metroid or Castlevania either, so you probably don't know what that means.

Yeah, I didn't play Metroid or Castlevania either and wasn't aware SS and SS2 are part of a series with those. Still, bad level design isn't getting better only because other games made the same stupid mistakes!
Explaining it again isn't going to make you any less ignorant, so I'm not sure it's worth the time.

System Shock didn't really have the multiple elevators that SS2 did, though. You use the central elevator for nearly everything except a few bits involving groves and the last level or so.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 12, 2016, 14:52 Orogogus

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 14:11:
Because that's exactly what happened. What? You couldn't find that with a 20 second google search. Take a look at the news media, touting the key thing that she got funding was because she was female, read the VC magazines which said the same thing. Oh yeah, they touted her as the next female Steve Jobs and pushed very hard, and the money went from a trickle to a flood. Guess blind ignorance is lovely sometimes right?

Provide a link, then? A VC who says that the only reason they gave money was the woman thing?

Oh, and tainted blood transfusions? People went to prison for that at least here in Canada 8 years to be exact. But you also seem to be forgetting that there's a negligence difference in most of your examples. Don't forget either on the levels of fraud committed here, and the very between the lines reading that they knew that their product didn't work. I know, difficult thing to grasp right. Then again you guys in the US have far more problems with your drug industry and how it's regulated then other parts of the world.

We're talking about the US, Theranos is a US company. Europe, Canada and Japan do have better records of sending executives to prison. But in the US, Holmes could have personally faked data and she wouldn't go to prison. For one thing, no one's died, and medical procedures are such that it's highly unlikely anyone would have received a false diagnosis because of their tests. To go to prison, she would probably have to falsify data, clearly knowing that doing so would cause someone to die. It's an impossible level of proof. The cigarette companies are the closest analog you'll find, where executives clearly covered up their own research showing their products were unhealthy, and had tons of memos saying "destroy this after reading it." Energy companies have it going on as well, suppressing climate change research results when it's clear that doing so will result in environmental damage. If you want Holmes to go to prison, you better hope she gets caught sticking up a liquor store.

And the level of fraud you're talking about -- faking data and knowing that a product doesn't work -- isn't as uncommon as you seem to think. The 2012 FDA warning letter to Alere basically accuses them of doctoring the QC results on their cardiac tests because they knew they wouldn't pass otherwise. There are a ton of products on the market, cleared using unreproducible data. For low and medium risk conditions, the difference between a non-confirmatory screening test that "works" and "doesn't work" is a lot less binary and much more a sliding scale -- a test works often enough can be deemed to be sufficiently useful to go on the market, and a lot of companies will push that line.

1319 Comments. 66 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo