Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1615 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 02:02 Orogogus

1badmf wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 01:19:
but i'd have to kill myself to even run a six minute mile once, nevermind 26 straight times.

4 hours would be 9+ minute miles, wouldn't it? 6 minute miles all the way through would be more like two and a half hours. There are 60 minutes in an hour, not 40.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Co-op Trailer
9. Re: Far Cry 5 Co-op trailer Oct 30, 2017, 21:05 Orogogus

ItBurn wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 20:45:
I think you might have clicked on a wrong link or something. The video and video descriptions are clear: "Play the entire campaign in co-op with a Friend".

I think they mean, assuming you don't finish the whole game in co-op, if you're not the host then after you go back to your own game, you have to do the same missions over again. The blurb seems to back this up: "Only the hosting player will be able to... keep the progress you make in the world"

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Released; Menu Includes Countdown
35. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 29, 2017, 04:31 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 22:42:
I don't even blame you. It's just ridiculous that you have to play a gimped version because of your governments inane "WE NEVER DID THAT" horseshit.

As far as I know, Germany is one of the most vigorous prosecutors of Holocaust deniers; in no way do they pretend the Nazis never happened. I think the idea is that they don't want video games using the symbology cheaply, or in a way against the official viewpoint. It's the opposite of how we treat Confederate history in the US, leaving all these Confederate statues and memorials around ostensibly so that people can reflect on the mistakes of the past... or they can do the other thing with all the states' rights crap. I'm pretty sure that's the exact scenario that Germany was trying to avoid.

And in modern video games they would have a cow over people rallying around the swastika in multiplayer games.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2017, 13:09 Orogogus

Verno wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 11:40:
Wall Street always wins.

Mandatory arbitration is A-OK and the likes of Equifax, Wells Fargo can keep up the good work without fear of crippling lawsuits, because it's not like they're doing anything wrong.

Unless Trump vetoes the bill, which ahahaha, no.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 20, 2017, 16:43 Orogogus

It's Stardock's version that doesn't use the original races, out of respect for the original designers' intent to come back to them some day.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 20, 2017, 13:18 Orogogus

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 13:11:
*EDIT* "Oh yeah the original guys can't use any names/races from the orgiginal, because of our license! Our bad, dawgs!"

Huh? The original guys are totally using the names and races from the original games (except the actual name "Star Control," I think).

News Comments > Dead Space 2 Selling 4M "Wasn't Enough"
20. Re: Dead Space 2 Selling 4M Oct 18, 2017, 15:36 Orogogus

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 15:10:
Well, you still should have accounted for taxes and retailer cut, cost of goods and all that .

(snip)

Some of those things wouldn't be applicable to revenue -- in particular, cost of goods would be explicitly separated from revenue -- although things like retailer cut would be applicable since EA never sees that money.

I think DS2 probably did have a lot of discounted sales, though (EDIT: On PC, anyway). It was in at least one Humble Bundle, and it was on sale for $5 several times, including within about a year of release.

News Comments > Dead Space 2 Selling 4M "Wasn't Enough"
14. Re: Dead Space 2 Selling 4M Oct 18, 2017, 13:19 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 12:43:
Dead Space 2 would have made more money if they'd done DLC, microtransactions, in-game ads, and loot boxes.

No ads or loot boxes, but it did have DLC -- some extra suits and weapons, mostly, although it was all console-only and came free with the PC version. I think there was a map pack that didn't make it to PC.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2017, 00:29 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 22:24:
NKD wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 18:11:
Beamer wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 17:48:

Rant over.

I've done similar rants. It puzzles me how anyone other than the very wealthy can get behind what passes for right wing economics in this country.

I guess it's simply a matter of distracting people by pointing to the people below them on the economic ladder. If you tell some conservative making $50,000 a year that people making $20,000 a year are going to be getting benefits paid for by his taxes, he's going to get upset.

"I don't want my money going to people who didn't earn it!"

So he supports lowering taxes on the rich because he thinks "Well I sure don't want my money going to the poors, I can't blame them for not wanting to do it either." Of course he says this not realizing he is one of the poors to them, and his quality of life is largely possible due to the tax burden that the wealthy carry.

All Americans think they'll be rich someday. It's the same reason lots of Americans support killing the estate tax. They think they'll have more than $5M that they'll need to pass on to their kids.

I don't think that's as true as it used to be. I'm inclined to think NKD's analysis is more on point. People on the right tend to fixate on illegal aliens and social programs. That's what you see all over conservative websites and people's Facebook pages.

I think normal people rooting for the repeal of the estate tax is just the result of Trump and the conservatives lying about it all the time, selling it as something that directly benefits people with way less than $5M to bequeath.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2017, 00:19 Orogogus

1badmf wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 23:53:
you know, i try to be a bigger person and look past stereotypes, but holy fuck at the made-in-chinaness of that space station. you would think they wouldn't half-ass something weighing several tons that would inevitably fall on people's heads.

As the end of the article points out, basically the exact same thing happened to our first space station, Skylab. They hoped to send it into the ocean near South Africa but ended up hitting Australia instead. I think at the time they estimated the odds of hitting someone to be 1:150, which seems hilariously poor for accidental homicide.

News Comments > Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay?
48. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 16, 2017, 18:58 Orogogus

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 17:49:
I love reading the Blues comments on this game, then going over to youtube and reading the most upvoted comment there:

"Love it. Great transparency with the team and work. Thank you for taking the time to build an excellent game rather than rushing and releasing it unfinished.&#65279; 86 upvotes"

That's not the most upvoted comment. I don't know how YouTube sorts "Top Comments", but "6:14 here's the greatest line in CIG history" is at 366 net likes.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 13, 2017, 13:32 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 10:07:
Verno wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 09:38:
Microsoft spent all of last generation telling Valve and Sony to fuck off about cross-play so you reap what you sow.

I don't think they ever said it to Sony, but they did try to avoid doing it with the PC, and this makes sense.

I think the originally pitched version of Mechwarrior 5 got canned because Microsoft refused to get on board if it was also released on the PS3: Link

I expect that wasn't the only instance, either. A quick search ('microsoft ps3 crossplay 360 -ps4') suggests Microsoft explicitly put the kibosh on crossplay in Defiance and Trion, and turned down Valve's offer to integrate Steam with Portal 2 for PS3/PC/360 cross-play.

News Comments > Free DRM-Free Torchlight 1 & 2 for Owners
11. Re: Game Reviews Oct 12, 2017, 19:28 Orogogus

peteham wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 19:19:
Strange. I have both TL1 and 2 on Steam but when I did the connect thing GOG just says "no eligible games found". Anyone else have that?

TL2 transferred successfully for me. I already had TL1 on GOG from when they gave it away a few years ago.

News Comments > Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel
2. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 11, 2017, 21:26 Orogogus

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 21:12:
I have more faith in this than I do Stardock's efforts and I am sure that this is going to get shutdown fast unless they are basing it on the 3D0 version that was open sourced a long time ago.

It's really not clear to me what rights Stardock had purchased, aside from the name itself. Early articles indicated they don't have the rights to the aliens, which is, like, the whole Star Control thing, but in any case the Gamasutra article says Stardock has no issue with this project. Looking forward to it!

News Comments > Steam VR Room Space Getting Roomier
9. Re: Steam VR Room Space Getting Roomier Oct 11, 2017, 17:42 Orogogus

Lorcin wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 17:08:
I'm more interested in the Occulus Go which loses all the room tracking crap. I only wanna fly spaceships in VR so half price to lose the extraneous crap sounds good to me.

Isn't the Go more on par with mobile VR? Giving up the PC at the same time you need more power for doubled visuals at extremely close range seems limiting.

98. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 21:32 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 14:59:
Polling is skewed to the point of near-uselessness, as evidenced by Hillary's embarrassing loss in the election despite polls showing an easy win.

I feel like I see people shitting on Nate Silver and polling a lot on this board, but his prediction was like 70/30 Clinton. From the way people go on you'd think he said 99.9.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
2. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Oct 2, 2017, 12:47 Orogogus

I mentioned it last week, I think it doesn't have a box release yet (I don't see it on Gamestop's website), and I don't believe the GfK chart has access to Steam data, which is why this is always such a different list.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
19. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 30, 2017, 00:18 Orogogus

It raises the debt because of the large tax cuts to the wealthy and corporations.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 29, 2017, 18:50 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 16:31:
NicklePop wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 16:20:
Trumps the man. Tax reform baby!

What do you want reformed, what do you think will happen, and what evidence do you have that the changes will bring those impacts?

What's important to regular earners on the right on positions against their own interest re: healthcare, taxes, workplace and environmental protections, etc., is that it pisses off liberals. So there's every indication that will happen and no reason to think that the proposed changes, if they come to pass, won't bring about that outcome.

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Sep 29, 2017, 16:21 Orogogus

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 16:14:
Nullity wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 12:54:
I probably shouldn't be admitting this in public, but here goes...

I love sci-fi. It is, without a doubt, my favorite genre. But I just don't like Blade Runner. It's almost universally regarded as the pinnacle of science fiction, but I find it painfully slow and boring. I've even seen all 3 of the versions previous mentioned (theatrical, director's, final), each time feeling excited when it begins that this is finally going to be the viewing where I "get it" and the movie is great. It never happens, and instead, I'm left wondering why I subjected myself to it again.

I like the actors, they all do a fine job. The cinematography and effects are amazing, even to this day. Yet the film as a whole just slogs and can barely hold my attention. I just don't find it interesting.

I've always had this feeling that I *want* to like this movie, but try as I might, I just can't. What is it I'm missing?

(And no, I'm not the type that only likes fast action and special effects. I love character development and great stories.)
Try the novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"*, it's what the movie was based on.
As for the 3 versions, seen one seen em all.

*blues amazon link

Loosely based. The names are all there, but it's a massively different story in tone and content.

1615 Comments. 81 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo