Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1631 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Starfighter Origins Tomorrow
21. Re: Starfighter Origins Tomorrow Apr 24, 2017, 18:25 Orogogus

Zor wrote on Apr 24, 2017, 18:01:
I want an X-Wing/Freespace series soft reboot with the visuals of Battlefront 2. And not aimed at consoles.

It's hard to not read this as, "It would make me happy if the company lost a bunch of money."

Like, CJ said being optimized for gamepad makes it a no-go, even though it supports HOTAS and TrackIR. But how many copies do you think they can sell if they limit it to PC gamers who have a joystick? Battlefront has a ton of money to spend on visuals because it's aimed at the broad, casual crowd. Generally you trade away whiz-bang graphics when you cater to niches. It's doubtful any more companies can go the crowdfunding route and get tens of thousands of dollars from individual donors.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 24, 2017, 14:58 Orogogus

"long for" is what you're going for, I think, or "wish for."  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 24, 2017, 12:51 Orogogus

Dacote wrote on Apr 24, 2017, 11:06:
We are going to rue the day when cell phones were just for phone calls.

"Rue" means the opposite of how you're using it here.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
24. Re: Report on comment 1131750 Apr 23, 2017, 16:03 Orogogus

descender wrote on Apr 23, 2017, 11:13:
Rehabilitation works because it works, not because of your latent racism.

Latent, my ass.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2017, 19:26 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 17:24:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 17:05:
Cutter wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 15:45:
What's really amazing is that most cancer would never occur with a better standard of living and better diet and exercise.

I actually think this is semi-false. I believe diet has a large roll in cancers but exercise and standard of living would only have minimum affects. Take a look at Andy Whitfield, a man in his prime with diet and exercise and struck down with Lymphoma.

First the death of Andy is a single, anecdotal piece of evidence.

Second, the statistical evidence is pretty strong actually. Exercise can prevent some kinds of cancers in the 25-30% range, hardly a "minimum effect."

25-30% reduced risk is significantly different from cancer never occurring.

News Comments > Activision Classics on Steam
17. Re: Activision Classics on Steam Apr 20, 2017, 18:16 Orogogus

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I don't think MW2 got textures until the Titanium edition. But if you go on YouTube you can easily see videos showing it with untextured polygons and sprite explosions.

The old demo is the one with the Marauder and the Puma/Adder, right?

News Comments > Activision Classics on Steam
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 19, 2017, 20:42 Orogogus

Well... DosBOX isn't going to require DirectX. I'd guess that Steam's choices just don't go any lower, or maybe Steam itself no longer runs on lower spec?

I think it would have made sense to package a Windows interpreter like Frotz, but the screenshots suggest that they just used the original executables.

News Comments > Gone Gold - The Surge
30. Re: Gone Gold - The Surge Apr 19, 2017, 12:41 Orogogus

Agent-Zero wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 12:11:
JohnQP wrote on Apr 19, 2017, 09:38:
its understandable to think it is only this way if you are still young and/or relatively new to gaming, or someone who just lacks knowledge in general.. which is also quite common

Or if one has a broader perspective of gaming than someone who uses the term to mean "computer gaming." Or if one is not especially literally-minded, and more comfortable with abstract language.

As for its recent vintage, lots of language works that way. E.g., "his or her" or "their" in lieu of "his."

"on rails" was never applied to any other type of game before the term was used in computer gaming... details like this are usually unknown and specifically not a concern for people who would just rather tow the line, fit the trends, be a good little follower, and basically hold the standard of peer pressure as the highest authority

but thats just bullshit.. its the reason why the word "literally" now means its exact opposite, and frankly i dont give a shit if you want to redefine every word in the language to suit your own level of ignorance... but the simple fact remains, thats what it is

I think the term might have been used in arcade games first, for light gun games -- "rail shooters." But yeah, it means exactly that.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2017, 16:18 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 15:53:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 13:19:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 12:40:
Are taxes so simple you can do them yourself in the US?
For a vast majority, yes. And even if your situation is a little more complicated, something like Turbo Tax will walk you through everything for $120 ($60 for the software, $60 for the electronic filing).

An example of someone who might need professional assistance: A day trader with hundreds or thousands of trades. Or if you are self employed, the mixing of personal and business finances can get complicated.

Yeah, as Freelancer for me this stuff is complicated, and it's not so much I couldn't do it myself, the problem is that my tax is set for the next year based on my report for last year, so I have to employ "intelligent" book-keeping not to push me above certain tax brackets for the next year, where income isn't set in stone... I'd rather pay someone 160 a year for this including always information what changes how and when so I don't get into trouble.

That seems more like a self-employment vs. wage slave thing than US specifically. Do most company employees in European countries get professional tax assistance?

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2017, 14:36 Orogogus

A Martian day is 24h 40m long. So 7/11, known for being open 24/7, is closed for 40 minutes on Mars.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 18, 2017, 07:16 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Apr 18, 2017, 04:36:
And yet, the rise of video games has correlated with the lowest loss of life from war in the history of mankind. I'm not going to claim causation, as it's a complex, multifaceted issue, but there's no evidence that playing violent video games leads to actual violence in even the tiniest fraction of individuals.

That's a weird statistic to pull out. I don't think even anti-video game crusaders are going to claim that video games lead to war.

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. Apr 18, 2017, 00:29 Orogogus

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 23:20:
Tencent is the Chinese conglomerate that owns League of Legends, some major mobile games, etc. They already have more users than Steam on their own gaming platform, but I don't think that translates to being able to have as much pull in western markets...

Tencent also developed and owns WeChat, the chat/social media app overwhelmingly favored by people from mainland China, even ones living elsewhere.

News Comments > More Star Wars Battlefront II Details
32. Re: More Star Wars Battlefront II Details Apr 17, 2017, 16:27 Orogogus

JohnQP wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 16:15:
Also: 2 male leads.

Sub-leads. Cohais to the sempais.

I think that opinion is kind of horseshit. Did you think Luke was the only lead in Empire just because he had a training montage? I feel like if you switched Rey with either Po or Finn suddenly those roles would have become the lead and Rey's role would have become the sublead.

But, eh, I think your other opinions are basically modern eugenics, the same tired spiel of genetic superiority based on skin color or gender for decades. Knock yourself out and enjoy your victimhood.

News Comments > More Star Wars Battlefront II Details
30. Re: More Star Wars Battlefront II Details Apr 17, 2017, 16:08 Orogogus

JohnQP wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 15:50:
2 Star Wars movies in 3 years, 2 female leads.

Also: 2 male leads.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer
16. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer Apr 16, 2017, 22:37 Orogogus

NKD wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 21:13:
Hell, there hasn't even really been any notable crowdfunding efforts to make space sims.

The rest of the post looked reasonable -- how many people out there even have joysticks any more? -- but was this closer sarcasm?

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2017, 00:44 Orogogus

White people were involved in the scorpion sting story going on right now, the leggings incident, and the United Breaks Guitars thing several years ago.

But yeah, you have to be drinking pretty heavily from the right wing woe-to-be-a-white-male well to believe that a white guy being dragged bleeding off a plane by the police wouldn't have gone equally viral and caught the media's attention. Just totally disconnected from reality.

News Comments > Windows 10 Self-Service Refunds Coming
9. Re: Windows 10 Self-Service Refunds Coming Apr 13, 2017, 14:27 Orogogus

Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 13, 2017, 07:17:
Acleacius wrote on Apr 13, 2017, 05:53:
Slick wrote on Apr 13, 2017, 02:33:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 13, 2017, 00:32:
Sounds legit.

MS: What's the most restrictive policy out there? Steam? Let's emulate them.

So being the first console to offer refunds gets them no credit?

Jesus.

I have no love for xbox, never owned one, probably never will. But give me a break. Name me one other console that offers refunds of any kind.
They were forced into it, since it's sales are doing so poorly against the PS4. I've never owned a console, so I'm not playing favorites.

I just checked, holy crap the Xbox really does bad. Worldwide weekly sales are only about 1/3 of the PS4 sales.

That's more the PS doing great than the Xbox doing bad. From all accounts, the Xb1 is selling more than the 360 did at this time, when it was beating the PS3.

But yeah, no matter how good the refund policy was, you could have said MS was forced into it, so that's irrelevant. I guess people think Steam's refund policy is bad, but the fact that it has one while Oculus's policy is a flat "All sales are final" means I buy nearly all my VR games from Steam because no one else is doing better. Same for the Xbox.

News Comments > Into the Black
26. Re: Into the Black Apr 11, 2017, 00:53 Orogogus

Kxmode wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 00:09:
Will W wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 23:54:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 23:36:

Emotion and not logic are driving the majority reaction to this situation. People forget that there are no civil rights when you're dealing with a business transaction, just like there are no civil rights when you order a Big Mac from McDonald's. The airlines, while under the jurisdiction of the TSA, FAA, and NTSB, are private businesses. Please don't confuse public civil rights with private companies. Also, resisting the orders of a police officer can result in a felony or misdemeanor depending on the state. It is no less different than a person resisting arrest. Being seated on an airplane is completely irrelevant.

Civil rights include such things as not being denied service based on race (or other protected status) . They certainly do apply to private companies.

The only time civil rights apply is if the TSA, FAA, and (or) the NTSB were to imposed some law that discriminated against a group based on whatever (e.g. race, religion, gender, and so forth). The airlines would have no choice but to comply with the law. People wouldn't go after the airlines, they would go after the government who created the law that violates civil rights in the first place. Do you get it now?

This situation is Civics 101-level stuff. You should know this. Teachers taught it in high school alongside Sociology and History.

This is false.

Link

40127. Prohibitions on discrimination
(a) Persons in Air Transportation.-An air carrier or foreign air carrier may not subject a person in air transportation to discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, or ancestry.

It's not part of the Civil Rights Act, but that act does provide the exact same protection to public facilities, including but not limited to hotels, restaurants and theaters.

===

The idea that being bumped from an airplane is upsetting because it's cramped also seems incorrect on the face of it. It's upsetting because you were expecting to get from point A to point B at time C and if you had any plans, they're shot. People are upset when their flights, trains or buses are unavailable even if they're still at home.

Also, I've never heard of a cinema overbooking except for free advance screenings.

News Comments > Into the Black
14. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 10, 2017, 23:07 Orogogus

Kxmode wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 22:22:
requested a refund and a flight replacement, which I'm sure the airline would have been happy to provide for the inconvenience.

Also, required by federal law.

As Moreluckthanskill said, United could have offered more money than the minimum required by law, until someone accepted. But no, thugs are a popular way to get results, too. You said it's the airline's fault, but somehow it's up to the customers to eat it if everyone's time is worth more than the what United offers.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2017, 02:11 Orogogus

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 8, 2017, 16:07:
Beamer wrote on Apr 8, 2017, 15:35:
fishingtime wrote on Apr 8, 2017, 13:10:
snopes has already been exposed as fake news

Examples?
the snopes link is in the threads first post and says, snopes

It even has the underline hyperlink thingy

Beamer means, does fishingtime have an example of snopes posting fake news? And in all probability the answer is haha, no.

1631 Comments. 82 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo