Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1586 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
12. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jun 14, 2017, 13:11 Orogogus

People don't think there's a ton of circumstantial evidence aside from the intelligence agencies' say-so?

Michael Flynn requested immunity, and his attorneys said he'll refuse to comply with a Congressional subpoena from the investigation committee, and will plead his Fifth Amendment right to avoid self-incrimination.

Trump asked Comey to drop the probe.

Sessions, Manafort, Kushner, Flynn meeting with Russian officials during the campaign, some of them forgetting to report the fact. His advisers are stacked with people paid by Russian companies, who have been given Russian awards, and who have been invited to give talks to Russian groups.

Putin has flat out said that there might have been Russian hacking, but claims it wasn't organized by his government.

Out of the blue, when asked about Putin, Trump basically said that America's not all that great.

Trump lied about releasing his tax returns -- there was no audit, an audit wouldn't have prevented him from releasing them, and he never had any intention of releasing them after the election despite saying he would.

It's just incredible that someone could look at what we know and definitively conclude, there's nothing there, Democrats are just whining. If you flipped it around to the Obama administration and you had all these flags, the same people wouldn't find it highly suggestive of Russian interference? Didn't they already claim undue Russian influence with Hillary on far less evidence than this?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GOG Summer Sale Includes Free Rebel Galaxy
8. Re: GOG Summer Sale Includes Free Rebel Galaxy Jun 6, 2017, 13:56 Orogogus

Jagacademy wrote on Jun 6, 2017, 13:45:
Yeah and it doesn't retail for what you can find on the floor underneath a drink machine. (like the majority of games Origin likes to make a big deal about giving away)

Eh, when GOG does a no-strings-attached giveaway it tends to be the same way. At one point they gave away Beneath a Steel Sky or something else that was already free.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
9. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 5, 2017, 02:35 Orogogus

ledhead1969 wrote on Jun 4, 2017, 23:46:
Creston wrote on Jun 4, 2017, 21:31:
They can get 200mbps in the fucking Himalayas, but here 10 miles outside of town in the US, you're lucky if you can get 5mbps.

CLEARLY we need to give ISPs much more leeway in restricting access and lowering speeds, right, Ajit Fucking Pai?

"Picture yourself in a restaurant. You and your friend are enjoying a nice night out on the town. You arenít super hungry, so you just order a soup and salad off the appetizer menu. Your friend is really hungry and orders a 44-oz steak. When the waiter brings you both your checks, you both owe the same amount. You ask the waiter why and he tells you thatís just the way it is. After all, it wouldnít be fair if you paid less than your friend."

More like free soda refills, which cost less than pennies on the dollar. Totally outraged that the other guy got to drink three cups of Coke, or took two straws, or used the bathroom, jacking up the price of my burger and fries.

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Jun 1, 2017, 16:12 Orogogus

There's also those other ARPGs I mentioned, Grim Dawn and Path of Exile, and I think there's some kind of F2P Marvel thing that's reasonably popular. And below the AAA level there really is a ton of stuff. That doesn't seem much more dead to me than most genres that don't happen to be shooter or sandbox.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Jun 1, 2017, 14:21 Orogogus

I think that was Beamer, and in the context of Fallout it seems clear to me he was talking about giant world RPGs. Because otherwise, Diablo 3 and a few other ARPGs are doing well, and I believe the new X-COM games, too.

He also said big budget games, and Tokyo 42 doesn't look like a big huge game, but on the other hand Diablo 3 totally is and the XCOM games weren't small change, either.

News Comments > Neohabitat to Revive the First Graphical MMORPG
2. Re: Neohabitat to Revive the First Graphical MMORPG Jun 1, 2017, 13:00 Orogogus

Eh... Avatar is a title you achieve at the end of Ultima IV, and it's not until Ultima V, which apparently came after this game, that everyone calls you the Avatar. It also had more of the religious connotation, rather than the modern meaning.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization May 31, 2017, 18:59 Orogogus

RedEye9 wrote on May 31, 2017, 18:50:
The Half Elf wrote on May 31, 2017, 14:52:
Why does my company keep patenting bullshit?
When did Jeffrey Preston Jorgensen sell the company to you?

Anyone who works there can say "my company."

"Does your company have a cafeteria?" There's no confusion about what's being referred to.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
8. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2017, 13:20 Orogogus

MacLeod wrote on May 30, 2017, 13:08:
Orogogus wrote on May 30, 2017, 12:53:

You see it a lot in Roman Latin inscriptions. Although usually they don't have a J, either.

Isn't that usually a V instead of a U?

Oh yeah, you're right. I just remembered that they didn't have a U way back when.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2017, 12:53 Orogogus

Grumpy Sod wrote on May 30, 2017, 11:33:
Beamer wrote on May 30, 2017, 11:10:
Grumpy Sod wrote on May 30, 2017, 11:08:
Ji-dge? Jai-dge? If I can't parse a games name, that isn't good in my book

Read the description - it's basically Judge Dredd.

Oh I realise that's what they're trying for, but you can't swap a U for a Y, at least not in English.

You see it a lot in Roman Latin inscriptions. Although usually they don't have a J, either.

News Comments > EVERSPACE Launches
31. Re: EVERSPACE Launches May 28, 2017, 03:41 Orogogus

warmbluelasers wrote on May 28, 2017, 02:51:
I don't think anything from Microsoft's back catalog exists anywhere right now. Starlancer/Freelancer, the MechWarrior franchise... MS is too entrenched with their XBox/Win10 platforms to care about anything else regardless of potential profit.

Microsoft released the source code for MechCommander 2 and Allegiance. MC2 was part of their push for the now-defunct XNA. No idea why they decided to release Allegiance's code.

They also released MechCommander Gold as freeware, but I don't think they released the code.

Age of Empires II HD & III, Age of Mythology, Fable 1 and Halo Wars 1 were all remastered or whatever at some point and released on Steam. Flight Simulator X is on Steam. Unexpectedly, Phantom Dust was released for free on Xbox One and PC through the Windows Store.

And I think that should be close to all that's available from Microsoft's old games in original or remastered form nowadays.

News Comments > EVERSPACE Launches
21. Re: EVERSPACE Launches May 27, 2017, 09:12 Orogogus

VaranDragon wrote on May 27, 2017, 09:05:
Well Chris Roberts tried, with Freespace.

Freelancer, not Freespace.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 in February
67. Re: Re: Far Cry 5 in February May 27, 2017, 09:11 Orogogus

Kxmode wrote on May 27, 2017, 01:02:
Actually, Noah lived for 950 years (2870 BCE - 2020 BCE).

That seems like it would come out to 850.

60. Re: Far Cry 5 in February May 26, 2017, 21:35 Orogogus

Agent-Zero wrote on May 26, 2017, 21:22:
Orogogus wrote on May 26, 2017, 16:40:
That's the church, not the religion -- you were talking about the religion. In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus tells everyone not to call other people names, to love your enemies and to turn the other cheek.

I was talking about both - first you disagree and say it doesnt matter.. now you reverse that and basically repeat what I said in the first place, as if you have some new argument..

to wit:

Agent-Zero wrote on May 26, 2017, 13:20:
christianity was certainly co-opted by Rome and quickly became a tool of the state - but the original religion itself was not founded by a Warlord, and it wasnt originally designed as a philosophy of conquest - that only appeared via the political manipulations of its numerous revisionists

again, give me a break.. i know you desperately, so desperately want to be "right" and "win" this "debate" ... but just give up already, your game is so weak and so transparent... its a fucking joke

I don't see how that supports your argument. The Christian text is largely peaceful and passive, but its followers go to war readily enough and they insult people, despite a clear injunction not to. There's a history of brutality by large populations of Christians. And on the flip side it doesn't seem to me that the Islamic text, whether it was originally created by a warlord or intended for conquest, has such enormous bearing on whether Muslim nations or people are warlike today.

40. Re: Far Cry 5 in February May 26, 2017, 16:40 Orogogus

Agent-Zero wrote on May 26, 2017, 15:58:
its not regarded as starkly as it used to be, but there is still a recognized period of cultural, economic and technical stagnation in the middle ages which corresponds exactly to the conquests im describing

Which period? As far as I know there really wasn't a period of stagnation that you're describing, other than with regards to Rome itself and the Eastern Roman Empire, which the Muslims took over. Western Europe, not so much, the conquest of Spain notwithstanding. There's a period where trade dropped off heavily, but that was a direct effect of Rome's fall.

Can you link a history page that describes what you're talking about?

Orogogus wrote on May 26, 2017, 14:11:
you dont think the Roman Papal legacy mattered much? you dont think the widespread institution of Christianity had any meaningful part in the political machinations of the middle ages and beyond? you dont think massive fortunes were moved and leveraged at their whim? give me a fucking break, man... thats the most clueless thing ive heard in a while

That's the church, not the religion -- you were talking about the religion. In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus tells everyone not to call other people names, to love your enemies and to turn the other cheek. As far as behavioral modification goes I don't see that things would be much different if the Bible said instead that he told people that they had to protect what was theirs and to fight anyone who tries to take it. Once you've built up your team whatever you do to support it is separate from the ethics it actually talks about.

25. Re: Far Cry 5 in February May 26, 2017, 14:11 Orogogus

Agent-Zero wrote on May 26, 2017, 13:20:
In actual reality, the numerous Muslim invasions across Asia and the Mediterranean in the mid to late 1st millennium C.E. is probably the single biggest factor for the instigation of the "dark ages" in Europe... the idea that Rome being sacked was alone responsible is laughable at best... but again, its not "politically correct" to have this view and unfortunately attempting to recognize this usually gets you lumped in with white supremacists and so forth - so its a tricky thing, and of course there are plenty of other complications for having this view as well

I don't think modern historians acknowledge a dark age, in the sense of a benighted period of massive decline where people lived in ignorance and poverty, at all.

christianity was certainly co-opted by Rome and quickly became a tool of the state - but the original religion itself was not founded by a Warlord, and it wasnt originally designed as a philosophy of conquest - that only appeared via the political manipulations of its numerous revisionists

I don't think this matters much. People don't need a religion to go persecuting and conquering, and religion isn't going to stop them doing it, either. You can look at any indigenous minority, anywhere and from any time, and see how well any religion or philosophy has ever held back the majority from taking what they wanted. When you get a few million people, hundreds of years of religious development hasn't done much to change what they want.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
54. Re: Morning Mobilization May 23, 2017, 21:58 Orogogus

Krodge wrote on May 23, 2017, 21:17:
People are blindly claiming that its a book of nothing but peace. So these kids are primed to believe it. But when they encounter hate preachers they have no come backs or defense against the very well thought out straight forward arguments the preachers give them.

This sounds pretty ridiculous. Well-reasoned arguments just demolishing people's belief systems and completely rewriting their behavior. Telling people what their religion really means. Who would seriously suggest that kind of scenario now that we have the Internet? It's not even slightly plausible.

You work people up by preaching Us vs. Them. Any people, any time, any ideology. Other people hate us, they're working against our interests and trying to hurt us. And it's usually true to some extent for everyone. If you banned faith schools, would you go on to ban mosques and churches, and religion outright? There are places besides schools to have Us vs. Them drilled into you, and more than a few of these terrorists were radicalized as adults. The news has people saying this bomber was such a nice kid, what happened, and so on.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
44. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 22, 2017, 14:08 Orogogus

I can't answer the first question, but in context, I don't think jdreyer is advocating for a change in the behavior of the wealthy so much as a progressive tax system and possibly laws on companies to encourage or force smaller pay disparities.  

40. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 21, 2017, 23:07 Orogogus

Creston wrote on May 21, 2017, 15:36:
Beamer wrote on May 21, 2017, 11:00:
People in this very thread ranted against the $15 minimum, despite Cutter being right about how well it worked in Seattle.

I was opposed to it because it seemed like the wage increase would simply lead to corporations passing those costs on to their customers, thus leading to increased prices on pretty much all products, including things like food, etc, which would just hit those minimum wagers again the most.

The fact that that hasn't really seemed to have happened in Seattle is admittedly very surprising. I mean, what happened? Did corporations just eat the cost themselves???

Isn't this basically the same issue as the other discussion about visa labor? In both cases you're talking about increasing worker pay, and the concern is whether companies will pass on the costs to the point where products are unaffordable or noncompetitive (or whether the company will simply fold due to unprofitability).

Logically, it should depend mostly on how much of the company's costs come from labor relative to their net profit.

39. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 21, 2017, 22:50 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on May 21, 2017, 01:08:
But we haven't recovered mentally from 2008 and looks like we might not. We are in a save save save mentality, happy days of nicely flowing cash doesn't exist there.

The save save save mentality isn't something tied to a temporary uptick or downturn. Most people don't have pensions any more, and it's been hammered into people that Social Security isn't going to let you retire comfortably -- if you don't save up throughout your career then you'll die in a gutter. And you'll probably have a pre-existing health condition by then, so the way things are looking you'll be lucky to be able to afford insurance.

19. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 20, 2017, 17:29 Orogogus

Creston wrote on May 20, 2017, 13:52:
Brazor wrote on May 20, 2017, 12:39:
Part of the problem (especially out here in California) is that there isn't anyone to hire for those jobs.

No, I don't think that that's really the problem. There isn't anyone to hire for those jobs at the absolute fucking rock-bottom salaries employers are 'willing' to pay.

You up the salary on these jobs, and people will apply for it. Nobody wants to be a steel factory worker, to grab Beamer's example, for 9 bucks an hour (duh). You pay 18 bucks an hour, and watch the applicants line up outside. (numbers are just for example, I don't know what they actually are for steel workers.)

That's the side of the story you never hear in all these documentaries where employers lament on "We just can't hire anybody! We've been looking for years! We HAVE to go to India to find workers!"

Bullshit. Pay a good wage and good benefits, and you'll have fucking thousands of applicants.

Industries vary, but in my field, low- to medium tech medical devices, salaries and benefits are a large proportion of operating costs, probably the largest. It's very difficult for companies to set up manufacturing here and pay a large number of assembly workers significantly higher than minimum wage and still compete against companies who have their manufacturing in China. There's only so long you can sell products without making any money.

1586 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo