Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1631 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
24. Re: Into the Black Aug 19, 2017, 22:21 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2017, 20:16:
I mean, you just made a slippery slope argument then said "it's not a slippery slope."

It's already a done deal. The ship already sailed. Any company that fired Nazis because of something on the Internet was probably already firing people for petty, vindictive reasons and citing intangibles like their corporate values or coworkers complaining about being uncomfortable. To believe otherwise is to believe that these corporations have somehow managed to keep power out of the hands of those who want to abuse it, in contravention of basically every power structure ever. Firing a white supremacist seems far less likely to be a sign of a company taking action after seeing a line being crossed than of one justifying the shitty practices it's been engaging in all along.

People -- usually women and minorities -- are already fired too often for bullshit personal reasons. Firing white supremacists is a new thing, but overall I think getting companies involved in employees' personal lives is like abusing the DMCA for a good cause. In my opinion clawing back employees' rights and establishing an expectation that people are treated by their employers based on their job performance would be of greater overall benefit than getting a handful of white supremacists fired.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
21. Re: Into the Black Aug 19, 2017, 19:04 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2017, 12:00:
I'd argue that marching in a White Power demonstration does this more than doxing.

These aren't anonymous people on the internet, these are people choosing to protest minorities existing, doing so in public, in front of reporters. I'd very much want to know if the guy in the office next to me did that, and imagine most of his coworkers would. And I wouldn't want to work with him. I'd imagine most wouldn't. He'd be rightfully fired for making his fellow coworkers uncomfortable.

If that's an issue, don't march in white power parades. I get why people may think this is a slippery slope, but I'm a bit tired of people whining a slippery slope that the "left" keeps calling everyone Nazis because it's calling people marching under a Nazi flag Nazis. If you align with white power, your life will come crashing down. Just all there is.

I think people being "uncomfortable" is used for bad more than it's used for good. It gets people fired because they worked as dancers, modeled in Playboy, had a child out of wedlock, committed a crime in the past, or didn't stand for the national anthem. And it's a non-quantifiable metric that lets companies fire people for non-work related reasons. You're making people uncomfortable, you're out.

It's not a slippery slope. If companies have this tool then bad people will use it for shitty purposes more often than for firing Nazis, and it doesn't take a majority or a plurality or even more than a handful of actors in management or HR to set the course. It encourages drama in the workplace and my experience is that bad people are much better than good people at wielding this kind of chaos.

Politically, I don't think it's scoring any points. Fox News generally paints the left as a mob. Their coverage of Occupy Wall Street, Black Lives Matter, assorted campus protests and antifa sets up a contrast of normal people living normal lives versus a pack of violent, spiteful children. As far as I can tell the Democrats have been losing every seat they've been hoping to pick up in the wake of the Trump election, and I can't see the aftermath of this tragedy swinging more votes left than right.

News Comments > Agents of Mayhem Released
17. Re: Agents of Mayhem Released Aug 16, 2017, 13:08 Orogogus

Did your autocorrect revolt on you? You spelled Volition correctly in previous posts, but it's well and gone haywire now.  

News Comments > BATTLETECH Delayed
6. Re: BATTLETECH Delayed Aug 15, 2017, 03:02 Orogogus

pacbowl wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 23:26:
No multiplayer is the only reason I didn't fund this. I used to play the tabletop/dirtmaps using tape measures and still have painted pewter mechs. Without coop it just doesn't feel right.

You know co-op and multiplayer are two different things, right? It's going to launch with PVP multiplayer.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2017, 07:18 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2017, 03:34:
Walmart says back-to-school gun display was a prank.

"It was a joke!"

Well, I guess our president says the same thing all the time, so it's not without precedent.

They seem to be saying that someone pranked them, not that they set it up like that intentionally.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 11, 2017, 13:11 Orogogus

Yeah; good article, but wow, there are some real extremist nuts out there with too much time on their hands.  

News Comments > Starflight Remake Plans?
12. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 17:55 Orogogus

Star Control II was basically a remake of Starflight. Not identical, but very, very similar. Close enough that you have to believe that SC2 would have been a different game if Starflight never existed.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 9, 2017, 14:56 Orogogus

Bodolza wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 12:32:
This is especially true in California, which is an at-will employment state.

It's somewhat less true in California. All 50 states are at-will employment states. But like several other states, California has a public policy exception, an implied contract exception and an implied covenant of good faith & fair dealing exception, all limiting the power of at-will employment.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 9, 2017, 11:14 Orogogus

Bodolza wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 17:09:
Orogogus wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 16:14:
it's illegal in California.
FYI, their was a huge drop in diversity of colleges in California after that law was passed.

Citation? The first few search hits I see for college diversity rankings has California schools dominating the top of the lists in 2016. And if they're able to do that without racial preferences, isn't that a good thing?

It would seem Google agrees with you.

It seems to me that they say they do, but then they fired the guy anyway. Meaning that it's the kind of company that puts out a suggestion box but then tracks down and punishes anyone who uses it. If their open communication atmosphere is such an obvious sham, their diversity push probably is, too.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 8, 2017, 16:14 Orogogus

Bodolza wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 15:51:
Pretty much everything listed under "The Harm of Google's biases". Every decision is discriminatory in one way or the other. People choose colors, what car they drive, their shoes -- all based on discriminatory choices. Google has chosen to discriminate based on race and gender towards the goal of increasing diversity and inclusion. Those are the values that the company leadership has decided to embrace.

I don't think that answer is good enough to declare that the author is anti-diversity. I think you should be allowed to talk about the methods used to improve diversity. The kinds of affirmative action hiring practices described in that section are one method, and they're controversial enough when used by colleges -- it's illegal in California.

I don't believe silencing discussion is productive. You say discrimination is okay if it's for a good cause. Maybe it is, but if you're not allowed to even talk about it then how do you know if it's gone too far, or far enough? Would it be okay for a company to fire x number of white employees to make room for diversity hires? If a company instituted completely token positions for people to be paid to do nothing for the sake of looking good on paper, wouldn't it be okay to say, maybe this isn't the best way of going about this?

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 8, 2017, 15:26 Orogogus

I read it, and I don't think it was anti-diversity or inclusion. It seemed to me it was a lot more about the mechanics of policies relating to diversity. Which parts did you find particularly anti?  

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
3. Re: UK Sales Charts Aug 7, 2017, 17:26 Orogogus

My impression is that GFK Chart-Track doesn't have access to Steam sales data, which distorts the results. PUBG and other Steam-only titles never show up, and PC games seem to rank lower than expected in the combined lists.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
17. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2017, 13:11 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 11:09:
Cutter wrote on Jul 30, 2017, 21:34:
How on earth is it a noble job, or even necessary?

I just wanted to answer to state this doesn't deserve an answer.

The left siding Cutter just went on a whim, as far right as you can with this one.

It's only the deep libertarians on the right that are anti-law enforcement. Tough on crime/blue lives matter are generally right wing positions.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jul 27, 2017, 14:16 Orogogus

From the article and just the title, it seems to me that House Party got axed because people complained, the same way that comments violating the rules usually get removed on Blue's boards when they get reported, not because they're necessarily the most egregious violations. Of course, people have been whining about double standards here for forever, too.

As for copyright violations -- you can violate copyright as long as the IP holder doesn't sue you. Witness Hasbro's extraordinarily lenient attitude towards third party Transformers toys.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: 111 N.F.L. Brains. All But One Had C.T.E. Jul 26, 2017, 13:01 Orogogus

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 26, 2017, 12:35:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 26, 2017, 12:21:
Brain damage due to concussion is a serious problem in American football. That said, headlines like this are, in part, the reason news media is under increasing attack. The study is statistically invalid because a majority of the brains were donated because the person had shown signs of dementia or other symptoms. Anyone wanting to discredit it, wouldn't have to work hard. This despite the fact it is indeed a serious problem which needs to be addressed.
There is nothing misleading about the headline, study or article. I don't see how anyone could discredit the results.
The article even states “There’s a tremendous selection bias,” noting that many families have donated brains specifically because the former player showed symptoms of C.T.E.
Repeated trauma to the brain causes C.T.E., now maybe dipshits like Jerry Jones and parents who push their children into dangerous sports will take note.
“It is no longer debatable whether or not there is a problem in football — there is a problem,” Dr. McKee said.

Recognizing a "tremendous selection bias" doesn't make it go away. If this were an autism and vaccine study that relied solely on donated material, most of it from subjects who'd already showed signs of autism, you'd recognize the problem, wouldn't you?

The article does mention that even if these 110 positives represented all the positives from the ~1,300 former players who have died, an 8% rate (the article says ~9%, I'm not sure why; maybe they have a more precise total than 1,300) is still "vastly" higher than that of the general population. But it would have been nice if they had said what that general rate was.

News Comments > Longsword - Tabletop Tactics Early Access
7. Re: Longsword - Tabletop Tactics Early Access Jul 24, 2017, 15:10 Orogogus

UConnBBall wrote on Jul 24, 2017, 10:23:
How does this not get sued into eternity by Games Workshop the instant this was thought of I am sure their lawyers got ready.

What do you see that makes you think GW? From what you said I'd assumed they'd ripped off Skaven, Chaos or maaaaaybe Orks, but no, it's a bunch of humans, dragons and undead. The units have as much to do with D&D as Warhammer, and it's not like GW owns the concept of turn-based fantasy games.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jul 23, 2017, 23:37 Orogogus

If tailgating is the biggest cause of accidents, wouldn't that imply that cars are useless, not autonomous vehicles? What would be the difference between getting rear ended in an autocar and in a manually driven one?  

News Comments > Fortnite Head Start Early Access Underway
10. Re: Fortnite Head Start Early Access Underway Jul 22, 2017, 11:13 Orogogus

Alamar wrote on Jul 22, 2017, 10:52:
DarkCntry wrote on Jul 22, 2017, 02:40:
Cutter wrote on Jul 22, 2017, 02:14:
And they want $60+ bucks to start for this? Fucking lol! There are already several dozen survival games that look miles better than this and are already 20 bux +/-. Yeah, I'd have zero interest in this even if it were free - which will probably happen in real short order.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/pre-order/standard

$20 is the standard pack.....

As for Free, they will launch as a free to play game next year...everything now is just a paid-in head-start.

That link shows me a $40 standard pack...

Yeah. My understanding is that people who got in the alpha or the beta get $20 off, so maybe that's automatically being applied for them.

News Comments > Age of Heroes VR Released
12. Re: Age of Heroes VR Released Jul 22, 2017, 03:50 Orogogus

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 21, 2017, 14:21:
5) Vive has more exclusives and is getting Skyrim/Fallout VR, while Rift is getting a Marvel combat game as an exclusive, but it seems there is software out there that allows for some cross play reguardless of the VR.

I don't think this is accurate. Right now I don't think there are any Vive exclusives, but there are a bunch of Rift exclusives. The Rift's exclusivity period is starting to expire on some games, like Superhot VR, which are now coming to Steam. But the Rift can run SteamVR games; I buy most of my Rift games there since the Oculus store is kind of garbage.

It's possible that Bethesda will go out of their way to make Skyrim, Fallout and DOOM Vive exclusive because of their lawsuits with Oculus, but I don't think it's been confirmed. The guys at Valve are on record saying a what a bad thing exclusives are for the VR industry.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 21, 2017, 13:50 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Jul 21, 2017, 09:20:
When have you ever known the stock market to focus on ANYTHING except next quarter's profits?

Every time a hot dot com makes its IPO with profitability nowhere in sight, with a business model of hoping that Facebook, Amazon, or some other giant company buys them out.

1631 Comments. 82 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo