Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1283 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
66. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 21, 2016, 04:33 Orogogus

Redmask wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 23:34:
The tweets were not photoshopped, there is no evidence to support that claim and in fact its quite the opposite if you look at her twitter history.

What does that mean? I don't see them in the Twitter history. As yuastnav said, these tweets don't show up on Google, unlike anything else that's been retweeted -- everything gets amplified by aggregators and sites made to follow Twitter. And the one on the right has supposedly been retweeted 785 times and favorited or liked 4,000 times, yet nothing. The evidence seems clear to me that Beamer's correct.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
53. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2016, 22:11 Orogogus

Quboid wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 21:06:
Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 20:48:
As per the proof. Leslie Jones has a blue check. Those photoshopped tweets do not.

Blue ticks aren't displayed all the time. On someone's profile, the tick is at the top but not on each tweet. She claims they're fake, but she has posted plenty of trash. It wouldn't surprise me either way.

The one on the left should have the check, shouldn't it?

And if the other one really had 785 and 4K whatevers, it would probably show up in a Google search. This seems to be the case when I try it with Bill Gates or Justin Bieber, at least. Simply deleting it wouldn't be so effective that it disappears.

News Comments > System Shock Remake Funded
31. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 12, 2016, 18:45 Orogogus

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 11:47:
Wesp5 wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 10:06:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 16:16:
I'm guessing that you haven't played Metroid or Castlevania either, so you probably don't know what that means.

Yeah, I didn't play Metroid or Castlevania either and wasn't aware SS and SS2 are part of a series with those. Still, bad level design isn't getting better only because other games made the same stupid mistakes!
Explaining it again isn't going to make you any less ignorant, so I'm not sure it's worth the time.

System Shock didn't really have the multiple elevators that SS2 did, though. You use the central elevator for nearly everything except a few bits involving groves and the last level or so.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 12, 2016, 14:52 Orogogus

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 14:11:
Because that's exactly what happened. What? You couldn't find that with a 20 second google search. Take a look at the news media, touting the key thing that she got funding was because she was female, read the VC magazines which said the same thing. Oh yeah, they touted her as the next female Steve Jobs and pushed very hard, and the money went from a trickle to a flood. Guess blind ignorance is lovely sometimes right?

Provide a link, then? A VC who says that the only reason they gave money was the woman thing?

Oh, and tainted blood transfusions? People went to prison for that at least here in Canada 8 years to be exact. But you also seem to be forgetting that there's a negligence difference in most of your examples. Don't forget either on the levels of fraud committed here, and the very between the lines reading that they knew that their product didn't work. I know, difficult thing to grasp right. Then again you guys in the US have far more problems with your drug industry and how it's regulated then other parts of the world.

We're talking about the US, Theranos is a US company. Europe, Canada and Japan do have better records of sending executives to prison. But in the US, Holmes could have personally faked data and she wouldn't go to prison. For one thing, no one's died, and medical procedures are such that it's highly unlikely anyone would have received a false diagnosis because of their tests. To go to prison, she would probably have to falsify data, clearly knowing that doing so would cause someone to die. It's an impossible level of proof. The cigarette companies are the closest analog you'll find, where executives clearly covered up their own research showing their products were unhealthy, and had tons of memos saying "destroy this after reading it." Energy companies have it going on as well, suppressing climate change research results when it's clear that doing so will result in environmental damage. If you want Holmes to go to prison, you better hope she gets caught sticking up a liquor store.

And the level of fraud you're talking about -- faking data and knowing that a product doesn't work -- isn't as uncommon as you seem to think. The 2012 FDA warning letter to Alere basically accuses them of doctoring the QC results on their cardiac tests because they knew they wouldn't pass otherwise. There are a ton of products on the market, cleared using unreproducible data. For low and medium risk conditions, the difference between a non-confirmatory screening test that "works" and "doesn't work" is a lot less binary and much more a sliding scale -- a test works often enough can be deemed to be sufficiently useful to go on the market, and a lot of companies will push that line.

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 12, 2016, 13:50 Orogogus

Do you guys have any experience in medical diagnostics or pharmaceuticals? There's been way, way worse than this on record - thalidomide, tainted blood transfusions, the massive, massive promotion of off-label uses for drugs. How many men went to prison for 20 years? How many for even one day? (Hint: zero). Do you think anyone went to prison for blowing up the Challenger space shuttle? A schmuck who crashes a cruise boat aground and kills some people might go to prison. A CEO who testifies that cigarettes aren't addictive, or who creates a working environment of cost-cutting and negligence resulting in oil spills of millions of barrels of oil, not so much.

I mean: do you think that what Holmes did was the worst thing ever committed in the medical industry? Or do you think that there were tons of guys who have gone to prison for something similar? It's one or the other.

And Theranos' proposed product of microfluidics blood testing would be a huge deal, if it worked. It would be like those Star Trek tests that go "fwish" instead of sticking a needle in your arm. We would only need phlebotomists for blood donations instead of at every station. The entire vacutainer blood tube industry would be upended. What the fuck is wrong with you two that you think that venture capital committees threw billions at this company because they have a woman in charge?

News Comments > G2A Planning Changes
57. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 19:08 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 18:22:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 15:21:
Those look like the same way to me. What's having it "one way" look like? You forbid people but don't actually have a cheaper price? You have multiple prices but let people pay more as an option?

They want to have regional pricing and completely abolish sites like G2A, GMG etc that bypass regional pricing to a certain extent and sell games cheaper to the typically 'rich' regions. This really doesn't seem that complicated?

That's just wanting the one thing, regional pricing. If everyone bypasses it then they don't have it at all. I don't see where you're going with this have their cake and eat it schtick. If the municipal government wants a 40 MPH speed limit zone, wanting people to not mount radar detectors and blast through isn't some separate desire.

In any case, I don't think they brought up regional pricing. That was, like, Cutter saying there's no such thing as black market keys, only regional keys.

Ehm, no, actually the CC companies tend to be pretty good with eating the cost of stolen credit cards themselves. (That they pass this cost back on their customers through higher fees, eh, but that happens in literally every single industry.) If your CC company pushes the cost of your stolen CC back onto you, might I suggest really, REALLY quickly switching to a non-asshole CC.

I feel like you're sometimes almost as bad as Cutter at skimming through quickly. The publisher is also the CC company's customer, and I put it in parentheses to clarify. The publisher/retailer/merchant very often does eat the cost, and I'm almost certain they would in this case -- as is often pointed out, pirated software doesn't necessarily equal a lost sale. On that basis, I'd be amazed if the CC companies coughed up any money to game companies making a loss claim.

Obviously they need to be notified by the CC company that so many keys were bought with stolen CC, and then they need to ban those keys immediately. Absent quicker action from the CC company there is little they can do of course, but bitching and whining about a site like G2A which solely exists BECAUSE of their "have cake and eat it too" regional pricing is just pathetic.

I don't think the CC companies are telling them, or else there would be a lot more of that reported. My impression is that this kind of operation uses stolen credit card numbers, not physical cards, so if it gets through the fraud detection algorithm then it might not get flagged until someone notices the bad charge on their card, by which time the key might have been turned around and sold already.

47. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 15:52 Orogogus

Suppa7 wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 15:27:
Uhh that's the whole point, the people who make credit cards, and provide money payments as a service and charge for it are ultimatley responsible for fraud committed using their services. AKA if you can't make it fraud proof, aren't making secure cards. That's the company's fault not G2A's.

In the US, at least, end users are by law almost completely shielded from paying the cost of credit card fraud. Sometimes the bank behind the card will eat the cost, but usually it falls on the merchant. G2A doesn't care, so here it's going to be the game company who eats the loss, and they'll be left to their own devices to figure out how to fight it.

45. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 15:21 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 13:04:
The publishers want to have it both ways. They want to have regional pricing AND to forbid people from the 'rich' markets from buying cheaper keys.

Those look like the same way to me. What's having it "one way" look like? You forbid people but don't actually have a cheaper price? You have multiple prices but let people pay more as an option?

So let's just say that the stuff we have now is a good enough compromise for both sides, and the only thing that needs to be focused on / combatted is the use of stolen credit cards to buy keys and dump them on a site like G2A. Quite frankly, I don't really even see why that's G2A's problem to begin with. That's on the CC companies and the publishers to take quicker action when they realize there is fraudulent activity.

Action like what? The credit card company isn't going to do jack, their natural inclination is going to be to put it all on their customer (the publisher). The publisher isn't going to know anything's amiss until keys show up on the market below cost. All they can do is take keys away from people who paid for them, and their logical recourse is going to be to make G2A look like the bad guys, then refuse to do business with them, and maybe then start taking keys away from customers.

What else do you think they can do? The illegal activity is the stolen credit cards, and they're not going to be able to touch that. Other than that... if they'd used those cards to buy lawn chairs online from Wal-Mart and then dumped them all on Ebay, where do you think it could be stopped?

News Comments > System Shock Remaster Becomes a Reboot
6. Re: System Shock Remaster Becomes a Reboot Jun 24, 2016, 20:21 Orogogus

Oh, dang, if they grafted System Shock 2-style RPG elements to the reboot I would not be happy.  

News Comments > System Shock Remaster Becomes a Reboot
3. Re: System Shock Remaster Becomes a Reboot Jun 24, 2016, 20:11 Orogogus

Well, I don't know. I guess it depends on the scope of the reboot. SHODAN's plans are kind of nonsense. She's going to fire Citadel Station's laser to devastate Earth's cities. But they're in Saturn orbit; it's supposedly a mining laser, not a galaxy death beam. Likewise, just how does she think she's going to fool anyone by launching the groves or the saucer section at Earth? It's going to take them years to arrive. So I think there's room to tighten up the plot somewhat. And hoppers are probably the goofiest things I've ever shot in an FPS (Boing! Boing!). But there's no information to tell what they have in mind, except that they don't think it could reasonably be called a remaster.  

News Comments > Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway
68. Re: Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway Jun 24, 2016, 13:56 Orogogus

Acleacius wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 12:19:
Right, so this is about coming up with a solution that causes the least amount of damage to developers (imo fuck publishers), the game marketing industry and legitimately selling. So the question, is there a solution yet, if not all I'm saying is none of us should jump to pitchforks and torches as a first solution.

I don't think anyone has, unless you think someone not buying from G2A because they don't have faith in the legitimacy of the purchases qualifies. Fraud protection generally falls on the retailer. In a situation where the retailer has no incentive to do anything about it, there's not much solution to be had.

So, make the wealthier countries pay more to indirectly let other countries for the price of a pizza? No, thanks. If you can not afford the price, do not buy. Do not ask other people to pay more so you can get it for a dime.

Plus: If some people think they do not want to pay $60 for a game that others have to pay only $20 for, they could pirate it - and the guys behind it get nothing. Or they pay $30 for it and the studio makes at least some money - based on what people here wrote the publisher is happy to make at least some money from the "poor" countries (Russia and China are poor? When did that happen?!)

I think I said clearly, the revenue situation is sufficiently lopsided that a halfway point would damage overall profits while making zero in territories like AF/RU. The "subsidy" argument is dumb. Everyone country's optimal price is already set in stone. There's no reason to make anyone's price go *up*. You could give away digital goods to Martians without inflating anyone's else's prices.

You're the guy who thinks Valve should ignore German laws because, what's Germany going to do, go to war, right? This is probably a pointless discussion.

62. Re: Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway Jun 24, 2016, 11:15 Orogogus

Acleacius wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 10:06:
I'm not saying there aren't some bad players selling keys. I just don't want to cast judgement on everyone and the whole game sales market. This is just the kind of scandal the big corporate's want to push people away from independent sales. This is how big corporate played the Crowd Funding too.

It's not everyone, but if there are no controls on it there's no reason to think the "winners" -- the ones with the lowest prices -- aren't the criminal element. It's just like a game, really; in a competitive game with no cheat protection, how much faith are you going to have in the scores of the people at the top?

PHJF wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 11:06:
Or I will buy it. At the lowest price I can find. Because America is supposedly a capitalist bastion, and to do anything else would be decidedly un-American.

I mean, yeah. "Fuck you, got mine" is basically the American/capitalist motto. The endpoint of the regional pricing argument is basically, do you care about people who can't afford to pay the NA/EU price. One argument is going to be, that's sad and all but tough shit for them, and that's going to be where people are going to have to agree to disagree.

61. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 24, 2016, 11:09 Orogogus

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 10:04:
So, instead of figuring out a single price that will allow you to recover your costs and make a nice profit, you try to segment the market and charge whatever you feel each segment will bear.

I can't say what it's like for entertainment goods, but for my industry that single price would just be the high US/EU price. US/EU generates upward of 85% of the revenue, and to sell to the AF/LA/RU/AS territories you would have to lower the US/EU price far enough to tank your overall profits. If it were required by law to have a single price then those territories just wouldn't get anything, because it wouldn't be worth it.

45. Re: Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway Jun 23, 2016, 20:50 Orogogus

Acleacius wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 20:14:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 19:53:
Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 16:09:

Virtually all of mine are only 10% off. I don't see a single game I want at a sale price I deem fair atm. And G2A is still crushing most of those prices.

Don't buy off of G2A if you can stand it. There was an article on here a few days ago, many stolen credit card rings are buying game keys and reselling them on G2A, and G2A doesn't seem to be doing much at all about it.

More on topic: I may have reached peak Steam ownership for awhile, no good sales on my wishlist at all at the moment.

I saw the article too, but wasn't it sort of speculation? It just seemed like something the RIAA drm, PR people try to push to justify all their lawsuits.

I don't think it's wild speculation. The developer was able to pick a key and show that it was bought off the Humble Store and sold below the buying price. The only place you can buy anything cheaper than G2A is "pay what you want" bundles; other than that they beat everyone. G2A's retailer fraud protection is a paid service. I see a lot of room for doubt.

And I feel like if G2A were legitimately trying to stop fraud, they'd have some pretty big busts under their belt by now. If I were a no-goodnik, I think I'd certainly try this avenue to launder stolen credit cards. As long as there are ton of Cutters out there, G2A has every incentive to do nothing to stop fraud, and no one else would be in a position to stop evil-me.

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 23, 2016, 14:29 Orogogus

Saboth wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 14:14:
xxzone wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 14:04:
I agree. If it wasn't for child pornography, I'd think it was completely nuts as well. I'm all for every advantage to help bust the pedos.

I'm of the mind we've given up too many rights and privacy already in the name of defeating the "terrorists and pedos" (the 2 tired factions trotted out by the government every time they want more power to snoop on all Americans). It's time to start walking back many of those government overreaches that they've given themselves in the past decade.

I don't know if this is relevant, though. Nothing here suggests to me that they don't need a warrant to use the dog.

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 23, 2016, 14:28 Orogogus

xxzone wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 14:04:
I agree. If it wasn't for child pornography, I'd think it was completely nuts as well. I'm all for every advantage to help bust the pedos.

It still sounds very strange to me, though. I'm sure it's not in the feds' interest to let everyone know how they zero in on child pornographers, but it doesn't seem intuitive to me that the main obstacle would be finding where they stored their files. I would have thought if someone's impulse control is poor enough that they go after that forbidden fruit, they probably wouldn't have great discipline about hiding their files and history, either.

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 23, 2016, 14:01 Orogogus

The motivation is kind of nuts, but I was wondering, how can they possibly train a dog to sniff out pornography?

Weber County’s latest recruit has undergone nine months of intensive training on how to sniff out smut, or more specifically, digital devices such as flash drives, DVDs and memory cards that illegal material is typically stashed on.

Okay, so following the link to the original source it seems like this is meant to go after distributors and people harboring child porn? I guess? They cite Jared Fogle's case, and I think the reasoning is that people who possess something as extraordinarily incriminating as child porn don't keep them on their hard drives, but it's all not very clear. If the goal is just to sniff out regular porn in a sweep under a total porn ban, I think you don't need a dog to find storage devices. Go to home, confiscate computer, find porn.

There's probably a more reasonable story somewhere in here, but I'm not sure what it is.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 23, 2016, 13:53 Orogogus

The Revive news is a month old, isn't it? I think it's just belatedly working its way around the general media (specifically, the UK Register).  

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Total War: WARHAMMER
22. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Total War: WARHAMMER May 25, 2016, 12:41 Orogogus

nin wrote on May 25, 2016, 11:38:
JoeNapalm wrote on May 25, 2016, 09:31:
VaranDragon wrote on May 25, 2016, 03:22:
Stop equating theft and software piracy. It's not the same thing and it makes you look stupid.

Pretty sure that taking something without permission is still theft.

They're offering it for sale, you take it without paying, that's stealing.

You can justify it in whatever self-serving manner you want, it is very much the same thing.

-Jn-

Assuming every pirated copy is a lost sale is quite the assumption.

I don't think he or Slick said that? From the individual's standpoint, I don't think their argument is out of left field. The moral problem here is taking something you're supposed to pay for. From that standpoint I don't feel there's much difference between theft and piracy, either. From the company's and the courts' point of view there will be a difference, and that's where lost sales come in, but I don't think Slick or JoeNapalm were talking about that.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: aol lasik May 25, 2016, 04:54 Orogogus

Sepharo wrote on May 25, 2016, 02:11:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 25, 2016, 01:54:
1% ?

http://www.lasikcomplications.com/nightvision.htm

March 2014
An alarming 19.1% of patients enrolled in an FDA clinical trial for LASIK using the latest technology reported worse or significantly worse "night driving difficulty" six months after surgery.

I have to believe a significant amount of that is introduced through bias. I was told repeatedly before my surgery that I might have worse vision when driving at night. It's not great, but as far as I can recall it wasn't great before the surgery either. Driving in the dark with contrasting blinding headlights oncoming is bad for anyone I'd imagine. So when the docs keep telling everyone that they're night driving is going to suffer they can't help but notice how bad it is and chalk it up to the surgery whether it was at fault or not. That's my theory at least.

What's your basis for assuming it's bias? Both my cousin and my brother had LASIK, and said that after the surgery they would see light halos around bright lights, like headlights, at night, something they didn't experience before. They both thought it was annoying, but worth it. There are ton of websites -- most of them the LASIK providers -- warning of this specific effect, and that link says 41% of people experience the same. I wouldn't think that something that would be easy to bias into existence.

1283 Comments. 65 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo