Total Posts
2222 (Senior)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

2222 Comments. 112 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    112  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Mar 3, 2021, 13:58
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2021, 13:58
Mar 3, 2021, 13:58

Sigwolf wrote on Mar 3, 2021, 13:01:
Jivaro wrote on Mar 2, 2021, 14:22:
If you do humble choice, this month is particularly awesome....provided you don't own the headliners already. Control (with all the DLC), Elex, and XCOM Chimera.
Except it's not... wrt Control. No DLC, it is the standard edition only, not the ultimate edition that includes the DLC.

(board won't let me embed the url even with the LongURL tag, or include the link as text because "the word is too long", but the info is available right on the humble site in the Control description)
Yeah, their installation is misleading, which they note as follows:

NOTE: When redeeming Control via Steam key, users may see Control Ultimate Edition in their Steam library and during installation. Please disregard the Ultimate Edition title as the Steam key will only grant Control Standard Edition.

Re: Frogwares Accuses Nacon of Pirating The Sinking City
Mar 2, 2021, 07:07
Re: Frogwares Accuses Nacon of Pirating The Sinking City Mar 2, 2021, 07:07
Mar 2, 2021, 07:07

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 2, 2021, 05:49:
Also, hopefully the French courts understand what exactly the fuck happened, I'm sure it'll get a lot more technical in court.
I think the common sentiment in other EU countries and abroad is that French courts are stupid and corrupt, just total garbage courts that produce garbage rulings.

Re: Morning Metaverse
Mar 1, 2021, 16:54
Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 1, 2021, 16:54
Mar 1, 2021, 16:54

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 1, 2021, 15:39:
Orogogus wrote on Mar 1, 2021, 14:56:
His answer seems to be that elites don't generally get special treatment
Which clearly isn't true.

-- they get the same broadband options available to everyone else. And outside of this case I haven't really heard of any instances where broadband rollouts were made to conform to the residences of telecom executives or politicians.
I'm pretty sure there is a reoccurring problem of rich neighborhoods getting better treatment from all kinds of organizations, government and otherwise. That said, it is possible the Bell CEO really had nothing to do with the selection of that site, nor did the fact he lived there. But I'd be willing to bet the fact it was a rich neighborhood was a factor.

You're talking about the poor, not the non-elite. Which, yes, there's going to be inequity as telecoms decide they can't get a positive ROI out of some neighborhoods. But I don't think that the wealthy or ultra-wealthy usually find themselves entitled beyond the middle class in this particular regard.

Re: Morning Metaverse
Mar 1, 2021, 14:56
Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 1, 2021, 14:56
Mar 1, 2021, 14:56

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 1, 2021, 14:44:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 1, 2021, 13:47:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 1, 2021, 13:43:
Cutter wrote on Mar 1, 2021, 13:33:
That's Canada in a nutshell. We still live under a feudal system where the elites get it all and the rest of us get F'd in the A.
And how is that different from the rest of the world?
In the rest of the world everyone gets shit internet and money doesn't solve that, because regulations and bureaucracy.... still stuck on unmetered 12mbit or metered cable.... and the reasons are multitudinous
I don't understand your response. I was questioning how "the elites get it all and the rest of us get F'd" was any different in Canada than anywhere else in the world.
His answer seems to be that elites don't generally get special treatment -- they get the same broadband options available to everyone else. And outside of this case I haven't really heard of any instances where broadband rollouts were made to conform to the residences of telecom executives or politicians.

Re: Saturday Tech Bits
Feb 28, 2021, 12:11
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2021, 12:11
Feb 28, 2021, 12:11

Socal Coachman wrote on Feb 27, 2021, 19:56:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on Feb 27, 2021, 17:46:
All this for a virus with a 99.98% recovery rate for the majority of us - assuming you even get it-, but we arent allowed to self-police and need to shut down everything so they can have a great reset. YAY. Anyone seen he common cold these days? regular seasonal flu?

vaccine - couldve handed out HCQ as we all knew worked, and was safe. It's a preventative and early treatment with a good success rate, and dirt cheap! Also it's so strange that the media continues to ignore the data and even had to retract their original and misguided stances.

Congratulations, you haven't had the experience of knowing anyone who died of covid. My mother died of it along with a friend of mine. As far as HCQ, please get better advice than from some politician playing doctor. This is from the same guy who thought it was a good idea to inject bleach into the body.

There is also side effects of Covid. My cousin also had covid last march....she still says food smell/taste like charcoal at best and at worst smells/taste like shit. Maybe works as a good diet plan but takes a lot of joy out of eating.

We're at the stage where even people who know others who've died of COVID remain in denial. People who are themselves dying continue to parrot politicized misinformation.

Historically, the West has always resisted safety and health changes, hard. Vaccines, helmets & seat belts, secondhand smoke, firsthand smoke, pasteurization, washing hands before surgery. Naysayers have always dug in their heels and spouted lies to keep doing things they always have, and mere data has never swayed them. I guess antibiotics went down well, because they're one of the only times medicine has been able to present a magic wand that makes things better right away.

Re: Stadia Terraria Uncancelled
Feb 27, 2021, 18:22
Re: Stadia Terraria Uncancelled Feb 27, 2021, 18:22
Feb 27, 2021, 18:22

If Google addressed his grievances, what are people angry about? Would it have been better if Google hadn't done anything, just so people could have their social media spectacle?

Re: Star Wars Pinball VR Announced
Feb 27, 2021, 01:24
Re: Star Wars Pinball VR Announced Feb 27, 2021, 01:24
Feb 27, 2021, 01:24

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 27, 2021, 01:01:
Haha! I like how this got greenlighted, but they made sure to skip Episodes 1,2,3 and 7,8,9. Bravo for cutting your losses, faceless Star Wars upper management.
I assume they'll be DLC. I think they already have tables for Clone Wars and Ep 7 & 8 in either FX3 or the Switch game.

This sounds pretty good, in any case. I really liked Pinball FX2 VR, but the DLC left me pretty cold. This seems more exciting. The "Fan Cave" thing here seems like a natural bonus for VR, and I was really surprised that Oculus's Vader game didn't have anything similar, even after the example of Arkham VR.

Re: Get Sunless Sea for Free
Feb 26, 2021, 04:16
Re: Get Sunless Sea for Free Feb 26, 2021, 04:16
Feb 26, 2021, 04:16

Saboth wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 21:58:
I picked it up, but is this one of those hyper-stressful games like Darkest Dungeon or Dark Souls? I love Lovecraftian stuff, but I don't like brutally punishing games so much these days. I get enough brutal punishment at work.
I never got very far into the game, but I don't think it's like that. I think when you die, you start a new character and can keep some incremental progress. And I think the Lovecraft stuff leans more towards his dream stuff than straight horror and insanity.

Re: System Shock Remake Demo
Feb 25, 2021, 12:04
Re: System Shock Remake Demo Feb 25, 2021, 12:04
Feb 25, 2021, 12:04

Bill Borre wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 11:37:
Is this the same demo that was available previously?

They've updated it. From their posted Kickstarter update, here's what's new in the demo:

NEW Cyberspace Level! (tame those cyber doggies!)
NEW Crew Audio Logs! (no devs this time!)
NEW SHODAN Audio! (Terri is back!)
NEW Dismemberment! (if Viva Pinata were rated M!)
NEW Proximity Mines! (don’t get too close!)
NEW Bugs! (tell us what you find :D)
NEW Enemies! (the repair bot is flamin’ hot!)
NEW GenerativeMusic System! (never the same song twice!)
NEW Snack! (make your selection at the Snacktron!)
NEW Save Feature! (what a novelty!)
NEW Notes System! (USB 1.1 support!)
NEW Difficulty Modes! (crank it all the way up to 3!)
NEW Destructibility! (smash that glass!)
NEW DLSS Support! (update your drivers for your RTX card!)
NEW Trailer! (a ton of new reveals!)
NEW Nightdive intro! (who’s that lurking in the depths?)
NEW Secrets! (first to post a picture of the special skull to our Twitter wins a prize!)

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2021, 12:17.

Re: Gatherings & Competitions
Feb 25, 2021, 02:54
Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 25, 2021, 02:54
Feb 25, 2021, 02:54

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 02:25:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 24, 2021, 15:52:
Jivaro wrote on Feb 24, 2021, 15:33:
I understand their sentiment and appreciate it for it's intention.....but I am skeptical. Hopefully it turns out as intended I guess.

If they build a tolerant environment, shouldn't their wish just happen naturally? Just don't tolerate misogynist and homophobic assholes, and the rest takes care of itself.

Speaking of which, I saw this today and found it interesting:
1 in 6 Gen Z adults are LGBT. And this number could continue to grow.

I don't buy it. Call me oldf-ashioned but I believe that sexual orientation is mostly decided by biology. We are animals after all, thinking ones, but sex is something that is instinctive to us. We don't choose our sexual orientation we are born with it. If that article is factual, then these kids are just caving in to the social norms that are imposed upon them today. It's not only acceptable to be LGBT today, it's actually COOL.
I think the general LGBT position agrees that sexual orientation is something you're born with. It's the Bible thumpers that say it's a (wrong) choice.

Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games
Feb 23, 2021, 13:33
Re: PC Getting Days Gone and More PlayStation Games Feb 23, 2021, 13:33
Feb 23, 2021, 13:33

Hornet303 wrote on Feb 23, 2021, 13:12:
Fion wrote on Feb 23, 2021, 12:44:
Nice. Day's Gone is supposedly really good.

For anyone wondering why Sony is suddenly starting to release PS4 games on PC, well it's because they are missing out on the biggest game market in the world otherwise. For the last several years in a row now, PC games have outsold all console game sales combined.

I was under the impression this is opposite. Can you link me to any articles giving these details? I've always been interested in platform populations.

I don't think it's true. I believe it's agreed that mobile games have been the leader for the past few years, with PC and console clawing for second place, approximately in a 2:1:1 ratio. Where PC revenues are strong, it's in microtransactions, particularly for free-to-play titles and especially in Asia. One report from last year (the first Google hit for PC vs console sales), talking about 2019:

Despite the growth in PC gaming, consoles still make up a larger portion of the gaming market. Consoles account for 30% of the 2019 global gaming market at $45.3 billion. PCs fall slightly behind with 24% market share or $35.3 billion. Mobile, which we’ll discuss shortly, represents the biggest market with 46% share or $68.2 billion.

Feb 22, 2021, 21:17
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2021, 21:17
Feb 22, 2021, 21:17

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 22, 2021, 21:10:
Huh. I wonder where the other reports were getting there 9-10% figures from. *shrug* Whatever.
Winter numbers rather than year-round, I think.

Re: HITMAN 3 Location Imports Now Available
Feb 22, 2021, 12:48
Re: HITMAN 3 Location Imports Now Available Feb 22, 2021, 12:48
Feb 22, 2021, 12:48

Blockenstein wrote on Feb 22, 2021, 10:43:
The features you dismissed with your "gimme a break" comment are exactly why games on EGS are sub-standard. Epic laid out a roadmap almost two years ago laying out all the features they would bring to EGS 'soon', which included most of the standard things everyone expects from a modern digital storefront. They missed every milestone and never delivered on any of it. If your game and/or platform is lacking features that are standard everywhere else, then by definition your product is sub-standard. That is literally what it means.
I haven't looked at their roadmap, but I think Epic has implemented cloud saves, DLC, wishlists, refunds and a download manager in the last few years. So they must have achieved some of their goals.

Aside from chat, achievements and multiplayer, I can think of the following benefits that Steam offers:
- Proton to support Linux gaming
- Physical gift cards for people who want to buy digital games with cash
- Remote Play to stream to a TV or other device in the home
- Steam Link to stream to tablets, phones and other devices
- Remote Play Together to play co-op games with friends on a single account
- Steam Workshop for games that don't have all their mods hosted on NexusMods or the like
- Global controller remapping
- Family share to let more than one person play games from the same account

Re: Epic Files EU Antitrust Complaint Against Apple
Feb 18, 2021, 18:57
Re: Epic Files EU Antitrust Complaint Against Apple Feb 18, 2021, 18:57
Feb 18, 2021, 18:57

jdreyer wrote on Feb 18, 2021, 18:42:
4) I provided a more modern example with Lego, which happens annually with Walmart and Target.
I can't speak to the Legos, but I know a lot people dislike Walmart having Transformers exclusives.

Does the car rebranding exclusivity thing affect the product? Like, does Dodge or whoever offer different add-ons or warranties than if Ford or GM had the partnership?

Re: Epic Files EU Antitrust Complaint Against Apple
Feb 18, 2021, 14:35
Re: Epic Files EU Antitrust Complaint Against Apple Feb 18, 2021, 14:35
Feb 18, 2021, 14:35

Beamer wrote on Feb 18, 2021, 12:18:
Even if EGS hit parity with Steam, you think you'd go there? You already have Steam installed on your computer. You already have a large library of games on it. You have friends, you have screenshots, you have achievements, you have cards that got crafted or whatever stuff they've done in sales. You have all your time spent in games. Everything in one place.

Getting someone to switch from that is near impossible. Parity alone does not do it. Not to mention, Steam has had 17 years to build its features, along with billions upon billions of revenue to reinvest.

You complain about a "spoiled rich kid," but can't give a single real reason why anyone would go to them instead of Steam if they simply had parity, and you also seem to misunderstand how hard it is to get to parity. I'm not asking you to do they're job, I'm asking you to give a suggestion for how they beat Steam if they are selling the same exact products at the same exact prices (remember, retailers don't control the pricing on these storefronts) with Steam having a 17 year head start.

Flipped around, this sounds like an argument that customers should hate the EGS since it will never achieve parity and the only path forward is to use exclusives to force people to play games on a feature-starved platform.

But some suggestions I can throw in:

• Just straight up steal GOG's hook and start offering games DRM-free. GOG's not overtaking Steam, but they're not going anywhere, either, and there are people who buy from them over Steam.

• Make those mobile storefronts they keep talking about in their lawsuits, and implement mobile-PC cross-buy.

• Create predatory metagames like Steam's trading cards and achievements. Free Fortnite items for games you own (unless that's already a thing). Publish some free supercasual games, like a deckbuilder or a match-3 and have those free cards, items, badges, etc. show up there, too. I don't think it would be hard to out-predatorize Steam with more prizes and bonuses for people with huge libraries of games.

• Implement a less restrictive version of Steam's Family Sharing that lets two people play off the same account at the same time. Maybe a feature where the parent account buys a game and the family shares can join their multiplayer session for free.

• Set up a calendar with a schedule of events. Freeplay Fridays, play with a developer on Wednesday, free pretend money if you play on Monday, whatever.

• Once there's some kind of hook, anything, for buying on Epic, put in something like GOG Connect to give people's accounts a jumpstart.

• Establish a subscription service, which seems to be all the rage.

• Work with a VR headset manufacturer like HP or HTC and go after the Oculus Quest with a competing low-cost standalone headset with PC game cross-buy through the EGS, but doesn't make you connect your Facebook account.

Re: Morning Mobilization
Feb 11, 2021, 22:41
Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 11, 2021, 22:41
Feb 11, 2021, 22:41

1badmf wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 22:31:
my guess, she was going to be a main character in the new series Star Wars Rangers of the Republic. ranger has the connotation of frontier lawman, as in the texas rangers of wild west fame, and at one point in season 2 of mando she got a badge and re-upped with the republic. now she's gone, but she'll be easily replaceable other than her screen presence. she was a terrible actress but her physicality was unique. maybe they'll cast another former MMA queen rhonda rousey. i have no idea if she can act, but that doesn't seem to matter.
I think Ronda's politics attract the same flak (she expressed anti-trans views, and retweeted a Sandy Hook conspiracy video, which she later apologized for), and people also thought her performance in the latest Mortal Kombat game wasn't great.

Re: Human: Fall Flat Sells 25M
Feb 11, 2021, 21:06
Re: Human: Fall Flat Sells 25M Feb 11, 2021, 21:06
Feb 11, 2021, 21:06

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 20:55:
I have a vague memory of some other game similar to this where it was like a 100 person at a time obstacle course or this an update to that game?
That's Fall Guys.

Feb 9, 2021, 21:19
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2021, 21:19
Feb 9, 2021, 21:19

jdreyer wrote on Feb 9, 2021, 20:22:
We can argue about the meaning of "imminent" and "terminal" but the man was not on his death bed with cancer. He got chemo last fall, so clearly the doctors thought his cancer was treatable. And he appeared to be feeling well enough to be in DC voting and introducing legislation. Here he is on Jan 13 voting "no" on the Trump impeachment. And still in DC on Jan. 29 introducing new legislation. These aren't the actions of a man whose cancer is slowing him down much. To claim he died of cancer is disingenuous at best.
And what would you expect to see if it had been lung cancer that killed him? That he'd be in a hospital bed, or tottering around in pain, for months in a steady decline? One study shows median length of terminal hospital stays at 21 days (for people who didn't die in their first stay). This study indicates that cancer cases can exhibit varying patterns of decline at the end of life. You seem to be operating under an assumption that being hospitalized for COVID and for lung cancer are identifiably different, and it's not clear to me if that's necessarily true.

I don't think he was in DC to introduce his legislation. According to this news article, he was quarantined on 1/15. On 1/21 he announced his positive result, and said he would be working from home that week. On 1/25 he and his wife were admitted to Baylor, and my impression is that he never left. So there could be some mechanism for him to introduce a bill without being in DC.

Re: Warhammer 40,000 Battlesector Announced
Feb 9, 2021, 17:24
Re: Warhammer 40,000 Battlesector Announced Feb 9, 2021, 17:24
Feb 9, 2021, 17:24

Overon wrote on Feb 9, 2021, 16:51:
Looks like a mobile game in screenshots on Steam. Looks like another one of those shovelware developers Game Worshop loves so much.
Eh, they probably like collecting the license fees from anyone willing to pay, and I think that's a pretty good way to go. Better than exclusive licenses or keeping your IP locked up in the basement where no one will ever see it.

Feb 9, 2021, 17:15
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2021, 17:15
Feb 9, 2021, 17:15

jdreyer wrote on Feb 9, 2021, 16:17:
Right, and Wright may have had stage 4 cancer, but he wasn't hospitalized until he caught COVID. So he wasn't in danger of imminent death from his cancer. If he hadn't caught COVID, he'd still be alive, even though he may have had only weeks or months left.
I believe the balance of the evidence supports this interpretation, but I think you're overstating the certainty in a manner that encourages resistance in WaltC and his kind. You said Wright wasn't terminal, but he was. You said he wasn't in danger of imminent death from cancer, but ~26 months into a 16 month life expectancy suggests otherwise. He was hospitalized after he caught COVID, but it seems like he could have been hospitalized at any time for the cancer, too, and passed away in a similar timeframe. I don't see anything that says lung cancer-induced and COVID-induced respiratory failure look wildly different, so I don't think it's impossible for a guy to die of lung cancer after testing positive for COVID. Maybe there are specialists who can explain how they can be differentiated, but it's not presented in the articles I looked at.

I think the fact that Wright died pretty much exactly on the COVID clock should make WaltC at least consider the alternate view, but of course it doesn't. It's not conclusive, but it tips the odds. The fact that Wright's wife, who also tested positive, was hospitalized with him is the kind of coincidence that fools believe in, and where one crosses the line from looking at things with a predisposed opinion to willfully ignoring evidence they don't like.
2222 Comments. 112 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    112  ] Older