Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1878 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 10, 2019, 07:03 Orogogus

NKD wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 21:33:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 20:17:

It's a technical issue, not a political one. Rape and serial murder are when it's easiest to gather and identify DNA belonging to a suspect. As much as the police might like to run DNA checks for traffic violations, it's not feasible. What kind of crimes do you imagine them abusing DNA evidence for? I really see this as, "Fuck the cops, I'm not turning in my rapist family member."

They'll expand their DNA usage if they have more and cheaper access to the process, which because of the march of technology is inevitable. And people take DNA as some kind of smoking gun. DNA can be in the "wrong place at the wrong time" as much as an individual with that DNA can, with the exception of obvious shit like rape where the DNA is found in a place where there's really only one way it could get there.

Technical issues are the least compelling reason to not worry about this sort of shit, because a lot of the privacy concerns we have today were science fiction a few decades ago with people probably saying similar things.

"It's not feasible to have license plate readers and cameras all over the place." was no doubt a very common refrain in 1989.

More and cheaper access still relies on collection, and DNA is too fragile to be collected from anything but body fluids or living cells. There's only so much you can expand the scope from that basis.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 9, 2019, 20:17 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 12:50:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 06:16:
NKD wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 05:59:
Bill Borre wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 20:20:
Has anyone here done this? I can't think of why anyone would. I mean, I'm not planning going on a crime spree, but I'm certainly not going to make it easy for anyone to obtain such personal information.

If it was just me being put at risk, I might do it if I was curious enough about my geneology. But the thing is they use DNA to find relatives of people who may have committed crimes. I don't want to be some unwitting snitch that gets some relative busted for some crime.

Why not? They're not running DNA searches to catch shoplifters or software pirates. This is going to be rape and serial murder.
Yet. You may have noticed the somewhat nationalist/racist turn the US has taken of late. This kind of thing creates a turnkey authoritarian state.

It's a technical issue, not a political one. Rape and serial murder are when it's easiest to gather and identify DNA belonging to a suspect. As much as the police might like to run DNA checks for traffic violations, it's not feasible. What kind of crimes do you imagine them abusing DNA evidence for? I really see this as, "Fuck the cops, I'm not turning in my rapist family member."

4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 9, 2019, 06:16 Orogogus

NKD wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 05:59:
Bill Borre wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 20:20:
Has anyone here done this? I can't think of why anyone would. I mean, I'm not planning going on a crime spree, but I'm certainly not going to make it easy for anyone to obtain such personal information.

If it was just me being put at risk, I might do it if I was curious enough about my geneology. But the thing is they use DNA to find relatives of people who may have committed crimes. I don't want to be some unwitting snitch that gets some relative busted for some crime.

Why not? They're not running DNA searches to catch shoplifters or software pirates. This is going to be rape and serial murder.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

88. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2019, 12:15 Orogogus

It wraps for me, but the Amazon ad on the front page, the forum controls when reading threads, and this text box and the posting controls are too wide and are causing a scroll bar.  

86. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2019, 11:34 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 07:06:
Blue wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 02:37:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 01:34:
Blizzard Adds President Xi To 'Overwatch' Roster.

As if you needed any more reason to boycott ActiBlizz.

When you have to say this, you *know* you've made the wrong choice:

Blizzard has denied that the move was made to appease China.

To be clear, that's a satirical article.

Poe's Law. I'd never heard of BabylonBee.

They're a right-wing, evangelical Christian version of The Onion. People who find Fox News to be center or left-wing tend to find it funny and balanced.

But, come on, that article didn't look even a little real. Did you stop reading after the appease China sentence?

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits

29. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 28, 2019, 12:16 Orogogus

Joyride wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 19:19:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 19:12:
Joyride wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 18:57:
dRumpf has done more for the US in 2 years than Hillary has done her entire lifetime in politics, or Pelosi, or Schumer, or Mitch Mcconnel etc.
And this is what mental illness looks like in the forums.
Please go back to lurking, you're scaring the rest of us who have a brain.
https://trumpgolfcount.com/

As if Obozo didn't play plenty of golf and take plenty of vacations on the US taxpayer's dime, oh he also gave billions to Iran and empowered ISIS, who's leader is now dead thanks to our military.

How'd that Arab Spring go for Obama? This is exactly what I mean, you guys are so damn partisan you can't even give credit where it's due. It's mental insanity.

Trump gets grief about golf because he made such a big deal about Obama doing it, and then he went and spent more than twice as much time golfing after saying he wouldn't have time to play. He invited this controversy, just like he did with his tax returns.

I think it's a much milder hypocrisy than when you used to write gigantic screeds about Obama abusing the power of the executive branch and making himself an emperor, and now ignore a president who's exceeded that in every metric you used to rail about. Because you're so non-partisan and all.

News Comments > EA Steam Return Hint

37. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 16:40 Orogogus

Avus wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 12:04:
Orogogus wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 11:49:
If they lost 10% of their sales by leaving Steam, not paying Valve's 30% cut would have more than made up for it.

Why? Less people buying game = more profit??

If EA sells 100 copies of a $100 game on Steam, their revenue after Valve's cut is, theoretically:
100 x 0.7($100) = $7,000

If they sell 10% less, but don't have to pay Valve, their revenue is:
90 x 1.0(($100) = $9,000

Less people doesn't = more profit, not paying the middleman is what = more profit.

27. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 27, 2019, 11:49 Orogogus

Acleacius wrote on Oct 27, 2019, 10:46:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 26, 2019, 21:02:
Acleacius wrote on Oct 26, 2019, 20:46:
Personally I'm sure they lost more than 10%, leaving Steam.

Personally I'm sure you have never read a single EA financial report or you'd know that's bullshit.
So your saying you read their FinRep and found it was all sunshine and lollipops? Giggle

There's no way ea didn't take a huge hit, leaving Steam. Personally 10% is an extremely conservative estimate. There's no way ea would broadcast publicly how much they lost directly related to leaving Steam. On the contrary they would do everything possible to cover it up.

If they lost 10% of their sales by leaving Steam, not paying Valve's 30% cut would have more than made up for it.

8. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 26, 2019, 15:05 Orogogus

It's also possible that the subscriptions aren't selling. I'm kind of dubious how much appetite gamers really have for multiple subscription services, and publisher-specific subscriptions seem like an especially poor value.  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2019, 01:18 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 22, 2019, 20:12:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 22, 2019, 19:57:
Californians can't have a stock-traded utility arbitrarily deciding to shut off power to almost a million people or more at random.
Okay, I'll admit I was cutting them more slack than they probably deserve. However, I was trying to focus on where they are, not how they got there. The power shut offs aren't arbitrary given the fact they've been successfully sued for causing fires. Like I said, it comes down to death by fire or death by power loss -- I'm sure they'll be happy to do whatever the state tells them to do.

Well, I'm pretty sure the state told them to spend more on infrastructure maintenance and less on stockholder dividends and lobbying efforts.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization

8. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 19, 2019, 18:41 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 09:01:
ForgedReality wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 01:38:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 22:22:
I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes... or something.

When's the last time you saw a hotcake for sale?
1) Exactly. 2) Yeah, I know hotcakes are simply pancakes. 3) The reason McDonalds pancakes are good, they have the good stuff in them, lard, salt, sugar. Three of the things almost all of us get too much of...

No, I mean, McDonald's calls them hotcakes.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

33. Re: Gone Gold - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Oct 19, 2019, 18:37 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 13:45:
Orogogus wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 02:31:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 01:53:
Creston wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 00:28:
The best thing I read about it is that it's "safe". Which pretty much describes EA to a T. They haven't done anything BUT "safe" shit with the Star Wars franchise.

Disney should sue these fuckers for how they've mistreated it.

I believe you got it all wrong. I am 100% sure that Disney IS the problem. They want family friendly Star Wars games for pure marketing purposes. They don't understand or give a fuck about gaming.

Look at the complete dweebish pussyface main character. I doubt that's an EA decision. EA/Respawn would have probably done a typical gaming cliche generic "badass" guy. I'd bet real money Disney asked for a kiddo character so the teenie Episode IX audience (Rey and Kylo fanboys/fangirls) could identify with this cheesestick.

OT Luke was more dweeb than badass.
In the first movie, yeah. But he was a total badass in RotJ.

Eh, even there I don't think he's an action hero in the Schwarzenegger or Willis tradition. He didn't seem much different from the main character here. Han Solo filled the man's man role.

And the RotJ sail barge was the original wiffle bat fight. Lightsabers didn't get to be really badass until Phantom Menace.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

12. Re: Gone Gold - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Oct 19, 2019, 02:31 Orogogus

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 01:53:
Creston wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 00:28:
The best thing I read about it is that it's "safe". Which pretty much describes EA to a T. They haven't done anything BUT "safe" shit with the Star Wars franchise.

Disney should sue these fuckers for how they've mistreated it.

I believe you got it all wrong. I am 100% sure that Disney IS the problem. They want family friendly Star Wars games for pure marketing purposes. They don't understand or give a fuck about gaming.

Look at the complete dweebish pussyface main character. I doubt that's an EA decision. EA/Respawn would have probably done a typical gaming cliche generic "badass" guy. I'd bet real money Disney asked for a kiddo character so the teenie Episode IX audience (Rey and Kylo fanboys/fangirls) could identify with this cheesestick.

OT Luke was more dweeb than badass.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 19, 2019, 01:51 Orogogus

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 01:38:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 22:22:
I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes... or something.

When's the last time you saw a hotcake for sale?

McDonald's sells them. They're just pancakes.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2019, 01:48 Orogogus

bigspender wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 00:56:
That's super cool, but even if we find a way to travel to them, stepping one will likely mean instant death from some microbe that our immune system can't handle. To live on another planet would be like living as a bubble boy here on earth.

That's probably not how it would work. The immune system provides a broad defense against foreign material in the body, and except where open wounds are involved, most things that defeat the immune system have spent thousands of years evolving ways to do so. It's at least as likely that extraterrestrial microbes wouldn't have entry and reproductive pathways ready-made to infect terrestrial life. For an alien virus to hijack our DNA replication mechanisms just like earth viruses do would be like hacking the alien mothership with a MacBook in Independence Day, but more so and in reverse.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 10:04 Orogogus

Nofactor97 wrote on Oct 17, 2019, 18:41:
The climate is always changing . . . and according to scientific data has done this several times.

But lets say you are 100 percent right. We are the SOLE cause of the warming of the planet. Explain to me how you get every country on the planet to change their ways? You think most Americans want to sacrifice everything while all other third world countries striving for a better life fire the coal up?

It is utopian naivety to think that would happen.

The only two countries that really matter in the warming debate are the US and China. Russia and India are a somewhat distant third and fourth, and everyone else is small beans. The myth of third world countries and all their coal is an absurdity; they don't have steelmaking or heavy industry, and they're not all driving cars.

China's major problem is their population, and they've already committed atrocities to level that out. Per capita, the US is a much heavier polluter than the European or East Asian countries, on the order of 2-3 times, and invests less into cleaner/renewable energy, by 1.5-4.5 times. Somewhere between "what we're doing now" and "sitting around in the dark" is moving away from coal and petroleum, and cleaner, more efficient cars.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2019, 01:43 Orogogus

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Oct 15, 2019, 13:21:
Is it so hard to believe there's people looking to get paid so they'll do research on a viewpoint and skew it enough to get more grants? There's been entire research groups dedicated to Anti-Vax profiteering. Climate Change is no different. There's dickheads on both sides.

This seems incredibly facile on the face of it, on the level of "Trump won the popular vote." You have to believe that millions of people can keep a secret. Somehow none of these perpetrators of a global conspiracy between academia and government, across multiple countries, have blown the whistle, no one has leaked memos where research was purposely falsified. No one has admitted buying politicians with money from Big Green. You can point to specific people behind the anti-vax cause, but you don't see the equivalent on the manmade climate change argument. What villain is handing out all these malicious grants, in every developed country on earth? Surely all this organized misinformation would have to be organized by a mastermind, or a cabal, right?

On the other hand you do have repeated incidents of energy companies and heavy industry funding studies with the opposite goal, hiding their own research that showed results they didn't want to see, of them spending lavishly on politicians to do what they say.

I think the "you owe oil companies, so give it up" argument pretty much says it all. There was a pretty good article about former denialist John Kaiser, where he described the process. Evidence and facts don't matter, you start with what you believe is right and work backwards from there. Someone working the other way would have said, oil has done all these things for us, but what are the consequences?

News Comments > On Microsoft Flight Simulator VR Plans

16. Re: Re: On Microsoft Flight Simulator VR Plans Oct 15, 2019, 02:39 Orogogus

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 15, 2019, 00:06:
I dunno, I have a Rift and the resolution sucks ass. Anything with an instrument panel with even the slightest bit of detail is going to suck. I can just barely stomach Elite Dangerous with my headset.

I mean, the Index isn't a Rift CV1. Resolution and image quality have only improved since then, except for blacks. I have a CV1, too, and I can believe that the blurriness problem has been getting better and better across the Vive Pro, the Odyssey/O+, the Reverb and the Index.

News Comments > blitzchung Speaks Out

3. Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 13, 2019, 14:24 Orogogus

SirKnight wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 13:25:
"In the future, I will be more careful on that and express my opinions or show my support to Hong Kong on my personal platforms."

I can't agree with this. This is just succumbing to political correctness. If someone is trying to spread a message of truth due to some injustice, then you should take advantage of ALL possible platforms to reach as many people as possible. Don't be afraid to speak the truth, even if it's hard for some to hear, that's their problem. Now that he did this, many more know about the situation that otherwise would not. The truth is appropriate everywhere.

Of course that's morally right, but it's also a lot easier to say when you're not the one whose income is in the balance. For a sponsor, there's very little benefit to hiring someone whose bonus perk, in video game terms, is to cut off the Chinese income stream by ignoring their (currently vague and arbitrary) rules. I'd respect blitzchung if he stood by his guns, but I don't hold it against him for not choosing martrydom, especially when the issue is almost certain to be brutally settled within a few months.

And it seems to me that it's only succumbing to political correctness when you agree with their message. The only people in the West rooting for the Hong Kong police are emigrants from China, but I don't see many conservative's standing up for Megan Rapinoe or Colin Kaepernick's right to use their celebrity as a platform. I've seen plenty of "Shut up and do your job" levied against them.

EDIT: Oh, man, it looks this is already being worked over thoroughly in the other thread. Oh well.

News Comments > PC EARTH DEFENSE FORCE- IRON RAIN Next Week

6. Re: PC EARTH DEFENSE FORCE- IRON RAIN Next Week Oct 12, 2019, 11:27 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 12, 2019, 09:04:
Orogogus wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 23:27:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 19:32:
This is not EDF imo... no more Sandlot and D3 Publishing apparently canned Sandlot forcing them to produce DLC for EDF5 while at the same time preventing them from making any updates.

EDF5 isn't even listed on the Sandlot homepage anymore, there must be a reason for that.... and the cause for it is likely the Publisher. So skip.

sandlot.jp
Isn't it right there, the second game?

I haven't heard of Sandlot being let go, and the DLC for EDF 5 is basically the same as that for EDF 4.1 -- nothing in the mission packs or DLC weapons could have taken much time to put together. Do you have a link to news of them being canned?

Unless my Japanese is bad (And it is, but not THAT bad) it says "past projects" With payment and dev cycle starting 2017 and ending 2019. In my interpretation I read it as "dev got canned by the Publisher"

How else you explain
other team with 1 game developed on steam (This one)
UE4 engine
ZERO marketing

Maybe D3 Publishing doesn't have the monies anymore.

Remember, D3 is owned by Bandai Namco

Where are you seeing the past projects, and the mentions of 2017 and 2019? If it's for EDF 5 specifically, I think it would mean that 2017 was the PS4 release and 2019 was the Steam release, and now that game's done.

>How else you explain
>other team with 1 game developed on steam (This one)
>UE4 engine
>ZERO marketing

UE4 and low marketing seem par for the course. I actually saw more marketing for EDF 5 (like, three trailers) than the past games, and I don't think anyone was expecting a more modern engine. A different team releasing an EDF game on Steam isn't unprecedented, either (Insect Armageddon).

1878 Comments. 94 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >