Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1836 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mike Rose Starts G2A Petition
24. Re: Mike Rose Starts G2A Petition Jul 9, 2019, 01:19 Orogogus

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 13:10:
(which would be a valid use of the Fair Sale Doctrine argument in the US)

It's "First Sale Doctrine."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2019, 20:12 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Jun 30, 2019, 14:42:
Bizarrely, bananas are mentioned in music more than any other fruit is.

Might have something to do with... the shape?

I think most common fruits, like apples, oranges and watermelons, don't rhyme well. Berries (and cherries) do, but there are so many that their count gets diluted.

News Comments > Gabe Newell Almost Says Three
24. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 30, 2019, 01:47 Orogogus

Slick wrote on Jun 29, 2019, 23:01:
Steam regularly makes more money from a game sale by ringing your credit card than the entire studio that made the game sees. This is a bean-counter "suit" wet dream.

When does that happen? It's been generally reported that Steam (and GOG, and Apple) take 30%, or a straight $100 for games that come in through Steam Direct. Or are you comparing revenue to profit?

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 21, 2019, 03:22 Orogogus

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 00:36:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 20, 2019, 22:18:
If all it takes it looking down a lot then there are probably a ton of professions that have even bigger "horns".

Seriously. I was expecting some radiation based link, but just leaning your head forward? What about people who spend a lot of time looking down at a desk, to write/draw/read etc. seems like it's needlessly targeting cellphone/tablet users. Not that people shouldn't spend LESS time on said devices, but anything that has you tilting your head forward for hours probably causes these horns/spurs.

I feel like most people at a desk job spend most of their time looking at a monitor, at most probably a -30 degree angle. I guess -45 degrees if it's a laptop. I could see the angle on phone use being a little steeper than that, more like staring at the near edge of your desk all day.

News Comments > Heavy Rain PC Demo
21. Re: Heavy Rain PC Demo May 28, 2019, 11:35 Orogogus

CJ_Parker wrote on May 26, 2019, 08:37:
[Sony is doing it right. They're like "This one's on Playstation only. Take it or leave it.". They are smart by avoiding all the bad PR that comes with fucking over other platform gamers by tease & denial. They are 100% straight in their denial... no lies, no maybes, no false promises, no bullshit.

This isn't true. Mystery is-it-or-isn't-it timed exclusives is exactly what they're doing with PSVR games. Most games (Arkham VR, Battlezone, Robinson the Journey, a bunch of others) have come over to PC after a year or so of exclusive time, but a handful have stayed exclusive, presumably because Sony paid money to make it so but haven't ever fessed up, like Resident Evil 7 VR and the Battlefront Rogue One add-on. And while you can say games like Wipeout or Astro Bot are basically console-only titles funded by Sony, some of the PSVR exclusives, timed or permanent, have historically been PC games. Borderlands 2 wasn't a console-only game, or Battlefront, or Skyrim.

News Comments > 7 Games Free During Steam Spring Cleaning Event
11. Re: 7 Games Free During Steam Spring Cleaning Event May 25, 2019, 02:25 Orogogus

Creston wrote on May 25, 2019, 00:22:
"Complete daily tasks?" Fuck you, Valve, I already have a fucking job.

Maybe, I don't know, do something fucking COOL or offer some actual free shit instead of a two day free trial for which you have to do 'chores'.

Three years from now, Valve will be sitting there wondering why nobody is going to their store anymore.

You don't have to do any chores to play the games, it's just the usual free weekend. I'm pretty sure Steam doesn't have the functionality to give you a game if you have x badge or achievement.

News Comments > Bungie Removing Wavesplitter From PC Destiny 2
7. Re: Bungie Removing Wavesplitter From PC Destiny 2 Apr 10, 2019, 11:49 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 10, 2019, 10:02:
Weird. I don't recall seeing this before. Different versions of a game on different platforms for exclusivity reasons? Not a particularly promising development...

I think Soul Calibur had different characters, like Link or Kratos, depending on what platform you bought it on.

Am I supposed to give this a free pass? It does seem pretty shitty.

News Comments > Ex-Valve Dev on Epic Games Store
79. Re: Ex-Valve Dev on Epic Games Store Apr 9, 2019, 09:06 Orogogus

Nucas wrote on Apr 8, 2019, 17:13:
i don't personally like it, i like the social features of steam and having all my games in one place, but its over. valve slept on their mountain of gold like a morbidly obese dragon for over a decade, while they jerked off in their retarded libertarian ~flat hierarchy~ office, doing fuck-all, and here we are.

Given the current situation, it's hard to say that this was the wrong strategy. If anything, they should have spent less on features, and gone all in on squashing competitors from day one. They could have tried to become a patent troll, I guess. But if Epic can launch a storefront with basically no features and only suffer 5-10% lower sales, then improving the customer experience was probably money poorly spent.

News Comments > Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives "PROCOMPETITIVE"
97. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 20, 2019, 11:11 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 07:33:
You're right that consumers wouldn't use this if there were no exclusives, which is why there are exclusives. it's literally impossible to have feature parity at launch, nor to get it without a user base. So if people want a second viable digital games store, this is the only way.

Ya. Which, whatever. People can be mad about it. Origin has been there for years now, and I still don't see why anyone would buy a non-exclusive from them. As far as I know they're around because that's where you buy their first party titles. Which is great for them, since they don't have to pay Valve 30%. A little sucky for consumers but, well, life's tough.

What I don't really get about Epic is that I think their storefront is feature-deficient enough that as a consumer I would just buy my exclusive and leave. Just like Origin -- no reviews/ratings, no shopping cart. I don't think it's a viable window shopping experience. What I've seen of their roadmap doesn't even aim as high as the level of feature parity Oculus eventually achieved. So if I were Epic I would have held off on buying exclusives until I thought my product was good enough that I might put up double digits against Valve. Saving themselves 30% is a totally valid reason to launch a storefront, but buying exclusives is generating ill will while initiating a race to the bottom and probably not generating significant side sales of non-exclusives. You don't usually make much money on sweetheart exclusive deals, and the downside would seem to outweigh the benefit.

News Comments > Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives "PROCOMPETITIVE"
92. Re: Epic's Sweeney Calls Exclusives Mar 20, 2019, 03:30 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 18:08:
Beamer wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 13:37:

I'm sure they are. But, as you know, building something like that takes a very long time, and requires a lot of testing. It took Valve about a decade to do it. No one launches with all those features, because the tens to hundreds of millions it takes is a foolish gamble, but if you're already driving revenue and consumers are coming, you can keep iterating and building.
Exactly right. This is how you build good, usable software. Start with a minimum viable product, then iterate features.

I can't speak to software, but in manufactured goods, if you don't have feature parity or a pricing edge, you're often not viable. Why would I buy a non-exclusive game from the Epic store? Steam has streaming and broadcasting, global controller rebinding, the mods workshop, gifting, wishlists and sale notifications, tags, gift cards, a shopping cart, DLC, remote access, VR support, family sharing, family view, a music player, the ability to add non-Steam games, and cloud saves. Epic's big customer-facing features are not having forums or reviews. I feel like I'd have to be stupid to buy from them if I have a choice.

The one that really baffles me is the shopping cart. Origin and the Oculus store don't have one either, and I don't get it. When Steam has a big sale sometimes I'll go through my wishlist and put some games in my cart, prune it down and buy a bunch at once if I make my save against buyer's remorse; with the other storefronts I have to roll against that with every single title I purchase. I don't know why the Oculus store even bothers to have themed sales. Is it that there's a super expensive patent on electronic shopping carts, and that's why these guys don't have it?

That said, Oculus seems to have a much better hook than Epic or Origin in that it's tangibly easier to browse and buy stuff from inside their headset compared to Steam. I think it's the only storefront that actually puts up numbers comparable to Steam on multiplatform titles (comparable meaning 20-40%; I gather GOG, Origin, itch.io and the like are lucky to get mid-single digits). I've hardly bought any non-exclusives from them, but I can at least see why people would. For Origin and Epic I just don't see it at all.

News Comments > DiRT Rally 2.0 Getting Oculus Rift Support
8. Re: DiRT Rally 2.0 Getting Oculus Rift Support Feb 10, 2019, 12:28 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Feb 9, 2019, 22:15:
Does getting Oculus support preclude Vive (or WMR)?

Dirt Rally 1 is still Rift-only, so in this case at least I'd say probably, yes. And the tweet implies that Oculus had a direct hand in making this happen, so they may have funded the VR work.

News Comments > Humble Offers LEGO: The Hobbit For Free
9. Re: Humble Offers LEGO: The Hobbit For Free Dec 14, 2018, 02:29 Orogogus

MattyC wrote on Dec 13, 2018, 23:56:
free adverb
without payment

:/

That's not an adverb.

News Comments > ZeniMax and Facebook Settling VR Lawsuit
9. Re: ZeniMax and Facebook Settling VR Lawsuit Dec 12, 2018, 22:42 Orogogus

"While we dislike litigation,

No they don't! They're the lawsuit company! It's what they do.

My read of the litigation is that Carmack might have been stealing technology in a way that hurt ZeniMax if you believe they were working on a VR headset. That's the basis of the injunction they tried to have put in. But if you believe that, you're either stupid, or you've got an axe to grind, like CJ Parker, who's basically made up entirely of axes to grind. Zenimax doesn't make VR headsets, they weren't planning to make VR headsets, and they're never going to make a VR headset. What they make are lawsuits.

News Comments > Beyond Good and Evil 2 Videos
20. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Videos Dec 12, 2018, 22:37 Orogogus

rjdriver wrote on Dec 12, 2018, 16:24:
Red886 wrote on Dec 12, 2018, 10:49:
ccop means no strong SP set scenes ala Bioshock / HL2 / Rise of the Tomb Raider / Mass Effect 1-2-3 etc ( as an example) , so adding in coop is a huge loss

We'll have to see how they handle it. If they control how far apart coop players can get from each other. they can still steer them back together for an occasional such event. But based on how Ubi used those mandatory "get caught by the enemy no matter what you do" set scenes in Far Cry 5, I can certainly live without them.

System Shock 2 and Halo are singleplayer-oriented games with co-op. Both blithely ignore the second player in their set pieces. I thought Dead Space 3 did it pretty well. The co-op/singleplayer was fine, I thought the microtransactiony crafting was the bigger problem.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
8. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 7, 2018, 11:14 Orogogus

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 7, 2018, 05:24:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 7, 2018, 02:04:
I mean, I think Sony hates PC gaming more than Microsoft does. Xbox One stuff comes out on PC through Play Anywhere, while PC-originated properties like Borderlands, Psychonauts and Skyrim end up as timed PSVR exclusives. It's unfortunate that they screw up everything they touch, but I think they've actually been contributing to PC games in the last few years, while Nintendo has been zero and Sony has been anti-.

No, they don't. Sony just do their own thing. They have no stake in PC gaming and it is their prerogative to skip the PC as a platform. They simply do not care about the PC and that's fine.

I'd have agreed until PSVR. Games that have been PC franchises are now becoming timed exclusives. If they really didn't care about PC VR then these games would be releasing simultaneously. Games like Astro Bot or Ace Combat, whatever; like PHJF says, those are console games that sometimes come over to PC. But Skyrim wasn't primarily a console game. Resident Evil used to be, but the new RE is available on PC, just not for PC VR. For the timed exclusives, Sony is spending money for games not to come out for PC VR (right away). There's an argument for how they're funding these games and they deserve the exclusives, but at the end of the day, that's what they're doing with their cash.

They have had one goal since introducing the first Xbox in 2001: Convince PC gamers that the PC is a shitty gaming platform and that Xbox is the only God thou shalt have. They want to sell us their precious little boxes, their peripherals and their games and their subs.

Again, if that was their only goal, it would be pretty easy not to release things through Play Anywhere. It's more work to have it there than not, and it doesn't really help the Xbox.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 7, 2018, 02:04 Orogogus

I mean, I think Sony hates PC gaming more than Microsoft does. Xbox One stuff comes out on PC through Play Anywhere, while PC-originated properties like Borderlands, Psychonauts and Skyrim end up as timed PSVR exclusives. It's unfortunate that they screw up everything they touch, but I think they've actually been contributing to PC games in the last few years, while Nintendo has been zero and Sony has been anti-.  

News Comments > 2084 Early Access Next Week
3. Re: 2084 Early Access Next Week Dec 5, 2018, 20:52 Orogogus

Rhialto wrote on Dec 5, 2018, 12:23:
I wonder why the number 2084 exactly because to me this number is tied to Robotron: 2084 the classic arcade game. I've asked this as a comment on Youtube, let's see if they answer.

One possibility -- xx84 is convenient shorthand for dystopian future, thanks to Orwell's 1984.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in September
13. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in September Dec 2, 2018, 15:41 Orogogus

Overon wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 14:11:
While you do make some good points and I'm sure there is merit to what you say to some degree, to blame crotchety old grognards for the Mechwarrior IP floundering and being sold to second rate studios has cause and effect backwards. Mechwarrior was not always developed by second rate studios. After it became less simulation and more arcade like, that's when the PC crotchety grognards got upset.

You can't ignore your core fans by trying to appeal to the more casual people in order to try to expand your audience. You risk alienating your core audience. It almost never works, especially if it's a niche genre to being with.

I agree with Primalchrome, I think the Mechwarrior IP is one of the most toxic around, and if it were me I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. You'd be better off making up own robots and background. The fanbase is always asking for AAA money to be spent on a game that will never, ever make back AAA profits, living a delusionary world if the right 'Mech game were made, people would be playing Mechwarrior instead of Fortnite, MOBAs, FPSes or whatever. I feel pretty often that MW developers should listen to the grognard crowd and then give serious consideration to doing the opposite of what they're saying. They're not always wrong... but it's pretty often.

Like, right in that video's comments, there are people bitching that the Locust is running around too fast and doesn't look like it's heavy enough. But no one's going to pilot them if they move any slower than that; they'll be deathtraps (especially in MWO). And then usually those same people are complaining that PGI hasn't put in the Dasher/Fire Moth or Fireball yet.

VR and co-op makes this probably a day one purchase for me. The comparable titles available now and on the horizon just don't have the same kind of money behind them. Like, Vox Machinae is pretty fun, but there's no campaign and only 5 mechs.

Primalchrome wrote:
We will probably never see a two inch thick manual for Falcon 4.0 again

My understanding is that DCS sits in that space right now, although the manuals are digital nowadays.

I've asked before, what do people want out of AI in a game like this? I've always felt that the AI doesn't have to be much more complicated than running at the player's 'Mechs while firing guns. In MWO, a designer's goal is probably to have as many matches as possible be close-fought, with one team winning by the skin of its teeth instead of rolling the enemy. But that's less fun in a single player campaign, especially a mercenary one. Like, the number one tactic in this kind of game is to group up and focus fire your enemies. But how fun is that if every mission the AI is burning down at least a few of your 'Mechs, if not gunning for the PC, who's probably sitting in the most threatening 'Mech? It seems to me that you see the same thing in HBS' BattleTech, where a lot of player strategy consists of isolating and focusing down targets; if the AI were realistic, that wouldn't work every single time. Missions are interesting because of their scripting combined with AI so dumb that players can take on three or four times their tonnage.

You see the same thing in games like Wing Commander or Freespace, which use terminology and mission design to make it sound military and professional, but in actual gameplay, success depends on you, personally, being better than 15 or 20 of the enemy's pilots. Those schmuck aliens aren't constantly shifting shields full to rear, dumping their stored weapons power, afterburning the hell out of Dodge and calling all their friends to shoot you down.

News Comments > Steam Increasing Revenue Share for Biggest Sellers
19. Re: Steam Increasing Revenue Share for Biggest Sellers Dec 2, 2018, 01:11 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 01:00:
EA's return policy is much better than Steam.

Something I found a bizarre about Origin when I bought the Mass Effect DLC packs last week is that they don't have a shopping cart. You buy what you're looking at or you go home. The Oculus store is like this, too. I don't know if Origin has holiday sales like Steam does, but I know Oculus does, and I just think, if you're not going to have a shopping cart, why even bother? Do they really get as many impulse purchases from people checking out multiple purchases one at a time?

News Comments > Steam Increasing Revenue Share for Biggest Sellers
17. Re: Steam Increasing Revenue Share for Biggest Sellers Dec 2, 2018, 01:00 Orogogus

Dev wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 00:21:
Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2018, 20:07:
go with platforms that actually ask for a reasonable cut say 5-10 points max.
What ones offer that? I mean 5% is barely above the credit card cut.

itch.io is the only one I know -- I believe developers can set itch.io's cut to anything, including 0% or 100%.

As far as I can see, Steam and GOG are both 30%, while Humble Bundle has a 75% developer/15% Humble Bundle/10% charity split (minus ~5% processing fees before the split).

1836 Comments. 92 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo