Total Posts
2024 (Senior)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

2024 Comments. 102 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    102  ] Older

Re: Horizon Zero Dawn Regional Price Spikes
Jul 6, 2020, 21:56
Re: Horizon Zero Dawn Regional Price Spikes Jul 6, 2020, 21:56
Jul 6, 2020, 21:56

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 6, 2020, 13:26:
Here you and I will disagree. I don't believe that I am entitled to anything, games wise. However, if you can sell a game for $15USD in one region, and still make a profit, and then attempt to sell it in another region for $59.99USD, it should come as no surprise when people either take advantage of technology to buy it at a lower price or copy it. Capitalism has no morality and it cuts both ways. If one is going to argue that it is morally wrong to copy data, are you going to also argue that is morally wrong to fleece one demographic for the sake of the bottom line?
It seems impossible that a reasonable person could be arguing that raw materials are a significant component of software pricing.

If you sell enough copies at $60 to recoup your development costs, then you'll "still make a profit" at any price higher than 0, or whatever covers the costs of selling software online. And of course they didn't start selling to the $15 regions. Horizon Zero Dawn isn't the new hit game out of Indonesia or Kazakhstan.

Re: Road Z : The Last Drive in August
Jun 30, 2020, 14:04
Re: Road Z : The Last Drive in August Jun 30, 2020, 14:04
Jun 30, 2020, 14:04

Didn't I play this in 2D, as a Flash game, almost 10 years ago?

https://www.kongregate.com/games/ToffeeGames/earn-to-die

I guess it didn't have on-foot sequences, and the new map looks much more interesting, but the gameplay looks surprisingly similar to the Flash game.

Re: Steam Top 10
Jun 28, 2020, 22:54
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 28, 2020, 22:54
Jun 28, 2020, 22:54

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 28, 2020, 22:32:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 28, 2020, 22:12:
Why is the bar set so low? It seems to me that most of the big publishers have games with minimum specifications higher than "$600 Walmart laptop with integrated graphics."

As RedEye correctly attributed, hyperbole. The point is that the barrier to entry needs to be low enough for mass adoption. It needs to be plug and go.

Hyperbole in this usage suggests sarcasm, not making an actual point.

Jun 28, 2020, 22:12
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 28, 2020, 22:12
Jun 28, 2020, 22:12

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 28, 2020, 21:10:
Until an integrated Intel graphics chipset on a $600 laptop from Walmart can drive VR comfortably and people can pick up a VR headset for the same price as a mid-level mouse, it simply is going to be continually relegated to a very niche market. Developers, and publishers, aren't going to cater to a niche market that has low single digit percentage buy-in. It is a colossal waste of time and resources that has a non-trivial negative ROI.
Why is the bar set so low? It seems to me that most of the big publishers have games with minimum specifications higher than "$600 Walmart laptop with integrated graphics."

Re: etc.
Jun 26, 2020, 20:56
Re: etc. Jun 26, 2020, 20:56
Jun 26, 2020, 20:56

ldonyo wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 14:54:
RaZ0r! wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 11:40:
The title calls it an "action RPG". I don't believe this game was technically an ARPG?
It wasn't and isn't. You can try to play it like one, but you'll probably be more frustrated than not, as tactics and strategy are pretty important elements in both the original and enhanced versions of this game.
Icewind Dale is basically a more modern Gold Box game with real time pause combat. But there were a lot of articles and forum threads back in the day pitting Icewind Dale and Diablo II head to head. It was kind of dumb.

Re: Women in Gaming Speak Out About Sexism and Harassment
Jun 24, 2020, 11:21
Re: Women in Gaming Speak Out About Sexism and Harassment Jun 24, 2020, 11:21
Jun 24, 2020, 11:21

Beamer wrote on Jun 24, 2020, 10:02:
Or, you're misunderstanding.

1) We're talking about the western market, not the eastern one. South Korean and Japanese companies aren't hiring Americans to come over and develop games, so let's table that

2) Within the US, companies are extremely heavily white male. Extremely. We had this discussion the other day. Go find a photo of your favorite company. Doom Eternal had the entire company in the credits. Epic puts out photos. Notice anything? I'm not singling these companies out or calling them evil. id and Epic are no differently representative than any other developer, and I'm certain both are at least as dismayed by it as any other.

3) Or, just look at protagonists in western games. How many games have a non-male character? Of those human, how many are non-white?

It's really shocking to me that saying that western games and game companies are predominantly white male is controversial. Or, that the best examples otherwise are either games not made in this region, or characters that aren't human.

I don't see where Cutter limited his description to the Western market. It seems to me that he said, in so many words, that white males made the video game industry what it is, on both the production and consumer ends. The reasoning seems to be that white males know what other white males want. If that's how the market works, then why is there such strong demand for Japanese games and hardware in the West?

Jun 24, 2020, 09:55
Re: Women in Gaming Speak Out About Sexism and Harassment Jun 24, 2020, 09:55
Jun 24, 2020, 09:55

Red886 wrote on Jun 24, 2020, 09:24:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 24, 2020, 07:19:
Spektr wrote on Jun 24, 2020, 06:40:
Games are made for white men by white men? I bet you never heard of Japan. Your culture? I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure Cutter was always first to complain about video games featuring female protagonists, since he didn't feel represented, and equally quick to call it pandering when games, TV shows or movies reached out to audiences other than white males.

But yeah; obviously, Pac-Man, Street Fighter, Pokemon, Nintendo, Sega and Sony are just super niche footnotes in the annals of video game history. The top 2 games by player account according to Wikipedia are Crossfire and Dungeon Fighter Online, and are made neither by nor for white men, but that just means they're not mainstream.

Street Fighter is already redesigned for the woke crowd. Pac-Man is sexist, cause you can only play as Mr Pac-man. Crossfire and Dungeon Fighter are Chinese games and mobile games / free-to-play / internet-cafe games, and since Chinese players are limited to certain games approved by the gov, it's not an indication of actual quality and popularity.

there is no sacred game franchise of which they won't try to mutate to fit their ideology. Won't be surprised if Civilization gets the treatment next. (for featuring now disallowed historical figures)

Crossfire and Dungeon Fighter Online are both Korean, not Chinese. But the point was, none of these games were designed by white men, nor were they made for white audiences. Japanese companies and audiences have been a major influence on the industry since 1979, when Pac-Man was designed specifically to appeal to more than just the male demographic -- a "woke" move that made $14 billion and established a franchise that's still producing new games 40 years later. Anyone who believes that video gaming has been the sole province of white males up until now is living in a tiny, delusional world.

Jun 24, 2020, 07:19
Re: Women in Gaming Speak Out About Sexism and Harassment Jun 24, 2020, 07:19
Jun 24, 2020, 07:19

Spektr wrote on Jun 24, 2020, 06:40:
Games are made for white men by white men? I bet you never heard of Japan. Your culture? I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure Cutter was always first to complain about video games featuring female protagonists, since he didn't feel represented, and equally quick to call it pandering when games, TV shows or movies reached out to audiences other than white males.

But yeah; obviously, Pac-Man, Street Fighter, Pokemon, Nintendo, Sega and Sony are just super niche footnotes in the annals of video game history. The top 2 games by player account according to Wikipedia are Crossfire and Dungeon Fighter Online, and are made neither by nor for white men, but that just means they're not mainstream.

Re: Evening Interviews
Jun 23, 2020, 21:10
Re: Evening Interviews Jun 23, 2020, 21:10
Jun 23, 2020, 21:10

jdreyer wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 20:48:
Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 20:42:
How about a war against not exploiting workers?

Yeah, EA has always struck me as an odd place. On the one hand, they win awards for being an inclusive and diverse workplace. On the other hand, they win "Worst company in America." Strange.

That worst company thing was from some kind of website (un)popularity contest poll, wasn't it? How well companies treat their customers, employees and shareholders are three separate things, to say nothing of their stances and actions relating to societal and environmental issues.

Jun 21, 2020, 16:09
Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 21, 2020, 16:09
Jun 21, 2020, 16:09

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 21, 2020, 14:50:
I hope bigger publishers are watching this list, seeing the Index consistently on it. Maybe we'll get some good high-end games on Steam, instead of Facebook buying them all up. Happy to see the new Star Wars game is fully VR capable. Honestly, if your game takes place 99% in a cockpit, it should have VR support. It's the easiest VR conversion possible.

In my opinion, Oculus doesn't have a ton of top tier material. They have a few nice-to-haves -- I recommend Arktika.1, Chronos, The Climb and The Edge of Nowhere; Asgard's Wrath and Stormland looked interesting, but not enough for me to bite -- but nothing remotely in Alyx's league, and most of the games with better production values are PSVR ports, Ubisoft titles or non-VR Steam games that added support later. Oculus spends money on exclusives but lacks either the vision or the project management capabilities to get anything good out of it, managing to turn the Marvel and Star Wars licenses to lead.

That said, publishers don't have to look at Steam's top 10 list, they can just go directly to the Steam hardware survey and see that ~2% of Steam users have a VR headset. If you want your return on investment to be in the black, there's only so much money you want to pour into VR development.

Re: Get Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition for Free
Jun 20, 2020, 12:13
Re: Get Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition for Free Jun 20, 2020, 12:13
Jun 20, 2020, 12:13

MindStalker3 wrote on Jun 20, 2020, 10:29:
Oh, your just getting hung up on the word coop.
Stop it.

It was a question, since I wanted to know how coop worked in a fighting game.

Jun 19, 2020, 23:52
Re: Get Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition for Free Jun 19, 2020, 23:52
Jun 19, 2020, 23:52

jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2020, 23:37:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 19, 2020, 22:51:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2020, 21:25:
Great couch coop game. And should run well and look good on any recent laptop you hook up to your TV.

I already own it.
How does local coop work for a fighting game?
Haven't played in a while, but IIRC:
- Boot game with two controllers plugged in.
- Start a local match (as opposed to online)
- Each player picks a character
- Fight.

Once the match starts the action is pretty smooth. Characters and environs are 3D, but gameplay moves in 2D for the most part. There are some cool interactions you can have with the environments to gain an advantage. Both characters share a single screen, so as you move apart, the view widens to accommodate the distance.

Like, fight each other? Wouldn't that not be cooperative anymore? Or is it 2vs2 against computer opponents?

Jun 19, 2020, 22:51
Re: Get Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition for Free Jun 19, 2020, 22:51
Jun 19, 2020, 22:51

jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2020, 21:25:
Great couch coop game. And should run well and look good on any recent laptop you hook up to your TV.

I already own it.
How does local coop work for a fighting game?

Re: Star Wars: Squadrons Gameplay Trailer and Details
Jun 19, 2020, 12:30
Re: Star Wars: Squadrons Gameplay Trailer and Details Jun 19, 2020, 12:30
Jun 19, 2020, 12:30

El Pit wrote on Jun 19, 2020, 08:04:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2020, 05:01:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 18, 2020, 23:25:

I could see a B-Wing DLC, but the TIE Defender is so ugly.
What, what, WHAAAAT???
Heresy! A TIE Defender takes down a dozen of these slow as molasses B-Wings - even while the Defender pilot is getting force choked by Vader for not taking down TWO dozens of B's!
I mean, that's my other problem with the Defender. It's not hard to make a tougher, stronger, faster ship that also has a tractor beam. Anyone can keep scribbling bigger numbers until they're shouting, "I've got lasers plus infinity!" It's just like the Star Wars movies and expanded media constantly one-upping the Super Star Destroyer with dozens of Super Duper Star Destroyers and Ultra Star Destroyers with their own Death Star lasers and interdiction capabilities and what have you.

But as far as its looks go -- nothing's ever topped the TIE Interceptor in my opinion, but the TIE Defender is one of the weaker efforts. It looks like someone had some Interceptor Lego bits and mashed them together. It reminds me of those parody vids where Grievous pulls out fifteen lightsabers or Kylo Ren has eight blades sticking out. Having three convex-angled panels just looks big and ungainly to me where the Interceptor looks sleek and dangerous.

Re: Star Wars: Squadrons Gameplay Trailer and Details
Jun 18, 2020, 23:25
Re: Star Wars: Squadrons Gameplay Trailer and Details Jun 18, 2020, 23:25
Jun 18, 2020, 23:25

fakespyder wrote on Jun 18, 2020, 23:13:
I wonder if you'll be able to manage and transfer energy to shields, weapons etc. Somehow I doubt they'll get that detailed.

They modeled controls for energy and shields in the cockpits -- there are up/down/left/right buttons (like for a computer monitor) next to the energy readouts, and forward/rear buttons next to the shield readout. You can see those at different settings throughout the trailer. And in the cinematic trailer they said something like "all power to engines." Plus it's right there in the text.

I could see a B-Wing DLC, but the TIE Defender is so ugly.

Re: ICBM Announced
Jun 18, 2020, 17:58
Re: ICBM Announced Jun 18, 2020, 17:58
Jun 18, 2020, 17:58

Rigs wrote on Jun 18, 2020, 17:08:
It really just looks like a graphical overhaul of DEFCON. Even some of the icons on the map for radars and silos are very similar as is the gameplay. Besides the research and the updated graphics, I don't know what more this will bring that DEFCON didn't already.

Speaking of nuclear Armageddon, there used to be an old DOS game that simulated nuclear strikes between say the U.S. and Russia. It let you type in the city name from a list that was sorted by population and then after missiles were launched, it tallied up the 'score' in number dead, much like DEFCON but it was very DOS-esk. I can remember my friend and I playing that game for hours on end. I want to say I downloaded it from a BBS but I'm not entirely sure, it was so long ago, probably between 1993 and 1996. I've never been able to find it since then but I really want to play it.

=-Rigs-=

Tommy's Global Thermonuclear War?
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/tommys-global-thermonuclear-war

Re: Indie devs remove their games from Steam over Valve's silence on Black Lives Matter…
Jun 17, 2020, 00:09
Re: Indie devs remove their games from Steam over Valve's silence on Black Lives Matter… Jun 17, 2020, 00:09
Jun 17, 2020, 00:09

Beamer wrote on Jun 16, 2020, 23:37:
But valve has clearly tried to stay out of this

How so? I think it's obvious that they don't have the department that handles these things at other companies. Their Facebook pages have been abandoned, their website is a hiring portal and nothing else, they've never had an Instagram, and their Twitter account - about half a year old - might be an automated bot that just barely sends out announcements of updates and events for Alyx, Dota and Artifact. I think Gabe gave up social media half a decade ago. None of this says to me that there's a room of white guys trying to tiptoe around the big social issues of the day.

Re: The Witcher 3 Owners Get Free Copy on GOG.com
Jun 16, 2020, 15:13
Re: The Witcher 3 Owners Get Free Copy on GOG.com Jun 16, 2020, 15:13
Jun 16, 2020, 15:13

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 16, 2020, 14:36:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 16, 2020, 13:16:
I've asked a few times, but haven't seen any solutions -- how do people with a lot of games navigate their libraries in GOG Galaxy 2.0? The scroll bar is very small, and you can't type letters to jump around in the list. PgUp/PgDn doesn't work in list view. It works in grid view, but the app tends to misplace focus so you have to click in a blank space first; in list view I can't find a blank space to click on, so I don't know if it's the same problem there. It just seems a lot harder to browse than Steam or, say, Windows Explorer.

Well, I just use the scroll bar + separate by assigned tags. That's not really the full answer you're looking for, the PgUp/PgDn thing is annoying, I agree, but You can at least separate your games a little by the Sort by Tags feature. Tags are assigned manually. Currently I have my list broken up into basically Finished Games, Backlog, New to Me, then you can hide those tabs here and there to speed up any searching you have to do. Installed is its own separate category on the left obviously, so that further breaks it down. But yes, the overall sorting and movement in the list needs to be improved. There is also the built in Filter in GOG Galaxy, but your mileage may vary with that. A bigger scroll bar would help, as would assigning PgUp/PgDn in list view. Galaxy does have a feedback button in there, under the top left Gear icon, "Share Feedback," I'd recommend sending them a brief polite note, I've done a couple for similar reasons.

Yeah, I've left feedback through the button. It just seems strange that I never see anyone else with this complaint. Everyone likes GOG Galaxy to see all their games in one place, but actually browsing through those games seems very difficult. I'm always wondering if I'm missing something.

Re: The Witcher 3 Owners Get Free Copy on GOG.com
Jun 16, 2020, 13:16
Re: The Witcher 3 Owners Get Free Copy on GOG.com Jun 16, 2020, 13:16
Jun 16, 2020, 13:16

I've asked a few times, but haven't seen any solutions -- how do people with a lot of games navigate their libraries in GOG Galaxy 2.0? The scroll bar is very small, and you can't type letters to jump around in the list. PgUp/PgDn doesn't work in list view. It works in grid view, but the app tends to misplace focus so you have to click in a blank space first; in list view I can't find a blank space to click on, so I don't know if it's the same problem there. It just seems a lot harder to browse than Steam or, say, Windows Explorer.

Re: Star Wars: Squadrons Press Release and System Requirements
Jun 16, 2020, 06:43
Re: Star Wars: Squadrons Press Release and System Requirements Jun 16, 2020, 06:43
Jun 16, 2020, 06:43

opie wrote on Jun 16, 2020, 06:26:
anyone else notice it is only $29.99 on Steam? not the price of a full AAA title. guessing it will be half assed... even for EA
It's $39.99 for me.
2024 Comments. 102 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    102  ] Older