Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On February 22, 2003
Supporter -
Total Comments 1942 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2020, 15:49 Orogogus

Primalchrome wrote on Apr 7, 2020, 14:18:
WaltC wrote on Apr 7, 2020, 11:04:
I do not find it amusing how the government currently has decided to assign "cause of death" to COVID-19 while ignoring age as a factor (80 is years past the average life expectancy for both men and women in the US)
Obviously I'm better informed! Even if I don't have a clue what 'average life expectancy' actually means.
He didn't even look at the numbers. Life expectancy for females in the US is 81.1 years.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr68/nvsr68_07-508.pdf

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 6, 2020, 21:17 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 6, 2020, 18:39:
Although I would like someone to explain to me what the Wisconsin GOP thinks they are accomplishing by forcing the primary election to go forward...

They have a state supreme court seat in play. Old people are eligible for mail-in absentee ballots, and are a Republican voting bloc. In Wisconsin, other people have to prove they deserve one. So making sure old people are over-represented while urban voters aren't counted helps Republicans get that state court seat.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 01:31 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 23:24:
It is so much worse than most realize. I heard a report today about how the US government has been trying to get a cheap ventilator for years now.

They contracted a small company to design and build one, and then sell them to the US government. The government granted the money for the research and development and when the company was about to start selling the ventilators to the government, a larger competitor who was selling ventilators for three times the price bought the company and told the government they wanted out of the deal. Which the government allowed without forcing repayment of the development costs.

So, they tried again, this time they asked a large company (Phillips) to do the same thing. Again, the company said yes and took the development money. However the government failed to put a delivery timeline in the contract. Phillips designed and started making and selling the ventilators all over the world. Yet, they still haven't fulfilled the contract to supply ventilators to the US government. They recently said they would make "their best effort" to fill the order.

This is sequence of events is many years in the making. If I remember correctly it started before the Obama administration. So, while I think the Trump administration response has been an absolute abysmal failure -- the failures have been happening on a regular basis for a long time.

That was one of yesterday's Out of the Blue stories.

News Comments > 50K Call of Duty: Warzone Cheaters Banned

6. Re: 50K Call of Duty: Warzone Cheaters Banned Mar 31, 2020, 22:05 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Mar 31, 2020, 21:29:
MattyC wrote on Mar 31, 2020, 20:09:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 31, 2020, 19:08:
What I don't understand is why we haven't figured this out yet.

Did I miss something? Confused

As far as any CoD bans go, they release titles yearly and have done so for a long time. I would imagine that basically makes their bans meaningless for the type of people who hack. They were just going to move on to the new game soon enough anyway.

I mean, it's 2020. We've had cheats in online games for over two decades. How have we not figured out how to stop this yet?

It's a two-way game. Whatever cheat protection is out there, I'm sure there are people on the other side asking, how have we not beaten this yet?
Plenty of people take it for granted that any DRM will be broken sooner or later. This seems like the same thing.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 31, 2020, 19:40 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Mar 31, 2020, 15:10:
Coronavirus: World leaders' posts deleted over fake news.

Right to work != right to organize
Right to work == right to be fired

I think you're talking about at-will employment.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2020, 19:21 Orogogus

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 31, 2020, 18:02:
What kind of person calls 100,000-plus dead a ‘very good job’?
By comparison, about 3,000 people died in the Sept. 11 attacks and about 58,000 Americans died in Vietnam.
There's a benchmark. 12.5K deaths = a full scale disaster. So we'll see.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions

10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 31, 2020, 11:26 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 31, 2020, 09:01:
Orogogus wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 21:52:
Which is why we've never had another fixing scandal for over a hundred years?
The wikipedia page listed fewer than I expected. But clearly some are missing since I remember a dust up about some ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) matches within the last couple of years which isn't mentioned. So there are probably plenty more which are not documented in Wikipedia. I don't think it is "common" but it happens a lot more than people generally think it does.

This is what I found.

jdreyer wrote on Mar 31, 2020, 03:59:
No, no one has been caught in a major fixing scandal in 100 years. As for pro sports, players unions and commensurate salaries have prevented that.

If there were (another) CS:GO fixing scandal, would it be considered major? Do the players have unions, and are their salaries high enough to disincentivize throwing matches?

7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 30, 2020, 22:27 Orogogus

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 22:07:
Orogogus wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 21:52:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 21:10:
Nevada to Permit Bets On Counter Strike Video Games.

I mean, what could go wrong?

that we know of

Without even looking, I'm sure there's a Wikipedia page listing known sports fixing scandals, and it doesn't end abruptly at 1919.

5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 30, 2020, 21:52 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 21:10:
Nevada to Permit Bets On Counter Strike Video Games.

I mean, what could go wrong?

I think trying to use hacks would be less lucrative while being easier to detect than people being paid to do poorly.

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 30, 2020, 12:14 Orogogus

Xero wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 11:21:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 10:24:
Good thing a video game can't be rigged.

I was just going to say. If hacks are hard enough to detect, I can only imagine when millions of dollars are on the line with betting. It'll only add to the need to make better undetectable hacks.

I know people love to treat competitive gaming like real sports but the reality is, they're not. I mean sure, an athlete can juice up, but in the end, his skills are still there that the juice should only compliment/enhance how good he already was.

In gaming, a hack can take a sh!!ty player to a whole new level. Once that hack is removed, guess what, he's still a sh!!tty player.

I also don't like the fact that the rules and balance is in the hands of the programmers who decide what gun they want to nerf/buff based on how often players use it or exploit it. Then a player can just get real good with that 1 gun until it gets nerfed and he's again, a shat player...

Competitive gaming will always be bound by the limitations of the code and whose behind that code to decide how good you really are.

I think when betting is involved, they'd just rig games the normal way, by paying off players.

News Comments > Steam Top 10

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 29, 2020, 23:17 Orogogus

Dev wrote on Mar 29, 2020, 21:36:
Kinda impressive to see Alyx up there at all. People were wondering where it was, here it is.

Especially since they gave away copies to everyone who ordered Index headsets or controllers.

News Comments > Saturday Previews

5. Re: Saturday Previews Mar 29, 2020, 23:14 Orogogus

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 29, 2020, 13:17:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 29, 2020, 10:28:
I will get this on Steam when he finally releases it there(still no projected date, right?), but I feel like a lot of newer games have eaten Dwarf Fortress's lunch in some aspects, namely Rimworld, but also stuff like Prison Architect and some of the other building/society games.

Still, this should bring in a ton of new people, the pure ASCII version is just horrific to look at.

Prison architect and rimworld made by same guy.. and you are correct that their lunch was eaten. Toady one really missed a grand opportunity but it's not over yet.

It was clear after the first year or two of updates that Toady wasn't focused on the base survival game that most people think of when they hear Dwarf Fortress. I don't mean that in a bad way, but aside from graphics and UI issues, there were tons and tons of updates about modeling civilizations, river drainage systems and religion, relevant mostly to adventure mode, which I think a lot of people hardly touch.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization

11. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 28, 2020, 13:39 Orogogus

Cutter wrote on Mar 28, 2020, 13:14:
Until this thing is over no one knows how bad it is. So stop fucking lying and claiming it's a new plague when it isn't. 80k cases in Italy and a 10% mortality rate. 51k cases in Germany and 0.5 mortality rate. There are MYRIAD reasons for that.

Guess fucking what? 9% is the annual mortality rate for flu in Italy anyway! From The International Journal of Infectious Diseases....

nvestigating the impact of influenza on excess mortality in all ages in Italy during recent seasons (2013/14–2016/17 seasons)

Highlights

• In the winter seasons from 2013/14 to 2016/17, an estimated average of 5,290,000 ILI cases occurred in Italy, corresponding to an incidence of 9%.

• More than 68,000 deaths attributable to flu epidemics were estimated in the study period.

• Italy showed a higher influenza attributable excess mortality compared to other European countries. especially in the elderly.

Golly! Imagine that! Jesus fucking Christ, don't you idiots ever tire of being wrong all the time? Try reading some actual fucking science for once.

Incidence is clearly infection, not mortality. You can see that just from the part you quoted. If there were 68,000 deaths over 4 years for an average of 5.3M cases annually, that puts excess mortality at about 0.3%.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 26, 2020, 11:37 Orogogus

MT Silver wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 10:22:
Orogogus wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 12:07:
MT Silver wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 09:30:
Donate? To local businesses? That's stupid. Just go there and buy something! You don't need a stupid button on a website.

"...a variety of businesses including restaurants, nightlife spots, beauty parlors, and fitness centers."

Businesses that people are currently discouraged from patronizing, in other words. Not stores.

You still go there to buy stuff. Haircut, drinks, burger etc.

Not all restaurants are optimized for delivery. Buffets, for example, are going to see a drop in patronage, and probably already halted operations for that reason.

But whatever. If this is a "people self-quarantining are stupid" argument then I'm not getting into that.

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Killing It

16. Re: DOOM Eternal Killing It Mar 26, 2020, 00:20 Orogogus

bigspender wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 23:48:
I just realized that Warhammer 40k: Space Marine nailed the shooty shooty + melee gameplay like 10 years ago. It even had the "melee kill to heal" mechanic. And melee fatality cinmatics.
Anyway my point being that it never felt like the melee was forced on you. Instead it gave you variety.

My recollection of Space Marine is that pretty early on they start throwing suicide Orks at you, and that's pretty much the end of melee until you move on to fighting daemons (the Khornate, melee daemons, which was weird).

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 25, 2020, 12:07 Orogogus

MT Silver wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 09:30:
Donate? To local businesses? That's stupid. Just go there and buy something! You don't need a stupid button on a website.

"...a variety of businesses including restaurants, nightlife spots, beauty parlors, and fitness centers."

Businesses that people are currently discouraged from patronizing, in other words. Not stores.

17. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 24, 2020, 12:05 Orogogus

Retired wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 04:15:
Orogogus wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 23:45:
Retired wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 21:00:
Well, it is sample size. In the US the death rate is the same as flu. Worldwide, it is a lot higher. 1.2% vs 4.3% (If I remember the percentages I ran this AM.)

We don't know and will not know for a long time.

What kind of error bars do you imagine swinging from 1.2% to out past 20% for an n of 120? Even if you bump up the flu death rate to account for older subjects and existing conditions, I don't believe the flu randomly strikes the occasional nursing home to wipe out 28% of the patients in a month instead of the usual 3-6%. Either your premise is wrong or something else happened at this site to kill a lot of patients.

? Old ass people in a home who were already sick died. An infected person walked in, hugged and kissed people and people died from a very bad virus.

If I was infected, and walked into my 96 year old grandmother's care facility, and gave everyone some lovin and at lunch with them, touched shit and walked out. Yea, I bet they would all die! That happened before they know what was going on,.

This is exactly my point. Before this year we've never taken any significant precautions at nursing homes and care centers. People visited when they were sick, workers went in sick, they had parties and get-togethers, and the flu's been going around every year. But you haven't read about these sites experiencing a 28% die-off. 33 people dying in a month would be news, and normally I would expect such a facility to be investigated and shut down.

I asked what was different about this site that made it so much worse than normal. It didn't occur to me that people thought this was normal, that every year you see nursing homes lose a quarter of their patients. If that's the case, can you find a news article of an incident like this?

1997 study

Dr. Poland said a British study of 1,059 residents at 12 different centers for long-term care found that the death rate among patients dropped to 10 percent from 17 percent when health-care workers were required to receive annual flu shots.

This implies a 7 percent flu death rate, over a year (probably concentrated in a 3-month flu season) instead of a span of three weeks.

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Released

34. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Released Mar 24, 2020, 02:11 Orogogus

Played for about an hour, and I'm very impressed. The environments are top notch, it controls very well, and the writing hasn't been terrible so far. I'd buy a ton more VR games if they all had this much environmental detail. The beginning section feels a lot like being right in Orwell's 1984, except with Striders and manhacks and a giant tower.  

News Comments > HP, Valve, & Microsoft's "Next Gen" VR Headset Revealed

6. Re: HP, Valve, & Microsoft's Mar 24, 2020, 02:02 Orogogus

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 00:50:
I have a question in terms of power can anyone give a quick breakdown? I have a Vive headset (1st gen) and all these coming out I can't exactly find which gives the best bang for the buck (I imagine the Index, and the Vive Pro are the top) but struggling to find this sorta info.

I believe the Index, Reverb and Pimax's headsets are sitting at the top for total resolution & refresh right now. I don't know much about Pimax's stuff. The Reverb is a WMR headset, and supposedly the controller tracking isn't great. Shipping time on the Index is 8 weeks in the US, according to the website. I think most people's opinion is that the Index offers better visuals & refresh than a Rift S, and the controllers are nice and all, but not enough to justify its price ($1000 for the headset, new controllers and new base stations).

Oculus's headsets are in most people's sweet spot for value (~$400). The Quest has the advantage of portability; you can play PC games if you buy an add-on cable, or you can play as a standalone headset, which some people really like. If you're only interested in VR hooked up to the PC, then I believe the Rift S has better visuals and is cheaper, especially after the cable is factored in. But both the Rift S and Quest are currently unavailable.

The Samsung Odyssey+ is the cheaper solution (~$250-300), although it's also currently out of stock everywhere. It's a WMR headset, so tracking isn't the greatest, and until this announcement today people were worried that Microsoft was going to bail on WMR headsets.

The Vive Pro is okay, although it's been discontinued now. I think the optional wireless add-on is the only thing keeping it on people's radars. HTC shifted to the Cosmos/Cosmos Elite, which haven't been well-received. Too pricey for their specs, and they're not at the top. I think the main audience is people who can't stand to give Oculus/Facebook money, and can't wait for an Index.

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 23, 2020, 23:45 Orogogus

Retired wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 21:00:
Well, it is sample size. In the US the death rate is the same as flu. Worldwide, it is a lot higher. 1.2% vs 4.3% (If I remember the percentages I ran this AM.)

We don't know and will not know for a long time.

What kind of error bars do you imagine swinging from 1.2% to out past 20% for an n of 120? Even if you bump up the flu death rate to account for older subjects and existing conditions, I don't believe the flu randomly strikes the occasional nursing home to wipe out 28% of the patients in a month instead of the usual 3-6%. Either your premise is wrong or something else happened at this site to kill a lot of patients.

1942 Comments. 98 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >