Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1770 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2018, 12:57 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Aug 14, 2018, 05:07:
We Hope Someday We Can Love Something As Much As This Sheep Loves Bouncing On A Trampoline.

Jesus H. Fucking Christ people.

This is not rocket surgery: HOLD YOUR FUCKING PHONE SIDEWAYS WHEN YOU SHOOT VIDEOS. I swear to fucking God, people are morans.

Exception: you are shooting a Space X launch or landing.

I mentioned this before, but I've never understood how people immediately 'sperge off on every vertical video they see, but no one dislikes or bitches in the comments about all these videos and broadcasts that are squashed or stretched into the wrong aspect ratio. How does that not bother people?

It's easier to hold a phone in portrait orientation, and if there was anything important going on off to the side, they would have stepped back or flipped their phone. I don't get the big deal. People and their faces are also more suited to portrait orientation than landscape, but no one flips out about all that wasted space.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2018, 14:54 Orogogus

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 14:23:
I donít give a flying fuck what they call them, I want to see benchmarks.

Even then, I probably wonít be getting one. A 1080gtx is a fucking monster, having no issue pushing *anything* at 60fps or higher at 1440p. While a small part of me wants the latest and greatest, a much larger part needs to have a damn good reason to upgrade. For a 1080p screen, the 1060 can manage 99% of whatís out there with ease.

Next gen VR and I guess 4K gaming definitely need something beefier than the 1080 Ti, so here we are.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 10, 2018, 14:10 Orogogus

NicklePop wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 14:03:
Censorship has historically been a great idea, kudos CNN

Pointing out violations of the terms use doesn't seem like censorship to me, and it was Infowars who deleted their own tweets.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 13:07 Orogogus

Verno wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 12:24:
Ignore the troll, everyone else does. Amazon is pretty good when everything goes well and awful when it doesn't. Their tech support has gotten worse over the past few years and they are less likely to give a shit about compensating you over problems on their end since their big push to actual profits began.

I actually cancelled Prime this year because I just didn't find it worthwhile anymore. Watching that documentary on Youtube about their employee policies was pretty eye opening too. I didn't realize Bezos ran the place like the fucking Hunger Games.

I feel a lot of warehouse and assembly line operations end up that way when there's no union involved. You get one upper management guy who gets lean manufacturing, Six Sigma or 5S in their head and then all your workers are treated like disposable cogs.

But while I don't know about Amazon's tech support, their customer support hasn't really done wrong by me yet. I've submitted one or two issues a year and every time they've just sent me a free replacement product, no questions asked. One time they emailed me to tell me my product was lost in transit, and when I contacted them they sent me a free replacement; the "lost" product showed up the next day and they told me to keep it.

Redmask wrote:
Dodging state and federal taxes for years, no problem because Apple does it rite? Rationalization is so convenient. BUY MOAR GOODS, bwhaha.

What people are getting at is that no one really dodges state sales taxes. Federal corporate income taxes, yes. State, not so much.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2018, 22:35 Orogogus

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 19:58:
As for Amazon and taxes, they followed the letter of the law doing what any good business would do. Get a grip.
Nothing to see here.

I agree on the sales tax issue -- until Amazon got big enough to require a physical presence in each state, the law was clear enough that they couldn't be charged state sales taxes. I don't think putting responsibility on its marketplace sellers is horrific and evil. States will just have to clarify their laws.

Amazon is a tax dodge company like Apple, though, that sets up shell companies with token offices to hide its profits in low tax countries. I do think that's a dick move.

Article

News Comments > Fallout 76 Blowing Off Steam
22. Re: Fallout 76 Blowing Off Steam Aug 7, 2018, 22:05 Orogogus

Sepharo wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 21:09:
Steam launched as platform for distributing Valve patches. Then a platform for distributing whole Valve games. And the finally a platform for selling other games (where they get a percentage of the cut and distribute patches and if desired help with DLC infrastructure, achievements, anti-cheat, etc). Nobody would have ever accepted any of those steps from MS. Most went kicking and screaming with it being Valve and on their own games initially.

Well, Games for Windows Live was supposed to provide a multiplayer backbone or something, but it wasn't really better than Steam, and there was the whole thing about $50/month. And they have games on the Microsoft Store, including the Forza games. But it boggles my mind that, in addition to still not being as good as Steam, MS can't even give people Solitaire without it being ad-ridden, buggy and ridden with microtransactions.

I really don't understand how all these other companies, when designing their own launchers, can't sit down for 30 minutes to bullet point Steam's key features, and then copy all of those. Search and sorting options, reviews and ratings, tags, multiple drive support and custom paths, wishlists with notifications, gifting, the mod workshop, download management, free weekends, a refund policy, a friends list and chat, family sharing, a browser interface with as many of the same features as possible.

There's probably more, but when the Oculus Store launched, I think it had like 2 of those things -- they've mostly achieved parity now, but some of those don't seem like they should have been that hard for a company with Facebook money when Steam was right there. And the Microsoft Store is still pretty abysmal.

If you want to go the extra mile and improve on Steam, there are also third party sites and add-ons like Enhanced Steam and Lorenzo Stanco's Steam Library filters page. Copy those! It's true that EA, Microsoft and Oculus are working uphill against public opinion, but I feel like they'd have an easier time if they spent more time and effort to actually be as good as Steam.

Something these also-rans could do to sway me would be online spawned installations, like the old Blizzard games, so that one person buys a game and other people can join for free. A lot of smaller multiplayer games look like they could be fun for a Friday night game, but if you need four or more people to all buy a copy then that puts a damper on things.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 7, 2018, 13:07 Orogogus

Pai's a classy guy, blaming his lies on the previous administration, and taking credit for broadband deployments that took place before his tenure.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2018, 13:37 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Aug 5, 2018, 18:04:
ISPs having greedy monopolistic practices?

Here is my shocked face: Shocked

Not that I have any love for the music "industry" who paid off politicians to pass these laws in the first place.

What's their greedy monopolistic practice here? I loathe my ISP as much as anyone, but they don't seem to be wrong here. The MPAA and RIAA seem to have a bad enough false positive rate that I wouldn't terminate a customer on their say-so, either. They're also happy to do it in a way that makes them look like evil thugs, sticking million dollar punishments on poor people.

rawbelly wrote on Aug 5, 2018, 15:36:
The artists wouldn't see a dime of that money.

While true, I don't think that's the benchmark by which the merits of the lawsuit should be judged. What you'd want to look at, as an artist, is whether these lawsuits get people to spend more money on music after they've been scared away from pirating it. When Nintendo sues a ROM site it's not to renumerate all the developers and publishers involved, it's to reduce piracy and increase sales. The fee is more important as a deterrent than actually making any money back.

News Comments > Star Citizen Ground Battle Video
43. Re: Star Citizen Ground Battle Video Aug 4, 2018, 02:13 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 23:19:
Orogogus wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 14:04:
Creston wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 13:54:
(Though that's also kinda weird, because they ran towards that spot. If it's zero-g, you shouldn't be running. Maybe artificial gravity?)

Magnetized boots are the applicable sci-fi trope, I think.

Well, yes, obviously, but you can't run with those.

Electromagnets. You get them to increase, decrease or reverse their magnetic fields to conveniently mimic the feel of being under gravity.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 3, 2018, 19:27 Orogogus

Task wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 19:19:
lol the Trump Admin can fuck right off.

As the article says, it's largely moot, since the FCC has already dropped those rules.

But in general, people -- like Kavanuagh -- who think our ISPs should have First Amendment rights to withhold content are insane. How do people like Timmeh, who threw a fit over Facebook not reposting Infowars, think it's okay for Comcast or Spectrum to just block access entirely?

News Comments > Star Citizen Ground Battle Video
21. Re: Star Citizen Ground Battle Video Aug 3, 2018, 14:04 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 13:54:
(Though that's also kinda weird, because they ran towards that spot. If it's zero-g, you shouldn't be running. Maybe artificial gravity?)

Magnetized boots are the applicable sci-fi trope, I think.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Aug 3, 2018, 12:54 Orogogus

I buy fewer games because of Flash sales. I'm not checking often enough to catch any of them, and when I see on Isthereanydeal that something was historically available at a lower price, I remember that I have enough on my plate already, and pass.  

News Comments > GOG.com Tweet Backlash
26. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jul 19, 2018, 14:24 Orogogus

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 14:16:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 14:09:
Beamer wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 14:06:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 14:01:
Kajetan wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 12:10:
Considering GOGs history of shady and weird marketing schemes ....
examples?

They did a PCMR thing a ways back, and apologized for it. Which set off all kinds of anger from people that think no one should be bothered by saying their choice in platform makes them like the Aryans. Even Yahtzee has said he wishes he'd never used the term, given the asshats that have attached themselves to it.

But I don't think most of this stuff is intentional, and when they screw up, they seem genuinely upset at their actions.

"Weird" would be when they pretended they were shutting down and then dressed like monks to announce their new website.
So they do viral marketing. In other words nothing to see here.

Pretty much. I usually ignore all their marketing. Tweets and countdowns and leadups to announcements are all viral garbage that I'm not interested in. I also don't really buy anything from them. Oh well, my loss.

News Comments > GOG.com Tweet Backlash
23. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jul 19, 2018, 14:09 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 14:06:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 14:01:
Kajetan wrote on Jul 19, 2018, 12:10:
Considering GOGs history of shady and weird marketing schemes ....
examples?

They did a PCMR thing a ways back, and apologized for it. Which set off all kinds of anger from people that think no one should be bothered by saying their choice in platform makes them like the Aryans. Even Yahtzee has said he wishes he'd never used the term, given the asshats that have attached themselves to it.

But I don't think most of this stuff is intentional, and when they screw up, they seem genuinely upset at their actions.

"Weird" would be when they pretended they were shutting down and then dressed like monks to announce their new website.

News Comments > Original Crysis Multiplayer Support Ending
4. Re: Original Crysis Multiplayer Support Ending Jul 18, 2018, 13:07 Orogogus

MattyC wrote on Jul 18, 2018, 11:23:
I think the only real fun I had with this was some MechWarrior mod. I wish I could remember the name of it so I could give it one last go (assuming it is even still around).

Mechwarrior Living Legends

EDIT: Although, come to think of it, that switched to Crysis Wars a while back, and they package it with the CW demo or something so you don't even need that.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2018, 13:24.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2018, 16:57 Orogogus

DangerDog wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 16:52:
Beamer wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 16:46:
DangerDog wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 16:28:
Is the EU president drunk on alcohol or power?

probably both.

He's not the EU president.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/commissioners/2014-2019/president_en

he's not?

Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_the_European_Union

The official title President of the European Union (or President of Europe) does not exist, but there are a number of presidents of European Union institutions, including:

• the President of the European Council (since 1 December 2014, Donald Tusk)

• the President of the European Commission (since 1 November 2014, Jean-Claude Juncker)

• the President of the European Parliament (since 17 January 2017, Antonio Tajani)
  •  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
    17. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 16:38 Orogogus

YourNick wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 15:39:
    You're right, I'm the only one so far whom is actually addressing the article on the article comment page, imagine that!

It's "who", not "whom," here, since it's the subject of the clause and not an object.

Anyway, a hurhurlol comment on the level of "Is this the patch that makes the game fun?" didn't seem to demand deep discussion. 611K seems like a lot to me considering the state of the hardware and software, and the idea that it's being skewed by people lending headsets out for use on their friends' Steam accounts doesn't sound plausible. The Rift and Vive are kind of a hassle to set up, and why would non-headset owning people have a VR library? Setting up a family sharing account is a minor pain compared to moving the rig and base stations around. It's an edge case scenario that I'd be amazed to see top 0.01% of the 611K.

I'm not enormously discouraged by the current state. I think the PSVR, Rift, Vive and WinMR headsets are at reasonable price points ($400-500) for people who are interested to check them out; I don't feel they're out of reach for people who really want to get them. The technology and price aren't improving as quickly as I'd hope -- I think the Vive Pro kind of is too expensive for the enthusiast market, and none of the other players seem to have anything in the near future -- but it seems to me that VR is at least stable enough that I'd expect it to still be around and improving in 5 and 10 years. It's got the kind of enthusiast base that got on board with Adlib soundcards or any of the pre-3dfx accelerators, and I don't feel it's something that's going to die off like 3DTV.

Unlike soundcards or 3D acceleration, though, I think VR is something that wouldn't be for everyone even if it was free and much more advanced. So it's more like a steering wheel, gamepad or joystick. And I think 611K seems pretty healthy in that respect.

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 14:37 Orogogus

YourNick wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 14:27:
    Are up means the new value is higher than the original value, it's as simple as that. It doesn't clarify which formula one should use.

Again, disagree. "Are up" means current + (current*%change). Millions of people have to use this in their annual, quarterly and monthly reports all the time and it's a standard terminology for which formula they're using.

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 14:13 Orogogus

I disagree that anyone would read it the way you are.

Are up, have increased, have grown: Everyone, especially people who have to generate or read these numbers in their job, knows that means current + current*(% change).

If they wanted to say current*(% change), they would say that they have or there are x% compared to last year ("we have 25% as many users compared to last year," or "there are 840% as many users in the US", or whatever). "840% more users," however, would mean 940% total.

It's not an ambiguous phrasing.

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 13:45 Orogogus

I don't think it's ambiguous. If they said it was up 100%, everyone should know it doubled. If they said up 10%, I don't think anyone would read that as having gone down 90%.  

1770 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo