Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1612 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Apocalypse Cow
2. Re: Apocalypse Cow Nov 17, 2017, 12:59 Orogogus

Man-Eating Cow, I think.

I know "Apocalypse Cow" as the title of one of Dave Barry's old humor articles.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2017, 12:56 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 10:25:
It's tiny (actually pretty big by NYC standards, as it was redone right before I moved in, but it's still about 2"x8"

So like the size of two candy bars, haha.

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 14, 2017, 02:39 Orogogus

Those are the colors they use on the readout displays on Star Trek starting from TNG, aren't they? An image search for Star Trek computer screens suggests so, anyways.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints
38. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 13:54 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 13:44:
Wait.
This system rewards you not for accomplishments but time spent?

It does both, I gather -- a certain number of credits (32,400 + crates + crystals + crafting parts) for challenges, and then most of the rest in post-match rewards, which I guess relies mostly on time in-game. Also keeping in mind that apparently the most expensive heroes cost 60K.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 12 Underway
8. Re: Diablo III Season 12 Underway Nov 12, 2017, 13:39 Orogogus

I got Grim Dawn with a Humble Bundle a while ago, and played it until I reached some dungeon with tons of environmental damage. Like if you click in the wrong place and don't immediately notice (while being swarmed by ghosty monsters) you're dead in like 3 seconds. I found it kind of unfun in an ARPG, but it felt like one of those hills developers love to die on.

Occasionally when I get an ARPG itch I wonder if I should give Blizzard some money, since they seem to cater to my breed of filthy casual scum. Free respecs sound swell to me and it doesn't seem to me that they're hurting anything, but yikes did people get angry about them.

News Comments > EA to Acquire Respawn
8. Re: EA to Acquire Respawn Nov 9, 2017, 20:14 Orogogus

SimplyMonk wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 18:45:
I mean, does no at that company see a pattern here?

Buyouts usually work out very well for the people making the decision to sell. They'll make a lot more selling the company than they ever would collecting a paycheck.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 13:00 Orogogus

NKD wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 12:44:
Combine this with a bunch of former military joining up after their deployments treating suburbia like its fucking Fallujah.

There were articles recently about a Marine veteran who got fired for not gunning down a suspect and choosing to de-escalate the situation. They said in so many words that soldiers get more training in target discrimination and protecting civilians than police do, and are taught to accept a greater amount of personal risk.

One article, from last December: link

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2017, 12:38 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 11:59:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 11:47:
I have to say the whole explosion of sexual harassment charges in the news has me wondering a bit. Is it just me?

I read this stuff and it just doesn't fit into my life experience. I have neither witnessed nor heard personal accounts of these types of actions. And I'd like to think if I did witness it, I'd step in and say something. I don't think I've ignored it -- but it sounds so damn common I wonder if I have been blissfully ignorant?

1) I'd wager you have seen some awful things happen, but didn't fully realize they were awful at the time. You may have laughed with them. In a lot of these circumstances, the victims were laughing along with it because it was easier than saying something. That isn't consent.

That seems a little extreme without knowing Tact's environment and history, and assumes that not some or most but the overwhelming majority of settings have predation going on and don't do anything about it. I don't think it's impossible for someone to have escaped exposure, especially if they've always worked in companies that keep their managers in check, where everyone can see what's going on, and with HR departments that believe what they preach.

But the point at the end is probably applicable. The ones in the news lately are well-known Hollywood celebrities, politicians, Olympic coaches and other people with a high degree of power over other people's careers, often with no one above them to tell them what they can or can't do. If Tact doesn't deal with that kind of power I don't think it's inconceivable that he hasn't seen anything like the Spacey allegations in person before. A manager at a public library, for example, can only threaten so much misery on their employees, not enough to give them the expectation of getting away with anything outrageously heinous.

17. Re: Landscaping Drama...Rand Paul Nov 8, 2017, 22:10 Orogogus

Scheherazade wrote on Nov 8, 2017, 21:27:
Foregrip :
https://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2006/04/041006-openletter-nfa-adding-vertical-fore-grip.html

(NFA violations generally come in the form of a few years + $100'000 in fines. The pistol+foregrip combo is just one example I like. There is literally a phone book worth of federal firearm regulations that can land you in jail - almost all of which don't require that you even harm anyone. Most non-gun-owners [and ignorant weekend gun buyers that only go as far as squirreling away a pistol in the closet] are unaware these laws even exist [and only find out after they post a picture to facebook, and someone either warns them or they get a knock on the door].)

I don't know if it's changed since 2006, but that link suggests that it's legal after you've register your intent to modify the weapon.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
18. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 8, 2017, 02:34 Orogogus

Beamer is clearly not saying that being foreign automatically makes you top talent. I thought his analogy was pretty easy to understand, but to take it down a notch -- if you want to find the fastest person, or the tallest, you're probably going to find someone faster or taller if you check every single person on the planet instead of just people in Detroit. You're not going to end up with someone slower or shorter, because "every single planet" includes the people in Detroit. So if you want the best, you look everywhere.

You, on the other hand, do seem to be saying that anyone who's top talent has got to be American. Or maybe that "good enough" is equivalent to "top". Is it that you think one worker is basically the same as any other once you've screened out the people who don't show up or steal from the company? Is "prioritizing hiring within your own country" really in the best interests of a company, any more than prioritizing the hiring of cat owners or left-handed people would be? When you talk about prioritizing the hiring of locals, it strongly implies that there are considerations other than hiring the best available candidate, which is where discussion seems to be falling apart.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
13. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 7, 2017, 13:06 Orogogus

wtf_man wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 12:32:
So, your assumption is that there arenít best qualified people in our country own country?

Man... You can't talk up how great and eminently qualified the homegrown talent is and then mangle the English language like that.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Nov 5, 2017, 20:22 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Nov 5, 2017, 17:58:
Cutter wrote on Nov 5, 2017, 14:26:
Creston wrote on Nov 5, 2017, 13:05:
It doesn't matter what Equifax does or doesn't do about that, it matters what the FTC will do.

Oh wait, the FTC just takes a bribe and shuts the fuck up, like the rest of our government.

Except when things get too hot then they go after them guns blazing. And that's the case here. Oh, I'm sure we'll see charges being laid against these guys before too long.
I guess it depends on how many rich white people got hurt. No one went to jail for causing the mortgage crisis a decade ago since the victims were largely poor and middle class and a lot of minorities. Bernie Madoff went to jail because he stole from rich white folks.

If there were that much of a fire to do something about Equifax then the Republican Senate wouldn't have voted to make arbitration clauses binding two weeks ago, taking class action lawsuits out of the equation. But they did. I don't believe the government is going to do anything bad to anyone significant at Equifax.

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 4, 2017, 17:55 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 01:51:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 3, 2017, 22:54:
What's a comparable consumer tech that ran with overpriced, underpowered enthusiast models for less than 2 years?
Things like Blu-Ray, TV's.

The PS3 was one of the earliest Blu-Ray players, and that thing lasted 7 years. As far as flatscreen TVs go, the graphic at the top of this page, if accurate, suggests a 2 year cycle more than 1 year to me, if not 3-4 years. In 1 year, sizes went up a little and the prices went down a little. In 3 years, the same amount of money would get you a substantially larger screen.

I'm just not really seeing the 1 year cycle. The iPhone is the whaliest piece of consumer electronics ever with fanbase dedication beyond all reason, and that thing's barely on a 1-2 year cycle. Expecting anything else to match that just doesn't seem reasonable to me.

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 3, 2017, 22:54 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 3, 2017, 21:42:
In regards to a quick 2nd gen... those who buy first gen are the whales/supporters. In CE they've been getting treated like that from the start. They buy first, they buy high. But CE typically comes out quickly with an improved cheaper model. I feel this needs to follow CE standards, which Valve/Facebook haven't, I think it has hurt. There are too many on the fence for V2 and if it were out, they would have grabbed them and kept the market hot. Now it is on simmer, too many waiting. That is a problem. I was holding out for V2 if the prices didn't come down, they came down and they have grabbed several like me, but still big chunk is waiting.

I think only the whaliest of whales would have jumped in Gen 1 if everyone knew Gen 2 would be out within a year, and Gen 3 a year after that. What's a comparable consumer tech that ran with overpriced, underpowered enthusiast models for less than 2 years? EGA was around for 3 years. The AdLib sold for 3 years before the Sound Blaster came on the market.

I feel like until the cost is more like $200, they really have to make sure that the whales (like me) buy into their next gen. I'd certainly have reservations about dropping $800 year after year.

Also, unless VR just gives up on the desktop space and goes mobile/standalone only, I don't see how they can really achieve next gen resolution gains without a corresponding jump in desktop PC power. We got that jump this gen, but there's not really another one on the immediate horizon, is there?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
20. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 3, 2017, 22:45 Orogogus

I feel like nomination committees and the like, especially ones related to politics, are always dominated by secret closed room meetings and and backstabbing. My college dormmate went to a Young Republicans nomination meeting a few decades and said cheerfully that it was totally full of bullshit. Backroom deals resulting in people getting crossed off the agenda and what have you. That kind of crap just seems to be how politics gets made. The revelation that the DNC rigged its process to favor a pre-selected candidate seems entirely non-revelatory to me. But nothing in the news really convinces me that Sanders would have won the nomination if it weren't being pushed towards Clinton, either.  

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 3, 2017, 14:20 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 3, 2017, 12:38:
You can't beat that, it's free to you, better than tempting, a no-brainer. I to was holding out for gen-2, but when Oculus dropped to $400 I bit. It isn't like I can't get a better VR headset in the future and pass the set(s) I have now down, we are pc gamers. I will repeat myself, the vendors have dropped the ball, they aren't consumer electronic companies and they should have had gen-2 ready to go not long after gen-1's release, that is how you build a market. Gen-2 should have been a bit better and much cheaper. We should be sitting here talking about gen-3 by now.

Eh. The first gen has only been out for a year and a half. I don't think we know anything about the video cards that will power the next gen VR headsets. I'm inclined to agree with Slick -- if Gen 2 were out now you'd find that most of the people who bought into Gen 1 at $800 a year ago, or at $400 now, wouldn't be ready to buy another headset right away, and the audience is probably still too small to count on an entire secondary core market to support an entire generation.

On the bright side, it seems like Valve's platform is open enough that Pimax and other companies can actually introduce higher-res headsets while using the same controllers and Lighthouses, so that's pretty cool.

News Comments > CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios
26. Re: Re: CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios Oct 31, 2017, 16:29 Orogogus

• HorrorScope wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 16:24:
    Kxmode wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 21:53:
    In other words, VR remains a niche product with an unsustainable and unprofitable user base.

Listen, there are many games out there not making a profit or a profit the publisher wants. Yes, like any business you need to understand your base and don't over invest in it, unless you are going long term vision. However, smaller houses, can an do make money with it, even some of those still don't, like 2D games. There was around 150 new offerings in Steam for VR in the month of October. Yep not all will make a worthy profit.

Two things not to engage with kxmode on are religion and VR.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2017, 02:02 Orogogus

1badmf wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 01:19:
    but i'd have to kill myself to even run a six minute mile once, nevermind 26 straight times.

4 hours would be 9+ minute miles, wouldn't it? 6 minute miles all the way through would be more like two and a half hours. There are 60 minutes in an hour, not 40.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Co-op Trailer
    9. Re: Far Cry 5 Co-op trailer Oct 30, 2017, 21:05 Orogogus

ItBurn wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 20:45:
    I think you might have clicked on a wrong link or something. The video and video descriptions are clear: "Play the entire campaign in co-op with a Friend".

I think they mean, assuming you don't finish the whole game in co-op, if you're not the host then after you go back to your own game, you have to do the same missions over again. The blurb seems to back this up: "Only the hosting player will be able to... keep the progress you make in the world"

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Released; Menu Includes Countdown
    35. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 29, 2017, 04:31 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 22:42:
    I don't even blame you. It's just ridiculous that you have to play a gimped version because of your governments inane "WE NEVER DID THAT" horseshit.

As far as I know, Germany is one of the most vigorous prosecutors of Holocaust deniers; in no way do they pretend the Nazis never happened. I think the idea is that they don't want video games using the symbology cheaply, or in a way against the official viewpoint. It's the opposite of how we treat Confederate history in the US, leaving all these Confederate statues and memorials around ostensibly so that people can reflect on the mistakes of the past... or they can do the other thing with all the states' rights crap. I'm pretty sure that's the exact scenario that Germany was trying to avoid.

And in modern video games they would have a cow over people rallying around the swastika in multiplayer games.

1612 Comments. 81 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
    and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo