Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1825 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Humble Offers LEGO: The Hobbit For Free
9. Re: Humble Offers LEGO: The Hobbit For Free Dec 14, 2018, 02:29 Orogogus

MattyC wrote on Dec 13, 2018, 23:56:
free adverb
without payment

:/

That's not an adverb.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ZeniMax and Facebook Settling VR Lawsuit
9. Re: ZeniMax and Facebook Settling VR Lawsuit Dec 12, 2018, 22:42 Orogogus

"While we dislike litigation,

No they don't! They're the lawsuit company! It's what they do.

My read of the litigation is that Carmack might have been stealing technology in a way that hurt ZeniMax if you believe they were working on a VR headset. That's the basis of the injunction they tried to have put in. But if you believe that, you're either stupid, or you've got an axe to grind, like CJ Parker, who's basically made up entirely of axes to grind. Zenimax doesn't make VR headsets, they weren't planning to make VR headsets, and they're never going to make a VR headset. What they make are lawsuits.

News Comments > Beyond Good and Evil 2 Videos
20. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Videos Dec 12, 2018, 22:37 Orogogus

rjdriver wrote on Dec 12, 2018, 16:24:
Red886 wrote on Dec 12, 2018, 10:49:
ccop means no strong SP set scenes ala Bioshock / HL2 / Rise of the Tomb Raider / Mass Effect 1-2-3 etc ( as an example) , so adding in coop is a huge loss

We'll have to see how they handle it. If they control how far apart coop players can get from each other. they can still steer them back together for an occasional such event. But based on how Ubi used those mandatory "get caught by the enemy no matter what you do" set scenes in Far Cry 5, I can certainly live without them.

System Shock 2 and Halo are singleplayer-oriented games with co-op. Both blithely ignore the second player in their set pieces. I thought Dead Space 3 did it pretty well. The co-op/singleplayer was fine, I thought the microtransactiony crafting was the bigger problem.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
8. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 7, 2018, 11:14 Orogogus

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 7, 2018, 05:24:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 7, 2018, 02:04:
I mean, I think Sony hates PC gaming more than Microsoft does. Xbox One stuff comes out on PC through Play Anywhere, while PC-originated properties like Borderlands, Psychonauts and Skyrim end up as timed PSVR exclusives. It's unfortunate that they screw up everything they touch, but I think they've actually been contributing to PC games in the last few years, while Nintendo has been zero and Sony has been anti-.

No, they don't. Sony just do their own thing. They have no stake in PC gaming and it is their prerogative to skip the PC as a platform. They simply do not care about the PC and that's fine.

I'd have agreed until PSVR. Games that have been PC franchises are now becoming timed exclusives. If they really didn't care about PC VR then these games would be releasing simultaneously. Games like Astro Bot or Ace Combat, whatever; like PHJF says, those are console games that sometimes come over to PC. But Skyrim wasn't primarily a console game. Resident Evil used to be, but the new RE is available on PC, just not for PC VR. For the timed exclusives, Sony is spending money for games not to come out for PC VR (right away). There's an argument for how they're funding these games and they deserve the exclusives, but at the end of the day, that's what they're doing with their cash.

They have had one goal since introducing the first Xbox in 2001: Convince PC gamers that the PC is a shitty gaming platform and that Xbox is the only God thou shalt have. They want to sell us their precious little boxes, their peripherals and their games and their subs.

Again, if that was their only goal, it would be pretty easy not to release things through Play Anywhere. It's more work to have it there than not, and it doesn't really help the Xbox.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 7, 2018, 02:04 Orogogus

I mean, I think Sony hates PC gaming more than Microsoft does. Xbox One stuff comes out on PC through Play Anywhere, while PC-originated properties like Borderlands, Psychonauts and Skyrim end up as timed PSVR exclusives. It's unfortunate that they screw up everything they touch, but I think they've actually been contributing to PC games in the last few years, while Nintendo has been zero and Sony has been anti-.  

News Comments > 2084 Early Access Next Week
3. Re: 2084 Early Access Next Week Dec 5, 2018, 20:52 Orogogus

Rhialto wrote on Dec 5, 2018, 12:23:
I wonder why the number 2084 exactly because to me this number is tied to Robotron: 2084 the classic arcade game. I've asked this as a comment on Youtube, let's see if they answer.

One possibility -- xx84 is convenient shorthand for dystopian future, thanks to Orwell's 1984.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in September
13. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in September Dec 2, 2018, 15:41 Orogogus

Overon wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 14:11:
While you do make some good points and I'm sure there is merit to what you say to some degree, to blame crotchety old grognards for the Mechwarrior IP floundering and being sold to second rate studios has cause and effect backwards. Mechwarrior was not always developed by second rate studios. After it became less simulation and more arcade like, that's when the PC crotchety grognards got upset.

You can't ignore your core fans by trying to appeal to the more casual people in order to try to expand your audience. You risk alienating your core audience. It almost never works, especially if it's a niche genre to being with.

I agree with Primalchrome, I think the Mechwarrior IP is one of the most toxic around, and if it were me I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. You'd be better off making up own robots and background. The fanbase is always asking for AAA money to be spent on a game that will never, ever make back AAA profits, living a delusionary world if the right 'Mech game were made, people would be playing Mechwarrior instead of Fortnite, MOBAs, FPSes or whatever. I feel pretty often that MW developers should listen to the grognard crowd and then give serious consideration to doing the opposite of what they're saying. They're not always wrong... but it's pretty often.

Like, right in that video's comments, there are people bitching that the Locust is running around too fast and doesn't look like it's heavy enough. But no one's going to pilot them if they move any slower than that; they'll be deathtraps (especially in MWO). And then usually those same people are complaining that PGI hasn't put in the Dasher/Fire Moth or Fireball yet.

VR and co-op makes this probably a day one purchase for me. The comparable titles available now and on the horizon just don't have the same kind of money behind them. Like, Vox Machinae is pretty fun, but there's no campaign and only 5 mechs.

Primalchrome wrote:
We will probably never see a two inch thick manual for Falcon 4.0 again

My understanding is that DCS sits in that space right now, although the manuals are digital nowadays.

I've asked before, what do people want out of AI in a game like this? I've always felt that the AI doesn't have to be much more complicated than running at the player's 'Mechs while firing guns. In MWO, a designer's goal is probably to have as many matches as possible be close-fought, with one team winning by the skin of its teeth instead of rolling the enemy. But that's less fun in a single player campaign, especially a mercenary one. Like, the number one tactic in this kind of game is to group up and focus fire your enemies. But how fun is that if every mission the AI is burning down at least a few of your 'Mechs, if not gunning for the PC, who's probably sitting in the most threatening 'Mech? It seems to me that you see the same thing in HBS' BattleTech, where a lot of player strategy consists of isolating and focusing down targets; if the AI were realistic, that wouldn't work every single time. Missions are interesting because of their scripting combined with AI so dumb that players can take on three or four times their tonnage.

You see the same thing in games like Wing Commander or Freespace, which use terminology and mission design to make it sound military and professional, but in actual gameplay, success depends on you, personally, being better than 15 or 20 of the enemy's pilots. Those schmuck aliens aren't constantly shifting shields full to rear, dumping their stored weapons power, afterburning the hell out of Dodge and calling all their friends to shoot you down.

News Comments > Steam Increasing Revenue Share for Biggest Sellers
19. Re: Steam Increasing Revenue Share for Biggest Sellers Dec 2, 2018, 01:11 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 01:00:
EA's return policy is much better than Steam.

Something I found a bizarre about Origin when I bought the Mass Effect DLC packs last week is that they don't have a shopping cart. You buy what you're looking at or you go home. The Oculus store is like this, too. I don't know if Origin has holiday sales like Steam does, but I know Oculus does, and I just think, if you're not going to have a shopping cart, why even bother? Do they really get as many impulse purchases from people checking out multiple purchases one at a time?

News Comments > Steam Increasing Revenue Share for Biggest Sellers
17. Re: Steam Increasing Revenue Share for Biggest Sellers Dec 2, 2018, 01:00 Orogogus

Dev wrote on Dec 2, 2018, 00:21:
Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2018, 20:07:
go with platforms that actually ask for a reasonable cut say 5-10 points max.
What ones offer that? I mean 5% is barely above the credit card cut.

itch.io is the only one I know -- I believe developers can set itch.io's cut to anything, including 0% or 100%.

As far as I can see, Steam and GOG are both 30%, while Humble Bundle has a 75% developer/15% Humble Bundle/10% charity split (minus ~5% processing fees before the split).

News Comments > X4: Foundations Launches
18. Re: X4: Foundations Launches Dec 1, 2018, 02:30 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Dec 1, 2018, 01:36:
Ravor wrote on Nov 30, 2018, 21:46:
Has anyone else noticed how phallic the spaceship looks?

You're describing most spaceships in most sci-fi properties. The nose of an X-Wing is a giant circumcised penis, for example.

He's talking about the one in the preview image, which goes beyond just being long and thin, featuring two testicles.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
17. Re: etc. Nov 30, 2018, 21:57 Orogogus

Eirikrautha wrote on Nov 30, 2018, 17:42:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 30, 2018, 11:40:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 30, 2018, 08:43:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 30, 2018, 02:43:
Eirikrautha wrote on Nov 29, 2018, 16:48:
He was also the official composer of the Third Reich.

Citation? I don't believe this was a thing.

Citation. Though it is Wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt. To summarize succinctly, it is a matter of debate as to whether Orff was in any way associated with the NSDAP or not.

I'd looked at the article, and didn't see anything that suggested he was the official composer of the Nazi party. What do you see that says he was?
Hitler was quoted as saying this on a number of occasions. But it was Hitler's unofficial designation that Orff never rejected.

Well, again, citation? A quick Google search didn't turn this up.

He was definitely a Nazi and collaborated with them, which should be enough for my point.

I don't see this, either. He made music for them -- although certainly not Carmina -- because they were in charge of Germany, and he tried to cozy up to them to get them to buy his work. But I don't see anything that suggests he was a proponent of their ideals. I don't think he was any more a Nazi than Daimler-Benz making armaments for the Reich, or most of the soldiery. I think he's a poor example for this argument.

News Comments > Star Control: Origins Gets Free Reinforcements Next Week
4. Re: Star Control: Origins Gets Free Reinforcements Next Week Nov 30, 2018, 11:42 Orogogus

What's the difference between that and the Ur Quan Masters, which has been freely available forever?  

15. Re: etc. Nov 30, 2018, 11:40 Orogogus

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 30, 2018, 08:43:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 30, 2018, 02:43:

Citation. Though it is Wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt. To summarize succinctly, it is a matter of debate as to whether Orff was in any way associated with the NSDAP or not.

I'd looked at the article, and didn't see anything that suggested he was the official composer of the Nazi party. What do you see that says he was?

13. Re: etc. Nov 30, 2018, 02:43 Orogogus

News Comments > She and the Light Bearer Demo
3. Re: She and the Light Bearer Demo Nov 25, 2018, 15:37 Orogogus

For most games, sure, but I feel for point-and-click adventures, gameplay videos are spoily for both gameplay and story and at the same time just boring. Watching someone move the cursor around is like sitting through an instructional video when you just wanted a quarter page of readable text.  

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Nov 25, 2018, 14:33 Orogogus

There's also a Mass Effect 3 DLC bundle for 50% off:
Link

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Nov 21, 2018, 02:04 Orogogus

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 20, 2018, 18:17:
I jumped on one when they were $9 w/shipping during the steam summer sale. Wish I would have gotten 3 or 4 of them though.

Well, they're not going for much more than that right now on Steam -- $2.50 + $8 shipping = $10.50. But it does say stock is low and the order volume is high.

News Comments > Is Technomasculinity a Thing?
37. Re: Is Technomasculinity a Thing? Nov 14, 2018, 10:45 Orogogus

djinn wrote on Nov 14, 2018, 05:19:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 14, 2018, 04:43:
It's like the racist pseudoscientists who'd identify a random physical difference between Africans and Caucasians and proclaim it as proof that Africans are an inferior race.

Speaking of huge leaps...

Uh huh. You have a physical difference you don't understand, you just know it's there, so you say, "the stereotypes are true." Sure.

News Comments > Is Technomasculinity a Thing?
34. Re: Is Technomasculinity a Thing? Nov 14, 2018, 04:43 Orogogus

djinn wrote on Nov 14, 2018, 03:32:
[edit] The professor's doctorate is in mass communication but he's writing papers casting doubt on biological research:

“Gender is socially organized in the West in a hierarchized binary differentiating men and women along supposedly natural or biological masculine and feminine traits,” said Johnson.

It seems to me that there's a big jump from "Men and women's brains are biologically different and therefore we should include this demographic information in clinical studies," to "girls play with dolls and boys play with guns and a woman's place is in the kitchen, hoo-rah." You don't know what the differences mean, but you assume they back up stereotypes and gender roles originating from hunter-gatherer days. It's like the racist pseudoscientists who'd identify a random physical difference between Africans and Caucasians and proclaim it as proof that Africans are an inferior race.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
7. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Nov 5, 2018, 22:11 Orogogus

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 5, 2018, 11:21:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 5, 2018, 10:54:
I don't think it's physical only -- I'm inclined to doubt that the World of Warcraft expansion could punch as high as it does solely on physical sales -- but I'm pretty sure they don't have Steam's data.

It's retail only, they say so on their site.

It seems to me that their site says they cover at least some web sales.

Link

The methodology used across all GfK Chart-Track's services is continuous quantitative retail research. GfK Chart-Track reports are based on retail/web sales where the data is captured electronically each day via EPoS systems.

Without knowing how Valve, EA, Blizzard, etc. handle their electronic sales, it's not impossible that they're included if they use an EPoS system to handle their digital sales.

1825 Comments. 92 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo