Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1852 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 16, 2019, 23:10 Orogogus

MattyC wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 05:56:
Orogogus wrote on Sep 15, 2019, 18:29:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 15, 2019, 17:09:
Greedfall outsells Gears? Didn't see that coming.
it's being rated poorly because of technical issues. So I think it's lucky to be #4.

I would think this must mean it is selling quite well. I can't think of any reason to get it on Steam at all.

What technical issues? I haven't found any yet. It runs remarkably well on my ancient setup (i7 930, 16GB, 1060 GTX 6GB VRAM)even though it says its unsupported (I think that is just because I don't use the "GeForce experience" or whatever for my drivers though, I'll pass on beta drivers).

Lucky to be #4 on Steam, while selling quite well elsewhere, yes.

A quick look at the negative reviews on Steam suggests connectivity/server issues at launch and sound issues. And I guess a lot of people are unhappy about microtransactions for cosmetics.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 15, 2019, 18:29 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Sep 15, 2019, 17:09:
Greedfall outsells Gears? Didn't see that coming.

Gears is sold on the Microsoft Store, too, and I think there was some deal that made their game pass a good value if you were paying for an Xbox Live subscription. Plus the older games aren't on Steam, so they don't have much of a brand-loyal base on the PC. On top of which, it's being rated poorly because of technical issues. So I think it's lucky to be #4.

News Comments > Get Assassin's Creed Odyssey Fields of Elysium for Free
12. Re: Get Assassin's Creed Odyssey Fields of Elysium for Free Aug 27, 2019, 19:50 Orogogus

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 16:44:
Orogogus wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 15:29:
The Uplay link:
https://register.ubisoft.com/acod-dlc-giveaway

I don't think it's linked anywhere on their store. If it is, they've hidden it well.

It's the second-most recent item in their news feed, posted ~9 hours ago, and there's a button link to it on the AC:O store page. Would be more visible if it were a banner, instead, but eh.

I think my issue is that if you go to store.ubi.com, i.e., the store page, there's no link to the news page, and you can go to the page for the DLC where it will show a -40% sale price instead of the -100% promotion. There are places they could advertise it -- their Gamescom sale is getting plenty of screen real estate -- and For Honor is showing a -100% promotion, but for whatever reason they want you to go to ubisoft.com to see this promotion.

EDIT: There's no button for the promotion on Odyssey's store page (i.e., where you can actually buy the game), the button is on the game's marketing page.

News Comments > Get Assassin's Creed Odyssey Fields of Elysium for Free
2. Re: Get Assassin's Creed Odyssey Fields of Elysium for Free Aug 27, 2019, 15:29 Orogogus

The Uplay link:
https://register.ubisoft.com/acod-dlc-giveaway

I don't think it's linked anywhere on their store. If it is, they've hidden it well.

News Comments > Rust Axing Linux Client; Offering Refunds
5. Re: Rust Axing Linux Client; Offering Refunds Aug 17, 2019, 20:04 Orogogus

necrosis wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 17:06:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 14:07:
Facepunch Studios? More like Facepalm Studios.
Gaming on linux? The ones that bought into it are the idiots.
I've heard that Valve has done amazing work in the last few years getting games working in Linux, and that what used to be hours of messing around with scripts or worse is now checking a box before installation and the majority of games on Steam now just run.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 5, 2019, 01:19 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Aug 4, 2019, 21:15:
Every game on this list is like three + years old. Sparse summer for PC gaming.

Well, Total War: Three Kingdoms just came out, and a few of them are only 2+ years (Oxygen and NieR), but basically, ya. Everyone always wants to cram their big releases into the holiday rush.

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 4, 2019, 17:19 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Aug 4, 2019, 16:18:
Interesting that the Index is selling more than twice the number of headsets only, no controllers. I guess most people are using their headsets seated for games like Elite, DCS, Overload, etc? Strange that the top selling VR games are all ones you play with controllers though. Maybe people are using their old controllers?

How can you tell that the full kit is selling more than twice as much as the headset/controller SKU? Are there numbers sold for some of these?

As noted, the VR Kit is the full set. The headset/controller combo lacks the Lighthouses. So more people are buying the whole thing instead of Vive owners upgrading into the new kit.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2019, 02:32 Orogogus

Wing Commander 1 was a $60 game in 1990, and had two $30 expansion packs. Inflation calculator says that in 2019 dollars that's $117 + (2x$59) = $235. WC2 had two expansions plus a speech pack.

So whenever the golden age of gaming took place, it probably came on floppy disks.

News Comments > Farming Simulator 19 Gets John Deere Cotton DLC
6. Re: Farming Simulator 19 Gets John Deere Cotton DLC Jul 24, 2019, 02:02 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Jul 23, 2019, 13:34:
Bumpy wrote on Jul 23, 2019, 12:52:
#19?! Who the heck keeps buying this game?

Still waiting for Goat Simulator 6.

Pretty sure the 19 is because "2019" and not because this is the nineteenth release.

That said, they do seem to be up to #11. That's kind of impressive.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 24, 2019, 01:57 Orogogus

Razumen wrote on Jul 23, 2019, 20:06:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 23:36:
Razumen wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 22:05:
First off, where does it say it's based on profits?
Secondly, even if it is, it still DOES mean quite a lot. The rest of the games are huge sellers. So the fact that there are not only one but TWO Index SKU'S is quite good news for it, especially when we're talking about stats from the biggest PC marketplace.

It's labeled in the raw feed from Valve: Link

But it's not based on profit, it's based on revenue, as Redeye said. And it's well and good to say the other games are huge sellers, but Prey Digital Deluxe is selling for just $8 this week. If Prey DD sold (for example) a million copies, that means the Index headset + controllers pack would have had to have sold less than ~12K units. The latest numbers I see for the Vive estimate it at 130K units sold in Q4 2018 (compared to 150K Rift and 700K PSVR). So the numbers for the headset + controllers kit probably aren't going to set the world on fire.

You can't really speculate much about #1, though, other than to say that it's at least doing better than if it weren't #1.

Come on, if you're going to compare it to anything, compare it to the #2 game which is $30, don't go down the list and cherry pick-it really weakens your argument.

This is math, not fanboyism. The $8 game provides a way of loosely estimating an upper bound for the headset & controller kit at #10. If you use the $30 game, you get a worse estimate.

I said specifically, "You can't really speculate much about #1." So that's off the table. So how can you estimate the maximum that #10 sold? You "cherry pick" the lowest priced item and apply some educated guesses about how much it could have sold in a week. For most games, one million would be really good.

I get that you want to be all fanboy yay! about this, but use some critical thinking here.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation
33. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 22, 2019, 23:16 Orogogus

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 22, 2019, 17:31:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 22, 2019, 14:44:
Darks was referencing Piranha Bytes.

No he wasn't. Piranha Bytes have only released the following games: Gothic 1, 2 + NotR add-on, Gothic 3, Risen series (three games) and Elex. Not a single one of their games has even had multiplayer, let alone any MMO crap inside of it.

Darks was referencing Piranha Games, the devs of MechWarrior Online as well as MW5 here.

Ya. But it's generally known that MWO is barely paying the bills -- no surprise, 6 years is a pretty good run -- and that MW5 is their attempt to establish some new revenue.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 22, 2019, 11:34 Orogogus

MrBone wrote on Jul 22, 2019, 07:20:
If it is 130K units, that is incredible. Picked up just the headset myself the other day. Canít wait to test it out.

130K was the Vive in Q4 2018, not the Index last week.

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 21, 2019, 23:36 Orogogus

Razumen wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 22:05:
First off, where does it say it's based on profits?
Secondly, even if it is, it still DOES mean quite a lot. The rest of the games are huge sellers. So the fact that there are not only one but TWO Index SKU'S is quite good news for it, especially when we're talking about stats from the biggest PC marketplace.

It's labeled in the raw feed from Valve: Link

But it's not based on profit, it's based on revenue, as Redeye said. And it's well and good to say the other games are huge sellers, but Prey Digital Deluxe is selling for just $8 this week. If Prey DD sold (for example) a million copies, that means the Index headset + controllers pack would have had to have sold less than ~12K units. The latest numbers I see for the Vive estimate it at 130K units sold in Q4 2018 (compared to 150K Rift and 700K PSVR). So the numbers for the headset + controllers kit probably aren't going to set the world on fire.

You can't really speculate much about #1, though, other than to say that it's at least doing better than if it weren't #1.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation
15. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries FAQ Changes Spawn Epic Games Store Speculation Jul 21, 2019, 18:01 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 17:30:
But if it's 2 million bucks, you could offer a deal where the first 2 million worth of sales go at a rate of 20%, then it goes back to the normal rate. Or something similar.

They did the opposite, I think, back in November. As a game's revenue goes up, Valve's cut goes down. Epic's been snapping up the large games, so this addresses those publishers:

Link

News Comments > PC Tetris Effect Next Week on Epic Games Store
11. Re: PC Tetris Effect Next Week on Epic Games Store Jul 17, 2019, 04:15 Orogogus

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 16, 2019, 22:33:
Well, just be happy that itís no longer exclusive to the PS4, as so many other VR games are. It might be an exclusive but so are tons of games on Oculusí store, whereís the daily hate for THAT?

I feel like Oculus generally gets way more hate for its VR exclusives than Sony does. Just on this board I know Slick gets super triggered, and it's the same on Reddit. People, including CJ Parker, tend to handwave away Sony's exclusives as a natural consequence of them being a console company, even when it applies to entrenched PC games like Borderlands or Skyrim.

But on a day-to-day basis, I'd say people would complain more about Oculus if their exclusives were worth caring about. They've had a few worthwhile titles, especially right around the Rift and Touch launches, but I think they make more misses than hits. I thought Vader Immortal and the Marvel game were garbage, which is like turning gold into lead.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Roadmap
49. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 17, 2019, 03:56 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Jul 16, 2019, 08:57:
It is a scrolling nightmare.
But I still don't get the "I won't use it without a shopping cart" argument. Has anyone here actually had a time when they wanted to buy multiple products from Epic at one time? Even if you did, how much longer does it take to check out with two products, when everything is two clicks?

It just seems like table stakes for them, sure, but it's so odd to me that it consistently makes the "I won't use EGS without this feature!" list. Of all the features, that feels bottom half to me. Weird to not be there, but 99% of my game transactions are one at a time, and even during the Steam sale, I regularly buy something, then see something 5 minutes later that I want and buy it, then see something 2 minutes later and buy that. It's really not particularly time consuming or frustrating, unlike cloud saves, or a decent layout with proper information.

I can't speak to the Epic Store, but ran into this on the Oculus Store. When Steam runs a sale, I might browse a few pages and stick a bunch of things that look interesting into the cart, then pare it back to a reasonable dollar amount and check out. On the Oculus Store, I buy the thing I was there for and then usually stop before spending any more money because I failed a save against buyer's remorse. And also, I think my mind is just wired to do my browsing and picking, and then pay for it. Spending money and then looking at more stuff doesn't seem to come naturally.

So that's good for me because I have too many games already, but it doesn't seem to help them. From my point of view, I don't know why Oculus even bothers to have themed sales.

On a more practical note, there are anecdotes of cartless storefronts triggering credit card fraud protection on people who do buy more than one thing.

Another missing feature I don't get: Why don't Epic, Uplay, Oculus and the Microsoft Store let me see my games library through the web interface? You really need me to run your app to see that information? How does this help them?

News Comments > Mike Rose Starts G2A Petition
24. Re: Mike Rose Starts G2A Petition Jul 9, 2019, 01:19 Orogogus

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 13:10:
(which would be a valid use of the Fair Sale Doctrine argument in the US)

It's "First Sale Doctrine."

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2019, 20:12 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Jun 30, 2019, 14:42:
Bizarrely, bananas are mentioned in music more than any other fruit is.

Might have something to do with... the shape?

I think most common fruits, like apples, oranges and watermelons, don't rhyme well. Berries (and cherries) do, but there are so many that their count gets diluted.

News Comments > Gabe Newell Almost Says Three
24. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 30, 2019, 01:47 Orogogus

Slick wrote on Jun 29, 2019, 23:01:
Steam regularly makes more money from a game sale by ringing your credit card than the entire studio that made the game sees. This is a bean-counter "suit" wet dream.

When does that happen? It's been generally reported that Steam (and GOG, and Apple) take 30%, or a straight $100 for games that come in through Steam Direct. Or are you comparing revenue to profit?

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 21, 2019, 03:22 Orogogus

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 00:36:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 20, 2019, 22:18:
If all it takes it looking down a lot then there are probably a ton of professions that have even bigger "horns".

Seriously. I was expecting some radiation based link, but just leaning your head forward? What about people who spend a lot of time looking down at a desk, to write/draw/read etc. seems like it's needlessly targeting cellphone/tablet users. Not that people shouldn't spend LESS time on said devices, but anything that has you tilting your head forward for hours probably causes these horns/spurs.

I feel like most people at a desk job spend most of their time looking at a monitor, at most probably a -30 degree angle. I guess -45 degrees if it's a laptop. I could see the angle on phone use being a little steeper than that, more like staring at the near edge of your desk all day.

1852 Comments. 93 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo