Descending
Limit Results:

47 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

No subject
Jul 1, 2004, 19:56
No subject Jul 1, 2004, 19:56
Jul 1, 2004, 19:56

Hadn't heard about that. That's a big investment to stop bottom feeders, though. People just download the screeners anyway.

No subject
Jul 1, 2004, 19:14
No subject Jul 1, 2004, 19:14
Jul 1, 2004, 19:14

I'm more disturbed by the projectionist ogling the crowd with goggles. I doubt he bought them to look for tapers. I wouldn't be surprised if he called the MPAA then went back to wanking to people fooling around in the dark.

Re: No subject
Jun 24, 2004, 20:01
Re: No subject Jun 24, 2004, 20:01
Jun 24, 2004, 20:01

> I don't know what the "LOL" refers to.

I think LOL refers to the fact that Sony does just about zero to promote online play. Contrast that to MS's approach, which has taken off like a rocket, and it sounds like typical exec excuses.

No subject
Jun 17, 2004, 20:06
No subject Jun 17, 2004, 20:06
Jun 17, 2004, 20:06

So is Colin McRae 04 a WRC sim or a Le Mans sim?

Re: Why 4 years... this is why.
May 15, 2004, 12:16
Re: Why 4 years... this is why. May 15, 2004, 12:16
May 15, 2004, 12:16

> Really, the major difference is that Valve has about 10x
> more employees than Id, and therefore can take the time to
> clean up their conversions and make them pretty. Oh yeah
> and the fact that without CS they would have sold about 5%
> as many copies of HL.

If they have 10x the employees, how come they get 1/2 the work done?

They have released what amounts to a mod for Quake1. A few technology tweaks and a lot of content. And since then they have marketed other people's mods. What HAS Valve been doing these past five years?

This comment was edited on May 15, 12:16.

They should rename the game...
Feb 27, 2004, 18:50
They should rename the game... Feb 27, 2004, 18:50
Feb 27, 2004, 18:50

WinBiosFear: Phoenix.

Re: Winamp...
Feb 1, 2004, 18:37
Re: Winamp... Feb 1, 2004, 18:37
Feb 1, 2004, 18:37

Just to allay everyone's fears, Winamp5 is great. I ran both for a while to see if I was losing anything, and even the memory/CPU usage is the same in Winamp5. Set it to the "classic" skin though, or it will eat up some more CPU.

It also has really nice hotkey support (ie: I use WIN+C to play/pause winamp from games without switching focus... every other function is configurable too), nicer ID3 handling, more audio/video formats, and a bunch of other stuff I haven't used.

Winamp3 was crap, but Winamp5 is a great upgrade to 2.9, even for those of us who just want a fast simple MP3 player that doesn't bleed our systems dry.

No subject
Jan 23, 2004, 19:03
No subject Jan 23, 2004, 19:03
Jan 23, 2004, 19:03

There's a huge difference between open wheel racers like those and street cars. Namely the weight. I don't know how much AMod cars weigh, but it's a heck of a lot less than any street car, and so the effect of downforce is going to be more.

If someone showed up in a class like mine (CS, although I skipped CenDiv this year) with a Batwing on the back of their car (heck, people have :/ ) they'd be laughed off the track. There's no way that your typical riceboy wing on the back of a Civic is going to improve your times at autocross. Your $200 would be better spent on an alignment and a clue.

You certainly could reach a speed where downforce would be useful in a Civic, but you'd have to have some serious suspension tuning to make rear downforce useful. I doubt the ideal autox setup for a Civic is one that would even make a spoiler useful. Even if it were useful, for autocross the money is better spent on suspension and tires. Granted, for street posing a spoiler is better; nobody will notice your suspension in a stoplight race, after all.

No subject
Jan 23, 2004, 01:42
No subject Jan 23, 2004, 01:42
Jan 23, 2004, 01:42

The sherrif thinks the guy got in trouble due to way too much power? Dollars to donuts the guy had cut springs, nailed the bump stops from the weight transfer while trying to keep the torque steer under control, and was slightly off-center, sending him darting off the road.

Regardless, nothing is going to stop kids from racing in the street. It's just too bad when they don't survive long enough to realize how dangerous it is. I was lucky enough to learn before I wrapped myself around a pole.

No subject
Jan 22, 2004, 23:23
No subject Jan 22, 2004, 23:23
Jan 22, 2004, 23:23

They can't call it torque, cause none of the econoboxes in the game HAVE any torque!

I wish someone would stop measuring GT3 as the mark to hit for a realistic racer. It's really not all that realistic.

BTW, about spoilers... it varies depending on the spoiler, but your average spoiler isn't going to do much except cause drag until around 100MPH. That is, assuming it's trimmed for downforce, which 99% of the spoilers out there are NOT. To add insult to injury, they also add weight to the back of the car, which is not really what you want in your average massively-understeering front-drive econobox.

Re: No subject
Nov 22, 2003, 09:41
Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 09:41
Nov 22, 2003, 09:41

Holy crap, when was the last time we saw an actual company representitive post here!? BioWare, you guys are the greatest. Not only are your games some of the best stuff out there, but your support has always been awesome as well.

Another $50 for BioWare. God help me if they ever revive the BG series...

Re: decent, but just another arcade
Nov 4, 2003, 20:00
Re: decent, but just another arcade Nov 4, 2003, 20:00
Nov 4, 2003, 20:00

Thanks for the review, beaver. You just saved me a download. Welp, back to Live for Speed! I'd rather have fake cars and realistic handling than real cars and fake handling. Especially if it's slanted towards the Japanese econoboxes. :/

Re: Awesome
Nov 3, 2003, 22:15
Re: Awesome Nov 3, 2003, 22:15
Nov 3, 2003, 22:15

The year 1337? LOL!

Re: Final Fantasy and the movie
Oct 9, 2003, 19:53
Re: Final Fantasy and the movie Oct 9, 2003, 19:53
Oct 9, 2003, 19:53

Hey! Cabin Boy was funny!

"Do ya wanna buy a monkey?"

Re: Death
Oct 9, 2003, 19:52
Re: Death Oct 9, 2003, 19:52
Oct 9, 2003, 19:52

Creston hit the nail on the head. Still, I'm sure it will be wildly successful, which is truly unfortunate.

As for an extra $1/month to prevent griefers... nice try! Look at how many people spend HOURS online tweaking their cheats or just being general assholes to other players. For $13 a month I can play FF. For $14 I can play FF and totally piss off a bunch of people. For any griefer out there, the extra 8% cost is nothing.

And YMS, storage space is not an issue here. Do the math. If each character is 100K (that is a LOT of data) and you had 400,000 subscribers, that's still only 40GB. Lets go nuts and say you had a MILLION subscribers. That's still only 100GB. In these days of 300GB IDE drives and SAN's, even 1TB is small potatoes. And it's not like FF will require more data per player than other MMO games.

Yeah, gamers are whiney, and they all think companies are trying to ream them. But in this case, they are right.

I'm so glad I gave up on FF and its ilk back in the SNES days!

Re: Spiders
Oct 8, 2003, 09:38
Re: Spiders Oct 8, 2003, 09:38
Oct 8, 2003, 09:38

I bought a Miata last May, and I have a really weird looking spider (like a tiny tarantula) that lives in the back end of it near the gas cap. I'm happy to let the litte guy enjoy the car with me, but I've always wondered if he was some kind of stowaway Japanese spider we don't have here in the States. Am I introducing a new species to the US?

Spiders
Oct 8, 2003, 08:52
Spiders Oct 8, 2003, 08:52
Oct 8, 2003, 08:52

Blue, I had a similar experience this weekend... a spider managed to get stuck in my blob of putty (www.thinkingputty.com). It took a good five minutes to get the little bugger free, cause every time I would loosen one of his legs, he would fidget and get stuck worse. Eventually he settled down and stopped trying to attack my knife, and I managed to get him out, but not before he lost part of one of his back legs. I wish I could have gotten him out completely intact, but I'm sure he's happier out hunting bugs, even with 7.5 legs.

Re: I'm honestly shocked...
Oct 8, 2003, 08:47
Re: I'm honestly shocked... Oct 8, 2003, 08:47
Oct 8, 2003, 08:47

> I just think you're reading too much into the situation
> to suit your view of the events. I don't see any reason
> to believe that Valve is being dishonest or underhanded
> in this matter. They got screwed pretty bad. If I had
> worked on HL2 I sure wouldn't want that beta out there
> because it's not representative of the final product. No
> one wants their unfinished work to be seen by
> the "general public," i.e. people who may not understand
> the circumstances, how far along the game is, what to
> expect, etc. I might look at the beta and realize how
> cool it is and that it means the final game will be even
> cooler, but some might see it and say "What the hell is
> this, I'm not buying it now..." It's just a bad situation
> for Valve.

True, I'm biased. I have had an axe to grind with Valve for a long time, for killing TF2 for years, for preventing us from checking for cheaters while providing VAC (which is useless for anyone but CS/DoD servers), for making our list of thousands of cheaters useless totally unncessarily, and now for insulting us by telling us they need five more months to clean up after these hackers.

BUT, that's beside the point. Yeah, Valve got screwed, but I still see no reason this should delay the game. If they are worried about someone modifying the source, fire up VSS and do a diff on the whole tree with the last known clean date. If they have some security stuff that needs to be "rewritten", do it. If it's truly secure all they'll have to do is regenerate their private keys. And FFS, change all your passwords, people!

Bottom line, nothing they should have to do as result of a break-in should take five months. Shit, you could bring in a college intern to do those things in a day, tops.

If Valve isn't lying to us, Vivendi is, and Valve is towing the line.

Re: ......
Oct 8, 2003, 00:36
Re: ...... Oct 8, 2003, 00:36
Oct 8, 2003, 00:36

> Seriously, Im sick of people bitching about patches. Get
> a clue about game software development and shit might
> jsut be a bit more clear.

Publishers push developers to release games according to their schedule, and the games ship with bugs. People buy the games anyway, so the publishers keep doing it.

That's about the whole process. Games don't HAVE TO ship with the mess of bugs they do, but it's as much the fault of the customer as it is the publisher or the developer. Similar to the whole blame game with media/parents/kids.

If you're sick of buggy games that require patches, and HL2 releases in that state, don't buy it. That's the only signal you can send that means ANYTHING. But of course nobody will do that. They'll buy it, and the process will repeat until people finally get fed up.

Re: I'm honestly shocked...
Oct 8, 2003, 00:31
Re: I'm honestly shocked... Oct 8, 2003, 00:31
Oct 8, 2003, 00:31

> Again, you don't know that. Where has Valve said that as
> a result of the theft they need 5 months to rewrite the
> game? Vivendi has said things to that effect, but not
> Valve. Besides, the game is clearly finished or very
> close.

Well, if Vivendi says it's delayed, and they're the publisher, it's delayed. Valve can't very well ship without their publisher, especially considering the sorry state of Steam at the moment.

I suppose you could assume that Vivendi made up this five month delay, and Valve wants to ship now, but what publisher in their right mind would delay shipment on one of the most eagerly anticipated games in years? Especially when the delay takes the game past the Christmas season!? Now THAT is throwing money away, and Vivendi certainly can't afford to do that these days.

And yes, I am not a game developer. I write business software for a living, but that doesn't have any bearing here. It's not like you need to write games for a living to see that they are trying to blame their delay on these hackers.

47 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older