Descending
Limit Results:

219 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 8.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ] Older

No subject
Nov 18, 2003, 08:35
No subject Nov 18, 2003, 08:35
Nov 18, 2003, 08:35

How do you figure you can't win. I was more or less satisfied with the ending. It was about as good as could be hoped for.

You kill Vlad, who is really the guy behind the murder of your family (from what I can figure), Woden dies and he was more or less a scumbag. Yeah, Mona dies but oh well. You don't get taken in for like 20 years in prison (again, this is just my interpretation) so its all more or less good. Plus, the very last scene says "I dreamed of my wife today, she told me it was ok"

____

As for the lenght, I said it before and I'll say it again. I just don't see how you guys can finish this in a single day. Are we playing the same game? It took me about a week on easy (or Detective or whatever the starting difficulty is) to beat the game. This includes tons of reloads and stuff, and considering I played about 2 hours a day. So, Unless you are the type to sit down and play a game for 10 hours striaght, I don't see how you could have finished it so quickly. I must disagree with the majority here and say that I got a nice amount of play time out of Max Payne 2, so I'm satisfied.

No subject
Nov 17, 2003, 01:06
No subject Nov 17, 2003, 01:06
Nov 17, 2003, 01:06

Just to make an observation, though I don't want to get into a big arguement or whatever.

Yes, you can turn down the opacity. But if you turn it down to the point where its not obtrusive anymore, yoou'll hardly be able to see the actual information displayed.

What I think would be a more useful feature is if you were able to "push" the interface to the very edge of the screen, so that you have a circular shape on the top and bottom, but have a straight edge of the sides. Well, if it really turns out to be that bad, a mod will probably come along to fix the interface to a traditional FPS one.

No subject
Nov 16, 2003, 17:28
No subject Nov 16, 2003, 17:28
Nov 16, 2003, 17:28

Yeah, I can see what you mean about the vision focus. However, while our eyes do function like that (or similar to that) in real life, I don't think its quite right a game. Moving your eye and moving your character are different things.

Since you can freely move your eyes across the screen and focus in on any point, don't try to think of mouse movement as moving your eyes (if you use the player-person parrallel) but rather as moving your whole head.

In any game, and especially in Deus Ex 2, I don't think the action is ever so intense that you can't glance at your health for 1/3 of a second. Always having it visible, but never "focused" doesn't solve the problem either. Since its never directly in your path of focus, you do have to divert your attention to see the hud, just to a lesser degree. The health/ammo/whatever guages aren't big enough and prominent enough for you to be able to be aware of the, without focusing your eye on them.

I kind of think of this as permenent sniper mode. You field of view is more limited (from the centre of the screen to the inside edge of the HUD) and its more or less circular. I know that most people, when they're sniping, use normal (unzoomed, unscoped) view to aquire targets, and then zoom in for the kill, at which point you zoom out again to aquire the next target.

Eye movements are quick enough for you to be able to focus on several different objects (within your current FOV) within a single second. So really, the fact that your attention gets drawn away from the action in ther centre of the screen is irrelevant. You're not going to get killed in like 1/3 of a second.

__

As for my comment comparing the Halflife HUD to Deus Ex 2, well that still stands. Yes, Deus Ex 2 (and 1) does need to display more information, but the CRUCIAL information is limited. All you really need to have visible on your hud is: health, ammo, bio energy, current weapon. The rest can be on sub screen or a variant thereof. If you are averse to multiple screens, just imagine a small "box" sliding out of the side of the screen to show your inventory or whatever. It does not cover the whole screen, just a portion, so that you're never completely vunerable. Think System Shock 2, only more refined. You could even have a single button bring up all the information that isn't conveyed on the main hud with the press of a single button. This way, the time it takes to switch back to normal view is about 1/2 second, or however long it takes you to press a button (maybe TAB or something.) This way, all the really important stuff, the info that keeps you alive, is displayed on the main hud. And all the rest is available at the press of a button. If you like, it could just be toggle-able so that you can turn on ALL the panels and still be able to play the game.

Nice discussion going on here

No subject
Nov 16, 2003, 13:54
No subject Nov 16, 2003, 13:54
Nov 16, 2003, 13:54

The interface is awful. By putting it in a ring around the center of the screen, you're creating a visual barrier that makes it very hard for people to shift their attention to the edges of the screen, essentially cutting down the functional viewing area to a port hole

Bingo. Thats exactly what I was thinking, I just couldn't put my finger on it. By creating the ring interface, anything outside the ring is essentially ignored. I might not have been so bad is the ring was way out at the edge of the screen.

Oh and, thats first interface screenshot looks great. I knew there was aprevious interface, but I just couldn't find any images of it. Its look much better than the current one, they should have just stuck with it.

But again, we'll see. It could turn out to be really revolutionary and stuff, and all out complaiing was unfounded...we'll see..

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 13:55.

No subject
Nov 16, 2003, 10:32
No subject Nov 16, 2003, 10:32
Nov 16, 2003, 10:32

After some more thorough reading, heres my thoughsts:

Interface:
I don't like it. There, I said it. I think that it wil be obtrusive no matter what, due to its size and positioning (pretty close to the centre of the screen. Yes, you can turn down the opacity, but then if you turn it down too much you lose usability. Normal FPS interfaces, however unrealistic can be done well, and have been done well. Look at Haflife. 3 small number down in the bottom, nothing else. We'll see once the demo is out, I may be wrong.

Skills
Again, dislike. In DX, I barely ever used any augs other than things like Light and stuff. I mostly just relied on pumping my skills to the max. This was because the augs were kinda wimmpy, or just to situation specific. If I specialized in the Rifles skill, that woul be useful throught the game. But very few augs provided such flexibility. I just tried to pick the ones that seemed least useless. However, if they bring in the functionality of skills into to the aug system, then that could work.

Ammo
Yeah, I just read about this a few days ago. It seems wierd to me. I mean it could be explained via some sort of futuristic nanobot ammo, but realy why would you want to? f it aint broke don't fix it. As Spector said in some interview, this (seperate ammo supplies)adds a layer of realism, and besides is the standard that players expect.

Length
I dn't know why everyone is complaining about Ma Payne 2's lenght. It took me about a week to beat that game, playing about 2 hours a day. I don't know how skilled you people are, but I was constantly reloading, which prolonged the game. Go into a section - get hit with too many bullet - reload. If Deus Ex 2 is as long as Max Payne 2 and has replayability, thats great. If its as long as Deus Ex 1 and has replayability, great. I hear many people complaning that most FPS games are too short, and I just don't get how they can think that. Either, they play for like 5 hours a day, or they're all expert shots. Oh and, regarding loading time, I guess DX1 was ok. Jedi Academy (demo) seemed reasonable to me. Max Payne 2 was indeed very long, but oh well. I don't mind waiting a bit, as long as it nots absurd (Aquanox 2 demo - 10 minutes)

No subject
Nov 16, 2003, 00:17
No subject Nov 16, 2003, 00:17
Nov 16, 2003, 00:17

Well, yeah the textures are a part of it. But also, I just don't like the design of the weapons. You can put 5k polies into a beautiful, sleek, powerful gun, or you can put the same amount of polies into it and have it look like the DX2 shotgun.

I hope the textures get improved, but its probably too late for a re-design of the weapons. I mean, all Ion Storm had to do was pay someone like Sixshooter or Lonewolf (both are CS model guys) a few grand to do their weapons, and they would look a lot better than the current ones. And whats up with the glowing orange light on the sniper?

__

As for the renderer; yes I know that they re-wrote te engine, and I did mention it. But its stil supposed to be as good, if not better. ITs sti supposed to look like the current generation, and not like Quake 3 or UT.

__

I liked Deux Ex (well except for the fact that all this touted "openness" was reduced to making a choice in the last few minutes of the game) and I'll be checking out Deus Ex 2, so we'll see what they have improved and what they have haven't..

No subject
Nov 15, 2003, 20:57
No subject Nov 15, 2003, 20:57
Nov 15, 2003, 20:57

Alright, I'm not about to read all those comments, I might later on but right now its look very big and threatening.

But what I will say is this:

Who, precisely, Is responsible for the steaming piles of crap that are the weapons models. Honestly, in both design and implementation, these weapons simply look terrible. I keep waiting for them to say that its all a joke and bust out the real models. I just recently watched the UT2004 video (the vehicles) and [ipresumably this is more or less the same engine running. However, when compared to Deus Ex 2 models, UT2K4's (and UT2K3's) weapons look like a whole generation ahead.

I know that DX2 is not really a shooter shooter, so it doesn't (allegedly) have to look as good, and I also know that the DX2 team re-did the game renderer, but it still doesn't make up for crappy art direction nor the fact that the weapons models look a generation apart (like UT vs UT2003)

UT2K3 is out. Halflife 2 and Doom 3 are imminent. The standard has been set, and I don't see why an AAA team like Ion Storm can't get it right. I mean, I can find better (much better) weapons models in CSNation's user submitions sections. Some mods for Halflife 1 have better modeled, better textured, better concieved models.

Whats the freaking problem

No subject
Oct 31, 2003, 19:16
No subject Oct 31, 2003, 19:16
Oct 31, 2003, 19:16

yeah, the website is pretty crappy. they could have done much nicer if they hadn't gone for the "explore the gameworld" kinda deal. I mean a plain links+text+cool vampire borders+flash website would have been much nicer..

and as for the graphics being iffy, well I kind of agree. Yes, I've seen all the Halflife 2 movies and screenshots, and they themselves look good, its just that I think that Troika is not really putting the engine to good use, especially in the terrains departments. The character models look passable (well passable by next gen standards, they still look good) though I don't relly like the "look and feel" of them. The envirnoments, from what I can tell, are done pretty nicely, though nothing too great.. Maybe its just the trxtures that I have a beef with, they don't seem to moody or anything. Atleast HL2 has the "super realistic" look going, but these just seem like a poor atempt at that.

Ofcourse, I can't judge the game considering I've never even seena movie of it running, much less played it. I'm not a huge fan (not that I hate it, I just don't know it) of the Vampire universe by WhiteWolf. Might check this out, it seems pretty interesting, such as creeating your own vampire. A 3rd person perspective would have seemed a natural fit, but apparently Troika has some others plans in mind

No subject
Oct 27, 2003, 22:00
No subject Oct 27, 2003, 22:00
Oct 27, 2003, 22:00

Guess I should have looked in the readme hehe

To uninvert the mouselook:

When launching the game, in the "Advanced" field type "/INVERTMOUSETP". This will invert the mouselook (well, uninvert) for the 3rd person, while keeping 1st person normal.

For lots of more options and stuff, check the readme. This one is actually worth reading.

Re: woo!
Oct 27, 2003, 21:53
Re: woo! Oct 27, 2003, 21:53
Oct 27, 2003, 21:53

This is the first demo so far that has worked for me, so thats a huge plus:):)

Anyways, it looks nice and wormey to me. The only thing that is bothering me is the controls - a bit. If the mouselook could be uninverted, the control scheme would be alot better. I love Team 17 and the unique humour of the Worms series, but it has always been very easy to control precisely and without alot of effort. It has been very intuitive in 2D, and I believe it can be the same in 3D, it just just requires a bit more polish on the developer's side.

However, I really love the graphics, the expressions on the worm's faces, the voice-acting, just generally the whole look and feel. As always, its a very unique and fun experience just being in the gameworld.

If anyone figures out how to uninvert mouselook, please post here.

No subject
Oct 26, 2003, 20:49
No subject Oct 26, 2003, 20:49
Oct 26, 2003, 20:49

"their upcoming action-role-playing game set in a techno-fantasy future featuring dark and gothic atmospheres"

wow, look at all the cool buzzwords. the game must be good. really good.

No subject
Oct 23, 2003, 00:50
No subject Oct 23, 2003, 00:50
Oct 23, 2003, 00:50

They manage to stay afloat cause Europeans, especially Germans, love this stuff. They love little 2D games with bleak textures and people running around... or so I hear.

Well, its not exactly Rome: Total War, but it still has some good spots, like the 4 peoples and such. I really can't figure out the historical/fantasy mix though.

Remember kids, not every developer can be id or Valve. And besides, people over there has very different tastes game-wise.

No subject
Oct 21, 2003, 08:22
No subject Oct 21, 2003, 08:22
Oct 21, 2003, 08:22

yeah! liberate those Iraqis! BOOM! yeah!

pathetic. The game premise is awful, considering that not a single Iraqi aircraft every engaged US forces. The game is awful (judging by your comments and the screenshots).

I guess 2 wrongs DO make a right, atleast according to Graphic Simluations..

No subject
Oct 2, 2003, 19:39
No subject Oct 2, 2003, 19:39
Oct 2, 2003, 19:39

Yes, and you can read my reply o #71 in my previous post. I said that having the source-code available for FREEWARE projects wouldn't hurt Valve at all. Aside from that, I highly doubt that Valve will loose any money from licensing, just read my posts ok?

I don't want to get into a flamewar, so I'll just leave it at that.

Wiggamoe: Yeah, I noticed that too. BUt I think that the admins removed it, either out of ethical reason or out of fear of legal action against them. I'm a supporter of BT, and especially suprnova, and in this case I think they did the right thing by removing it.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 19:41.

No subject
Oct 2, 2003, 19:29
No subject Oct 2, 2003, 19:29
Oct 2, 2003, 19:29

Nexus, the reason I have that attitude is becuase having the source code available for freeware projects is very beneficial to the gaming community, but it doesn't hurt Valve at all.

So, there would be plenty of winners but no losers if something like I have described were to happen. Look what the Tenebrae people did with the Quake 1 engine. Just imagine the possibilities with Source.

Though I doubt that this is what the hacker(s) had in mind, I still think that it may be a fortunate side-effect. I realise that stealing X years of someone's work is wrong, but if ends up causing more good than harm, I'm all for it. Again, the reason I take this position is becuase making the source-code public domain would not hurt Valve one bit.

z0dd: Its possible. But somehow, I don't think that having slightly compromised anti-cheating technology will deter anyone from purchasing the engine. Thats like not buying a BMW because it has a broken windshield wiper that can easily be fixed (by the licensees programmers.)

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 19:33.

No subject
Oct 2, 2003, 18:55
No subject Oct 2, 2003, 18:55
Oct 2, 2003, 18:55

C'mon people, cut this shit out.

Its like celebirty gossip without the celebirties. "Ohh, I wonder what so-and-so will say!", "Oh man, Gabe has such bad security kekekeke"

No subject
Oct 2, 2003, 18:42
No subject Oct 2, 2003, 18:42
Oct 2, 2003, 18:42

Alright people, calm down.

1. I don't see why this should delay the release at all. Its not like someone destroyed the source-code. They just copied it. How does that affect Valvle? The delay was most likely (I'm guessing like 99% likelyhood) not caused by this, and neither will any future delay (if there are any), so just relax.

2. This didn't "destroy 5 years of work by a team of 30 poeple" or whatever. As I've said, the original source-code is still intact. So, it really wasn't that damaging to Valve.

3. This likely won't affect any potential licensing of Source for future games. No one will release a commercial game with pirated source-code. What it could do, and I hope it does, is allow people to use the Source engine for their own freeware projects. I have long been of the opinion that free-ware and independent games are at a disadvantage simply because they have to use crappier graphics engines, so they can't compete with the AAA games. If this changes that situation, all the better.

4. I don't think this really shows that Valve is incompetent or anything. If the CIA can be hacked, so can Valve. If someone is out to hack you, and they've got enough computer skills, there's not much you can do to stop them.

____

Aside from the sheer scope and importance of this, I don't think it will have any real-life consequences, or any negative ones anyway.

No subject
Sep 21, 2003, 11:00
No subject Sep 21, 2003, 11:00
Sep 21, 2003, 11:00

Damnit, its so freaking hard. I tried it about 10 times, and I have yet to pass the level. The thing is, there are a few units who are basically invunerable to your attacks, like the small pike+shield orcs, aswell as the bigger double-mace orcs. I just keep hitting them but nothing happens. And health is pretty rare to find. You get gabg-banged so easily, and then you loose health very fast.

I heard that the orc archers usually drop lots of health, but since they come so infrequently its not much help.

There must be a trick or something to beating the game, cause theres just no way it can be this hard. Oh and, by the way, yes I have used my magic abilities, though one is pretty weak, and the other is only good when you're surrounded, though ironically thats when its the hardest to use it.

What does the action button (e) do? As far as I can figure, it doesnt do anything.

Re: Bad download from worthPlaying
Sep 17, 2003, 21:57
Re: Bad download from worthPlaying Sep 17, 2003, 21:57
Sep 17, 2003, 21:57

Tried to open up the cmd file with the "Run" command in the Start menu:

"This file does not have a program associated with it....."

No subject
Sep 17, 2003, 21:39
No subject Sep 17, 2003, 21:39
Sep 17, 2003, 21:39

Hmm, I'm getting an error when I start up Worms3D.exe (located in the "bin folder"). The game window comes up, but its all black, and in front of it is an error message. When you click OK on the message, another one comes up. When you click OK on that one, the first one comes back up. It keep alternating between the two until you ctrl+alt+delete out.

Anyone else getting this? Fixes?

219 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 8.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ] Older