Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for JTW

Real Name JTW   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname JTW
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 6, 2003, 17:01
Total Comments 497 (Amateur)
User ID 16074

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > DARQ Developer on Turning Down Epic Games Store Exclusivity
24. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 19, 2019, 01:41 JTW

NKD wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 01:16:
JTW wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 22:26:

Is it really competition if you only have one place to buy any given game? When I think of competition I think of competitive pricing for the consumer, something I haven't seen on EGS.

It is competition when EGS puts a big enough dent in the market that Steam and Epic start competing actively with each other for customers, yes. And right now, Steam is so huge that the only way to break into that market is by taking more 'extreme' steps. Free games, big sales (once they figure out how to do that right), and exclusives. Once they have a customer base that can compete with Steams, that's when we (consumers) can start seeing the benefits, and Epic can dial back the tactics. If they don't take those steps right now, though, they don't have a chance in hell of their client ever being competitive.

Or not. They could end up being hostile and consumer-unfriendly after they've established themselves. We won't know for years.

What scares me, though, is what happens if Steam turns hostile without any competitors.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DARQ Developer on Turning Down Epic Games Store Exclusivity
16. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 18, 2019, 22:26 JTW

Cutter wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 19:08:
Nice to see a dev who gets it.

They all 'get it'. We all 'get it'. Some of us think that the long-term benefits of a competitive marketplace outweigh the issues of exclusivity deals.

In five years we may even know who was right. Until then? Just guesses.

News Comments > Dota Underlords Splitting Ranked and Casual Play
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 28, 2019, 14:11 JTW

Spitting?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 21, 2019, 18:38 JTW

It's Fox. They cancel genre shows every time someone blinks.

At least those shows have an alternative these days.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 14, 2019, 17:19 JTW

Pigeon wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 16:16:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 15:33:
Im glad the HPV vaccine is being recommended for boys as well.

As a survivor of HPV-related tongue cancer, I agree.

(It must have been something I ate.)

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month
8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 13, 2019, 00:17 JTW

The link lists the features the game has, but doesn't really say what distinguishes it from the original.  

News Comments > G2A Proposes Key-Blocking Tool
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 12, 2019, 11:45 JTW

And how does this help when someone buys 100 legitimate keys with stolen credit cards, sells them on G2A? The credit card owners then reverse the charges (costing the developers money), and the 100 people then blame the developer when their effectively stolen keys suddenly stop working. The dev loses money, pisses off customers, loses reputation, while both G2A and the thief make a profit. G2A is well aware of this, and isn't going to do a single thing to stop it. Honest business practices won't make them nearly as much money as de-facto money laundering.

This is like a drug ring agreeing not to sell Tylenol. Uh, thanks, but that's not the issue.

Criminal enterprises are criminal enterprises.

News Comments > Amazon Making The Lord of the Rings MMOG
12. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 10, 2019, 13:40 JTW

This reminds me a little of when Paizo announced the Pathfinder MMO. They had 'Top Men', no published video games, big claims, and no hints about the design or style they were going after until later.

They ended up designing a game based on one guy's vision who was still obsessed with the 1990s style of MMOs despite everyone tell them that said model was not viable anymore. It was about as successful as you'd expect.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Quarantine Breaks Out Next Year
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 11, 2019, 12:08 JTW

When every other cooperative game out there is designed for four players, they're releasing a three player game. That means that every group of friends who game together will either have to kick a friend out, or play a different game.

Good thinking.

News Comments > Free Borderlands 2 DLC Released
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 9, 2019, 22:50 JTW

This thing is FULL of Tales from the Borderlands spoilers.  

News Comments > Baldur's Gate III Announced
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 6, 2019, 19:39 JTW

Divinity was excellent.
Baldur's Gate was excellent.

They aren't the same game, though. Please, Larian. Make Baldur's Gate 3 a Baldur's Gate game, not a puzzly fantasy satire.

News Comments > WHO Recognizes "Gaming Disorder"
15. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 27, 2019, 01:37 JTW

They'd meet a lot less controversy if they'd just lump these things into a single disorder with multiple veneers. Something like 'skinner box disorder', or 'operant conditioning disorder.' So many things can create an artificial reward loop that pumps chemicals into your brain that actually can be addictive that it doesn't make sense to define them one by one. The physiological addiction behind them all is the same.  

News Comments > BFG a Premium Item in RAGE 2
10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 9, 2019, 01:06 JTW

Eh, the BFG is usually good for a laugh, but not much fun after that, and they usually give it very, very limited ammo. It isn't so much a gameplay element as it is a brief gimmick.

IE - no great loss.

Not that I was all that excited anyway. Rage 1 was a slog.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Tabletop Module Pulled Amid Plagiarism Accusations
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 8, 2019, 21:33 JTW

Bethesda doesn't write pen-and-paper products. They can't be expected to know the contents of every digitally published product from the past decade. Nor is it likely that they have experienced adventure authors in-house.

Most likely they hired an author to write it, and that author tried to get away with nogoodery.

News Comments > Anthem Creators Moving to Dragon Age 4
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 2, 2019, 10:48 JTW

Dragon age
Anthem team
Dragon age
Anthem team
Dragon age
Anthem team

So... wait for reviews, I suppose.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
14. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 27, 2019, 11:58 JTW

Bull. Unless you have a five-star name, the gaming industry is one of the hardest to get into. If you just quit because of abusive industry practices, you are quitting your career, and if your skillset is specialized enough, you may not be able to transfer to a different industry.

In which case, the right answer is to either suffer, or work for change.

News Comments > Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing
22. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 7, 2019, 01:13 JTW

Years ago, Derek Smart personally sent me copies of two of his games, free of charge, after I got to know him a bit online at a forum I helped run.

I've never had a game that was a worse value.

News Comments > Casey Hudson on Fixing BioWare's Culture
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 4, 2019, 19:52 JTW

Stopping harmful stuff isn't as complicated as they're making it. It doesn't require a two-year plan, steps, meetings, letters, updated structures, a 'matrix', defined role clarity, or clear expectations. It involves two steps:

1. Identify what's harmful
2. Don't do those things

News Comments > Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September
29. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 3, 2019, 13:47 JTW

*shrug*

I'm getting it anyway. For my whole family.

And yes, exclusives are anti-consumer. So what? Not every single decision every company makes needs to be pro-consumer. As long as the long-term trend is positive, companies that want to stay in business sometimes have to make decisions that are pro-profit. That's reality, not the hippy marketplace some people seem to want.

News Comments > Anno 1800 Becoming an Epic Games Store Exclusive
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 29, 2019, 23:11 JTW

*shrug*

There are bigger things to care about.

497 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo