Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for JTW

Real Name JTW   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname JTW
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On February 6, 2003
Supporter -
Total Comments 537 (Apprentice)
User ID 16074

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Baldur’s Gate 3 Press Release

9. Re: Baldur’s Gate 3 Press Release Mar 1, 2020, 11:31 JTW

Hopefully, but there is one huge difference between Divinity and this: They're answerable to Hasbro, which owns Wizards of the Coast, which owns D&D. More than once the holder of a license has vetoed modding. WotC is very community-friendly, but they also have a reputation for being stuck in the stone age where tech is concerned.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus

29. Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 1, 2020, 02:06 JTW

Xero wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 23:59:
I was at PAX East yesterday. It was funny to see some people with masks not evening utilizing them. They would have them pulled down around their neck as if they needed a break from it.

If you have a mask, I think it needs to be on 24/7 to be effective. At least while you are in the convention. If you think you can take breaks with it, you might as well join those without a mask. I dunno, I just thought it looked stupid. Sure, maybe there is that chance that you deflected the virus in that 1 moment you had the mask on vs not having it on, but cmon, by having it off at any moment gives you about the same chance as someone without it.

Well, I'm hoping all is well in the next 2 weeks... I had no masks as they were all sold out. Even 2 hours away from Boston...

The masks are like ze goggles. They do nothing.

Masks are for people who are infected to prevent spraying the crowd when you cough, speak, or sneeze. They're not for healthy people. The masks you see people wearing are designed for dust, which is vastly larger than viruses. Viruses go right through them. Furthermore, the masks that do make a difference (N95s) have to be professionally fitted to be of benefit, and require a mostly clean shave.

People see people on the news wearing masks so they assume that it is the right thing to do. It is not. Avoiding contact with people and washing your hands is far, far more effective than the stupid masks.

20. Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Feb 29, 2020, 19:39 JTW

Beamer wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 18:54:

Individuals aged 10 years to 39 years had a case fatality rate of only 0.2%. The case fatality rate increased for individuals with confirmed cases in their 40s (0.4%), 50s (1.3%), 60s (3.6%), 70s (8%), and 80s (14.8%).

The flu is 0.1% across the board. Each of these rates is about 20x what the regular flu is. Which means that these are the same numbers we're telling you are a concern. 1 out of every 100 people over 50 that get this will die. That's why conferences are shutting down. How many people at GDC do you think are over 50? A few thousand.

But the biggest issue, unsurprisingly, is that this will kill 15% of people over 80. You guys seem to think that's cool. Others of us feel like we need to be prepared to find ways to bring that number down.

They're trying to foster a feel-good delusion. Quit trying to ruin their day with pesky facts!

14. Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Feb 29, 2020, 16:57 JTW

We'll be fine! We're stockpiling elements of medical!  

3. Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Feb 29, 2020, 13:06 JTW

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 12:42:
I don't see the situation being any better in summer, so postponing the event seems rather silly. Better to instead make it a digital show as a one-off.

There's a possibility that it could turn out to be seasonal, and there is nothing that prevents them from canceling it later if it's still an issue. This is a smart move. The concerns right now are mostly precautionary. It may turn out the be a huge deal, it may not (although 'probably will' seems likely.) This way they are covered either way with the least risk.

News Comments > Path of Exile 2 Beta Likely Delaying Due to Coronavirus

16. Re: Path of Exile 2 Beta Likely Delaying Due to Coronavirus Feb 29, 2020, 10:47 JTW

Point 1: Only people with severe symptoms are likely to be diagnosed. People who just have the sniffles (or no symptoms) don't go to the doctor to begin with. The number of infected is likely several times the reported number. That also means that the death rate shows higher than it should.

Point 2: China is very likely concealing the real scope of this withing their country, and that is where a lot of the quoted data comes from. That suggests that the death rate could be higher.

Point 3: As stated, this is most dangerous for those with medical issues or above 50. Since the death rate is an overall average including young, healthy people, it could be significantly higher for at-risk groups.

(Takeaway from 1+2+3: The rate is still being determined, as there are lots of factors to consider right now, and while it is likely lower for the young, that means likely higher for others.)

Point 4: Preventing low-risk people from dying isn't why you quarantine something like this. Most people under 50 who have healthy immune systems aren't at risk of dying, no. So why bother? The problem is that they spread the disease to people who are at risk. They take it with them into hospitals, nursing homes, churches, home to parents and grandparents, and so forth, and that's when people start dying. You keep it away from the old people by keeping it away from the people that infect them.

Point 5: These procedures aren't intended to prevent a pandemic. They're intended to delay it. Delay it into a season that's less conducive to its spread, delay it while preparations and plans are made, delay it while it is studied and treatments are figured out.

Point 6: There is no point 7.

Point 7: See point 6.

News Comments > etc.

4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2020, 00:52 JTW

I used to do that. I imported everything into Steam, then categorized and organized them all so I could find exactly what I wanted. Until about the third time Steam hiccupped and deleted the whole shebang. My entire game library across the various platforms if probably ~1000+ titles, so it was a crapload of lost work every time.

At which point I installed Playnite (which is free) and ran everything through there. It isn't a launcher, it's just a library consolidator, letting you see everything on all of the services in one place. A also set up an automated backup of the Playnite files every day, just in case.

News Comments > Rod Fergusson to Lead Blizzard's Diablo Team

8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 5, 2020, 22:56 JTW

Also, 'oversea?'  

News Comments > Warcraft III: Reforged Released

14. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 29, 2020, 01:37 JTW

That was Caveman, and yes it was in WC 2.

Zug zug. The next best thing to snu-snu.

News Comments > On the 2019 PC Content Spending Downturn

2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 24, 2020, 21:10 JTW

The PC market needed a bit of disruption.  

News Comments > etc.

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 23, 2020, 14:15 JTW

ldonyo wrote on Jan 23, 2020, 11:09:
Since it's a book series-to-TV adaptation, no.

The article addressed that point. The show wasn't made because of how the books sold, it was made because the fan base from the game is huge.

They got the book license, not the game license, and yet everything they did stylistically, was inspired by the game. Cavil is a great match for the game Geralt, but looks very little like the book Geralt (who's actually pretty thin and lanky), the costumes, the sets, all of that are more reminiscent of the games than the book.

News Comments > Kingpin: Reloaded Announced

5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 17, 2020, 23:19 JTW

This and Requiem: Avenging Angel both came out around the same time, I didn't really have a lot of love for either of them.  

News Comments > NVIDIA and ASUS Introduce 360Hz Monitor

30. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 6, 2020, 20:06 JTW

With that, we're pretty much at the limit of what's humanly perceptible. Higher resolutions and refresh rates past this point are completely pointless, as they're improvements that exist beyond human perception. "Hey, our new monitor displays color clear into the infrared and ultraviolet! You can't actually see it, but it's there!"  

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Free with Games Workshop Purchase

1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 27, 2019, 01:33 JTW

One free out of date game in exchange for spending money on our products that are 50% higher than every other competitors, sold mostly at stores that we bully the hell out of or online at our own store (you can buy them on other people's sites, but you aren't allowed to use a cart to buy them, or see pictures of them, or get them with a meaningful discount anywhere but our site.)

And then, when you buy them, we'll wait two years and release a new edition of the game that is specifically written to make all of the stuff you went through so much hassle (and money) to get obsolete so that you have to buy it all again to play in any recognized game.

And if you don't like it, tough shit. We want the 'elite' (IE - rich) players. Those of you who care about the prices and practices aren't our target audience anyway, dirty stinking peasants.

News Comments > Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Announced

3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 13, 2019, 00:55 JTW

Bad metal, absurd faces, and a GoPro stuck to a scimitar.

Yeah, that's not giving me a lot of confidence.

News Comments > Op Ed

1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 29, 2019, 16:03 JTW

The other difference was that people who wanted to play HL2 only needed to download an app. Nobody had to buy an extra $1,000 worth of specialized hardware on top of it, plus a PC capable of supporting that hardware.

Steam for HL2: Free
Index + hardware: $1,000-$2,000+

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx in March

19. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 21, 2019, 15:31 JTW

It looks great, but it is pretty disheartening that after 12 years of waiting to see what happens next, they're telling their story in a format that excludes a huge swathe of their most loyal customers. I don't have VR, and can't afford VR.  

News Comments > etc.

3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 8, 2019, 13:08 JTW

I'm not worried about Diablo.

Practically every other Blizzard game has microtransactions. WoW has them, Overwatch, even Starcraft. They haven't tried any EA/Bethesda stuff in the years they've been doing them (at least a decade on WoW.)

Psst - see Bethesda? It's called a 'reputation!'

News Comments > I.G.I. Origins Officially Announced

5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 6, 2019, 23:14 JTW

Hopefully that doesn't mean more two-hour, extremely tough missions with no saves.  

News Comments > EA Games Returning to Steam

4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 29, 2019, 11:08 JTW

I wonder if they'll ever merge libraries. I also wonder how Access is going to work. Will the Access library end up split between two different platforms?  

537 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >