Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 702 (Apprentice)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 20, 2015, 11:15 WaltC

Yes, there's especially no way to know if the NSA's software is on your hard drive--because Kaspersky never mentioned the NSA or the USA by name--ever. Some lame-brain simply assumed it--and when you assume, you make an ass out of you and me...;) Gods, but people can be stupid...! Kaspersky could have been speaking of any country on earth--including the Russian Federation.

There's also no way to know if aliens have put spyware on your hard drive either, is there?..,..;) Morons...:D

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed
13. Re: DX12: 900% FPS Increase Over DX11 Claimed Feb 18, 2015, 20:02 WaltC

Claims are very believable when you consider that DX11 & earlier are based on code that was only fair at tapping the power of multicore gpus and didn't support xFire/SLI at all (which only came by way of custom driver support from AMD & nVidia)--and those earlier APIs were mostly single-core when it came to cpu support, failing to leverage multicore cpu power. DX12 should provide several times the performance of DX11 & earlier as it will support gpus much better, support multigpus, and support multicore cpus for the first time. 100% + performance improvements are surely possible.

The caveat is that it won't apply to games written for DX11 and earlier, though; it will only apply to game engines written to expressly support these new D3d12 features. D3d is finally catching up to the hardware!

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 12, 2015, 09:48 WaltC

I wish Apple would do a Steve Jobs parody game...better yet, a "Kim Jong-Un vs. Steve Jobs" action game...!  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 12, 2015, 09:45 WaltC

Everything that happens in the FCC is pure politics. They are all trying to get their names up in lights. As soon as the vote takes place, should they vote to slap 322 pages of rules on the ISPs, the lawsuits will fly--and the FCC will end up back in court, where they lost the last time they tried this.  

News Comments > Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics
10. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 10:29 WaltC

InBlack wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 10:03:
AAhhhh there it is. I was wondering when this was coming, since SteamOS (or any other Linux variant) can't possibly compete with Windows without a platform independent graphics API to rival DirectX. Still I wonder what it will take to convince developers to program games with an alternative API (and hardware manfacturers to support it)? We all know what happened with OpenGL, most developers left it in the dust. It was simpy not cost effective to develop for two APIs. Will definitely be following this with interest.

I hope you understand that Valve isn't speaking of anything "new" here..;) Valve is talking about OpenGL:

https://www.khronos.org/opengl/

News Comments > Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics
8. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 10:24 WaltC

If D3d12 lives up to its advance billing, it will be the most important and significant 3d API...well, ever... The API will finally support more than one GPU, more than one GPU core and more than one cpu core simultaneously...! As for Valve, wake me when the percentage of Steam Windows revenue drops below 90% of total Steam revenue & profit...

Valve isn't working hard enough on HL3 if the company has time to waste on pushing an "alternative" OS/3d API.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 3, 2015, 17:39 WaltC

Yes, it figures that the Stuffington Post would come out with articles written to try and convince weak minded/willed people to be afraid of the companies that bring them the goods & services they like the most. It's all done for the basest of political motives, too. Yea, the "big bad ISPs" are so *mean* to people--just horrible. Meanwhile politicians keep masquerading as sheep when underneath it all they're just a pack of ravening wolves, ever thirsting for more personal recognition and fame. Ugh. There's no lie about the Internet the government (and the deluded people who think big, overbearing government is their "friend") won't stoop to voicing & repeating if they think it will help them wrest control of the Internet away from the people and give it to the government elitists who think that freedom of speech has to be the first thing to go.

As long as people think and speak like they want them to think and speak, entirely too many professional politicians have no problem with "freedom"--but start thinking and then speaking a different point of view and watch how quickly they want to pass laws and regulations that take away those freedoms. There's no way the national Democrats (and many national Republican politicians) in Washington are actually as dumb as most of them seem to be--theirs is an agenda of subtlety and deception that serves only one purpose above all others: getting them re-elected. No lie or distortion is beneath them, apparently.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 2, 2015, 08:56 WaltC

People are certainly screwed up when it comes to the NFL. The NFL has no influence on anything that isn't professional football, but, man, to read some of these insane articles--you'd never know it. If the "NFL" makes an incorrect/over-the-top public statement which superficially addresses legal issues--you can thank the NFL's lawyers for that. Talk about "evil"...;) Lawyers, now there's an evil most educated people can agree on...;)

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 30, 2015, 19:14 WaltC

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 18:12:
Break them up, monopolies are not allowed in this country!

If you compete with other companies then you are by definition not a monopoly...;) Also, remember that T-mobile wanted to merge with Sprint but that *the government* said "No." Sprint and T-Mobile explained to the government that Verizon and AT&T were much bigger, much richer companies, and that T-Mobile & Sprint wanted to merge in order to be able to *compete* with Verizon & AT&T--and stay in business themselves, of course. The government said No.

So when in a few years time T-Mobile is no more--& possibly even Sprint, and consumers wind up with less choice than they'd have had had the government approved the merger, you'll know who to thank.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
19. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 30, 2015, 10:24 WaltC

Slick wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 21:50:

gee, whoda guessed that an industry which owns a monopoly on a vital service can't regulate itself?

Personally, I'd like them to up the definition of "broadband" to 50Mb/s u&d...;) No question but that 3Mb/4Mb down is woefully insufficient. That said...

Industries cannot be "monopolies"...;) That's like saying "The auto-industry monopoly..." The fact that there's an entire industry to service a particular market proves there is no monopoly there.

And of course...if there was such a thing as a an "industry-wide monopoly" then nobody would be able to get anything *but* 4Mbs down. (I'm enjoying my 50Mb/u&d through Cogent very much, and it costs me less than I used to pay Comcast for 6Mb/512k, amazingly enough. If there was a "4Mb monopoly" I couldn't do that.)

The Internet, much to the consternation of the Democrats, is not a single entity--it's a lot of little autonomous subnets cobbled together into one gigantic "Internet." The Internet will always reject and defeat attempts to impose monolithic controls because of the very nature of the Internet itself--there's nothing monolithic about it.

So...even if you have my connection @ 50Mb/s bi-directional, that does not mean that the *servers* you connect to, the places you download from, or upload to, are going to allow you to download/upload @ 50Mb/s...not at all. That's one of the myths of "net neutrality", that it's the ISP who determines connection/download bandwidth--that's only true of the maximum bandwidth possible. The actual download speed people get in practice is determined by the *server* one connects to--servers not owned by the ISP. For instance, take the Nexus gaming mod site, all non-premium members are capped by the Nexus servers at a maximum of ~950kb/s down--so my 50Mb/s (which should deliver in the neighborhood of 6 MegaBytes/s down) does me no good there, and it has squat to do with the ISP.

The problem with the whole Democrat-party spiel is that 1) because the Internet is not a monopoly and is not monolithic & centralized, it cannot be centrally regulated; 2) the problems that most people encounter in connecting to various servers are problems (slow connections to no connection at all) relative to the independently owned servers they are trying to connect to--and have nothing to do with anything their ISP is doing. Attempts by the government to regulate the Internet as a monolithic entity can only result in changing the asynchronous nature of the Internet and will ultimately *ruin* the Internet we now enjoy--which is why no one wants to screw around with it.

Yes, the FCC has changed its own definition as to what constitutes "broadband." Unfortunately, that means squat as to the status quo. This isn't a "regulation"...it's more of a "declaration" that is meant to sound good politically while accomplishing very little in reality.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 29, 2015, 11:44 WaltC

Computers are not "intelligent" and they do not "think" (which is a prerequisite for being "intelligent", I believe)...;)

"Super-intelligent AI" doesn't exist anywhere except in fiction. There are quite enough realities to "worry about" without wringing my hands over things that don't exist.

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 29, 2015, 09:07 WaltC

Oh, gee, you mean there is no "post pc" era, after all, just because it would have been convenient for Apple and would have matched the company's product plans? /sarcasm

Apple is going "post pc"--that's obvious. Nobody else, though...;)

News Comments > Evening Interviews
22. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 29, 2015, 08:58 WaltC

Which brings to mind the phrase "gratuitous sex." In real life it is difficult to have "gratuitous sex." But in games, books, and movies, gratuitous sex is obvious and sticks out like a sore thumb. Yes, sex is "natural" and so forth in real life, but games, books, and movies are contrived forms of entertainment--not real life. Personally, I've never had a sex shortage in real life and so when watching movies, reading books, or playing computer games, I never say to myself, "Gee, where's the sex part?"

Now, maybe if I was ~15 or so, and not yet accustomed to having sex as a daily part of my life, I might actually say something like that...;) It's been a long, long time since I was 15, though, and frankly this kind of thing looks kind of silly in computer games--"cartoon sex" (like Popeye & Oliveoil) comes to mind. I'm not offended by it, I just think it looks silly, frankly. In books, movies and games, routinely, there are plenty of dramatic devices that demonstrate a close relationship, including sex, that don't require a graphic demonstration of sex--how much graphic sex is in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, or the movie trilogy, for instance?

This is the one area I disagree with CDProject Red about...the reality is that anyone sufficiently determined will at some point in his life have all the sex he wants--that's actually a regular part of life for most adults. But in fantasy games what won't happen in real life is monster slaying, living in fantasy realms, and the rest of it. That's the appeal. Yeah, sex is indeed natural--in adult life. Inside fantasy entertainment though it often comes off as designed specifically to titillate pubescent teens...;)

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 28, 2015, 17:11 WaltC

The Dream of Windows Phone on a Tablet...? Not a dream I've ever had...maybe a nightmare...;)

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 28, 2015, 16:06 WaltC

Insult to injury--he arrests her for drunk driving and then breaks into her phone and steals her nude pics. Yeah, I know darn well that the naked pictures of myself that I keep on my phone to remind myself what a chick-magnet I am might someday be viewed by the wrong people, but I'm prepared for that eventuality[/sarcasm.]  

8. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 28, 2015, 09:47 WaltC

I don't think even EA would be dumb enough to do this in a PC or console title...;) But mobile? It's Suckerville and they see you coming a mile away.  

News Comments > EA Financial Results
10. Re: EA Financial Results Jan 28, 2015, 09:35 WaltC

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 20:42:
On a slightly more serious note, what's interesting here is that EA has divulged per platform revenue. Total GAAP net revenue for Q3/2014 on the PC is 19%, consoles 71%, mobile 8% and other 2%. These numbers are very similar to what UbiSoft is usually reporting so it's interesting to see that big publisher revenue distribution appears to follow a common pattern.

What's also interesting is that by their estimates the PC went up +4% in Q4/2014 to 23% while mobile gained +5% (=13% total) but consoles dropped by almost -10% to "only" 61%. Could this have to do with the success of DAI and especially the Denuvo copy protection on the PC? There wasn't much else than DAI that would give the PC such a boost except maybe the Shadow of Revan expansion for SWTOR or some BF4 DLC but those are very low price so EA would have to move crazy volumes to even make a bump. Q4 was also stuffed with high profile console releases so I'm on the verge of being convinced that this was DAI + Denuvo.

It's really difficult to understand what EA is talking about most of the time--it's deliberate obfuscation. For instance, when they say "digital" sometimes they mean "downloaded" & other times they mean "all the software we sell" (because it is all digital, of course.) But the bottom line is that EA caters primarily to the console game markets--especially the 360/PS3 markets--and doesn't really do all that much with/for PC gaming. They make money with PC games despite themselves, more or less.

It's not surprising...if you read some EA executive statements you walk away with the idea that these guys haven't much of a clue about anything--some of their statements during Microsoft's embarrassing xBone reveal were true facepalm/LMAO comments--dumb, dumb, dumb...;) But the global gaming markets are so big that even a dummy can make money at it just by getting a minority of things right.

I do not consider EA to be even close to a PC-game bellwether. IE, you cannot use EA statements to divine the state of PC gaming. For that, you have to look at companies like Microsoft or, more importantly, Valve (even Kickstarter), to get a valid picture. It shows you that with a different emphasis EA could be far more successful than the company is at the moment. But with EA's executive mindset that isn't likely.

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collection Next Month
41. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection Next Month Jan 26, 2015, 16:47 WaltC

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 10:28:

I am very much looking forward to playing this on a modern system. I, too, have all the originals (including Cataclysm) but they're pain in the ass to get running on a modern OS and the render mode is always stuck in "Software" as the Dx calls that the originals used are deprecated in today's world and even forcing it causes an ugly screen blink that gives me headaches. OpenGL works...provided it I run it in WINE on a Linux box.

H1 runs great for me @1600x1200 D3d with all of the eye-candy options maxxed. Beautiful. Not sure why you're having problems--win10TP B. 9926. Running in straight-up Win 10 mode, no compatible modes selected/needed. Catalyst 14.12 Omegas, 6-core FX-6300 @ 4.5GHz, 8 Gigs ram, HD 7850 2GB.

Can't get H2 to run yet...still trying though...

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 25, 2015, 16:29 WaltC

That's pretty good for an Apple product...19 hours...I mean, the 40-year old Accutron watch my Dad left me is accurate to within 1 second per year and its battery only lasts 3-5 years.

Go, Apple! (*golf clap*) The face of that thing even looks "Mickey Mouse," if you know what I mean...;)

News Comments > More on Windows 10 and Xbox
28. Re: More on Windows 10 and Xbox Jan 22, 2015, 10:06 WaltC

Slick wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 09:10:
panbient wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 07:59:
I know my internet was out for 'a few days' last week. Or did I accidentally fall into a coma for a few years instead? What happened to Windows 9?

Did they forget what comes after 8 or did I miss something? Why stick with numbers if you're not going to be sequential? Did 7 really eat 9?

Lol, i can't believe i didn't think of that. good ol 7-8-9. anyways the real reason there's no Window 9 is because there's still checks in the codebase pertaining to Windows 95 and Windows 98. so anything that starts with "Windows 9-" is already buried in there somehow to this day. So the practical solution was go to 10 (or anything that doesn't start with "windows 9-"). there was never a "Windows 1". although with this penchant for "one" in their marketing, that day might come sooner than later...

Well, the nomenclature in the OS relative to older operating systems is the "6.x.xx" numbering nomenclature that began--IIRC--with Win NT, long ago. I'm not sure why Microsoft changed the kernel numbering scheme to "10" except for the idea that someone in the company thought that the Version number in the OS should match up with the kernel number--which is a PR thing that nobody really cares about at all--except the PR weenies, who think the world turns on superficialities...;)

Of course, the problem with changing the kernel identifier to 10.x is that older applications that look for the Win NT 6.x.xx number to tell them that this is Windows and it's OK to go ahead and install and/or run...will break. Unless, of course, Microsoft continues to keep the 6.x.xx numbers in the code somewhere for compatibility--they might restrict the NT numbering scheme to Windows compatibility mode settings from now on, I suppose, although that will just mean that older software that continues to install and/or run fine under 8.1 without any compatibility settings may *require* them, even just for installs, in Win10 RTM. That's my take on it, anyway...

Edit: Well, Vista was actually the first to use 6.x.xx...;) Here's the list through Win7:

http://www.geoffchappell.com/studies/windows/km/ntoskrnl/history/index.htm

Win8 was 6.2.xx, and I suppose Win9 would have been 6.3.xx; Win10 6.4.xx, and so on...but now we're changing everything to 10.x...whupee...;)

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2015, 10:12.

702 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo