Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 849 (Graduate)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Issues Fixed
15. Re: Steam Issues Fixed Dec 26, 2015, 16:52 WaltC

Armengar wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 15:06:
Ironically here in the uk it is worse to use paypal. We have quite a lot of laws helpping consumers using credit cards. But paypal proxy uses your credit card so the law wouldnt help you with a steam purchase via paypal.

Paypal is bank, legally, in that situation, and the same CC laws that apply to banks apply to Paypal, of course. Remember that for each PP Steam purchase you get a receipt from PP telling you what was paid for with your money, and you get a receipt from Valve which proves you paid for your merchandise. So, instead of just one receipt from a CC bank--use PP and you have 2 receipts per online transaction.

It's hard for people to accept that in this world and on this planet perfection does not exist--except as a pie-in-the-sky ideal that nobody ever reaches. 100% security & safety is an illusion. We're all mortal! The sooner people realize this the sooner they'll grow up...;) I'm often amazed that there aren't massive online outages every day--and that's because of redundant systems. But even they can fail--as when an error is copied to all of the redundant systems then the backups fail, too. Crap happens...it is inevitable in the human condition.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X
4. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 24, 2015, 15:47 WaltC

I can't understand why anyone with more than a purely casual, take-it-or-leave it attitude about games would voluntarily confine himself to OS X or a Linux distro. I can understand, however, people dual-booting these OSes alongside Windows, if they wish to game. Because if you game the very best place to be, bar none, is Windows. There's really no comparison. And it isn't just that the games are so much more plentiful & generally a lot better on Windows (because they aren't ports from another company using OpenGL wrappers, etc.)--the drivers for gaming hardware (like GPUs, etc.) are a lot better and the hardware itself is far more plentiful in the Windows environment.

This isn't to knock other OSes at all--just to comment on the fact that it is also difficult for me to understand why game companies even bother to pay for OS X/Linux ports of their games, or why OS X/Linux "gamers" (I feel those are oxymorons) are willing to wait months and years on second-rate game ports that often never come at all.

In short, I can see dual-booting OS X or Linux with Windows and gaming on Windows--can't see the value of restricting myself to either non-Windows environment unless gaming is something I can take or leave. I would imagine this is pretty much universal.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Christmas Eve Metaverse
1. Re: Christmas Eve Metaverse Dec 24, 2015, 15:27 WaltC

That article about "Internet Freedom" is weird. It forgets that most phone plans include Internet access and not by choice--user must pay for it to get the phone service. Broadband is and always has been completely a matter of choice. And it's so much less expensive than phone Internet connectivity! I haven't had a cap since I left Comcast/AT&T--years ago. Talking about caps--phone Internet service is infamous for 5GB caps, etc. Last of all, the article seems to think that phone service and broadband use two wholly different Internets, or something...;) I frankly gave up on what the author was trying to say--I don't think he knows.

Merry Christmas!

News Comments > French Steam Lawsuit
8. Re: French Steam Lawsuit Dec 18, 2015, 14:14 WaltC

NetHead wrote on Dec 18, 2015, 11:00:
Valve claims ownership of the rights of any user-created content uploaded to Steam.

This monetising mods thing is even more insidious than I thought if they're trying to take ownership of any user created content uploaded to them.

Why upload a mod to Steam if you can upload it to Nexus? Why ever pay for a mod? I won't do either. (That's not to say I wouldn't donate if the author asked and I thought he deserved it.) At any rate, I thought I'd read that Steam quickly cancelled its plans for paid mods, shortly after announcing them--the uproar was fairly loud. Modding is an amateur sport that anyone can participate in--paid mods would likely have destroyed the practice.

I tried Steam mods a couple of years ago and quickly stopped when I realized I could not run a game without Steam checking for and downloading any new version of the mod(s) that might exist--sometimes delaying the start of the game by several minutes and also breaking lots of things. Ugh. No thanks.

But I think the important thing to remember is that nobody is ever forced to use any service, including Steam, whatever the terms. I'm in favor of people using their money with discretion--I'm not in favor of people who accept terms in order to use a service (good outweighing the bad) and then bitch about it and want to sue. That's childish. Don't like a service or a product? Don't use or buy it. That's much smarter than complaining about it and trying to get governments to force a company's hand.

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
5. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Dec 17, 2015, 21:03 WaltC

Where did 15.15 come from...?

I feel like they've gone stark, raving bananas--the first Crimson driver was not released as a beta--presumably, it was therefore a WHQL driver. Except that it wasn't a WHQL driver at all. The second driver released was a beta Crimson driver officially, which supposedly fixed a few things. This third Crimson driver is not a beta driver, but somehow is the exact same driver released as a beta earlier--the second Crimson driver. So the 15.12 WHQL is exactly the same driver as the 15.11.1b Crimson?

Wouldn't it have been better to have left the 15.11.1b driver alone until you had some substantial improvements for the next release? And the original 15.11.1b Catalyst driver release has just vanished--I still have it in my AMD directory. AMD has removed the driver completely--even on the Previous Drivers page the "15.11" drivers are the original Crimsons--and not the original Catalyst drivers. They've taken something exceedingly simple and made a mess of it, imo.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 14, 2015, 10:33 WaltC

Wake me when Musk has something to show other than a concept. I've got some cool anti-gravity concepts--but, darn, can't find the investors. I am really tired of hearing Hawking and Musk and Gates drone on and on about "AI's" and "having to leave the planet one day" and "Global Warming" (although that last is mainly Gates)--these guys have all had their noses buried in good science fiction for far too long. I love science fiction, myself, but these guys think the "fiction" part of it is actually "prophesy"--which is where & why they are so confused.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 14, 2015, 10:24 WaltC

People have these nutty ideas about Defender being poor simply because it's free and ships with Windows. It's an obvious fact, though, that companies wanting to charge you for an AV/AM program want you to think exactly that. The fact is that you cannot trust the "tests" that are run proving that Defender is great or that it stinks--I've read one of each in the last month...;) Use what you like and what gets the job done for you with a minimum of false positives (ideally none) and that doesn't gum up your system to run like it is mired in molasses...;) Whether it's free or it isn't is, imo, irrelevant. Many of the game and applications problems people have in Windows come from their AV program gumming up their works--I've used Defender since before Microsoft purchased the company and have never seen the need to use anything else. Before that I used Norton's--and what a bloody awful mess that was...!...;)

News Comments > Star Citizen Nears $100M
7. Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 12, 2015, 14:37 WaltC

Actually, Derek Smart says that his relatives in the Alpha Centauri system (planet AmBorger) report that the Supreme Council has voted to provide whatever funding will be needed to complete the game, since they are satisfied with its progress at last. Smart therefore withdraws all of his charges and objections as he believes the aliens to be an unimpeachable source of truth. (He communicates directly with them through the handy Venusian signal transmitters they installed there for Smart's benefit, via receivers that are attuned to his brain waves, exclusively, during such times as those brain waves exist.)  

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 2.0
9. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Dec 11, 2015, 21:30 WaltC

Timmeh wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 20:19:
so this pretty much makes Derek Smart look like an uninformed trouble making ass...

or am i wrong..

There was never any doubt about that. There were only those who knew it, and those who didn't.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 7, 2015, 14:52 WaltC

Yes, Indeed...those were heady days...just as he says! Sort of sad to see them gone in a sense...it was all so new...!

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
3. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Dec 1, 2015, 11:31 WaltC

The amazing thing about this for me is that this is the first time in GPU history that a GPU no longer allows the user to change screen resolutions from the driver! Desktop systray icon is still there--but it does next to nothing now. Have to drop out to a 3rd-party application (eg, Windows Display Properties, or some other application) just to change screen res. And AMD hasn't said a word about it! It's as if they are thinking that if they don't say anything no one will notice...lol...;) Amazing times. Everything is dumbing down, it seems--dumb and dumber.  

News Comments > AMD Crimson Drivers Issue
17. Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Nov 30, 2015, 19:49 WaltC

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 19:36:
You're right, AMD would never release notoriously hot and loud GPUs! Oh wait, you don't have to go back 10 years for that...

290X

And all of them pale in comparison to the Champion of Noise, nVidia's inimitable nV30...! Known affectionately as "The Leaf Blower"...in 3d gaming circles everywhere...;)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2015, 16:27 WaltC

I really enjoyed the Black Friday article (Myths.) Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving to all and to all a goo-...wait, (darned Alzheimer's--getting my holidays confused again!) Hope everyone enjoyed the holiday!

News Comments > Windows and OS X PS4 Remote Play Plans
4. Re: Windows and OS X PS4 Remote Play Plans Nov 27, 2015, 15:46 WaltC

ItBurn wrote on Nov 27, 2015, 14:57:
I don't get it. Why would you want to do this?

Completely agree...you'd then be limiting the PC's performance to the GPU/CPU in the console (and any API limitations it has)--when odds are that if you use your PC for any 3d gaming at all that it'll be way more powerful than a PS4 (or an xBone.) You could stream but the games would perform very poorly compared to running them natively in your box--imo.

I really don't get all this "streaming in the living room" crap...;) My living room is for TV/Movies and a great sound system--my computer room is for my games, a powerful PC that easily cleans the clock of any console ever made, and a pair of great earphones...;) Wouldn't have it any other way.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 26, 2015, 12:51 WaltC

I doubt AMD is "circling the drain," but the Crimson drivers are a bust, imo. The amount of functionality present in the Catalysts that these drivers strip out is incredible: like, for instance, resolution switching--gone! Can't change screen res from inside the Crimson interface! Have to go out to Windows Display Properties to do that! Crazy, man. Nuts! The good news is you can load the Crimson driver into the 15.11.1 CCC (via the Device Manager) and everything is working, including hotkey support, Systray info and resolution changing--even your game profiles are preserved. This also preserves the Crimson driver's "Custom Monitor support"--if you can get it to work--I couldn't. Amazingly enough, CRU is an ancient utility but works fine with Win10 & the Crimson drivers...!

The Crimson interface was designed for consoles, obviously. Whatever PC functionality it has was added late--and as a result doesn't work or is completely missing--like resolution switching. Worst driver release I've seen from AMD since 2001--actually, the Crimson driver itself is very good--works fine in the CCC, all function preserved. What's so poor is the Crimson interface--it's no replacement for the CCC at all--not even close.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 26, 2015, 12:38 WaltC

Creston wrote on Nov 26, 2015, 09:39:
Yes, let's go after Curt Schilling some more. Don't bother putting the assholes who GAVE the man the loan in jail, but try to wring some more money out of someone who is essentially already bankrupt. Rolleyes

Exactly...Let's find a scapegoat for our CYA policies. Notice how politicians are loathe to accept consequences for their judgment calls? It's always someone else's fault, etc. Reminds me of the Clintons, exactly...;)

News Comments > AMD Crimson Drivers Debut
4. Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Debut Nov 24, 2015, 20:43 WaltC

The interface opens for me in ~1 second--very fast--very well laid out--I installed right on top of 15.11.1b and it went like clockwork. Faster than a the 15.11.1b CCC install by a healthy amount, I thought. AMD has a winner here. Generally I'm not impressed with cosmetic upgrades for drivers, but this one impresses me. (It adds several new features under game profile control besides the new control panel, so it wasn't just a cosmetic upgrade.) The layout and control access is so much better--nice & intuitive.  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 23, 2015, 16:26 WaltC

Date of the OpenGL article is ~18 months ago. Hardly seems current. Odd choice for a link.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 21, 2015, 14:43 WaltC

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2015, 12:20:
Leave earth?

No...don't falsify applications for federal government jobs (it's a felony)...;)

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 19, 2015, 14:44 WaltC

SteamOS was always Valve's knee-jerk reaction to Microsoft opening an online store which Valve (Newell) believed was aimed at Valve (it wasn't, it was aimed at Apple. Ironically, Valve has no problem conceptually with the Apple Store.) So Newell threw a tantrum and made all sorts of wild & crazy announcements that had no chance of bearing fruit--including "SteamOS"--which is a complete misnomer because it's just another Linux distro with a Valve software layer on top. It is hardly a "Steam OS" at all...;) The biggest impediment to the Linux community is that it wants everything free and if it has to pay for it--forget it. Windows users, otoh, are used to paying for things and so that's where the development gets done for games & hardware.

But, "SteamOS" may well have served its real purpose--to get Microsoft's attention. AMD did something similar with Mantle. Microsoft seems to have taken the "hints" pretty well and gotten itself back on track, finally, with a decent desktop GUI and d3d12. Took 'em long enough...;)

849 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo