Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 797 (Graduate)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 19, 2015, 15:41 WaltC

Trying to figure out why this is remotely interesting...:)  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Update
69. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 15:35 WaltC

yuastnav wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 12:43:
... I've dreamt of what Chris is trying to do since I was a kid but while growing up I realised that this is just not possible, at least not now.

I've dreamed for 25 years of an RPG with incredible depth and attention to detail, complete realism, and a fantastic and fascinating storyline, done with movie-like production values in its graphics & sound presentation--and was about to give it up as a forlorn hope---and then came Witcher 3. CDPR has just raised the RPG bar--the game-development bar--by a huge amount.

Just because someone hasn't done it there's no reason it cannot be done. Amazing feats require will and dedication, and saying "it hasn't been done because it can't be done," is the surest way to fail before you get started. Lots of companies fail for lack of a vision--they quit, just give up and disappear. The developers that don't are the ones we all know and the ones we remember--the ones that succeed. So many people think they know "what it takes" to make a game, but usually, they don't. Every game is different, every team is different, etc. Should the game finish up in the next couple of years and people like it, no one will remember how long it took to make it.

Heck, I thought Valve was done for because I hadn't heard from them for several years and out of the blue up pops HL2. Then Valve goes on to found Steam. All things are possible, pretty much.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 15, 2015, 23:10 WaltC

Win10 is very nice...if you are still using Win7/8.1, however, I'd recommend waiting to upgrade until the next major release of Win10 for everyone, coming in about a month or so--reason being that it will allow users to activate Win10 using their Win7/8.1 product keys, which is really nice and long overdue. I'm in the Insiders using build 10565 and as of this build just released to us the Win7/8/8.1 product keys are all you need to activate...! Much better than all of that "reinstall your upgrade OS and then upgrade to 10" garbage...;)

There's tons more "spyware" in Android than there is in Win10, btw. Microsoft "spying" on people is just more nonsense from the Snowden School of Stupidity...but people love their little conspiracies, don't they?...;) (Sometimes lately reading the headlines I feel as though I've traveled back in time to a medieval world drenched in superstition where people saw wood sprites and faeries everywhere. Only difference today is that "spirits" are electronic in nature--the fear and superstition part hasn't changed at all--just human nature, I guess.)

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 15, 2015, 08:35 WaltC

As usual, another article gets it wrong--there's no "flaw" in Win10 at all, it's only in IE (which I don't use at all.)

I think that people who honestly believe Win10 is "spying on them" are in desperate need of psychological care (to be nice about it.)

News Comments > Into the Black
17. Re: Into the Black Oct 13, 2015, 09:24 WaltC

Verno wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 09:10:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 20:40:
[url=http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/trip-mars-could-give-you-brain-damage-180955157/?no-ist[/url]

good luck with all that, NASA trying to remain relevant while their funds are diverted to blowing up brown people in a far off desert.

You're assuming Donald Trump will win

If a Democrat should win *shudder* then we'll be blowing up "brown people" here eventually, no doubt about it...;)

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VII Collector's Edition Refunds
15. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VII Collector's Edition Refunds Oct 12, 2015, 17:13 WaltC

Such a simple solution...simply provide the game in a format suitable for saving the installation files to disk(s)...and let your customers provide the disk(s) for themselves...I see nothing wrong with that. UbiSoft has kind of screwed themselves with Uplay, imo.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed
60. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 11, 2015, 20:59 WaltC

I bailed at the bizarre "referral program" segment...bizarre because the guy who spoke about it mispronounced "referral" all the way through...calling it REF'-r-ul (instead of reFER'al)...;) I don't think I've ever heard the word butchered like that...! Surely someone should have brought this to his attention--production values oversight needed.

Other than that, it looks to be a very nice game that's shaping up!

News Comments > The Witcher III Patched
21. Re: The Witcher III Patched Oct 10, 2015, 10:24 WaltC

Steam patch was 6.4GBs. Weird, because CDPR provides the patch to Steam, so I wonder why the GOG version was 17GBs? But I also heard that console patches were much larger, too.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 20:16 WaltC

Fantaz wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 19:57:
damn... i am worried about my job now :S

tho my performance at AMD has been pretty good lately since Win10/Fury launch, so i shouldn't need to worry? also we didn't get any e-mail about this layoffs yet internally?

Good luck to you...according to what I read nobody in engineering is being laid off--yes if Microsoft can take a ~7B charge and layoff thousands, I doubt this is a death knell for AMD. One quarter Intel laid off 10,000 people. Last quarter saw AMD take back ~18% market share from nVidia, so the actual current number is nv ~60%, AMD gpus ~40%--Tweaktown is dead wrong again. nVidia spiked when it released Maxwell--AMD spiked when its new Furies & R's were released--it's always like this--see-saw when new products are released. And of course, this is quarterly GPU marketshare and only deals with the percentages of GPUs sold in the quarter--not the total number of installed GPUs, which is an altogether different number. But accuracy is the last thing AMD doomsayers are interested in...;)

News Comments > New AMD Catalyst Beta
3. Re: New AMD Catalyst Beta Oct 2, 2015, 13:31 WaltC

Pr()ZaC wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 11:31:
Drayth wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 10:35:
I was reading that there was a serious memory leak issue when resizing windows on the desktop, these probably have the fix.

Interesting rumor.
Bingo.

That is correct--it's completely fixed in 15.9.1. No one should use 15.9.

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
100. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 2, 2015, 10:15 WaltC

IMO, "Smart" (if not a fake name it's certainly ironic) is completely whacko and eaten up with jealousy. When he used to write voluminously on his earlier "games" he came off as delusional.

"I don't think he's sinister, or a bad person. He's Donald Trump. He thinks that if he wants to do something, he can. Because he's Chris Roberts."

Whomever wrote that is also eaten up with jealousy. Egos get big in the business, and jealousy is eternal. The fact is that this game is the game Smart wishes he could make--the game Smart thinks he is destined to make--alone, among all the other human primates. But if he can't do it, and he can't, he's determined that no one else will do it, either. Thus his idiotic, moronic crusade against this game.

Star Citizen is not the kind of game I like. Truth is, I hated Wing Commander when it came out and thought it was a horrible game--felt as though I'd wasted my money. Quality of the graphics and video was horrible--a product chained to the technology of the day. But I have no problem with people funding whatever games they want to fund. Roberts has a huge job ahead and what he will end up with I can't say. The only thing I know for sure is that in a million years "Smart" couldn't do it. I think that from here on out Roberts should completely ignore these people by just saying he won't dignify their stupidity with a response because he has a game to finish--very much unlike "Smart"!

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Gets $2M in Funding
10. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Gets $2M in Funding Sep 30, 2015, 18:28 WaltC

Original Sin EE is just around the corner...!...;) I shall have to start a new game, of course...! (What a great year for RPGs 2015 has been...!)

News Comments > NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming
2. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Sep 30, 2015, 18:23 WaltC

The constant spewing of childish BS like this is precisely why I haven't bought a nVidia GPU since 2002...! Ugh...! (But it's fun watching them do moronic stuff like this...;))

News Comments > The Witcher III Cost $81M
6. Re: The Witcher III Cost $81M Sep 9, 2015, 21:01 WaltC

Watching the clip it's easy to see how pleased and excited they are by the results--selling 6M copies and making $62M *net profits* in roughly six weeks (they grossed a couple hundred million!) is frigging amazing..!

What I am most pleased about is that the cost for the entire game (plus global *marketing*, believe it or not!) was only $82M...! That's wonderful, imo. Especially when you consider that in-house they said they had 240 employees working on W3 full time and globally the total was ~1500 or so people who worked on W3 in some capacity! Fantastic job! Incredibly good use of the development and marketing money! (I read Rockstar spent more than that on their marketing alone for GTAV! The worse the game, the more money has to be spent on marketing to sell it--just like for bad movies...;) Now that everyone globally knows the game exists W3 will sell itself, no doubt, from here on out.)

They've already been able to pay off their debts and W3 games are still being ordered in quantity globally...so as the sales of the W3 (and then its expansions) continue they'll be able to keep a much higher percentage of their revenue since they've already settled their bills relating to W3 development. The net profit of $62M comes only after they've subtracted 100% of their development costs ($82M) and other expenses--so their revenues going forward with W3 should be phenomenal.

Couldn't happen to a nicer company, imo. It's easy to see these people are hard workers and have some very talented people on board who don't think they are royalty and don't demand scandalous amounts of money...as some of their "colleagues" in other companies most certainly do...*cough*...;) CDPR is simply going to blaze right past them because of it. CDPR has always had one extremely valuable commodity many other successful companies lack: humility. CDPR, unlike EA, for instance, doesn't constantly give interviews in which their employees repeat all kinds of stupid and false things...;)

They mentioned that they know the value of "giving their customers more than they expect to receive" and I felt like giving them a standing ovation for making that statement--so refreshing and so, so over-the-top smart! Microsoft could take lessons from these folks--heck, many people in the industry could and should. CDPR understands the notion of continuing to invest in a game long after it initially ships, with DLC & with EE patches (which is something now being emulated by a couple of other companies--but it was CDPR who started the Enhanced Edition value adds in their products. It keeps people buying their games *years* after they initially ship.)

CDPR has been a fantastic influence on the industry, and I celebrate these fantastic results with them! (Bring out the party gear and let's go!...:D)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2015, 11:55 WaltC

I think the real issue is whether the NFL was concerned enough to issue a rule change about asking for and getting a new football at any point during a football game. The NFL showed no interest whatsoever in any rules change relative to this incident.

How about this quote from another article that is the most damning of all:

The referees discovered all 11 of footballs used by the Patriots offense were underinflated and inflated them to regulation pressure for the second half, the ruling said.

The decision noted that Brady passed better in the second half than the first. The Patriots won that game by a landslide, 45-7. They went on to win the Super Bowl in a thrilling last-minute finish.

Which was proof positive that the under-inflated footballs didn't help Brady as much as they hurt him!

Also this, buried at the bottom of the ESPN article:

Patriots executives were furious that a Jan. 19 letter they received from NFL executive David Gardi contained two critical facts -- details the league used as the basis for its investigation -- that were later proved false: that during a surprise inspection at halftime of the AFC Championship Game one of New England's footballs tested far below the legal weight limit, at 10.1 psi, and that all of the Colts' balls were inflated to the permitted range. A source close to Brady views the targeting of him as resentment and retribution by opposing teams: "Tom has won 77 percent of his games -- in a league that is designed for parity, that's a no-no."

The ESPN article amounts to yet another attempt at PC thought control--something that ESPN excels in lately--they are much better political & social propagandists than they are a sports network. It's a shame that more people don't see the truth about ESPN--their propaganda is blatant. What's more--they actively oppose anyone, and will fire any employee, whose private opinions on various topics differs from those privately & personally held by ESPN executives. Horrible conduct, imo.

Circumstantial cases amount to he-said, she-said contests, and both parties in this matter had vested interests relative to the outcome--the Colts (although the Colts really didn't have a leg to stand on in the first place as Brady did better with the footballs that passed Colt's muster!) & the Patriots. Therefore, Goodell should have insisted on empirical proof of any allegations of this kind--and nothing less--and in the absence of that, he should have dismissed all allegations relating to conduct that could not be proven to have ever taken place. He-said, she-said, is not enough to go around fining teams millions of $ and suspending their star quarterbacks. That stinks, imo. With arbitration like that, who needs enemies?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2015, 13:58 WaltC

What a great solar-system video!

It's not that light is "slow" by any means--186,000 miles per second isn't "slow"--it just that the distances in space are so incredibly vast it boggles the mind. This video does a terrific job of helping viewers conceptualize such great distances (distances that have no Earthly analogue.) Imagine that just to get to the nearest star (Alpha Centarii) would take 4 years @ 186,000 miles per second, just to go one way. If we wanted to come back--it would take another 4 years same speed of travel. Meanwhile, the Earth would have aged 500 years--or something relative to time dilation...while we'd have aged 8 years. It may well be 5 centuries before we can even approach space travel at a respectable percentage of light speed...

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
16. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Aug 30, 2015, 11:22 WaltC

jimnms wrote on Aug 29, 2015, 22:03:
Krowen wrote on Aug 29, 2015, 16:52:
You need parental features (specifically Family Safety) enabled on the associated Microsoft account and a family account on the OS, it's not like this happens by accident unless you don't read what you're clicking.

Most people don't bother to read anymore. They've been conditioned over to just scroll to the bottom and hit OK.

Really? They seem able to read every sensational, half-true, exaggerated article on the Internet, though, don't they?...:) But you have a point in that most people simply don't know when they're being suckered with click bait. *cough*

"I read it on the Internet so I know it has to be true!"...

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Sells 6M
11. Re: The Witcher 3 Sells 6M Aug 27, 2015, 11:26 WaltC

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 11:11:
I'm still so, so far from the end. The game is ridiculously huge, I know what the "halfway point" is, and I'm not there. It's almost too long of a game, I play it in spurts...might play for 8 hours straight, then not touch it for a few weeks. The amount of dialogue is staggering, although it still feels weird when Geralt says shit out loud that no one would (so the player understands what he's seeing from clues).

Great game, got it free with my video card but gladly would have paid for it. Do the sales represent copies that came with cards?

You got it free with your video card, but the IHV that bundled the game paid for every copy they gave away--not retail, of course, but likely a decent amount. I would assume 6M is the total number for all sales to date. A great summer indeed for CDPR.

As for the length and depth of the game, it seems suitable for an "epic" in every respect. I've also noticed Geralt talking to himself...;) But it was either that or the game just throwing up text, and the guy who does Geralt has an interesting voice, imo...

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released
19. Re: Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released Aug 25, 2015, 14:10 WaltC

For me, the only lengthy load from a save is the very first one in a session...that one takes ~60 seconds or so I would estimate--definitely long enough for me to notice...! After that, though, the loads are ~10 secs...They might be building a session cache during the first load...  

News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
113. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 21:48 WaltC

I think without a doubt you can always trust Smart to do something really stupid...;)  

797 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo