Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 682 (Apprentice)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Bards Tale Trilogy for The Bards Tale IV Backers
3. Re: The Bards Tale Trilogy for The Bards Tale IV Backers Jun 11, 2015, 00:01 WaltC

Bill Borre wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 23:19:
But no Dragon Wars?

Heh...;) Already have the Amiga version & the DOS version--Amiga version is much nicer...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Bards Tale Trilogy for The Bards Tale IV Backers
1. Re: The Bards Tale Trilogy for The Bards Tale IV Backers Jun 10, 2015, 23:06 WaltC

Great deal...I signed up for the $75 tier that gives me Tides of Numera, Wasteland 2 & of course BTIV--plus more copies of BT1,2 & 3...!

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 7, 2015, 20:13 WaltC

Must be a really, really slow week for Steam... Pre-orders for the Steam controller @ # 5? Either it was a really bad week or else the idiot quotient within the larger population is on the rise--Incredible...;) Some people will buy anything apparently...! I bought F:NV two years ago at $5.00 during the Steam Christmas sale...Amazing stuff. (Get the mods for it, however--they improve it greatly.) Apparently Steam's volumes are dropping--possibly the real cause of the just-announced Steam refund policy, you think?

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/?

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Trailer
8. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 11:40 WaltC

nin wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 10:30:

It almost looks too good to the point that I worry about their budget supporting it. Of course, we don't know how much of their own money they're bringing to the table. But I feel pretty confident (based on the videos with the kid, and Fargo's comments) it doesn't feature outside funding.

But hey, I'm along for the ride. I keep seeing stuff like this (specifically gameplay/combat mechanic examples) and the pledge will go up as well.

People often believe that the artistry of a game boils down to the amount of money spent on it...nothing could be further from true...;) This trailer looks great because the crew who put it together knows what it's doing--and is talented enough to make it happen. That's far more important than throwing money at a game. Take a look at EA if you want to see where "How many game developers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?" philosophy gets you. It really doesn't matter how much money or how little money you throw at a game--if you don't know what you're doing the rest of it is in vain.

This looks great, so far! I especially liked the Talking Mouth...I had forgotten about them from the first games--so great to see those concepts finally brought to life! This may be the Bard's Tale that lived in my imagination as I played the game back in the 80's! This may even be better.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 2, 2015, 19:47 WaltC

As usual, the "Cruddington Ghost" (my nickname for that propaganda rag) is all wrong about just about everything...;) But, you can't argue with heterophobes, can you?

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Launches
3. Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 2, 2015, 19:44 WaltC

I confess my ignorance of the title, but if this is another D3-like "Let's build our DRM into the structure of the game itself," I'll pass, again. Is it? Anyone know?

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter
25. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Jun 2, 2015, 19:41 WaltC

Cutter wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 17:54:
Darks wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 16:13:
Anyone else wondering how they are going to fund this game when they are giving away three games. each game cost at least 20 dollars. and there are 11580 backers. times that by 20 and that already over 230 thousand.

Seems like a lot of funding is going to get wasted on a free game promised.

How's it costing them that? They aren't physical products and giving away copies doesn't mean they were going to translate into sales to begin with. That's the argument corps use against piracy and it doesn't work. People will just not buy it instead.

Yes, that's the great thing about successful Kickstarters: when the game ships its development costs have already been paid and from there on out it should all be sweet profit gravy...! I'd wager that 80%-90% of all the people who were going to buy those other games have already purchased them by now. They are losing nothing here, but potentially getting a much better response to this particular Kickstarter.

Console MSRP's of $60 out of the starting gate are just plain *wrong*. $50-$60 for per-copy costs might have made sense in 1990 when there were something like six-million computers in the entire world capable of running 2d games...;) Today there are at least 1.5 billion people running Windows in the world (some version thereof) and out of that at least a solid 60,000,000-120,000,000 "computer gamers" in the market! Charging 1990 prices in 2015 is guaranteed to get you nice fat rates of piracy. But, greed is always short-sighted, isn't it? Some developers and publishers understand the markets today, others don't. But that always been true. Good for InXile!

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VII Closed Beta Tomorrow
2. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VII Closed Beta Tomorrow Jun 2, 2015, 19:25 WaltC

I am upset at the wasted opportunity to take what they learned with M&M X and move ahead in that direction--Heroes of M&M VII is a completely different sort of game with much different mechanics & engine requirements. I thought they made a great start with M&MX, but that should have been the beginning and not the end--there should have been a M&M XI and XII, frankly. Apparently they had to basically take their M&M X work and simply dump it for this project. "A rolling stone gathers no moss," as the saying goes...;) Ah, if only UbiSoft had had the good sense to fund at least three of the M&MX titles--this group might just have created a gem on the second or third attempt. I hate to see game developers suffer because of a publisher's lack of vision and common sense--publishers throw away millions upon millions of dollars by quitting too soon, imo. (I know this is only a setback for the beta--but still, had then done another M&M--non-Heroes--game they'd have shown an amazing amount of progress by now instead having to go back to the drawing board like this.)  

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Jun 2, 2015, 19:13 WaltC

I am infinitely saddened every time I read of a young person (James Storey) passing out of our reach. When I was younger I remember my father telling me, "Life is short, son, so make the most of it." I thought at the time that he was being unnecessarily dramatic, if not a bit negative. It's a shame that many of us (like me) have to be a decade or two further along than James before we realize it. But that's just life, I guess.  

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter
19. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Jun 2, 2015, 15:54 WaltC

Brumbek wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 13:54:
I almost feel bad for not paying more, but honestly I never played Bard's Tale and never cared much for that genre. But with Legend of Grimlock being AWESOME, I'm glad to support Bard's Tale IV.

I'll have to do something with this Kickstarter...

You should give Bard's Tale II a spin, certainly...In BT1 I can still remember drawing my maps on graph paper--you could not finish the game without doing that...;) It was fun, but I suspect I am far too spoiled to do that again. (Were those maps 20x20 or 22x22 grids?)

I really like inXile. I mean shoot, I even loved their last AAA publisher game Hunted: The Demon's Forge despite it getting slammed by critics and having horrible sales! I still say Hunted was a great game with nice art and interesting lore (and it used Unreal Engine 3, so perhaps Bard's Tale IV will look similar to it!).

If you thought Grimlock was "awesome" then I'd say you think this genre is awesome...;) I think BT2 was my favorite...check them out...!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 1, 2015, 22:28 WaltC

One of the best features of DX12, at least for me, is how the combined memory pools for Crossfire will work (and I assume for SLI, too.) Instead of two 4-gig discrete 3d cards ending up with 4-gigs of ram between them, at long last we'll get the benefit of all 8 GB's of ram. Lots of things to like 'round the bend!

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV 1st Day Kickstarter Incentive
3. Re: The Bard's Tale IV 1st Day Kickstarter Incentive Jun 1, 2015, 22:22 WaltC

I am all for a new Bard's Tale game--Bard's Tale IV sounds fine--but I have to ask--where's Fargo been for the last 20-25 years, eh? I could have used the fourth installment in the series a long time ago. It was actually due a couple of decades back, IIRC. We ought to be hitting around Bard's Tale VIII or so at this time...;) Better late than never, of course--but I have to wonder at the lack of judgement many of these game devs and/or publishers seem to have in terms of knowing their markets and what kinds of games their paying audiences want to see.

I think with many of these guys the problem is they are too close to the forest to see the proverbial tree--I mean, look at Chris Taylor's obvious confusion as to what people like/want to see. (I feel bad for the guy and hope he's getting along under his new boss.) It's like when a Kickstarter makes it and does amazing things--it's like the developers are dumbfounded and can't really understand it because they'd written these types of games off long ago for some unfathomable reasons. So here's Brian back with another Bard's Tale--only 15-20 years late, that is. Go figure...(Talk about "missed opportunities!)

But I'd really like to see a return to smaller studios doing far more creative, imaginative games--sort of like was the case when Fargo shipped The Bard's Tale in the 1980's...! Games simply don't need to cost $40M to be great--not even a tenth of that, really. Before the advent of GLIDE/D3d/OpenGL 3d, it's *amazing* to reflect back on the sorts of diversity games had even when everything was built on 2d, sprite-driven engines with incredibly restrictive hardware resources to run in...! We need to get much closer to the creativity of those days, imo.

I like games like Witcher 3, however, (a lot!) and note that there certainly is a place for big-budget 3d games--it's just that they don't always have to follow that same , tired cookie cutter design. Anyway, It's a real shame that these talented developers of yesteryear had to wait until Kickstarter was born before they could return to their creative roots. I rejoice that these games are coming back, but I lament the long decades without them.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jun 1, 2015, 12:14 WaltC

There is one thing that Political Correctness will never be, and that is it will never be correct...So many strange & weird people obsessed with other people's personal opinions--a monumental waste of time and energy. The Politically Correct crowd would control people's thoughts, if only they could. What weakness--to constantly require reinforcement of your own opinions through the agreement of everyone around you! It doesn't bother me in the slightest whether people agree with me or not--it's their prerogative, and I wouldn't dream of telling them how they ought to think. All I ask is that they return the courtesy, but in general Political Correctness doesn't allow courtesy, and often doesn't tolerate reason, either. Hence I proudly brag that I am completely and utterly incorrect, politically speaking...;)  

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox
16. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox May 30, 2015, 10:15 WaltC

It doesn't seem it's as obvious as it should be, but these lawyers have lost because they had no case. Most "class actions" are like this--they are erroneously labeled "consumer actions" by a naive press but what they are is charity bazaars for the starving attorneys who bring them. This case is so obviously illegitimate that the judge even stripped its class-action status, and in these kinds of suits FAIL doesn't get any bigger than that. Personally, I wish they'd incarcerate these attorneys for wasting everyone else's time and money--it would surely cut the number of spurious lawsuits way back. Starvation is an excellent character-building mode for attorneys and I rejoice whenever I hear that one is properly suffering...;)

When people will learn that pre-ordering games is a stupid practice, and when they will learn that no one is going to protect them in the marketplace better than they can protect themselves--are topics of long discussion...;) Act in haste, repent at leisure, etc.

News Comments > AMD Beta Drivers
2. Re: AMD Beta Drivers May 29, 2015, 11:33 WaltC

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 29, 2015, 11:24:
FYI it's beta 15.5

Yep, 15.5's it is...;) (15.4.x's were released couple of weeks back...)

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 24, 2015, 14:54 WaltC

It's weird...a year before AMD introduced the Athlon (in 1999, IIRC), so-called "analysts" were saying the same thing about AMD then. Here we are on the eve of AMD's upcoming Zen architecture, and it appears history is repeating itself. So...I wonder if AMD could be on the eve of leapfrogging Intel once again on the high end...? For the sake of competition I hope so. x86 computing today owes its current shape to AMD's x86-64 (that Intel licenses for its Core 2 cpus) & DDR SDRAM--back at the time Intel was pushing RDRAM and Itanium for 64-bit computing. (Obviously, the markets did not follow Intel, rather Intel followed the markets which followed AMD.)

Another mitigating factor for AMD is that it now owns ATi--which it did not own in 1998. The merger of AMD's gpu & cpu businesses enabled the company to beat back all comers for the current xBox One and PS4 production contracts, so I think this analyst is likely even more wrong than they were back in '98 when they were saying the same thing...;)

News Comments > CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades
14. Re: CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades May 21, 2015, 09:47 WaltC

Verno wrote on May 21, 2015, 09:28:
Marketing is a tough balancing act as Ubisoft has found out recently with backlash over their displayed vs actual products. In the case of The Witcher 3 I find the game overall to be so nice looking that I don't mind any downgrades.

That's just it--there aren't any downgrades...;) The game is far, far better looking (on the PC) than all of those fake "downgrade" screen shots we saw a couple of days before launch.

Contrasting the released game with the state of the game two years ago makes no sense at all...for more than one reason, too.

1) Nobody, but nobody, would have thought much of this game had it been released in 2013 in the state it was in...;) The released game is infinitely better.

2) There are going to be many improvements made for the PC version as time goes on, as CDPR has already said and as the company has done with every Witcher release to date.

Big brouhaha over nothing, essentially!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse May 18, 2015, 11:40 WaltC

Ozmodan wrote on May 18, 2015, 10:36:
Oh course the US is down near the bottom when it comes to internet speeds as the cable monopolies limit their investment in more infrastructure. And people wonder why the FCC acts the way they do.

Yeah, gosh, that must be why in a US city where I can choose between AT&T and Comcast that I was able to choose a third alternative (a Cogent ISP) that is providing me with ~50Mb/s down and up for less than what Comcast was charging me for 6Mb/s d/512k u in 2010. It must be because "the cable monopolies are deliberately holding me hostage to the slowest Internet on the planet," of course...;)

The FCC is such a sharp cookie, in fact, that it is trying to apply a century-old law (Title II) meant for telcos way back then, laws which allowed the Federal government to grant AT&T a legal long-distance phone service monopoly in the US for decades--to the Internet, today. Wheeler is so sharp that he has announced that he is going to single-handedly change the Title II specifications to make them fit ISPs because at the moment they don't--for all of the obvious reasons. The only problem, of course, is that neither Wheeler nor the FCC has the authority to rewrite the Title II laws--only Congress has that authority. Just like the last time, the FCC will regrettably have to be shown that in court. They know it, though.

So what is really going on? You are observing a pristine example of "political grandstanding." Obama, Wheeler, and other Democrats know full well that Congress (since they lost it to the Republicans) will never pass a "Title III" specifically aimed at the ISPs who gave us the Internet as we know it (government had nothing to do with it--except laying off of taxing it for a while.) They also know they are going to have to explain in court why the FCC has already legally classified the Internet as an "Information service" and not a "Communications service" of the kind that might be regulated under the Title II provisions.

The real aim here is that ultimately the government wants to be able to tax and control the entire Internet--they also want to use it as a political football just like the Democrats are using it at the moment. There's not a single thing the FCC has mandated that will improve the lot of any Internet ISP customer in the US today...;) Not one...! You can't provide any anecdotes as to "how much better things are now than they were" on the Internet because no such situations exist...! It's all really funny. The national Democrats in the country think the voters are stupidos who require a ruling elite to "guide" them. It's all a sham, though, to disguise their naked, never-ending lust for more and more political power, imo. It's going to be very entertaining to see how all of this grandstanding and posturing plays out...;)

News Comments > NVIDIA Drivers for The Witcher 3
7. Re: NVIDIA Drivers for The Witcher 3 May 18, 2015, 10:57 WaltC

qsto wrote on May 18, 2015, 10:36:

Anyhow, I fail to understand how new set of drivers could have anything to do with "marketing", please enlighten me.

Glad to...;) nVidia has a long and glorious history (some would say inglorious) of hyping driver releases that essentially don't do much of anything differently than the last driver set. Many, many years ago, nVidia launched for the first time (not the last!) a set of drivers it explosively named "Detonators"...;) According to nVidia, these drivers provided "up to 50%" performance increases in some games. It got a lot of press at the time because no one could find the 50% anywhere--it being very difficult to find even 5% in most cases. That was around the the general time frame in which nVidia was also discovered to have optimized its drivers to substitute a camera on rails event in a popular 3dMark benchmark at the time (detecting that the bench was being run and then changing things), in which the whole idea of the benchmark was that the *benchmark* controlled the camera--not the IHV videocard driver (for obvious reasons)...;) nVidia took a while denying it all before they finally said "Uncle!" and copped to the whole thing. But anyway...you asked...;)

I rather doubt any of that applies here, though...;) Both IHVs use the event of a new game launch to hype a drivers' release--whether it really does much of anything differently is unknown, of course. It's just a way for both IHVs to get some free PR on the back of a big game launch--or even a little one, for that matter. This is supposedly a TWIMTBP nVidia-sponsored title, so nVidia should have refined its drivers to optimally run W3 code weeks if not months ago, already. But sometimes the game developer will change something at the last minute that requires something new from the 3d-card IHV. "Only your IHV knows for sure"...;)

News Comments > Project CARS Livery Pack Released; AMD Optimizations Coming
15. Re: Project CARS Livery Pack Released; AMD Optimizations Coming May 8, 2015, 12:34 WaltC

Any game developer whose game doesn't run decently on one of the two IHV's 3d gpus, and who is blaming the hardware IHV for that situation, is simply trying to cover up the fact that as the game developer he didn't use [in this case] AMD hardware when he was developing the game. Had they been doing so they'd have seen the problems and reached out to AMD to correct the situation *before* the game shipped. That's only what smart, high-quality developers do because it makes so much sense: as a game developer your goal is to sell as many copies of your game as you can, and that means that your game needs to run well on as wide a latitude of hardware as is possible. Blaming AMD or nVidia because of the work you didn't do as the developer, and trying to pass the buck to either of them is the mark of a sub-standard developer, imo.

It's the game developer's responsibility to ensure that his game runs well everywhere, and if it doesn't, it's the game developer's responsibility to reach out to the IHV concerned to find out why. That's just common sense.

In this case, it doesn't appear that the developers even used AMD hardware for testing during development, and that they think it's up to AMD to "reach out to them" as opposed to them reaching out to AMD before the game ships in order to get such problems solved before they start negatively cutting into your game sales. Not doing that is either lazy or stupid or both. Not pleasant, but there it is.

682 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo