Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 702 (Apprentice)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 14, 2015, 12:17 WaltC

It's not the OS...it's the Internet itself that's a never-ending string of security concerns...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 9, 2015, 15:07 WaltC

Nadella's simply doing what Microsoft's hundreds of millions (> a billion) of PC customers want--the PC is still far and away the favorite global computing device, hands down. That's because not only is the PC far more powerful than any other "device", it's also far more upgrade-friendly, software friendly, and its bang-for-the-buck blows cell phones out of the water. The primary purpose of cell phones is to make phone calls & the primary purpose of PCs is computing--(You think?) Microsoft lost track of things with Windows 8 but now the company is coming full circle back to where its bread is buttered. What's great about Nadella is that he's a genuine computer software guy--not a hyped-up salesman like Ballard, whose past successes came from simply being at the right place at the right time to enjoy the credit for other people's work--and so erring with Windows 8 was something a Nadella would not have done. Nadella understands why the PC is in no danger of ever fading away and that's a relief...;) (Not even Apple is using the phrase "post-PC" anymore, because that was garbage PR from day 1.)

I'm afraid its Ars that's headed for obscurity, most likely...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > New AMD Catalyst Drivers
4. Re: New AMD Catalyst Drivers Jul 8, 2015, 21:37 WaltC

Yep, it's a no-brainer...You're going to drop $650 on yesterday's tech, or tomorrow's? HBM is the future, and the potential of the Fury has yet to be tapped, imo. First really exciting tech advance in discrete 3d cards since R300 back in 2002.

News Comments > GOG.com's Windows 10 Support
26. Re: GOG.com's Windows 10 Support Jul 8, 2015, 17:17 WaltC

Right up through the latest build 10162, Win10x64 has been 100% compatible with my games (I have 40 on Steam & 58 on Gog and ~22 on Origin & some others--some of them are 25+ years old, etc.) They all run--and unlike with Win7/8 I haven't had to use DEP/exceptions on a single one...;) Gog should have no trouble at all...IMO, if you have a desktop this is by far the best OS Microsoft has ever put together...Laptop owners will be largely at the mercy of their laptop manufacturers for their drivers, but really most Win8/.1 drivers should work.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 6, 2015, 22:00 WaltC

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 18:15:
I couldn't give a shit about Reddit but Pao has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt she doesn't belong in an executive role. She's a middle-management beancounter at best.

Amen--lower middle management is where she should be, if you'd want her at all--in a place where she can do the least amount of damage by running amok--and you also ought to get your insurance upgraded in case she tries to bring a phony lawsuit against you. She's had time to learn what she did wrong in the last suit--Reddit may not have any money, though...;)

I wouldn't hire her. Who needs the aggravation? I want positive. "me, too, I can!" people--not someone who might turn purple upon hearing an off-color joke that had nothing to do with her in the first place! Keep an eye on Reddit, and watch what happens when companies get serious about all this "PC" crap (and I don't mean "personal computers.") No way can they be "PC" maniacs and make sound, rational decisions at the same time.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 21:48 WaltC

Right now, PCs sell, month in and month out, as many consoles as the xBone & PS4 have shipped combined since their launch. I would not be surprised at all to see PC sales go through the roof beginning in August and for the rest of the year, building momentum as we move towards the Christmas holidays. There is a lot of pent-up demand on the PC side of the market, and the number of people building their own boxes will certainly increase as well.

Still, I'm surprised to see that Microsoft has not yet rectified its xBone mistakes by introducing a new model that is 100% compatible with the old (which is very easy to do since the current xBone is an x86 computer internally, albeit a rather skimpy one), and a new xBone that exceeds the PS4 in GPU/CPU horsepower and ram bandwidth! That's what the people who buy consoles want, and that's exactly why Microsoft is so far behind Sony in unit sales! Microsoft seems simply not to "get it" with the xBone, and that leaves me scratching my head in wonder and bafflement...! How could the company not understand what its console customers want? No point in being in that market if you aren't listening to your customers.

But anyway...people are better off buying PCs than buying either console, no doubt about that, so maybe it's a positive thing that Microsoft missed the console boat. With Windows 10 Microsoft demonstrated that it is capable of listening to its customers--but maybe they are finally coming around with respect to gaming on the PC--D3d12 itself is a strong indicator.

News Comments > AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations
18. Re: AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations Jul 6, 2015, 21:28 WaltC

Quboid wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 17:42:
Oh dear, so much for this source of competition. It probably spurred Microsoft to (apparently) get a good performance increase from DX12 but I had hoped Mantle would be more influential than that.

Well, it lit a bonfire under Microsoft's tail, and that was Mantle's entire purpose...there is essentially no reason for AMD to continue with Mantle since Microsoft has picked up every feature & capability in Mantle and incorporated it into D3d12, along with several other capabilities not in Mantle at all.

AMD has no need to compete with Microsoft in 3d APIs--AMD would lose that battle, as would either Intel or nVidia (which is why neither of them has ever attempted it.) Not even with the overwhelming lead 3dfx held with GLIDE was it able to resist D3d in the end. Main reason Microsoft is best suited for the 3d API standard is first that it is important that the API standard for Windows not be proprietary and belong to an IHV, but that it serve everyone's needs; and second, that Microsoft is the preeminent software company in the world and nobody can really hope to compete (if they wanted to) with Microsoft in this kind of arena. D3d has been an excellent 3d API for Windows thus far, and AMD would be foolish indeed to try and "compete" with Microsoft.

Mantle was born with the express purpose of motivating Microsoft in the proper direction with D3d, and that is exactly what happened. No more need for Mantle--it has served its purpose.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered
31. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 6, 2015, 11:32 WaltC

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 10:32:

According to Forbes, the iphone accounts for nearly 70 percent of apple’s revenue. Their tablets, awesome gaming machines, mp3 players, app store and music sales are not even close.
Now on the computer side, apple's market share has crept up to about 13% (+/- 2%). An informal poll shows they outnumber pc's 3 to 1 at any Starbucks.

Forbes is often dead-wrong on technology matters, but that's no different from most non-tech, business-oriented magazines. Apple's Mac market share hovers perpetually around the ~5% mark globally. In the US estimates have it tagged as high as 10%--but that's in the US alone. Globally, Mac market share is in the same place it's been for the last couple of decades. I don't doubt the Starbucks numbers, however, as it's a fact that it would have to be mostly Mac customers who would spend $3 for a cup of java...;)

Basically, if you don't know anything about tech, and you don't want to know anything about tech, you buy an Apple product...;) So, at cocktail parties you can chime into to techie discussions and say, "I've goat a Mac," or "I've got an iPad," which is your price for admission to the immediate social grouping...;) In Apple-oriented groups, knowledge beyond that point is not required.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 6, 2015, 11:21 WaltC

iOS? Lol...;) The answer is "get yourself a computer" and join the grown-up world and you'll have all of the choice you could want in everything, browsers, software, hardware (unless you buy a Mac, but that's another story.) IMO, anyone who restricts his web browsing to a friggin' cell-phone deserves all the "Safari" he's gonna' get...;)
Ugh!

News Comments > Independent Tech Bits
9. Re: Independent Tech Bits Jul 4, 2015, 13:40 WaltC

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 01:16:
deqer wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 14:22:
What... you were hoping you could do this system forever? lol...

Get with the times, universities... You can self-teach yourself, using resources on the internet.

Yeah, but that won't get you a job that requires a degree.

If you want to start your own business or make something to sell then teaching yourself on the internet is great. If you want to go out to some corporation and get hired (with a job that has benefits) then you get to compete with everyone who got a degree - even if it came from some profit school.

A lot of HR departments now use automatic filtering and if your application doesn't have the right degree then it gets thrown in the can before a person even looks at it.

The whole system is seriously screwed up.

I'm still not sorry to see scummy profit colleges go away though.

All accredited colleges and universities make gross profits--they get money from tuition, book sales, donations, and the state & Federal governments. So-called "non-profit" colleges just bury the profits in expense reports...;) Salaries, for instance, come directly from gross profits; they're just called "expenses" and not technically "profits." A "non-profit" is a legal scam to avoid paying more taxes.

U of Phoenix is a joke, always has been. It's a mail-order diploma mill and the "degrees" it offers are worthless--which is why they're in trouble--you can only keep that going for so long and then the jig is up. Has nothing to do with "for profit", etc. Another legal scam tied to education.

As to "having the right degree," that's nothing new--job market has always been that way. For non-professionals, it's a scam, of course. Just another scam tied to education. Today things are much worse and I feel sorry for you guys--in my day 10% of high-school graduates when on to college. Today, it's something like ~80% or so, which makes a degree today about as meaningful as a high-school diploma used to be. Even PhD's are fairly routine--especially from places like the "U" of Phoenix...;) At the same time, they're graduating people from high-school who cannot *read*, for goodness' sake...;) Says something about the quality of education these days...

News Comments > Kotaku Sources: WBIE Knew of Batman: Arkham Knight Problems
22. Re: Kotaku Sources: WBIE Knew of Batman: Arkham Knight Problems Jul 1, 2015, 17:19 WaltC

With many games today shipping to millions of players with as many individual PC environments, it pretty much goes without saying that games have to be shipped and patches done later as the problems roll in. It would be impossible for a developer to anticipate and correct every problem and fix it before shipping--it would probably extend development time by several months and they'd still have to patch later.

But this game...from what I've seen this game had glaring problems that would have been noticeable on anyone's PC immediately, so there's no doubt whatever that they knew full well what they were shipping on the PC side of the house and just didn't care. Rather reckless, I have to say...Would have been far better to release the console versions and hold on to the PC version until they could get it right.

I think it's pretty bad when a game developer working on PS4 & xBone programs has to actually pay someone to "port" the game to the PC--because both of the new consoles are little more than pared-down x86 PCs...! Of course, the PS4 doesn't run Windows (xBone runs something very similar to Windows, though)...Even so, it all leads me to believe that the devs for this game weren't qualified, actually. For their sakes I hope the console version are better...

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Patched; Progress Report
6. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Patched; Progress Report Jun 28, 2015, 12:14 WaltC

In game development, the PC separates the men from the boys...;) (Or the women from the girls, or the mature It from the immature It, etc.) Console stuff is so much easier...the end product nowhere near as good. I don't think I'd ever buy a PC game from a developer who had to pay another developer to do a PC port of his console game because he couldn't do it! The funny thing is that it looks like in this case they just hired *another* company unable to properly program a game for the PC...Lol...;)

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 25, 2015, 20:26 WaltC

I guess that's fair, as after all, I banned anything that says "Apple" on it from my house long ago...;)

News Comments > Evening Interviews
14. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 24, 2015, 08:11 WaltC

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 19:44:
Spector's probably right. Just like no one is seriously talking about or supporting 3D Vision or surround gaming anymore, there is a high chance that VR is going to be a thing for a few months when the OR comes out and then will be quickly forgotten about (at least in gaming... fucking Facebook will probably try to use it for other shit).

He's right...When the people who champion VR (not the ones trying to sell it) think about it, they're thinking about something much different from the reality. The whole thing has been hyped so much that they're going to be disappointed on many fronts, I fear.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Specs Updated; AMD Issues Noted
27. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Specs Updated; AMD Issues Noted Jun 22, 2015, 22:18 WaltC

ViRGE wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 20:38:
Well the baseline is the XB1/PS4 now, not the last-gen consoles. So they've been able to bump up the asset quality and complexity significantly.

...and that "baseline" is 100% AMD in both consoles, no nVidia anywhere...;) The specs sound ridiculous...I wonder how much they were paid to dump on AMD hardware in such a public manner...? I hope it was enough to justify pissing off at least 50% of their presumed market for the game...Very poor conduct & even worse business sense.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2015, 11:54 WaltC

A quick interjection...people are constantly befuddled by the relationship between governments & taxes because they naively believe that government is efficient in spending tax dollars. Tax breaks are good because they give government less money to throw away...I mean, if I'm going to throw away my money I'd prefer that I be the one to do it as opposed to the government doing it with my money. Tax-breaks for all kinds of businesses are good because new businesses do what...?...hire people who then pay taxes on the money they earn, etc. Without tax breaks fewer businesses are formed or else fewer employees are hired and fewer taxes are collected by the governments to do whatever-is-noble-&-vote-getting-this-month with. Politicians get to posture and pretend it is their money, etc.

It's unfortunate that some people are really not up on the fact that government programs exist only because of the taxes collected from individuals and businesses not connected to the government--and also because of the money the taxpayers allow their governments to borrow against future tax revenues the non-government population is forced to pay.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 22, 2015, 11:38 WaltC

Anyone who hasn't bought a Windows OS in the last several years has minced spaghetti between his ears...;) There's no excuse for not having purchased either Win7 or Win8, imo--no one should have to worry about "Genuine" because everyone should be. Sadly, I know people who don't blink at spending $500 for a 3d card but who won't spend a dime on an OS, even though the OS is what gives their games and gaming hardware some value. Go figure...;) (Well, better them than me, I always say.)  

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2015, 11:30 WaltC

Gaming doesn't deserve Cliffy B. Poor gaming....;)

As to Gamasutra...the solution is a simple one...if games (some games) weren't so ridiculously overpriced to start with, there'd be no need for fire sales, and no need for people to wait for them.

No PC game should ever begin life at more than $39.99, imo. The only thing that's toxic are $60 price tags. No developer with half a brain in his head should ever be disappointed that his $59.95 game shot up in copies sold by 7000% when the price per copy hit $9.99, because he's making far more money than he ever would have made @ $59.99. $50-$60 game MSRPs are a hangover from the late 80's when games cost $50 because the market was 100x smaller than it is today. Smart developers today go for volume over price-per-copy every time...

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 14, 2015, 18:03 WaltC

Guru 3d did memory tests for Witcher 3 and could not get the game to use 2GBs of vRam even at 4k resolutions...;) Some games are far more optimized and use less vRam than others, obviously.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced
20. Re: Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced Jun 11, 2015, 20:44 WaltC

Well, you know the Oculus is already dead, now. This is just Windows 10 marketing, of course, and the xBone has nowhere near enough power to push an Oculus where it needs to go (for the ten or eleven people that may be foolish enough to buy one...;))

Windows 10 is the best platform for gaming, period--has nothing much to do with the xBone at all. Or the xBone controller. The xBone controller angle is weird-o; Microsoft didn't need to even mention that to give props to Windows 10--obviously "new Windows 10 graphics hardware" has nothing to do with the xBone which isn't new and drastically underpowered as well...;)

Gads, I wish Microsoft would cut out the Apple-level marketing ...it's insulting...;)

702 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo