Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 745 (Apprentice)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 7, 2015, 14:07 WaltC

Younger people think the stock market share price is some kind of "scientifically accurate" accounting of a given company's worth. It would be nice, but...no, it's not...;) Share prices change daily, hourly, & by the minute, and for every one who sells his shares someone else is buying them...and all of the money changes hands between the shareholders (not the company listed on the stock certificates, said company getting $0 from each sale.) The stock market is a lot like lemmings...one jumps off the cliff and dozens follow, then hundreds follow them, then thousands, millions, etc. It's a herd instinct mentality--stampeding in a panic is common--no rhyme or reason to it. Gossip & rumor rule. It's everything *except* "scientific." Caveat Emptor! Never invest more than you can afford to lose.  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Torment Next Year
19. Re: Torment Next Year Nov 2, 2015, 16:04 WaltC

I'm not surprised by this...BTIV I backed because I could get BTIV & the original three games remastered, also the original 3 BT games (which I already had--I played them when they were new) & Wl2 & Wl2 DC & Tides...that's what.. 10 games for $75..? Plus a bunch of other stuff that I can take or leave...

Only place to get deals like that which involve brand-new games is to get in on the Kickstarter. I knew that Tides would be pushed back--which honestly is fine with me as I've got so much on my plate right now between W3, WL2 DC, and some other games I'm running back through.

People constantly want perfection from the software game business, like it's a widget factory...;) Computer games are as much art and artistry as they are programming and "business," and they are very much like books & movies--they most often run over budget and get delayed. It goes with the territory. And of course a game is going to run over when stretch goals are attained--the original release schedules are estimates that assume only the base game will get funded. And, it doesn't matter how long a game takes to create, it's going to have some bugs initially. Best to let the developers take their time as opposed to ruining a game by releasing it early because of money-man pressure--which when you think about it is really stupid, isn't it?

If you can't stomach that then just stay away from KS projects as they'll just exacerbate your ulcers...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > AMD Driver Changes
4. Re: AMD Driver Changes Nov 2, 2015, 15:36 WaltC

Pigeon wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 14:32:
Well if more frequent drivers = better support then I'm all for it. As is problems seem to persist for longer periods on AMD cards, or touted features and OS support are unceremoniously dropped. The CCC UI isn't bad for the most part, but there has been a long existing issue with the aspect ratio controls that require fresh installs to work properly. It's a little annoying to have to use third party software to strip drivers in safe mode every time you update your drivers. Also Overdrive isn't terrible either, but it could stand to be a little more straight forward.

I've been with AMD GPUs since 2002 (R300) and I don't know what problems you allude to as I certainly haven't seen them...;) (I think most problems begin and end between the monitor and the chair, if you know what I mean.) I've never, ever had to use 3rd-party tools to install/uninstall Catalysts, and I never install/uninstall in safe mode--I tried DDE a couple of times and both times found it to be destructive--so I stopped using it. I suspect the real problem if people have one is the 3rd-party tool. Just don't need it.

What touted features & OS are you referring to that have been promised but not delivered? Aspect ratio problems only concern older games with 4:3 aspects, and then the problem is getting them to stretch the aspect to fill the screen sometimes--but I never have difficulty getting 4:3 to display in 4:3. I don't know how overdrive could be any more straight forward, frankly...;) (There I believe I've ticked off everything on your list.)

I'm just grateful I didn't buy a nVidia Maxwell GPU on the strength of what nVidia said about it being 100% D3d12-compliant in hardware, now that we've discovered it doesn't even support Async Compute! But that's something nVIdia has done before--said that a feature it doesn't support is "turned off" when the truth is it doesn't exist. I've never forgotten TNT/2 & 8-bit palletized texture support--after the card was replaced in nVidia's lineup they said, "Oh, golly, we're sorry. We just couldn't figure out how to turn it on!" Yep, nVidia really inspires confidence [not.]...;) (There are many more major foibles perpetrated by nVidia over the years I could add if I had the desire.) Remember nVIdia's "Detonator" drivers and nVidia's ridiculous claims about them? Pshaw-w-w-w-w-w-w--Don't get me started...;)

But, I hope these drivers will bring more than just the overclock settings into the per-game profiles--I'd love to see resolution and gamma in there, too.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
14. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 29, 2015, 16:07 WaltC

Amazing to see this lunacy is still going on...;) I can't imagine anyone "threatening" someone over an event in which no attendance was slated in the first place. More like, they found no one was interested in attending and so they cancelled and made up the "threat" publicity to disguise the failure of their [bowel] movement (pardon the pun!)...;)

So much lying on the Internet these days...very sad to see.

News Comments > Another Steam User Record
27. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 16:52 WaltC

I've used Steam ~12 times this year...definitely a record!  

News Comments > etc.
20. Re: etc. Oct 22, 2015, 13:53 WaltC

Another liberal-minded moron elected to public office who undoubtedly believes misogyny is a more important issue than unemployment or taxes...;) I fear for North America, for its dumbing down has not only commenced but is in full flower, apparently. Snake-oil salesmen providing phony cures seem in high demand these days. Even so, Canada has a much smarter illegal immigration policy than the (even dumber) US, I'm sad to say.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 22, 2015, 13:42 WaltC

Clinton can't even operate a simple office fax machine and thinks "wiping a server" means cleaning it with a cloth. The only thing she knows about "net neutrality" is that it's a political hot button for some people, and she'd say anything to get elected. Her Clinton Foundation, supposedly for charity, keeps 85% of the billions of $ it rakes in from foreign governments seeking to buy influence from the Clintons. She had her 2:00am wake-up call in the middle of the night and failed to protect her Ambassador in Benghazi. Everything about "Billary" is as phony as a $3-dollar bill, and I wonder who has been bought off to keep her from having been arrested so far. I'd rather see her finish her campaign from jail, frankly. I'm sick & tired of the Clintons and their lawyer-speak, and can you imagine Bill as First Lady..? (Although it would be pretty funny to watch...;))

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 19, 2015, 15:51 WaltC

I did Amiga--lived & breathed it--for eight years and owned at least one of every model made except the A1000--but seriously, this is a tad ridiculous. Amiga emulation (WinUAE 3.1) is excellent and the current x86 PC hardware is far better than it ever was for the Amiga. Best part of the Amiga was the OS (Workbench), imo--and that because it preemptively multitasked so well when absolutely nobody else did that at all. But Workbench is strictly lightweight compared to even Windows10x64 these days, so I wish people would let the Amiga RIP. The original plastic case is likely to outlive the old, original electronics, imo. I can see keeping the software around and I have a lot of it...it's classic, instructional & historical. But there's just no reason to keep that old hardware going.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 19, 2015, 15:41 WaltC

Trying to figure out why this is remotely interesting...:)  

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Update
69. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 15:35 WaltC

yuastnav wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 12:43:
... I've dreamt of what Chris is trying to do since I was a kid but while growing up I realised that this is just not possible, at least not now.

I've dreamed for 25 years of an RPG with incredible depth and attention to detail, complete realism, and a fantastic and fascinating storyline, done with movie-like production values in its graphics & sound presentation--and was about to give it up as a forlorn hope---and then came Witcher 3. CDPR has just raised the RPG bar--the game-development bar--by a huge amount.

Just because someone hasn't done it there's no reason it cannot be done. Amazing feats require will and dedication, and saying "it hasn't been done because it can't be done," is the surest way to fail before you get started. Lots of companies fail for lack of a vision--they quit, just give up and disappear. The developers that don't are the ones we all know and the ones we remember--the ones that succeed. So many people think they know "what it takes" to make a game, but usually, they don't. Every game is different, every team is different, etc. Should the game finish up in the next couple of years and people like it, no one will remember how long it took to make it.

Heck, I thought Valve was done for because I hadn't heard from them for several years and out of the blue up pops HL2. Then Valve goes on to found Steam. All things are possible, pretty much.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 15, 2015, 23:10 WaltC

Win10 is very nice...if you are still using Win7/8.1, however, I'd recommend waiting to upgrade until the next major release of Win10 for everyone, coming in about a month or so--reason being that it will allow users to activate Win10 using their Win7/8.1 product keys, which is really nice and long overdue. I'm in the Insiders using build 10565 and as of this build just released to us the Win7/8/8.1 product keys are all you need to activate...! Much better than all of that "reinstall your upgrade OS and then upgrade to 10" garbage...;)

There's tons more "spyware" in Android than there is in Win10, btw. Microsoft "spying" on people is just more nonsense from the Snowden School of Stupidity...but people love their little conspiracies, don't they?...;) (Sometimes lately reading the headlines I feel as though I've traveled back in time to a medieval world drenched in superstition where people saw wood sprites and faeries everywhere. Only difference today is that "spirits" are electronic in nature--the fear and superstition part hasn't changed at all--just human nature, I guess.)

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 15, 2015, 08:35 WaltC

As usual, another article gets it wrong--there's no "flaw" in Win10 at all, it's only in IE (which I don't use at all.)

I think that people who honestly believe Win10 is "spying on them" are in desperate need of psychological care (to be nice about it.)

News Comments > Into the Black
17. Re: Into the Black Oct 13, 2015, 09:24 WaltC

Verno wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 09:10:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 20:40:
[url=http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/trip-mars-could-give-you-brain-damage-180955157/?no-ist[/url]

good luck with all that, NASA trying to remain relevant while their funds are diverted to blowing up brown people in a far off desert.

You're assuming Donald Trump will win

If a Democrat should win *shudder* then we'll be blowing up "brown people" here eventually, no doubt about it...;)

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VII Collector's Edition Refunds
15. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VII Collector's Edition Refunds Oct 12, 2015, 17:13 WaltC

Such a simple solution...simply provide the game in a format suitable for saving the installation files to disk(s)...and let your customers provide the disk(s) for themselves...I see nothing wrong with that. UbiSoft has kind of screwed themselves with Uplay, imo.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed
60. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 11, 2015, 20:59 WaltC

I bailed at the bizarre "referral program" segment...bizarre because the guy who spoke about it mispronounced "referral" all the way through...calling it REF'-r-ul (instead of reFER'al)...;) I don't think I've ever heard the word butchered like that...! Surely someone should have brought this to his attention--production values oversight needed.

Other than that, it looks to be a very nice game that's shaping up!

News Comments > The Witcher III Patched
21. Re: The Witcher III Patched Oct 10, 2015, 10:24 WaltC

Steam patch was 6.4GBs. Weird, because CDPR provides the patch to Steam, so I wonder why the GOG version was 17GBs? But I also heard that console patches were much larger, too.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 20:16 WaltC

Fantaz wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 19:57:
damn... i am worried about my job now :S

tho my performance at AMD has been pretty good lately since Win10/Fury launch, so i shouldn't need to worry? also we didn't get any e-mail about this layoffs yet internally?

Good luck to you...according to what I read nobody in engineering is being laid off--yes if Microsoft can take a ~7B charge and layoff thousands, I doubt this is a death knell for AMD. One quarter Intel laid off 10,000 people. Last quarter saw AMD take back ~18% market share from nVidia, so the actual current number is nv ~60%, AMD gpus ~40%--Tweaktown is dead wrong again. nVidia spiked when it released Maxwell--AMD spiked when its new Furies & R's were released--it's always like this--see-saw when new products are released. And of course, this is quarterly GPU marketshare and only deals with the percentages of GPUs sold in the quarter--not the total number of installed GPUs, which is an altogether different number. But accuracy is the last thing AMD doomsayers are interested in...;)

News Comments > New AMD Catalyst Beta
3. Re: New AMD Catalyst Beta Oct 2, 2015, 13:31 WaltC

Pr()ZaC wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 11:31:
Drayth wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 10:35:
I was reading that there was a serious memory leak issue when resizing windows on the desktop, these probably have the fix.

Interesting rumor.
Bingo.

That is correct--it's completely fixed in 15.9.1. No one should use 15.9.

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
100. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 2, 2015, 10:15 WaltC

IMO, "Smart" (if not a fake name it's certainly ironic) is completely whacko and eaten up with jealousy. When he used to write voluminously on his earlier "games" he came off as delusional.

"I don't think he's sinister, or a bad person. He's Donald Trump. He thinks that if he wants to do something, he can. Because he's Chris Roberts."

Whomever wrote that is also eaten up with jealousy. Egos get big in the business, and jealousy is eternal. The fact is that this game is the game Smart wishes he could make--the game Smart thinks he is destined to make--alone, among all the other human primates. But if he can't do it, and he can't, he's determined that no one else will do it, either. Thus his idiotic, moronic crusade against this game.

Star Citizen is not the kind of game I like. Truth is, I hated Wing Commander when it came out and thought it was a horrible game--felt as though I'd wasted my money. Quality of the graphics and video was horrible--a product chained to the technology of the day. But I have no problem with people funding whatever games they want to fund. Roberts has a huge job ahead and what he will end up with I can't say. The only thing I know for sure is that in a million years "Smart" couldn't do it. I think that from here on out Roberts should completely ignore these people by just saying he won't dignify their stupidity with a response because he has a game to finish--very much unlike "Smart"!

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Gets $2M in Funding
10. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Gets $2M in Funding Sep 30, 2015, 18:28 WaltC

Original Sin EE is just around the corner...!...;) I shall have to start a new game, of course...! (What a great year for RPGs 2015 has been...!)

745 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo