Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 804 (Graduate)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Neo won't shorten PS4 lifecycle Jun 22, 2016, 19:06 WaltC

Creston wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 13:04:
Uh-huh. At least not until Neo achieves a significant market volume. At that point, bye PS4.

Which really doesn't matter at all...;) It's like when you buy a new GPU and you say goodbye to the old one...ho-humm, technology marches on, etc....I don't know why people make a big deal over this. The days of consoles advancing with the speed of glaciers are thankfully over--and now that consoles are actually AMD x86 PCs inside, advances will come almost as fast as they do for the x86 PC hardware market--which is to say, "Lightning fast"...;) All the more reason to just buy a PC to start with, eh? There are surely no consoles in my future (or past, for that matter.) Buyt for people who prefer consoles for their simplicity, there's never been a better time to buy a Neo or a Scorpio console...:D It is also good to see the hardware makers lighting fires under the butts of the lazy console game developers among us...!

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2016, 09:55 WaltC

nin wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 09:43:
That squirrel video had me laughing my ass off. Crazy how fast they move, even sideways...

edit: Also, if I'm reading this right, Anton's car was a 2015, which was recalled...

From what I read...doesn't apply, though, as the Jeep was found in *neutral* and running. His driveway was a steep incline, and apparently he jumped out, left it in neutral and walked behind it for some reason--and it rolled backwards into him and pinned him against a wall. Very bad form to exit any vehicle without first putting the transmission into park, imo. On an incline, you also engage the parking brake. How tragic. Thought he made a great Chekov.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > It came from E3 2016, Part 3
1. Re: It came from E3 2016, Part 3 Jun 18, 2016, 12:18 WaltC

Yep, 4k-5k gaming is the near future for PC gaming. VR is destined for the same tiny niche that stereoscopic 3d gaming now fills, imo, if even to that degree.

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Microsoft on Returning to Steam
1. Re: Quoteworthy: Microsoft on Returning to Steam Jun 18, 2016, 12:13 WaltC

Microsoft is usually one step forward, two back, when it comes to gaming...;) So we shall see. Unless they can also talk about GOG in the same breath as Steam it'll be hard to really credit much of what they say. Microsoft seems to have some kind of congenital birth defect when it comes to understanding PC gaming, though! I shall believe it when I see it. They perpetually miss the mark with a schizophrenic attitude from which they exhibit a 100% love-hate relationship with Windows gaming. They love it because it's the real "killer App" for Windows distribution globally--but they hate it because it forces them to compete with the xBone--something they've never liked doing. Although most people can easily separate "computer gaming" from owning a game console--and readily appreciate the difference--Microsoft seems unable to do the same.  

News Comments > The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch
18. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 30, 2016, 21:32 WaltC

LiTh wrote on May 30, 2016, 18:52:
AMD already stated that they wont be competing at the high end of the GPU spectrum on their last quarter earnings report. So telling someone to not buy a 1080 because of what AMD might come out with is just ridiculous. Now if someone was going to buy a 1060 then there might be some merit to it. Here's the link

That depends on whether getting R9 390/x performance, plus the best d3d12 hardware available, for the price of a current 380/x appeals to you...;) That kind of performance for $200-$250 I find extremely persuasive, myself. I would be very interested in that no matter what either company puts out at the ridiculous $500-$600 price range--which doesn't appeal to me at all.

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2016, 12:16 WaltC

I remember years ago you asked for opinions about contacts...especially extended wear versions. At the time I had just started using extended wear--pop 'em in for 30 days--then just throw 'em away and pop in a new pair, etc. I was pretty excited at the convenience of those over daily wear--plus the hygiene advantages since you don't have to handle them every day, etc. I wrote a long-winded piece to you about it, IIRC.

Today, if I was that age again, I think I'd probably just opt for the lasik-type of treatment, though. Complications from contacts in rare cases can be as bad (or worse) than complications from the laser surgery, imo--even more rare. They've come a long way with the surgery--if you pick a reputable doctor near you you'll be very happy, I think.

I'm nearsighted, myself--but find I don't need correction @ 1-2 feet from a nice big monitor...;) Interesting remarks about VR--it's maybe that the VR lenses are *too close* to the eye for even near-sightedness to correct and so you need correction there, too.

I can see you are still grappling with the issues--yep, we get *one* pair of eyes, eh?...;) No sense rushing...!

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 22, 2016, 20:45 WaltC

I'd love to know how pre-orders "sell out"...;) Perhaps they meant that people stopped pre-ordering them just a few minutes after they went on sale?...;) Marketing BS is always good for a laugh...  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 21, 2016, 10:28 WaltC

What a dumb article...;) Here's betting that 95% of the "complaints" were on the order of: "I pay my ISP for x-speed, but when I go to y-website I only get 1/10th the speed I pay for!" Many people think that's what "net neutrality" rules are supposed to do and it actually has nothing to do with it. Internet servers are capped or not capped by the owners of those servers--has nothing to do with our ISPs. Our ISPs merely supply the pipes that connect--they do not own the servers we connect to in most cases.

Government regulation of the Internet is to be fiercely resisted by all of us--unless you want to see your freedoms of Internet speech "regulated" by the government--that is the real aim of all of this regulation garbage, imo. The *only* thing I'd like to see them regulate is the baseline speed for broadband--which ought to be not an erg less than 25Mb/ps down & up, imo. That would be/should be the slowest speed allowed--I could stand behind that without a problem.

News Comments > Free Forge - Halo 5: Guardians Edition for Windows 10 Announced
3. Re: Free Forge - Halo 5: Guardians Edition for Windows 10 Announced May 20, 2016, 10:48 WaltC

Actually, this appears to be the "Forge" editor--not the game itself. None of this makes much sense, actually...;) "Build on Win10, publish to xBox 1"...ugh.  

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced
26. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced May 7, 2016, 17:17 WaltC

Biggest drag on software development these days are the consoles...It would be so much better if developers would write to the PC and then port down to the consoles--much easier to port down than up, as we've all seen.

I hope nVidia can finally get Async Compute sorted out and properly supported this product cycle--because that's another thing that slows down software development--though to a much lesser extent than the consoles--and that's when one GPU manufacturer is much quicker at supporting API features than the other, for whatever the reason. If nVidia has the support down this time then about the time these things ship nVidia will announce: "Aw, gee, we just never could manage to turn on Async Compute in the Maxwell generation, we're so sorry--you'll have to buy Pascal to get that feature and more!" And then maybe nVidia will stop advertising Maxwell as 12_1 compliant when it isn't. Wouldn't that be nice?

The smartest move any of us could make is to wait a year or more for the new gen to become the old gen and buy the hardware then--for a song and a dance. But sometimes the allure of new hardware becomes irresistible...;)

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews May 1, 2016, 14:06 WaltC

A three hour game is a demo, imo, not a game. Sad it is, how console gaming has degraded gaming in general.  

News Comments > New AMD Drivers
2. Re: New AMD Drivers Apr 26, 2016, 15:09 WaltC

Rigs wrote on Apr 26, 2016, 14:24:
The check for software updates feature in Radeon Settings may not find the latest available update.

Finally! It seems a minor thing but I could never get it to update through the app, I always had to download manually...

=-Rigs-=

Know what you mean...;) But I would rather do it manually because I've seen many foul ups with so-called "automatic" upgrade systems on numerous devices...not just GPUs.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 16, 2016, 10:09 WaltC

If it was up to the Democrats, there wouldn't *be* an Internet like we have it now--and you sure as Hades wouldn't be able to freely criticize the government on it....;) Instead, if the Democrats had their way, the only sites "permitted" would be the ones that follow the Guffington Post's idiot propaganda format. They hate Drudge/BB/Limbaugh with a passion (they hate the truth) and they'd take away your right to criticize your government without fear of reprisal in a skinny minute. The only thing the Democrats want to do with the Constitution is shred it--it's an Inconvenient Truth where many Democrats are concerned.  

News Comments > Quantum Break PC Issues
26. Re: Quantum Break PC Issues Apr 8, 2016, 16:08 WaltC

Man, that's one ugly, ugly game. At least from these featured videos it is. There would be nothing wrong at all with UWP provided Microsoft would enhance the PC functionality to equal what is possible outside of UWP. Trying to limit all devices to the very low common denominator of the xBone--or a cell phone(!)--results in--well, games like QB so far--ugly looking and ugly playing. And what's with giving the guy an eye patch when the game is played absent an Internet connection? Good grief that's stupid--I guess nothing was learned after all from their disastrous xBone reveal.

Microsoft seems to constantly take one step forward and then two steps back when it comes to gaming--the company just never seems to get it, which I find absolutely amazing. It's hard to expect much from a company that blows $2B on Minecraft--which had already maximized its IP profit potential for the previous owner.

Everyone knows that Maxwell is not a d3d12 12_1 GPU by now--at least I hope they do. But that explains the nVidia driver problems completely, imo. Some d3d12 features can be "worked around" in an inferior fashion with d3d11 GPU hardware--some cannot be worked around at all but require new hardware that is d3d12 compliant. nVidia's Maxwell is simply going to crash when it meets code requiring hardware Maxwell simply doesn't have.

Shortly after nVidia launches Pascal, I predict they'll announce that unfortunately they just couldn't get d3d12 running on Maxwell as they'd hoped (poor things) and that if you want d3d12-compliant hardware you will have to buy a new nVidia GPU to get it. Surprise, nVidia does it yet again!

News Comments > Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Siege of Dragonspear Controversy
47. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Siege of Dragonspear Controversy Apr 5, 2016, 17:52 WaltC

Any game that has to rely on the injection of *cough* "social issues" for publicity purposes is probably not a game I'd be interested in--quite apart from the technical problems with Beamdog's "enhanced" resale of these games, anyway. (Such problems to my mind are themselves deal breakers.)

These games are high fantasy (or as in the case of sad people who try to use them as soapboxes to preach from, "low fantasy") and as such have no need or requirement to remind us of everyday life. Any game would be pretty much destroyed by this kind of idiotic "social justice" dialogue. Perhaps this was done to increase publicity and therefore hopefully to increase sales for another unfortunate resale of this overused material (once again disguised as something new.) But I suspect the effect will be the reverse and that people will hold their noses and avoid it like the plague. IMO, trying to brainwash people and spread propaganda through the medium of computer games is even worse than trying to use sports as a venue through which to peddle such garbage (ESPN, etc.)

Apparently there is nothing that the holier-than-thou social justice advocates won't hesitate to suborn and corrupt in their never-ending quest to have the real world accept values and beliefs of a kind that most people will never accept as valid. And so, the social-justice maniacs believe, people must be *forced* to accept such values whether they like it or not. It's the intolerance of the social-justice crusaders that will do them and their causes in, in the end, even more than the beliefs and values they unashamedly insist everyone on earth must share--only to ease their own consciences, apparently...;)

News Comments > Oculus Rift Privacy Concerns
7. Re: Oculus Rift Privacy Concerns Apr 3, 2016, 11:11 WaltC

I guess people would rather see adds for dog food, bras, and tampons than to see ads for the kinds of products and services they personally prefer and buy. Makes sense [not]...;) But, I don't do FB, anyway, although the wife uses it to keep up with relatives and people from other planets.

Have to say, though, that if the OR is "always on" and requires an Internet connection to operate that I wouldn't be interested on that basis alone--besides all of the other reasons to shun it I can think of.

News Comments > Valve Loses AU Legal Dispute
19. Re: Valve Loses AU Legal Dispute Mar 29, 2016, 15:23 WaltC

If allowed to stand this may kill legal the software download market in Australia, because there are no companies that can afford paying out a $1.1m fine for refusing to make a $5 refund. Likely to hurt Australian consumers more than it helps them--which is generally what these laws do, anyway--the consumer bites the bullet in the end. I guess Valve will have to settle for a 75% restocking fee, etc.

GOG provides a 30-day refund period. But GOG will also refuse refunds after that date. Wonder if GOG does business down-under, and what sort of refund policy Australian law mandates in terms of time after purchase, etc.? The Aussie government may "win" but the Aussie consumer will likely lose. It's the same everywhere. I wonder if the Aussie government will have to refund any sales taxes it may collect on refunded sales?

News Comments > Two Worlds II DLC and Two Worlds III Announced
2. Re: Two Worlds II DLC and Two Worlds III Announced Mar 25, 2016, 22:31 WaltC

Love their games--can't wait--I am so glad to hear this!  

News Comments > Steam Running on Android
1. Re: Steam Running on Android Mar 22, 2016, 11:16 WaltC

Yes, playing your steam games that require GPU and CPU horsepower far outstripping any hardware that Android supports sure makes sense...[not]...;)  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2016, 20:13 WaltC

Everyone knows that Superman would barbecue Batman 100x over--it's no contest...;) I've never understood that story. The only way it could be close is if the movie illegitimately weakens Superman to Batman's level. Batman is no contest, but then the comics never played them off against each other in the first place.  

804 Comments. 41 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo