Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 789 (Graduate)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Oculus Rift Privacy Concerns
7. Re: Oculus Rift Privacy Concerns Apr 3, 2016, 11:11 WaltC

I guess people would rather see adds for dog food, bras, and tampons than to see ads for the kinds of products and services they personally prefer and buy. Makes sense [not]...;) But, I don't do FB, anyway, although the wife uses it to keep up with relatives and people from other planets.

Have to say, though, that if the OR is "always on" and requires an Internet connection to operate that I wouldn't be interested on that basis alone--besides all of the other reasons to shun it I can think of.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve Loses AU Legal Dispute
19. Re: Valve Loses AU Legal Dispute Mar 29, 2016, 15:23 WaltC

If allowed to stand this may kill legal the software download market in Australia, because there are no companies that can afford paying out a $1.1m fine for refusing to make a $5 refund. Likely to hurt Australian consumers more than it helps them--which is generally what these laws do, anyway--the consumer bites the bullet in the end. I guess Valve will have to settle for a 75% restocking fee, etc.

GOG provides a 30-day refund period. But GOG will also refuse refunds after that date. Wonder if GOG does business down-under, and what sort of refund policy Australian law mandates in terms of time after purchase, etc.? The Aussie government may "win" but the Aussie consumer will likely lose. It's the same everywhere. I wonder if the Aussie government will have to refund any sales taxes it may collect on refunded sales?

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Two Worlds II DLC and Two Worlds III Announced
2. Re: Two Worlds II DLC and Two Worlds III Announced Mar 25, 2016, 22:31 WaltC

Love their games--can't wait--I am so glad to hear this!  

News Comments > Steam Running on Android
1. Re: Steam Running on Android Mar 22, 2016, 11:16 WaltC

Yes, playing your steam games that require GPU and CPU horsepower far outstripping any hardware that Android supports sure makes sense...[not]...;)  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2016, 20:13 WaltC

Everyone knows that Superman would barbecue Batman 100x over--it's no contest...;) I've never understood that story. The only way it could be close is if the movie illegitimately weakens Superman to Batman's level. Batman is no contest, but then the comics never played them off against each other in the first place.  

News Comments > HITMAN Released
1. Re: HITMAN Released Mar 11, 2016, 14:23 WaltC

Probably just a mental block of mine, but I've never been able to cast myself in the role of a "hitman" and derive satisfaction from it...;) The games themselves look well done, but I just can't get into them.  

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2016, 21:39 WaltC

I think that what needs fixing is a "brain" at Ars... Yea, the PC has such a "bad" reputation that 95% of planet earth continues to use them--consistently choosing them over every other platform. What an unmitigated load of BS. Ars Technica is run by Apple shills who know very little about a lot, they seem to enjoy reminding us regularly...;)

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 2, 2016, 20:33 WaltC

People are buying fewer drives because individual drives are so much bigger, now...;) Multi-terabyte...etc.  

News Comments > HTC Vive Preorders This Morning
8. Re: HTC Vive Preorders This Morning Feb 29, 2016, 11:02 WaltC

NKD wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 10:34:
Not really seeing much for me in the Vive. I'm not interested in standing up and walking 3 inches around the cluttered glorified closet my computer sits in so that advantage is kind of void. I'm also not really interested in using some weird controllers for gimmicky games. I just want the head tracking and immersion.

Your neck will quickly tire of head tracking, I'll predict...which will destroy the immersion--such as it will be. It will be interesting to discover what the actual time of use will be before the urge to rip off the diving mask becomes overwhelming...;) thirty minutes? An hour?

News Comments > On DOOM's Campaign Length
4. Re: On DOOM's Campaign Length Feb 14, 2016, 13:36 WaltC

Thanks, but no. I'll pass. I found the originals dreadfully boring when they were new. Like a shooting gallery at the county fair...;)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2016, 14:05 WaltC

Anything is possible as space is so big it's beyond description. We're all so jaded from watching sci-fi films that we think of the solar-system as a lot smaller and a lot better-known than it actually is. Much like the still-unexplored ocean depths, I guess.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 18, 2016, 14:45 WaltC

No possibility of that 200M figure being right...more like 1 million, if they are very, very lucky (pardon the pun.)  

News Comments > MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux)
19. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 16, 2016, 14:26 WaltC

Been on Win10x64 since October 2014, and since the official release in July I have had 0 major problems--I've got ~185 games installed going back 30 years in age to as new as Witcher 3--and every single on of them runs perfectly. My R9 380 4GB card runs them all with the latest drivers (WDDM2.0.) After Win7 I moved to Win8 for a couple of years before Win10x64...I prefer Win10x64 to any Microsoft OS I've ever used--and I've used them all. Of course, I have a desktop and all my components are hand-picked and made by companies with great track records in driver support--which probably makes a difference, I'd imagine. Also, I'm running the latest build of v1511, build 11099. Running great, no problems.

Nobody has any right to complain about progress, seems to me, since you certainly should have bought either Win7 or Win8 by this late date and you still have ~7 months to upgrade to Win10 for free...it's a no brainer.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 12, 2016, 20:48 WaltC

Musk is getting dry rot on the brain, I think. Lately, his "predictions" keep getting more and more bizarre.  

News Comments > AMD Crimson Drivers Hotfix
5. Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Hotfix Jan 12, 2016, 13:15 WaltC

Pre HD7000 cards don't physically support any of d3d12, hence their Legacy status. Nothing arbitrary about it. Doesn't mean you can't continue to use an earlier GPU, though--but of course it won't support any of the newer features because it can't. People complain because they can't run the latest drivers with the latest feature support on their old cards--which I think is silly. You can buy an R9 380 4GB card for ~$200 with exactly the same level of d3d12 hardware support as the $500 FuryX. (An R9 380 4G that runs rings around my old HD5770, too.) Part of the fun is buying new hardware when it hits the right price point, I've always thought. Otherwise, what's the point in gaming?  

News Comments > Oculus Rift $599
31. Re: Oculus Rift $599 Jan 6, 2016, 14:19 WaltC

People would be idiots--truly--to pre-order these things. They will *not* meet expectations--not even close. Use the money and buy a new GPU or a 2k or 4k monitor, instead. You'll thank me and anyone else who gives you sound advice.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2016, 14:56 WaltC

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 10:19:
Expensive marketing gimmick on the 18 core Xeon. No game in the world would use that many cores, even the 8 core version is overkill.

Better to spend on graphics cards than waste money on that cpu.

That's just half of it...;) The "all-in-one" design kills it dead. How silly!

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 4, 2016, 09:52 WaltC

Actually, Win7 is still more advantageous to Microsoft's bottom line than Windows 10, since 7 still costs $.

(BTW, you can still view the site with your ad-blocker on--just hit "continue"...)

Forbes as usual has no clue. I don't understand why a tech-site would even quote Forbes on technical matters.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2016, 09:58.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
20. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 27, 2015, 21:45 WaltC

Of course, this article is pure Fudzilla click bait...;)

Aside from that, desktop PCs are far and away still the best computer technology buys going--for consumers, that is. (Companies, of course, prefer to sell tablets and laptops because the profits are much higher--customers pay through the nose.) They are fully upgradable from a hardware standpoint, from the motherboard up. As such they are fully serviceable by the end user if a component needs replacing--just pop out the old and pop in the new. Try that with a laptop or a tablet...uh-oh, pull out your wallet and get ready for some fierce billing. From the standpoint of the hardware itself you cannot beat a desktop PC--especially one you build yourself from hand-picked components--which is why the desktop PC format has got legs like nothing else in the industry. Their consumer friendliness can't be matched, let alone beaten by tablets or laptops.

Wired broadband Internet is incredibly inexpensive, more reliable and more powerful than any wireless Internet connect to date (which smartphones must use)--and the usual data caps for wired, if they exist at all, are close to 100x larger (~300GB) than they are for cell phones (~5GB). My current account has no data cap. Try that with a cell phone...;)

News Comments > Steam Issues Fixed
16. Re: Steam Issues Fixed Dec 26, 2015, 17:02 WaltC

Cl1mh4224rd wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 15:02:

Valve, who popularized digital distribution and is still an incredible powerhouse in that area, make an admittedly worrisome error and suddenly they're the most incompetent company to have been given a business license. All of a sudden, it's just inconceivable to some people how they could have possibly succeeded to such a degree, going so far as to imply they they are utterly incapable of succeeding on a scale that they've already achieved.

Insanity.

You don't get to where Valve is today without an impressive degree of competence. But, as reality repeatedly points out, no level of competence is immune to error.

I agree with you, of course...but on a very minor, nit-picking note, the term "digital distribution" is one I find annoying because all computer files are "digital"--whether they come via an online download or on a DVD is irrelevant--they are the same files and they are all digital. I prefer the term "online distribution"--which is a superior term, imo, because it is far more accurate & "online" actually has fewer syllable than "digital," too...;) (Therefore easier for the unwashed to remember, lol...)

789 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo