Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 768 (Graduate)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Single-player Support Ends
18. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Single-player Support Ends Aug 20, 2017, 17:29 WaltC

Sempai wrote on Aug 20, 2017, 15:19:
It's telling that EA's decision to pull out of Mass Effect Andromeda less than 6 months post release, and yet Hello Games continues to support No Man's Sky..

Unfortunately, from the forums, it seems like NMS "support" has doubled the number of bugs with the latest patch--couldn't buy that one, either. I'm thinking support for that one will end soon as well--they'd be constantly chasing their tails by releasing substantial game patches that keep adding bugs as well as content--that won't work out for them, I'm afraid.

Nobody, but nobody comes close to CDPR in game support--it's not even close, CDProjekt is so far ahead. As is well known, they support their games years into the future, and as a result those games continue to bring in nice revenue streams years after they originally ship. EA, and other companies--simply haven't the imagination to figure out how to do that. At EA, "serve the customer" is out--"fleece the customer" is in. You can easily discern the companies that are staffed with actual people who play games on their own computers (that they put together themselves) and companies like EA who look for nothing but the quick $.

EA systematically ruined the Dragon's Age franchise by managing to destroy everything about it that made the Origins game a lot of fun, and Inquisition, supposedly on a par with Witcher 3 prior to shipping, looked like a child's coloring book compared to the Mona Lisa, considering the highly professional job CDPR did with Witcher 3.

I didn't purchase Andromeda or Inquisition--glad I didn't! The Demo for DA:I was horrible--but I did conclude it was indeed representative of the game. Just couldn't bring myself to waste the money. I'd much rather buy 20-30 year-old games at GOG for ~$2.49 than EA stuff today.

Six month's support is *horrifically* bad. I shall remember this for the future, no question about it.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 16, 2017, 19:55 WaltC

(Hot day today--need to let off some steam!)

Yep, (D)s these days have *nothing but "shame" to try and win support for their loony, anti-logic regs they'd like to impose on Planet Earth. "Shame" and name-calling. Where would a (D) be these days without packs of idiot superlatives to throw at people who don't agree with them? They have no facts, no arguments, no logic and rationale with which to present their views--so we get "shame", instead. What a pack of neanderthals! Ugh! I've been without net neutrality rules since 1995 when I dropped AOL and went to "raw, uncut" Internet--and I've never had a single site that I've wanted to visit denied me--ever. People who argue that the ISPs might find it in their interests to restrict access to certain sites are *idiots*...;)

Most of these people think that the ISPs are simply chomping at the bit to scare off and chase off most of their customers...! But, (D)s don't think about anything much beside "shame" and name-calling--"phobe-this and "phobe-that", so it isn't surprising at all. I find more intelligence from telephone poles than dummy (D)s these days--they are impervious to fact, reason and logic. Sorry if that's insulting--it's meant to be purely objective fact--and I don't need to "shame" a single soul. They are a pack of loony zombies--a mindless mob, in the main.

I'm just really sick at the base lowbrow mentality being exhibited by so-called "liberals" today. Seriously, they would be ashamed of their own stupidity if they had more sense...Jeez, the government ruins practically everything it touches--but these idiots look to it for a free lunch--always the "free lunch" that (D) con-men posing as politicians keep promising them but never delivering...;) Aiiiieeee! Who will save me from the rampant stupidity of bigoted, racist, name-calling (D)s...?...;) (I guess I'll have to depend on self-reliance to get me through as usual.)

Net neutrality for dummies:

Q: Why are (D)s everywhere hot to crush the Internet under reams of silly, punative regulation?

A: Because their ultimate aim is to have the speech and the content on the Internet regulated by other (D)s *in the government*--so that these whiny little children can then control *everything*--they think.

If you are a literate person alive and reading this and you don't understand it--or understand why it is absolutely true--then God help you. You are supporting persons who want to suborn every single right you have as an American to their dictates--they could care less about 'Freedom of speech'--they want to take it away from you, if it all possible. If you disagree with them--they want to shame you--not convert you--because they can't as they have no rational arguments and facts.

You see, the puny-brained (D)s got clobbered in 2016--not just in the Congressional and Presidential races, but also in the state governments where they hold less than 20% of all the legislature seats in the country! It may go worse on them in 2018 based on their current conduct since the inauguration of our new President! So at all costs--they think "the Russians" of some unknown origin and identity, and the Internet and basically everyone *who voted against them in 2016* must be controlled. They will do whatever they have to do to control you--and if you support these freedom-hating neanderthals, you are saying loud and clear that you don't care how much the (D)s abuse you! It is as simple as that, sad to say. (D)s today *hate* this country--which in my book puts them on the intellectual plane of undead zombies. Ugh. Mob mentality personified.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Prey Trial Version Released
5. Re: Prey Trial Version Released Aug 16, 2017, 19:21 WaltC

Slick wrote on Aug 16, 2017, 17:35:
If this is anything like the other demo they had on consoles, it's quite misleading. The first hour of gameplay and last hour of gameplay aren't very indicative of how the middle 23 hours of gameplay play out.

I remember thinking how great this game would be based on the opening hour... I was disappoint.

Yes, it sounds really fishy...;) What's wrong with a Demo, eh? I'm very suspicious of replacing a "demo" with a "free trial." Sounds like a gimmick. No time limits--just give me a demo with say 1/4 of the game--and then let me decide whether I want to buy the full game. Otherwise, sounds like pure sucker-bait & not interested in being bamboozled...;)

News Comments > New AMD and NVIDIA Drivers
8. Re: New AMD and NVIDIA Drivers Aug 16, 2017, 08:20 WaltC

headkase wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 19:43:
The new AMD drivers are ONLY if you have a Vega. Other than that the latest Crimson driver is still 17.7.2.

And here's the new driver if you have a Vega:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-radeon-vega-17-8-1-beta-6-driver-download.html

Yes, that's why whomever it was here couldn't "find" them...;)

News Comments > Computers Are Good at Computer Games: AI Wins Dota 2 1-on-1
15. Re: Computers Are Good at Computer Games: AI Wins Dota 2 1-on-1 Aug 13, 2017, 09:09 WaltC

The AI cheats, of course. Doesn't play like a human has to play.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patched
20. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 12, 2017, 11:53 WaltC

Frode wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 10:06:
Ozmodan wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 09:48:
Still not even close to a AAA title yet they expect that kind of money for it.

It's 60% off on Steam at the moment. I sorta want to try the game out, I'll admit, but I feel like the current discounted price should be the full price, and I'd buy at 50% off of that. Which is probably never going to happen.

Oh, it *will* happen...;) In fact, you'll surely see it for $5 or less and maybe sooner than you think...but it *will* definitely happen. In the meantime there is plenty to play in other released games that are finished atm, so no need to wait.

I cannot but think that the people still interested in this game are letting the advance marketing about the patch lull them, just as they let the original marketing for the game seduce them...;) I would advise patience and waiting to see what people who have already bought the game have to say about the latest attempt to fix it. Sometimes, it simply isn't possible to fix a bus wreck after it has happened...;) Other times, a diamond in the rough is uncovered. It is certainly too early to say which is the case here, imo.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Not saying this was your problem but... Aug 11, 2017, 15:57 WaltC

Blue wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 11:13:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 10:30:
Blue, I assume you're running Windows 10.

Do you take me for some sort of heathen?

Actually it's Win7 Pro 64-bit.

...;) Running Win10x64 build 16257 (Preview build) and it's great. Really...;) I'm not pushing OS versions here...but it's far more compatible with my installed library of >350 games (no, I am not lying--I actually have them installed--spanning TB's of course!) than Windows 7 was for me. However, I would not recommend coming over to 10 until this fall with the next commercial release that will be based on what I'm running now--and beyond. The so-called current "Creator's Update" that released in the spring I would probably stay away from--there were some problems with it initially in terms of game compatibility, but I believe they have been cleared up with official cumulative patches released from Microsoft in the last couple of months over their Windows Update channels, but these builds I'm running now are *way better,* imo. The upcoming fall release of the next version will be the ticket, unless Microsoft does something between now and then--which is distinctly possible...;) But I think they are well on their way now. You've got until 1/2020 before Win7 EOL's completely, but by then I don't expect to see anyone running it anymore--much (Hell, there are people running WinXP still, believe it or not! Talk about bug/virus magnets--everyone who is anyone in the virus-maker phone book salivates over discovering XP users in the wild...;))

But we are now approaching Win10x64 *like it should be* for *computer users* and people who enjoy games like all of us (!)--and it's really shaping up, finally--I've been running advance previews since 10/2014. This last update boots my *desktop* (They'll have to take my mouse, keyboard, and large, hi-res monitor out of my cold dead fingers, I tell you!) The last two builds boot to full desktop--and I have dozens of shortcuts on my desktop--faster than I've ever seen it happen. Good things are in the pipe--and the backwards compatibility for gaming is really demonstrably superior to even Win7's backwards game compatibility. OK, almost time to shut off the mouth apparatus here that is for some reason glued to my face--the lower quadrant!

Oh, an earlier poster mentioned the wisdom of turning off hibernation in Win10--and he's right. I turn it off each build--also defeats the "fast startup" from Microsoft--which was nothing except a hibernation-assisted boot. Unless you are on a *cough* laptop--this is *not* a desirable feature! 'nuff said..!

News Comments > Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales
50. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 21:14 WaltC

Creston wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 10:05:
I'm sure some people are refusing to buy it because cliffyb has been a giant dick against PC players.

Some are refusing to buy it because it looks too twitchy or other gameplay related reasons.

I'm pretty sure most people refuse to buy it because they have Overwatch already.

I don't buy multiplayer games at all--just not interested in them. Never owned consoles and never will, but now the new ~4k-capable consoles from Sony and Microsoft are little more than low-priced PCs of lower mid-range power at best--but they are PCs, even if they aren't expandable and upgradable as actual PCs are. The value is there at $300-$400, though. Because they leverage the PC marketplace. So Cliffy B. got it all backwards...;)

The PC never died--which anyone half awake could have seen--but what happened was that the "console" is what "died" and the PC ate it...;) That's precisely what happened. But Cliffy B. is not too terribly bright, it seems to me, and never has been, so watching his stuff flop is not at all surprising for me. Smart people interpret data with an open-mind and don't allow presumption and assumption to color their decisions--the opposite of how Cliffy B did things. Epic wasn't Cliffy B--never was and never will be. Epic is Sweeney--it's Unreal and UT and the Unreal Engine. Always has been and always will be.

Sweeney and Carmack both dropped out of the PC marketplace (Carmack stayed in a little but Sweeney got completely out) into the much easier console markets when competition got really strong in the x86 Windows gaming markets. But all of that is water over the dam now and I wish Sweeney well on his return to Windows and with his Unreal 4 PC game engine--hope it does well. It seems to me that the only merit Cliffy B can rightfully claim is his association with Epic which benefited him far more than he was of benefit to Epic. Insofar as Cliffy B. was responsible for Epic foolishly dropping out of the PC markets, then to that degree Epic will be better off without him. I shed no tears when B. left Epic. There's nowhere for him to go but down and out. Advising Sweeney to dump all over the very people and marketplace that put Epic on the map always left a sour taste in my mouth, and I suppose I am still prejudiced a bit about that. Sweeney got off to such a great start with Unreal and UT on the PC--sigh...well, here's his chance to get back into the big leagues again. I wish him and Epic well.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 9, 2017, 15:55 WaltC

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 10:36:
I am done with Intel, sticking with AMD processors for the near future. At least with AMD I don't have to get a new motherboard with every new generation.

Currently running a 1700 with fast memory and it competes with any other Intel processor.

Ok...feel like a little background, inspired by your post...;)

I dropped Intel at home completely in '99 just to see what would happen--and I actually never went back--never had a reason to. I like high resolution, nice monitors and beefy GPUs, and buying AMD cpus and gpus (before that it was Matrox, 3dfx and ATi--primarily--before that it was eight years of Amigas) has saved me a ton of money over the years--and allowed me to purchase a lot more software, and so on. That's what I like about them--they deliberately try and create value in every market they enter, unlike Intel and nVidia. AMD is actually the opposite of nVidia and Intel in many ways. If those two companies didn't price-gouge as much as they do, though, AMD would have a much tougher road creating value--but Intel and nVidia have made it easy for them in that regard. Plenty of room for AMD to make as-good-or-better (often better) products while charging substantially less. And they have succeeded royally over the years. Now, thanks to Lisa Su and all the rest of the gang at AMD, the company's future looks extremely bright, indeed. Charge ahead!--the future looks great--come on in, the water's fine...;)

But, I'll say it was a close one for AMD! The whole market was thrown into turmoil and misdirection when a Microsoft led by ex-salesman Ballmer decided everyone was going to throw out his PC and pick up far less capable, far less configurable, far less powerful "tablets", with touch-screens--those greasy-fingerprints-on-the-screen things we occasionally hear about today...;) Then Windows 8, and all the junk and horrible assumptions therein. The Apple poison was spreading far from the Apple tree again, and the PC market was hurled into confusion for awhile. Pre-Su, but post-A64, the top people at AMD were essentially clueless and were allowing other clueless people like Ballmer to lead them by the nose--and the whole darn industry almost fell into the ditch because of horrible human judgment in key places. (Kills companies every time--#1 cause of early death among tech companies.) So it was good that Ballmer left Microsoft so that common sense once again could begin to emerge. But it was close for AMD. Su and friends came on like the proverbial white knights--but really they are all just very smart people with good judgment--unlike Ballmer @ Microsoft, imo.

Let Apple sell all the cell phones they want--God bless 'em, they have my best wishes in that regard. But anybody who might be tempted to think that Apple knows much of anything of any value whatsoever concerning the x86 PC marketplace, is to be forgiven his ignorance and demoted immediately, for the good of the human race...;) No, iPads are *not* the future--and cell phones are in no danger of usurping the vibrant x86 PC marketplace. Vibrant once again, largely because of the solid judgement of AMD.

News Comments > Starflight Remake Plans?
5. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 15:08 WaltC

I have been mystified for years why no one has done a nice reboot of Starflight--what a great discovery, exploration, alien-mystery-to-unravel game it was in its day--it even featured hostile aliens! You chased the mystery across galaxies, through wormholes, hunting for clues in ancient ruins, etc. Starflight had it all, and was far more than merely a trading/fighting game. You sought out and discovered colony planets--a big source of income in the game. The trading and the fighting served as the background for the main story--which was just how it should have been, imo. People were smarter in those days, too (only half-joking about that...;))--which maybe explains why it's never been rebooted.

If I was younger and wanted to pull a crew together to do a game it would be that one! EA screwed up with the Mass Effect games--the first one had the potential do be a Starflight reboot--but those games are far too cheesy and don't come close to the possibilities! Hope this happens! Can you imagine the cool scanning and topographical maps that could be generated from orbit today? The possibilities are limitless. Just so long as it's not some cheesy rip off made for pre-teens with no brains...;) Puh-leaze...!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2017, 14:52 WaltC

Flatline wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 11:26:
"Hold Your Nose: Burglar Doesn't Flush, Gets Caught by DNA Evidence."

This isn't the first time feces caught a criminal in Ventura County.

My friend was murdered in the summer of 1997. Apparently the murderer was robbing his home and in the process left a giant deuce in the hamper. The cops sampled it, froze it.

15 years later they figured out they could extract DNA from feces. So they pulled his DNA.

Two years after that someone got arrested for accepting felony levels of stolen goods and was sentenced to a year in prison. They swabbed his cheek as standard operating procedure, ran it through the cold case file and... my friend's murder came up.

He was convicted last February and sentenced to life in prison without parole. It took 20 years but his shit stank after all.

Thanks for your input...its makes the story more believable--evidently this is something they are now looking for routinely @ crime scenes in that locale, even a burglary. My skepticism stems from the fact that if my home had been burglarized and I got home and found the house broken into and then also saw poop in the toilet, my first impulse would have been to flush it away. Ugh. Interesting--although the burglary story still bothers me a bit as the perp looks like a TV/movie actor I've seen somewhere...;) Fake News is everywhere these days--hard to know what is real from what isn't. Lots of it isn't just about Trump, either--publishing fiction as fact seems to be a growing trend in and of the last few years across the country!

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 9, 2017, 14:26 WaltC

One broadband choice...yada, yada, yada...;) I wonder when silly liberals will understand that "competition" cannot be "legislated," in exactly the same way as computers, networks, and all of the hardware ever invented cannot be conjured into existence by government regulations and/or decrees. Reality doesn't work like that. Technology doesn't work that way--human nature doesn't work that way. Utopia, for instance, doesn't exist and will never exist despite all the burdensome regulation political liberals can fantasize and wet-dream about...;) What will exist, though, to complement the liberal delusion that utopia is obtainable with enough rules and regulations, is that services will become fewer and far more expensive and far less capable, at the same time. Progress will stop and lawyers will eat the technological cake and the icing, too.

And what's the core of those rules and regs? It boils down to liberals seeking a legal code to make everyone else conform to their desires and preferences. You disagree?--"Too bad," the liberal says, "We're going to enforce regs that will make you do what we want you to do. We don't care in the slightest if you don't like it." Which is why the country is turning conservative in leaps and bounds.

This coin has two sides--yes, you can say that AT&T has "taken over" a certain territory. Or, you can say that AT&T is providing service where *no one else wants to provide it.* The government is not your savior, look to it for your salvation at your own personal peril--it's a great lesson to learn as early in life as possible.

***And what prompted this tirade, precisely? I have no idea...;)

News Comments > Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support
5. Re: Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support Jul 20, 2017, 11:23 WaltC

These days, XP is a virus/worm magnet and not much good for anything else--and if it's run at all it should be strictly offline, imo. Vista x64 has double the ram requirements of Win10x64, and isn't much better than XP these days--a real kludge.  

News Comments > Ni no Kuni II: REVENANT KINGDOM Delay
1. Re: Ni no Kuni II: REVENANT KINGDOM Delay Jul 13, 2017, 18:27 WaltC

I know that other Ni no KUNI II:REVENANT KINGDOM fans, such as I might have been myself had I ever bothered to digest and move past the absolutely horrifically bad title of this "game"(?), are shell-shocked and heartbroken to learn of this truly heart-rending event. After all, a day without Ni no Kuni II:REVENANT KINGDOM is like a day without sunshine, a day without breathable oxygen in an LA parking garage in the middle of a smog event, or a day in the private jet of a fat and sweating Al Gore as he lectures all of us on the "evils of Co2" even as he paints great black, strobing contrails of pollutants across the brilliant blue face of the Eastern sky--and he regales us all with cheery tales of how he is careful to close off 17 rooms of his 18-room beach house in the summer, in order to reduce his "summertime fun Co2 footprint" when he's is not in residence.

Laughing uproariously as though he had just heard the funniest joke he has told himself in a long while, the AlGore then proceeds to describe his famous "Oceanside Party Schedule" when he is in residence at his ocean-front beach mansion! It seems that all 18 rooms open electronically to the sun & salt at which time his super-efficient, atomic-powered AC switches on with a roar, dumping millions of ice-cold BTU's per second into the open beach air so as to keep his party guests cool and comfortable no matter the weather, even when all the rooms are open-air configured.

"It's all possible," Gore says,"because of my own private underground fission reactor which I had commissioned from the old Chernobyl blue prints, you understand, so as to go with the latest and greatest Energy-Star designs of the 1960's, you understand--nothing but the best for my Beach Bunnies!"

Although I notice long rivulets of sweat streaming copiously down his incredibly fat, pompous face, I am polite and say nothing, and nod my head whenever Gore signals that such nods are appropriate to his ongoing monologue. "You might wonder," Gore continues, "where I got the amazing ideas for these structures that are far in advance of the best energy-efficient designs imaginable today--yes?" I nod eagerly as I feel he wants me to do. "Good! I got the idea playing a game of Ni no Kuni I: NUCLEAR KINGDOM MUSHROOM CLOUD right here aboard my very own power-miser jet. Isn't that something?" Gore beams at me as I nod, again and again.

"So my advice to all of you young pups growing up is this: vote Democrat party, yes? It's the way you should vote and everyone in your family should vote, yes? In fact, if you like the way you see me living and you like the power saving lifestyle I've demonstrated for you--well--You won't get any of this by voting Republican! No sir, I can tell you that right now!"

And, after all is said and done, I leave at last, somehow feeling more confident than I ever have about not voting for Democrat party candidates ever again, as long as I shall live!...;) And I owe it all to Ni no Kuni II: REVENANT KINGDOM Truth is *always* stranger than fiction!

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 13, 2017, 08:22 WaltC

LittleMe wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 07:56:
Net Neutrality is conjured up by socialists. It won't work. It doesn't solve the problem. Competition and and open market for wired internet is the solution but that's more ethereal. People want things written in stone which is a bad idea long term.

The folks who manufacture the fear about 'net neutrality' are despicable, imo. It's one of the worst-written articles I've ever read, actually. It's pure naked, ignorant fear-mongering from start to finish. I've been an Internet consumer every day since 1995, and the *only* changes I have seen have been for the better--it's so much better now than it was then and it was all accomplished without the aid of a single, solitary government regulation. Without a bunch of heavy-handed top-down laws governing the Internet, the Internet has flourished. What they are trying to do is talk weak-minded people into believing a "need" exists to regulate the Internet, by a government that can barely tie its own shoes--so that they can ultimately *control the content.* If what you want is government censorship--then, yes, by all means support 'network neutrality.' Anytime people want to politicize technology you can be sure that their motivation is *not* good for consumers. The best Internet is an Internet free to respond to its customers. For some unfathomable reason, 'net-neutrality' dupes believe that crooked politicians and "Washington" care more about them than their ISPs--who need *their business* just to survive.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 11 This Month
5. Re: Diablo III Season 11 This Month Jul 6, 2017, 11:39 WaltC

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 6, 2017, 10:13:
Yeah, Spectral -- it gets a lot more hate than it deserves. Even though I'm not happy with the on-line requirement, I've gotten over it over time...

I didn't buy it--don't want it--when developers start designing the DRM into the structure of their games, I'm out--just not interested. Still actually enjoying Diablo II & expansion, although I discovered that the last so-called patch for the game that Blizzard released--1.14, believe--actually renders my copies unplayable--and it adds nothing of interest to me, but 1.12/13 work fine, however. Under Win10x64 build 16232, RX 480 8G. D3 and the last SimCity both thought that they'd be cute by building DRM into the structure of the game--making the online component a requirement and ruining or else cutting out the single-player aspect completely--no thanks. Don't miss them at all. I buy all of my games--if developers want to punish me for doing so, fine--but I will not buy the games that do so.

News Comments > Raf Colantonio Leaving Arkane
3. Re: Raf Colantonio Leaving Arkane Jun 27, 2017, 20:12 WaltC

Squirmer wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 19:29:
I'm pretty sad about this. I've been a fan of his games since Arx Fatalis. Speaking of which, it's now 15 years to the day since that game's release.

Yep, always wanted to see them do more with Arx Fatalis...Great game, incredibly original at the time--nothing cookie-cutter about that one. Most really original games suffer the same fate these days--obscurity--in favor of one cookie-cutter paradigm or another.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed
6. Re: Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed Jun 18, 2017, 13:55 WaltC

This is one of the reasons I only buy and play (and mod!) single-player games. One of the reasons--there are many more, but I despise the neo-copy protections that some companies are attempting to integrate into even single-player game design--like how single-player Diablo III was ruined by designing key game elements forced to interact with their online servers else the game wouldn't *run*--so that offline mode was killed off even for single play. Then they put in the idiotic *online* auction house ideas, and killed it again. Never bought it--never will, and that's why.

OTOH, just reinstalled the venerable Diablo II--again, for the umpteenth-thousandth time since I bought it in a.d. 1999/2000!...;) Still enjoying the game--*and* the mods, and getting my money's worth! Too bad, Blizzard--I know you must hate it...;)

Blizzard says privately, "It's not fair--it's just not right!--That people should buy our software at full pop on release, at the price we asked, and then use it in perpetuity! Not fair--and we are going to work to make that impossible from now on! And mods? Are they insane? We are going to stomp on that with both feet!"

EA is horrible about that--then there's the last Sim City which arrived DOA because of stupid, online-only single-play mode in which the EA servers were again used as a part of the game's single-play design. What a transparent dodge--it's copy-protection, pure and simple. It also is something I simply won't buy. Ever.

I'm sure Blue's readers could add much more. The bottom line is that when I legally purchase a copy of any game, then so long as I don't copy it-and-sell-the-copy, violating copyright, I can do whatever it is I choose to do with the copy. I can mod it prodigiously, I can fold it, staple it, mutilate it, trash it, play it for thirty years, *even *sell it* if I want--because that copy is *mine.* I bought it and paid for it--the original publisher/developer sold those rights to me when he sold me the copy. Companies like Blizzard are going to find contrary attitudes on their parts will cost them far more than it's worth, imo.

News Comments > Medal of Honor Pacific Assault Free on Origin
7. Re: Medal of Honor Pacific Assault Free on Origin Jun 18, 2017, 11:28 WaltC

DukeFNukem wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 22:45:
Shouldn't the title be more like "Free Again"? Hasn't this been offered for free in the past by Origin? So, that's all the freebies I guess from the new service.

I picked it up the last time they gave it away...;)

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
7. Re: DiRT 4 Released Jun 10, 2017, 10:06 WaltC

Rigs wrote on Jun 10, 2017, 00:08:
Asked a (probably stupid) question earlier today in the AMD driver thread but I don't think anyone saw it and it's about to fall off the page, so could someone go back and take a look and maybe give me an answer? Pweety Pwease?! Wacko

=-Rigs-=

I also ventured an opinion there...;) Hope it helps!

768 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo