Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 868 (Graduate)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Bardís Tale IV: Barrows Deep Wishlist Initiative
4. Re: The Bardís Tale IV: Barrows Deep Wishlist Initiative Aug 17, 2018, 08:52 WaltC

Seems like a novel way to promote the game...;) Not a bad idea, and I'm in, too, although it is a bit strange for people to wishlist a game they already know for certain is coming...!  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 15, 2018, 16:39 WaltC

Darks wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 10:11:
Microsoft will never learn to stop integrating the stupid browser into the OS.

I dont why they constantly fail to stop and listen to the customers.

Its beyond stupidity.

And it seems that some users as well will never learn that just because a program is included doesn't mean they have to use it...;) I loathe Edge--been a Windows Insider since 10/1/2014, when it started. Haven't used Edge more than 30 minutes the whole time--I prefer Firefox DE x64--it runs perfectly in Windows--no problems. It's just like "Paint" or the "Photo viewer"--you never have to use it if you don't want it, and there are absolutely no roadblocks in the OS to stop you from running whatever you want to run instead. Not a single one.

So...complaining that a program is included in the OS is a giant red-herring--it might be fine for governments needing back-door taxes like the struggling EU hitting Microsoft, Google, and Apple for something like a combined $25B in back-door taxes--for imaginary consumer sleights (note that none of these fines go to the alleged victims--they all go to the EUC--and the EUC lawyers make out like real bandits every time--get paid gigantic commissions.) Your info is way out of date and was never actually ever accurate in the first place, to tell the truth.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > The Bard's Tale Trilogy Begins
10. Re: remaster Aug 15, 2018, 11:03 WaltC

purecharger wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 10:24:
Surprisingly entertaining! The automapper is a godsend and has a nice transparent overlay on the game window. Found myself playing for an hour after just intending to check it out for a couple minutes. Good laptop game for work trips in the hotel / airplane.

Yep--you might want to speed up the text scrolling some just like in the original--got my GOG key an hour ago, and can verify both automapper, minimap overlay, and most importantly--save anywhere/anytime (except in combat, or some other event, of course.) Looks nice @ 3840x2160, too...;)

News Comments > The Bard's Tale Trilogy Begins
8. Re: The Bard's Tale Trilogy Begins Aug 15, 2018, 09:11 WaltC

Rhialto wrote on Aug 14, 2018, 20:26:
So... how many of you played this 33 years ago and are willing to play this again? Really? I mean...

I remember playing this countless hours on the C-64 mapping everything at hands but I'm really not sure I have interest of playing it all again today. Sure I would love spend 2-3 hours looking around this remastered game but I highly doubt I could play it all, even if back then it was one of my favorite title.

I can't pinpoint the exact reason why. I don't know if I'm getting old or have lost interest or there is too much titles these days.

(Sigh)

I'm definitely looking forward to it. BTW, the remaster not only comes with all new art and sound, it also includes an automapper...;) If I am not mistaken--you can also save where you like now, too. I originally played BT1 on a tandy 1000; then again on an Amiga 500, where I also played BT2 all the way through. Can't quite remember what I did with BT3, though...;)

News Comments > Bethesda Blocks Used Game Sale
7. Re: Bethesda Blocks Used Game Sale Aug 11, 2018, 13:51 WaltC

Some Bethesda lawyer trying to get noticed, no doubt. The "warranty" is a complete non-issue since Bethesda only warranties the disk--not the game itself. Stupid, because such items will be sold and traded anyway and Bethesda will never know about those transactions.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 3, 2018, 22:00 WaltC

Thanks for the heads up!  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 2, 2018, 09:26 WaltC

MattyC wrote on Aug 2, 2018, 02:09:
I am not really sure when they stopped being banned. When I was in high school (yes, way way back in the Paleozoic) we were absolutely allowed to have phones, but if we took them out in the classroom they were taken away and the students parents had to come reclaim it.

Seemed to work well enough. You could use them as much as you wanted in the halls / at lunch, just not in class. Not sure what changed.

When I was in school (right after Moses crossed the Red Sea, or thereabouts) we weren't allowed to use even pocket calculators as it was considered cheating (and cell phones hadn't yet been invented)...;) Basically it was you, your brain, a pencil and a textbook--and that was it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2018, 15:25 WaltC

jdreyer wrote on Jul 25, 2018, 12:18:
Pigeon wrote on Jul 25, 2018, 10:39:
Can the mom be put on notice for allowing her daughter to eat four bags of Cheetos a week? And I'm going to guess they're not snack size.
From the article:
the mother told the station in a report last week that her child "was eating big bags and would take them to school with her."
Yeah...

Wherever there is kid eating fattening, dangerous junk food you'll find an over-indulgent parent, it's true. One of my high-school chums was skinny growing up, and when I'd go home with him in the afternoon sometimes his mother always had cupcakes or a cake baking in the oven! Poor guy became obese in later years and a few years after graduating high-school he died! I'll never forget it. It makes me appreciate my "strict" parents who didn't spoil me with food like that--heck, I had to grow up on skim milk--which really isn't bad at all once you cultivate a taste for it...;) Never had a weight problem my entire life, and I think that's why.

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned
6. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned Jul 23, 2018, 12:19 WaltC

Prez wrote on Jul 23, 2018, 10:56:
Say what you want about Murray and Hello Games, but they could have easily taken the huge bank they made off of No Man's Sky at release and walked away. Instead they put up with the criticism and derision and stuck with it, turning No Man's Sky into something many of us would really like to play. Not a lot of developers do that any more.

I agree...I'm impressed with the time and money they've continued to put into it. All of the major developers are doing that these days--with EEs and etc. Publishers are finally beginning to understand that their IP is something that can continue to pay off for years into the future--provided they don't simply take the money and run six months after release.

News Comments > Politicians to Livestream Games on Twitch
1. Re: Politicians to Livestream Games on Twitch Jul 18, 2018, 11:19 WaltC

WaPo and NYT = Fake News Kings,imo.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jul 14, 2018, 11:45 WaltC

Is this just another "fake news" piece, or are people really this dumb?...;) "Send me $1,000 and I promise not to Twitterize the video of you cavorting on Mars in your skimpy underwear! And because I'm such a good guy, I'll even throw in the negatives!"  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 13, 2018, 11:32 WaltC

Darks wrote on Jul 13, 2018, 10:31:
Why do stupid articles like this keep coming up about the PC being dead. It will never be dead. Its always going to be relevant for us hard core PC players.

Amen--PC is the center of the universe. Always was, always will be, no matter how many fantasies Apple may publish abroad....;)

Son: "Dad, did the PC die?"

Dad: "No, son, it was was only Steve Jobs who actually died."

Son: "So, I don't have to hear, like, 'The PC is dead,' anymore?"

Dad: "Yeppers...glory be, that particularly silly bit of fake news is pushing up daisies along with its creator, these days!"

Dad & Son join hands and together break into a robust stanza of "Amazing Grace"...!

....;)

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2018, 18:08 WaltC

Nimh wrote on Jun 19, 2018, 17:23:

Musk is an asshole boss with a prosecution complex. I have no idea how he gets the press coverage he gets.

It's the perfect thing to say when your entire electric car scheme is falling apart and you consistently cannot meet your targets for product production. "It's not me, it was Employee X who sabotaged the works." I don't think Musk needs any help with sabotage...;) He's been doing a splendid job of it for years, imo.

He gets coverage because he is another of Obama's ridiculous "Green Genius" projects backed by government money--like Solyndra *cough* ($500M of taxpayer money down the rabbit hole, and nobody knows where all that money went!)--that seems to be going nowhere fast. Musk is what happens when the government tries to make fiscal decisions and design products, etc. Often what looks good to the government is simply a fraudulent giveaway. Musk is into the government pie by a few billion $ so far--we shall see, but I think his time with Tesla is running out rapidly.

News Comments > Steam Ending Windows XP and Vista Support
12. Re: Steam Ending Windows XP and Vista Support Jun 12, 2018, 22:33 WaltC

everyone wrote on Jun 12, 2018, 18:35:
I am not living in the dark ages, as I have my main rig on Windows 10. But I have a "legacy PC" on XP which runs all my old games. Shame that I will have to get all these games reconfigured for a new OS. Steam should leave an old version of steam that will still run on old OS's. Migrating a large library of old games and game settings (many of them non-steam) from a 32 bit OS to a modern OS, is one of the biggest nightmares of modern PC gaming.

Really, the only nightmares to the very old games are the copy protection, some 16-bit file structures, and a few other things--which you can get past easily these days with the GOG versions of the games where available.

I have dozens of Win32 & DOS16 games and every single one runs terrifically on my latest version of Win10x64, build 17686.1000 (Insider's). Games going back 30 years plus run wonderfully. I find Win10 far more backwards-compatible than Win7 32/64, thought I'd mention it.

There are some caveats, however...;) All the old games you want to keep for the future I'd strongly advise picking up at GOG as the terrible stuff like ancient copy protection (DRM) and file structures for some games just won't run these days--unless you pick up the GOG versions--which do run extremely well and have all of the copy protection stripped out, and the ancient file structures, too--and these are all legal IP copies, as well. IMO, GOG does a much better job with the preservation of older games than Steam--lots of older Steam titles seem to have nothing done at all for them in terms of latter OS compatibility.

I see zero advantage to keeping a "legacy PC" (the actual hardware) around just to run older games, really--much more trouble than it's worth these days, imo. There's just no sense in it as either the titles have been updated to run on modern OSes or else will run fine on DOS emulators, etc., inside Win10x64--I've got ~285 GOG titles, ~60 Steam titles, and 30 Origin titles, ~10 Ubisoft titles and ~35 originals that I've made to run fine on Win10x64--and all run very well on versions of Win10x64 that aren't even available to the public yet. I prefer GOG because I get a complete installable copy of the game--every game--that's stripped of all DRM (Galaxy is *not* DRM, though some mistakenly think it is like Steamworks in that regard, and Galaxy is optional.) Don't need "offline mode" and all of that claptrap with GOG, etc. But not all the games I collect are available on GOG so I have to go Steam occasionally--have nothing against Steam except that it's more of a hassle and less user friendly than GOG, imo. Origin I have to have for the C&C classics I like to have in my collection--that's about it.

I've got at least one Myst title that *nobody* can get running with modern OSes (Exile)..;)...but the good news there is that the Myst guys have announced they are re-releasing all of the Myst games for Win10x64 in the next year or so--if not remastered then 100% native compatible. As for Abandonware--if you've got good working knowledge with DOs box (I prefer the SVN-Daum versions) then you already have a dos computer--no need to really go back to a '486 DOS rig...! Arggggghghghg...;) Lots of games are porting from DOSbox to SCUMMVM--which often works wonderfully well.

Ironically, the latter Win10x64 OS versions I've found to be a lot more compatible with older Windows games than Win7 in general. Basically, I can't recommend anything earlier than Win10x64, version 1803, build 17686.1000, believe it or not...I won't even look at Win 7 these days anymore--too much trouble--no payoff that I can see. Microsoft is putting a ton of effort into backwards-compatibility for Win10--especially beginning with version 1803 and the newer builds. It really pays, too.

Well, we all love to collect games--so just thought I'd chime in with what I like and what works for me....;) Happy gaming, guys!

News Comments > The Bard's Tale 4 Video Walkthrough
3. Re: The Bard's Tale 4 Video Walkthrough May 26, 2018, 16:19 WaltC

Bill Borre wrote on May 26, 2018, 14:36:
What I remember from the original Bard's Tales was how hard they were. Those games were brutal. From the days when you really got a sense of accomplishment from completing a computer game. And don't get me started on Wizardry...

I remember mapping by hand...;) I'm far too lazy to want to do that today...!

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 21, 2018, 19:42 WaltC

Creston wrote on May 21, 2018, 19:03:
One hundred MILLION??? Is Fortnite making them that much money??

Certainly a misprint, no question...;)

News Comments > Flight Sim World to be Grounded
6. Re: Flight Sim World to be Grounded Apr 29, 2018, 23:04 WaltC

jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2018, 14:07:
Buyer beware, and don't buy early access?

You bet--Caveat Emptor! look at all "Early Access" games and even Kickstarters with healthy but searing skepticism, and don't spend $1 more on any of these prematurely selling games than you can afford to lose. You are probably OK with devs you already know through the successful products they have launched--but newbies? Nah, stay away. No point spending money just for them to discover they underestimated their development budget by 200% or more and simply quit. Does Steam refund EA games that are canceled before release? Can't recall. That would be nice...;)

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 28, 2018, 21:16 WaltC

Seems a waste of money--the reason flu vaccines don't work well (if they work at all, which is doubtful)is because as it spreads, as the flu virus jumps from person to person, it *mutates* every time, making a vaccine for *the* flu strain afflicting most people quite impossible. Each year millions of people in the US get flu vaccinations and each year it seems we have pandemics of flu, anyway--and that's why. The flu vaccine makers simply guess at a particular strain and manufacture the vaccines for *that* particular strain--which would be great if the flu virus *did not mutate* from person to person--but it does and we know it does. The impossibility of a flu virus that works is pretty solid--but like everything else, greed and a willingness to throw away good science for wishful thinking carries the day.

Oh, they could theoretically manufacture a vaccine for your particular strain, but the problem is that a) it would cost a small fortune, and b) the time time it takes to synthesize it would be much longer than the usual 7-10 day flu lasts--in other words, by the time they finished it you would already have recovered from it naturally. It would be possible to cure the common cold the same way--but, again, by the time they manufactured the vaccine for *your* cold you'd already have recovered from it naturally. (this is all old, well-established science.)

I'm a great believer in vaccines, generally--for stuff like small pox, polio, and stuff that doesn't mutate. But the flu vaccine looks like a giant dead end. Like I say, a couple of decades back this was well known--today that knowledge takes a back seat to a lot of bad information. Pharmaceuticals are making lots of $$$ on the scare, but I've seen far more young people ~15-16 years old *dying* of common flu complications these days, and that is something I heard *nothing* about at all when I was that age and we had no flu vaccines at all. Seems the vaccines may well be worsening the flu virus universally, making it more virile--it isn't clear what's going on--except that flu shots are not a panacea for the flu--just more false security of the kind people seem to crave these days. Wish it wasn't so...

News Comments > Midday Tech Bits
1. Re: Midday Tech Bits Apr 27, 2018, 14:09 WaltC

Both AMD and Intel reporting "record" revenue and profits, and yet some people are still saying (as they have been erroneously saying for the past couple of decades), that the PC industry is "dying." What it's been "dying" for are new an innovative products, and thanks to AMD we've got them again, from *both* companies (Intel seems to do *nothing* until AMD lights a fire under it, apparently.)  

News Comments > New Ryzen CPU Reviews
21. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 20, 2018, 12:53 WaltC

El Pit wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 09:52:
Wow! They Ryzen 7 2700X would definitely be my choice - a lot of BANG for the money! Nice to see that intel finally gets real competition with the Ryzen cpus. Unfortunately, on the gpu side of things nvidia has nothing to fear. AMD, you pulled off something great with your cpus, now go and deliver some great graphics power!

Agree completely on the CPU part of the equation. It appears that if Intel experiences no direct competition in the CPU marketplace, the company loses interest in cpu R&D altogether! (A position highly sought after by monopolists worldwide, both actual and hopeful, I hear...;))

Those folks who for whatever reason prefer Intel cpu products should feel gratitude towards AMD--last time this sort of thing happened was when the K7 (Athlon) debuted--an event which directly led to Intel canceling all further development of the original Pentium architecture to make room for the 64-bit Core 2 architecture (because it was not even a competitor to AMD's K7 designs at the time!) Intel even spent money on a global ad campaign that stated, quote, "You don't need 64-bits on the desktop!" I doubt I shall ever forget that ad campaign because it illustrates perfectly the folly of trying to sell a negative concept as if it was positive. IMO, you'd have to be extremely arrogant to even try it.

But the GPU side of the fence is nowhere near being as simple a case as one might be forgiven for thinking these days, a general opinion that seems to favor nVidia based merely on a few repetitively published, low-res frame-rate benchmarks, etc. I, for instance, did not buy my 27" QHD (2560x1440) monitor and my 8GB GPU to play games at the low res of 1920x1080 or even lower, strangely enough (Yes, people are still publishing even 1280x720 benchmarks!) Simply put: no one who games at QHD and up should be buying his GPU based on its reported frame-rate performance at 1920x1080 and lower...;) Of course not, since the user won't be using his GPU in that manner.

But when we start running the benchmarks (and preferably the games) at QHD resolutions and up (what I bought my gear to do), then suddenly, presto-change-o, there is not a spit's worth of performance differences between AMD and nVidia!...;) This fact becomes especially poignant if one is also able to save huge percentages of the GPU purchase price at the same time by simply eschewing nVidia--money better spent on additional hardware and software, imo. It's amusing, if nothing else, to see these low-res benches pop up. But the actual value of such low-res benchmark results for people who buy QHD+ monitors and GPUs with 8GBs of onboard ram seems absolutely nil.

868 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo