User information for WaltC

Real Name
WaltC
Nickname
WaltSee
Email
Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
I was about to begin listing the enormous number of superlatives that would at least represent a modest attempt at the Herculean task of describing myself. Alas, this cannot be done in 250 characters or less.
Homepage
Signed On
January 31, 2003
Supporter
-
Total Posts
1614 (Pro)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

1614 Comments. 81 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    81  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Oct 17, 2021, 17:03
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2021, 17:03
Oct 17, 2021, 17:03

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 17, 2021, 16:51:
Another vote here for a dumb tv.

Yes, indeed. 'Dumb' these days is "good"...;) I'm strictly a component buyer myself--it's so much fun to put together nice component systems and have everything working as advertised or expected! Honestly, I never liked multifunction stuff even 30 years ago--never did. That early judgement appears to have been sound...;)

Blue--I'm sure you've tried replacement cables, if needed, eh?

It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Re: Out of the Blue
Oct 17, 2021, 16:57
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2021, 16:57
Oct 17, 2021, 16:57

Cutter wrote on Oct 17, 2021, 13:33:
Stay the hell away form Sony. I'll never buy anything else from them again. You can't use half the features on the TV unless you consent to them dataming you out the ass. They're also overpriced relative to picture quality. And they've intentionally gimped the online features so if you want a certain app like a VPN, good luck with that. They only allow you see what they want you to see. And it's all tied to Google datamining. I imagine Samsung and LG are the same.

Bought a TCL Roku TV for the bedroom and it's so much better all around. I actually had to buy a Roku soundbar for my Sony because I couldn't access Roku and all the other streaming channel services any other way. So my rec is for TCL.

Sony used to make really good stuff, on about 20-30 years ago, that is. When CRTs were king, Sony Trinitron monitors were very nice--for a CRT--last one I owned was a 20" Flat screen CRT Trinitron RGB monitor for 1600x1200 native--back in the '90's. Bought it direct from Sony California and it was drop shipped to me on the east coast direct from Sony USA for $600--which I thought was a steal at the time...;) Had no complaints, but after I bought my first LCD monitor a bit later I had no trouble understanding why CRTs obsoleted by LCDs. None! Haven't owned a Sony product after that until I bought the Sony x700 4K & BluRay player early this year--and what a mess! I have no axe to grind with Sony, I'm just surprised by what's happened to the company. I could not use the x700 for Streaming because it kept constantly locking up--couldn't watch just a standard BluRay disc without at least one lockup. In short, it was just about worthless! I mean, really substandard. The Sony BR disc player I bought before these latest additions (x700) was fabulous --never locked up once in streaming or with discs! Bought a 4k Panasonic UB-420-K , I believe was the designation--and it's been like night and day! Lockups? What're they?...;) Not kidding--I've never seen so much product differentiation!

So, I use the Panasonic for disc movies--bought a ROKU Ultra for my 4k HDR10 TV for 4k streaming exclusively--never had the first lockup! Love that ROKU. Cannot say enough good things about the Panasonic UB-420-K (and I'll say do not buy the Sony x700!)...

Just thought I'd reply as I don't know what has happened with Sony, either. After the 90's it seems like a much different, much inferior company.
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Re: Sunday Legal Briefs
Oct 17, 2021, 13:55
Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Oct 17, 2021, 13:55
Oct 17, 2021, 13:55

I definitely agree with this lawsuit in principle. That's sheer robbery by Canon as the "all-in-one" device is a collection of devices, and only one of those devices is a printer-- and a printer is not needed to scan a document, of course. Indeed, trying to use your printer to scan a document is guaranteed not to work, even if your printer has plenty of ink! You guys should read the comments on the hosting site--pretty funny. One guy even thinks not being able to scan because you ran out of ink is a "safety feature" that prevents birdbrain printer buyers from damaging their printers by attempting to print using dangerous "expired" ink...! Lord forbid, that we might ever...! Of course, all you have to do to lock up your cannon scanner in this all-in-one is run out of ink--being "expired" past the use-by date is not required!...;) Too funny!

But unfortunately, signing on to a class-action because of something like this is very close to doing nothing at all about it. Best advice is, as always, my favorite pair of dead-language words: caveat emptor....;) On the Canon USA site, there are 111 customer reviews there which garnered a whopping 2.3 favorability rating out of a possible 5.0...;) Says it all.

The more time we spend researching the pros and cons of a particular instance of the device we are shopping for, the less time will be spent afterwards wringing hands, tearing out gobs of thinning hair, wearing out keyboards writing enraged emails to middle store managers, screaming "Bloody fools!", etc....;)

The way it looks to me is that designing an all-in-one which refuses to scan because there is no ink available for printing is quite simply a manufacturer's defect. Not being able to scan-to-file is a fairly serious defect in a scanner, imo. Anyway, even if the class-action succeeds, the 4-lawyer firm will get ~90% of the proceeds, with the thousands of Cannon all-in-one customers in the class dividing the remaining 10% among themselves.

Re: Epic Welcomes Blockchain Games
Oct 16, 2021, 19:29
Re: Epic Welcomes Blockchain Games Oct 16, 2021, 19:29
Oct 16, 2021, 19:29

"Though Epic's not using crypto in our games, we welcome innovation in the areas of technology and finance."

I've heard that the innovation and technological advance behind counterfeiting and other types of fraud these days is incredible!...;) I think that Sweeney has bitten off more than he will be able to chew--opening the door here is a floodgate that will be sure to put Epic under the microscopes of law-enforcement agencies globally. It looks as if Epic's main rationale here is to differentiate himself from Newell's recent stance against blockchain at Valve--Steam won't touch it, and that's a very wise move, imo. Sweeney will find himself dragged into to all kinds of crap that apparently he cannot presently even imagine, and I have to say that is surprising and somewhat deflates my earlier opinion of the guy's business acumen, so to speak. Sweeney seems to be opening the door in saying that he will peddle blockchain software through other venues aside from the games Epic sells through its store.

This...

As a technology, the blockchain is just a distributed transactional database with a decentralized business model that incentivize investment in hardware to expand the database's capacity. This has utility whether or not a particular use of it succeeds or fails.

...sounds a lot like a common pyramid rationale construct or other kind of scheme philosophy to me, so I'm not sold on it. I'll have to side with Valve on this. Definitely. Nobody is going to dive into this on the strength of the *hardware* sales he thinks he can sell to house the database's growing capacities--don't need blockchain for that...;)

Re: Crysis Remastered Trilogy Review Guidelines Leaked?
Oct 16, 2021, 18:51
Re: Crysis Remastered Trilogy Review Guidelines Leaked? Oct 16, 2021, 18:51
Oct 16, 2021, 18:51

This is very easy to believe. Nothing earthshaking, of course--still, it's fun to see the game publisher's paranoia poking out every so often...! (My own paraphrasing is added for improvement.)

Don't Oversell the game on graphics--Just review the game instead of promoting it, if you want.
Don't talk about "hardware-breaking graphics software", because it doesn't exist.
Don't say anything about Ray Tracing on consoles.
Don't say "Multiplayer" because saying "single-player" is more accurate.
Don't mention "Warhead" as it isn't in the Trilogy. Just say, "Warhead is not a part of the remastered trilogy."
Don't mention that it's a "remake" of the games because it isn't. It's a remastered version of the games.
Don't mention AI upgrades because there aren't any.
Don't mention Quality of life improvements because there aren't any.

Do talk about what a great value the remastered trilogy would be for $19.99.
Do say that if you skipped the first remaster of Crysis you can skip it again or buy it as a part of the remastered trilogy.
Do highlight that at least one of the games can hit 60 fps at 4k on next-gen consoles with the right settings.
Do talk about what great single player games these are because they are not multiplayer.
Do talk about how the game plays smooth and looks better than it did on current-gen consoles when it is played on next-gen consoles whenever they ship.
Do talk about how good graphics on current consoles will perform on next gen consoles when they ship.

---Ah, yes, lots of fun to be had here...;)

Re: On Diablo II: Resurrected Server Woes
Oct 15, 2021, 09:55
Re: On Diablo II: Resurrected Server Woes Oct 15, 2021, 09:55
Oct 15, 2021, 09:55

Online/Offline single player has been near flawless so far...;) It's quite enjoyable.

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Oct 14, 2021, 10:37
Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 14, 2021, 10:37
Oct 14, 2021, 10:37

I don't know why people make such a fuss over extremely minor, short-term issues...;) First, the issue doesn't mean that nothing runs well on Win11--everything runs just fine, actually. Nothing I have comes close to being "hobbled" on my 3900X. People use the word "hobbled" without having a handle on the meaning there, for some reason. Hobbled is a strong word and a very dramatic word that doesn't fit here at all. But it brings in page hits...etc.

If not for benchmarks, few would even notice the issue, actually. I am glad it has been noticed, though! That's why it's being fixed so quickly. You may not recall it, but Microsoft was aiding AMD enormously when it came to 64-bit Windows & CPU driver support--at a time when Intel was paying off every Tom, Dick, and Harry it could "influence" not to sell anything made by AMD (eg, Dell most notoriously.) Microsoft was of huge help in supporting the original K7 CPUs when they debuted and knocked Intel from the performance throne for the first time. So Microsoft is definitely a good friend of AMD--that's not to say that Microsoft has not been a good friend to Intel, it's only to say that Microsoft has been a friend to both companies through the years. New OS tweaking often happens in the introductory period surrounding every new OS release I've used since MS-DOS in the '80's. And it's always remedied quickly because it is a minor issue. OS CPU drivers, especially these days when new CPUs are exponentially more complex than they were when CPUs actually were "x86" inside, always require tweaking after being launched to the masses. (Like so much else...;))

But the punchline? In a week or so, all of this will be history...;)

Re: Morning Metaverse
Oct 13, 2021, 10:10
Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 13, 2021, 10:10
Oct 13, 2021, 10:10

It's a good thing FB is *not* the Internet...;) What a nightmare that would be.

Re: Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Complication
Oct 11, 2021, 16:11
Re: Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Complication Oct 11, 2021, 16:11
Oct 11, 2021, 16:11

First thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers...;) Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2

And no, I do not buy the notion that it's a compliment to lawyers (only lawyers believe that.) Lawyers have been regarded as the bane of society in every country and culture for the last 2,000 years at least. The problem for lawyers is simply this: it makes no sense that it's a compliment, as the phrase strikes a nerve with anyone who has had any real experience with lawyers. If this was praise to lawyers, why, we'd all love the little buggers, wouldn't we?...;) When people use this phrase they aren't complimenting.

This looks exactly like a typical lawyer tactic. I guess they weren't happy with the settlement as their cut of it wasn't that big--so naturally they want more. Doesn't look as if they are going to get it, now that they've been exposed manipulating the system.

Re: GOG Pulls Hitman GOTY Over Online Requirements
Oct 9, 2021, 17:05
Re: GOG Pulls Hitman GOTY Over Online Requirements Oct 9, 2021, 17:05
Oct 9, 2021, 17:05

As long as people understand that buying a game for its online multiplayer element necessitates going online--it's fine. You would think everyone would clearly understand this...but not so, as I've read a few choice posts ranting about Gog's online multiplayer games requiring *gasp* an online connection (even if the single-player version of the game does not.) They think that's "DRM"...;) Next thing--they'll be criticizing Gog for requiring an online connection just to buy & download GOG games and manage your online Gog accounts...;) "Why can't GOG just mail it to me, or air-drop it into my yard? Surely this going online to download games is DRM!" Hope not.

Gog should sell "Hitman GOTY- minus Internet-required portions" sans the elements that require phoning home to Hitman's parent IO Interactive. Then, GOG could offer the extra bits free in a DLC for those who can live with the phoning home portions without going ape over it. I mean, I doubt the Steam version will be taking out the phoning-home requirements, unless IO Interactive decides to completely remove the requirements--which would be fine, too. Maybe as a result of this, IO Interactive will do exactly that!

Seems like lots of noise about next to nothing to me, though.

Re: Apple Appeals Epic Case Ruling
Oct 9, 2021, 16:42
Re: Apple Appeals Epic Case Ruling Oct 9, 2021, 16:42
Oct 9, 2021, 16:42

I often thank myself for steering clear of Apple for the last 35 years...;) Ugh.

Re: Wasteland 3: Cult of the Holy Detonation Released
Oct 5, 2021, 20:09
Re: Wasteland 3: Cult of the Holy Detonation Released Oct 5, 2021, 20:09
Oct 5, 2021, 20:09

One of the worst trailers ever made, I think...;) I wish them luck as it turned me away pretty quick. I constantly kept trying to reconcile Wasteland 3 with this trailer and asking myself if I was even thinking of the right game...! I think I will pass...!

Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 11, "Built for Gaming"
Oct 5, 2021, 10:28
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows 11, "Built for Gaming" Oct 5, 2021, 10:28
Oct 5, 2021, 10:28

The Relentless wrote on Oct 4, 2021, 20:10:
I've been using Windows 11 for the past 3 or 4 months. It is really VERY similar to 10. I don't have any issues using it for games. I'm not a power gamer trying to eek out every last FPS, but with my i9 9900, GeForce 2080, it plays just fine.

My experience, too--exactly. Runs my 30-year-old 16-bit games without any trouble at all, and of course I've seen no problems with the latest games. It's amusing to hear people complain...;) I'm on build 22468.1000--which you probably are, too, if you're in the Insiders group--it's way ahead of the build released to the masses today. Microsoft only bumped it to "11" because of raising the security baseline requirements just a wee bit. Complaints about that are also amusing, as I've been running the exact same requirements under Win10 for two years now. Only difference is that 11 requires them whereas 10 did not, but fully supported all of them. Upgrading on top of my previous Win10 installation was a snap.

Re: Google Stadia Premiere Edition Offer
Oct 3, 2021, 10:10
Re: Google Stadia Premiere Edition Offer Oct 3, 2021, 10:10
Oct 3, 2021, 10:10

Stadia always was for the free-lunch crowd. Somehow, something-for-nothing never turns out well in the end.

Re: Ian Fleming: Warlord of John Carter
Sep 29, 2021, 16:02
Re: Ian Fleming: Warlord of John Carter Sep 29, 2021, 16:02
Sep 29, 2021, 16:02

The Flying Penguin wrote on Sep 29, 2021, 10:02:
Absolutely the stupidest concept I have ever heard of. Hey, let's take two IPs that have nothing to do with each other, and mash them together!

It's fiction...;) What else is new?...;) Everyone's looking for that original tag, be it a game, a book, or a movie.

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Sep 27, 2021, 16:10
Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 27, 2021, 16:10
Sep 27, 2021, 16:10

jdreyer wrote on Sep 27, 2021, 14:23:
What Apple employee unrest over remote work says about the future of the office.

As someone who has spent half of a 20 year IT career working remotely, I will say that being in the office has definite benefits. It's easier to communicate and collaborate. If you're doing Agile, it's a lot more natural and easier in person. It's easier to get recognition from management from your work and who you are. I work at a 1400 person company and was on a first name basis with a few of the C-level execs in addition to a lot of the IT management. Everyone knew who I was and what I did. There are of course benefits to working from home: you can get more done, you have more free time since you have no commute, you have fewer interruptions (unless your wife lost her job due to COVID and constantly feels free to come in and ask you questions and help her do things. ). So I think that Apple has the right of it here: come in a few days a week. At my company all IT staff are now permanently WFH. Personally, I'd like to be at least one day a week in the office seeing my teams face to face (once this blows over). You can build relationships and integrate new team members easier that way.

Completely agree...home is the place I want to be after the work day...where I can forget about work, if possible. I don't think it is psychologically healthy for people to isolate themselves--by some accounts the covid isolation people engaged in has been much more harmful than the virus over the last year. Humans are social animals by nature...;)

Re: Older Game Versions No Longer Playable Through Steam
Sep 26, 2021, 10:56
Re: Older Game Versions No Longer Playable Through Steam Sep 26, 2021, 10:56
Sep 26, 2021, 10:56

JTW wrote on Sep 25, 2021, 17:18:
Valve is like Microsoft. They want to make those decisions for you....

I think you just described Apple, far more than Microsoft...;)

Re: Older Game Versions No Longer Playable Through Steam
Sep 25, 2021, 13:42
Re: Older Game Versions No Longer Playable Through Steam Sep 25, 2021, 13:42
Sep 25, 2021, 13:42

This is sort of strange--GoG offers older versions through Galaxy and the system works quite well. Perhaps this is just temporary on the part of Steam...?

Re: Game Reviews
Sep 25, 2021, 13:36
Re: Game Reviews Sep 25, 2021, 13:36
Sep 25, 2021, 13:36

Some people in the GOG universe think that if you buy a game with a multiplayer component that requires an online server for multiplay that it's "DRM"--which of course is total bunk...;) I've really been amazed to see that, actually. It's just nuts. You can't play online multiplyer on your own box sans the online part! How do they think the online multiplayer is supposed to happen--mental telepathy? I think it's really quite funny.

The Hitman complaint is similar, but not exactly the same. Still, it's the developer's call--and as GOG says, you can refund the game if you don't like it. A lot of GOG customers have no idea how the service works. For instance, a lot of them think Galaxy is DRM like Steamworks is used for DRM (even though many Steam games can be run from their executables because the developers opt out of DRM--Witcher 3 is one such title--there are quite a few), and that if you use Galaxy you must run the game through the Galaxy UI instead of directly from the game's exe--bypassing Galaxy entirely. So, they insist on only using manual exe files which GOG must prepare especially (Steam doesn't offer that service at all)--and they're always complaining because it takes GOG a couple of days after the devs release their patch through Galaxy to build the stand-alone exes. But, you can use Galaxy to download and install your games, and update them as well, automatically--and still run all of your GOG games from their native executables without Galaxy at all--exactly like with the manual-file installations! That's the way I do it--works great.

Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Released
Sep 24, 2021, 11:21
Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Released Sep 24, 2021, 11:21
Sep 24, 2021, 11:21

Still recall D2 on my 3dfx 5.5k and then V3 back in 2k, a decent experience...there's just something about the game that seems lacking in a lot of games today. I suppose I'll have to pick this up for nostalgia if nothing else. I spent quite some time playing the Median XL modded D2 a couple of years ago. Still fun--and, yes, the musical scores knocked it out of the park!
1614 Comments. 81 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    81  ] Older