Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 797 (Graduate)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 16, 2017, 15:05 WaltC

Uh, oh...Clinton Democrats will scream "Spies! Spies!" just because a company is located in Russia. Clinton thinks she's, how did she put it, "Paula Revere?" Hilarious delusions. What happened to Gas Powered Games, I wonder. Jettisoned? Last I heard the Wargaming owner had bought the company. Who would have thought that in the 21st Century the (D) party would want to fight the cold war all over again! Bah, humbug...;) Ugh...;) Let's give peace a chance, how about it.  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Will Lawbreakers Go Free-to-Play?
18. Re: Will Lawbreakers Go Free-to-Play? Oct 14, 2017, 23:10 WaltC

Don't much care what takes Cliffy B. off the stage for good, but I've always been somewhat sad (if that's the word) for Epic ever since the company started going so wrong so many years ago...

If you've got to give away a game to get people to play...it's just possible that not even pushing it as a freebie will help its really poor numbers... Epic with Cliffy B. bet the farm on consoles and lost--consoles are now low-end PCs and PCs are everything. Of course, a few tens-of-millions of us never forgot that--but Epic certainly did. Unreal on the PC put Epic on the map--it's just ironic to see the PC taking both Epic and Cliffy B. off the map, too, finally. Although, in other, more capable hands, the U4 Engine might amount to something besides a lukewarm tech demo and low-budget game engine--who knows?

Sweeney got off to such a great start with Unreal & Return to Nali. Classics--I still have 'em and crank 'em up every now and then for a nostalgic look at Epic's unrealized potential of those days. Ah, what could have been had Sweeney been capable of better judgment at the time!

I still remember reading what I thought at the time was one of Sweeney's most insightful quotes, when he said, paraphrased, "Eighty-ninety percent of the market is single-player, and I don't see that changing anytime soon." Of course, multiplayer is more popular today than it was then, but the thrust of that early Sweeney quote was spot on and still is. Wasn't long after that, though, before he'd dropped the PC as a development platform and even a target platform and started slummin' where there was simply less competition all the way around--a much less demanding hardware market--the consoles.

Then he came out with his hare-brained notion that in 20 years (just about now give or take a couple of years) CPUs and GPUs would merge into one giant multipurpose monster CGPU or GCPU--whichever...;), similar to the monstrous all-purpose, multi-device fad of the late 80's. Sweeney theorized that the death of the CPU and GPU as separate paradigms of design and manufacture was inexorable. For some reason he did not foresee what happened--the simple evolution and continuation of GPUs and CPUs on entirely separate but complementary design and development production tracks! Why he couldn't see the obvious has always puzzled me, but Sweeney couldn't. I was personally very disappointed with Epic's absolute and staggering lack of imagination and its chase after the quick buck with no thought of tomorrow, apparently. Now "tomorrow" is here and Epic's about a decade behind the curve, imo.

That's it--no more wasted nostalgia. OK, enough pining over yesteryear....;) Ugh!

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 11:52 WaltC

Timmeh wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 10:44:
We seriously need an complete main stream replacement for Microsoft. They have gone completely wacko out of control with windows 10 and the mandatory and predatory updates.

Nah, Media Player is still in 1709...It can be found in Control Panel/Programs & Features/Turn Windows Programs On or Off/Media Features/Windows Media Player. (Or you can follow the steps listed in the article to find it.) All they've done is make installing/uninstalling Media Player much simpler than it used to be. People get so confused when they simply move a few controls around, for some reason. I have no idea where the author got the idea Microsoft was dropping Media Player, though. I imagine they haven't announced dropping it because they aren't.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet...;) A lot of it is highly misleading.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 17:31 WaltC

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 16:52:
Musk is a big ideas man. He does not bother himself with details, like the island is already essentially bankrupt and like multiple people have mentioned the distribution system must be rebuilt. Not to mention the corrupt public officials that have blocked so much of the rebuild.

Good luck with that Elon.

More like a big con man...;) I've been amazed to see Musk "coming up" with idea after idea taken straight from 1950's and 60's "B" sci-fi...;) And it's all to pitch for more government loan guarantees...Musk is just the resident version of Solyndra who unfortunately won't go away...;) Just more fallout from the Obama administration's nuking of America.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 10:45 WaltC

Retired wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 10:14:
Live life and love it while you have it I guess. I will keep eating meat and drinking beer, because I enjoy it and it is tasty.

From the day we're born one absolute certainty materializes (well, two, if you count taxes)...;) Yep, we're all going die from *something*, sooner or later. I think people should be especially watchful of the politicization of medicine and science, though, because all of that has the potential to *really* mess up a person's life--and maybe bring that moment on much sooner than it would otherwise arrive. Anti-science notions like "Don't get vaccinated," and "You can choose your sex," etc., and many, many more, are real killers. Ignorance kills just as surely as drunk driving, imo.

News Comments > Emulation and the Law
14. Re: Emulation and the Law Oct 1, 2017, 12:28 WaltC

I have etched in my neutronium memory bubble interstice the frozen image of a triumphant, boastful Steve Jobs [rip] toasting the passage of the DMCA with champagne--they threw a party to celebrate many more customer-directed lawsuits to come! How Apple loves to sue at the drop of a hat--but when Apple breaks agreements and copyrights, don't ya' know, why, it's all just done out of "tribute" and to pay "homage." (Jobs' actual words.) Go ahead, take another bite from the poisoned Apple, a company dedicated to n00bs staying n00bs, forever...;) Ugh.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 25, 2017, 16:54 WaltC

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 14:22:
MeanJim wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 12:21:
Why can't they lay cable like that all over the US?

Because then they couldn't charge $100/month for 10mbits down, 1mbit up.

Also, laying new cable cuts into the Hookers and Blow Fund, so why bother since there's nowhere else for consumers to go.

Who is "they"?...;) Some of you guys are so cynical.

I live in the US, my ISP is Comcast, I get 110mBs/down & *up*, unlimited cap, great for Netflix and gaming, cable HD TV--several hundred channels of stuff, and unlimited landline phone service (no LD charges) for $60 per month for the whole package. I'm also on an EWAN in our apartment building for Internet--which definitely helps as I just plug into an RJ45 jack, no modem required. There's a jack in each room in the apartment, and this also supports the wife's Internet access for her separate computer as well--no more paying for separate IP addresses (Comcast dropped that years ago, unless you need it for commercial purposes.) Have a printer and Blue-Ray player on the Internet network as well. If you are paying an ISP $100 per month for 10mbits down, 1mbit up--you need to get a new ISP!

Unless, that is, you are talking about wireless phone service--which, for the Internet--is a gigantic rip off, imo. No way I'm ever falling into that n00b trap...;) They murder you on the hardware, and then they murder you on Internet fees--and caps as small as 5GB a month (which I will often do many times over in a single day.) No way!

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 23, 2017, 11:55 WaltC

For most Mac users, booting up is a "complex" endeavor...;) Apple prides itself on keeping its customers as dumb as possible.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 19, 2017, 16:00 WaltC

Internet of Things: welcome to the dumbing down of America, courtesy of Apple and the (D) party. It doesn't get any dumber than that. Ugh. Thank God I'm too old to be duped by either...;) Jobs and Obama had a lot in common as they are both snake-oil salesmen preying on the dumb and the inexperienced.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 19, 2017, 15:56 WaltC

Dacote wrote on Sep 19, 2017, 11:18:
So the creator of Pepe the Frog is defending his copyright against conservative racist trolls. Furie has hired intellectual property lawyers to defend his creation against misuse by racists, and he is winning.
Way to go dude, keep up the good fight.

That's especially amusing as it was liberal legacy news casters--re: ABC's Stephanopoulos AKA "Staphinfection", etc.--who first branded "Pepe the Frog" as a racist character and swore to bring Pepe down...;) Utter hogwash, of course. More fake news brought to us in living color by lunatic (D)s...! But the (D) party is certainly racist, if nothing else, and that's not fake news in the slightest. The only racists Pepe has to worry about are (D)'s who aren't shy about calling *anything* "a racist meme"...anything at all. (D)s love to define individuals according to their skin color--and it doesn't get anymore racist than that.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 19, 2017, 15:47 WaltC

MajorD wrote on Sep 19, 2017, 11:34:
Wow, it's mind boggling Intel has achieved 10nm processing, with that level of transistor density. Wow, just wow!

Yes, I well recall a similar announcement when Intel hit 90nm for the first time--they used it in all sorts of simple chips before it finally made its way to shipping cpu silicon, literally years later...;)

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 19, 2017, 08:32 WaltC

Nucas wrote on Sep 19, 2017, 05:06:
kill net neutrality and get it over with. i'm sick of the political kabuki, and millennials thinking they're actually going to stop the unelected officials at the FCC from doing what trump hired them to do.

let the metering, bandwidth throttling and price hikes begin.

“The FCC seems dead set on killing net neutrality, but they have to answer to Congress, and Congress has to answer to us, their constituents,” said Evan Greer, campaign director for Fight for the Future

sure. too bad you can't get millennials engaged with boring midterm voting. i'm sure the enraged thread on reddit will have a lot of upvotes though.

You guys are hilarious...;) Yep, we don't have "metering, bandwidth throttling and price hikes" now, apparently (except for cell phone Internet use--and 'NN would never touch that)...oh, but let's pass "net neutrality", anyway, just in case...;) It's surprising how people simply can't see what the real aim of the government is with all of that hogwash--it certainly wasn't to *advance the cause of the consumer*...;) (D)s support a plethora of straw men--run in constant fear of things that go bump in the night. Sad.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 18, 2017, 10:54 WaltC

Verno wrote on Sep 18, 2017, 10:41:
Surprised Vega didn't find a spot on there, its an awful arch.

So bad that apparently the lead guy at RTG is now on sabattical for a year.

The guy is taking a vacation--he's back in December. Yes, it's "mountain out of molehill" time again...;)

News Comments > Star Citizen Refund Story Disputed
4. Re: Star Citizen Refund Story Disputed Sep 14, 2017, 20:12 WaltC

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 19:40:
Derek Smart brigade playing evil shenanigans.

Yep...truly stupid people with nothing better to do than circulate fake news and imbecilic hate. Whew... These disgruntled customers are so amusing...KS customers still think, no matter how many times they are told the opposite, that when they contribute to KS programs they are actually buying *nothing at all.* There's no "pre-order" involved. There are no guarantees, no contracts--putting money in a KS is merely seeding a company and individuals you like/trust with seed money in the hopes they are able to accomplish what they started. With a KS, there are no promises made to anyone. IMO, only fund KS with people with solid reputations who have a lot to lose if their KS fails. I've funded a KS or two--and not been burned by following those recommendations. Quite the contrary, I have been more than pleased by the result.

OTOH, if you want to invest your money with an individual or company you've never heard of, that no one else has heard of, either, then never invest more than you can afford to lose. SC is making refunds and is still very much a going concern, accordingly. When KS's fail, however, usually the principal involved escapes with the money--free and clear and 100% legal, that's true.

Why a few of these SC KS people are so full of angst and hate for SC beats me. SC is a game so ambitious that no publisher anywhere would attempt to underwrite it--because it takes far too long for a publisher's comfort. If and when the game is finished, and if and when it meets the goals it is trying to reach, it is definitely going to be one-of-a-kind, and we can thank not only the developers for it, but also the KS investors who stayed the course. Well, that's my opinion, only, of course...;)

News Comments > $45K Star Citizen Refund?
4. Re: $45K Star Citizen Refund Sep 14, 2017, 10:50 WaltC

VoodooV wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 10:44:
I prefer to remain anonymous as the guild can easily be linked back to my personal identity, and we all know how insane and potentially dangerous the few remaining Star Citizen believers can be.

uh...yeah...sure. Yeah I call BS on this.

Sounds like it's fake, I agree. Could be Derek Smart, or could be a disgruntled customer wanting to call Roberts a liar...;)

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer
7. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer Sep 13, 2017, 13:00 WaltC

Looking forward to this one...!  

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer
6. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Sep 10, 2017, 17:01 WaltC

Rhett wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 14:43:
It's very similar gameplay-wise, but more options. Strongest spells now use a resource called "Source", which has various ways of being acquired, but isn't automatically generated in combat or anything.

D:OS 2 also handles quests much better IIRC, with easier to read notes and logs so you can figure out what you should be doing.

"Source" and "Sourcery" featured prominently in the first game--indeed, you were a "Source Hunter" initially in the beginning of D:OS. Just four more days until D:OS 2. EA looks good, but hasn't been updated since May and is still an alpha--actual game should be much improved, of course.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer
5. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer Sep 10, 2017, 16:57 WaltC

Frijoles wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 12:35:
Neat. Afraid I'm not that clever though. Anyone playing? Is it the same as the first game? I never got close to finishing it. The EA version might be better for me since it's only a few hours long I've read.

Besides Steam, it is also available on GOG, where I bought it yesterday. Very nice, but the game that will be released on 9/14 will be much different as the Early Access version hasn't been updated since *May* and is still alpha--aside from spanning only a few hours of the opening game play...! In the game released in four days *all* of the audio--every single line--has a voice actor behind it! Should be significantly different than the EA. I played the first one through at least three times, as memory serves--basically, I started over every time a major patch was released, as well.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
5. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 9, 2017, 15:53 WaltC

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 9, 2017, 13:45:
Reason #372 to never shop at BestBuy.

More fallout from idiot (D)s--& Hillary Clinton. Incredibly stupid. It's "morons 'R us" when (D)s rule...Very sad...

News Comments > Destiny 2 Microtransactions?
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 4, 2017, 19:01 WaltC

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 16:14:
Cutter wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 14:22:
Why doesn't the community make it's own skins with the editor like all good PC games (used to do)? Oh wait!

Multiplayer would be nothing but neon green TankJR's with massive tits and robo-dong, that's why.

Nah...the game publishers just want us to pay for it, is the only difference...;) Building a good game with a great, mod-friendly engine and nice modding tools-- so that people will be standing in line to buy and mod your next game, too--well, that's not good enough, anymore! Now, publishers have this bright idea to corrupt and control the mod scene, too, because 2M customers buying the game isn't enough without 2 million more customers also paying extra to create the mods for it--and in the process killing the game over the long haul by nickel-ing and dime-ing it into the grave! Typical publisher thought processes:

"Customers love buying our games to mod them! Great! Let's make them stop, eh?"

Morons...;)

Imagine a game so fantastic in every respect that no one one wants to mod it because they can see no way to improve upon it as it sits! Ever heard of that? Me, either, and we never will...:) The closest game meeting that description that I've ever played is The Witcher 3, but I've even installed a few mods there, myself...! Still, the Witcher 3 is the new global bar for RPGs--nobody does it better than CDPR--and really, no one else comes close, atm. What's the point of creating a game if it doesn't represent the very highest effort and achievement from the developer? CDPR gave it their best--their all--and man does it ever show! CDPR puts everyone else to shame.

Publishers and developer's--other than CDPR--idea of the quintessential Super Mod:

Bethesda's High-Res textures Mod for Skyrim, remember that one? Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha...;) I remember when they released that--I thought, "I'm sorry? You call this a 'high-res texture mod'"? It was pitiful--not worth the time it took to install it.

Modding is a lot of fun, and with games like Bethesda's Skyrim it turns the game into something at least passable--all that work that people other than the developer have done to improve Skyrim--and what an improvement the mods make over the base game as released by Bethesda!

So I'm wondering if the release of W3 has simply forced Bethesda to quit and throw in the towel--and I'm wondering if Bethesda has simply quit even trying to make an RPG to compete with the likes of the Witcher3...? Here's hoping CDPR lights a fire under some rear ends and kicks some sense into these half-arsed developers! Here's hoping we see them move from amateur status into the pros where they can join the ranks of CDPR--pretty much, CDPR is far, far ahead of the global gaming pack in terms of making professional products that represent the absolute best their makers were capable of delivering! Excellence is obvious whenever it appears! But so is mediocrity.

797 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo