Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 1132 (Pro)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Rune II Released; Human Head Closes

15. Re: Rune II Released; Human Head Closes Nov 13, 2019, 19:17 WaltC

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 18:51:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 15:41:
Wait. If they're closing, and they're the publisher, who's getting the money? Epic?

The management I imagine. Bethesda didn't buy the Rune IP and they also didn't buy Human Head, they just hired all the employees to help start a new studio from scratch that they wholly own.

This was clearly something they planned to do for a long time. I thought the whole point of Epic exclusivity bribes was to provide financial cushioning so devs didn't have to risk going under if their game didn't sell. That's what both Sweeney and several devs have said. On top of this, their Twitter statement said the game has exceeded their day one sales expectations. Big deals with Bethesda don't happen overnight so this really looks like the management just took as much money as they could, shoved the game out the door and are now bailing out with the riches. Anyone who wants to see this game on consoles or something not the Epic store, don't count on it.

They claim the game will continue to get support but don't lay out how that's going to work when none of the employees work for the company any more and Bethesda's not going to want them spending time on their payroll supporting a game they don't own. If I were anyone who bought this rushed mess, I'd refund it and wait to see if they actually do step up and support it. If they do, buy it again.

This game was an "exclusive" in the EGS? Holy cow--no wonder I hadn't heard much about it. If they took Sweeney's money and ran, then I guess all I can say is "Good for them"...;) Geez--What they did with Rune was bizarre, I would have thought--apart from seeing the game as a huge kludge--that Sweeney would have been a tad more discriminating about going about writing up financing for stuff like this--but hey, it's his money and throwing it away is his prerogative. No one expects an "exclusive" to be thoroughly shoddy, eh? Wonder if Sweeney will learn something here...I hope so. Why he's trying to get into the distributor end like *this* beats me--he would be better off spending his money providing features and benefits for his *customers*--people like us who buy way more games than is really good for us...;) Game developers writing disposable toilet-paper code are just not going to do very much for him--you'd think he would know. Wouldn't you? But maybe not--like writing, the game dev business is a lonely occupation in some respects.

Thanks for the info--much appreciated! Wonder if anyone would have bought this game had they known that on the day of the game's release the developer was going out of business, eh?

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rune II Released; Human Head Closes

13. Re: Rune II Released; Human Head Closes Nov 13, 2019, 18:59 WaltC

Unsurprising...These guys couldn't hold a spark to the GoD's roaring flames --the guys who created the original Rune we all know and love many years ago. The only thing I ever saw these guys do with "New Rune" (like new Coke..;)) was try and hack in some very rugged/ragged stuff into the original Rune game--and they did a pretty bum job of it, too--which is why the "improved" *cough* versions of Rune never got to first base. I wish these guys luck at Bethesda--but it will take a few years of hard work to get where they need to be to competently improve what the GoD did with the ancient Unreal engine so long ago--Rune is a classic masterpiece, imo, a proper use of the Unreal Engine--one of those games you never forget. I still fire it up now and then for a few moments--yes, you never forget it until some guys like HHS come along and try to improve it--and practically ruin it, instead. Not really trying to be critical here, but...it has to be said...what they did to Rune stands out as the most amateurish work I may have ever seen--and then they tried to sell it! Sucker and softy that I am--I bought their game just to see what they were doing! Glad to help--I got on the forum and tried to express a few basic points for them--but it was like talking to a telephone pole. To close your door on the eve of the release indicates what a stinker Rune II must be. This is reminds me so much of the guys who took the decent code from the Two Worlds II game and made what amounts to a couple of homemade mods using the graphics and sound assets from TWII--I mean I've seen better amateur mods than that! Terrible with a capital T. Except for the fact that the TWII "expansion" guys couldn't claim a fraction of the bonafides HHS is claiming--yet the work looks eerily just as amateurish.

But what happens to Rune now, I wonder? Will the source die in some HHS trashcan somewhere? What are these people *thinking*--you cannot create a AAA game like it's a mod you do at home on the weekends by leeching off the original game assets!......;) I've said enough--I don't like to kick when someone is down--and that isn't what this is. But nobody deserves to ride on the coattails of these classic old games when they are clearly unable to create anything on a par with them--especially the Rune case. I can't recall Prey but I daresay the studio that did the lobotomy on Rune was *not* the studio that created the original Prey--maybe in name only, I guess.

If the game was half as good as the trailer they've be popping champagne corks instead of closing their doors! The game must be even worse than I'm guessing. I hate to see it--but after their "New Rune" fiasco I have no trouble understanding what happened.

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2019, 13:03 WaltC

Also--I see that AI is still a buzzword popular with marketing departments everywhere...;) "AI" is simply computing as we've always known it--garbage-in, garbage-out. Like your desktop at home, "AI" is not sentient, of course, and does not "think"--is not even "conscious" etc. But, as a marketing buzzword for the braindead among us, "AI" still gets a few people all hot, bothered, and worked up as if "AI" actually is both sentient and capable of thought, conscious or otherwise...;) (They've watched too many reruns of the HAL 9000 movies, for sure...;))  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 13, 2019, 12:52 WaltC

Sort of like the Energizer Bunny, the list of Intel's cpu-architecture holes & bugs keeps on growing, and growing, and growing...;) And those are just the ones ID'ed by all sources and patched (or ignored--as the case may be) by Intel to date. Seems an almost inexhaustible supply of bugs/holes that never ceases to amaze. We are very close to proving the notion that Intel's current x86 CPU architectures are fundamentally flawed. Intel has far more than 10nm production processes to worry about--its base x86 CPU architecture needs to be completely redesigned and rebuilt from the bottom up, much like AMD has done with Zen1/+/2, in fact--else moving to 10nm and below will be of scant help to the company, imo. It really goes without saying that Intel must do both looking ahead, to remain competitive.  

News Comments > BioShock Speculation

15. Re: BioShock Speculation Nov 13, 2019, 12:35 WaltC

aka_STEVE wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 10:39:
please do NOT make a Bioshock mmo-style -as a service game.....

Agreed. They're always looking for that Fortnite "competitor" it seems. Fortnite reminds me of what I think "The Sims with Guns" would look like--ugh....;)

News Comments > Morning Mobilization

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 13, 2019, 12:26 WaltC

"Return of the Mac", I think. Instead of "Mack"....;) Why buy a Mac at all? is the obvious question.  

News Comments > Obsidian: Pillars of Eternity III Uncertain, Would Require Changes

6. Re: Obsidian: Pillars of Eternity III Uncertain, Would Require Changes Nov 11, 2019, 14:45 WaltC

I bought both games, but the problem with Pillars 2 was likely Pillars 1, in certain respects. Not only did it take ~6-9 months to finish Pillars 1 after the first installment shipped, but there was a lengthy period of patches that followed the completed game. Still, Pillars 1 seemed rough around the edges to me even after the final patch. Parts of the game played like a mod--and a not very good mod, either, imo. The various episodes/locales in the game did not flow--they were discordant and jarring, imo. On top of that, check the history of Pillars 2--which was also episodic, just like the first one, and also required substantial patching for a year. Finally, turn-based was put into the P2 game which imo greatly improved it--but it took a long time to get there!

Pillars 2 is the better game by far, imo. But it took so long to get there, and it was episodic in development, just like Pillars 1. I personally don't like episodic development, and so I waited until all three chapters in both games had been released before buying the complete games. And in Pillars 2, as I mentioned, the far-superior turn-based mode didn't make it until way late. The other problems with Pillars 2 were that early on the first episode of the game was horribly written--it was verbose in the extreme--there were basic mistakes made even in the game's introduction! Things like showing a graphical image of a little unimportant gnome in the introduction and then having the narrator read a flowery description of that same face--were very poorly done. Eventually they fixed 90% of what was wrong in the original P2 introduction--but they didn't fix it all, I guess is the point.

Look at Outer Worlds...nice game--but restricted to EGS and the Microsoft store, exclusively--a turn-off to me--taking the EGS deal says to me that the publisher has no confidence in the game. Again, another false/bad start, although I think OW looks like a polished gem in comparison to how the P1 and P2 games initially shipped--especially P2. I think that Obsidian has really great game concepts--some of the best in the industry--but their distribution schemes are poor, as they are tied to the episodic nature of the Pillars releases--just a poor way to do it. First impressions are of critical importance for a game--and Pillars 2 massacred the first impressions of the game--and P2 could never overcome it.

Last, Obsidian is being short-sighted as well. Today, the really successful game devs keep on working for years on their IP because they know they can sell it far into the future--but not with a bunch of flaws and bugs, etc. Obsidian only actually got Pillars 2 shipshape after it had been shipping for more than year--and yet they seem ready to conclude it's a poor seller. Very short-sighted, self-limiting views, imo. You won't see CDPR or Larian with such views. Quite the contrary.

News Comments > Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar

4. Re: Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar Nov 10, 2019, 16:15 WaltC

A truly bizarre effort--I still have no idea what the "game" actually is, although I've downloaded and attempted to "play" a couple of the demo versions--with little luck. I get emails from them regularly, and sometimes follow the links out of sheer curiosity--"dance parties" and "fishing contests" and etc. Stuff about as appealing to me as re-enrolling in kindergarten. "Shroud of the Avatar" seems a particularly apt name--as in "death shroud"...;) Never could find the Avatar, and no semblance to a single-player plot or game. Garriott always was vastly overrated, imo, and apparently he was merely a figurehead used here to raise money. So the President of Portlarium (not Garriott oddly) founds a new company and transfers what assets there may be into his new company, Catnip. The purpose? I considered the original KS up until Garriott said that the game would be produced in five "episodes"--that was enough for me to bail. Did they ever finish the first episode?  

News Comments > etc.

20. Re: etc. Nov 7, 2019, 17:48 WaltC

Kxmode wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 16:28:
On a list of the worse things, a congressman shaming Blizzard for Letting Nazis Run Wild in 'World of Warcraft' is near the top. And by worse, I mean facepalm-wrong on so many levels.

Yep, No one but a (D) these days--they see Russians under every bed, Nazis and white supremacists running wild in computer games--these people are extremely sick in the head, imo...;) They've come to believe their own propaganda...!

News Comments > Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only

18. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 3, 2019, 14:26 WaltC

Didn't buy D3 because of the online DRM actually built into the game structure!--looks like I won't be buying D4, either. No loss, really.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 3, 2019, 11:17 WaltC

Never fear--the Zen 2 architecture was born back in July--so it's four months old. Game engines are only now beginning to be optimized for Zen 2, whereas the Intel architectures are several years old and all the game engine optimization that can be done for them has already been done. And whereas Intel architectures are patched and patched again for a wide variety of security vulnerabilities--AMD's Zen 2, being a much newer architecture design--doesn't have those vulnerabilities. IMO, no one should be buying existing Intel CPUs atm for gaming--the longevity is not good, among other things...;)  

News Comments > No Ray Tracing in PC RDR2; Preview Roundup

7. Re: No Ray Tracing in PC RDR2; Preview Roundup Nov 1, 2019, 16:49 WaltC

Cutter wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 16:23:

Same. I'm finding OW pretty bleh TBH. It's ok but I'm sure glad I didn't buy it. I'm pretty amped for RDR2 however.

I'm still trying lasso OW through my xbox game Pass PC three-month subscription--so far, no luck--game will download--but simply stops all activity at 37.12GB downloaded...;) I've tried all of the suggestions I have Bing/Googled--nothing. The problem is with the Game Pass software, definitely.

News Comments > Australian Fallout 76 Refund Fallout

10. Re: Australian Fallout 76 Refund Fallout Nov 1, 2019, 16:44 WaltC

Getting money out of ZeniMax is like squeezing blood out of a turnip...;) Always glad to see it happen, though, for some reason I can't even recall!...;) Something they did....way back when...Instread of "amending the documents"--why doesn't ZeniMax just "amend" the software and fix it! Seems like FO76 has been troubled since its start. I read enough about that to stay away from it, fortunately.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Launch Trailer

1. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Launch Trailer Oct 31, 2019, 13:42 WaltC

Nice looking 4k trailer....;)  

News Comments > New Steam Library Launches

19. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 10:01 WaltC

Meh...once I changed the display mode to small (I really don't need giant game box pics to ID my games), it was "OK." Nothing special though--'bout the same, really--which was sort of surprising. Sort of.  

News Comments > EA Games Returning to Steam

12. Re: EA Games Returning to Steam Oct 29, 2019, 12:24 WaltC

How's that Origin working out for your there, EA? Not so hot? Remove your DRM and you might even qualify for GOG...;)  

News Comments > Epic Sues Fortnite Tester over (Spoiler Alert) Spoilers

7. Re: Epic Sues Fortnite Tester over (Spoiler Alert) Spoilers Oct 26, 2019, 21:34 WaltC

MeanJim wrote on Oct 26, 2019, 19:25:

I'm curious to know exactly what damages Epic has sustained and will continue to sustain from this? Are people not going to play their free game because of this leak?

Exactly what I was going to ask...;) I imagine Epic will have a difficult time proving financial damages. "I was going to buy Fortnite until I read this guy's leak about all of the neat stuff coming up in the game--and I immediately changed my mind about buying it, even though it's a free game...uh, because who wants a better, improved version of that game? Not me! If it's not worse then I'm not interested in buying it--er, downloading it for free..." That won't fly as damages, and without being able to prove damages Epic has nowhere to go. Epic can't even sue for court costs, because Epic filed the suit! And a "trade secret" that ceases to be a trade secret when the updated version of the game ships is hardly a trade secret--and the guy Epic is suing didn't even misappropriate any code, apparently. And, actually, Epic's best move would have been to say nothing about the leak, imo, and simply cut ties with the guy. But the way it appears now it's as if Epic is its own worst enemy here, its conduct drawing national attention in what would have been strictly a local matter! Very weird reaction to what seems a tiny breach Epic could have denied or ignored publicly in light of the fact that any fiscal damage to Epic--other than it's own behavior in the matter--seems like it's next to impossible to prove.

News Comments > The Outer Worlds Released

33. Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 25, 2019, 19:12 WaltC

Qbex . wrote on Oct 25, 2019, 18:45:
Game is great so far, v funny, good writing and atmosphere. From first minutes in character generator you got this feeling playing successor to fallout 1 and 2 in spirit, I love it.
HDR is in the ini files settings but not officially in the options yet, my guess its coming.

As for buying - I'm really perplexed that its not been talked about here more. Get it on xbox beta app in windows 10 store.
Its fucking awesome 1 buck for first month, then 5 for next ones- that includes shitton of big quality AAA games for you to locally download, install and play, plus as many high quality indie. I have been pretty much exclusively playing games there for last four months and fired up steam maybe few times to check deals etc. The amount of games on xbox beta at the moment is massive. With new titles being added weekly and only one or two (usually ones no one care anyway) disappearing. This service is great for trying new games I would never consider as well. I even bought few on steam after trying to get all dlcs etc. Just check the games lineup here

I finally decided to activate my 90-day Game Pass tonight for Outer Worlds. The AMD verification tool told me I had the hardware, but "Gee, we're sorry to be all out of coupons! Please contact support to ask for an extension."....;) Oh, joy. Well, this must be relatively common for them as they supplied a handy link to take me to where I needed to be to get my "extension"! We'll see! One thing, though--if the game is mod friendly then I will likely buy it after it hits Gog. Don't know if the Steam version is DRM'ed in any way. Yes, this looks like something way above Obsidian's usual paygrade....;) Although Deadfire was a huge step up from PoE1, I thought--and PoE1 wasn't bad--only thing I didn't like was the sound track--some of the scores put me to sleep...(well, not really, but close enough!)

News Comments > Morning Mobilization

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 25, 2019, 13:22 WaltC

"Augmented reality glasses" from Apple is ironic and amusing as Apple was always the home of the undisputed RDF king...;) (Steve Jobs, RIP, was often accused of radiating a Reality Distortion Field wherever he went. I never saw any reason to believe otherwise.)  

News Comments > Out of the Blue

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2019, 13:12 WaltC

Sorry to hear of the passing of your father-in-law. Mine died a few years ago and I really liked the guy a lot. Commiseration.  

1132 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >