Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 929 (Graduate)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. removed Jan 18, 2019, 19:04 WaltC

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 18, 2019, 20:44.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Patches
3. Re: Morning Patches Jan 18, 2019, 16:06 WaltC

[quote="Nimh"Jan 18, 2019, 11:01"8716uake 2 with ray tracing is smokin hot.. I'd love to see this in Minecraft and couple other low poly titles as well.
Ah, yes, if only it was *ray tracing*...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 18, 2019, 13:07 WaltC

D3d12 runs extremely well for me in Win10x64...I particularly like multi-GPU support in games like ShadowoftTombRaider--works extremely well. My RX-590/480 8GB Crossfire support scales to almost exactly 100% of the frame-rate I see with just the 590 by itself in the included benchmark @ 3840x2160. I get ~33 fps with the 590; 62 fps with the 590/480, with all of the good eye-candy turned on. I was also impressed to see that CD has also back-engineered RiseoftTombRaider to use D3d12 and multi-gpu support. It sounds like the Div2 will be utilizing multi-gpu support in the d3d12 engine, too, from the text--sort of surprising to see that this question was not asked, though, in the interview. It's certainly a major feature of D3d12.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 17, 2019, 15:09 WaltC

The ratio of fake news stories from the NYT, WaPo, and CNN is about 1000-1 over fake news from Russia...;) Nothing like "looking for fake news in all the wrong places"...;)  

News Comments > Can You Actually See Ray Tracing?
4. Re: Can You Actually See Ray Tracing? Jan 15, 2019, 11:25 WaltC

Rasterization is what all 3d GPUs are built to do--and what is it? It's simulated ray-tracing, essentially...;) Rasterization is the attempt to simulate the visual results of actual ray-tracing, but in an incredibly tiny amount of the time that actual ray-tracing takes. Whereas actual ray-tracing can take minutes to hours to days for just one frame to render, a GPU can ~98% match the visual results of ray-tracing in as little time as 1/60th of a second, or less (60-144 fps, etc.)!

That's what 3d GPUs strive to do, and they are getting better at it each generation. So-called "real-time ray tracing" today in gaming GPUs is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. That's why nVidia couldn't even include real-time demos of its RTX products doing ray-tracing even with its $1300 RTX GPUs--but instead only a lame 2d videoclip of actual ray-traced frames that were pre-rendered on several expensive Volta systems. nVidia is keeping mum on just how long it took to pre-render those frames, too...;) They certainly were not rendered at 60 fps with an RTX product...that's the only absolute fact we know at this point.

The only people falling for the RTX gimmick are people who know absolutely nothing about ray-tracing and how it works, and so are sitting ducks for this sort of dishonest advertising. At best, these expensive gpus may accomplish some extremely limited ray-tracing on five or ten pixels in each frame--the so-called "ray-traced effects"--but even then the frame-rate is halved--and as this article points out, it isn't at all clear what's ray-traced versus what is rasterized...;) nVidia's only response thus far about the huge performance drop for such a lack-luster visual return is to suggest to game devs that they lower the already microscopic amount of actual ray-traced pixels their RTX products are attempting to render with the so-called Tensor cores...;)

All of this means only this: do not buy any RTX product because of real-time ray tracing, because it's absent to any meaningful degree detectable with the human eye. You are *not* going to get anything close to what the advertising suggests you are going to get. If you buy one--buy it for *other reasons* or you will come to regret it. Caveat Emptor.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
6. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 17:25 WaltC

People may finally be coming to fully understand that while there is a lot of stuff you can do with a desktop computer that you cannot do at all with a pocket cell phone, it's also much, much less expensive to go online with that desktop than it is to do it--or maybe "try to do it" is more accurate--via a wireless cell-phone Internet connection. I mean, the wireless carriers have had a field day, imo, gouging people for years for Internet service nowhere as fast, reliable, and secure as a decent wired desktop connection at home--and the cell-phone users pay through the nose for all of that inferior service and connectivity. (So what qualifies these products as "smartphones"?--should be "dumbphones" for some people..;))

How about data caps--I've seen them as meager as 5GBs a month for some phone plans--can't remember my last data cap for my wired service at home. How about Internet fees assessed every month whether you use the Internet or you don't--on top of the already ridiculous monthly charges and fees the "smartphone" demands. Right now at home I have the fastest, best, and most secure Internet service I've ever had--and I cannot believe how inexpensive it is--and not just compared to a smartphone--but also compared with my old 14.4k modem days..;)

If this is indeed a trend then I welcome it, wholeheartedly. Cell phones--portable phones--aren't going to go away, of course...that will never happen, and I would not want to see that happen! But what seems to be happening is that people are coming to grips with the fact that the highest and best use of so-called smartphones is as a...(drumroll)...cell phone!...;) Best use of a smartphone is really as a dumbphone--you need the phone, not the Internet access...;)

That is actually the way I handle it these days (for the last few years, actually) and the money I'm saving is significant along with a frustration curve that barely registers. I feel like a bird out of a cage. I simply get what I need from the Internet before I leave home but take the dumbphone with me for emergencies and things like--you know--phone calls, etc...;)

Really, I have nothing against Apple except for the fact that I see the company as a fad manufacturer and the company does basically the same thing whenever it has a product hit on its hands--big hits are rare from Apple--but it does happen, as it did with the iPhone. First come all the Apple lawsuits against competitors to try and stop the entire global market from competing with whatever thingamajig Apple is trying sell in an artificially created monopoly market atmosphere which Apple alone controls...;) Of course, this tactic--positively guaranteed from Apple--simply doesn't work. Apple's competitors do know how to manufacture competitive products even if Apple doesn't--so they keep plugging away until the comparative Apple products are obviously inferior and obviously not as good a buy as the other-than-Apple products in the product class. And then it's rinse and repeat for Apple as it tries to find a new fad that will sell hugely as a major hit--and then the lawsuits and the falling behind will begin again.

They tried it with the Apple watch...;) Wow, imagine shelling out $10k for an Apple watch filled to the brim with $30.00 Casio circuitry! I had to laugh out loud at the A watch. The people who did that--and there were a few of them to be sure--are the perfect "dumbphone" candidates, imo. SO the watch is done--what's next? Who knows? All I know is that if it's from Apple I'm not going to be much interested in it!

(Wow what a post but it's a lazy Sunday and I had some free time this p.m...;))

News Comments > Resident Evil 2 1-Shot Demo
15. Re: Resident Evil 2 1-Shot Demo Jan 13, 2019, 11:00 WaltC

Take a look at the Shadow of the Tomb Raider demo released recently--now that's the way to do a demo, imo.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Jan 11, 2019, 23:35 WaltC

That "game-changers" article is about the dumbest collection of silly words I've read in a long time...;)

"The downfall of preordering"...? Sorry but preordering has never had an "upside" that I am conversant with. Every time you preorder a game before the first review has surfaced--even in Outer Mongolia--you flip a coin. Here again, the author bitterly complains that some people have 100% freedom to preorder or not to preorder, as the case may be.

Poo on Blizzard for looking after its own IP--instead of giving it away to anyone who might want it--sure, just ruinous...;) (I stopped WOW right after the game went multiplayer online many years ago.)

Batman is a criminal because it/he was a bad game--gosh never heard of that happening anywhere! Just ruinous.

Here's another bad game released that the author can't get his mind wrapped around: ET all by itself ruined the entire video-game industry for at least a decade. (1983 had no "videogame industry" unless you want to talk about arcade kiddie parlors.) '83 predated the launch of the Amiga by three years--and it wasn't until 1990 that the entire installed global base for PCs hit an estimated 10M installed PCs--yep, that's global! Not much at all there for a "video-game industry" in 1983...;) The monster market that sells that many PCs in a slow *week* exists today but was but a gleam in the eyes of a few programmers in 1983!

Star Citizen has "tainted" crowdfunding--since crowdfunding is 100% voluntary, I can't see the problem for those that want to crowdfund. Crowdfunding is far, far more "tainted" by the many Kickstarter projects that take the money and run, imo! SC is still here, releasing software, and the crowd is still funding.

Season passes are horrible because they are 100% voluntary and nobody has to buy one, ever. Just ruinous, I tell you...;)

Star Wars battlefront 1 and 2. Author thinks the release of those two games has made gaming worse--although I have never been so much as tempted to purchase either game...;) This guy thinks "EA" used to be a "bastion of good ideas"?...In which universe might that be? Time for a Gomer Pyle "Gawwwww-leeeee!" chorus.

***Always fun to read these kinds of articles written by people who just turned twelve, and who apparently learned everything they know about computer gaming from the back of a Cracker Jack box...!...;)

News Comments > Epic Games Store Updates Refund Policy
3. Re: Epic Games Store Updates Refund Policy Jan 11, 2019, 22:54 WaltC

Emulating GOG would be far superior, imo.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 7, 2019, 13:19 WaltC

'Gee, nVidia, if you could do Real-Time Ray-Tracing at less than $300, Jeez, why didn't you just say so the first time?!".../s/s/s/s....(There isn't enough sarcasm on earth to be applied to nVidia's latest foray into 'GPU advertising for n00bs and the developmentally challenged.' (So much for the notion of 'truth in advertising' laws, eh?)...;) A sucker a day keeps the creditors away, right, nVidia? Keep those suckers coming! Nexxxxxt...!...;)  

News Comments > G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors
8. Re: G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 7, 2019, 13:08 WaltC

Gsync was ever only another rip-off by "green-with-envy" (TM), to try and lock people into nVidia GPUs though their expensive G-sync monitor purchases (Like Dell once tried to lock people into Dell PSUs by making them with custom, non-standard wiring harnesses that served no practical purpose apart from locking Dell motherboard owners into Dell PSUs permanently. It did nothing to improve the power to Dell boxes, it just became a hardware dongle for Dell PSU's, etc. ( It takes a devious mind to come up with this stuff--the sort of "engineering" that Apple has long preferred, etc.) AMD stated years ago at the dawn of Freesync that nVidia was free to adopt FreeSync at any time without charge and that AMD hoped would become the industry standard! Free and open! nVidia was having none of that, of course, oh no...;) If nVidia can't charge 4x as much for something that is almost as good, it's rejected by the Green-with-Envy team, every time...;) You can--er, rather NVidia can take that to the bank. nVidia is also a master of taking credit for things already in other products, things put there by other companies, things like, "full refresh rate range from 1 Hz to the display panelís maximum rate, plus other advantages like variable overdrive, refresh rate overclocking, ultra-low motion blur display modes and industry-leading HDR with 1,000 nits, full matrix backlight and DCI-P3 color"--capabilities already in the monitors, etc.! nVidia--ever trying to horn in on everyone else's parties.  

News Comments > More Alien Teasing
7. Re: More Alien Teasing Jan 6, 2019, 17:42 WaltC

"Alien", then next, "Aliens", were two of the creepiest, scariest sci-fi shockers ever made, imo--they still hold water after all of these years. I was in the theater during the first US theater release of Alien--and my girlfriend at the time had actually bought me the Alien "book"--an advance short-story officially released to tell the story of the movie. I read it (which I usually don't ever do prior to a film--but I was curious this time.) I even read through the part where the Alien parasite forces its way up and out of John Hurt's chest. Even so, When it happened on screen it was so dramatic and unexpected that my hand involuntarily squeezed closed, sending my large coke high in a fountaining geyser that drenched both of us--and we howled like banshees then laughed and gibbered uncontrollably! Everyone in the packed theater let loose in some capacity along with us! Priceless moment--never forget it!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 4, 2019, 16:50 WaltC

Caveat Emptor. Live by it, buy by it...;) Salespeople will always, always seek to increase their commissions by selling through sleight of hand or manipulation or simple, straightforward deceit. Sales persons will not represent your interests as a customer, and it matters not how many laws are passed or how many AG's use these nearly universal incidents to expand their political profiles (like Ellison, et al.)

In fact, for the last century, at least, politicians from both parties have promised over and over again to end deceitful practices in the marketplace--and yet they never do. Of course not--if politicians actually *solved* problems there would be no "issues" for them to run on, eventually, so God forbid anything really gets fixed! The sad fact is that most politicians and bureaucrats *hate* any politician who comes along and actually tries to *solve* problems as opposed to exacerbating them--which is why there are so few of the good guys and so many more of the bad guys!

The enduring fact is that no one will ever represent your interests as a consumer better than you can represent yourself, and it is *wrong* to think otherwise--you are just kidding yourself. No, "they" will not protect you. Perish the thought!...;) "They would never permit this or that," is a comfort and a balm to most people, right up until they realize that "they" are as rare as hen's teeth!

Educate yourself online, choose products carefully, and whenever possible, forgo commissioned sales people. Also, friends and close associates with direct experience with the product segments you are perusing are very good sources of quality info--usually...;) Commissioned sales people, otoh, are very much like politicians, the honest ones are few and far between--they do exist--but don't bet your pocketbook on bumping into one of them...;)

News Comments > Video Game Accessibility Waiver Expires
1. Re: Video Game Accessibility Waiver Expires Jan 3, 2019, 20:15 WaltC

It's always a study in rank stupidity when the government decides to insert itself in the software development process. Somehow, the people it ostensibly is trying to help get hurt, instead, in the end, as does an entire industry and customer base. It's a disaster that will hopefully be averted once again but only if wiser heads prevail.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 30, 2018, 12:18 WaltC

Armengar wrote on Dec 29, 2018, 16:33:
i thought most windows viri messed with 0 day unpatched exploits

What Windows "viri"...? Been so long ago I can't remember the last one I had--years ago, at the earliest. I also think that maybe you've confused "0-day proof of concepts" (which abound and are theoretical, as always) with "0-day exploits" (rarer than hen's teeth in my experience. Exploit = identifiable malware that actually exploits the 0-day hole/flaw/whatever)...;)

News Comments > Get SOMA Free on GOG.com
18. Re: Can't click on Claim! Dec 28, 2018, 17:33 WaltC

El Pit wrote on Dec 28, 2018, 16:30:
Ant wrote on Dec 28, 2018, 14:36:
https://www.gog.com/game/soma's claim button doesn't work in my three web browsers (SM v2.49.4, IE11, & Firefox v64) in my decade old, updated 64-bit W7 HPE SP1 PC.

Worked for me (Firefox 64.0 - 64 bit with uBlock Origin and NoScript) although I used the button on the homepage (gog.com).

FF x64 DE/Win10x64--worked first attempt--fast. Possibly some people are hitting the web site without logging into their GOG account--of course it won't work in that case.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Dec 28, 2018, 11:22 WaltC

I remember people saying that about BG...thought it was ridiculous then, and still do. Every major RPG release has "saved the RPG" according to somebody. Predicting that the RPG was dead got to be a very common refrain years ago(along with predicting that "the PC is dead," and so on.) They said it with the Witcher series, etc. BG was the result of the fact that the RPG had never died, of course, and that there was much pent-up desire for the genre. It's odd to see people grope for page hits with "X is dead" articles (It's even been done with God, who by definition cannot die...;)), but even odder still to see people agreeing with the doom and gloom, imo.  

News Comments > Denuvo Hates Your PC (Now Proven by Science)
7. Re: Denuvo Hates Your PC (Now Proven by Science) Dec 27, 2018, 12:50 WaltC

Denuvo is a case of not seeing the forest for the tree. They will never know how many more copies their games might have sold sans Denuvo from the start, and in true bean-counter style--they don't seem to care. "Nothing says, 'I don't trust you,' like Denuvo."  

News Comments > CliffyB: The Musical
8. Re: CliffyB: The Musical Dec 27, 2018, 12:45 WaltC

Creston wrote on Dec 27, 2018, 10:54:
Oh cliffy. How are you going to blame the PC pirates if your musical tanks?

Always puzzled me why Sweeney went along with that--it was the PC that put Epic on the map--and now Sweeney has come back to the fold, now that the x86 PC according to AMD has absorbed the console market and the PC market is a big multiple of times larger than it was when he left it. Perhaps without B's epically bad advice things might be different this time around. However, Fortnite does absolutely nothing for me...;) "They can take this dance and shove it"...!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2018, 17:33 WaltC

Warm and spicy--just the thing when it's c-c-c-c-cold outside! Sounds terrific! Merry Christmas to all...;)  

929 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo