Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 1089 (Pro)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > French Court Says Steam Should Allow Game Resales
13. Re: French Court Says Steam Should Allow Game Resales Sep 19, 2019, 22:46 WaltC

Bad business all around--the companies which the EuC is continuously hitting up for backdoor taxation on increasingly flimsy grounds should really take a long, hard look at the value of doing business in the EU long term. Hopefully, Steam can win this one on appeal, but if this and other exceptionally greedy, shortsighted money grabs by the EU (and the lawyers driving it all who walk away with multi-million dollar commissions on multi-billion dollar extorts) are allowed to stand and fester then eventually the EU will seek to progressively nationalize these companies. The current heavy-handed behavior is but the prelude to ultimate nationalization--or else to a state of affairs that is all *but* nationalization.

Steam is a company not owned by the EU government, and is an EU employer and major taxpayer, and Valve expends a great deal of $ to ensure that it operates within those laws continuously. But it no longer seems to matter to the EU as it is continuously seeking to extort money from the company under one false pretense after another--dictatorships do not need permission to extort--they simply need decrees, and the EuC is issuing many such decrees these days.

Same thing exactly is true for Microsoft and especially Apple--as the EuC is determined to extort at least $14B from Apple on ostentatiously false pretenses--saying that Brussels negotiates deals for Irish tax incentives, not Ireland--which would mean apparently that Apple was fleeced by the EuC when the deal on the Irish tax incentives was made by Ireland. Successful, wealthy American companies who abide by the EU laws religiously and are major EU taxpayers and employers are increasingly under attack by an evermore cash-strapped dictatorial EU government demanding money for one frivolous reason/pretense after another. At some point the dictatorial policies of the EU may well begin forcing these American companies to close up shop in the EU. I don't know what the tipping point will be but I'll wager the EuC is getting close to it right now in more than one case. I say if the EuC wants a large ownership share in these companies then let them buy stock and vote by proxy. Enough of the "Divine Right of Kings" nonsense--it's been obsolete for quite a few centuries. It didn't work then--won't work now.

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Sep 19, 2019, 09:52 WaltC

Tom's Hardware sure gets a lot of things wrong, lately, I've noticed. It's not possible for the AGESA to work but "correct the AGESA bug on the wrong cores"--that's a really bizarre statement. If the chip is attaining max advertised boost consistently on any core, that means the chip is working as intended. So many techie "pundits" develop erroneous notions of how things work that they never realize when it's they who err as opposed to the engineers who design/manufacture the CPUs..;)

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

News Comments > Morning Previews
4. Re: Morning Previews Sep 18, 2019, 17:28 WaltC

Overreaching, slightly pompous comments like these are little more than public-relations efforts to promote the upcoming game, but it's obvious that "exploring what it means to be immortal in a dying world" is a topic that really cannot be "explored" since there are no "immortals" anywhere to, uh, "explore" it...;) Besides, there are several ways to decisively truncate the assumed immortality of Vampires, anyway, according to myth. This kind of thing reminds me of old Adam West movies that are advertised thousands of times on television before the theater release in hopes that enough people will buy tickets to the really horrible movie to pay for the advance advertising......;)  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Event Launches
7. Re: No Man's Sky Event Launches Sep 18, 2019, 17:11 WaltC

JSP wrote on Sep 18, 2019, 16:53:
Wish they'd do something to help performance on AMD hardware

Runs like a bat out of hell here...;) AMD 3600X/50th Ann 5700XT @ 4k. My opinion is that they leaped the "optimized for old Intel architectures" hurdle a while ago--& of course don't forget that both their PS4 and xbox versions are 100% AMD hardware. So I'm assuming you are talking about x86 PC hardware. Three years ago the inexperience of the programming was apparent, but they've long since passed that hurdle, imo.

The only thing this game lacks (that if it had in sufficient quantity and quality would make it a Classic for the Ages) is a story/quest line that would provide the galactic background with a fascinating, unifying purpose beyond touristy sight seeing, bio-cataloguing, ship repair college, and saying "Hi" to a few other people, beings, etc.

I wait with baited breath for the next installment: No Man's Sky Story...;) Imagine an intricate story line taking after the original Starflight(TM) Galactic Mystery...! I'm not going to hold my breath, though.

News Comments > Rune II Open Beta Preloads
4. Re: Rune II Open Beta Preloads Sep 18, 2019, 10:34 WaltC

Rune Gold is the Rune to play, imo, and the single-player version is still a blast today. Everything I've seen so far in these attempts to "improve" the original Rune look like amateur-hour hacks to the original game code--worse, actually, than C-grade mods--buggy mods, too. I don't like saying that because I really wanted to see much more from HH. The original Rune was cobbled together by the Gathering of Developers (IIRC) and was and still is a very sweet game--lots of hellish atmosphere mixed with popular mythology that succeeds brilliantly in a way that id software's corny pentagrams and garish devil heads never did...;) The programming talent in the original Rune is nowhere to be found in these offerings unless it *is* the original code--they are simply trading off of the name and the original game code. Caveat Emptor.  

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Save Game Issue Hotfix
3. Re: Borderlands 3 Save Game Issue Hotfix Sep 17, 2019, 11:29 WaltC

Best Experience for Everyone: Customers buying/playing the game on the online distributor system of their choice. Anything less is not the best.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2019, 16:09 WaltC

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 14:59:
The Nvidia 2060 is a hot GPU you can bet the laptop people are slowing it down to cut the heat. Not surprising at all.

Not only that, but laptop GPUs are often much different than the discrete 3d cards they are named after...;) Ah, the joys of marketing.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 16, 2019, 16:05 WaltC

Why do celebs consistently troll everyone else, is what I want to know..;) (Not really....;))  

News Comments > Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch
11. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 14, 2019, 16:13 WaltC

jdreyer wrote on Sep 14, 2019, 14:52:
After taking ages to install, we were able to run the game and we did not experience any stuttering issues on our Intel i9 9900K with our NVIDIA GeForce RTX2080Ti. As said, we did close Epic Games Store when we went in-game. So yeah, it appears that this solution can work on certain systems. Its also worth mentioning that weve installed the game on an SSD and were using 16GB of RAM at 3600Mhz.

Huh, most gamers should have this setup, so I'm surprised there are problems.

I would be very much surprised to learn that even 1% of gamers own a $1400 3d card...;) And I think that probably at least 75% of the CPU gaming sales go to AMD now. I tested the EGS launcher once with one of their free games--with the game I tested, it's just like GOG in that you don't need to have the launcher running at all to run the game from its own executable (Gog doesn't require Galaxy.) I don't actually buy anything from the EGS, but I do wonder if the EGS uses DRM these days...?

News Comments > Binding of Isaac Creator Leaving Publisher Nicalis Over Abuse Allegations
7. Re: Binding of Isaac Creator Leaving Publisher Nicalis Over Abuse Allegations Sep 14, 2019, 10:56 WaltC

Sounds like a tempest in a teapot...;)  

News Comments > System Shock 3 Trailer
19. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 11, 2019, 17:28 WaltC

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 11, 2019, 10:44:
Am I horrible person for not playing the first two?

No, just highly unfortunate...;) Great single-player games with tons of atmosphere.. Have no idea about this one, though. Hard to live up to the originals--true classics--but let's hope so!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 9, 2019, 12:03 WaltC

Really poor article on AMD. AMD wasn't sued by its customers--AMD was sued by lawyers claiming to represent some of its Bulldozer customers. Knowing they would lose their suit, the lawyers who brought the suit offered to "settle" their case for less money than AMD calculated it would take to go all the way to the win, and unsurprisingly AMD agreed. As per the written settlement, the lawyers agreed with AMD that AMD did nothing wrong or dishonest or false. Spurious class-action lawsuits are common these days in the tech arena--adding to the price of everything we buy. Moving on to the so-called "boost" situation, AMD published a blurb on Twitter the other day stating they'd found a bug in their later AGESAs affecting boosts and that they'd be writing up an official announcement about it scheduled for tomorrow, Sept. 10th. Tech Radar seems to have missed most of the pertinent info about both of these situations...  

News Comments > Gears 5 Launch Trailer and Reviews
1. Re: Gears 5 Launch Trailer and Reviews Sep 4, 2019, 16:31 WaltC

Angry Centaur was interesting--I heard "12-hour campaign" and massively cringed. The graphics and game modes looked like Half-Life 2 meets Unreal tournament(s) meets Doom3 meets Borderlands (all those cartoon colors) meets a couple of other notable games of the past few years. I also found it somewhat amusing that the guy was using both a PC with a 2080ti in it and an xBox running at a scaled up fake 4k...I couldn't help wondering what his review would have been like had he been confined to the console only--as very few people will own a $1400 3d card in a $4k computer and an comparatively very inexpensive xBox. (What would be the point?) Ah, well, I don't like mindless shooters, anyway, so I'll pass, and with gusto! Console fare just does nothing for me at all--never has. Give me Witcher 3 and presumably Cyberpunk 2077 all day long. Now those are games worthy of the appellation! This looks like penny arcade fare with delusions of grandeur...;)  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 4, 2019, 10:48 WaltC

nVidia TITAN RTX with 18GBs ram, only $18,000! Get 'em while they're... uh...hot..;)  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Sep 3, 2019, 19:06 WaltC

Computer games have a component that's missing from the other major forms of entertainment--that is, they directly involve the player. They are interactive. Indeed, the player can become the major focal point around which the entire game revolves. Quality games can teach people how to problem-solve--but constructively, one hopes--in most cases. They can also teach constructive modes of thought such as attention to detail and rational cause and effect resulting from the actions of the player in-game. Playing computer games that involve some level of thought that isn't merely dumb reflex (arcade) would have to contribute to positive mental health, imo. I think that the fears that some have about computer gaming are small indeed contrasted with the fears they should have about passive forms of entertainment, which may demand as many hours as gaming, and very likely a lot more--such as reading books, watching television, and movies. My thought is that computer gaming can be very healthy for people when balanced with passive entertainments and real social activity (ie, not Facebook.) Too much of anything, though, generally won't pan out in the end, of course.  

News Comments >
8. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Sep 3, 2019, 18:44 WaltC

Well, the models look "OK" I guess...;) Too bad they are completely obscured by the horrible environment graphics--such as they are--if you can call them "graphics" at all...;) I don't know about the allusion to LSD, though--looks more like what someone might see after downing a couple of pints of Drano(TM)...! Too funny!  

News Comments > Labor Day Tech Bits
1. Re: Labor Day Tech Bits Sep 2, 2019, 13:23 WaltC

Interesting, as my Win10x64 installation, v1903, build 10014, has no such issue--and in fact doesn't even have KB4512941 installed...;) Is he talking about an earlier release version of Win10--like 1809, etc.? Or a 32-bit version?--if they're still shipping a 32-bit version of Win10 these days, that is. EDIT: All of my current updates are uninstallable, and if Microsoft really wanted me to have KB4512941, they'd have made it available to me with the other updates I'm offered...;) I make it a point not to go hunting for updates I don't need--I think it's a good habit.

Also on the boost issue re Zen2--AMD has deliberately cut down the voltage to its single-core boost, at least from what I can see in the latest AGESA's. MY 3600X max boost has been reduced from 4.4GHz to 4.275 GHz, or a 125Mhz difference. But, by the same token, AMD has also stopped sending ~1.5 volts to the boosting cores (as they boost singly), which imo is probably a good thing. CPU performance is basically MHz x IPC, so probably what's happened is that to correspond with the lower boost power and temps per core, the single-core boost can occur either more often or run longer or a bit of both than it could before. That's probably why my benchmarks for testing all show the same levels of performance, certainly no less, than were achieved with the slightly higher boost and voltages of the early AGESAs, such as 1002, and even 1003, in my case. So anyone who wants the original boost along with the original voltages can go back to AGESA's 1002/3 and see them again. However, I can't advise that because not only is there no difference in CPU processing performance, but there are also many other beneficial changes in AGESA 1003ABB as found in my Aorus Master x570's latest F5 bios, for instance, that are wholly absent from the early AGESA bios versions. I guess there are still some people who can't understand how a 4.5GHz or a 4.7GHz CPU can process data faster than a 5GHz CPU--because they keep talking about MHz as if it is the sole determinant of cpu processing speed....;)

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2019, 13:44.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 1, 2019, 10:49 WaltC

Pretty much these days the people who irrationally hate the President do so because of some unattributed, anonymous-sourced "article" *cough* they read in a rag staffed by other people who also hate the President irrationally. And why do they hate the President? Because his election was the one that threw out the horridly incompetent (D)s in 2016. He's made 90% of the American press look like the dolts that they are and they've declared war on the guy, starting with the phony 2016 election polls--and because of that they hate the man. Our trade deficit with China has been an average of ~$500B (billion) a year all through the Obama administration--one year it was almost a trillion dollars.

What that means is we've been in a trade war with China all of those years--but of course the incompetent press never picked up on it. Until they decided to hate Trump--who is the only President of recent memory attempting to bring jobs and manufacturing *back* to the US. Talk about "factories closing!" Bush was useless. Obama stood in his shirt-sleeves on national television and told a group of unemployed factory workers from the rust belt to "get used to it--your jobs have gone south and they aren't coming back!" And Obama wasn't talking about Florida, more's the pity. The present administration has put many of them back to work--proving the incompetence of the naysayers once again, and how they hate him for it. The (D) party is the ultimate party of hate these days--they seem to hate everything and anything that might be good for American citizens and taxpayers. In many decades of voting I've never seen it this bad.

News Comments > Valve Fighting EU Antitrust Charges
25. Re: Valve Fighting EU Antitrust Charges Aug 30, 2019, 10:59 WaltC

007Bistromath wrote on Aug 30, 2019, 10:47:
Price discrimination is not price fixing. Don't be ridiculous.

Yes, and I know of no one who feels "discriminated against" whenever a sale comes along...;) It's the EU doing the price fixing--these companies are "guilty" of trying to sell their products in various countries according to the median incomes therein--to make them affordable to the local populace. Brussels wants everyone in the EU to pay the same price--even if it's too high.

News Comments > Valve Fighting EU Antitrust Charges
24. Re: Valve Fighting EU Antitrust Charges Aug 30, 2019, 10:52 WaltC

Cash-strapped EU is becoming more aggressive than ever in looking for revenue under any old fictitious pretense it can find, especially now that England is almost a sovereign nation once again. So amusing to see the EuC paying these companies to "admit to wrong doing"--ha-ha--what a farce! The reasoning goes like this: no matter what, we'll have to pay these fines, and whether we did anything wrong is irrelevant because the EuC doesn't care about that, so we might as well "admit to wrong doing", let the EuC continue to price fix, and save the 10%. What a racket. Glad to see Valve defending itself even though in the end it won't matter. It's a common theme in all dictatorships and/or heavy-handed governments. Even if Valve complied in 2015 as it says it did--it simply will not matter--Valve will have to pay, too, and absorb the extra 10% for resisting the apparently divine-right of kings decree from Brussels. Find the lawyers behind this and look at the commissions they stand to make on the fines and you'll have at least 50% of the rationale for actions like this. The EuC is more of a back-door tax collector than anything else these days.  

1089 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo