Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On January 31, 2003
Supporter -
Total Comments 1201 (Pro)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2020, 11:04 WaltC

Yes, indeed, 60 to 80-year-olds + who test positive for COVID-19, and have serious, underlying medical conditions, like, for instance, acute hypertension, Alzheimer's, heart failure/heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc.--as many do--are certainly candidates for strokes, among other things--most definitely. I do not find it amusing how the government currently has decided to assign "cause of death" to COVID-19 while ignoring age as a factor (80 is years past the average life expectancy for both men and women in the US), or the other health problems these people may have been battling for *years* as the cause of death--those conditions are very likely to be the actual cause of death in these patients! Note the hundreds of thousands of COVID-19 cases of persons fully recovered from a COVID-19 infection, many in a few days, with light symptoms, that do not even require hospitalization! (Many people with high public profiles fit this description.) Therefore, it does not follow that COVID-19 is the cause of death in all 60-80-year-olds with underlying health problems who simply test positive for COVID-19, does it?

I am very disappointed with the CDC. Birx and Fauci have done an awful job so far--notice how their predictions of "death tolls" keep getting lowered almost on a daily basis? They are supposed to be scientists, not Tea-Leaf readers. They've succeeded in panicking the country, though, as that seems to have been their primary intention all along. The main point here is that the CDC has idiotically decided to *ignore* all other causes of death as not relevant! It's only COVID-19 that's a problem--the flu--so far has killed far more than COVID-19--and the flu has been ignored and flu deaths are all confirmed and verified--unlike so-called COVID-19 fatalities to date. How about viral pneumonia--which may also be present along with COVID-19? Ignored. This tunnel vision around COVID-19 is not a positive for the country.

Here are the leading causes of death in the US every year, according to the CDC. Most of them dwarf COVID-19 so far:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 7, 2020, 10:17 WaltC

These Win10 stories are becoming amusing. I installed that update on 3/23/20 (xxx335) and it's caused no problems at all. In fact, that seems to be the case with every single problem TechRadar has made a fuss about in the last few months...;) Often, as well, TR seems confused about what the difference is between the Insider's beta-testing of Windows and the standard commercial releases for the general markets. The site is not terribly credible in that regard, I fear.  

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

News Comments > Morning Mobilization

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 2, 2020, 16:49 WaltC

Google is having a difficult time selling them--hard enough to give them away...;)  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2020, 17:23 WaltC

Love reading about the British Supreme Court. /s...;)  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 30, 2020, 11:25 WaltC

Re: UK crackdown on fake news

The BBC is often riddled with fake news and politically warped stories masquerading as science--I won't be convinced about this until something is done about the BBC, itself--a major source of UK fake news.

News Comments > Star Citizen Raises More Cash

4. Re: Star Citizen Raises More Cash Mar 30, 2020, 11:21 WaltC

In the beginning, I figured that if people wanted to keep donating money, who am I to argue with what they do with their own money? Still, today it seems ridiculous to consider they are still in "alpha" stage after all these years and a budget bigger than most blockbuster movies. It does seem as if they want to extend the "send me your money" development stage indefinitely. For companies to begin investing in the IP without getting any ownership rights or corporate say-so they must see something that isn't readily apparent to most people. Well, apparent to me, anyway...;)

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Preloads

33. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Preloads Mar 22, 2020, 12:54 WaltC

Retired wrote on Mar 22, 2020, 00:32:

Well, we have been talking about HL3 for how many years? So yea sure, but please, tell me how the 3D movie thing went........weren't we supposed to have it in every home?

VR doesn't interest me in the least right now. It is not that I do not like it, I think it is cool, it just isn't where I want it to be to invest time and money into it.

I'm with you--VR is a fad destined for the dust bin--right along with the 3d-glasses stereoscopy fad (stereoscopy was born in the 1800's actually.) I predicted that "3d" would die on the vine chiefly because the effect fooled the brain into perceiving depth where there was none, and the process was one that just so happened to create very uncomfortable types of motion sickness in a high percentage of the people who used it. If you've ever been "sea sick" then you know just how bad that can feel at its most extreme! 3d glasses were DOA because of it, imo. I was also glad to see the fad die because of the way the marketing for it butchered the term "3D", which up to that point in time was the common acronym for discerning the difference between "2d" games (no simulated Z axis) and "3d" games (simulated Z-axis.) If you told these people what your own opinion about 3d glasses is, and you took the time to explain why you had that opinion, you'd think you had called their mothers "wanton lesbian prostitutes with AIDs", or something...;) It was unreal--quite vicious, at times. Stepping on sacred cows is like that, I guess, even if done inadvertently.

Anyway, if people wanted the kind of "immersion" VR markets and touts, it's my belief that people would have been strapping their televisions to their faces long ago...;) (People don't want that now.) Steve Jobs was pushing gray-scale Next/Macs long after color television had become the norm and other computers were shipping with color GPUs--the guy really had some rather large blind spots, RIP.

I ran the non-VR Alyx demo, and was fairly disappointed with the general graphics presentation--which seemed to me to look about like it looked way back when HL2 originally shipped. The FOV looked very narrow--too narrow, and I cannot think why anyone would see the little footprint-jumps, and the two disembodied hands always floating in the air as "immersive"...! It was very distracting for me. In one section of the Alyx demo, I think it was in a train car, the person recording the demo did this subtle, apparently unconscious left-to-right rocking motion, continuously, and I was surprised to see that even looking at the demo on my 32" 4k BenQ--I felt a slight nausea building in my gut! No exaggeration. I repeated it a few times to make sure--happened each time. It did, and I'd seen quite enough.

HL/HL2 were singularly the best games Newell, Valve ever did, imo. Can't imagine what's keeping them from continuing the saga, and it's too bad. Building a really "immersive" game is a lot of work--a ton of hard work. I can only think Newell is no longer interested in creating another HL because he isn't interested in doing the work. I'd love to think that HL3 development has been ongoing for years as a Valve "black" project destined for release in the near future! But for some reason, it just doesn't ring true. Summing up, I get the distinct impression that Newell is looking for gimmicks to sell (think Steam Machine, etc.) and simply isn't interested in the truism that creating a great game is 99% perspiration--and that's too bad--because regardless of the gimmicks that come to the fore and reach the market--that part of game developing will never change.

News Comments > New AMD Adrenalin Drivers

1. Re: New AMD Adrenalin Drivers Mar 20, 2020, 17:06 WaltC

Actually, the 20.3.1's were released yesterday 3/19--I got 'em already...nice!

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Reviews

4. Re: DOOM Eternal Reviews Mar 17, 2020, 12:13 WaltC

I didn't like the corny demon-pentagram-Hell-skull theme 30 years ago--like something out of a grade C horror flick...;) I always thought even then, "That's all they could think of? That's it?" I'll pass this up, too. I bought some of the older games when they were new--but invariably lost interest after 10-20 minutes of the repetitive button-mashing gore fests...;)  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs

1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 14, 2020, 14:24 WaltC

That FISA court crap has to go. President says he may veto the bill to reauthorize--I hope so!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2020, 15:36 WaltC

Sydow was always a favorite of mine. RIP Max.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 9, 2020, 15:30 WaltC

The so-called Win10 "driver problem" is mainly interesting to me because in build 18363.693--no such option exists....;) I think I saw it in earlier versions of Win10, but in this latest it doesn't appear to be here anymore. Likely deprecated.  

News Comments > Baldur's Gate III Early Access Nears

3. Re: Baldur's Gate III Early Access Nears Mar 5, 2020, 19:56 WaltC

Yes, consider EA to be a small slice of the game in buggy alpha/beta status. So don't buy into it unless you are OK with this--it doesn't do much for me. Also, I want Sven to clearly understand that the line "You must gather your party before venturing forth" was likely the most absolutely hated and detested line in the BG games...;) Mods quickly developed to kill the audio on that infernal line--after all these years I still remember how much it annoyed me! Sven is getting a bit carried away with the "venturing forth" expression--it was not a positive association for most BG players originally...;)  

News Comments > Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus

35. Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 1, 2020, 11:13 WaltC

Lots of misinformation in this thread:

New England Journal of Medicine

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387?query=RP

"...On the basis of a case definition requiring a diagnosis of pneumonia, the currently reported case fatality rate is approximately 2%.4 In another article in the Journal, Guan et al.5 report mortality of 1.4% among 1099 patients with laboratory-confirmed Covid-19; these patients had a wide spectrum of disease severity. If one assumes that the number of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases is several times as high as the number of reported cases, the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1%. This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively."

Also, just FYI, the President did not call the virus a hoax--he called the attempt to politicize the virus by the usual suspect (D)s a hoax. It was Cher, among others, who tweeted that the President said the virus itself was a hoax. Absolutely false. Cher has a very hard time with her 6th-grade education...;) But Cher is not alone in the stupid box--many so-called "celebrities" reside there as well. Anthony Hopkins, when asked about his politics said, "I don't make political statements--because most actors look like idiots when they do!" I agree completely...;) Hopkins is one of the more intelligent, imo.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization

2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 29, 2020, 15:34 WaltC

My understanding is that it was the Chromebook that is falling apart...;)  

News Comments > GOG.com Expands Refund Policy

3. Re: GOG.com Expands Refund Policy Feb 26, 2020, 17:26 WaltC

I think it has been pretty much this way for awhile, anyway--they've just decided to go ahead and announce it. I've never asked for a refund, actually. This won't make much difference if any to me. I own 345 GOG games, atm, (~61 on Steam, 32 on EA--10 on UBI, about 4-5 on Epic--one I bought--the rest free from the EGS)--most of the GOG games installed. They all run fine. No DRM! I have a hard time paying for copy protection. Not all Steam games are protected with DRM of various types, but with GOG it's a policy they adhere to 100%. They trust me as a customer and so I want to reward them with my business whenever I can.

I guess if I downloaded a game that cost a bit--you know, more than $5-$20, I'd ask for a refund if the game just wouldn't run or I felt it had been materially misrepresented by the developer. But I'm very patient and usually will wait it out to see if they fix it--or improve it, etc. I want them--the developers--to have their money--they earn it! But if they try and deceive me--well, that is totally different--I have little patience for that...;)

This puts GOG way ahead of Steam in terms of "customer is always right" theory--surprised that Steam hasn't improved on that silly "two-hour" refunding requirement in all of this time. Another thing--it's seems to be shaking out that of the game distributors, Steam maybe is the least customer-centric of them all. EGS actually put its customers first with that $10 discount and not wrapping its games up in copy protection like the Microsoft Store (though I have heard that is going to change--but I haven't seen it yet, if you know what I mean...;)) I was impressed with the EGS discount on Outer Worlds, and no copy protection--which makes it easy to mod, etc. I was initially disdainful of the EGS, but when I saw him actually extending things to his customers--not just to game developers--I have to tip my hat to him. That's the way to do it...;) Everybody wins!

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Breaks $50M Triggering Developer Payday

13. Re: The Witcher 3 Breaks $50M Triggering Developer Payday Feb 21, 2020, 09:39 WaltC

clint wrote on Feb 21, 2020, 03:34:
That's lower than i expected. With EA making a billion dollars just on micro transactions this year, I feel a bit unhappy about the situation.

Lower than you expected? Read it a bit more carefully...;) The $50M only covered Steam sales from 10/2018 through 2/20/2020 (and the game was selling in multiple outlets all of that time, including GOG.) The game shipped on Steam and then elsewhere in 2015!. W3 had already been breaking sales records for Witcher games for ~3.5 years before this period began.

Most games dry up and blow away 6-12 months after initial release for a variety of reasons. A game still making millions of dollars only through one of the many outlets where the game is sold, five years after it initially shipped--is unusual. I lay it all at the feet of CDPR because they continued to improve W3 through patches for a couple of years and they broadened the initial story line with quality expansions and enhancements. Result? With a couple of easy-to-install optional mods the game looks and plays wonderfully on the PC going on 5 years past it's initial ship date. BTW, EA can take its microtransactions and put them where the sun doesn't shine...;)

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 20, 2020, 16:29 WaltC

AFP Story--My take: fake as they come. If that's all Assange had to do for a pardon, he'd have done it in a heartbeat and been released from custody a long time ago...;) And guess who wasn't pardoned. Indeed, Assange openly stated several times that he didn't have any Russian contacts. Upshot: what Assange's lawyer is reported to have said here is easily proven false. Personally, I think they should give Assange a medal--wherever he got the info, the American voting public deserved to see it. I was surprised that the exposed Democrats didn't deny it all wholesale--but they didn't--maybe they couldn't for some reason. BTW, another falsehood in this story is the notion is that Russia was the source of the DNC hack--wrong again. It was actually the infamous "Pee" dossier author's company--the company whom the Clinton campaign paid $9M to write up the fictional "pee dossier"--which stated that it "might have been some Russian hackers" (not affiliated with the Russian government), or, he said, any number of other hackers they knew of at the time. There was no conclusive proof--he said. Comey, before his firing, offered to inspect the DNC servers to discover whether the system was actually hacked and by whom--and Debbie Schultz with the DNC said, "Nah--thanks but no thanks." Kind of odd response from someone claiming the DNC servers were hacked! Personally I've often thought it was an inside job at the DNC--lots of people had access to their servers.

Anyway, I thought maybe we were past all of the unattributed, unsourced fake news stories--but it's an election year and here we go again. Oh, brother....:/

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 18, 2020, 10:03 WaltC

Earth Fund = Sucker Fund, sad to see people falling for such malarkey.  

News Comments > Free Stadia Tier Coming

3. Re: Free Stadia Tier Coming Feb 16, 2020, 18:42 WaltC

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 16, 2020, 17:05:
Practically lag free play at an eye-popping 640x480 reso and 256 color purism.

I don't know if I can take it...;) Technology moves too fast...;)

1201 Comments. 61 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >