Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 1172 (Pro)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 17, 2020, 16:18 WaltC

Yep, no problems with the Win10 update--poor fellow--wonder if he waits for Microsoft to release updates and then writes one of these "informative" articles...;)  

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs

9. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 12, 2020, 10:35 WaltC

NKD wrote on Jan 11, 2020, 15:56:
So wait, the US government can just designate some person or group as illegal to voice support for and force companies to delete any posts in support of that person or group?

Nope. Not even close...;)

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

4. removed Jan 9, 2020, 16:19 WaltC

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 9, 2020, 17:31.

News Comments > Op Ed

4. Re: Op Ed Jan 9, 2020, 15:35 WaltC

The list of grossly overpaid actors is a very long one, indeed...;) And lots of work human beings do is "taxing," and that is why we call it "work," not "play." (Oh, brother--to have to actually explain this!) Yes, God help those idiot actors who have no agents negotiating their contracts (/s--most do) and are all alone, helpless and hopeless, living as lost little children at the mercy of the mean, tyrannical adults.

Unions of course present themselves as the saviors of idiot employees who, for whatever reason, do not want union representation. Gee, I wonder why they might not want the nirvana the unions claim to bring?...;) According to the unions, such employees are mentally challenged, and for their own good need to be forced into unions whether they like it or not! How fortunate it is that forcing employees to pay union dues is now illegal! It's amazing that at one time extorting money from workers for union dues against their will was *legal*! That's the impossible thing to believe, for me. So that huge injustice has at long last been rectified in favor of the worker, not the union.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 8, 2020, 21:42 WaltC

Anyone who thinks watching Netflix changes the climate in any way, shape, or form is a real dunderhead, imo. It's like CA blaming "global warming" for fires almost always started by arson on uncleared brush and woods (by CA "forestry" regulations.) 100 years ago people might have said of some event "It's God's will." Today, little has changed, but the all-purpose culprit to blame is now "global warming"...;) Ignorance is bliss, as they say (for some, I guess.) I guess you could say, "The devil did it," instead of "global warming did it," but, really, that provides no useful information either, does it?  

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Passes 10M Players

7. Re: Sea of Thieves Passes 10M Players Jan 8, 2020, 21:32 WaltC

Darks wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 19:21:
Why? its like the biggest POS game I ever played. There is literally nothing to do in the game.

I read in several places that the "game" really had little content--that it's more of a sort of basic sailing simulation. Never bought it.

News Comments > NVIDIA and ASUS Introduce 360Hz Monitor

10. Re: NVIDIA and ASUS Introduce 360Hz Monitor Jan 6, 2020, 12:03 WaltC

Joy to the frame interpolation chips: 6x60Hz or 3x120Hz--"Imagine this, kiddies, your very own miniature 60Hz or even 120Hz monitors that seem like 360Hz! Now you, too, can game with the big dogs!" *choke* *sputter*--available wherever fine toys are sold...;)  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation

3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jan 5, 2020, 15:31 WaltC

Yes, this isn't the first fairly ridiculous article that particular guy has written.  

News Comments > Get Hello Neighbor for Free

37. Re: Get Hello Neighbor for Free Dec 31, 2019, 10:32 WaltC

Verno wrote on Dec 30, 2019, 13:07:
They are redoing the Microsoft Store sometime in 2020 to get rid of the UWP vestiges, right now its just a mess due to the way the containers work. I just use it for Gamepass shit and ignore everything else until they resolve it.

Thanks for the info, not that I'm especially interested in what the MS store will do...;) I should hope that they do something--I could understand what they're doing with Game Pass, I suppose, because no one actually buys the game. But treating purchases that way for us non-consolers is just bizarre--look at all the successful store models they could have emulated.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 30, 2019, 12:24 WaltC

Apple gaming is definitely an oxymoron...;)  

News Comments > Morning Interviews

1. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 30, 2019, 12:21 WaltC

Watched the first three episodes in the Witcher--it looks like it's going to be a blockbuster--my wife and I both enjoyed it--she, especially, as she (always) thinks she won't like "that kind of show"! She really liked it. I hope that Cavill improves his basic dialogue as the series goes on--he should listen more to the gaming Geralt. Right now, his lines are too monotone--too flat--the voicing of Geralt seems much livelier and full of inflection--at least to me, anyway. That small thing aside, however, it is very entertaining!  

News Comments > Get Hello Neighbor for Free

9. Re: Get Hello Neighbor for Free Dec 30, 2019, 12:10 WaltC

My experience with Microsoft Store and Epic Store games this holiday:

MS: bought The Outer Worlds there. Big mistake. The game is copy protected and layered with DRM like I haven't seen since decades ago when floppies went through a brief spate of copy-protection. Horrible. It's so bad that you cannot even open the root directory of the game unless you take possession of it--but when you open it, you cannot so much as add an empty folder to the game's root directory. Cannot run the game from its executable--everything is wrapped in copy protection tighter than a Nun in Seclusion...;) Just awful. Immediately asked for a refund, which I should get. Deleted all traces of the game from my system. Who wants to buy a PC game that cannot be modded? Ugh. What was Microsoft thinking! They are trying to move console garbage to PC players--it won't work!

EPIC store: After I checked with the EGS, game was on sale like at the MS for $44.99--However--this was a nice surprise--EPIC also applied a $10-off coupon to the sale--so I paid $34.95--excellent. Better yet, the copy protection is non-existent compared to what Microsoft is using in its exceedingly strange and bizarre UWP strategy! Modding: no problem. Running from the executable, bypassing the EPIC launcher: no problem. I don't know if it phones home every time you run it--but you know what? After that insane UWP experience I really don't care about that little thing at all...;) Microsoft has always been dumber than dirt when it comes to Windows games--makes you wonder. Still scratching my head trying to figure out how Microsoft intends to sell to Windows users through its UWP store--such an awful start for them.

News Comments > etc.

1. Re: etc. Dec 26, 2019, 11:16 WaltC

RDR2 PC is a fantastic single-player experience--the online portion is not the main focus of the game, and as such is very weak. I'm always amused when people try to dump on the sales numbers of a single-player game by looking at how many people are playing it online....;)  

News Comments > Christmas Eve Tech Bits

16. Re: Christmas Eve Tech Bits Dec 25, 2019, 10:50 WaltC

nVidia is still smarting from losing the original Xbox contract to ATi years ago...;) Yep, nVidia got the bright idea after Microsoft tapped them for the xBox graphics--to sue Microsoft for an amount nVidia called "breach of contract." They talked, they settled, and that was all she wrote for nVidia and the xBox, ever since! I've never owned a GPU that (AMD/ATi) wasn't faster/better than that which is available in consoles--but that's no surprise as they all cost as much or more than the consoles!

https://www.geek.com/games/microsoft-and-nvidia-end-xbox-dispute-551775/

News Comments > Gothic Playable Teaser Released

10. Re: Gothic Playable Teaser Released Dec 14, 2019, 11:58 WaltC

Playing the originals is fine today--the GOG versions all include relevant patching to enable the games to run in Win10x64; but I think the largest improvement comes through the D3d11 mod for both G1 and G2--its use is widespread today and graphically it makes all the difference, imo. It's nice to play @ 4k as the originals look really nice @ 4k with just a couple of texture & font mods. G3 is "OK" in most respects and has a very nice, final community patch (v1.75 IIRC)

But don't bother with G4, trust me...;) Although, to be fair, if you haven't played G1/G2/G3 already and you aren't familiar with these classics, you *might* like it, maybe, I suppose, possibly, could be...but probably not.

News Comments > MS Declares Halo: Reach PC Launch a Blockbuster

8. Re: MS Declares Halo: Reach PC Launch a Blockbuster Dec 12, 2019, 12:33 WaltC

MacLeod wrote on Dec 12, 2019, 11:44:
I'm curious as to how many normal (non-streamer), who haven't previously played Halo people actually kept playing the game after purchase.

I'd previously played the games, but it's been a LONG time. After getting this, if I hadn't known the games, I think I would have quit during the first two hours and refunded....

I can barely recall Halo (PC) --I spent a few days playing with it, IIRC. Didn't it offer at least a bare-bones single-player mode *cough*, or was it all just multiplayer ? I might pick it up for the nostalgia, but not if it's strictly a multiplayer game. Guess I'll do something radical, like read a review...;)

EDIT: This thread reminded me of wading through the RDR2 Steam threads (I bought RDR2 from RS direct for $48 cyber Monday.) Oddly enough, Halo discussion was notable in the Steam RDR2 thread. Usual assortment of "critics" was on hand to declare how much "better" the Halo release is than RDR2 PC, as if someone had actually asked, and the proof of that assertion they attributed to the fact that more people were playing on Halo's Steam multiplayer servers than were playing on Steam's RDR2 Online multiplayer servers.

More than a few remarks were therefore made to the effect of: "So the RDR2 Steam Launch is DOA. RDR2 PC is dead!" It wasn't apparent that these mystical prognosticators were aware of the single-player component of RDR2 PC being the main game in RDR2 PC, or even that they had known that RDR2 PC had been shipping from multiple sources, including from Rockstar direct, for an entire month prior to the Steam release. It's odd--but many who posted seemed completely unaware that games are sold anywhere aside from on Steam! Go figure....;)

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2019, 12:58.

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski Comeback?

6. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Comeback? Dec 12, 2019, 12:17 WaltC

"I need to create" = "I have a burning need to spend someone else's money, lots of it, massaging my bruised ego."

If he wants to "make, well, stuff", I've read that a can of Play-Doh does wonders for people with a similar "itch."

News Comments > Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition

3. Re: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition Dec 12, 2019, 00:09 WaltC

Genesys wrote on Dec 11, 2019, 21:00:

Holy interface clutter, batman! A mess of settings on multiple tabs, plus a web browser, just because we can!

I did find where you select the items on the metrics overlay, though: they're hidden on the Performance -> Metrics screen. The little eyeball icon next to each chart toggles the respective line in the overlay.

Man, thanks so much! You know, I had just found it!!! Right before I came to your post to say so--so thanks so much! You know I feel silly as I looked for it but never saw it--then suddenly--there it is! Hidden in plain sight, I guess. Made my evening! I felt like it had to be there--I also felt like I should have seen it....! Clutter is the word. Although I have to say the more I dig into these the more I really like 'em--UI is a big improvement--but the old one wasn't bad--thanks again...;) I do like change--especially when it's useful...

News Comments > Out of the Blue

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2019, 16:58 WaltC

Time Magazine's judgement leaves much to be desired, imo. Take a guess as to whom Time pimped as Time's Man of the Year in 1938?

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,760539,00.html

Time Magazine thought a lot of the man, apparently. Prior to the man's ignition of WWII in Europe, of course! But it's the magazine's uncanny ability to misjudge various International figures over the decades that has presided over its demise from a fairly robust magazine to its current print size of ~8-10 pages an issue, if it's that much. Some print comic books today contain more content.

It's for certain that Time probably hasn't thought about what it will do to the magazine's already tarnished reputation if in ten years, after she's done more than repeat the lines a few adults have instructed her to memorize today, Greta recants. E Tu', Time? Suppose she's resentful for being callously used in this fashion as a child by the adults around her? But I'm certain that Time hasn't thought that far ahead--like in 1938. With Time, today, it's seldom about news and almost always about some strange/bizarre politics the Time editors wish to push on some purely emotional, and irrational, level--and using children, of course, in lieu of fact and persuasive argument.

Greta is too young to drive on our highways, sign a legally binding contract, has yet to graduate from high school, cannot vote or serve in the military as either a volunteer or draftee, etc. and etc. ad infinitum because she is a minor child--yet Time thinks she's old enough and wise enough to steer the economic and environmental policy of planet Earth? Incredible.

News Comments > GOG.com Winter Sale Includes Free Wastelands 2

11. Re: GOG.com Winter Sale Includes Free Wastelands 2 Dec 11, 2019, 16:02 WaltC

Dravnt wrote on Dec 11, 2019, 13:19:
Gotta say, I love GoG.com and the philosophy behind it all. I'm thinking I want to put more of my money into that company and platform than any other one out there.

Welcome aboard!--I like and respect GOG's stand on DRM--the company doesn't believe in making its paying customers jump through hoops after they've paid for their software! Steam leaves it up to developers, unfortunately, and doesn't take a stand on the DRM issue. Some Steam games run right from their executable as all GOG games do, but many Steam games only run through some kind of DRM the game developer/publisher wishes to inflict on their paying customers--after they've picked their customer's pockets...;) It seems almost irrational once you think about it.

Soapbox mode ON

The fact is that if all of the distributors adopted GOG's principled stand on DRM--where would paranoid developers go--back to boxes and physical storefronts? UPS? (I don't think so!) I also very much approve of GOG's stand on providing its customers with their very own installable copy of every game they sell! It's amazing to realize that some people playing games today don't know that at one time you couldn't buy a game that didn't provide you with your very own installable copy!

I always pay for software, for the obvious reasons. We all need to eat, and game developers are not excluded from that group, last I checked. I'm also not one of these nutty people who believe that software should always be free to everyone, because software is a natural resource that grows on trees and costs nobody anything in either time or labor...;) (Talk about rationalizations--that has to be the king!....;))

Anyway, didn't meant to really rattle on about this, but the GOG advantages are substantial and meaningful, imo. I of course buy from other sources at times--when it isn't available on Gog, generally being the main reason. If I want it and Gog sells it I'll buy it there, every time. I believe in rewarding companies who reward me as a customer with their policies--while avoiding those companies that don't.

--Off sopabox

1172 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >