Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 682 (Apprentice)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > PlayStation Now Coming to PCs
2. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 15:38 WaltC

Please don't forget mouse & keyboard support, as well as resolution and texture support fitting the PC environment--if you'd like these games to do well. Dead-dropped ports won't do at all. Thx...  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Released
41. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Released Aug 23, 2016, 15:31 WaltC

Lord Tea wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 11:35:
nin wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 11:06:
I've also seen folks say it takes 20+ hours to get to the end,

Source? "20+" means from 20.0 hours (likely) to 20 million hours (unlikely).

Not willing to pay $60 for a 20 hour title that has a bad ending.

Agreed...that's demo length...hardly worth it. We shall see--perhaps that is someone foolishly skipping 3/4 of the content to rush to the end. I'll wait for reviews...

Can anyone explain this coherently...

With more than 100 awards and nominations before launch

That's like Dumbo Obama getting the Nobel Peace Prize before he'd done anything...;) sigh, everything is so rigged these days...but I'll reserve final judgment until after reading a few reviews.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 18, 2016, 13:44 WaltC

Simon Says wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 11:38:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 10:00:
It's a good thing gas cars never catch on fire, no wait.

1 Tesla fire post shield installation per 100 million miles driven.

Compared to:

1 traditional car fires per 20 millions miles average driven.

Still 5 times safer with the current, albeit limited, data.

Someday they'll have to stop making a fuss out of every incident, 1 traditional car catches fire every 17 hours in average and that's ONLY in the US.

Very amusing...been driving gasoline cars for more decades than I sometimes care to think about, over a dozen new (mostly) cars--and I had one gas fire--that extinguished itself in less than a minute, with zero damage to the car--other than I had to replace a leaking gasket that was the cause--and that was in 1987 in a Chrysler 2.2L turbo-charged engine. I wound up putting 103000 miles on the car before I traded it. Never, ever had one simply catch fire and burn to the ground, much less in five minutes...;) Never even heard of a brand-new gasoline auto *ever* doing that...;)

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 18, 2016, 11:31 WaltC

Quote from the press release:

"The first desktop systems featuring 7th Generation AMD A-Series processors and new AM4 sockets are scheduled to ship in the second half of 2016 in OEM PC designs."

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 14, 2016, 14:13 WaltC

Be interesting to learn how many times Watson has guessed wrong--and what the consequences, if any, might be. Computers are all garbage-in/garbage-out, never smarter/better than their programmers. Their only advantage is in speed--which is substantial and very positive--but their major disadvantage is being fed bad data--or erroneous data, because computers do not reason and don't think as we do--they simply run data as the program instructs, like a giant abacus, and the computer doesn't care whether the data is good or bad. Watson could as well have described a course of treatment that would have killed the woman outright, but her human doctors would have ignored that advice, certainly...;)  

News Comments > New AMD Radeon Crimson Drivers
1. Re: New AMD Radeon Crimson Drivers Aug 14, 2016, 14:00 WaltC

This did indeed fix the secure boot problem in 16.8.1 that did not affect 16.7.3, for some reason.  

News Comments > More Overwatch Bans
17. Re: More Overwatch Bans Aug 2, 2016, 05:56 WaltC

Would someone (with a big, mushy, leaking heart that is bleedin' green blood everywhere) explain to me why people who buy only goofy-looking MSRP-ed games like this go apoplectic when the game developer decides to clamp down on cheating...! I had been their conscience-in-a-bottle for years, I s'pose (alas and hooray!)-- but no more! (Quoth the Raven Nevermore! Cawwwww-w-w-w-w! Quack-Q-Q-Q-Q--sure-thing-)... Why would anyone buy such a game and then pay out more money just to cheat it?...;)

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2016, 06:14.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2016, 11:55 WaltC

Glad to see the state isn't trying to throw someone into prison for its own incompetence in the 38-studios snafu. Politicians are dumb and dumber.  

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
11. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 30, 2016, 08:56 WaltC

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 19:40:
I have been going on 4 years and feel bad about it knowing that a clean reinstall of 7 would make my system a little faster, but running on an SSD i can live with the bloated beast that i have created.

One of the really nice things I've noticed about Win10x64--through the last dozen or so upgrades through the Insiders program--is that quite unlike earlier Windows OSes it doesn't slow the more programs are installed. (Not sure how much of that is because of my boot SSD, though...!)

1. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 29, 2016, 11:29 WaltC

FYI, am pleased to report that these drivers finally fix the certificate problems with win10x64 build 14393.5 (problems that have before now mandated a user turn off secure boot to install and run all Crimson drivers after 16.5.3)!  

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
2. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 09:48 WaltC

Poor Sweeney...this sort of madness is what comes of burying yourself in consoles to the exclusion of everything else. What a chump...When Epic dropped the PC I dropped Epic.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA TITAN X Announced
10. Re: New NVIDIA TITAN X Announced Jul 22, 2016, 12:42 WaltC

Ha-ha..! Wow. It must be true that stupid people will indeed buy anything...;) I mean, Apple would have been out of business years ago if that wasn't true, eh?  

2. Re: Marketing NIChe Jul 19, 2016, 12:23 WaltC

The Apple fad is winding down, once again...;) It's almost like clockwork...! As soon as competition arises Apple falls by the wayside, as first it sues its competitors and then when that fails Apple is simply unable to compete--so it moves on and tries to invent another fad market it can own until competition comes into play--and then rinse and repeat. That is Apple's history. Apple is so bad at competing it could not even compete successfully with Apple clone makers, even when the deck was substantially stacked in Apple's favor! Apple could not compete when Jobs was at the helm and he was the only one there with the slightest imagination--Jobs wouldn't permit anyone else to work for the company (lest he be outshone in some way.) Cook has the product imagination of an accountant...;)

I wake up each morning refreshed in the knowledge that since Apple's origin I have never owned an Apple product--although on a couple of occasions I tried unsuccessfully to talk myself into buying one...;) Yep, I've never been duped by the con-artists at Apple, and I have never had occasion to regret it. Oh happy day...;)

25. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 12, 2016, 18:09 WaltC

All this nonsense is really quite silly...;) I wouldn't own a nVidia GPU if you paid me to take it--unless I could sell it immediately afterwards--but that is neither here nor there, my friends..;)

The fact is that AMD has released its low-to-mid-range d3d12 products at the moment. nVidia has OTOH "blown its wad" and "shot its high-end load" so to speak for d3d12 with the 1080 series (Of course, I'm not going to count the inevitable $1500-$3000 nVidia card that will be released for the mentally challenged among us in a few months--because no one of reasonable intellect might ever be horns-waggled into buying such a grotesque product. But, it has long been known that the nVidia GPU market is not really comprised of customers whose--shall we say--"beans are all in one place," etc., etc. *cough* *choke**sputter*)

So, where does that leave us? It leaves us in a place from which the comparison of the RX 480 with the obscenely priced GTX 1080, or even a vastly overpriced d3d12-pretend product like the last-gen 980 is inappropriate and completely bollocks. Why? Because those products cost literally *hundreds of dollars more* than an RX 480--which makes sense to everyone whose "beans are gathered in one place," etc., ad infinitum. And this is leaving aside, for the moment, the fact that *all* nVidia GPU hardware is for the moment somewhat d3d12-deficient. Moreover, lest you think me me unduly negative where nVidia is concerned, I firmly believe that given enough time and resources, nVidia *will* be able to produce an actual d3d12 hardware-compliant GPU! It is merely a matter of time--d3d15-compliant hardware may well surface before then--but maybe not and maybe nVidia might eventually get it right in a mere twelve more months, or so! Let's be optimistic, folks, and let it never be uttered that I am not excruciatingly fair!

At any rate, what we do know is that AMD's high-end d3d12-authentic GPU products will appear for sale in the next six months or less, it would appear. At that point, the poor nVidia customer will not have to energetically point at AMD's low-to-middle end and say, "Golly! Running older software and paying 200%-500% more will get you a nVidia product which might be as much as 50% faster in some non-d3d12 cases!" (*Sniff* I almost want to weep for green as it is just...so...sa-sa-a-a-aaaaad!)

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Jul 10, 2016, 17:41 WaltC

Games industry needs to hire starving journalists about as much as it needs to hire starving ambulance cha--er, lawyers. Which is to say, ugh--not at all! You can read a couple of game reviews if you want--and I always have--but then I religiously go to the game forums and read the wide assortment of comments written there by people who have actually bought the game and are playing it. You really can't go too far wrong there.

Most "reviews" are puff pieces that deliberately obfuscate things like "checkpoint saves" and so on--I hate checkpoint saves and usually will not buy a game on that basis alone. Save anywhere on demand is a must-have for me. It's amazing the stuff that most reviews don't say--but it's equally amazing that this kind of information is readily available in game forums and it's free. I feel sorry for people so lazy they don't want to read and rely on "video reviews" exclusively--but that's their fault. It's a caveat emptor world.

But the game market is so much larger today than it was 30 years ago that the kind of game information you simply couldn't get in advance then (no Internet--gaming mags had 90-day lead times, etc.) practically grows on trees today...! Lord bless the Internet...;)

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
11. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 9, 2016, 18:22 WaltC

I'm on Win10x64 build 14383 and I've been running Win10 as my primary OS at home since Feb-March 2015 (Insider's program--still in it.) I find it by far the best thing Microsoft's ever done--my SSD boots in 9.5 seconds (220 + games and applications installed on my Win10 system at home) and I don't have a single application or game that I ran under Win7 & 8/.1 that won't run under 10. I find game compatibility better than Win7 by a decent margin, and although I had to make DEP exceptions to get several games to run under 8.1 I no longer have to do even that to get the same games to run under Win10. Win10 is free, for life--there's just nothing to think about--if you wait it's gonna' cost you when you change.

Like with any OS upgrade, though, 3rd-party hardware drivers can be a bugaboo--which is why I always buy 1st-tier hardware peripherals--because the big companies generally have great OS driver support. People with laptops and some cheap desktop components may have difficulty getting Win10 driver support from the maker of their hardware peripherals, though. The manufacturer of the peripherals you buy is responsible for supporting his hardware under Win10--not Microsoft. If your network card, for instance, won't operate properly under Win10 the place to bitch is the maker of the network card--not Microsoft, which doesn't make or sell it, etc. If the makers of the hardware you own support Win10 with driver support like they support other OSes then Win10 is a cake walk--you should have no trouble at all. Heck, I remember WinXP--in the first year it had much worse overall driver support than Win10 has now, and of course XP was never free and for life...;) (If you build your own desktops like I do then your Win10 license will *never expire*--mine for instance is tied to my Microsoft account and not to my hardware...) Anyway, for what it's worth, I think it's fine.

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider DirectX 12 Patch
15. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider DirectX 12 Patch Jul 9, 2016, 08:48 WaltC

{PH}88fingers wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 01:24:
shihonage wrote on Jul 8, 2016, 23:00:
Remember all the hype about DX11/12 offering direct hardware access pipeline which would make PCs graphics output as optimized as on consoles?

What a pile of ass.

a game has to be programmed from the ground up, these late "patches" to patch in dx12 is never going to get the performance increase you think it will.

Yes, indeed, if the game engine isn't written to require d3d12 (meaning that it won't run on anything less than d3d12) it isn't really a "d3d12" game. These d3d11-game bolt-on patches add very limited supported for a few d3d12 features, but that's a far cry from a ground-up d3d12 game engine. Developers do the bolt-on patches for marketing purposes.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2016, 15:35 WaltC

The "great" thing about Lost in Space was that most of the acting was simply horrific--giving "terrible" a whole new dimension...;)  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Neo won't shorten PS4 lifecycle Jun 22, 2016, 19:06 WaltC

Creston wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 13:04:
Uh-huh. At least not until Neo achieves a significant market volume. At that point, bye PS4.

Which really doesn't matter at all...;) It's like when you buy a new GPU and you say goodbye to the old one...ho-humm, technology marches on, etc....I don't know why people make a big deal over this. The days of consoles advancing with the speed of glaciers are thankfully over--and now that consoles are actually AMD x86 PCs inside, advances will come almost as fast as they do for the x86 PC hardware market--which is to say, "Lightning fast"...;) All the more reason to just buy a PC to start with, eh? There are surely no consoles in my future (or past, for that matter.) Buyt for people who prefer consoles for their simplicity, there's never been a better time to buy a Neo or a Scorpio console...:D It is also good to see the hardware makers lighting fires under the butts of the lazy console game developers among us...!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2016, 09:55 WaltC

nin wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 09:43:
That squirrel video had me laughing my ass off. Crazy how fast they move, even sideways...

edit: Also, if I'm reading this right, Anton's car was a 2015, which was recalled...

From what I read...doesn't apply, though, as the Jeep was found in *neutral* and running. His driveway was a steep incline, and apparently he jumped out, left it in neutral and walked behind it for some reason--and it rolled backwards into him and pinned him against a wall. Very bad form to exit any vehicle without first putting the transmission into park, imo. On an incline, you also engage the parking brake. How tragic. Thought he made a great Chekov.

682 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo