User information for WaltC

Real Name
WaltC
Nickname
WaltSee
Email
Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
I was about to begin listing the enormous number of superlatives that would at least represent a modest attempt at the Herculean task of describing myself. Alas, this cannot be done in 250 characters or less.
Homepage
Signed On
January 31, 2003
Supporter
-
Total Posts
1542 (Pro)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

1542 Comments. 78 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    78  ] Older

Re: EVGA RMAs DOA RTX GPUs
Jul 23, 2021, 15:05
Re: EVGA RMAs DOA RTX GPUs Jul 23, 2021, 15:05
Jul 23, 2021, 15:05

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 23, 2021, 14:19:
I have so many questions about this situation still: What fucking code was in the New World game that could physically damage or apparently destroy a video card? (Uncapped FPS in the menu, seriously?) Why wasn't that prevented by hardware/software on the card? Is this going to lead to a new set of malicious attacks on video cards by virus makers? Was it just EVGA? If so, why isn't the fix an EVGA driver fix? etc. etc.

Towards the bottom the article in PC Gamer, it indicates other Nvidia and some AMD cards have also been destroyed by New World, so maybe don't play that piece of malware anytime soon.

Also, reason number 9008209 to not beta test or alpha test software, especially on your own computer.

What I read by the game devs makes little sense--they said it was because there was no frame cap--so their "fix" was to implement a frame cap! Ridiculous...my default for every game I have is no frame cap--vsync off...never heard of anything like this. EVGA has acknowledged a hardware flaw somewhere--and I've never seem game code that could cause a properly operating GPU to fail. Only thing I can think of is that the 3090's firmware got too aggressive on the automatic overclocks and failed to throttle and certain sensitive chips burned up as a result. Firmware bug, chip fault=design flaw, nothing to do with the game software. Game devs should not have budged, imo. Very strange all around.
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Jul 22, 2021, 20:42
Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 22, 2021, 20:42
Jul 22, 2021, 20:42

Yucks with Zuck: Speaking of Zuckerberg, he's having his 14th birthday party tomorrow, I heard! I had no idea he was that old, judging by his photographs and his acne and his completed academic record--time flies, whew. Guest Speaker will be the Twitter guy himself, Dorsey-somebody, replete with trademark heavy mid-eastern style beard and his usual piercings of gold and platinum facial jewelry (surgical steel would be less prone to infection, but when I posted about it on Twitter he banned me and deleted my post--so I guess he never found out about that.) Supposedly, the big event of the day is Dorsey's speech, entitled, "The Good Sides of Attila the Hun, Adolph Hitler, Stalin, and Mouth-of-Dung and What We Can Learn From Them" (I may have misspelled that last murderous dictator's name, if so, I beg pardon.) The advance program this writer has seen for the day's activities says that an ice-cream finale topped off with barrels of authentic "Jonestown Kool-AID" should serve to conclude the festivities. Surviving guests will each be given a copy of Zuck's latest self-published, self-help book, "You've Learned How to Hate Yourself, Now Here's what to do about It!", the content of which should be self-evident. Tickets are only $1500, and it's a B-Y-R gathering (which I think means, Bring Your own Rope, or similar.) Kids today...what can you do?...;)
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Re: Morning Interviews
Jul 21, 2021, 14:51
Re: Morning Interviews Jul 21, 2021, 14:51
Jul 21, 2021, 14:51

Buzzwords seem to be getting longer and longer...;)

Re: New World Beta Bricking 3090 GPUs? [Updated]
Jul 21, 2021, 14:49
Re: New World Beta Bricking 3090 GPUs? [Updated] Jul 21, 2021, 14:49
Jul 21, 2021, 14:49

I can only imagine the sheer delight EVGA 3090 owners must feel at seeing the card they purchased for $3k-$4k suddenly giving up the ghost after a couple of months.

Jul 21, 2021, 09:55
Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 21, 2021, 09:55
Jul 21, 2021, 09:55

So thankful that never in my life have been that desperate for a GPU. No telling what they paid for the privilege...;)

Re: Sunday Metaverse
Jul 18, 2021, 14:42
Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 18, 2021, 14:42
Jul 18, 2021, 14:42

America is a nation founded on debate; medical, scientific, political, you name it--debate takes you to the best places. Can't understand this latest foray into censorship and banning people simply because of their opinions. If the entities like FB could debate the opinions they don't like it would enrich the people reading--but censorship does absolutely nothing except to demonstrate the ignorance of the censoring party. Just because they don't like an opinion, and cannot argue with it intelligently, certainly doesn't mean the censored opinion is wrong, not even close. So Facebook, Twitter, et al, who ban both opinions and people most definitely enable hate and disinformation in the process. I'd like to see censorship outlawed on websites open to public commentary and a choice given to these entities--they may answer the opinion stating why they believe it is wrong, or they may print what the public writes and say and do nothing about it--but under no circumstance should they be allowed to censor posts, ban people, or tag them with stupid little notes that deliberately discredit them without proving them wrong or in any way misleading.

Egregious profanity and/or threats of violence against named individuals should of course be censored--but absolutely nothing else at all, imo.

Re: New Tom Clancy Game Reveal Tomorrow
Jul 18, 2021, 14:26
Re: New Tom Clancy Game Reveal Tomorrow Jul 18, 2021, 14:26
Jul 18, 2021, 14:26

Yes, Clancy has been deceased for a while now...but they still keep trading on his name.

Re: Resident Evil Re:Verse Re:Delayed
Jul 15, 2021, 12:55
Re: Resident Evil Re:Verse Re:Delayed Jul 15, 2021, 12:55
Jul 15, 2021, 12:55

Was anyone actually waiting on this?...;)

Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Plans
Jul 9, 2021, 10:00
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Plans Jul 9, 2021, 10:00
Jul 9, 2021, 10:00

Acleacius wrote on Jul 8, 2021, 20:16:
Is the game still locked in the first area/hub/chapter as it was when released?

Game hasn't been released yet. What is released is the Early Access...which is chapter 1, only. (All of Larian's EA's do it this way.) Won't see the rest until the full game ships, hopefully in 2022.

Re: AMD RX 6600 XT price rumors could disappoint gamers hunting for a budget GPU
Jul 8, 2021, 18:26
Re: AMD RX 6600 XT price rumors could disappoint gamers hunting for a budget GPU Jul 8, 2021, 18:26
Jul 8, 2021, 18:26

Simon Says wrote on Jul 8, 2021, 12:48:

~Same perf +/- 5% as 5700XT @399$ released 2 years ago.

Rumored price? 399$.

*facepalm*

My trusty Internet Fib Gauge says that on a good day, one out of every ten Internet rumors is at least 50% accurate...;)

Re: Morning Metaverse
Jul 6, 2021, 17:10
Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2021, 17:10
Jul 6, 2021, 17:10

Same-old, same-old...Edge ships with Windows...FF x64 DE is far better, imo. Really don't like Edge. Doesn't by any means mean that more people use and like Edge--that I simply cannot believe...;)

Re: Might & Magic X - Legacy Broken, Removed from Sale
Jul 6, 2021, 17:06
Re: Might & Magic X - Legacy Broken, Removed from Sale Jul 6, 2021, 17:06
Jul 6, 2021, 17:06

Game was a cash grab on the M&M name. Never lived up to its potential--never got really fixed and six months after it shipped Ubisoft abandoned it. Disappointing.

Re: Out of the Blue
Jul 5, 2021, 12:53
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2021, 12:53
Jul 5, 2021, 12:53

Now you've done it, Blue! My mouth is watering uncontrollably! ...;)

Re: Independent Mobilization
Jul 5, 2021, 12:48
Re: Independent Mobilization Jul 5, 2021, 12:48
Jul 5, 2021, 12:48

Hah-hah, nice comment, Blue...;) One of the oddest things I've come across in recent years is a belief that the dollar-store computers used to "self-drive" automobiles are better drivers than human beings. Like all such R&D crazes go, this kind of gossip is circulated in order to stimulate investment $$$ into the particular buzzword craze of the week/month/year. We've long known that self-driving vehicles aren't very good drivers at night, or in inclement weather, or on curvy roads, or at speeds much faster than 35-45 mph in broad daylight, in heavy traffic, etc. What happens when you approach an intersection where the stop signs are down or the stoplight is not working? Pedestrians are also problematic. Safe driving requires judgment as much as reflexes, and no computer has the first angstrom of judgment. The amazing thing is the number of people who have literally died sleeping in the back seat, letting their cars "drive themselves" on a busy freeway, and so on! The fact that the number even amounts to so much as 1 is a testament to the inability of some unfortunates to be unable to separate fact from fiction--a malady that in many investors seems quite deficient. I guess for some folks greed conquers all.

Re: Out of the Blue
Jul 4, 2021, 16:30
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2021, 16:30
Jul 4, 2021, 16:30

Happy Fourth of July! I like that word "Manstovia," Blue--chuckle every time I see it...;)

Jul 3, 2021, 10:49
Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 3, 2021, 10:49
Jul 3, 2021, 10:49

AI: garbage in, garbage out. But as it is ever true of such endeavors, new and interesting sci-fi buzzwords are constantly being employed to stimulate the real goal, which is raising investment cash. Always and forevermore.

Re: EA Motive's Dead Space a Reboot: Report
Jul 1, 2021, 22:19
Re: EA Motive's Dead Space a Reboot: Report Jul 1, 2021, 22:19
Jul 1, 2021, 22:19

Sad to see EA lost in a fog of "un-originality"--afraid to put development money into a game that doesn't copy, more or less, the elements found in a wholly different game, by a different developer--but successful. When you see a movie studio putting out cookie-cutter movies you know that they are deep in the throes of desperation--having no confidence in their ability to create an original but successful game! At that point I'd say the bean-counters are running the company, and as we all know, bean counters have all the creativity of a wooden nickle, generally speaking.

The only thing I didn't like about Dead Space was the fact that the control bugs (mouse/keyboard) were so bad I literally couldn't play the game. There might have been other major bugs that I wouldn't have liked, but if so, I'll never experience them (thankfully.)

Advice to Motive: Make the game you want to make and make the Dead Space that should have been made, sans all of the show-stopper bugs (PC version.) And don't worry about what Capcom is doing.

Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit
Jun 28, 2021, 21:18
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 28, 2021, 21:18
Jun 28, 2021, 21:18

First thing Avellone should do is to drop the "100 Jane Does" as defendants--I mean, if he doesn't know who they are then he surely cannot prove they conspired against him, imo. Perhaps he imagines he will learn the identity of the small army of nameless women after Karissa Barrows & Kelly Bristol have been tortured for a few days, maybe? Bamboo shunts under the fingernails, I hear, is very effective in "making them talk." After that, a little rubber hose action coupled with bright lights, loud bangs, sleep deprivation, and injections of scopolamine, of course, the "truth serum"--and he will get the names of the female death squad conspiring to make his life a living hell for no reason at all. You know what they say, "Hell hath no fury like 100 scorned Jane Does!"

Karissa Barrows and Kelly Bristol are perhaps unwitting puppets being manipulated by this horde of the anonymous, 100 angry women who obviously loathe Avellone so much that they are completely unwilling to say a word about him or to even state their names for the record! No doubt, Avellone has deduced their existence all on his own, without a shred of empirical evidence to guide him! Aside, of course, from the knowledge that two defendants for whom he does have names are not likely to have conceived this nefarious plot against him without the help of the 100 vicious Jane Does! Yes, yes...it's all so obvious.

[not.] (Sounds like a publicity stunt by Avellone to me! Designed to cast scorn and derision on both sides of this melodrama, of course...;))

Re: Cyberpunk 2077's
Jun 27, 2021, 19:53
Re: Cyberpunk 2077's Jun 27, 2021, 19:53
Jun 27, 2021, 19:53

Bishi wrote on Jun 27, 2021, 18:26:

Witcher 3 was a yawn fest combat wise but at least had great writing / side-quests. This game was such a step back in so many ways.

Either way, no matter what you expected it did not deliver based on trailers and hype.

Agreed...after I looked at those "demo/trailers" I didn't expect enough from this game to be interested in picking it up. For a 2015 release, the Witcher 3's graphics were excellent, I thought. With a nice texture mod or two in place, the game still looks good five years later. I think what saved the Witcher 3 in comparison with Punk was the decision to go with the PC first and then later do versions for the consoles--it allowed them to concentrate on the PC platform exclusively--as CDPR had done with the two preceding (successful) Witcher games as well. Trying to do PS4, PS5, and the two new xBoxen & the PC simultaneously really got them all screwed up, imo, and the resulting game looked it and played screwed up in every respect. Still, my biggest turn off with Punk was the content--you couldn't pay me to live in Night City--no way...;) I really hope CDPR is going to do a Witcher 4 game--somehow, though, I feel like it's not going to happen. Hope I'm wrong!

Re: Chris Avellone Responds to Harassment Allegations
Jun 27, 2021, 14:53
Re: Chris Avellone Responds to Harassment Allegations Jun 27, 2021, 14:53
Jun 27, 2021, 14:53

What a ridiculous waste of time and energy. He said-she said, the oldest dog fight. It's nothing that a little maturity won't fix, but until then--what a waste.
1542 Comments. 78 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    78  ] Older