User information for WaltC

Real Name
WaltC
Nickname
WaltSee
Email
Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
I was about to begin listing the enormous number of superlatives that would at least represent a modest attempt at the Herculean task of describing myself. Alas, this cannot be done in 250 characters or less.
Homepage
Signed On
January 31, 2003
Supporter
-
Total Posts
1739 (Pro)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

1739 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    87  ] Older

Re: Get Borderlands 3 for Free
May 19, 2022, 15:00
Re: Get Borderlands 3 for Free May 19, 2022, 15:00
May 19, 2022, 15:00

Never was interested in these because of the cartoony production values...never bought any of them. But now I'll grab it just to see if my original disdain for these games was justified...for those lazy days of summer, and other cliché'.
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Re: Evening Legal Briefs
May 19, 2022, 09:49
Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 19, 2022, 09:49
May 19, 2022, 09:49

The blame game commences...along with the usual backdoor taxation fervor. Politicians seeking to make political capital from a tragedy.
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Re: GreedFall 2 Announced
May 18, 2022, 15:47
Re: GreedFall 2 Announced May 18, 2022, 15:47
May 18, 2022, 15:47

Thanks for the comments...been looking at GreedFall for a while now, just haven't decided...

Re: Morning Mobilization
May 17, 2022, 15:21
Re: Morning Mobilization May 17, 2022, 15:21
May 17, 2022, 15:21

Apple is a company which doesn't much believe in "asking" much of anything, I've noticed. More like, "This is what we want, so suck it down!"...;)

Re: Morning Tech Bits
May 16, 2022, 14:56
Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2022, 14:56
May 16, 2022, 14:56

Don't you guys just love all the BS that gets circulated every time there's a new product in the works?...;) It's always amusing...I read one the other day about a 900W GPU--don't recall whose it was supposed to be. But it had ~8,000,000 shader engines and 128GBs of "DDR5" onboard, etc. Always amusing to read these rumors...;) They get more ridiculous each year.

Re: Morning Postmortems
May 16, 2022, 14:49
Re: Morning Postmortems May 16, 2022, 14:49
May 16, 2022, 14:49

I skipped this one...requiring the Internet connection that put a lot of game elements server-side only turned me off. I like the original games much better, and the D2 remaster is a lot of fun--but the "auction house"--or whatever it was in D3, left me uninterested. I never changed, oddly enough. Still don't want it.

Re: Elden Ring Runs Rings Around CoD
May 13, 2022, 19:56
Re: Elden Ring Runs Rings Around CoD May 13, 2022, 19:56
May 13, 2022, 19:56

The pandemic lockdowns created a special situation last year that isn't normal, of course. Hardware and software sales were way above normal from people trapped in their homes. Comparing this year to last year is sort of useless because of that. Actually, the first quarter for hardware and software sales is traditionally a dead, flat quarter, considering the first quarter comes right after the Christmas quarter at the end of the year. And actually, AMD had a bang-up, record-breaking first quarter, with Lisa Su saying in the quarterly report that their sales were driven by CPUs & GPUs, primarily. In the future, she says, AMD will be breaking these into separate categories. Intel had a fairly decent quarter, too, but lost business in client computing sales and of course Intel at this date has no income at all from discrete GPUs. Supposedly those products will be coming at the end of the summer, or thereabouts, Intel says. So, I don't see any reason to be concerned with the direction of the computer hardware and software markets--they are robust and AMD, at least, has an exciting product portfolio coming up this year. Su also said that she expects this year to be AMD's most profitable year yet, which bodes very well for Zen 4 and RDNA3, imo.

Re: Evil Dead: The Game Released
May 13, 2022, 18:32
Re: Evil Dead: The Game Released May 13, 2022, 18:32
May 13, 2022, 18:32

I read that the game takes all of about 30 minutes to finish! Hah-Hah...;) I thought, why bother?

Re: Morning Metaverse
May 13, 2022, 14:49
Re: Morning Metaverse May 13, 2022, 14:49
May 13, 2022, 14:49

He wants to discover whether Twitter is continuing to lie about the ratio of people to bots who hold Twitter accounts. Twitter says ~5% are bots, but if it turns out to be substantially more than that are bots, not real accounts, it will affect his offer, I would think, as Twitter would be worth less. Just due diligence. I don't think he is interested in coughing up a billion and looking nutso...;)

Re: New AMD Adrenalin Drivers; AMD FSR 2.0 Launches Thursday
May 11, 2022, 08:30
Re: New AMD Adrenalin Drivers; AMD FSR 2.0 Launches Thursday May 11, 2022, 08:30
May 11, 2022, 08:30

There is actually a second driver released--called a "Release Preview" driver, that AMD recommends above 22.5.1, oddly enough, for RDNA2. Supposedly it is a "performance driver" instead of a beta driver. I installed it, and so far it's fine.

This comment was edited on May 11, 2022, 08:54.

Re: Steam Antitrust Case Moves Forward
May 10, 2022, 16:07
Re: Steam Antitrust Case Moves Forward May 10, 2022, 16:07
May 10, 2022, 16:07

Perfectly rational reason to cheer for a company is...if you like their products...;) It's rational, and it's logical. Since companies involved in the same markets compete with each other, it doesn't make much sense to call that "anticompetitive." That competition spawns innovation and product development. Corporations often hire lots of people, and those people pay taxes, and etc. It's rather silly to think of all corporations as "evil". Corporations employ lots of folks, some of those folks are saints, some are real a-holes. I've worked with both, and I can tell you the saints are better! Government is nothing but a giant corporation with the proviso that unlike commercial corporations, which can be sued by anyone, any time, and can go broke if they make crummy products no one wants to buy, the government cannot be sued unless it gives you permission to sue it, and it never has to worry about going broke since it can deficit spend forever. You and I, however, if we deficit spend, we go to jail for writing bad checks. You can elect to ignore a company's products if you don't like them, but try that with your taxes, and...maybe it's jail, again...;)

Anyway, I feel that Valve will likely skate on this one. If you think about "anticompetitive," it is usually always a term used by one company's competitor who cannot keep up. Suing another company like that is usually a sign of desperation, imo. Not sure why I responded here, actually, as I prefer GOG to Steam, but I also am a Steam customer, and an Epic customer, etc, and etc. I buy from them all. Steam has a heads up the on other companies simply because it was the first one out of the gate with a successful online software distribution model. When Valve first launched Steam, right after the HL2 games were shipped--or some time in that area, IIRC, I didn't think it was a sound strategy because Internet speeds back then were a fraction of what they are today, but then games were a fraction as large as they are today, as well. Gabe guessed right, I guessed wrong, with company, and there it is...;)

May 10, 2022, 09:11
Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2022, 09:11
May 10, 2022, 09:11

Bought a 6900 XT last week from the AMD Store at its Dec 2020 MSRP. They've still got some in stock.

Re: NVIDIA Fined for Not Disclosing Crypto Boost
May 7, 2022, 08:35
Re: NVIDIA Fined for Not Disclosing Crypto Boost May 7, 2022, 08:35
May 7, 2022, 08:35

It's like I always thought during the last year of GPU shortages, nVidia and AMD know who is buying their GPUs and have knowledge of what they are being used for. The only reason I can think of for the SEC to come down so hard on nVidia about this, as it seems to me very trivial, is because they have proof that nVidia knew beyond any doubt what its GPUs were being used for, and failed to disclose it. Generally, I'd say that nVidia can't know what its customers do with the GPUs when it sells them, so there must have been no doubt that nVidia knew the GPUs were going to cryptomining use--likely organized networks--instead of to the usual gaming-use retailers, and chose not to disclose it for some reason.

Re: OotB: Mas tacos!
May 6, 2022, 08:35
Re: OotB: Mas tacos! May 6, 2022, 08:35
May 6, 2022, 08:35

Centrifuge story was really interesting I thought...although, what sort of satellite could withstand being spun at 5000 miles per hour & thousands of G's, and then shot out of the cannon mouth?....;) Have to be a fairly solid satellite to make it to orbit in one piece....!

Re: Biz Buzz
May 6, 2022, 08:28
Re: Biz Buzz May 6, 2022, 08:28
May 6, 2022, 08:28

eRe4s3r wrote on May 6, 2022, 06:49:
But maybe she will resign in 2 years because of a "sexist and toxic" work place. Would not surprise me.

Along with the obligatory lawsuit seeking millions because "John Doe asked me to go out when we were in line for the water fountain, and--horror of horrors--he did it twice! I've never been so offended!"...;)

Re: Evening Safety Dance
May 6, 2022, 08:23
Re: Evening Safety Dance May 6, 2022, 08:23
May 6, 2022, 08:23

If you use a laptop, I'd stay away from Win11, unless your laptop maker has a version especially made for your particular laptop model. Best course by far with a laptop is to stick with whatever OS your laptop shipped with. Desktops ship with standardized drivers that all adhere to a standard driver spec, but laptops need custom hardware drivers that in almost all cases can be supplied only by the maker of the laptop--because laptops are custom devices themselves. I haven't seen this bug at all, but I'm on desktops only.

In fact, I don't think I've seen a single bug Techradar has reported, yet.

Re: More Ravenholm (Cancelled Half-Life Game) Footage
May 5, 2022, 08:55
Re: More Ravenholm (Cancelled Half-Life Game) Footage May 5, 2022, 08:55
May 5, 2022, 08:55

I think they had a winner here...a bit more work, a couple more areas aside from the hospital, and it would have been popular and successful.

Re: ItB: Darkness
May 4, 2022, 08:49
Re: ItB: Darkness May 4, 2022, 08:49
May 4, 2022, 08:49

I don't know why sites think making up death reports due to "Covid" is a great thing to do. So many have done exactly that. It finally seems to be abating, however--except for this BS story, it's been awhile since I've read one. It's very sad. That poor person didn't have time to go to a doctor, let alone get diagnosed. The lie is because the sad little author wanted to say something negative about dropping mask mandates, even though they've been entirely useless against any virus since Fauci went from recommending that no one wear masks because they wouldn't help, to the opposite. Might as well buy magnets and wear them as wear cloth masks for "protection". Education seems frowned on these days by some.

May 3, 2022, 18:02
Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2022, 18:02
May 3, 2022, 18:02

In my Win11 build, 22610.100, the auto HDR slider is there--but it doesn't work...;) It doesn't even "slide"...;) I was looking forward to seeing how that would work. But no workee, here.

Re: Activision Asks Shareholders to Vote to Stay in the Dark
May 3, 2022, 17:58
Re: Activision Asks Shareholders to Vote to Stay in the Dark May 3, 2022, 17:58
May 3, 2022, 17:58

This is about as interesting as watching paint dry...;) Wake me when they ship something I might be interested in, otherwise, I don't care about reading more "welfare for starving lawyers" accounts.
1739 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    87  ] Older