Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 808 (Graduate)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway
11. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway Nov 26, 2017, 12:42 WaltC

Ah, too bad for the Intel shills--making up more crap about AMD...;) Game fired up fine--immediately--if there are problems with it, they have nothing to do with AMD hardware.

Seriously, it's highly amusing, the last time I heard this kind of crap from Intel shills was 17-20 years ago--have never heard it since, except for today, posted by someone who has no clue (as usual)...;) What is it, I wonder, that motivates people to lie about hardware?...can't figure it, myself. Where do they come up with these brilliant deductions?...;) Ah, well...the more things change the more they stay the same...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway
8. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway Nov 26, 2017, 12:05 WaltC

Slashman wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 08:29:

And this is why I don't buy AMD hardware. I refuse to have to wait every time a new game launches for AMD to provide patches to make it so I can run the game that nVidia/Intel people are running with no issues. The list just keeps getting longer. I refuse to stand in line for AMD.

Only people I know who "wait" on things related to gaming are Mac owners who later decide they'd like to play a few games...;) They all use Intel cpus, but it doesn't help them in the least--object lesson there is, if you like gaming *at all* then do *not* buy a Mac--unless you are planning on running Bootcamp--which is a lot of hassle to go through unnecessarily, as there is nothing a Mac can do that any half-decent x86 Windows box can't do, and a lot that the Mac can't do at all (like gaming support, for instance.) But moving on...

Your post has me wondering if Intel hasn't dropped back to paying idiot shills to lie about AMD hardware online (again) just to discourage people who don't know better from buying AMD. (Only you know whether you are a shill or you aren't--all I can determine is that you are either woefully ignorant or you are a shill, paid or otherwise.) If Intel has reverted to this kind of nonsense talk then God help 'em, they must be worried to death. Intel hasn't been the only x86 cpu game in town for over twenty years, regardless of how wistfully Intel pines for its halcyon days as the King of the Hill cpu Monopolist...;) With any luck Intel will never see that market position ever again.

But addressing your remarks, specifically: you're an idiot, and I say this in the nicest of ways--I'm not saying it unkindly--you are just almost two decades behind the curve, that's all.

I've been using AMD exclusively at home since 1999--my last personal Intel cpu was purchased in 1998--and I've never looked back nor had the first reason to do so. In all of that time I have never purchased a game that refused to run--or that even gave me problems--because I was using an AMD cpu. Not even once. My GOG library presently consists of 273 games--from the most recent to 30-year-old titles; my Steam Library holds 52 games, and my Origin library holds 47 titles--Ubisoft library I think is maybe 5 titles--with no overlap among any of these distributors. Additionally, I think I still have 15-20 disk-based games that I rarely use anymore but which I keep for purely sentimental reasons. But gee, every single one of these games has something in common, as in they *all* run fine on my AMD hardware--even if that hum-drum fact amazes and astounds you...;) [I'll give you a moment to come up for air. I realize this must be somewhat of a shock for people whose technical knowledge about the world we live in hasn't grown a mm in the last two decades!]

Quick lesson in computer tech for you: If you are using a 64-bit Intel Core 2 cpu, or a later derivative thereof, you are running AMD (whether you like it or not) because all (and I mean all) 64-bit x86 Intel cpus license and use AMD's x86-64 extensions. Yep, every 64-bit Intel cpu has licensed the tech from AMD--which is no big whoop because AMD and Intel for decades have worked together and cross-licensed a whole bunch of stuff...;) (Rarely does AMD need Intel's IP, but as in this case, Intel is often in need of AMD's, as it turns out.)

It all happened during the two decades you've been *asleep*. *All* current x86 64-bit desktop computing owes its origins to AMD--not Intel...[I have neither the time nor the inclination to educate you on Itanium--now at long last finally and forever defunct--Itanium is where Intel imagined moving the masses for 64-bit desktop computing at the time of Intel's *actual ad campaign* about AMD's A64, which amounted to Intel saying in advertisements: "You don't need 64-bits on the desktop." Actual quote. Yes, Intel actually ran ads with that text because AMD had caught it flat-footed with the A-64--technology for which Intel had no marketable answer at the time. The A64 pulverized Intel's "finest" at the time and sent the original 32-bit Pentium architecture to the scrap heap--Intel cancelled it because it could not compete with AMD's [64-bit] cpu designs at the time.

In fact, it's been a long time since your remarks ever had any meaning, and the only reason they would have then (18 years ago) is because the compilers the game devs were using were not yet optimizing and in some cases even supporting AMD x86 cpus. But those issues disappeared long ago--and they simply are not issues today--at all, no way, no how...;) Hasn't been an issue for many years, in fact.

I'm going to check out this game myself today on GOG to see if it's true that a game developer might go out of his way to deliberately code a game to detect and then not run if AMD hardware is present. If that's true then this developer can look forward to a long, cold, exceedingly hard winter ahead...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Demo
4. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Demo Nov 23, 2017, 00:07 WaltC

Jerykk wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 23:40:
Bethesda's games seem to go on sale real quick. Wolfenstein II and Evil Within 2 both came out about a month ago and they're already 50% off. Even more surprising is that the Wolfenstein season pass is 50% off on a bunch of sites too.

Don't forget the effect Black Friday and the related Thanksgiving sales are having this week...;)

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Nov 21, 2017, 11:38 WaltC

Games certainly should be less expensive because the market for them is at least 20x bigger than it was in the 90's--maybe 50x. Duh. "Analysts" seem to understand less and less as time moves on. Back then 100,000 copies sold was a giant blockbuster--today it isn't unheard of to see a game sell 5,000,000 or more copies. I guess this "analyst" isn't familiar with the term "economies of scale"--which is the whole story behind all computer tech.  

News Comments > New AMD Drivers (Sort Of)
8. Re: New AMD Drivers (Sort Of) Nov 15, 2017, 10:37 WaltC

headkase wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 18:37:
WaltC wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 16:44:
headkase wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 01:03:
WaltC wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 21:17:
All of the Crimson drivers install fine with Secure boot on...;) IE, AMD WHQL drivers are not required for secure-boot support. (Where did that come from?...;))
Secure boot is a UEFI feature that goes from cold start to full desktop loaded with a cryptographic chain of signatures from start to end. If a signature fails then the file is not what was signed off by the provider and boot stops. If you're a BIOS system (or have CSM enabled in a UEFI firmware), 32-bit Windows, or have Secure Boot disabled in your firmware THEN you can use non-signed drivers. I believe versions of Windows prior to Windows 10 weren't as strict with Secure Boot. With Windows 10 the three conditions do apply.

The signatures are not limited to Microsoft. Any operating system can have their keys in the firmware to do a Secure Boot. Most mainboards just come with Microsoft keys already in the firmware though, and some mainboards will not let you both change the root signature OR boot without Secure Boot. Those systems, and they do exist, are limited to booting a Microsoft key.

I build my own systems and have for the last 22 years. I Know what secure boot is...;) Have never had an AMD driver refuse to boot into secure boot--AMD beta drivers are not unsigned--I would have thought everyone would know by now...;) I'm using Win10x64 version 1709, build 1705--have been in the Insider's beta-test program since 10/2015--only time I have seen AMD drivers fail to support secure boot in all of that time were when Microsoft changed the security *signature* paradigm in a beta build and AMD simply hadn't caught up, yet--still writing for the official releases of Win10. Last time that happened was many months back, and it was temporary with only a couple of beta builds of Win10. I never boot into a secure-boot off state.

Implication in the original post was that AMD beta drivers were unsigned and wouldn't work with secure boot ON, which isn't the case, and I simply wanted to correct that misapprehension...;) Both the betas and the whqls are fully signed and have no problem supporting secure boot--unless Microsoft changes the SHA requirements suddenly--as happened for a couple of the Win10 beta builds. If you weren't in the IP program you'd never have seen a secure-boot failure even once--the drivers were signed--just not properly for the changes Microsoft put into the betas at the time.

Driver signing in Windows 10.

"Beginning with the release of Windows 10, all new Windows 10 kernel mode drivers must be submitted to and digitally signed by the Windows Hardware Developer Center Dashboard portal. Windows 10 will not load new kernel mode drivers which are not signed by the portal."

Driver signing is a fact in Windows 10. Fact. How signatures are implemented I'll have to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Sheeesh...OK, let's try one more time. The only thing I have said about driver signing is that *all AMD drivers*--beta and whql--are signed drivers. That's it. The argument about driver signing is yours, and only yours...;) The original Post here by Blue stated that only whql drivers supported secure boot--which is in error. All of AMD's drivers support it, beta and whql.

6. Re: New AMD Drivers (Sort Of) Nov 14, 2017, 16:44 WaltC

headkase wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 01:03:
WaltC wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 21:17:
All of the Crimson drivers install fine with Secure boot on...;) IE, AMD WHQL drivers are not required for secure-boot support. (Where did that come from?...;))
Secure boot is a UEFI feature that goes from cold start to full desktop loaded with a cryptographic chain of signatures from start to end. If a signature fails then the file is not what was signed off by the provider and boot stops. If you're a BIOS system (or have CSM enabled in a UEFI firmware), 32-bit Windows, or have Secure Boot disabled in your firmware THEN you can use non-signed drivers. I believe versions of Windows prior to Windows 10 weren't as strict with Secure Boot. With Windows 10 the three conditions do apply.

The signatures are not limited to Microsoft. Any operating system can have their keys in the firmware to do a Secure Boot. Most mainboards just come with Microsoft keys already in the firmware though, and some mainboards will not let you both change the root signature OR boot without Secure Boot. Those systems, and they do exist, are limited to booting a Microsoft key.

I build my own systems and have for the last 22 years. I Know what secure boot is...;) Have never had an AMD driver refuse to boot into secure boot--AMD beta drivers are not unsigned--I would have thought everyone would know by now...;) I'm using Win10x64 version 1709, build 1705--have been in the Insider's beta-test program since 10/2015--only time I have seen AMD drivers fail to support secure boot in all of that time were when Microsoft changed the security *signature* paradigm in a beta build and AMD simply hadn't caught up, yet--still writing for the official releases of Win10. Last time that happened was many months back, and it was temporary with only a couple of beta builds of Win10. I never boot into a secure-boot off state.

Implication in the original post was that AMD beta drivers were unsigned and wouldn't work with secure boot ON, which isn't the case, and I simply wanted to correct that misapprehension...;) Both the betas and the whqls are fully signed and have no problem supporting secure boot--unless Microsoft changes the SHA requirements suddenly--as happened for a couple of the Win10 beta builds. If you weren't in the IP program you'd never have seen a secure-boot failure even once--the drivers were signed--just not properly for the changes Microsoft put into the betas at the time.

News Comments > StarCraft II: How Wings of Liberty Owners Can Claim their Free Heart of the Swarm
2. Re: StarCraft II: How Wings of Liberty Owners Can Claim their Free Heart of the Swarm Nov 14, 2017, 16:25 WaltC

Creston wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 13:28:
Dammit, I just bought heart of the swarm like a month or so ago. Sigh.

Yes, hardware or software, it makes no difference--the more patient we are the more we get for our money...;) But--then--we sacrifice the time we could've spent with product x, too. You are certainly not alone! Have done it many times myself. I didn't see this one coming, either.

1. Re: New AMD Drivers (Sort Of) Nov 13, 2017, 21:17 WaltC

News Comments > The Bard's Tale Remastered & Resnarkled
9. Re: The Bard's Tale Remastered & Resnarkled Oct 29, 2017, 01:22 WaltC

Retired wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 16:21:
Anyone here to the Kickstarter for Bards Tale IV? Never got my key and never got the key for Torment....

I also was a BT IV kickstarter--I got BTIV, Torment, and Wasteland II...;) Not too shabby for the $75 donation for that package (The "Tormented, Irradiated Bard" package, I think!)...! BT 4 has yet to ship--it'll ship next year. Torment and WL 2 have both shipped--a while ago--and the keys for them have been given out. Hopefully you have kept up with the inXile Backer Portal!

The BT IV backer Portal is *still under construction*--so check back regularly as the rewards function will be back up anytime now! Also, check with the inXile forums for more info on keeping up with your rewards. The keys are not snail-mailed or emailed--you get them *only* from the BT 4 backer portal on-line! (Send them an email via the backer portal sites if you haven't gotten your s yet--from what you say it sounds as if you waited far too long to grab whatever key you are entitled to--but you can either wait until the BP goes back up or you can email them about it now.

I assume from what you've said that you at least are entitled to Torment--recommend you get the GOG package, if you also want a personal, installable game copy, too (as Steam doesn't provide them for some reason--never has. That's fairly important to me, actually--not to mention Steam still throws in the occasional *DRM*, too, when developers ask for it. That's two strikes against Steam, imo! Only reason I'm still on Steam at all is because there are *a few* games that don't immediately ship on GOG but ship on Steam. Your DRM developers who do that, to be precise, but it's changing!) *Didn't mean to ramble!* Gawd...;)

Of course, what software you get from your KS contribution depends entirely on what package you elected to finance before the the KS ended! WL 2 and Torment are very nice--definite classics for any collection!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 25, 2017, 17:43 WaltC

The idea that single-player games "make money only once" is about as false as it can be...;) There are so many examples of single-player games making money a decade to even three decades or more past the initial sales period. CD PR's Witcher series is an excellent example, along with Larian's OS games, and many others. Gog still continues to sell 30-year old single player games, even! So, the sentiment is not true at all and never has been. It sounds to me much more like an excuse for not wanting to invest in quality single-player games--but rather cheap multiplayer games to turn larger profits--charging more for delivering less, basically. Sentiments like these are *one* of the reasons I've never owned an xBox and never will.  

News Comments > Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking
46. Re: Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking Oct 18, 2017, 16:56 WaltC

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 15:04:
How is this even patentable? The yahoos at the patent office must be drinking la la juice.

If only congress would fix our broken patent system.

Yes, the patent office is ridiculous these days...look how many patents Apple had shot down, for instance...;) Heck, Apple tried to trademark the English word "Apple" for crying out loud! They lost, of course...;) Anyway, the thing is with patents like this all anyone has to do who wishes not to pay the "licensing fee" Activision will charge for Micro transactions is to demonstrate "prior art"--that is, the patented concept (you aren't supposed to be able to patent concepts, anyway--but I think the patent office doesn't know the difference between a concept and a schematic) has been done before by other parties. That's it--patent is dead in the water first time they try and use it. What usually happens is that they wait for many people to use whatever they've patented and then they start the lawsuits, with the idea of making the licensing fees amount to much less than the legal fees required to press their case for prior art. It's lawyers, again, scheming to get their hands into everything people do. Hope it dies a quick death!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 16, 2017, 15:05 WaltC

Uh, oh...Clinton Democrats will scream "Spies! Spies!" just because a company is located in Russia. Clinton thinks she's, how did she put it, "Paula Revere?" Hilarious delusions. What happened to Gas Powered Games, I wonder. Jettisoned? Last I heard the Wargaming owner had bought the company. Who would have thought that in the 21st Century the (D) party would want to fight the cold war all over again! Bah, humbug...;) Ugh...;) Let's give peace a chance, how about it.  

News Comments > Will Lawbreakers Go Free-to-Play?
18. Re: Will Lawbreakers Go Free-to-Play? Oct 14, 2017, 23:10 WaltC

Don't much care what takes Cliffy B. off the stage for good, but I've always been somewhat sad (if that's the word) for Epic ever since the company started going so wrong so many years ago...

If you've got to give away a game to get people to play...it's just possible that not even pushing it as a freebie will help its really poor numbers... Epic with Cliffy B. bet the farm on consoles and lost--consoles are now low-end PCs and PCs are everything. Of course, a few tens-of-millions of us never forgot that--but Epic certainly did. Unreal on the PC put Epic on the map--it's just ironic to see the PC taking both Epic and Cliffy B. off the map, too, finally. Although, in other, more capable hands, the U4 Engine might amount to something besides a lukewarm tech demo and low-budget game engine--who knows?

Sweeney got off to such a great start with Unreal & Return to Nali. Classics--I still have 'em and crank 'em up every now and then for a nostalgic look at Epic's unrealized potential of those days. Ah, what could have been had Sweeney been capable of better judgment at the time!

I still remember reading what I thought at the time was one of Sweeney's most insightful quotes, when he said, paraphrased, "Eighty-ninety percent of the market is single-player, and I don't see that changing anytime soon." Of course, multiplayer is more popular today than it was then, but the thrust of that early Sweeney quote was spot on and still is. Wasn't long after that, though, before he'd dropped the PC as a development platform and even a target platform and started slummin' where there was simply less competition all the way around--a much less demanding hardware market--the consoles.

Then he came out with his hare-brained notion that in 20 years (just about now give or take a couple of years) CPUs and GPUs would merge into one giant multipurpose monster CGPU or GCPU--whichever...;), similar to the monstrous all-purpose, multi-device fad of the late 80's. Sweeney theorized that the death of the CPU and GPU as separate paradigms of design and manufacture was inexorable. For some reason he did not foresee what happened--the simple evolution and continuation of GPUs and CPUs on entirely separate but complementary design and development production tracks! Why he couldn't see the obvious has always puzzled me, but Sweeney couldn't. I was personally very disappointed with Epic's absolute and staggering lack of imagination and its chase after the quick buck with no thought of tomorrow, apparently. Now "tomorrow" is here and Epic's about a decade behind the curve, imo.

That's it--no more wasted nostalgia. OK, enough pining over yesteryear....;) Ugh!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 11:52 WaltC

Timmeh wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 10:44:
We seriously need an complete main stream replacement for Microsoft. They have gone completely wacko out of control with windows 10 and the mandatory and predatory updates.

Nah, Media Player is still in 1709...It can be found in Control Panel/Programs & Features/Turn Windows Programs On or Off/Media Features/Windows Media Player. (Or you can follow the steps listed in the article to find it.) All they've done is make installing/uninstalling Media Player much simpler than it used to be. People get so confused when they simply move a few controls around, for some reason. I have no idea where the author got the idea Microsoft was dropping Media Player, though. I imagine they haven't announced dropping it because they aren't.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet...;) A lot of it is highly misleading.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 17:31 WaltC

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 16:52:
Musk is a big ideas man. He does not bother himself with details, like the island is already essentially bankrupt and like multiple people have mentioned the distribution system must be rebuilt. Not to mention the corrupt public officials that have blocked so much of the rebuild.

Good luck with that Elon.

More like a big con man...;) I've been amazed to see Musk "coming up" with idea after idea taken straight from 1950's and 60's "B" sci-fi...;) And it's all to pitch for more government loan guarantees...Musk is just the resident version of Solyndra who unfortunately won't go away...;) Just more fallout from the Obama administration's nuking of America.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 10:45 WaltC

Retired wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 10:14:
Live life and love it while you have it I guess. I will keep eating meat and drinking beer, because I enjoy it and it is tasty.

From the day we're born one absolute certainty materializes (well, two, if you count taxes)...;) Yep, we're all going die from *something*, sooner or later. I think people should be especially watchful of the politicization of medicine and science, though, because all of that has the potential to *really* mess up a person's life--and maybe bring that moment on much sooner than it would otherwise arrive. Anti-science notions like "Don't get vaccinated," and "You can choose your sex," etc., and many, many more, are real killers. Ignorance kills just as surely as drunk driving, imo.

News Comments > Emulation and the Law
14. Re: Emulation and the Law Oct 1, 2017, 12:28 WaltC

I have etched in my neutronium memory bubble interstice the frozen image of a triumphant, boastful Steve Jobs [rip] toasting the passage of the DMCA with champagne--they threw a party to celebrate many more customer-directed lawsuits to come! How Apple loves to sue at the drop of a hat--but when Apple breaks agreements and copyrights, don't ya' know, why, it's all just done out of "tribute" and to pay "homage." (Jobs' actual words.) Go ahead, take another bite from the poisoned Apple, a company dedicated to n00bs staying n00bs, forever...;) Ugh.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 25, 2017, 16:54 WaltC

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 14:22:
MeanJim wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 12:21:
Why can't they lay cable like that all over the US?

Because then they couldn't charge $100/month for 10mbits down, 1mbit up.

Also, laying new cable cuts into the Hookers and Blow Fund, so why bother since there's nowhere else for consumers to go.

Who is "they"?...;) Some of you guys are so cynical.

I live in the US, my ISP is Comcast, I get 110mBs/down & *up*, unlimited cap, great for Netflix and gaming, cable HD TV--several hundred channels of stuff, and unlimited landline phone service (no LD charges) for $60 per month for the whole package. I'm also on an EWAN in our apartment building for Internet--which definitely helps as I just plug into an RJ45 jack, no modem required. There's a jack in each room in the apartment, and this also supports the wife's Internet access for her separate computer as well--no more paying for separate IP addresses (Comcast dropped that years ago, unless you need it for commercial purposes.) Have a printer and Blue-Ray player on the Internet network as well. If you are paying an ISP $100 per month for 10mbits down, 1mbit up--you need to get a new ISP!

Unless, that is, you are talking about wireless phone service--which, for the Internet--is a gigantic rip off, imo. No way I'm ever falling into that n00b trap...;) They murder you on the hardware, and then they murder you on Internet fees--and caps as small as 5GB a month (which I will often do many times over in a single day.) No way!

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 23, 2017, 11:55 WaltC

For most Mac users, booting up is a "complex" endeavor...;) Apple prides itself on keeping its customers as dumb as possible.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 19, 2017, 16:00 WaltC

Internet of Things: welcome to the dumbing down of America, courtesy of Apple and the (D) party. It doesn't get any dumber than that. Ugh. Thank God I'm too old to be duped by either...;) Jobs and Obama had a lot in common as they are both snake-oil salesmen preying on the dumb and the inexperienced.  

808 Comments. 41 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo