Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 751 (Graduate)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed
6. Re: Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed Jun 18, 2017, 13:55 WaltC

This is one of the reasons I only buy and play (and mod!) single-player games. One of the reasons--there are many more, but I despise the neo-copy protections that some companies are attempting to integrate into even single-player game design--like how single-player Diablo III was ruined by designing key game elements forced to interact with their online servers else the game wouldn't *run*--so that offline mode was killed off even for single play. Then they put in the idiotic *online* auction house ideas, and killed it again. Never bought it--never will, and that's why.

OTOH, just reinstalled the venerable Diablo II--again, for the umpteenth-thousandth time since I bought it in a.d. 1999/2000!...;) Still enjoying the game--*and* the mods, and getting my money's worth! Too bad, Blizzard--I know you must hate it...;)

Blizzard says privately, "It's not fair--it's just not right!--That people should buy our software at full pop on release, at the price we asked, and then use it in perpetuity! Not fair--and we are going to work to make that impossible from now on! And mods? Are they insane? We are going to stomp on that with both feet!"

EA is horrible about that--then there's the last Sim City which arrived DOA because of stupid, online-only single-play mode in which the EA servers were again used as a part of the game's single-play design. What a transparent dodge--it's copy-protection, pure and simple. It also is something I simply won't buy. Ever.

I'm sure Blue's readers could add much more. The bottom line is that when I legally purchase a copy of any game, then so long as I don't copy it-and-sell-the-copy, violating copyright, I can do whatever it is I choose to do with the copy. I can mod it prodigiously, I can fold it, staple it, mutilate it, trash it, play it for thirty years, *even *sell it* if I want--because that copy is *mine.* I bought it and paid for it--the original publisher/developer sold those rights to me when he sold me the copy. Companies like Blizzard are going to find contrary attitudes on their parts will cost them far more than it's worth, imo.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Medal of Honor Pacific Assault Free on Origin
7. Re: Medal of Honor Pacific Assault Free on Origin Jun 18, 2017, 11:28 WaltC

DukeFNukem wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 22:45:
Shouldn't the title be more like "Free Again"? Hasn't this been offered for free in the past by Origin? So, that's all the freebies I guess from the new service.

I picked it up the last time they gave it away...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
7. Re: DiRT 4 Released Jun 10, 2017, 10:06 WaltC

Rigs wrote on Jun 10, 2017, 00:08:
Asked a (probably stupid) question earlier today in the AMD driver thread but I don't think anyone saw it and it's about to fall off the page, so could someone go back and take a look and maybe give me an answer? Pweety Pwease?! Wacko

=-Rigs-=

I also ventured an opinion there...;) Hope it helps!

News Comments > New AMD ReLive Drivers
5. Re: New AMD ReLive Drivers Jun 10, 2017, 10:03 WaltC

Rigs wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 15:31:
So...let me ask a a stupid question regarding this part...

Anyway, my question (after all that exposition) is this - Does AA at 4x, 8x and above, or more 'intensive' versions of AA (say the really strange ones like T(S?)XMSAA) get more resource intensive as the amount of GPU power goes up? In other words, my system falls to it's knees at 8x, would a 1080ti/11gb have no problem using 8x and power through it like butter or is it the 8x equivalent of my system? (and thus bring the 1080 to it's knees but making a much more beautiful picture)? Am I making sense? Is the 8x on my system the same as the 8x on an 1080ti? That's my question. Does it go up exponentially compared to the power it's given? Just curious...

=-Rigs-=

My 8GB RX480 runs Witcher 3 at 3200x1800 VSR (my native monitor res is 2560x1440)without problems, most eye-candy on including hairFX (only the IQ settings I don't think look nice, like motion blur & vignette, etc., are disabled), and at the end of the day with much experimentation I have found this approach best in W3--better than 8x FSAA, either multi-sampling or supersampling, in terms of IQ and performance both. Of course, supersampling is better than multi-sampling by far, as others have already said. VSR (I believe it is DSR on nVidia products) is merely a another form of supersampling. But multisampling comes in handy for much older titles that don't permit supersampling, etc.

Your GPU on-board memory of 1GB knocks you back quite a bit on the FSAA scale, even at 1680x1050--that's what's bringing your system to its knees when you try and pour on the FSAA--you simply do not have enough dedicated GPU ram to do very much in the way of FSAA. I'd recommend that if you plan to stick with your present monitor at minimum you go with a 4GB RX-4/580 @ ~$200 or less (compare pricing). I paid $230 for my 8GB RX-480, for instance. Even on your system at 1680x1050, the more GPU ram you have the better, and the number of VSR resolutions you have available goes up with the amount of GPU ram you have available.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/VSR.aspx

If you stick with your present monitor, then I'd go with the 4GB card because you will get 1920x1080 as your highest VSR resolution--but if you get a 1920x1080 monitor (dirt cheap these days) then your VSR resolutions are greatly increased...;) Hope this answers your question! Good luck!

News Comments > Steam Direct Fee is $100
1. Re: Steam Direct Fee is $100 Jun 2, 2017, 17:18 WaltC

I think Steam made a mistake--should have gone to $500 minimum. IMO, if you can't afford that to get International exposure for your software, you can't afford to be a developer. Oh, well, they can always raise it again should this not prove enough of an incentive to keep out the crud...I'm sure it will help to some degree. It's too low, however--considering that whatever Steam charged would be fully refunded when the game begins to sell. I would like to see folks living at home on Mom and Dad & going to school priced out however--if you can't pony up $ knowing you can get it all back when you finish the game and it begins to sell, you can't afford to develop the game, imo. Way too much junk on Steam--just trash, really. Will be interesting to watch.

News Comments > New Intel CPU Announcements
14. Re: New Intel CPU Announcements May 30, 2017, 10:49 WaltC

If not for competition from AMD I doubt Intel would ever put out new cpus...;) No slouch this time around, AMD already has Zen 2 scheduled for tape out this year. Intel will be forced to keep up this time around--unlike the last time when AMD just pretty much stopped after the A64--and if Intel doesn't keep up, it won't be AMD turning out the lights...;)  

News Comments > Alan Wake Sunset Sale
18. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 10:37 WaltC

Checkpoint saves--ugh--no sale!  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
15. Re: Morning Mobilization May 8, 2017, 16:38 WaltC

IMHO...

Tablets are only for n00bs who want something other than a cell phone that features a larger screen/interface, but who fear that learning how to operate an actual desktop computer is simply too hard/difficult for them. Mostly, for those people, it's only after they buy a tablet that they discover how incredibly limited they are in terms of general purpose computing, and how much better a DIY Windows box is in terms of value and longevity--as tablets are not user-serviceable, or user-upgradable, etc. Desktop PCs--especially DIY assemblies--blow tablets out of the water in terms of value and longevity and overall usefulness.

But, basically, hard-core tablet people distill into one of two camps:

1) They own a tablet in addition to a desktop PC, not instead of a PC

2) They find that the limited capability of a tablet suits them perfectly and they need nothing else--this is the group that buys tablets instead of desktop PCs. But in a sense they don't count in terms of sales missed for desktop PCs because these people were never desktop PC customers to begin with...;)

Also, much is made of the drop in retail OEM desktop PCs by Dell, etc., at an annual rate. But all of these statistics come from groups (Gartner, inc.) that have always left out a huge chunk of the annual desktop PC marketplace in their estimates--the DIY build-your-own-box people (the group I have belonged to since I bought my last OEM desktop in 1995 for $4700--a Micron with an original 90MHz Pentium and a SCSI hard drive...;))

Ten years ago, DIY tech was neither as cheap nor as accessible nor as plentiful nor as compatible as the PC components market is today, hence while the OEM retail desktop PC market has contracted by 25% since then, even considering the rise of cell phones with tiny GUIs and tablets during the period, it's extremely obvious that the DIY desktop-PC components market has *grown* by *at least* 30% during the same period...! And yet, for some really strange and weird reasons, the official sales' estimate groups like Gartner & IDC, etc., still don't count the DIY desktop market *at all.*...!

I read an estimate by someone not too long ago that put annual motherboard sales by MSI, Asus, and Gigabyte combined running at between 25M-35M units *a year*--for just those three component giants. In short, the components are selling like they've never sold before--and don't forget probably the most important part of the DIY computer components market, the so-called "Mom & Pop" Independent computer dealers globally who build and sell their own local store-brand PCs...! I would estimate there are easily hundreds of thousands, if not a million or two, of "Mom & Pop" independent desktop computer stores globally, that service not only individuals but also local schools and smaller businesses, etc. These desktop PC sales aren't counted, either!

Everywhere we look these days we are being bombarded by fake/incomplete news and numbers. I blame Apple for a lot of this nonsense in the computer market sectors as the company has always projected the Reality Distortion Field as widely as possible--and as such, before the first iPad even sold, Steve Jobs (RIP) was already talking up the "post-PC era"...just to help Apple's marketing of the iPad, etc...;) What a con-man was Jobs--have to give him that if nothing else...;) The truth is that we are entering not only the post tablet era in general, but also the post-iPhone market in particular, as Apple's competitors in the cell-phone market grow ever more successful each year. Apple is superior only for so long as it can hold a monopoly stake in a particular market--like, for instance, the iPad or iPhone, take your pick. The minute that competition enters the arena, however, Apple begins an inevitable decline and the search for the next great fad begins...;) This pattern is in the company's DNA, I'm afraid. OS X, for instance, as a computer OS, has done no better globally than it has because Apple chains it to it's own retail-branded x86 hardware and thus will not compete directly with OSes like Windows or Linux, which can comfortably run on anybody's x86 hardware, including Apple's. When Apple briefly allowed Mac clone makers a very limited permission to manufacture Mac clones (a Mac cloner was required, for instance, to buy 80% of his hardware direct from Apple), Apple could not even compete with the clone makers even under the most restrictive of Apple clone agreements!

But that is how Apple works traditionally : 9 out of ten fads the company starts fail; but the fad that succeeds from Apple is often a huge success temporarily--until after Apple fails at stopping the manufacture and sale of competitive products through its lawsuits division. When competition arrives, Apple finds it cannot compete and so keeps trying to hit the next huge fad market--iWatch, etc. Rinse and repeat, ad infinitum.

To sum up, tablets--not impressed, as you may just possibly be able to discern. It's fitting that the first "tablet" to roll out was the iPad as Apple's entire history as a company consists of rolling the components that other companies make into 'new" flash-in-the-pan products that may or may not make it. OK, subject exhausted--nothing else to say!...;)

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 8, 2017, 15:25 WaltC

What CA should do is simply go ahead and abolish all laws on the books and maybe, after the citizens and illegals kill each other off completely, the state could start again fresh...;) Seems to be their only option as people are abandoning the state like rats from a sinking barge. As some areas of the state already resemble open sewers (can you even imagine a "park" that features open urinals and latrines? If not--go to CA if that's your cup of "tea")), how can you blame them? Tremendous taxes paid to live in a sewer? No thanks...;)  

News Comments > Prey Released
14. Re: Prey Released May 5, 2017, 14:14 WaltC

So many games...so little time...!...;)  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 5, 2017, 14:06 WaltC

Rather hilarious that I've noticed no change whatsoever in my Internet service since 1995 when I first began using it regularly (after AOL and BBS's.) Well, except it is far cheaper today, far faster, and far better in every respect. My "privacy" now is exactly the same as it was then, however--unless you want to talk about how much better ad blockers and firewalls and so on are today than they were then. Ah, if only the "privacy" people could understand how the politicians are using this complete non-issue as means to manipulate them--more of the same old "the sky is falling" nonsense from the national Democrats--most of whom couldn't explain the difference between a mouse and a ram chip if their lives depended on it...;)  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 2, 2017, 08:53 WaltC

Democrats killed the middle class long ago with small business taxes and regulations--under another Democrat administration it will completely die out--and there will be only the very rich--who will run things through their elite corporate proxies (Democrat party politicians) and the very poor who will be forced into dependency on the elite class--thus granting the Democrats what they want--a perpetually poor class forced to vote for them to survive financially through entitlements of one kind or another.

Some courts today are getting exceptionally uppity and exceeding their power--they are no long abiding by the law but seeking to run the country themselves. Here's hoping Trump in the next 4-8 years murders the liberal plan to do away with America's middle class entirely. Otherwise--Venezuela here we come...;)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2017, 17:23 WaltC

If Apple built a tower it would be inferior (as the Hackintoches all prove) and almost immediately dated. The real solution is for Apple open Up OS X and start competing in the real world with Windows and even Linux. Building walled-garden hardware Macs is a dead-end--always a dead end for OS X.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 27, 2017, 10:01 WaltC

Interesting bit for those with AMD GPUs...I don't have Ryzen yet but I do have an RX 480 8GB and this package installed the Crimson 17.4.4 driver package...;) Evidently a bit of unintended update, there.  

News Comments > Vivendi and Ubisoft to Finally Get a Room?
11. Re: Vivendi and Ubisoft to Finally Get a Room? Apr 26, 2017, 18:38 WaltC

I know that UbiSoft is sitting on a lot of software it could be selling today and making money from--like the old Myst titles, for instance. Exile, etc. These games won't run well or at all under Win7/10x64 and they are Win9x titles, but honestly, the amount needed to turn them into working games again would be extremely minimal, imo. UbiSoft just sits on the IP and it rots and brings them in nothing at all. Just don't understand it. They refuse to sell the IP and refuse to use it themselves--reducing its value for the company/shareholders to $0. Dumb decisions obviously made by people who know little or nothing about the games industry. But would Vivendi be any better at all? I wasn't impressed with the old Vivendi at all (Infogrames?) but really cannot remember why, atm.

Ubi, otoh, has done several things I haven't liked lately. Like M&MX--OK, it was a first start by a small developer--but why could the company not have relaunched the M&M series--instead of dropping back to do a "Heroes" remake and then quitting altogether? Dumb, dumb, dumb. I was sincerely hoping that M&MX would be the first game in a long series of M&M games to come--instead of the very last. How stupid. You go to the trouble of resurrecting a classic old title, but then you only do a half-way effort, and then you quit it altogether. Very stupid, imo. Very sad, too. I *hate* brain dead companies that sit on classic IP with loads of potential but then prove themselves so incompetent that they do almost *nothing* with it!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 24, 2017, 11:08 WaltC

It's the age of con-men and fads--the "AI Chip for everything" hearkens back to the 1920s when magnets were heralded as magic cures for what ails ya'--machines--computer chips, are as dead as door nails, and no more sentient or aware than the light switch on your wall. There is as much in common between a human brain and a rock in your driveway as there is between a human brain and a computer-chip transistor...;) Yet the so-called "genius" behind Tesla Motors, ever looking for cons to sucker investments--government backed, preferably--is now telling the world he wants to "merge" the human brain with computer chips...! As likely or as desirable as merging the brain with a rock, imo...;)

It's going to require a lot of time to bring this country back to a state of rationality because it seems the years between 2008 and 2016 have stepped the country back several generations and all but guaranteed that most of the 21st century will be spent simply getting us back to where we were before the "Apocalypse of Stupid" hit the country in 2008...;) (I laugh--but it really isn't very funny.) I genuinely feel sorry for younger folks today whose "educations" are more grounded in idiot emotion than in rationality and fact. They are suckers for every con that comes along!

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap
28. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly & Roadmap Apr 16, 2017, 08:18 WaltC

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of the armchair RSI financial critics and prognosticators of Star Citizen doom & gloom would apply the same hypercritical yardstick to the runaway US federal government in terms of the long-running deficit-spending con it's been running on the American people for the last 50 years (at least)? Hallelujah!...;) You bet it would be a refreshing change!

Just read a piece the other day describing how the US government is now collecting record-breaking tax receipts--the most collected in the history of the country!--and yet (mainly because of insane Democrat-party "policies") even so, the same government manages to keep spending more than it takes in by a hefty margin, each and every year! And we aren't talking the by-comparison trivial ~$75M to $100M *totals* collected to fund Star Citizen so far, either--we are talking hundreds of billions--*trillions*--of dollars in US government spending! After eight years of Odumbo we are pegging the deficit at some $20 trillion dollars...!

Now *that's* a con if ever there was one, because it simply doesn't matter how many times the Democrats raise taxes (many of their taxes are utterly regressive, too!), because Congress would rather die than to give up the power to write bad checks to cover debts they run up in trying to buy the taxpayer's votes with the very same money they collect from those exact same taxpayers...;) It's the El Supremo con; the con of all cons, and I surely do not mean to state that it's only Democrats who are responsible. There are a bunch of disgusting RINOs in Washington who are just as guilty as the crazy Democrats in thinking that a "fiscal exam" is what they get at the doctor's office every year or two, and who think that "monetary policy" is a term used in a Monopoly game.

I'll sum up by pointing out the very obvious and glaring differences between RSI and the US government's "fund raising" *cough-gag-choke*. While RSI's funds are donated 100% on a voluntary basis by individuals who choose to support RSI in the absence of any type of coercion whatsoever, the nation's tax-collection authorities (like the IRS) can and often do actually impound personal property, seize personal assets, and even toss people into prison for refusing to pay the taxes that the unbelievably irresponsible and corrupt government bureaucracies coerce each and every year from US citizens, tax payments literally enforced via the barrel of a gun. While RSI donors may cease supporting Roberts any time they choose and without any repercussions whatever--just try telling the IRS that you've decided to stop funding the government by way of paying your taxes for a few years, or until Congress and the bureaucracies get serious about *managing* the huge sums of money they force out of taxpayers on an ongoing basis! Ha! "Go straight to jail and do not collect $200," etc., will be the only answer you'll get, no question about it. It's fairly amusing to note that RSI, Robert's Space Industries, is an *anagram* for IRS...:D

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 15, 2017, 02:35 WaltC

People should be far more worried about the horrific abuses of power orchestrated by the Obama/Clinton administration's IRS, among many other government agencies that have gone rogue under Obama's general aptitude for lawlessness for most of the past decade. That's far more important to me than whether my ISP/ad network shows me ads for products I might be likely to actually buy! Gawd, how could I object to that? It's more like a free service they provide, imo.

If a given web site demands that I shut down my ad blocker to visit the site (a bunch of tech sites have been doing that for years), and I elect to do so, I'd much rather see ads for products I've expressed a prior interest in (like various computer components) than to have to suffer through, say, tampon and panty & bra ads, for instance...simply because the web site has no clue as to the kinds of ads I'd personally like to see because the site has no generalized anonymous info on me at all--(like whether I'm male or female.) The IRS knows 100x that in the personally identifiable information they compile on American taxpayer-citizens. When it concerns the IRS and maybe several other branches of our government, no American has anything at all but token "privacy" at best. The IRS knows your name and address and where you work, who your spouse is, how many kids you've got, what your salary is, etc. ad infinitum. None of that sort of specific, personal info is known by Internet ad networks.

Although he doesn't ask it of me and never has, unlike sites like [H] and Guru 3D which have asked me in the past--insisted upon, actually(and many others--I don't mean to single out these two sites because there are just two out of dozens if not hundreds of sites that don't allow ad-blockers in order to view the site and participate)--I never block Blue's ads with my ad-blockers because I know he has to make a living and nothing as to how Blue's News presents ads to me (actually, it's the ad network Blue is affiliated with and not Blue himself who does all of that stuff) is offensive to me in the slightest! As I say, I'd much rather see Internet ads for stuff I might actually be interested in as opposed to junk ads about products I'll *never* buy.

What they say about Democrats (not *all of them* of course!) I've found is usually true these days (Democrats nationally used to be much smarter than they are today, imo)--they are huge hypocrites who enjoy expressing phony "outrage" at anything Republican administrations do while they turn blind eyes towards the far more egregious violations of privacy among many other undesirable things the current Democrat party sanctions and supports. The Clinton/Obama administration *loved* to spy on Americans in general--but especially on American citizens who disagree with Democrat-party politics these days. It's amazing, really--the hypocrisy, I mean, about these kinds of issues. The Trump administration has its work cut out for it in reversing the damage the Obama/Clinton administration has presided over in terms of the privacy most Americans imagine they enjoy but which is almost 95% delusional--especially under Obama!...;) They don't much seem to care *what* Obama did...!

News Comments > NVIDIA TITAN Xp & OS X Pascal Support Announced
9. Re: NVIDIA TITAN Xp & OS X Pascal Support Announced Apr 7, 2017, 08:50 WaltC

Golly, gang, it's 10% faster than the 1080Ti (sometimes) and only costs 2x as much! What a deal! [Not.] But as Tim Cook says, "There's a sucker born every second!" We hear ya', Tim! *snicker*  

News Comments > Dragon Age 4 Outed?
7. removed Apr 6, 2017, 21:51 WaltC

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 6, 2017, 21:56.

751 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo