Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 886 (Graduate)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Patches
6. Re: Saturday Patches Oct 14, 2018, 10:32 WaltC

Installed the October build of DF Unity yesterday--this version plus the 3.0 DFU texture pack, along with a couple of DF Unity mods--and the game is actually looking very nice. Playing @ 3840x2160.  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 12, 2018, 16:41 WaltC

We're living in a pretty dumb time, anti-science, anti-freedom, and it's been a rough ride with our mostly idiotic legacy news media over the last three years. So it goes with copyright law application today. Companies sit on IP and make not a dime from it but will not let anyone else use it. It's stupid because such a remake mod is free advertising for Lucas Films, and the original games, and does not detract from the value of Lucas Films IP in the slightest--I'd love for those lawyers to tell me how such a remake, which the authors were doing out of love for the games and *not* for monetary gain, apparently, threatens the value of the Star Wars IP. It would, rather, enhance it. But lawyers can screw up a wet dream... Years ago, people were rationally only concerned with copyright if people were using the IP without permission to *make a profit* for themselves. Any other use was considered fair use. The way it's handled nowadays is dumber than dirt, imo. It does not *help* IP holders most of the time--it only helps the ambulance chasers who work for them--and likely hurts the companies in terms of lost revenue from sales their original IP will now never have.

Anyway, had these folks the money they could likely take Lucas Arts to court and win on the simple basis of fair use--this game, eg, is just another mod--which Lucas Arts has allowed for years to change the original content of their Star Wars computer games' IP. But who has the time, money, or inclination to fight this out in court? If Lucas Arts is too dumb to understand the principles involved, then not even the most well-intentioned modder can help them. Dumb, dumb, dumb, imo.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
22. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 7, 2018, 09:54 WaltC

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 6, 2018, 13:36:
That's it!!1!

I'm backing all my files to OneDrive.
I hope microsofts OneDrive servers don't run on Windows 10.

Glad I saw your post, RedEye!...;)

I've been running the October '18 Windows build (version 1809, build 17763.1) for the last ten days or so (I've installed almost every build of Win10 since Oct 1, 2014--or so Microsoft tells me, anyway--whew, how time flies!) and it is rock-solid and perfectly safe--I've seen no file deletions of any kind. However, I don't run OneDrive anymore and haven't for quite sometime (because I have no use for it--I ran it for months, though, without an issue), and that is important because the issue seems to be related to OneDrive on some systems, from what I've read.

All I can say is that the users having the initial problems with the October update report that without OneDrive the latest Win10 version is as stable as a rock and the upgrade install completes without problems. I haven't actually had any trouble with any Windows10x64 build I've run for the last couple of years, really. Just thought to warn you off of OneDrive for the moment--or at least until Microsoft confirms the problem!

I use the free version of Macrium Reflect for my Windows partition backups--works great--it's easy as pie to use, highly recommended!

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
36. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 1, 2018, 19:12 WaltC

It's one thing I agree with Wozniak about--as I don't and never will buy anything manufactured by Apple...;) Ugh.

The only "self-driving" that takes place today is in 35-45 mph zones, in broad daylight, during tests in which 1 out of every 10,000 cars is driving itself, in sunshine as inclement weather not allowed. You can forget Interstates @ 70 mph and up--especially at night. And even then, the darn things are always running into one thing or another...Including people. Not even the space-shuttle's 5-computer backup computer systems could do it--the shuttle travels in straight lines, no traffic, no dodging asteroids, no traffic lights or pedestrians to consider, etc., no turning, swerving or instant braking required, etc.

I don't know why people are so enamored of these dime-store computers to take their place behind the wheel. I suspect the insurance companies will never insure the things and I wouldn't blame them. Right now, self-driving cars are an investor's wet dream--but we'll have colonized Jupiter's moons before this happens if it *ever* happens. It's just another stupid idea that sounds good until you think about it. Doesn't bother me at all--I'll outdrive any self-driving computer "AI" *cough* any day of the week...;) And so can you. It's child's play.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Sep 23, 2018, 13:14 WaltC

I'm not sure I can get behind judges who start banning Internet content, but otoh, this guy is somewhat of an idiot to defy a court order like that. That isn't the way you do it--you comply with the order and then you fight it. You may even win, who knows? But it's hard to win anything much if you are in jail...;) A dummy.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 20, 2018, 14:02 WaltC

Nullity wrote on Sep 20, 2018, 13:23:
I'm glad the public at large is calling Nvidia on their BS this generation, instead of fawning all over them.

Don't get me wrong, real-time raytracing is the holy grail of computer graphics and it's a literal game-changer. I'm also impressed at the RTX tech and its provided leap in advancement, but it's just not mature enough yet to be used for actual gaming - the performance impact is still much too great. You have to start somewhere though, and I applaud Nvidia for taking this first step.

Sigh...nVidia has not taken the "first step" here at all. Every couple of years for the last fifteen years--at least--somebody has been marketing RTRT of some kind or other--and we are no closer to that now than we were then. Remember Larrabee from Intel? According to the Internet pundits (who knew nothing but wanted to pose as if they did) Larrabee was supposed to be a RTRT GPU--even though Intel repeatedly said at several stages that it was *never* going to be a RTRT GPU--the Internet pundits insisted that they knew more than Intel did about Larrabee...;) Larrabee was cancelled by Intel before it ever hit production. Of course it was. Nothing Intel could make could ever have lived up to the wild and uninformed Internet speculation about the GPU that was common prior to the project's cancellation. Anandtech was a major goof-off about Larrabee, IIRC. Many other well-known sites as well--they just basically copied the nonsense they all wrote, back and forth, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larrabee_(microarchitecture)

We have a long time to go before RTRT arrives--these cards from nVidia are not it, believe me. Indeed, by the time such a card actually becomes doable--way later on the downside of routine 7nm production--rasterization will have advanced to the point of equaling 98% of RTRT effects--which has always been the goal of rasterization, anyway. As usual, the whole RTRT mantra is *advertising/marketing* fluff--try and think why nVidia does not have a real-time demo to ship with these products, eh? (Just a videoclip of pre-rendered stuff.) What a giveaway that is. "Trust us--the capability is there--we just can't show it to you yet because we haven't turned it on in the drivers," or some such. nVidia says that regularly, it seems, shortly after releasing "new" products with "new" features.

However, standard non-raytracing performance increases over last generation seem to be underwhelming at anything less than 4k resolution. A nice 4k performance bump is great, and definitely needed for the future, but most people don't game at that res and can't benefit from it.

I've got several games that run just fine on my RX-480 8G I bought for $262 @ 3840x2160. Granted, we aren't talking 60+ fps, here...;) But We are talking 15-40fps, depending on the game, and If I need more than that I can bump down to 3200x1800 and it looks 95% as good. What I'm trying to say is that the games I run at 4k are *smooth* and playable, etc. And that's all I care about. Worry about raw frame-rates is a sucker's game, imo--I worry about playability, first. And of course I insist on getting top-value for my GPU dollar--I cannot get that from nVidia at present.

And finally, add on top the insane and unwarranted price increase (like 50%!) from last generation, and the 20-series just isn't worth buying, unless you're upgrading from a several-generation-old card. Even then, I'd probably recommend the 1080ti over these, as they are now much cheaper, and the performance per dollar is vastly higher.

Amen, and amen...;) nVidia is seriously investigating suckerdom in the marketplace with these products at these prices. Excuse me, I'll pass!

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Released; Brian Fargo Eyes Buying Interplay
2. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Released; Brian Fargo Eyes Buying Interplay Sep 18, 2018, 20:27 WaltC

Fargo should have held on to Interplay--it was what put him on the map, after all. But, sad to say, really, that Fargo was one of the ones who lost faith in the PC side of the gaming market, and actually went around for years preaching that "the PC is dead" as a gaming platform--playing up consoles, etc. He obviously has learned better! I'm liking the BT IV just fine so far, and it is gratifying that Fargo sees his mistake after all of these years.

I was always puzzled by "the PC is dead" remarks, as my PCs never died--not even once--in terms of game playing, and in all the years I've been in the industry and also as a paying customer of the software houses--Including Interplay, way back when Fargo still had it...;) I never saw a logical reason to reach that conclusion, myself. But Fargo did--Tim Sweeney did--and he's had to admit he was wrong, too, about that. Today, in fact, the two most powerful consoles--the Sony and the Microsoft boxes--are themselves x86 computers inside! The PC won...but as I say, it never made sense to suppose it wouldn't.

Interesting statistics: when I bought my Amiga 500 in '87, it was estimated that the entire installed global market for PCs (Apples, C=, Amiga, and x86 clones) was somewhere on the order of 6-7 million total ! That's it! By 1990, it had grown to ~10 Million installed. Things took off in a big way in '95 because of the Internet boom--and the migration from 8-bits to 16-bits to 32-bit computing was just getting started. Today, a recent estimate I read concerning the total global installed market for PCs is something on the order of 500,000,000...! Huge growth. Also, some 10% (or more, it's another estimate) of those installed are capable of playing any game being sold today--so that's a gaming market of 50M, at least. Count the marginal PCs that can be upgraded to better hardware, and the number jumps to ~100M...;) So I can understand Fargo's initial thoughts on the matter, as well as his wish to return to the PC marketplace today, even if I didn't personally agree with his initial assessment that "the PC was dead"...Very funny when I think back on it...;)

Anyway, it's all good news. I think this is the first time I've ever paid for a game > three years in advance! But I did, and got Wasteland 2 DC, Tides, BTIV, The remastered BT trilogy including BT1, 2 and 3, and the emulated BT1, 2, 3, wrapped in a Windows-friendly exe, all for $75 plus I got a lot of other junk along with it that I can't quite recall at this moment. Honestly, if Fargo had not been involved I don't think I would have put any money on a three-year project. But I did--and Fargo and company delivered, 100% The BT1,2 and 3 Remastered versions far exceeded my expectations (even though BT2 and BT3 remastered are being delivered later in the year.) Happy camper here...;)

News Comments > THQ Nordic Acquires Kingdoms of Amalur
11. Re: THQ Nordic Acquires Kingdoms of Amalur Sep 6, 2018, 18:07 WaltC

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 6, 2018, 15:36:
The game was pretty good, it got rushed out and the support tapered because of the problems. It needed more balancing, there was a user patch for that. If someone were to go through and fix that and clean some more of it up, maybe take a second play through. But a name I wasn't expecting to see, with all of these old game names popping up... damn I want to see something redo Wiz8 or make a game in the spirit of it. Bards Tale IV looks a bit like it.

After looking at what they did with the BTI,2 & 3 remastered--I have much higher hopes for the BT IV release then even I did originally!--I was an original KS backer--one of the best tiers I've ever seen in a kickstarter--I got BT IV (yet to ship--but soon it will be in my greedy, obnoxious little hands), Wasteland 2 DC--shipped, Tides of Numenera-shipped, Bardstale 1,2,3 Emulated (the original games set to run from a Win10 executable-shipped), and Bard's Tale 1,2, and 3 Remastered (brand new games with modern resolution support--I'm playing at 3840x2160, and up-to-date gameplay)--for $75...! Hehe--how you like 'dem apples, eh?...;) I felt rotten for one nanosecond for having pick-pocketed Brain Fargo and pals, but I got over it. What a deal! Ok, so I had to wait three years for all of it to come to fruition--already have W2 DC, Tides, BT 1,2,3 emulated, and BT 1 Remastered, with 2 and 3 coming in fall and winter respectively, 2018! (It doesn't get any better than this, imo! Very happy!) That explains this lengthy, flowery, massively overwritten post!

OK, a word about BT1,2,3 REMASTERED--if you didn't get in on the original KS back in '15, never fear--you can buy all three from GOG without DRM or from Steam (you know how that goes--Steam won't give us an installable copy of our games like GOG does, etc..) for ****$15**** Yep--fifteen--not $51, not $151, and not $12,051, etc. Yep--that is $5 *each*--probably the best game deal on the planet atm, imo.

Main thing to impart--BT1 Remastered, with save-anywhere, automapping, is *everything you expect* in a modern game. Yet it preserves the character of the originals magnificently while transparently enhancing game play with the modern features we have all come to cherish--I mean, seriously, who wants touse 22x22 grid graph paper to hand-map these days, not I...;) I did it back in '87--it was novel, and I was much less lazy and far more energetic--and besides--automapping is the name of the game today, etc.

Basically, I'm amazed at the effort that Krome and InXile are making with these remasters--far away from just being same-old, same-old with new graphics and sounds--it's a treat--I'm playing now!

'nuff said (As I know you're thinking, "Why won't this guy *shut up*>>!)...

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire DLC This Month
3. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire DLC This Month Sep 6, 2018, 17:30 WaltC

Yes, will not buy until all DLCs are finished and the game is complete; Bought the first game PoE1 way too early--by the time they'd whipped it into shape and released the DLC and the rest of the umpteen million patches, I was pretty much bored and had moved on, though I bought all the DLC. Looked at a brief section of the PoEII in a Matt Chatt play-through (just the beginning and a little bit more at the end) and thought the game was trying to copy every other big-name RPG that had been released since PoE1--plus its introduction was--in a word--absolutely horrible..;) I mean that sincerely, unfortunately. It was disjointed, flowery, and way over the top with narrator dialogue like:

"He said he was serious, and he was. But even more, he was so serious that everyone took note, and then decided that serious was his forte' and so 'Serious' he became. Until he wasn't serious anymore because..."

Then, like as not the character would say, "I'm serious, you can bet on it that I'm serious!"

---The above is *not* a quote from the game--it is an attempt to imitate the perfectly awful introduction style/presentation of the game--indeed, what Matt played though I think is *the* worst game introduction I have ever ever seen--bar none...;) And that is after playing a *lot* of games...! It was 3x too long--repeated itself over and over, and was in love with hearing the written prose read back, etc. It was so bad, in fact, that not even Matt could butter it over--and he didn't even try...;) I think he thought it quite as bad as I did...;) He was, like I was, shocked to the bone at the appalling lack of professionalism, talent, and writing in the game as it was released.

To someone who knows: has it improved since the initial release? I'd really like to know. But I cannot buy based on what I've seen--"bad" is complimenting it...;)

News Comments > THQ Nordic Acquires Kingdoms of Amalur
10. Re: THQ Nordic Acquires Kingdoms of Amalur Sep 6, 2018, 17:06 WaltC

Bought it in '12--was very disappointed in the result. Too short, cumbersome, cookie cutter, IIRC.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Scraps CitizenCon Keynote Stream Fee
6. Re: Star Citizen Scraps CitizenCon Keynote Stream Fee Aug 31, 2018, 20:57 WaltC

Good grief--instead focusing on crap like this--how about getting a playable/salable game out--like, yesterday?  

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition Launches
12. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition Launches Aug 31, 2018, 13:47 WaltC

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 31, 2018, 13:18:
Nice, I'll start my second playthrough with this version relativley soon, burning through some other games right now though.

MeanJim -> thanks for that, I'll make sure to save the SSD space by getting rid of the classic version when I do play it again.

Yes, and you can also link a shortcut directly to the DE executable in the DE directory, bypassing the launcher, as well, if you want.

I will probably just move my original version to another drive so that if the mood hits me to continue the original game someday I can easily do it.

7. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition Launches Aug 31, 2018, 12:11 WaltC

mch wrote on Aug 31, 2018, 11:30:
Hmm, strange. My Steam update this morning came in at around ~8GB.

It is interesting...as I was checking the Steam forum yesterday while downloading my 18GBs from GOG Galaxy, and there were threads from people who were getting it at the same time. Have no idea about the discrepancy of the file sizes--GOG Galaxy is updated developer-direct, just like Steamworks. I don't remember reading anywhere about the huge size of the resulting DE install--checked again and mine is ~55GBs...! Huge.

4. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition Launches Aug 31, 2018, 11:28 WaltC

It came through yesterday (8/30) afternoon on GOG, and Steam, too, I believe. It's an 18GB download on GOG, and as it does not replace the original game, the total size of the installed game is now ~55GBs! So be prepared...;)

Looks very nice--they've changed a lot of things in the game, so naturally old saves don't work. You can still play the original game in which your old saves *do* continue to work as expected, if you like.
Game launcher gives you the choice of which you want to play, etc.

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 48-Minute Gameplay Video
13. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 48-Minute Gameplay Video Aug 27, 2018, 18:59 WaltC

Shaping up fantastically...;) Man, this so much better than the last clip I saw of CP2077--they aren't even comparable. I even liked the narrator's voice--not irritating or hokey--the whole thing came off great--beautiful @ 3840x2160...! After the last clip I was afraid we'd be seeing GTA 2077 on Steroids--oh, ho--this is going to blow away everything that came before...!

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Weekend
23. Re: Star Citizen Free Weekend Aug 25, 2018, 11:35 WaltC

At 3840x2160 the game is absolutely gorgeous...but I am still trying to understand why after so many years the game is still in *Alpha*--I'm not sure why anyone would offer a "free play weekend" for Alpha software...;) It *is* very much an Alpha, still, in every way. How many years will it take to hit beta, I wonder?

Doesn't seem like much is there for a $75M-$100M expenditure--*so far.* They are still taking in money by the truckload, apparently.

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Weekend
17. Re: Star Citizen Free Weekend Aug 24, 2018, 21:33 WaltC

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 24, 2018, 18:19:
I gotta ask.. how big is the download?

My download info says 11.7GB...we shall see!

Aster that finished--it began downloading ~31GB...!

--OK, finished, ready to launch game. (I hope...;))

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2018, 22:51.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 20, 2018, 14:07 WaltC

Apple, Facebook--ever ready to accommodate totalitarian dictatorships--no problem. "'President for life' is cool," says Apple. Imagine what Apple would say if Trump said that...;) Bwa-ha-hah...;) What a bunch of colossal hypocrites.  

News Comments > The Bardís Tale IV: Barrows Deep Wishlist Initiative
4. Re: The Bardís Tale IV: Barrows Deep Wishlist Initiative Aug 17, 2018, 08:52 WaltC

Seems like a novel way to promote the game...;) Not a bad idea, and I'm in, too, although it is a bit strange for people to wishlist a game they already know for certain is coming...!  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 15, 2018, 16:39 WaltC

Darks wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 10:11:
Microsoft will never learn to stop integrating the stupid browser into the OS.

I dont why they constantly fail to stop and listen to the customers.

Its beyond stupidity.

And it seems that some users as well will never learn that just because a program is included doesn't mean they have to use it...;) I loathe Edge--been a Windows Insider since 10/1/2014, when it started. Haven't used Edge more than 30 minutes the whole time--I prefer Firefox DE x64--it runs perfectly in Windows--no problems. It's just like "Paint" or the "Photo viewer"--you never have to use it if you don't want it, and there are absolutely no roadblocks in the OS to stop you from running whatever you want to run instead. Not a single one.

So...complaining that a program is included in the OS is a giant red-herring--it might be fine for governments needing back-door taxes like the struggling EU hitting Microsoft, Google, and Apple for something like a combined $25B in back-door taxes--for imaginary consumer sleights (note that none of these fines go to the alleged victims--they all go to the EUC--and the EUC lawyers make out like real bandits every time--get paid gigantic commissions.) Your info is way out of date and was never actually ever accurate in the first place, to tell the truth.

886 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo