Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 1049 (Pro)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 14, 2019, 11:05 WaltC

Hopefully, Samsung will get their foldable phone working first..;)  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month
14. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 13, 2019, 11:43 WaltC

GinRummy wrote on Jul 12, 2019, 22:53:
I played the initial release, which had some bugs and fewer features than this update, but had a TON of FUN playing it. Combat is kinda weird with the grid layout, but once you get used to it, it's very strategic and handy.

Agreed--this game is highly original and makes great use of music--the old Irish chants and songs really set the mood. I was 76 hours in when I got word of the DC, so I reluctantly put it down until then. Of course, that was before they dropped the ball on the updates. The original was merely supposed to be BT4 2.0; to be shipped end of '18. Then it was "early 2019"; then in early '19 we got the news it had changed to the DC and would ship in June--last month--whereupon we got the news that it would ship "end of summer 2019"...which was less than awe-inspiring, as you might guess. And then we finally got a drop-dead date, of August 28! Whew...;) But according to the update video inXile has published (see link) the game will have, thousands of bug fixes, new characters (?), at least four hours of additional gameplay, a Bard Song to allow the brain-malformed among us to skip the puzzles, improved graphics and a brand new engine--so I will definitely replay on Aug 28th (fingers crossed)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-npsZhJU1ps&feature=youtu.be

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Age of Wonders III Free on Steam
3. Re: Age of Wonders III Free on Steam Jul 11, 2019, 21:04 WaltC

Small correction: The game is being given away from today 7/11 through 7/15, which is the temporary part of the deal...;) If you snag a free copy, it's yours to keep forever. The text above looks like "free to keep for a limited time" as if it might have an expiration date. I think you meant to say, "for a limited time, free to keep forever"...or something like that...;)

https://steamcommunity.com/games/226840/announcements/detail/1606013667721315334

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2019, 15:28 WaltC

Re: 5700's not Crossfiring. OK, the guy who wrote that is all wrong on several levels! The latest 19.7.1 Adrenalins--which specifically support the 5700--support Crossfire all the way back, including dozens of old-game profiles--now in the drivers (where they have been for years--but if you don't have a Crossfire system you cannot see them as they do not appear)--and they are not going anywhere--Crossfire and SLI are pre-d3d12 tech, both of which lay outside of the API--any 3d-game API--and were dependent on 3dfx and then later AMD and nVidia, 100%. D3d12 puts all of that in the past. In the future, AMD and nVidia both will be doing SLI/Crossfire in the D3d12 motif. Shadow of the Tomb Raider, is one recent blockbuster game that does D3d12 multi-GPU perfectly, for instance. Crossfire and SLI are not disappearing--they've simply moved into the API--which I think is a lot better, myself, all of which people who write articles in gaming mags should be aware of, imo. But it is important to note that the driver support for the old multi-GPU games, formerly called Crossfire and SLI, is still very much a part of the AMD drivers--and probably nVidia's drivers, too, although I can't comment on those.

Crossfire/SLI has always been a very niche market. In its "heyday" it was never beyond 4%, and the kicker then was the total user base for 3d-gaming was 7x-10x smaller than it is today! So that 1% today could well equal 7%-10% of that "4%" market, etc. Percentages presented alone rarely tell a complete story, of course. All I can say is that I bought an RX-480 couple of years ago, then bought an RX-590 Christmas, 2018, and it has made a splendid Crossfire rig! Crossfire has come a long way--today you don't have to match frequencies between the cards (Rx-480 runs at 1305Mhz; 590 @ 1600Mhz.) You don't have to reboot to turn X-fire on and off anymore, etc. AMD has made it about as transparent as it can be. To top that off, D3d12 now includes multi-GPU (X-fire or SLI) as already mentioned. I think the writer here jumped the gun. Multi-GPU is about like RAID 0--some do, most don't, but that's always been the case for RAID 0--and Crossfire/SLI...;)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 11:46 WaltC

Simon Says wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 11:30:
Verno wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 11:14:
Hopefully they can finally put GCN to bed once and for all after this.

It's not GCN hardware architecture... It's RDNA.

It's still the GCN Instruction Set Architecture ( ISA ) tho.

Saying 5700XT is GCN so like Polaris is a bit like saying Zen is x86 ISA so like FX CPUs.

Get it?

Edit: And forget about AMD dropping the GCN ISA anytime soon, as long as Sony and MS will want easy backward compatibility going forward, AMD will be forced to continue to use the GCN ISA. They're stuck with it, thank the conslows. Sony/MS > PC gamers.

This "leaked" benchmark was no doubt "leaked" by nVidia...;) The real reviews will be here soon enough.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2019, 16:11 WaltC

Mad Magazine--how I loved that mag growing up! I will never forget some things like, "The Lighter Side of [you name it!]" or "Spy vs. Spy," and of course, "What, me worry?"...;) All those satirical pieces like "Star Blech"...or satires on Believe it or Nuts, "Herman J. Rumpdinkle read so much about the bad effects of smoking that he gave up reading" or "Pete Smogdirk had just quit smoking and was skipping with joy down a sidewalk when a truck with a huge "Smoke Fatals!" ad on the side hopped the curb and killed him." My own opinion is that satire in general is simply too advanced a form of humor for many young people--or their parents--to appreciate these days. (Although The Onion is very funny at times!) Hence the demise of Mad--that, and the principals staffing the magazine appear to be ready to retire, of course! Publishing a magazine has to be difficult in the climate of the Internet.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 4, 2019, 11:53 WaltC

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 4, 2019, 10:18:
I think Im about ready to pull the trigger on a new PC build. (Everything apart from peripherals, and a GFX card which I recently purchased)

I want to make it fairly future proof, so Ill probably go with a decently hefty rig to replace my trusty i5-3570k based PC.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Rules of thumb I use: Buy only AAA tier 1 hardware components from recognized manufacturers with sterling track records and consistent hardware driver support going back several years. Always buy at retail, pay as much as you can afford at the time, and stay away from 30-day warranty OEM parts of any description...;) (OEM components are a crap shoot.) You can discern a lot about how confident a manufacturer is about his products by the length of his warranties--the longer the warranties the better component, imo. You'll pay a bit more up front than you would for the cheaper, no-name hardware, but it's worth it and will more than repay you in the years ahead, I've found.

Also, as Verno said, there is no such thing as "future proof." Banish that thought. You want to instead plan to at minimum replace your motherboard, GPU and CPU every three-five years, or whatever span of time suits you. The beauty of the PC paradigm is that you never have to upgrade all at once, but you can upgrade piecemeal, most of the time. Upgrade the GPU one year--upgrade the CPU the next (socket permitting)--upgrade the motherboard the next--etc. Expandable PCs are themselves "future proof" in a sense, but only because they allow you to upgrade one component at a time in a continuous fashion whenever you desire to do so.

--Unless you like changing cpu sockets like you change your socks, your next CPU should be an AMD Zen 3k.
__x570 motherboard of your choice (supports PCIe4.x where as Intel's Z390 does not.) Aorus Master looks to be a nice board; as well, MSI and Asus offer some interesting x570 choices. Suggest looking at some Buildzoid PCB analysis--he's got several nice Youtubes on x570 boards by all three manufacturers. Of course, the reviews of all things Zen 3k will begin appearing in just three more days! (7/7)
__If you haven't already bought an NVMe boot drive--suggest you at least look at the recent PCIe4.x drives being released.
_Check out some nice 32" 4K monitors--I love mine--I was surprised by how much more detail I could see in my games compared to my previous 27" 2560x1440 monitor. It's quite noticeable. About $400 (what I paid through Amazon last year.)

https://us.aoc.com/en/products/u3277pwqu

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 4, 2019, 11:09 WaltC

GPUs, like general CPUs, offer so much more performance per watt than they did 30 years ago that the two periods aren't really even comparable because GPUs are enormously better than they were! Back in the 2d glory days, a Matrox Millennium--*the* card to have in those days--would set you back $475-$600. When 3dfx debuted the Voodoo2, SLI (the original 2x SLI) it would set you back 2x $300--and, you still had to have a ~$300 2d card installed! Later, when 2d/3d cards debuted, even a 16MB (yes MBs, not GBs) Voodoo3 or TnT2 cost $300-$400 dollars.

As well, this article makes no mention of inflation; makes no mention of the fact that both AMD and nVidia share a few FABs together--etc. Guy who wrote this article doesn't have a clue, imo. The only really bizarrely overpriced cards selling today are the "top" nVidia cards--2080ti's selling for $1300-$1400--$3k Titans, etc. Online vendors couldn't get away with those prices if everyone was was savvy enough not to pay those prices...! It really is as simple as that.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2019, 17:30 WaltC

Halsy wrote on Jul 3, 2019, 15:44:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 3, 2019, 13:43:
Hottest June on record for both the world and Europe.

Global Warming is a hoax.

And if it's not a hoax, nobody likes winter anyway.

Win-win.

And swimming. Don't forget everyone will be doing a lot more swimming - whether they want to or not. So everyone gets in shape for free!!!

Yes...;) All of human history, every recorded second, takes place in a pocket of naturally occurring global warming brought about by changes in the sun's output. We have ice cores from the poles dating back millions of years that clearly show the retreat of ice age glaciers into periods of global warming that last for dozens of millennia, before the next ice age comes again and the global warming cycle repeats. And all of those pre-internal-combustion-engine warming/cooling cycles occurred before the first man left his footprints in the sand, hundreds of millennia before the first internal combustion engine was ignited for the first time.

But it's so easy to see the fraudulent nature of the UN's attack on the US over global warming--it's all designed to take money away from the US and give it to countries that do almost nothing about their own environmental pollution. China, for instance, is by far the world's biggest polluter--far and away exceeding pollution in the US--yet China said, "No! We won't join the Kyoto treaties!" and the UN said "OK, you don't have to!" Anyone remember the Chinese Olympics in which the athletes had to wear facial pollution masks just to walk around? The whole fraud amounts to nothing more than attempts to scam large sums out of the United States, by other countries and by businesses seeking huge government-backed loans for so-called "green" businesses--like the $500M in taxpayer funds that disappeared down the Solyndra rat hole, for instance! Yeah, those businesses are "green" alright--the green of ill-gotten money.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 2, 2019, 10:51 WaltC

On the Ryuk infestations in Florida & Georgia: folks who favor municipal Internet and think it's wondrous--city-run & managed Internet services--should be aware that it's the same people who recently paid $600k malware ransoms in Florida this year who would be tasked with overseeing and managing your municipal Internet network. Even aside from that--what most municipalities do is to hike local taxes to pay for their networks and then spend even more money hiring private companies to run it for them--because most city governments know as much about rolling out an Internet network as they know about building a nuclear reactor or designing the next space shuttle...;) Controlling things like this simply gives an incompetent local government another lever in their never-ending quest to raise local taxes and deficit spend! The IT guy who got fired had likely sent multiple warnings to every employee with Internet access about opening email attachments from unknown sources--but it was he who got fired instead of the city employee who opened the malware attachment! OTOH, the IT person could have been in on it, but I sort of doubt it as the IT person would be the first suspect!...;)  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 1, 2019, 21:19 WaltC

Yes, it's really sad--the cell-phone guys can see the suckers coming a mile away--and they salivate at all of the profit they'll be making from those monthly fees and ridiculous 5GB data caps, and so on. etc! I may be an anachronism but as a product and a service I don't care for "mobile" at all, in any form. Give me a nice desktop PC with a wired Internet connection of ~110 Megabits/s up & down, no caps, and I'm happier than a pig in mud!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2019, 13:59 WaltC

I remember my last major move--wall to wall boxes, almost ceiling high, in every room except the bedroom! Now that it's a distant memory, I can recall the experience kindly...sort of...;)  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 30, 2019, 13:53 WaltC

we can only speculate what that Ryzen would with 3200MHz ram--running at only 2133Mhz, these scores are amazing.  

News Comments > New AMD Drivers
1. Re: New AMD Drivers Jun 17, 2019, 23:22 WaltC

Just checked and AMD has also released new core-logic chipset drivers for Win10 & x370/x470, etc.! Just happened to check--there they were--release date today (6/17).

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470

News Comments > Romero Games Announces Empire of Sin
4. Re: Romero Games Announces Empire of Sin Jun 11, 2019, 22:29 WaltC

Guys, this thing unearthed a buried memory:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_of_Chicago

I think I'll have to pass on Romero...don't want to be his _itch...or hear his "pitch"...(liked that, RedEye9!) Daikatana's other advertising pitch was memorable as well--"Suck it down!" Ugh!...;) I wonder if it will rain frogs in Chicago, too?

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 10, 2019, 23:30 WaltC

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 22:25:
In years past, Intel wouldn’t even acknowledge AMD existed but now...

Heh-heh...;) nice catch--Kind of funny--it's Ryzen 7 3800X Intel needs to worry about...;) The ad compares with AMD's last generation R7 2700X...;) Intel's been doing a lot of that lately! Competition is marvelous to see for a change!

News Comments > Quake II RTX Released
20. Re: Quake II RTX Released Jun 6, 2019, 19:45 WaltC

Verno wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 13:19:
Meh, its new tech. I remember the early days of 3d accelerator addin cards. Raytracing is going to be A Thing, both next gen consoles are going to be doing DXR with AMD APUs. The performance will get there over time.

D3d DXR does not equal ray tracing, much less in real time--it doesn't matter whose GPU it is. If you want to see how real ray tracing works, fire up the Cinebench 20 Benchmark for ray tracing a small, low res single frame in "real time" on the fastest AMD or Intel CPUs today. If you really want to see how ray tracing works, load up Lightwave or any other ray-tracer and render a few ray-traced frames. (It will take minutes to hours to days to render a single frame depending how complex the frame is.) nVidia even states in the fine print that RTX is called "hybrid rendering" (internally by nVidia)--because, as nVidia states in the fine print, their GPUs do not have the horsepower--far, far from it--to actually ray trace a frame in "real time"--at 30 fps and up, etc. It's just another form of rasterization. Still, nVidia marketing doesn't give that impression but rather puts the facts into fine print...;) Lots of marketing is the same--it's a caveat emptor world we live in.

Not even the original demo nVidia circulated with its RTX products was rendered on an RTX product--but was a 2d compilation of frames compiled into a 2d videoclip, rendered on much more expensive nVidia hardware than RTX and certainly not in "real time". None of the shiny Star Wars chrome reflection nVidia circulated in the "demo" was even rendered on an RTX product! nVidia, to its credit, never tried to hide it--they came right out and told you what hardware they used to render each frame, and they even identified the companies nVidia paid to compile the frames in the 2d animation that you saw. It baffles me why this is difficult for anyone to understand...? What nVidia is doing is pre-programmed rasterization, programmed to mimic what you might see in a real ray-traced frame or scene--at least in terms of global illumination--which is the only part of a frame that RTX tries to counterfeit. It's not "real-time ray tracing" simply because nVidia says it is. Often consumers are asked to choose between marketing hyperbole and facts, and I can see how some folks might mistake the marketing talk for facts, at least initially. It's bound to be confusing for people who have no experience with ray tracing programs, but that is only as nVidia marketing intends.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2019, 20:41 WaltC

If not for capitalism, there would be no game studios...;)  

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2019, 13:46 WaltC

jdreyer wrote on May 31, 2019, 12:13:
Hawaii warns tourists of parasitic worm that can burrow into human brains.

I thought brain worms only existed on Ceti Alpha 6.

Despite our vaunted modern technology, there's no way to detect or treat this.

See "Mad cow disease"--scary stuff--worse even than the various new viciously aggressive "flesh-eaters" that are also immune to traditional antibiotic treatments in some cases! There are no replacements for common sense and standard hygienic practices--like for instance, avoid stagnant water in the wild and don't drink it or use it for cleansing regardless of how inviting a pool of it might appear. Basically, all of modern medicine revolves around training the body to heal itself--yep, our "vaunted" tech is no substitute for good health practices and habits, imo. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure," is no less true today than it ever was.

News Comments > RTX-Only Stay in the Light Next Week
7. Re: RTX-Only Stay in the Light Next Week May 30, 2019, 17:36 WaltC

Verno wrote on May 30, 2019, 13:56:
They're still really good cards and AMD simply isn't competitive right now. The tensor cores are expensive now but hopefully in the long run this whole thing drags the industry forward. RTX is pretty fucking awesome when it isn't tacked on as a novelty mode or something, this is no PhysX situation.

With Raytracing on both next gen consoles the future generation card prices will come down I expect. But yeah you definitely pay a premium now for early adoption, though as I said you still get a pretty kickass card in general.

I will say that the 1080ti I have is almost up there with the 8800GTX in terms of dollar/value.

In the markets where by far the greatest number of discrete 3d cards are sold globally--at the ~$300 and under price points--AMD absolutely dominates--it's not even close, really. What key technologies does nVidia not offer at those prices that AMD has offered for years at those prices? Try multi-GPU/X-fire capability--try 8GBs of system ram through AMD's 256-bit local buses--amazing, really, to realize that nVidia offers *none of that* for $300 or less! When I fist discovered this I actually didn't believe it-- but it's true--AMD *dominates* the volume discrete markets globally...;) (And I'm not including consoles!...)

People seem to believe that he who sells the most expensive 3d cards and serves up the most junk and gimmicks is the best-selling 3d GPU king. Really it's not even close...! It's a lot like stock-car racing in the US--people sometimes think the company who puts more NASCAR winners over the line (I'm not much on stock-car racing, myself) than anyone else just has to be the sales king--no, doesn't work that way at all, thank goodness! Games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider @ 4k with my RX-590/RX-480 8GB X-fire rig are a joy...! I bought the 480 8GB ~2 years ago and bought the RX-590 8GB six months ago--and the X-fire/Multi-GPU support @ 4k is eye-opening! I'm going to buy another GPU this summer, after my new x570 board and another new Ryzen 7nm--yea, baby..;)--probably another AMD GPU, too, if they look good--but, who knows? Vee shall see.

And Verno--I have to be honest here and say that the GTX8800 was without a doubt one of the *worst* 3d cards I have ever purchased! Yes, in an off moment many years ago, I picked one up--I still keep it to remind me of how bad discrete 3d cards can be! Oh, listen, AMD has put out its own collection of stinkers, and I've owned a few of those as well, so this isn't about brands or any of that. While AMD might not be ahead in the ~$700 *gaming* markets, certainly, the fact is that nVidia doesn't make anything competitive with the RX-4/5xx series in the volume < $300 product markets--and that was really my point. It depends on which markets you look at as to which GPU OEM is in the driver's seat.

In three months time our gaming hardware markets are going to burst at the seams--unprecedented hardware growth is coming--and most of that is courtesy AMD, imo...;) Our favorite industry is poised to explode--and much of that credit lands at the feet of AMD. That's just the way it is, imo...!

1049 Comments. 53 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo