Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 726 (Apprentice)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 20, 2017, 12:57 WaltC

Comey testified that they were investigating *to see* if there was any "Russian interference" in the election. If you believe Hillary Clinton's "Russian" scapegoat theory as to why she lost the election, you've got some serious logic problems to overcome. Like, it wasn't just the Presidency the Republicans won, it was both houses of Congress, too. Most amusing of all, I'm waiting to hear the silly Democrats describe *what form* the "Russian interference" was supposed to have taken...;) We know for a fact that no Russians voted in the election--so of course that's out. It seems the Democrats want to blame the Russians (along with the Trump campaign) for the WikiLeaks documents that simply let America see the falsity and hypocrisy behind the Democrat party. If it's true the "Russians" were behind the country getting a good look at the true character of the Democrat party before the election--then, imo, we should give them medal for helping Wikileaks expose them. My personal theory is that someone inside the Democrat party who knows what is really happening (how the Clintons have destroyed the party) and doesn't like it one bit is behind the Wikileaks document dumps.  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs?
7. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 16, 2017, 11:30 WaltC

Cutter wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 10:31:
Ok, seriously now, why hasn't anyone brought antitrust charges against MS at this point.

For what? The version those old cpus shipped with still run fine on the old cpus--it's just that they will no longer be updated.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs?
5. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 16, 2017, 11:29 WaltC

I think the actual translation here is that really, really old cpus (probably ten years old or older) won't be updated by Microsoft any further in Win10 and from now on. The older cpus lack the necessary hardware for security enforcement (NX bit, etc.) People are always misunderstanding technology in some way, it seems. It won't be too long before even 32-bit CPUs are no longer supported. Progress marches on, etc.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
54. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 13, 2017, 20:33 WaltC

Windows 10x64 build 15055, notifications turned off--lots of other things turned off via built in settings. Ads: 0 that's z-e-r-o. This is the same old silly default-settings argument that people use to create straw men to argue over, as if the default settings could not be changed at will by the user. This argument to knock products is especially a stupid one--and insulting to users.

BTW, have you noticed how many web sites you can visit today that tell you to turn off the ad blocker or leave the site? The few adds in Windows that people voluntarily allow in (because you can turn them all off) are nothing compared to that.

People love to invent straw men to argue over, for some strange reason.

And Cutter...you might like to know that in the 1960's and 70's world population was projected to be 10 billion by the year 2000, and the Rain Forests were supposed to be all gone. None of it came even close to being true. The Earth is a much hardier place than men give it credit for, but mainly all of the fear-mongering about the future is meant to manipulate you politically--as if voting for slimy Democrats will "save the world"...;) Such a funny sentiment seeing as how there are more "1%" Democrats than Republicans, and how they are ever so much more corrupt and crooked. If a Democrat tells you it's true it probably isn't and he's merely trying to scare you to get your vote. They have found out that on some weak-minded voters that sort of "the sky is falling" hysteria translates into votes. Such a pity.

News Comments > John Carmack Sues ZeniMax
44. Re: John Carmack Sues ZeniMax Mar 10, 2017, 17:16 WaltC

Poor Carmack...I am sure he rues the day he unloaded id on Zenimax...but when you deal with the devil...Too bad he couldn't have found a better buyer for ID--might have had to sell the company for less but it beats the attitude Zenimax has always held towards Carmack--as if he was their personal property. But I imagine that without getting a piece of Carmack the purchase of id software would have been far less attractive--maybe the only way Carmack could sell it at all, who knows? The $500M judgment seems absurd on the face of it--Oculus hasn't sold nearly that much inventory and is a long way from being profitable, so where do the damages come in? The basis for the Zenimax claim is anything but clear...;)  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 8, 2017, 10:55 WaltC

98% of the computers used by the 91% of companies now using Macs *for something* are not Macs, however...;) A small detail *cough* often left out of typical Apple euphoria...;) Too funny.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2017, 10:30 WaltC

Bill Paxton had an aortic aneurysm--wow, no wonder. My heart goes out to his family. Generally, they are not survivable and the usual approach is not to operate at all-- the condition is considered largely inoperable. My father had one and was told at Duke that it was inoperable, so no "election" for surgery was even possible for him. Instead, he treated the condition with the known drugs at the time and diet--and lived to be 63 when heart failure finally claimed him. So sad to see Paxton survive the surgery itself but succumb to a post-operative complication! Paxton was a very likable and amusing fellow! He will be missed by many I am sure.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2017, 17:19 WaltC

Dacote wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 15:56:
Barack Obama's master plan:
1) Wiretap the opposition
2) Gather damaging info
3) Say nothing
4) Let him win
5) Ride off into the sunset

Central problem is that it proves who "hacked the election" in truth, and it wasn't the Russians (who with an IQ > 10 might believe that story?) No Russians voted anywhere in America on Nov 8, 2016...Lol...;)It was *the Democrats* all along who hacked the election...! That's why they are so hot to pin phony accusations on Sessions & Trump--it's a favored tactic of crooks--accuse the innocent of your own crimes to try and move the attention off of yourself. It's backfired enormously in this case, because Trump is not about to become a fool for the Democrats. But...Democrats never learn, you can count on that. Stupid is is stupid does, I suppose.

With every Republican starting with GW Bush, the Democrats found that at the first false accusation the Republican candidates freak out in nerve-biting fear because they are cowards without the strength of their own convictions. So they found it easy to manipulate the previous Republican dummies by tossing empty threats and false accusations. This won't work on Trump--they are discovering to their own misfortune. But the best is yet to come!

Poor GW Bush...he seems to have only one goal remaining in his life, and that is to grovel before the people who didn't vote for him and who lied about him egregiously because he wants them to like him now. Aw, Georgy-worgy wants to be loved by the voters who hated and maligned him. GW doesn't seem to care at all about whether the people who voted for him like him at all--and of course, so they don't! His ludicrous war against Trump has its origins in the fact that GW blames Trump for beating his brother Jeb!--ha-ha!--so badly for the nomination. Jealousy is an ugly thing to see. Bush identifies with the entitlement notions of Clinton/Obama/Pelosi and the many racist Democrats now in Congress. How dare an upstart like Trump, who cannot be bought, who owes no special favors, and who actually dares to keep his campaign promises *gasp*--how dare he run for the Presidency and win!? Ah, the cheek--the arrogance of such a thing! So goes the sad Establishment song of the RINOs and Democrats alike.

No more Clintons/Obamas/Bushes...down with dynasties. I'm all for that.

Quite a show in Washington...pass the popcorn...!...;)

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2017, 16:51 WaltC

On the digital data/DNA article, wonder why they used the lowly, common-place iPhone as an example? 256 GB? Come on, a mere 1-TB hard drive or SSD is 4x the iPhone's data storage, and costs nowhere near $800...;) Another sensational tech article on the subject of pie-in-the-sky tech at least several decades away, if ever. I think that electronic digital storage will forever be more economical, faster, and far less prone to error than living DNA/biolgical approaches. Can you imagine having to "feed" your hard drive food nutrients every day to keep it alive to keep its data intact?...;) Or, the tissue "burps" and half the data is expunged!  

News Comments > Minecraft Sells 122M
8. Re: Minecraft Sells 122M Feb 28, 2017, 13:29 WaltC

It's really interesting when you consider that for that $2B Microsoft could have funded 50 AAA games at an average development cost of $40M each...;)  

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Released
19. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Feb 28, 2017, 13:25 WaltC

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 10:41:
sauron wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 10:16:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 10:09:
Bleh, I bought this via the Bard's Tale Kickstarter, but so far there is nothing on how to reclaim my key from InXile/Kickstarter.

You just have to go to the InXile Backer Rewards page and redeem your key for Steam or GOG. The link is here.

Whoops, thanks... yeah I saw that finally after reading inXile's page a bit, needed to create yet another account on there, for the various game codes. Code redeemed via Gog.

I'd much rather prefer they just put the codes in Kickstarter, I seriously don't need an account at every website on the planet.

But I'm sure there are other technical reasons as well as gently urging people to use their website, oh well.

*EDIT* Thanks also to WaltC!

Yes, it was a good deal--I got the "Tormented, Irradiated Bard" package in the BTIV Kick...You get Tides, Wasteland 2, and BTIV for $75...;) Nice package...!

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Released
7. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Feb 28, 2017, 10:13 WaltC

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 10:09:
Bleh, I bought this via the Bard's Tale Kickstarter, but so far there is nothing on how to reclaim my key from InXile/Kickstarter.

Already got mine...it's under account/rewards/key on inXile's site.

https://bardstale.inxile-entertainment.com/

News Comments > Origin Access Free Trial
13. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 15, 2017, 15:23 WaltC

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 14:17:
I don't buy any games from Origin, I buy all my games from GMG or cdkeys etc. and activate them on Origin or Steam.
In terms of the subscription, they are giving out free games like Garden warfare 2 and Battlefield games and for that I think it is well worth it.
I try to avoid buying any sort of EA game because I know it will be available for free on EA Access.
To me personally it's worth the $30 a year. Not to mention the 10hrs game trial for new EA games and exclusive beta access etc.
To each their own, if you don't think it's worth it than don't get it.
The amount of hours the kids put into Battlefield, Battlefront, sports games, and Garden Warfare EA Access already paid for itself multiple times over.

Your points are all excellent--I can't see anything wrong with the offer, either. Yes, getting small business transactions confused with "EA" seems kind of silly to me, since most of the time these problems can be traced to a financial entity of some kind and have nothing to do with the EA Games/Software division...;)

$30 a year is nothing, basically, and could easily pay for itself 10x over each and every year, at least theoretically. So as you can cancel at any time, what's the problem? It's half what companies (not just EA either!) charge for some fairly poor *new* games they push.

I think that some people simply have an ax to grind/love to bitch, moan, complain, etc. I have an *installed* games collection at home of ~300 games(!)--last time I counted, sort of (with 4.25 TB's of capacity not even 50% filled by them), it's still a lot to keep up with, but an absolute joy...;) And this includes the original GOG setup files for > 200 of them! GOG is by far the #1 service I use for games, Steam is a distant second, but then comes Origin way, way back in the line--mainly for their C&C classics and a few others that EA doesn't distribute much anywhere else, along with UBISoft--and then my own games library on disk (I draw the line at CDs--floppies are useless, of course, for long-term storage) dating back decades (GOG is much better, though--because of OS changes and improvements in storage mediums that have obsoleted many games that GOG has rehabilitated all the way to Windows 10.)

I think that EA has something here...good concept, right price, etc. But will they use it to the best advantage of both themselves and their customers? We shall see. Just might take a crack at it myself...! I'll admit that EA has in the past said/done things that have teed me off for one reason or another--there is no question about that (sometimes EA seems as clueless about its markets as the Democrat party is about American voters--but let's not get into that...;)) A good deal is a good deal and it doesn't matter who offers it, seems to me...! When it comes to that, EA is surely more credible than some.

Edit: Just signed up...downloading DA II & Inquisition...;) (Two games I wanted to look at more than buy. Not bad...!)

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2017, 16:05.

News Comments > Origin Access Free Trial
9. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 15, 2017, 14:43 WaltC

Dirty Butler wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 14:18:
Well EA banned my account due to a chargeback on Origin even though I didn't have any payment info. So yeah, I have a problem with EA since I can't play half my games on Origin and they refuse to do anything.

You are not very clear at all--what are you talking about? (Rhetorical.) Commercial accounts don't get "banned"--that's what happens in free-sign-up forums to people occasionally, though--and it doesn't involve commercial transactions.

It's not EA's fault if you don't use PayPal, etc. That way, you let PayPal deal with the vendor while relieving you of the problem. Works well, btw. PayPal saw a sizable chunk of change refunded to a useful personal bank account recently, and in a matter of days--far outclassing my own bank's CC account center, which had written me and told me they'd have to wait *thirty days* before they could *start* to do anything. No one was more surprised than me when in less than ten days after listing my problem with Pay Pal, they not only agreed with me but also wrangled an immediate refund out of *Sears.* Almost no one at the Sears "customer-service center" , btw, even spoke English...! So glad I used Pay Pal for that transaction instead of just relying on my bank's CC department! It costs you nothing to protect yourself in online dealings as well as you can, imo.

(Stay very, very far away from Sears *on-line*, is my recommendation! Although they try to imitate Amazon there is *no comparison.* Dealing with Sears Online is a great illustration of the principle of "looks can easily deceive." Terrible, reprehensible service--but PayPal saved the day! Whew!)

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
14. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 11, 2017, 13:59 WaltC

edaciousx wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 17:59:
Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 14:47:
Yeah, hold it in a muslim country and see how that works out for you. This liberal stupidity over this issue never ceases to amaze me. Yeah, fuck security, let's just open the borders entirely and let anyone do whatever they want. I'm sure that'll work out well.

This is probably the first time I 110% agree with you.

What the press--most of it, anyway--deliberately keeps forgetting is that Trump has never opposed legal immigration. It's only the illegal kind that he opposes. We have legal immigration laws and procedures for 101 good reasons, at least--to restrict disease carriers, criminals, and terrorists, etc. The legal immigration process gives us time to properly vet immigrants and ensure that they have something of value to contribute to America--so that unlike what we've seen from Cuba and Mexico in the past--countries aren't cleaning out their jails and essentially deporting their felons to the US where these people then become our very big problem. Every other nation (with the exception of the foolish EU atm) has very strict anti-illegal immigration law--just try illegally immigrating into Mexico, for instance...;)

Pushing for illegal immigration makes not even an angstrom of sense--it's ridiculous, illogical, and completely irresponsible and unmindful of American citizens and their rights to be safe in their own country. In the oath of office the President takes, he pledges to protect America from "all enemies, foreign and domestic." The concept of "open borders" seems to me a clear violation of that oath--Trump is the first President in a long while who is taking that part of his job seriously.

BTW, the 9th circuit should be abolished...;)

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Giving Way to Steam Direct
12. Re: Steam Greenlight Giving Way to Steam Direct Feb 10, 2017, 15:32 WaltC

Bundy wrote on Feb 10, 2017, 14:50:
[

I'm just saying $100 is probably too low, everyone can scrounge up $100. But $5000 is probably too much. Steam will just become a store of AAA games. If that's all you want, then that's fair. I'd just like some wiggle room for indie devs to operate in there somewhere. 5K will push them right out.

Heh...;) $5k isn't enough to even start developing a AAA game. I mean, pick a business--any business--and $5k won't be enough get started. If you can't afford $5k to get international promotion for your software you can't afford to develop, and you need to get yourself a job so that you can eat...;)

News Comments > ZeniMax Wins $500M in Oculus Lawsuit
7. Re: ZeniMax Wins $500M in Oculus Lawsuit Feb 1, 2017, 21:30 WaltC

If FB doesn't win on appeal then this albatross will end up costing the company $2.5B not counting the considerable R&D money already spent on this go-nowhere product already! A few more "investments" like this and FB will say 'bye-bye'...;) It would help if only Zuckerberg was not, like, six years old...;) I don't blame Carmack for seeing his chance to get out from underneath Zenimax--he sold his soul when he sold ID to them--and taking that chance with the gullible child Zuckerberg. (Nobody else was going to pay anything close to that for Oculus.) But man...Zenimax locked him up tight as a drum. But I hope Carmack can get out with his lesson learned! (Don't much care what happens to FB.)  

News Comments > New AMD ReLive Crimson Drivers
5. Re: New AMD ReLive Crimson Drivers Jan 18, 2017, 19:46 WaltC

Dirty Butler wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 23:35:
The date is name by committee?

You're so right! These days it often takes a "committee" to read a simple calendar since the task is often deemed "too hard" for mere individuals--our public school systems seem to prefer editorial & fiction to knowledge and fact these days. Lots of work ahead to get things back on track so that the 21st century in US education will actually begin to seem more like the intended "Jetsons" than a reversion to the "Flintstones"...:)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2017, 13:35 WaltC

Carmack expresses my feelings exactly about all things Apple Mac...;) I have no doubt that he has been trying to free himself form his Zenimax overlords for many years. He saw his best chance in allying himself with someone with deeper pockets than Zenimax--calculated risk--Occulus was not big enough to withstand Z's withering legal assaults. Hope he prevails--when Zenimax started pushing--the jump to FecesBook was inevitable. Zenimax now has a much larger fight on its hands. The fate of Occulus at this point is almost irrelevant. The point is that Carmack feels Zenimax has monetized him, personally, enough and it's time to end that for good. The catch 22 will be the degree to which Carmack sold his soul to the Zenimax devil in the original ID deals...I hope he can be set free.

Personally, I don't see a future for the diving mask VR approach as it is already too anachronistic--a 90's concept. Hope Carmack gets out of the vise, however.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 12, 2017, 14:12 WaltC

CNN is getting amazing...Clapper didn't "reject" anything Trump said--rather, he apologized to Trump, said it was awful, and that no US intelligence sources were involved at all. CNN needs to be shut down and padlocked--all it does is spin one lie after the next. Worthless.  

726 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo