Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 701 (Apprentice)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 28, 2016, 16:10 WaltC

Discrete GPU market share...what's been happening for a couple of years is that while sales of new PCs have been falling, people are wising up and upgrading their PCs piecemeal, via motherboards, cpus, gpus, ram & drives...separately. Amazon does a booming business in these peripherals. It's the only way to fly...;)  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 21, 2016, 14:30 WaltC

The suit was a stinky put-up job by the NY AG--it had only one purpose and that was to smear Donald Trump and deflect attention away from Bubba Clinton getting paid a fortune by the Clinton Foundation's so-called "school." (IIRC, Bubba received $1.5M+ in "salary" from Laureate for doing nothing *visible*, while Trump received $0 from Trump U in salary or otherwise.)

The suit (launched at NY taxpayer's expense, of course) failed to affect the outcome of the election and so the NY AG is settling as he never had a suit he could win in the first place--it was all pure political trash from the start. It's been dropped because since Trump won the election it serves no further purpose for the shysters who launched it. Notice that the state of NY has signified in writing that Trump broke no laws and committed no wrongdoing--it's in the agreement, of course! The whole thing was a fraud from day 1. I have a feeling the NY AG will be receiving some legal lessons real soon from President DJT...;)

If Trump U was "conning people" then so is every college in the US conning people the same exact way. More anti-Trump propaganda exposed as false. Yawn...what else is new? If the phony mainstream press had treated Clinton like they treated Trump all year she'd have lost by 50 points if, that is, she wasn't in jail...;)

I'm extremely happy though that I will not have to suffer through 4-8 horrible years of looking at Billary Clinton and listening to he/she/it lie about practically everything--I don't think the woman can actually make a speech anywhere without telling at least one lie about something...;) (Like being named for Sir Edmund Hillary of Mt Everest fame who for some reason didn't actually climb Everest until several *years* after Hillary was born...;) When caught in *that* particular lie--Hillary was very quick to blame her mother for, in effect, lying to her...! Ha-ha-what joke that woman is!)

Hopefully they'll shut the Clinton Foundation all the way down--should be no more contributions since Hillary/Bubba are no longer a part of the government! I do wonder, however, if the "donors" who anted up hundreds of millions of dollars for *nothing* at all are happy campers at the moment...! Too funny...will Bubba and Hillary wind up like Vince Foster? Heh...;) We shall see, as I doubt the Clintons are in any mood to return their *cough* *gag* *sputter!* "donations."

But, in a sense it would have been fun to see Bubba lurching around the White House, leaning on a cane while trying to feel up the newest interns and getting pole-slapped while cackling happily..."Little girl want a candy bar? Come and sit on Uncle Bubba's lap!" What a WH reality show *that* would have made...! Too bad--however, don't lose all hope--I hear Hillary has signed on to the latest season of "Women Behind Bars"--and I hear Bubba might be interested in a new show next year called, "When Pedophiles Stumble!"...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Win10 Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Refund Over Player Counts?
3. Re: Win10 Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Refund Over Player Counts? Nov 8, 2016, 11:00 WaltC

Don't buy your games from the Windows store--anymore than you'd want to buy them from the Apple store. Ugh!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2016, 16:01 WaltC

Hint: Daylight Savings time is not about energy savings...it's about daylight savings...Specifically, young people in buses going to school each morning have more daylight in the early morning hours--meaning less accidents and fatalities, etc. Especially where ice is on roads in the winter, etc. The idea was to make it safer. Etc. It works. Timed by the sun, people catching the bus at 8:00 am DST will be catching the bus an hour later, at 8:00 EST, which would be 9:00 DST.

Computers and cell phones all set it automatically. Manual time-set devices have to be set--but that's it. 2x per year. It's nothing. When the season begins to change back to spring after the winter solstice, and the days get naturally longer, we shift back to DST. People who see it as a this horrible burden--I wonder how they manage having to get up and get to work *every* morning...;) It must be a life and death struggle for them...;)

Every year...it's the same thing. Waaa--waaa..."Do I have to set my watch? Waaa-waaa..."It's so *hard*!" Sheesh.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
15. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 15:49 WaltC

"The Mac itself, any Mac, is but an expensive dongle for OS X (formerly known as Mac OS), don't ya' know?"

--Joey the Clown, RIP, 2016. "Deathbed Confessions of a Swindler," Simon and Schuster Paperback Riders & Asso.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2016, 15:30 WaltC

The desktop PC (I don't mean laptops, "hybrids" or other battery-powered abominations) is by far the best value going for consumers because (a decent) desktop is user upgradable and user-serviceable. And it never runs out of battery power because it has no batteries! Hallelujah...;)

Microsoft needs to "reinvent" nothing--tried that with Windows 8 and it was a disaster so easily avoided. The desktop form-factor is already the best there is, so incremental improvements there are all that's needed--especially from a software company like Microsoft.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2016, 19:36 WaltC

Congrats, Blue!...btw, the Sergeant Pepper album was released in 1967...;) Darn near *50* years ago! Aggggh! I remember buying the thing on vinyl...;) Of course, I am sure I have missed the actual intent of your comment here...!...but as I am almost doddering I ask your forbearance.

My how time flies when you're having fun, right? Hope to be around for the next 20...! Keep up the great work!

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
11. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 8, 2016, 11:09 WaltC

The whole "the Russians are coming" gambit by the Clintons and idiot (D)s is to once again sidetrack the election away from the issues that count to the ones that don't. Clinton is hilarious...;) She claims her secret, non-secured server with classified info on it was never hacked; and then turns around and accuses "the Russians" of hacking it...! What an idiot...;) After this is over this country needs a new media--the current mainstream media is captained by idiots and administered by fools. Never in my life have I seen it this egregiously stupid. Clinton wants to bring in Bubba, a disbarred lawyer, convicted perjurer, and an impeached president who is a proven adulterer (on government property no less at taxpayer expense) and an accused rapist several times over--and the idiot media thinks that's just great...;) Trump tells a dirty joke ten years ago and they want to crucify the guy. Disgusting--it just doesn't get any more stupid than this...

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Oct 4, 2016, 15:56 WaltC

Early Access = Not Ready for Prime Time = sales gimmick, similar to crowd funding, designed to bring in revenue on unfinished software

What is unclear about this? I've never purchased an Early Access title and never will--never actually even been tempted to engage in one. As soon as I see "Early Access" my interest plummets to 0.

I suppose it's one thing when an established dev with multiple successes behind it might do an EA--but why do people throw away money to amateurs with no track record at all? It's like Kickstarters trying to raise $50-$100k to produce some kind of nice game--not going to happen, 99.9% of the time, imo.

If you run out of interesting, quality stuff to buy on Steam, try GOG. I was surprised recently when I did a comparison of games--lots of nice titles I could find on GOG but not Steam--when I had thought it would be the other way 'round. GOG is pounding the "Early Access" button, too--but just as I do with Steam I ignore it. Just Not Interested. Was surprised to note that my GOG library is 3.5x the size of my Steam Library in terms of titles, although I have more recent AAA games on Steam than I do on GOG, because they just haven't been available.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation
1. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 28, 2016, 20:36 WaltC

This reminds me of the old days in late 80's & early 90's when they would advertise on the boxes of all platform versions the Amiga screen shots, which for years looked dramatically superior to the PC DOS images you'd see in the actual DOS games themselves..;) Four-color CGA looked like garbage warmed over compared to the Amiga's 16 & 32-color modes, and it would be years yet before DOS/Windows games even were released in 16-color EGA as a minimum standard. I remember getting the Tandy 1000 version of Test Drive--which featured AMiga screen shots on the box...;) I was pretty flipped at the CGA output at the time--horrible, with those awful shades of magenta...! I had thought at the time (as I owned both a Tandy 1k and an Amiga 500) that at least the Tandy version should use 16 colors as Tandy had a proprietary 640x200/400 16-color mode available to developers long before EGA became the defacto x86 DOS standard for PCs)--it did not...! I was much younger then and not in the habit of reading the fine print on the game boxes as well as I should have...lol. But all this is just to say that I remember well what it felt like to buy computer software (and hardware!) that was advertised to do things it actually never came close to doing! ($50 back then was like $125 or more today--and the hardware was a terrible buy compared to the price and performance of hardware today--but it was all we had so we bought it gladly when we could!)

NMS...it may seem like a frivolous complaint but I agree with it. Screen shots and artwork as well as rendered videos for promotional purposes--inaccurately called "demos" today (a real demo is *playable*)--should be exactly what the game offers and supports. There is no reason to even use "enhanced artist renditions" anymore as frame grabbing screen shots is so easy today, practically everyone does it at home, etc. Truth in advertising is a worthwhile goal, imo. But with NMS it's unusual because this is a complaint we don't see that much anymore--because it is so easy to publish actual game screenshots and so on. To falsely represent a game's screen shots you have to work at it--doesn't happen by accident.

News Comments > Oculus Facing Political Backlash [Updated]
67. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash [Updated] Sep 24, 2016, 09:53 WaltC

Anyone who would ostracize another person because of his choice of presidential candidate is a jackass in my view (and I don't mean anyone in this thread because I haven't read it.) I support Trump 110% and I also support the right of whoever chooses to support Clinton or Johnson or even Sanders 110%! We live in a free country--I have never seen so much hate and vitriol spewed during an election--it's disgusting. 95% of the people who hate Trump are responding not to anything Trump has said or done but to things people have willingly made up about the guy--he's never made a so-called racist-hate speech--not once! That's a pure lie.

From my view, it is 100% the anti-Trump people spewing the hate and the venom. Just like at Trump rallies it isn't Trump supporters friggin' destroying property and hurting people--it's the anti-Trump people--and in many cases people *paid* to incite riots! Soros should be under the jail--but unfortunately we live under a presently lawless administration--thank God that's about to change!

Any developer who would ostracize customers simply because he doesn't like their choice of presidential candidate is a fool. I don't intend to argue this. There is nothing to argue.

News Comments > Digital Homicide Sues Steam Users; Gets Dropped by Valve
8. Re: Digital Homicide Sues Steam Users; Gets Dropped by Valve Sep 17, 2016, 14:01 WaltC

Wherever you find stories like this you'll find crooked lawyers! No decent attorney would touch something like this.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 1, 2016, 17:25 WaltC

People funding Kickstarters should be *very* careful with games that promise fantastic development for a very small investment. $100k for At the Gates should have put up a big, red flag for everyone. It is far too little for any sort of decent game. Backer patience is irrelevant. Backers don't get their money back under any conditions, and impatience isn't one of them, unless the person starting the Kickstarter elects to return it. 99 times out of 100 that money will be spent in the first year, however. Many people make more than $100k per year at relatively "normal" jobs--just to illustrate how small that amount really is.

I would never support a KS game in which the creator asks for a mere $100k--they ask for a ridiculously low amount because they know they have a far better chance of seeing a successful $100k Kickstarter than they would if, say, they asked for a much more reasonable $1M - $10M dollars. The $100k amount is evocative of a person merely wanting to get his hands on some cash as opposed to someone wanting to develop a really great game, imo. (By way of comparison--Valve said it spent $40M on HL2 development.)

"Personality disorder"...? I think you can kiss that money goodbye...;) What a lame excuse. Caveat Emptor. The only Kickstarters I support are those done by people with established records in the games' industry--who often put up some of their own money in addition to Kickstarter funds--like Brian Fargo, etc. Really, I don't think it would be too much to have Kickstarter itself ask for a Medical Doctor's OK showing that the KS principals have no medical/psychological conditions which might affect completion of the project if successfully funded. Kickstarter could also ask for a recent tax-return--I mean, would you want to hand over $100K+ to a pimply-faced kid, 19, who was employed at a Burger flipping job--or who was unemployed, etc.? No. Don't think so. At the very least KS should publicize a couple of things like that along with the KS presentation--and let the contributors decide if this is someone they want to give their funds to.

News Comments > BT Steamed at Valve: Suing
12. Re: BT Steamed at Valve: Suing Sep 1, 2016, 16:46 WaltC

The BT patents will probably be declared invalid--rightfully so, because "general" software patents are usually invalidated if challenged--which explains why BT has waited so long to sue. BT figured if they do nothing the patents will expire and so they chose to sue on the off-chance that they will win before that happens. They probably have their own in-house legal so they figure the cost for them will be very small--so they have decided to roll the dice. Another example of archaic law engineered for the benefit of lawyers and nobody else. The law ought to be that if you bring suit and you lose then you must eat the attorney's fees for the winner--that's only fair. But the lawyers rallied and got that consequence narrowed to practically nothing--which means that more frivolous suits may be filed--and the lawyers get paid either way! What a con job.

Shakespeare had it right: "First thing we do let's kill all the lawyers!"...;)

News Comments > New AMD Radeon Crimson Drivers
2. Re: New AMD Radeon Crimson Drivers Aug 31, 2016, 21:17 WaltC

Pigeon wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 20:55:
Call me when they fix the HDMI audio issue.

No trouble with it here...;)

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 30, 2016, 17:38 WaltC

Hopefully this will educate Tim Cook on how horrible this "globalism" is--the EU is wrecking Europe--destroying civilizations there that have thousands of years of history. Must be Germany's revenge for losing two world wars...;) If embraced in the US, the same sort of globalism that has ruined Europe will begin ruining the US (Much industry and many jobs have already been transferred out of country, but it can get much worse yet.) And Apple is a big, fat target--just like Microsoft--EU consumers need the EUC "looking after their interests" like they need a hole in the head--this is nothing but a sick cash grab that is in complete harmony with the EU's sick, self-destructive illegal immigration policies.

Cook should simply pull Apple out of the EU, although I am a little confused because Ireland is included in the Brexit, isn't it? Anyway--I'm sure England will provide legitimate tax breaks for companies who come in and hire thousands of their people. It's becoming perfectly clear that the EU is run by a cadre of stupid, dictatorial bureaucrats who know practically nothing about economies in relatively free markets. Dictators are by definition stupid people--and unfortunately the EU sounds more like a dictatorship with each passing day. Hard to believe--but with Germany leading the way anything stupid is possible, sad to say. The German people are smart and I admire them--their leadership seems as dumb as a box of rocks, however.

News Comments > Halo 5: Forge PC Specs
17. Re: Halo 5: Forge PC Specs Aug 27, 2016, 19:31 WaltC

Timmeh wrote on Aug 27, 2016, 15:37:
ok so Halo is an xbox title...

xbox is entirely based on AMD hardware.

recommended specs for pc feature intel and NVidia...

Something smells in Denmark.

You beat me to the same remarks...;) Microsoft is just simply dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to gaming--for reasons I will never, ever understand. The company really struggles with getting computer gaming right conceptually--when it is all so very simple to grasp. xBox & Ps4 are both tailored to AMD-powered cpus and GPUs--but here is Microsoft listing hardware specs as though the company has no clue about anything! They don't--have to remember Microsoft paid $2B for Minecraft--a game that when they bought it was already "as old as the hills and 2x as dusty"...;) Think about that...for the same money Microsoft could have opened a new game studio and published fifty AAA titles @ an average investment of $50M *each*...! What a colossal waste of money. Most people reading these forums could do a much better job than Microsoft with its "gaming division"--if that's what it's called at Microsoft. Amazing crazy ignorance and rank incompetence--I suppose! I don't know how they can be so smart with OSes and other software but so incredibly dumb about computer gaming! Every time I think Microsoft is making progress the company does something like this which changes my mind about that completely!...;)

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Aug 27, 2016, 07:56 WaltC

From the first day I saw the absolutely horrible *name* of the game I doubted it would be anything except a third-rate, in-early-access-forever, grossly amateur game...;) NMS has to be the worst title I've ever seen! I mean, maybe if you cast the game as "There are no other men besides you anywhere in the galaxy" it's at least half-way accurate...;) This game looks like the Ken-and-Barbie-doll notion of space exploration--I've tried to get interested but I just can't. I'm just too old, I guess.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 27, 2016, 07:32 WaltC

No company with a brain is going to pay a 100M-dollars out just because the highly politicized FCC says it should...;) Apple wouldn't do it--nobody would, either. FCC is going to have to either prove its case in court or else drop the issue entirely. I really get sick of stupid web sites with an ax to grind against private companies like AT&T--not that I'm crazy about AT&T, of course...;) But Ars is making something of a completely normal event that Ars is attempting to miss-characterize. There's no story here atm.

And, sorry, but there is no way that 5 partisan political appointees can ever hope to adjudicate ~250,000,000 Internet users in the USA...;) Not gonna' happen. The FCC is a holdover from the 1920's or thereabouts...! Stupid (D)'s however, remain clueless and endlessly seek to turn the Internet into a political body that acts outside of common-sense business methods.

News Comments > PlayStation Now Coming to PCs
2. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 15:38 WaltC

Please don't forget mouse & keyboard support, as well as resolution and texture support fitting the PC environment--if you'd like these games to do well. Dead-dropped ports won't do at all. Thx...  

701 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo