Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for WaltC

Real Name WaltC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WaltC
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 31, 2003, 04:03
Total Comments 853 (Graduate)
User ID 16008

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 21, 2018, 19:42 WaltC

Creston wrote on May 21, 2018, 19:03:
One hundred MILLION??? Is Fortnite making them that much money??

Certainly a misprint, no question...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Flight Sim World to be Grounded
6. Re: Flight Sim World to be Grounded Apr 29, 2018, 23:04 WaltC

jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2018, 14:07:
Buyer beware, and don't buy early access?

You bet--Caveat Emptor! look at all "Early Access" games and even Kickstarters with healthy but searing skepticism, and don't spend $1 more on any of these prematurely selling games than you can afford to lose. You are probably OK with devs you already know through the successful products they have launched--but newbies? Nah, stay away. No point spending money just for them to discover they underestimated their development budget by 200% or more and simply quit. Does Steam refund EA games that are canceled before release? Can't recall. That would be nice...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 28, 2018, 21:16 WaltC

Seems a waste of money--the reason flu vaccines don't work well (if they work at all, which is doubtful)is because as it spreads, as the flu virus jumps from person to person, it *mutates* every time, making a vaccine for *the* flu strain afflicting most people quite impossible. Each year millions of people in the US get flu vaccinations and each year it seems we have pandemics of flu, anyway--and that's why. The flu vaccine makers simply guess at a particular strain and manufacture the vaccines for *that* particular strain--which would be great if the flu virus *did not mutate* from person to person--but it does and we know it does. The impossibility of a flu virus that works is pretty solid--but like everything else, greed and a willingness to throw away good science for wishful thinking carries the day.

Oh, they could theoretically manufacture a vaccine for your particular strain, but the problem is that a) it would cost a small fortune, and b) the time time it takes to synthesize it would be much longer than the usual 7-10 day flu lasts--in other words, by the time they finished it you would already have recovered from it naturally. It would be possible to cure the common cold the same way--but, again, by the time they manufactured the vaccine for *your* cold you'd already have recovered from it naturally. (this is all old, well-established science.)

I'm a great believer in vaccines, generally--for stuff like small pox, polio, and stuff that doesn't mutate. But the flu vaccine looks like a giant dead end. Like I say, a couple of decades back this was well known--today that knowledge takes a back seat to a lot of bad information. Pharmaceuticals are making lots of $$$ on the scare, but I've seen far more young people ~15-16 years old *dying* of common flu complications these days, and that is something I heard *nothing* about at all when I was that age and we had no flu vaccines at all. Seems the vaccines may well be worsening the flu virus universally, making it more virile--it isn't clear what's going on--except that flu shots are not a panacea for the flu--just more false security of the kind people seem to crave these days. Wish it wasn't so...

News Comments > Midday Tech Bits
1. Re: Midday Tech Bits Apr 27, 2018, 14:09 WaltC

Both AMD and Intel reporting "record" revenue and profits, and yet some people are still saying (as they have been erroneously saying for the past couple of decades), that the PC industry is "dying." What it's been "dying" for are new an innovative products, and thanks to AMD we've got them again, from *both* companies (Intel seems to do *nothing* until AMD lights a fire under it, apparently.)  

News Comments > New Ryzen CPU Reviews
21. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 20, 2018, 12:53 WaltC

El Pit wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 09:52:
Wow! They Ryzen 7 2700X would definitely be my choice - a lot of BANG for the money! Nice to see that intel finally gets real competition with the Ryzen cpus. Unfortunately, on the gpu side of things nvidia has nothing to fear. AMD, you pulled off something great with your cpus, now go and deliver some great graphics power!

Agree completely on the CPU part of the equation. It appears that if Intel experiences no direct competition in the CPU marketplace, the company loses interest in cpu R&D altogether! (A position highly sought after by monopolists worldwide, both actual and hopeful, I hear...;))

Those folks who for whatever reason prefer Intel cpu products should feel gratitude towards AMD--last time this sort of thing happened was when the K7 (Athlon) debuted--an event which directly led to Intel canceling all further development of the original Pentium architecture to make room for the 64-bit Core 2 architecture (because it was not even a competitor to AMD's K7 designs at the time!) Intel even spent money on a global ad campaign that stated, quote, "You don't need 64-bits on the desktop!" I doubt I shall ever forget that ad campaign because it illustrates perfectly the folly of trying to sell a negative concept as if it was positive. IMO, you'd have to be extremely arrogant to even try it.

But the GPU side of the fence is nowhere near being as simple a case as one might be forgiven for thinking these days, a general opinion that seems to favor nVidia based merely on a few repetitively published, low-res frame-rate benchmarks, etc. I, for instance, did not buy my 27" QHD (2560x1440) monitor and my 8GB GPU to play games at the low res of 1920x1080 or even lower, strangely enough (Yes, people are still publishing even 1280x720 benchmarks!) Simply put: no one who games at QHD and up should be buying his GPU based on its reported frame-rate performance at 1920x1080 and lower...;) Of course not, since the user won't be using his GPU in that manner.

But when we start running the benchmarks (and preferably the games) at QHD resolutions and up (what I bought my gear to do), then suddenly, presto-change-o, there is not a spit's worth of performance differences between AMD and nVidia!...;) This fact becomes especially poignant if one is also able to save huge percentages of the GPU purchase price at the same time by simply eschewing nVidia--money better spent on additional hardware and software, imo. It's amusing, if nothing else, to see these low-res benches pop up. But the actual value of such low-res benchmark results for people who buy QHD+ monitors and GPUs with 8GBs of onboard ram seems absolutely nil.

News Comments > New Ryzen CPU Reviews
20. Re: New Ryzen CPU Reviews Apr 20, 2018, 11:40 WaltC

Great coverage, Blue...;)  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2018, 10:29 WaltC

Hope you mend quickly! I would judge your stomach to be made of iron, though, as Advil totally destroys my stomach every time...;)  

News Comments > Ys VIII Fix Plans
4. Re: Ys VIII Fix Plans Apr 17, 2018, 13:37 WaltC

Releasing a bug-ridden port and *then* fixing it guarantees crappy sales and a poor reputation. What's the point? "Vsync not working" has to mean "We were too busy to test the port before we shipped it to our unsuspecting customers." When will developers and publishers learn, I wonder? How much do they want to lose--is there a limit?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 17, 2018, 13:24 WaltC

ForgedReality wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 10:46:
Will Windows 10 ever be out of alpha?

Heh...;) I've been an Insider since 10/2014...;) Still am. I honestly cannot remember the last beta build I had a problem with (for at least a year or two), and whatever the problem for the latest official release is--it hasn't affected me even once. I'm now on Win10x64, version 1803, build 17134.1, the latest and I would bet the the latest official release build is this very build. It's the best, most stable, most backwards-compatible (especially for games) version of Windows yet to be released, imo. Way, way better than 7 and better by far than 8.1. Blue-screen, green-screens? What are they?...;) Can barely remember the last one I had--and that was from too much overclocking--ie, my fault and nothing to do with the Windows code base at all.

I think you may not be aware of the development cycle for Windows 10 these days. Microsoft is developing *two* official release builds of Windows 10 per year--one every six months or so. In Perpetuity. (The Insider's beta program is not open to the general public, but anyone who wants to may join it.) When the official release builds are released to the public they are *free*, and if your original Windows 10x64 license was retail (as opposed to OEM)--and if you built your own machine as I always do--then you get the latest Windows10x64 release whenever you wish to upgrade your present version for as long as *you* live...;) Pretty sweet deal, if you ask me. OEM Windows licenses expire when you dump your hardware, but even with those you can continue to upgrade to newer versions gratis so long as you keep your hardware--which almost always means just the motherboard. Retail licenses follow the customer; OEM licenses follow the the OEM hardware (motherboard.)

This is the the way they will do it for now on. There will be no "Windows 2020" or "Windows 11,12,13 or 14," etc. It's Windows 10--only version and build numbers will change. Not sure why some folks have such a hard time with the concept, myself--it works very well, imo.

When with Win7 it used to take me 2 + hours to do an upgrade install, with Win10x64 upgrading through Windows Update it takes me 15-20 minutes offline to upgrade, because nowadays most of the upgrade is done while you are online and still working with other apps, playing games, etc. An SSD makes a nice difference, but they've changed the whole structure of the upgrade install so that nowadays only a small portion of it is handled offline. It's *nothing* like it used to be--it's far better.

Just thought you might like to know...;)

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 11:10 WaltC

CNN calling out Facebook for hosting a fake page is pot calling kettle black...;) Unlike CNN's deliberate, calculated fake news, FB simply hosted the page. It is true, however, that FB made no effort to verify the page as legit, even though it was a FB page seeking donations. Not surprising as FB never questions much of anything tied to "liberal" political causes, fake or otherwise.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 9, 2018, 13:43 WaltC

SNL roasting the six-year-old Zuckerberg--it's what I like to see...;) Liberals cannibalizing liberals as they rip each other apart in public over who is the most self-righteous--does the old ticker good...;)  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 31, 2018, 10:26 WaltC

I'm automatically opposed to Fake News...;)  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 29, 2018, 14:17 WaltC

I'm surprised at Trump's attitude is what it is, and it's one of the few issues where I disagree. I think he's working with older information that predates the current sales-tax situation--I pay sales tax on everything I order from Amazon now. Besides, sales tax is the *least* of the reasons Amazon is a success--its success comes from an excellent Internet presentation coupled with a first-rate order-delivery system (lots of major companies besides Amazon use UPS and Fed-Ex and the Post Office for their businesses); and the fact it doesn't have to pay for brick and mortar retail stores, either. But then, anybody in business who wants to avail himself of the Internet as Amazon has done is free to do so.

I'm a Prime member for the $100-a-year 2-day delivery (and often one day, these days, for no extra cost) option--and every year I save more than that on shipping charges. There is no minimum charge as a Prime member--if it costs fifty cents you can get it in two days or less, no charge for the shipping...;) Prime isn't perfect--sometimes the thing you really want isn't on Prime, and sometimes even the Prime marked merchandise takes > 2 days to get to you (by no more than a day, usually, when that happens.) But overall it works very well. I don't understand Trump's objection to Amazon using the Post Office (Prime stuff usually comes 2-day UPS and occasionally Fed Ex--never post office, though--that is for people who are not Prime members and still want free shipping on minimum $35 orders, etc. No time guarantee on that deal, either. Why would Trump think that UPS and Fed-Ex would not want Amazon's business?) So Amazon pays what the U.S. Post Office asks and Trump finds a problem with that? He'd rather the US Postal service not get that additional income from Amazon? Trump is obviously working with older information about this.

The only thing I find weird is that Bezos is obviously a very conservative businessman, so why the political-liberal pretension? Is it faux guilt ((D)s like the fantasy that if you're successful then you had nothing to do with it...;))? But the WaPo has been only marginally better suited for my toilet paper roll than the NYT in the last couple of years...;) I can definitely agree with Trump about that...;)

News Comments > No Man's Sky Next This Summer
6. Re: No Man's Sky Next This Summer Mar 29, 2018, 13:45 WaltC

I didn't buy this because I pretty much could see that the game wasn't ready for prime time--not really AAA quality or quantity on initial release. I'm still on the fence about it because they've certainly worked hard on patching bugs and adding some new capabilities. But if the price comes down to $29.99 or so I will probably take it for a spin, maybe. I'm not really a fan of "procedural generation" because of the way it looks in this game, and the way most games handle it: as a semi-random amalgamation of combined models and textures--for instance, putting the same "head" on different bodies, or vice versa, with a semi-random spread of a finite number of textures--by way of semi-random algorithms. The upshot is that after a awhile the player begins to recognize the various "parts" and/or textures he's seen before, in a different part of the game, used again and made a part of different flora or fauna, or other models, etc. Still, when the price gets low enough I might still buy it, eventually.  

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1
14. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Episode 1 Mar 28, 2018, 12:39 WaltC

Very disappointing, frankly. Episode 1--Garriott is looking for a cash cow to keep him in the $$ for as long as possible, and the amazing thing is that he has often said that very thing himself. I cannot recall if the original KS campaign even mentioned "episodes"--or if this was something that came later after the "successful" KS campaign.

Downloading the demo now to take a look.

Edit: Demo doesn't let me look at offline mode at all, and from what I can see of the online mode it's taking elements from Skyrim (dragons), NWN (menu style), D:OS2 (mirror for character build). Looks like Garriott is taking things he likes from a range of already successful RPGs and attempting to blend them into this.

Look's like he wants $39 per "Episode"--It is very difficult to say because of the vague wording of the store presentation. "Access to Full Game" either means online and offline, or else it means all of the upcoming "Episodes." Store really doesn't say.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2018, 13:18.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Mar 24, 2018, 12:06 WaltC

And here I had thought that FarCry 5 might seemingly be a good game...;)  

News Comments > Myst Series Coming to Windows 10
1. Re: Myst Series Coming to Windows 10 Mar 17, 2018, 16:42 WaltC

Almost all the Myst games already run fine on Win10x64 (GOG), but a few, like Riven need a bit of configuring--and a couple, like Exile--won't run on modern Windows no matter what you do with them. Should be interesting.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 15, 2018, 20:12 WaltC

Hawking's computer speech always sounded exactly like my Amiga's synthetic speech in the late 80's early 90's...;) Had a lot of fun typing in the words and then hearing them!  

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal?
10. Re: NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal? Mar 10, 2018, 18:58 WaltC

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Mar 10, 2018, 16:22:
Illegal or not, I hate this shit. When I worked at Babbages in the late 90's I had to put stickers on all of our games that said "Only works with 3dfx". It was complete bullshit... Nvidia, ATI and Matrox cards also worked perfectly fine at the time when using OpenGl.

Nvidia is pulling the same shit that was done to them decades ago. I don't have any patience for it and I'm shocked gamers are so quick to defend this kind of stuff. All these types of programs do is attempt to eliminate competition in a very sleazy, cheap way.

Well, at one time all the 3d games you could buy were GLIDE games, and they only ran on 3dfx products (because GLIDE was 3dfx's API, of course.) When 3dfx first began manufacturing "3d" cards there were *no* Windows 3d APIs, and that's why 3dfx invented its own. Indeed, there was widespread speculation that Microsoft was going to buy 3dfx/GLIDE and that it would become the official Windows 3d API. Until 3dfx everything was 2d and that was when the Matrox Millenium was the GPU to have...;) Some companies tried to make their "own" 3d cards, using fledgling APIs, but compared to 3dfx's 15-30 fps capability at the time they were slide shows, literally ~5 fps--or less (ATi prior the ArtX purchase, Matrox, and even Intel with its i7xx series of discrete 3d cards which ran off of AGP system ram in place of using an onboard frame buffer like 3dfx--and several more. They were all so slow at rendering that none of them was an acceptable choice for "3d.")

I had a big GLIDE library in those days. There was no D3d or Windows OpenGL 3d API at the time. (And "OpenGL" derived from SGI served as the foundation for 3dfx's hardware and GLIDE, IIRC, as most of the original 3dfx founders were former SGI employees, again--IIRC). It wasn't until ~3-4 years later, around 2000, that D3d reached feature parity with Glide 3.x when it hit D3d 7, and then people like Carmack were pushing nVidia and OpenGL. A year later 3dfx abandoned GLIDE for D3d, bought a debt-ridden plant in Mexico from STB (had ~$500M in hidden debt, which 3dfx had assumed via the sales contract--*without realizing it*!), and then 3dfx went broke and in the end the pieces were scooped up by nVidia. It was a good lesson on why the tech engineers in a hardware company should Not also serve as its financial managers...;)

There is no law against any IHV selling only nVidia cards or only AMD cards, etc. Giving discounts for exclusive selling (either AMD or nVidia GPUs but not both) is also quite legal and above board for both companies. Volume discounts for both companies are of course quite legal, as well. But the hard fact is that neither nVidia or AMD could afford to pay enough to more than a couple of IHVs to exclusively sell one line of products but not the other. Right now demand for AMD GPUs is through the roof and it is a seller's market for both lines--because neither AMD or nVidia are willing to up production to meet the mining demand or willing to manufacture mining-exlusive GPUs that don't do video output, etc., strictly for miners. So if nVidia is paying IHVs to sell its GPUs exclusively it is costing them an arm and a leg to do it, in some fashion, because any hardware IHV who doesn't sell both cards will be losing a tidy sum...;) As I said, there are a couple of IHVs who do that for AMD and for nVidia, but only a couple. If AMD feels nVidia is being non-competitive then I would expect them to say so.

All that said, nVidia has a reputation among hardware IHVs in China of being pushy and demanding and threatening to affect their supply, but fortunately the IHVs can fight back and call their bluff through deals with AMD, etc. They did with giant Intel, remember, when AMD introduced the k7 (Athlon)--Intel rattled sabres for a long time but the mboard IHVs were not rattled--they upped their cooperation with AMD, instead. Intel soon saw the futility and stopped all of that, and recently paid AMD $1B cash for that long-ago behavior...;) Bottom line: I don't think that any IHV will be put over a nVidia barrel it does not want to be put over.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 13:31 WaltC

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 10:51:
The witch hunt continues...

CNN: Fake News Kings (well, it's close between the NYT and CNN...;)) "If it's dumb and stupid, chances are CNN has already said it."

853 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo