Descending
Limit Results:

53 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: [bowling for] columbine
Apr 21, 2003, 19:14
Re: [bowling for] columbine Apr 21, 2003, 19:14
Apr 21, 2003, 19:14

>do you know how many laws they broke to get those weapons and commit that terrible crime?

They obviously wern't being enforced that well if they could break 19 laws and not get caught. The fact of the matter is that if I wanted to lay my hands on a handgun I have absolutely no idea where I could. Its not a matter of breaking laws, its about availability. I`d only have to break one law to be in possession of a handgun. its what that law IS thats important, not how many i have to break..

>You're still more than 3 times as likely to be killed by lightning as you are by school violence.

what about gun crime in general?

>Heston did not say all those things that Moore made it appear that he said. Moore spliced his words together to create completely different statements in some cases.

so he did say them. he just didn`t necissarily say them in the context of which they were presented. he still said them. That was my point. The film still dealt with documented footage. Footage which was edited to present an argument, but real footage none the less. My point was that this is no different from what FOX and CNN have been doing for years now. "libaray" footage gets used a hell of a lot when you`re trying to proove a point.

>Nobody likes a liar.

two thirds of Americans don't, but he's still your president

Look, i`m not anti-american. I'm not pro michael moore. I appluad that he does do the things he does, not necissarily how he does them. but its better that there is a dissenting voice than none at all. Personally, I`m anti gun, anti war and anti bush. But i also live in a country where i have no ability to do anything about those things. I can't own a gun, have never held a gun or could get one if I wanted to. I protested against this war, not becuase I don't think Saddam is a bad man, because the politics of this war are wrong. But i didn`t vote for Bush, I couldn't vote against him becuase I`m not an American - yet he dictates my foriegn policy, since my Prime Minister is too tied up in big business to think for a fraction of a second about domestic issues. These are scary times, and for anyone to challenge these things is a Good Thing. Democracy only works if all voices are aired.

For going WAY off topic I appologise.

Re: [bowling for] columbine
Apr 21, 2003, 18:31
Re: [bowling for] columbine Apr 21, 2003, 18:31
Apr 21, 2003, 18:31

Four years ago...wow; doesn't seem like it. I remember sitting on a plane and reading the story in the newspaper. Five pages of a broadsheet it took up, with grainy NTSC photographs, scan lines and all. I also remember that three column inches were devoted to a report of what happened: that two teenagers dressed in trencoats opened fire on their classmates, killing 12 students and one teacher. I remember the rest of the pages were taken up with a whole load of blame - blame the music, blame the computer games, blame their politics, blame their upbrining, blame the NRA, blame gun laws, blame Clinton.... I don't rightly recall if anyone blamed Harris and Klebold, but i`m sure they were mentioned...I know that I was blamed, in some part, when i touched down in my destination and suffered a 30 minute delay in customs because i was wearing a leather trench coat. Or when i was refused service in a nearby store - and when i was called a nazi by serveral complete strangers. I remember sitting in my hotel drafting a letter to the newspaper I had read on the plane after reading a strength of feeling on the internet that all of these targets of blame were bad. These blame targets were wrong.

I understood, in Bowling for Columbine, the point of blaming bowling. I applaud Michael Moore for what he does, especially in this current climate where to question how things are done is to be a traitor. To debate what is, and what is not a documentary is to miss the point I think. The persuit of truth in any time is a fool's errand, where bias and mediation take the place of factual reporting. Editing footage is so comonplace we forget it happens a lot of the time. Did Charlton Heston say these things? Yes, he did. Were the audience, and to some extent, Mr Heston himself, mislead by Moore? Yes, they were. But then, was the audience mislead four years ago when the shooting took places? I'd say yes, we were.

I believe that most of the anti michael moore feeling at present has more to do with his stance on the war with Iraq, than his Bowling for Columbine release. It bothers me that a country which prides itself on freedoms and rights is so hell-bent at the moment at eroding those freedoms to replace them with patriotism. To the outside, the USA looks like an insecure country that can't take any criticism. I'm not sure this is true, but reading some stuff on the internet recently, its hard to refute. I've been told that I should "go to iraq and be a human sheild for saddam," simply by expressing my opinions. Anyway, I'm getting off the point.

The question I remember asking myself four years ago was this: if they hadn't have had easy access to firearms, would this tragedy have happened? I don't know the answer. Gun's don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps.

In my country, the last school shooting was less than 100 miles away from me at Dunblane primary school, where 15 kids and their teacher, were all gunned down during gym class. This happened in 1996, and brought in new laws making it illegal to buy or possess a handgun. Nothing like it has happened since. I can only hope nothing like it ever happens again.

No subject
Mar 20, 2003, 15:18
No subject Mar 20, 2003, 15:18
Mar 20, 2003, 15:18

Re: not only that....
Mar 15, 2003, 14:49
Re: not only that.... Mar 15, 2003, 14:49
Mar 15, 2003, 14:49

Oh yeah, the other thing is that do you really think that sierra will publish half-life 2 and condition zero at the same time? since CZ has been moved back to Q4 this year, it seems unlikely they'd bring out the two titles at the same time..

my last word on the topic, I promise!

alnya - typing and thinking at the same time

Re: On Cg
Mar 15, 2003, 14:35
Re: On Cg Mar 15, 2003, 14:35
Mar 15, 2003, 14:35

>>cg is just a shader creation tool

ahhh, thanks kyleb... I'll go wear the pointy hat and sit in the corner...

Regarding the article, it seems to me that all they're doing is taking hype that graphics card manufacutrers have been using to drum up business for their cards ("Get my card cos it will run the games you want really well!!!") and taking that to mean that the games are coming out.
I mean, its like taking nVidia's press statement of a while back that their cards could render Final Fantasy in real time and saying that means they're going to release it...

Possibly not, my german is rusty, and babel fish doesn't help...

cheers
alnya

On Cg
Mar 15, 2003, 13:55
On Cg Mar 15, 2003, 13:55
Mar 15, 2003, 13:55

Ok, I realise this is kinda off topic, but the article mentions it...

Since the Geforce FX "comes with" Cg (I say "comes with" cos it sums up the best way to say that, I believe, its the first nVidia card to ship with the Cg API - I may or may not be mistaken) and ATI's cards obviously don't understand it at all, does that mean that while FX seems kinda underpowered at the moment, when software comes out that uses Cg it will blow the socks off ATI? Or not?

Sorry to be off topic.

Re: No subject
Feb 15, 2003, 14:37
Re: No subject Feb 15, 2003, 14:37
Feb 15, 2003, 14:37

Eldaron,

downloading it now - it was the older demo i had probs with, so I guess i should have tried the new demo before opening my mouth. Thanks for the tip.

alnya

Feb 15, 2003, 13:21
Re: No subject Feb 15, 2003, 13:21
Feb 15, 2003, 13:21

Looking forward to this one, if I can iron out the kinks in my system. When i installed the demo I got really bad crackles and distortion through my sound card (creative SB Live!). tried re-installing direct X and sound card drivers, but no avail. Anyone else have this problem, or am I just being thick?

still, looks pretty

alnya

Re: OotB
Feb 11, 2003, 20:03
Re: OotB Feb 11, 2003, 20:03
Feb 11, 2003, 20:03

>>Am I the only one who is completely perplexed by today's OotB??

It's a quote from "Best in show" - see yesterdays OotB or

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0218839

Great movie

alnya

Feb 11, 2003, 19:57
Re: No subject Feb 11, 2003, 19:57
Feb 11, 2003, 19:57

So what is Bikini Karate then?

Some lost martial art involving underwires used as Nun chukkas? Special moves involving thong wedgies?

Or mibby i`m reading the title wrong...

alnya

Re: Argh!
Feb 11, 2003, 19:52
Re: Argh! Feb 11, 2003, 19:52
Feb 11, 2003, 19:52

ah, what a shame...

Still, not complaining about a free add-on. RTCW multiplayer is a pretty fun exercise, so any add-ons to this can only be A Good Thing. No-one hardly plays it online (i don't think, my gamespy searches for it always return low numbers) so not sure if this will change matters. I guess it depends how big the download is and how quickly it can be put on magazine cover CDs and stuff. I think most of the arcade-style WW2 fans are playing Battlefield now tho . . .

Thing is, with all that development into single player, its a wonder that they don't just release it to the mod community and see what comes out of it. It would be good PR, and they're gonna take a loss on the R&D anyway...

wolfenstein is one of those franchises (sheesh, its a "franchise" now?? Makes me think of $tarbucks or something) that still inspires, at least aesthetically. Or mibby its just the nostalgia talking . . . Still, I thought GM did a pretty good job on the single player.

Shame...

alnya

Re: Best in Show
Feb 10, 2003, 17:52
Re: Best in Show Feb 10, 2003, 17:52
Feb 10, 2003, 17:52

And to think that in some countries these dogs are eaten...

great movie
Peanut. Hazelnut. Cashew nut. Macadamia nut....

not trolling, promise!
Jan 30, 2003, 17:49
not trolling, promise! Jan 30, 2003, 17:49
Jan 30, 2003, 17:49

Mibby i`m just being overly positive here, but i think it's great that games companies do this sort of thing, effectively for free. OK, i have cable, but if the new maps don't appear on a magazine cover CD within a week or so then i'll be surprised.

Normally this sort of thing appears on the "best of / game of the year" edition, so if you want them, you have to pay again. I'll be getting them, and am not gonna look a gift-horse in the mouth!

53 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older