Descending
Limit Results:

63 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Total Recall
Aug 8, 2003, 16:42
Total Recall Aug 8, 2003, 16:42
Aug 8, 2003, 16:42

I for one am a Californian who will not support the recall effort, even though I think Davis is generally an idiot. We cannot allow our constitution to be made a mockery of in this way. And I don't care how tough Arnie thinks he is, he'll be completely ineffective as our governor. The Senate and the Assembly would laugh him out of their chambers. Bush has once again shown his infinite intelligence today <cough> by saying "Arnold would make a good governor". PLEASE!

Release
Aug 7, 2003, 20:23
Release Aug 7, 2003, 20:23
Aug 7, 2003, 20:23

Perhaps everyone should be glad if HL2 is delayed. That would give us a little more time to spend with friends/family before the game comes out and takes over our lives (which it will, because it's gonna be that cool of a game).

HL2
Aug 7, 2003, 18:52
HL2 Aug 7, 2003, 18:52
Aug 7, 2003, 18:52

I just want Half Life 2 to be DONE when it comes out. Just watched a HL2 video clip yesterday in CompUSA (playing on a Mac, no less) and it looked AWESOME. It will probably be the best FPS of all time when it comes out. I'd hate to see that ruined by poor quality control. Games like this are unbelievably complex to program, and not even Einstein could figure out in advance how long it will take to iron out all the wrinkles. So why pace the floor over this game? Let 'em finish it. Go do something else. It'll be done soon enough.

By the way, what's KOTOR (excuse my ignorance)?

HL2 Release
Aug 7, 2003, 18:24
HL2 Release Aug 7, 2003, 18:24
Aug 7, 2003, 18:24

There IS NO reliable source of release dates out there, because most game design companies won't tell ANYONE, besides even the companies themselves don't really know when the product will truly be ready for release.

You know, it's ironic how gamers press companies hard to give a solid release date on a popular game, yet they bitch loudly when the game comes out and it still has bugs. As they say, "you can't have your cake and eat it too". There's only two choices: release a game when it's truly done, or push it out the door on a certain date no matter what. Which do you really want?

Re: Pentagon Futures Market
Aug 5, 2003, 12:31
Re: Pentagon Futures Market Aug 5, 2003, 12:31
Aug 5, 2003, 12:31

Oh, isn't that just great! This is how it starts... first Man invents a way to generate power from the Human Body, then Man invents AI, then the Machines become self-aware, then the Machines take over...and movies become reality...

Regarding the iPod, I must say it ROCKS! I have a new-gen 15 GB model. The slickest piece of electronics engineering on earth. Whether or not it's right for you depends on several factors...such as: Is an ultra-small form-factor and sturdy design worth the extra $ to you? Do you need that much storage? Do you value simplicity over lots of extra features (eg. the Nomad Zen has things like built-in ripping)?

Do some research before you buy. Go to ipodlounge.com for example. There are some issues to be aware of, but overall I'm quite pleased with my purchase. Musicmatch sucks, but they just came out with Vers 8 which is much better. Ephpod is fast, but has problems synching (duplicates songs quite often, tag changes don't stick).

Also listen to the iPod in the store before you buy it. Some don't like the sound quality (I think its fine). Also, Europe models have an unreasonable volume cap due to UK law. Very difficult to hack.

There are lots of accessories out there for the new iPods (car adapters, FM transmitters, cigarette lighter power supplies, etc.), but they are costly and hard to find (most have to be ordered online).

Good luck.

AA
Jul 24, 2003, 15:44
AA Jul 24, 2003, 15:44
Jul 24, 2003, 15:44

It always cracks me up how these threads flow... first we're talking about AA, then some girl with a crowbar, and finally a gorilla's unit.

Anyway, IMHO, anti-aliasing just ain't worth using. Never was, never will be. Too many issues, inconsistencies between games, and performance trade-offs. I have a Ti4400, and I never use AA.

The only thing AA is good for is older games that don't max out your system, so there's lots of extra processing power to waste on AA, and that's assuming that the game in question can work properly with AA. But I wouldn't know anyway, because I only play the latest games. I like to run 'em at 1600x1200 with all settings maxed, so I really don't want to spare any frames on AA for a tiny benefit at that rez.

masturbation / driving
Jul 17, 2003, 16:39
masturbation / driving Jul 17, 2003, 16:39
Jul 17, 2003, 16:39

What about masturbating while driving? Is that a ticketable offense? Is it considered distracting?

"Sorry Officer, I was just trying to prevent prostate cancer... sorry if I swerved, I was reaching in the glove compartment for a napkin...don't want to stain my dress shirt"

masturbation
Jul 17, 2003, 15:36
masturbation Jul 17, 2003, 15:36
Jul 17, 2003, 15:36

I bet it's Catholics that end up with the highest percentage of prostate cancer cases, since theyy ffeell too guilty to masturbbate... soorryy for the pppoor typing, i'm using my lleft hhandd to typpe becuase my right hand is bbusy keepping my prostate healthhy

hehehe...

"Jerk to your Health!"

EPII
Jun 26, 2003, 13:12
EPII Jun 26, 2003, 13:12
Jun 26, 2003, 13:12

I own the Episode 2 DVD ... it is by far the best quality DVD available in terms of picture quality and surround sound depth, IMHO. Great demo DVD for any high-end home theater system. The all-digital DVD transfer that Lucas did can't be beat. But many elements of the movie TOTALLY SUCK, the love scenes and dialog in particular, and I skip them every time. I could have produced more compelling dialog scenes in my own home with family members and a camcorder. I've seen better acting in a fourth-grade play. Wish I could preprogram my DVD player to just play all the cool scenes (city chase, space battle with Jango Fett, arena, final battle) and skip all the crap.

So I'm definitely of two minds about this film. Love the effects, sounds, epic scenes. Hate everything else. And I don't think Lucas gives a flying f@ck, because he's god in his own mind, and is still making tons of money off these films. He doesn't have to do better, so why should he? No matter how bad these films are, there will still be people pitching tents in front of the theater when Ep3 comes out, even though there are plenty of tickets available.

Oh well.

No subject
Jun 19, 2003, 14:42
No subject Jun 19, 2003, 14:42
Jun 19, 2003, 14:42

That flight sim setup is freakin unbelievable! Talk about a flight sim enthusiast!! Now the funny part would be if he had all those power cords going into a string of power strips connected to one outlet. The Fire dept would shit. In reality, he probably had to rewire the house to accomodate all the load. Plus keep the air conditioning on 24-7.

Re: Console vs. PC is a dead argument.
Jun 11, 2003, 14:14
Re: Console vs. PC is a dead argument. Jun 11, 2003, 14:14
Jun 11, 2003, 14:14

Actually I have great fun playing multiplayer with friends on my PC at home, though the hardware to do this is costly since you need two computers and two monitors for most games. But having two monitors sure beats split-screen gameplay. I have a gaming desktop at home, and my company has issued me a bleeding-edge laptop, so I can network the two for LAN gaming. I play C&C Generals, American Conqest, and UT2003 against friends, and when my dad is in town, we play head-to-head on Virtual Pool 3 (the only computer game he'll play, 'cause he's a big pool fan). I also have two USB gamepads, so I can play head-to-head Madden 2003 or FIFA 2003 on just the desktop PC.

Re: No subject
Jun 11, 2003, 14:04
Re: No subject Jun 11, 2003, 14:04
Jun 11, 2003, 14:04

I'm having a hard time deciding whether to buy this one. I've always liked Star Trek, and EF1 was not bad (but not great either), and walking around the Enterprise sounds cool. But it's using a very old graphics engine (albeit enhanced). With games like Splinter Cell out there, and Half-Life 2 on the way, it's hard to get excited about any game running on the Quake3 engine. Besides, Star Trek is really getting played out.

Re: Console vs. PC is a dead argument.
Jun 10, 2003, 21:03
Re: Console vs. PC is a dead argument. Jun 10, 2003, 21:03
Jun 10, 2003, 21:03

One is not better than the other. It's not that simple. Consoles are more appropriate for some people, and PC's are more appropriate for others. Both involve compromises. If you buy a console, the compromise you accept is not having the very latest and greatest games on bleeding edge hardware. You also don't get mouse-and-keyboard control, and must live with low display resolution. If you buy a PC, your compromises are cost, complexity, time, issues with hardware conflicts, buggy software, and frequent patching. You also won't see too many fighting games, and will have to wait for Halo.

I choose the PC, because it has the best mix of features for me and the games I really like, and I like bleeding-edge. But sometimes I get real frustrated with software installation problems and other technical hassles, and wish I just kept it simple and bought a console.

that's my take... choose your poison...

And just in case you ask, Nonicknameforme, mine hangs down to my kneecaps.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 21:05.

Xbox version confirmed
Jun 9, 2003, 17:58
Xbox version confirmed Jun 9, 2003, 17:58
Jun 9, 2003, 17:58

Looks like Xbox owners will get HL2 after all. I'm glad everyone will get to play this cool game. However, I know the PC version will provide a far superior gaming experience for those who have a high-end system. HL2 will be cutting-edge, drawing every once of power from the best gaming rig.

If console makers are smart, the next generation of consoles will be provided standard with some kind of mouse-and-keyboard like control setup, in addition to the standard game pad. That, plus true HDTV resolution, will place the consoles and PCs on more even ground (at least until PCs start shipping with 3D displays and VR gloves).

Re: OK people, put the crack pipe down
Jun 9, 2003, 16:15
Re: OK people, put the crack pipe down Jun 9, 2003, 16:15
Jun 9, 2003, 16:15

#60, the Xbox may be capable of 1080i, but I have never heard of a game running in that mode, and if there was one, it would probably have to make other graphic compromises to run that way smoothly (to balance texture memory limitations). 480p may be more common, but that is simply 640x480 progressive. While that may be a huge improvement over standard TV, this is very rudimentary compared to a PC.

I still think the Xbox is a good machine, but porting HL2 to it would require stripping down the game significantly, probably excessively, IMHO.

Re: OK people, put the crack pipe down
Jun 9, 2003, 14:52
Re: OK people, put the crack pipe down Jun 9, 2003, 14:52
Jun 9, 2003, 14:52

The one reason Xbox can do more with less hardware is that it's only running the graphics at 640x480. When you design a game to run at only that resolution, you can optimize a lot of things (texture detail, RAM usage, video memory usage, etc.). But that will only get you so far with a game like HL2. And I'd hate to see what those stunning screenshots would look like at 640x480. All the little details would be blurred out. Personally I can't bear to look at a game at that rez, which is one big reason I stick with the PC. The mouse-and-keyboard control is another big reason.

Re: Tail wagging the dog...for a change!
Jun 9, 2003, 14:38
Re: Tail wagging the dog...for a change! Jun 9, 2003, 14:38
Jun 9, 2003, 14:38

Those who summarily diss the XBOX are clueless to it's strengths. The games are on DVD, hence no disk swapping. The sound is in glorious 5.1 surround. The HDD and XBOX Live allow for additional content to be downloaded with ease.

The PC has done all those things much longer than the Xbox, and does it better. And I'd rather install a game to my HDD than rely on any game to read from DVD, which is always slower.

I'm not knocking the Xbox... it's quite good for what it is, and is technically superior to other consoles and even many lower-end PC's. It's also a great choice for those who don't ever want to hassle with technical issues when installing/running a game. But it's not the best at everything. And it's getting to the point where new PC games have to be stripped down quite a bit to run on the Xbox. PC's have evolved so much over the last few years... they are capable of so much now in terms of complexity and graphics. HL2 will stretch the very limits of the best PCs. It will be very hard, if not impossible, to get a 733Mhz processor, limited RAM, and an older graphics processor to handle that kind of game the way the designers intended. This is just a fact, not Xbox-bashing.

Re: No subject
Jun 9, 2003, 13:44
Re: No subject Jun 9, 2003, 13:44
Jun 9, 2003, 13:44

Re: post #25, you must not have seen the HL2 screenshots, or read about the physics engine. How can anyone not be looking forward to HL2? It may even be better than Doom3. It just may be the best game of all time, like HL was when it came out. Halo2 won't hold a candle... I don't care how flashy the weapons are.

Gaming OS
Jun 9, 2003, 13:26
Gaming OS Jun 9, 2003, 13:26
Jun 9, 2003, 13:26

Microsoft should include an option in the next version of Windows to boot to a minimal OS for gaming. Kind of like "safe mode" but functional enough for gaming, and LAN/internet play if you need it, but without printer drivers, excess fonts, virus scanners, IE, etc. Of course, to do that MS would first have to admit that their OS as-is is bloated, which they'd never do. And then of course Intel wouldn't sell as many new processors if people could get by with their old PC's in gaming-OS mode. So nevermind, it will never happen.

Re: bill$ (dollar) ghate$
Jun 9, 2003, 11:54
Re: bill$ (dollar) ghate$ Jun 9, 2003, 11:54
Jun 9, 2003, 11:54

Valve is probably finding out that the 733 Mhz processor in the Xbox isn't nearly enough to run this amazing game properly, no matter how much they optimize the engine. Plus, who could stand to play it without a mouse and keyboard? Xbox $ux, PC rOOlz!!

63 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older