Descending
Limit Results:

63 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: HL2
Sep 24, 2003, 13:50
Re: HL2 Sep 24, 2003, 13:50
Sep 24, 2003, 13:50

If you watched the E3 movie, you could see that HL2 was choking in some scenes, and it was running on a 9800Pro P4 3.2GHz

I bet this has more to do with the sudden delay than anything else. Valve probably considers the game "done" (hence their recent comments that the delay was untrue), but Vivendi is really concerned that it won't run well on the majority of systems out there. Perhaps they want better performance scaling added. Maybe they counted on code optimizations that didn't end up helping much. The Nvidia flap is another problem, especially considering all the Nvidia card owners out there. Maybe Nvidia is having trouble with their Det50 Optimizations. Or perhaps Vivendi figures that people will upgrade their systems during the holiday season, which is the best time to release a resource-hungry game like this.

Re: HL2
Sep 24, 2003, 13:03
Re: HL2 Sep 24, 2003, 13:03
Sep 24, 2003, 13:03

Man, you'd think you guys had nothing better to do with your time.

But you have time to visit a gaming enthusiast website and make posts? Don't you have something better to do, like walk your dog or go on a date? Geez, what a nerd!!!

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 13:03.

HL2
Sep 24, 2003, 12:32
HL2 Sep 24, 2003, 12:32
Sep 24, 2003, 12:32

Well maybe this is actually good news...at least for my bank account...because to play this game properly would require me to buy a new processor, more RAM, new video card, new motherboard... and while I'm at it I should get a new mouse, monitor, case, power supply, mouse pad, and a higher paying job... all just to play this game.

My 2 GHz Athlon with 512 MB of RAM and a GF4 4400 seemed like a fairly hot machine until I read the requirements for HL2. At some point, trying to keep up with the latest and greatest becomes a little rediculous...

Re: wakey wakey!
Sep 17, 2003, 19:48
Re: wakey wakey! Sep 17, 2003, 19:48
Sep 17, 2003, 19:48

So Carmack has basically validated ATI's test results and acknowledged that the problem is due to shader precision. His statement also shows that this HL2 issue is not necessarily because "ATI and Valve are in bed and the codebase is optimized for ATI at the expense of Nvidia". Seems like Nvidia's cards really do have a DX9 deficiency. The Det50 drivers better work some magic, or Nvidia will be in big trouble. But I'm VERY skeptical that the Det50's will totally fix this problem.

Classic Computer Magazine Archives
Sep 17, 2003, 14:19
Classic Computer Magazine Archives Sep 17, 2003, 14:19
Sep 17, 2003, 14:19

Here's a quote I pulled from one of the classic computer magazines (probably an early 80's edition):

If you need lots of storage, you can even buy a one-gigabyte hard drive. That's 1,000 megabytes of storage in a single unit!

Gosh...those were the days. 1 gig of storage for only $800 or so. That was a huge amount of storage when you consider the average size of larger files was probably about 50k.

hard drive
Sep 17, 2003, 13:13
hard drive Sep 17, 2003, 13:13
Sep 17, 2003, 13:13

Or you can just buy an Xbox which already has a hard drive built in, and ALL the games written for it take advantage of the storage.

Seems like when a console manufacturer releases a major expansion device, it's never that successful because it's an after-thought, and only a portion of the console owners end up buying the device. So game developers never really take full advantage of it, because they want their game to have high sales and not be restricted only to those who own the expansion. I can remember when many of the older consoles came out with expansions (Sega, etc.). They never did well.

Re: Alcatraz
Sep 16, 2003, 20:32
Re: Alcatraz Sep 16, 2003, 20:32
Sep 16, 2003, 20:32

This may be apart of the "prison level" screen shots we've all seen. Of course, I thought the game took place in City 17, somewhere in Europe

I noticed that too, and the screenshot does resemble the inside of Alcatraz, though not exactly.

Alcatraz
Sep 16, 2003, 15:55
Alcatraz Sep 16, 2003, 15:55
Sep 16, 2003, 15:55

I don't understand the link between HL2, ATI, and Alcatraz Island, unless perhaps HL2 includes an Alcatraz level. But it does seem like a cool place to launch the product, if any of this story is true. So if I want to be the first to own a Raedon/HL2 combo (for the low low price of only $399), should I go pitch my tent at Fisherman's Warf?

Re: A dilemma...
Sep 12, 2003, 18:30
Re: A dilemma... Sep 12, 2003, 18:30
Sep 12, 2003, 18:30

Actually, this whole statement was "horseshit". If you knew anything about driver programming, which I'm sure you don't, you would know that a piece of hardware is only as good as its driver; a poorly implemented driver can make even the best hardware run horribly (and no, I'm not calling the nvidia cards "the best hardware"). Despite minor driver changes released recently, those have still fallen under the Detonator 40 series. The Detonator 50 series, according to nvidia, will be a complete rearchitecture of the drivers, with DX9 functionality in mind. That being said, there is a lot of room for improvement in driver optimizations still, so I won't be giving up on nvidia until after the Det 50s are released.

I'm completely aware of the difference a driver makes. But all the driver optimizations in the world won't fix flawed hardware. After Nvidia's recent driver update history, where they've claimed "40% speed improvements" that in actuality result from severely cutting image quality, I have to really question how the Det50's are going to fix the shader problem, and at what expense. Maybe I'm wrong, but the GF5 has been out a while now, and perhaps they've already hit the wall on performance. I'm sure the truth will be known soon...

A dilemma...
Sep 11, 2003, 12:35
A dilemma... Sep 11, 2003, 12:35
Sep 11, 2003, 12:35

My GF4 4400 has served me well for several years. And I really didn't want to buy another card this year. I'd rather spend that money on a DVD-RW. But now I'm in a dilemma. Half Life 2 looks to be the greatest FPS of all time. I've watched several gameplay videos... it's an amazing looking game. We'll have to wait for the reviews to know for sure, but does anyone really doubt this?

Now, to properly enjoy what could be the greatest FPS of all time, any self-respecting gamer would want to crank all the settings to max, or at least get close to max. I sure do. After reading these articles about nVidia performance, it's sounding like my 4400 will choke on this game, and I would be missing a big part of the full experience.

I used to think nVidia was on top of their game. I even owned their stock once. When ATI surged ahead, I thought that nVidia was suffering only a temporary setback. It's now starting to look like a permanent setback, like they'll never catch up. The cooling fans on the GF5s were a joke...like having a jet engine in your PC case. And this business about the Det 50 drivers is horseshit... there have already been many driver revisions already since the GF5s have come out...so if they don't have it fixed by now, then any fixes they do come out with in the Det 50's will be work-arounds or compromises that won't live up to expectations. Basically they are trying to work around design flaws or shortcomings in their hardware, which will be messey.

So nVidia is about to loose another faithful customer...

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 12:37.

Anti-Grav
Sep 9, 2003, 20:34
Anti-Grav Sep 9, 2003, 20:34
Sep 9, 2003, 20:34

I believe there's a real good chance the government has some kind of anti-gravity, as well as many other revolutionary technologies that would blow us away. However, I really don't give a rat's ass. Why? By the time they make it available to the general public, I'll probably be 90 years old (or long dead). If I can't see it myself, use it myself, or even know for sure that it exists, why the heck should I care?

LAN Head-to-Head Play
Sep 4, 2003, 16:04
LAN Head-to-Head Play Sep 4, 2003, 16:04
Sep 4, 2003, 16:04

While I take advantage of my office T1 line to D/L this demo (right now at 160kb/s...w00t), and wait for the workday to end... I'd like to ask about the multiplayer gameplay. I'm a big fan of one-on-one LAN play in games like C&C Generals, and I'm wondering how HW2 compares. Is it sort of like Generals in space? Is it entirely different? How do things like unit quantity, resource gathering, battle control, etc., compare? Does HW2 play well in multiplayer? Is it fun?

thanks

Re: No subject
Aug 28, 2003, 20:40
Re: No subject Aug 28, 2003, 20:40
Aug 28, 2003, 20:40

Now I know why so many people talk trash about Fredster, Fredrickson or whatever u call yourself... WTF do u think this is...CNN? If I wanted to remind myself of harsh reality stuff like N Korea's nukes, I sure wouldn't be coming here. Reality sux, games rock!

Sheep Shagger
Aug 28, 2003, 16:32
Sheep Shagger Aug 28, 2003, 16:32
Aug 28, 2003, 16:32

So has anyone ordered their Sheep Shagger apron yet? I hear it comes with little straps for securing the sheep's legs so she can't run away.

Blues
Aug 20, 2003, 21:03
Blues Aug 20, 2003, 21:03
Aug 20, 2003, 21:03

Be glad Bluesnews is still here, with the same great content it's always had. Period. Look at all the other gaming sites out there and what they have become. Some merely a shadow of their former selves (ie. VE3D), and some never got off the ground (ie. Gaminggroove, which was supposed to be a great new site by the old editors of VE3D, but it never got beyond the "coming soon" page and the fancy logo). This is the New Internet, where web sites run on a shoestring.

And why do some complain that Blue's layout needs updating? Why does it? The content is what matters. Too much flash just bogs down the computer.

And why do people keep responding to fredsters lame comments, if they don't like them? Let him talk to the wall... jeez....

Keep up the good work Blues

Re: HEADLINE: Video Game Spares Millions
Aug 18, 2003, 17:27
Re: HEADLINE: Video Game Spares Millions Aug 18, 2003, 17:27
Aug 18, 2003, 17:27

Haven't the people behind this Microwave Power Plant thing ever played Sim City 2000?

Hell, maybe that's where they got the damn idea.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. In the game, it was a great source of clean power, as long as the satellite beam didn't go astray and cook half your city's population. It was kinda fun to watch in the game, but I'd hate to see it in real life. Maybe they should just run an extension cord up to the sattelite instead

"I thinkin I might take that new girl from logistics. If things go well, I mgiht be showin' her my 'O' face. OOoooowww. Oooooowww. You know what I'm talkin about....OOOOOOOooooooww!"

Re: Sony
Aug 13, 2003, 16:49
Re: Sony Aug 13, 2003, 16:49
Aug 13, 2003, 16:49

Sony is trying to build their upscale consumer base. I've always liked Sony quality, but much of their stuff is overpriced just beccause of the brand name, and all too often Sony gets caught up in proprietary technologies (Betamax, Minidisc, Memory Stick) that end up being their undoing. Lately I've found myself opting for other brands.

"I thinkin I might take that new girl from logistics. If things go well, I mgiht be showin' her my 'O' face. OOoooowww. Oooooowww. You know what I'm talkin about....OOOOOOOooooooww!"

Re: LOL
Aug 13, 2003, 16:31
Re: LOL Aug 13, 2003, 16:31
Aug 13, 2003, 16:31

Why does DS bother to patch that piece of crap? Hell, I can put a band-aid on a turd, but it's still a turd. A very complicated, bloated, feature-filled turd, but a turd nonetheless.

Re: 57 pages of release notes!
Aug 13, 2003, 16:19
Re: 57 pages of release notes! Aug 13, 2003, 16:19
Aug 13, 2003, 16:19

Wow, I guess it takes a lot of words to say "25% performance increase," which is the usual claim by nVidia at the release of updated drivers.

I think that performance increase claim that nVidia uses is a comparison to the very first set of drivers that the card shipped with. They never seem to change that claim, at least not since the Det 40's came out. If you update your drivers regularly, you'll notice no performance increase in most games, though you may see blurrier textures and other compromises.

Signatures
Aug 8, 2003, 17:11
Signatures Aug 8, 2003, 17:11
Aug 8, 2003, 17:11

Your signature should be something funny, original, and tasteful.... like this one:

63 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older