844 (Graduate)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

844 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 9.
Newer [  1    4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19    43  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Feb 24, 2020, 16:31
Wolfen

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2020, 16:31
Feb 24, 2020, 16:31
 Wolfen

Yeah it's not quite like that anymore. A lot of the younger people are way more open minded. It's just the people (I guess baby boomer age) and up that are generally suspicious. But don't get me wrong I have met plenty of smiles and friendlies as well. Just... when you start flying drones around, or filming... they get a bit nervous. Which is really surprising considering the level of privacy in the public here which is none.

When I was flying one guy came up and stood right over my shoulder and watched as if he was a good friend and never said a word. Was just curious. If you look on youtube for SerpentZA and watch some of his older videos from 2-3 years ago you will see things like what I have described happening.

Feb 24, 2020, 01:15
Wolfen

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2020, 01:15
Feb 24, 2020, 01:15
 Wolfen

As we near the end of Feb here in Shanghai the "rolling into work" method is getting closer to done. They were asking companies to slowly bring in over the weeks what was needed. 1 week might be 10 people, the next week might be another 10, etc. Today marked the first day where traffic in the morning on the way to work was exactly as it was before Chinese New Year. With cars blocking cross walks, traffic police at nearly every major / heavily trafficked intersections, and noise pollution.

I mentioned somewhere else that the one thing I enjoyed greatly during this time is that there has been no construction. Now I am dreading when it starts back up because we will have loads of it and probably on weekends and holidays and even into the nights (that's how they roll out here, that's how they can build entire hospitals in a couple weeks).

I am hearing of some places being allowed to deliver again that were non essentials (a local vape shop for example said they were told they can deliver again).

Deliveries have not failed this entire time. I have to give to the Chinese people here. They bust their a** off when they are delivery guys and they risked themselves as well going out there. Hats off to them for making all our lives a bit easier in this mess.

I went to one of the parks out here to see if it was open and of course it wasn't. I think they are all generally closed still. I just wanted to fly my drone around. I found an open area in front of the park and flew it. Got lots of people staring and questioned if I was allowed to do it. Of course I use a DJI and they geo fence in China. Plus I got my apps showing me where I can and I registered the thing with the government. So of course I could fly. I had to show this to a few of them to get them off my back. Some of the older folks sometimes still have that mindset of the evil westerner coming to spy on us.

Anyhow, outside of all that things are still the same. Still doing temp checks, deliveries still not allowed into compounds, some compounds still requiring a special made license from their compound to enter and exit. Some places going as far as only letting people out every few days to buy groceries, or even at times not even allowing couples to go out at the same time (some of these places are just over reacting and the logic isn't there... which is something you would find a lot of out here).

Feb 18, 2020, 17:09
Wolfen

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2020, 17:09
Feb 18, 2020, 17:09
 Wolfen

For once I can agree with the reports on the news here in China (the follow ups).

Shanghai in particular is still some what empty feeling in comparison to a normal day but don't misinterpret that as actually empty. Day by day I see more and more people on my way to and from work. It's just still lingering at around a rough guess of 25% of what I would normally see.

People at my job started returning this week but some are still working from home if they can. Our work can't really do much work from home as our clients depend on our secrecy and security and we simply can't just sit around do no work at all else we'd go out of business.

My compound has started checking my temperature when I come home. Sometimes they just kind of want to not do it because I ride a scooter and I am a foreigner and it's a bit of a hassle for them to speak with me (being my Mandarin isn't fantastic). But I know what they want and make silly gestures to imply temp check. So they do it and say thank you.

People generally are trying to keep a positive attitude here. A lot of nationalism and coming together as a nation / family can be seen. "Stay strong China" kind of stuff. Seems a lot of propaganda floating around too. A friend posted in a wechat group (another foreigner) a big red sign that said something along the lines of "The Corona Virus is not frightening as long as everyone listens to the party!". Which could be interpreted in different ways. Either just trying to do a keep calm attitude we're under control or keep calm but damn we are screwed. It's always hard to tell here because... it's China. And there is a lot of mistrust inside and outside but also a lot of trust inside.

I am still easily able to get food. Not an issue there. I have friends who are required to carry a license or "pass" from the apartment compounds to be allowed back in. Some compounds are self imposing quarantines. Some are even saying you can only go out 3 times a week. Shanghai's quarantine policy is mainly keep out of other peoples way, stay in as much as possible, but it's not a full lock down. Apartment compounds are a different story. What they are doing isn't entirely enforceable, but at the same time they are because they could just have you removed from the compound. So... it is as well. Sometimes you can get the cops on your side and sometimes you can't in these scenarios. I am lucky and happy to be in a compound that isn't over doing it. I can come and go as I please with only a temp check when I return.

Seems like more restaurants have opened for delivery at least again. I don't know if they have opened their doors for diners to come in. I am guessing more are just delivery than are both open door and delivery.

I don't know if I had mentioned before that it is so strange to have to order a starbucks on the phone. Walk there, only get to the front door with one step in, get my temp checked (with no name or other info taken) and take my drink and leave. Can't even sit inside and enjoy it.

Personally I am tired of some of these measures even though I know they are generally a good idea. Especially the mask thing. Mainly to protect others from yourself it still feels pointless. And with the wrong mask brand you can keep raw on the top and back of your ears from the string pulling 8-10 hours a day.

No heating or ac in the office (makes sense honestly) but also they keep the windows open ALL DAY. With outside temperatures of 1c-10c lately this is just ridiculous. There is an old Chinese belief that it's better to leave the windows open ALL THE TIME. From my understanding (and maybe I am wrong) this is actually more dangerous in times like these because the risk of a cold or catching something grows as you get cold and immune system weakens. Sometimes when I am working I need to wear gloves even for typing. It's rough. haha

Everyday I look forward to coming home and ripping that damn mask off and turning on my heater in my apartment.

I certainly will have a better appreciation of things here once this all blows over though or mellows out at least a bit. Though on the weekends I am trying to take advantage of the fewer crowds and get out and go places and fly my new Mavic 2 drone.

Re: Get Princess Lili for Free
Feb 16, 2020, 20:18
Wolfen

Re: Get Princess Lili for Free Feb 16, 2020, 20:18
Feb 16, 2020, 20:18
 Wolfen

Prez wrote on Feb 16, 2020, 20:02:
Your right, valve probably doesn’t have or can’t afford the resources to translate the game

Wait, are you saying that Valve has anything to do with a random developer's localization?

That's a misunderstanding. It's typical for studios / publishers to do their own localization.

Re: Get Princess Lili for Free
Feb 16, 2020, 16:37
Wolfen

Re: Get Princess Lili for Free Feb 16, 2020, 16:37
Feb 16, 2020, 16:37
 Wolfen

"The hero, Jun Yan, is a young Paladin. When returning from a journey, he happened to pass by the village of AILU after being invaded by demons, and at the same time, he ran into Lili who was chased by demons. With the deepening of the plot, Jun Yan is more and more aware of Lili's close relationship with the whole thing. In the adventure of losing the town with Lili, he gradually understands the whole thing, and is determined to protect Lili (the plot of the game is highly toxic)"

Feb 13, 2020, 20:08
Wolfen

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2020, 20:08
Feb 13, 2020, 20:08
 Wolfen

So it seems the mayor of Shanghai has been moved over to Hubei (Wuhan). Then.. suddenly we see a giant rise of confirmed new cases. The media is reporting speculation that it's due to the new test kits. However, the locals have another theory and that is the new man in charge (Shanghai's former mayor) has exposed the real numbers that were missing all this time or is actually reporting accurate findings in one day. This too is of course speculation until something official comes out.

My thought is, if we see that number continue to decrease at some point in the week then the speculations by the locals were probably accurate. If the numbers stay steady or continue to rise then it is probably the test kits.

Meanwhile, Shanghai suddenly forced 99% of the businesses in the Jing'an area (highly popular tourist area and pretty much central of Shanghai) to close down. It seems like they are allowing them to deliver but they simply can not open their doors. Though a lot of them have decided to just cut it off and close entirely.

Luckily of course groceries are still open and delivering. Wet markets are open (which is crazy, lets just get a slew of people in one place during a virus epidemic).

Anyhow. Should be an interesting weekend.

Feb 12, 2020, 20:03
Wolfen

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2020, 20:03
Feb 12, 2020, 20:03
 Wolfen

Jivaro wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 19:02:
You have a bestselling book to write when this is all over Wolfen...I hope you are taking some detailed notes of your experience. Not many people see the view you are seeing right now.

There are plenty haha. Check out the Shanghai subreddit. Shanghai alone is typically 20million people. Around 150,000+ foreigners registered legally.

Feb 12, 2020, 19:59
Wolfen

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2020, 19:59
Feb 12, 2020, 19:59
 Wolfen

@Blue Put me down for a 5 buck a month or so sub. For this site... serving me since god... quake1? I'll be down to contribute.

Feb 12, 2020, 18:47
Wolfen

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2020, 18:47
Feb 12, 2020, 18:47
 Wolfen

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 18:43:
Wolfen wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 17:49:
Speaking about the Covid-19.

Been back to work for a few days now. It's been strange here in Shanghai.

Enter company building (not owned by our company). Take your temperature, mark you name, id #, company name, phone number, and temp down on a form.

Wear masks all day in office, windows open, no heating / ac (it's god damn freezing in the office. I wear gloves even to type).

Hand sanitizers everywhere. Everyone is eating at their desks or in very small groups (different than normal).

Rough estimate of about a quarter of the people on the roads on the way to work. Oddly yesterday there were less than there was on Monday and Tuesday here.

Most buildings are not allowing deliveries of any kind into even the lobbies of the apartments now.

Some apartment compounds are forcing their tenants to do 14 day quarantines if they returned from out of Shanghai. There is no law or statement from the government that we can dig up that says to do this. But I guess the compounds can kick you out if you don't follow along.

According to the numbers... if you believe them... the new cases count has been going down daily.

A lot of of restaurants and stores are still closed. Delivery of groceries has apparently skyrocketed out here.

Someone showed me an app that showed "suspected cases" that have been identified near you (where they live or where they were discovered anyway). Hard to tell since the app was all in Chinese characters.

Going to be an interesting couple of months.
Thank you for these real world updates.
Best bundle up in the office as it looks like the temps will drop in a day or two.

I never thought bluesnews would become my virus epidemic blog. lol

Feb 12, 2020, 17:49
Wolfen

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2020, 17:49
Feb 12, 2020, 17:49
 Wolfen

Speaking about the Covid-19.

Been back to work for a few days now. It's been strange here in Shanghai.

Enter company building (not owned by our company). Take your temperature, mark you name, id #, company name, phone number, and temp down on a form.

Wear masks all day in office, windows open, no heating / ac (it's god damn freezing in the office. I wear gloves even to type).

Hand sanitizers everywhere. Everyone is eating at their desks or in very small groups (different than normal).

Rough estimate of about a quarter of the people on the roads on the way to work. Oddly yesterday there were less than there was on Monday and Tuesday here.

Most buildings are not allowing deliveries of any kind into even the lobbies of the apartments now.

Some apartment compounds are forcing their tenants to do 14 day quarantines if they returned from out of Shanghai. There is no law or statement from the government that we can dig up that says to do this. But I guess the compounds can kick you out if you don't follow along.

According to the numbers... if you believe them... the new cases count has been going down daily.

A lot of of restaurants and stores are still closed. Delivery of groceries has apparently skyrocketed out here.

Someone showed me an app that showed "suspected cases" that have been identified near you (where they live or where they were discovered anyway). Hard to tell since the app was all in Chinese characters.

Going to be an interesting couple of months.

Feb 9, 2020, 18:09
Wolfen

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2020, 18:09
Feb 9, 2020, 18:09
 Wolfen

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 9, 2020, 16:46:
Interesting, lots of that never reached the news here. Kudos to you for writing it out

Some one had asked me a few days ago to keep posted here about it haha. Figured I would do an update since at least in Shanghai it's the official day to return to work. There does seem to be a soft suggestion of don't open if you don't have to though. I am betting that a lot of places that don't have to won't.

Feb 9, 2020, 16:17
Wolfen

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2020, 16:17
Feb 9, 2020, 16:17
 Wolfen

My friends that work at Tencent have confirmed the new start date of Feb 21.

My work (also game dev) is doing staggered start dates. So a large portion of people in the Shanghai studio won't be starting until the 17th. I am one of the few returning to work today.

Of course this could all change. Things change.

It's definitely still been a bit of a ghost town here in comparison to normal times.

Pretty much everyone wears masks. Lots of meal and grocery deliveries going on. In fact aside from some random cars and buss's that's mainly all you see on the streets are the scooters delivering goods and foods.

I will say that most everyone seems very positive here that I have spoken with or seen. Generally seem to be smiling (from what I can see under the masks by squinting eyes and waves hello). Though for obvious reasons most people are also steering clear of each other. A nice change for my preference as typically in this country personal space isn't really thought about much normally.

Personally in the "wechat" groups I am in most are NOT really talking negatively about this. Though I am not connected with the mainline weibo streams so I don't know what's going on there. Very well could be a lot of doubt about numbers and government.

There is a lot of quarantining of sorts going on. For example my building started with not allowing deliveries to come to our floors and only let them in the lobby. Now they have moved food deliveries to OUTSIDE near the front gate. Still allowing boxed deliveries to lobby though.

I have heard of buildings in some provinces being fully locked down. Local police locking up entire apartment compounds and only delivering food a couple times a week. Haven't heard of that in Shanghai though. But also it wasn't in Hubei / Wuhan (though I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing it there). I saw a recent video going around that showed some one, possibly a guard at a compound with police locking a family into their own home.

Their are temp checks at borders in most towns / cities. Shanghai is doing it. And if you are coming in they ask you to self quarantine for 14 days. Regardless of high temp.

Many commercial buildings management will have temp checks of people entering for work or shopping (of the places that are open). Government in Shanghai is mandating double checks a day for employees for temps and status updates.

A lot of this stuff can vary from province and city though. Each local government sort of does their own thing. In general though there is a lot of work going on to try and prevent the spread.

A lot of foreigners have left or are considering it. I am a foreigner but I plan on sticking it out.

Re: Saturday Metaverse
Feb 3, 2020, 17:15
Wolfen

Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 3, 2020, 17:15
Feb 3, 2020, 17:15
 Wolfen

jdreyer wrote on Feb 1, 2020, 23:35:
Wolfen wrote on Feb 1, 2020, 20:05:
Prez wrote on Feb 1, 2020, 19:33:
**Prez, the uncultured chit that he is, looks up where Shanghai is in relation to Wuhan.

It doesn't matter. While China is blocked commonly from most social media outside the country they have an ENORMOUS internal social media. Wechat, weibo, etc. They communicate like crazy internally. It's quite astounding the amount of social media here.

Wuhan is just west of Shanghai. The problem with this virus is CNY. It happened JUST as everyone was heading out. It's like their Christmas. They all go home. So Shanghai was practically dead and only as of a day or two ago has started to see people come home. But it's as expected less here than last year. That or everyone is staying indoors once they got back. Most of the people in Shanghai are not from Shanghai. So they travel back to their provinces during CNY. People come to Shanghai to make money here.

Oddly I also saw an article about McDonalds and Apple closing their stores... but I bet that's only Wuhan / Hubei because I can still get McDonalds delivered today. Apple wont open though because Shanghai put a more strict rule on saying everyone except essentials (government, hospitals, utilities, groceries / supermarkets) are to be closed until the 9th (return to work on the 10th). That's putting a hurt on the city that's for sure.

Stay safe man, and keep us updated if you can.

I'd offer to send you masks, but we're sold out in the US too.

Hey I will try. Blues is my morning routine haha. Wake up, have some coffee, read Blues.

They are getting really hardcore. Once we are supposed to return to work on the 10th the government will be sending people to offices to check on the staff and health safety implementations. My current company said they will also be providing masks, and anti-biotic sanitizers and all that stuff. They are sending in crews before we go back to wipe EVERYTHING down with sanitzers as well. They already did it for the Chengdu branch because they started on the 2nd. Shanghai extended the holiday to the 10th as a precaution. I think part of it is because its a major hub and they want to ensure safety and money to come flowing back in as soon as possible.

Feb 1, 2020, 20:05
Wolfen

Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 1, 2020, 20:05
Feb 1, 2020, 20:05
 Wolfen

Prez wrote on Feb 1, 2020, 19:33:
**Prez, the uncultured chit that he is, looks up where Shanghai is in relation to Wuhan.

It doesn't matter. While China is blocked commonly from most social media outside the country they have an ENORMOUS internal social media. Wechat, weibo, etc. They communicate like crazy internally. It's quite astounding the amount of social media here.

Wuhan is just west of Shanghai. The problem with this virus is CNY. It happened JUST as everyone was heading out. It's like their Christmas. They all go home. So Shanghai was practically dead and only as of a day or two ago has started to see people come home. But it's as expected less here than last year. That or everyone is staying indoors once they got back. Most of the people in Shanghai are not from Shanghai. So they travel back to their provinces during CNY. People come to Shanghai to make money here.

Oddly I also saw an article about McDonalds and Apple closing their stores... but I bet that's only Wuhan / Hubei because I can still get McDonalds delivered today. Apple wont open though because Shanghai put a more strict rule on saying everyone except essentials (government, hospitals, utilities, groceries / supermarkets) are to be closed until the 9th (return to work on the 10th). That's putting a hurt on the city that's for sure.

Feb 1, 2020, 16:35
Wolfen

Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 1, 2020, 16:35
Feb 1, 2020, 16:35
 Wolfen

Yup. We are super bored here in Shanghai. They extended holiday to the 10th for all non essentials.

Re: Epic Games Store Revamps Storefront; Adds Wishlists to Their Wishlist
Oct 31, 2019, 22:41
Wolfen

Re: Epic Games Store Revamps Storefront; Adds Wishlists to Their Wishlist Oct 31, 2019, 22:41
Oct 31, 2019, 22:41
 Wolfen

Yet they still can't add a wishlist to the UE4 marketplace?

Re: etc.
May 5, 2019, 18:26
Wolfen

Re: etc. May 5, 2019, 18:26
May 5, 2019, 18:26
 Wolfen

Wo cao! Wo zhu Shanghai qi dian.

Re: Tencent and Grinding Gear
May 21, 2018, 18:25
Wolfen

Re: Tencent and Grinding Gear May 21, 2018, 18:25
May 21, 2018, 18:25
 Wolfen

Yeah, this doesn't seem to be much to worry about. Heck, Tencent owns a good chunk of even Epic. They got their hands in a lot of stuff.

Re: New GeForce Drivers Add NVIDIA Freestyle and Ansel Enhancements
Jan 10, 2018, 01:18
Wolfen

Re: New GeForce Drivers Add NVIDIA Freestyle and Ansel Enhancements Jan 10, 2018, 01:18
Jan 10, 2018, 01:18
 Wolfen

Yup. First game I tried (wolfenstein new order) "Requires supported games".

Re: New GeForce Drivers Add NVIDIA Freestyle and Ansel Enhancements
Jan 9, 2018, 19:24
Wolfen

Re: New GeForce Drivers Add NVIDIA Freestyle and Ansel Enhancements Jan 9, 2018, 19:24
Jan 9, 2018, 19:24
 Wolfen

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 19:50:
Have to try out Freestyle, I like Sweetfx-rshaders, but if this is even simpler to use, great.

Have you not tried the latest re-shade? It's pretty sweet and simple imo.

Requires GFE as well. This is crap on win10. Always get shadowplay error on windows launch. I also suspect the update will only support select games, while re-shade supports nearly anything with dx or ogl.
844 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 9.
Newer [  1    4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19    43  ] Older