Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ShakyJake

Real Name ShakyJake   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 9, 2003, 16:30
Total Comments 107 (Novice)
User ID 15748

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER: Realm of The Wood Elves Next Month
1. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER: Realm of The Wood Elves Next Month Nov 18, 2016, 06:17 ShakyJake

And it can be yours for the low low price of about $20! Seriously, at this point, is it even possible to get a Games Workshop related game that doesn't have overpriced DLC?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Stellaris DLC This Week; New Trailer
4. Re: Stellaris DLC This Week; New Trailer Oct 17, 2016, 17:21 ShakyJake

I'd say it's certainly more approachable to the casual gamer than any other Paradox game, save perhaps Crusader Kings 2. Stellaris so far has been the best 4x game I've played in at least a decade.  

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Arsenal Trailer
12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2016, 08:11 ShakyJake

There's a new edition of 40k coming out, but it'll be set in the year 30k. The lore describes how in the year 40k all of the vehicles and weapons used by the Imperium of Man are made by the few fabricator units still remaining online, and many other weapon/vehicle patterns are lost to history. I always thought that was kind of cool, and this is going to be a neat example of how moving the story back ten thousand years will actually net us more diverse and "futuristic" stuff. I may hate the business practices of Games Workshop, but I'm still keen to see what they come up with.  

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Free and Paid DLC
5. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Free and Paid DLC Sep 2, 2016, 05:52 ShakyJake

Older Total War games would add whole factions as Free-LC. Am I expecting too much here? Even these last two paid DLC's seem to offer not a whole lot to the game for their price point.  

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Air Combat Video
12. Re: Battlefield 1 Air Combat Video Jul 7, 2016, 02:03 ShakyJake

I've had issues with the last few Battlefield games not recognizing all my joystick's controls (throttle and rudder). I'm not holding my breath that this installment is going to break that trend, but I'd LOVE to be proven wrong.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 May 30, 2016, 05:16 ShakyJake

I know the newer Total War games get a lot of hate on here, but I'm really liking this new one. They have some new settlement mechanics that work a lot better than juggling public order/pestilence, and the battles are really fun with all the crazy units everyone has. I only hope the late-game hero spam gets addressed, but other than that I heartily recommend this.  

News Comments > DayZ DirectX 11 Improvements Shown
9. Re: DayZ DirectX 11 Improvements Shown Mar 26, 2016, 14:28 ShakyJake

jdreyer wrote on Mar 26, 2016, 13:53:
Is this game still in development? I thought they'd basically taken the money and run.

That's been my impression of it. It seems like there's been less meaningful content added in the last two years than was added in just the first few months of early access. Development has slowed down so much, I've been wondering if there's just one or two people left on the project. I hold this game up as the example of why Early Access is a terrible thing. Once had the majority of your would-be customers buy into your game and have their money, just how much incentive is there to really finish it, and not just walk away?

News Comments > Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer
4. Re: Battlefield Gothic: Armada Trailer Dec 17, 2015, 06:09 ShakyJake

Blue just got the name wrong. It's still Battlefleet.  

News Comments > DayZ Turns Two; Plans Detailed
15. Re: DayZ Turns Two; Plans Detailed Dec 16, 2015, 04:44 ShakyJake

Cutter, 2015-2013 is 2, not 3.

That said, 2 years of development has gotten us not as much as anyone had hoped. We've had tiny baby steps in Standalone over the last couple years, and in the meanwhile versions like Breaking Point on Arma 3 looks orders of magnitude better. The decision to stick with the Arma 2 engine was a terrible one, and something I'll never understand when the Arma 3 engine was already available. I remember the rumor was that Dean Hall was accustomed to the Arma 2 engine and didn't want to learn to work the Arma 3 engine, and if true (if!) that would make his decision to leave the project unethical, in my opinion.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Trailer
4. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Trailer Nov 26, 2015, 11:13 ShakyJake

I think the most recent Total War games get a lot more flak than they deserve. I've only rarely encountered any serious bugs at launch, and certainly no more than I've found in other titles. As for them playing the same, each iteration has always brought something new to the game mechanics. Napoleon adding unit replenishment was huge. Shogun's skill trees were great, and expanded upon with every game since. Regional mechanics in Rome 2 made a lot more sense than every individual province being independently wealthy or poor, and Attila's horde mechanic has been a fun way to capture the feel of roving nations. I'm betting Orcs will use this for sure.

In general, I've liked every game, and I suspect the people loudly declaring that anything that came after Medieval 2 was garbage are basing that declaration more on nostalgia than anything.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Popular
43. Re: Fallout 4 Popular Nov 11, 2015, 14:07 ShakyJake

AngelicPenguin wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 11:37:
ShakyJake wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 05:25:
This game has been a nightmare as a left-handed person. Many keys over on the right-hand side of the board are not allowable to be bound to keys, and even when you ARE able to rebind basic keys elsewhere all the menus still require the old keys. What the hell? I've spent a good part of last night and today messing around with keyboard editors that allow me to bypass the problem by changing keys over on the numpad to read as asdf, etc. Very frustrating, and I don't know how it got to release without anyone caring about us lefties.

As a leftie myself, I've long been using AutoHotkey. Fixes all these sorts of issues.

That's exactly what I ended up using. Everything else was just too confusing to setup. I'm still miffed that we HAVE to go through these lengths. One in ten people are left-handed. That's a minority, but a pretty large one. There should be a little more consideration for us with all these newer games that are causing us this problem.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Popular
23. Re: Fallout 4 Popular Nov 11, 2015, 05:25 ShakyJake

This game has been a nightmare as a left-handed person. Many keys over on the right-hand side of the board are not allowable to be bound to keys, and even when you ARE able to rebind basic keys elsewhere all the menus still require the old keys. What the hell? I've spent a good part of last night and today messing around with keyboard editors that allow me to bypass the problem by changing keys over on the numpad to read as asdf, etc. Very frustrating, and I don't know how it got to release without anyone caring about us lefties.  

News Comments > Anno 2205 Released
16. Re: Anno 2205 Released Nov 4, 2015, 16:50 ShakyJake

PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 15:43:
Also someone hurry up and find/write a resource calculator like http://anno2070.atspace.eu/ , but for 2205

Well, that's part of what's changed, Bagpuss. You don't really need those calculators anymore since the game is telling you straight up how much of something per minute it creates or consumes. Once you've put down the buildings it will also tell you what your current deficit or surplus will be with what you have. So while the game is simpler, it's really just doing in-game what we were already alt-tabbing to do by reading those charts.

News Comments > Anno 2205 Released
13. Re: Anno 2205 Released Nov 4, 2015, 08:27 ShakyJake

Green Man Gaming has a deal for 40% off of Anno 2205 right now, bringing the price down to $35. I was a bit leery considering all the negative reviews on Steam, but my initial thoughts are that it isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. It's a lot easier to see if you have sufficient production of required resources since everything is deficit-based, but then the whole point of earlier games was to micromanage your economy engine such that you were producing each resource at the same rate as you were consuming anyway. So far, the only negative thing I can really say is that it seems like the game might be too easy, but I'm only an hour into the game so I expect it to get much harder once I move into new regions. Tentative thumbs up at this point.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Nov 3, 2015, 17:46 ShakyJake

Suck a glowing review for Anno 2205! He's insisting it's the best of the series, even. But the steam reviews seem to be equally negative. Anyone pick this up yet, and have any thoughts?  

News Comments > Armored Warfare Open Beta
4. Re: Armored Warfare Open Beta Oct 9, 2015, 08:15 ShakyJake

For all that they've made a near-clone of World of Tanks, I'm actually liking it. Some of the most egregious examples of cash-shop ammunition and skill grinds seem to be missing so far, and I'm hoping it stays that way. Also, the graphics look amazing compared to WoT. I'm having a lot of fun racing through refineries blazing away with 25mm autocannons.  

News Comments > Heroes of Normandie Released
1. Re: Heroes of Normandie Released Oct 2, 2015, 05:47 ShakyJake

I'm a little disappointed that they set the price on this at $30. I bought the tabletop version of this for $45 on Amazon a while back, but was excited to have a version I could play online against friends now that we have so much less time, or those who have moved away. There's no way I'm going to be able to convince people to drop $30 on this. I was hoping that with multiple people needing to buy a copy each for multiplayer the price for online copies would be priced a lot lower, but no such luck. Guess I'll be sticking to the tabletop after all.  

News Comments > World of Warships Sets Sail
6. Re: World of Warships Sets Sail Sep 17, 2015, 18:13 ShakyJake

I was expecting this game to have more than just the USA and Japan. Where's the British Royal Navy? The Kriegsmarine? The Regia Marina?  

News Comments > Blood Bowl 2 Beta Begins
3. Re: Blood Bowl 2 Beta Begins Sep 12, 2015, 01:40 ShakyJake

There was no turnover on "both down" result? Did they change the rules or something?  

News Comments > Mount & Blade Sells 6M; Sequel Showing at Gamescom
1. Re: Mount & Blade Sells 6M; Sequel Showing at Gamescom Jul 27, 2015, 19:15 ShakyJake

I've got my fingers crossed for this one. I loved Warband but the lack of news on this sequel ever since it was announced so long ago has been worrying.  

107 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo