Total Posts
20972 (Jedi)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

20972 Comments. 1049 pages. Viewing page 14.
Newer [  1    9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24    1049  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Oct 30, 2020, 10:28
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2020, 10:28
Oct 30, 2020, 10:28

I actually think what Mate is saying is between where you two are.

No substance is 100% addictive. There are people that have done heroin without getting addicted. There needs to be something in the person that leads to the addiction, as well.

But I do not think he's saying that heroin isn't physically addictive to many people.

Re: Morning Metaverse
Oct 30, 2020, 07:31
Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2020, 07:31
Oct 30, 2020, 07:31

Jonjonz wrote on Oct 30, 2020, 07:10:
230 was a huge mistake, and a total pox on democracy.

Platforms like Foolsbook and Twatter should be liable for anything they publish, just like every other form of publication. You can still personal message you buddies what ever you wish the the moment you broadcast it via any form of publication to every one and a dog, you and your publisher should be liable.

The problem is none of the ideologs on either side of the political spectrum have a real clue on how to make social media liable without cutting into their profits which seems to be the only thing that matters to politicians of all stripes. This is what you get with Citizens United.

PS: Joe Roid-gan. This is one testosterone poisoned guy who has also had his fling with steroids, who just also happens to be a reasonably good talker. Much like another internet personality Jordan Peterson, he does have some good insights into life today, but it is all filtered through their basic philosophy of "hey, I am an alpha male, so whatever I get I deserve, if your not an alpha male, it sucks to be you."

So is that true here?
Should Blue be liable for what Quinn or Cutter post?

Oct 29, 2020, 15:14
Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 29, 2020, 15:14
Oct 29, 2020, 15:14

Joe claiming that he fact checked everything Jones said is hysterical, though.

Jones claimed there's a type of coal that's not only clean burning, but beneficial to the environment when burned. That did not get fact checked. Other things Rogan fact checked he was either incorrect about, or simply misunderstood what he was reading.

Oct 28, 2020, 13:49
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2020, 13:49
Oct 28, 2020, 13:49

Labeling removed posts with the reason is very helpful.

We're all guilty of occasionally, or sometimes more than so, doing the personal attacks.
I've tried to narrow it down by finally, after decades, utilizing the ignore list. Some arguments you just keep having, and they go nowhere. Whether it's due to bad faith, an insistence upon getting informed by bad sources, or simply not agreeing on facts, there are only so many times you can debate whether the grass is green or pink before you just disengage permanently or attack the source for constantly insisting the grass is pink, being shown a picture of green grass, disappearing, then insisting in another thread the next week that the grass is pink. So best to disengage.

Re: GeForce RTX 3070 Reviews
Oct 28, 2020, 12:51
Re: GeForce RTX 3070 Reviews Oct 28, 2020, 12:51
Oct 28, 2020, 12:51

I'd guess that very few people out there honestly remember Glaze3D, and about 90% of them post here, haha.

It's not a badge of honor, it was utter vaporware. We were all skeptical, but their claims were unique and I wanted them to be true. AMD acquired them, haha. Or ATI, back then, I forgot which.

Oct 27, 2020, 16:14
Re: GeForce RTX 3070 Reviews Oct 27, 2020, 16:14
Oct 27, 2020, 16:14

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 27, 2020, 14:51:
I guess we will know more tomorrow, and while Beamer and Redeye believe that AMD simply matching Nvidia's price/performance will be enough for them to take the crown they are not taking into account that Nvidia has been king of the hill for years. Depending on availability, I think that most people will still stick with Nvidia if that happens to be the case.

No no no, that wasn't what I was saying.
I was just commenting that you had two Ifs. One If is something you can bank on. Each additional If makes a statement kind of funnier.

If I go to the store tomorrow and If I remember to buy a lottery ticket and If the prize is over $2B and If I win and If no one else wins I'm a billionaire.
Yours only had two, but it still struck me as a kind of funny statement, is all.

My PC has an NVIDIA right now, my last PC had an NVIDIA, and my next will probably have an NVIDIA, unless your two Ifs come to play, and then it won't. I don't really prefer either vendor, I just go with whichever has the best in the price range I'm aiming.

Oct 27, 2020, 12:52
Re: GeForce RTX 3070 Reviews Oct 27, 2020, 12:52
Oct 27, 2020, 12:52

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 27, 2020, 12:02:
Beamer wrote on Oct 27, 2020, 11:57:
VaranDragon wrote on Oct 27, 2020, 11:50:
So it's 500$. Yeah, if AMD can match that performance and undercut it by say 50$ it's game over man, game over!

And if the bitboys can release glaze3d with twice the performance for half the price it's really game over, unless intel releases larrabbee with thrice the performance for a third the price!

Not sure what the reference is, but you're making it seem like it's going to be impossible for AMD to compete with Nvidia while at the same time making fun of me? On another note I just noticed that the 3070 features GDDR6 memory, and not the high speed 6x of the 3080.

I'm just laughing at the two ifs. IF they can match and IF they underprice THEN NVIDIA is in trouble.
Two "ifs" kind of make me laugh, because at the most simple case, it's one of 4 scenarios.

Oct 27, 2020, 11:57
Re: GeForce RTX 3070 Reviews Oct 27, 2020, 11:57
Oct 27, 2020, 11:57

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 27, 2020, 11:50:
So it's 500$. Yeah, if AMD can match that performance and undercut it by say 50$ it's game over man, game over!

And if the bitboys can release glaze3d with twice the performance for half the price it's really game over, unless intel releases larrabbee with thrice the performance for a third the price!

Oct 26, 2020, 15:44
Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 26, 2020, 15:44
Oct 26, 2020, 15:44

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Oct 26, 2020, 15:23:
Wikipedia = whatever we can do to not upset the liberals

election unrest in the US only happens when Trump blows Quid Pro Joe out of the water, and the liberals go mad with anger again.. for reasons they don't understand.

Are you sure the snowflakes are the ones you think are the snowflakes?

Re: Evening Metaverse
Oct 23, 2020, 12:01
Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 23, 2020, 12:01
Oct 23, 2020, 12:01

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 23, 2020, 11:58:
Dash wrote on Oct 23, 2020, 09:17:
Oh. Just had a thought to add.

The streamers are paying the publishers and dev in 'exposure'. Because isn't that something some try to fob off on artists?

Totally not the same.
When people say they are going to pay an artist in exposure, they are trying to get the artists to give them something for free or at a deeply discounted price.

Streamers have already purchased the game. The publisher already has their money, and NOW they are getting free advertisement as well. That this douche thinks the STREAMER should be paying for.

I honestly think music should work this way as well. Instead of beating down any creator who dares use their music, artists should be glad for the free advertisement. Jesus, look at Dreams by Fleetwood Mac. All of the sudden they are raking in cash again from a 40 year old song because some random on a longboard used it in his video and it went viral.

That's not really how it works, though.
Would whatever 40 year old you're referring to have gone viral without the music? Probably not.

With streamers, would they have any value without the games? No, none. So I do understand why the people that made the games get frustrated at some person making significantly more by playing the game than he or she did by making it. Remove the streamer, and the game still exists and makes some money. Remove the game, and the streamer is working at Subway.

Re: Google Antitrust Suit
Oct 21, 2020, 15:28
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 21, 2020, 15:28
Oct 21, 2020, 15:28

jdreyer wrote on Oct 21, 2020, 15:27:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 20, 2020, 19:42:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 20, 2020, 16:17:
Right and Amazon is the best at what they do. Bell Labs was once upon a time as well.
And Bell Labs' parent company was forced to break up... which in the long run was a good thing. It forced telecommunications competition which completely changed the long distance calling business -- mostly for the better.

The cost of calling overseas dropped from $3 per minute down to 10 cents. That's terrible! (For the telecoms).

Red?
You've gone to the dark side?

Re: GabeN Applying for New Zealand Visa
Oct 21, 2020, 09:59
Re: GabeN Applying for New Zealand Visa Oct 21, 2020, 09:59
Oct 21, 2020, 09:59

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 21, 2020, 09:53:
From what I've been told by my (very few) New Zealand online friends, apparently it is a very nice place to live.

One of the best. Which is why they make immigrating there so difficult. If you don't fit a need you can't come in. They have the economy to support their amount of residents, but they're not really growing rapidly. They're stable and happy.

Which is why it was a big deal when Peter Thiel paid his way to citizenship there. It made people angry. GabeN would probably do the same.

Which contrasts with the US approach to immigration, as well. We are a growth economy. In order to grow, we need the best and brightest. This whole H1B thing angers me to no end because it encourages the best and brightest to contribute to, or start, corporations in their home country, instead of in the US, meaning the growth happens there, not here.

Re: Evening Metaverse
Oct 21, 2020, 09:22
Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 21, 2020, 09:22
Oct 21, 2020, 09:22

Total-Khaos wrote on Oct 20, 2020, 20:59:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 20, 2020, 20:50:
That's the only way Amazon can make a profit.
Well that, and the fact that their 8TB drives are really only 7.45tb after formatting.
They're nothing but a bunch of cheats.

Yup. Never buy anything advertised as OEM from Amazon either. I can't count the number of times I've bought OEM advertised goods on Amazon only to be shipped the cheaper non-OEM product. These are for products that say fulfilled and shipped by Amazon as well. If you don't notice, you're getting completely ripped off. Someone really needs to start investigating their business practices as a whole.

Fulfilled and shipped doesn't mean anything. It needs to be sold by. And even then, due to comingled inventory, it is no guarantee, but it's the closest.
Fulfilled and shipped just means the shady guy running a business out of the basement of his parents' house in Staten Island is paying Amazon to do all the logistics.

Oct 21, 2020, 00:21
Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 21, 2020, 00:21
Oct 21, 2020, 00:21

zcaa0g wrote on Oct 20, 2020, 13:06:
Another brilliant move? Her using the phrase "3 chambers of government" is all it took to know she was and is a moron. It's not shocking you like her though given that fact that she's a moron.

Could be worse:

Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world — it’s true! — but when you’re a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are — nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right, who would have thought? — but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.”

Oct 20, 2020, 17:09
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 17:09
Oct 20, 2020, 17:09

Got cutoff writing that.

Amazon is absolutely the best example of why no one can compete. Amazon's biggest competitor is Walmart, but Walmart can't truly compete. FOr one thing, Walmart is bogged down by corporate politics, and by hundreds of stores with huge rents and huge salaries.

Beyond that, though, Amazon is a tech company. Amazon has AWS, which is its most profitable business. AWS funds its retail, to a large extent. This gives Amazon the capability to lower prices dramatically and ensure no one can beat them. Amazon doesn't need a profit on any single item, or really any item, in its retail business, because of AWS. Walmart, meanwhile, does. It does badly.

Even from a marketplace perspective, it's hard to compete. Some stores, retailer or marketplace, have found niches Amazon can't really fit. But otherwise? If you're going to sell something, wouldn't you want it on Amazon, first and foremost, since it has far more daily users to tap into?

Google is kind of the same. If you start a new search engine, you need to figure out how to monetize it. If you don't want to run ads, or targeted ads, you're quite limited. Google, meanwhile, has so much data about us that it's running ads everywhere. Its search business exists for its ads, so it doesn't really need to make money serving you search results, because it serves you ads around it. They can invest those ad dollars into improvements in search, that someone without those dollars cannot.

They're just so far ahead. They have the most money. They're the only place consumers want to be. And they're who partners couldn't survive without prioritizing.

Oct 20, 2020, 16:31
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 16:31
Oct 20, 2020, 16:31

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 20, 2020, 16:17:
Solemn-Philosopher wrote on Oct 20, 2020, 13:13:
While I am all for government oversight on big businesses and potential abuses, I feel like Google is more popular because it is in fact one of the best search engines. I've tried others on many occasions and they just aren't as good at giving back decent results. If anything, I would prefer they look into their Youtube management. There seems to be more problems there.

Right and Amazon is the best at what they do. Bell Labs was once upon a time as well.

Yup. At some point, it is impossible for anyone to become better, because the incumbent can simply outspend them. This is particularly true in areas where there are enormous financial barriers to entry.

Other good, arguably better, search engines exist. They can't make a dent on Google because Google can outspend them, in every category, by thousands to 1. No amount of scrappiness can overcome that.

Oct 20, 2020, 16:17
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 16:17
Oct 20, 2020, 16:17

The big concern here is China.

What is worse for the American people? Having Google, Facebook, et al, be as big and obnoxious as they are, or having them be split up, and a Chinese competitor fill the void by not being split, therefore having all the economic power of the old entities and being able to squash the new entities?

Oct 20, 2020, 16:16
Re: Google Antitrust Suit Oct 20, 2020, 16:16
Oct 20, 2020, 16:16

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Oct 20, 2020, 15:02:
I would like to see zero agenda in Google and FB. It's not good for anyone, regardless of political affiliation nor social stances.

I find that, usually, people claiming there's an agenda confuse having an agenda with adhering to the TOS.

Oct 20, 2020, 15:14
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 20, 2020, 15:14
Oct 20, 2020, 15:14

PhysicalEd wrote on Oct 20, 2020, 13:42:
Blue, if you want to see a great show about older people, check out "The Kominsky Method" https://www.netflix.com/title/80201680 yeah, it's Chuck Lorrey but really it's totally sympathetic to its characters, and Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin are brilliant. Especially IMO Alan Arkin who has always been a favorite of mine. Sadly he is not returning for Season 3. But hey, he's 86, he deserves some time off!

Agreed. Chuck Lorre creates largely unwatchable TV, but this show is great.
Didn't know Arkin wasn't coming back. The show will take a hit, but it also felt like he filmed 90% of his Season 2 scenes in a single day, all alone, possibly in a car. He was always on the phone, rarely with other actors.

Oct 19, 2020, 16:33
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2020, 16:33
Oct 19, 2020, 16:33

Kxmode wrote on Oct 19, 2020, 13:50:
The number of people convinced COVID-19 is a scam/lie/hoax/alien conspiracy is sobering and frightening. History is rife with people with crazy ideas, but never has there been a point in human history where they've had a microphone as big as the Internet to spread their noise on something as big as a pandemic. All I can say is misinformation is a weapon of mass destruction. One can only hope those of sound mind outnumber the insane.

You've repeatedly said that you don't care about politics, because politics are the kingdom of man and you live in the kingdom of God (no need to correct, I'm paraphrasing your scripture from memory and know it's off.)

But the COVID-19 scam/lie/conspiracy is a political problem.

Perhaps you're more impacted by politics than you've repeatedly claimed?
20972 Comments. 1049 pages. Viewing page 14.
Newer [  1    9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24    1049  ] Older