User information for .

Real Name
.
Nickname
Beamer
Email
Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage
None given.
Signed On
January 9, 2003
Supporter
-
Total Posts
20977 (Jedi)
User ID
15739
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:
 
20977 Comments. 1049 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    1049  ] Older
34.
 
Re: Epic Files EU Antitrust Complaint Against Apple
Feb 18, 2021, 12:18
34.
Re: Epic Files EU Antitrust Complaint Against Apple Feb 18, 2021, 12:18
Feb 18, 2021, 12:18
 
Nullity wrote on Feb 18, 2021, 10:57:
Beamer wrote on Feb 18, 2021, 10:03:
What would you prefer Epic do to get customers? What levers would you have them pull?
Provide a superior product/experience. To be fair, Steam has been around much longer, so "superior" might be a bit unfair at this point. How about just "competent" and not a minimum viable product? However, "experience" isn't confined to just the launcher/website features/interaction, they can provide incentives for customer acquisition. For example, they already have the "buy a game, get a coupon for $10 on the next purchase" dealie (though I think it's only available during sales?). I'm not going to do Epic's job for them to come up with this stuff, I believe you get the idea. They should concentrate on providing a product/service that is attractive to users. Buying their way into a market by brute-force with exclusives may be a viable business strategy, but it's shady and turns a lot of people off.

Beamer wrote on Feb 18, 2021, 10:03:
And ask yourself, honestly, if you'd switch from the ecosystem you've been using for 17 years, with all your games, all your contacts, etc., with the options you're suggesting.
I have no particular loyalty to a specific store/ecosystem, and I have no issues purchasing games from and using most of them. I suspect that most others who don't agree with these practices feel the same. If Epic would actually compete by putting in even the slightest effort instead of behaving like a spoiled rich kid who needs to throw their money around to get everything everyone else has right now, I would have no issue giving them my money.

Even if EGS hit parity with Steam, you think you'd go there? You already have Steam installed on your computer. You already have a large library of games on it. You have friends, you have screenshots, you have achievements, you have cards that got crafted or whatever stuff they've done in sales. You have all your time spent in games. Everything in one place.

Getting someone to switch from that is near impossible. Parity alone does not do it. Not to mention, Steam has had 17 years to build its features, along with billions upon billions of revenue to reinvest.

You complain about a "spoiled rich kid," but can't give a single real reason why anyone would go to them instead of Steam if they simply had parity, and you also seem to misunderstand how hard it is to get to parity. I'm not asking you to do they're job, I'm asking you to give a suggestion for how they beat Steam if they are selling the same exact products at the same exact prices (remember, retailers don't control the pricing on these storefronts) with Steam having a 17 year head start.
12.
 
Re: Into the Black
Feb 18, 2021, 10:07
12.
Re: Into the Black Feb 18, 2021, 10:07
Feb 18, 2021, 10:07
 
Overmann wrote on Feb 18, 2021, 10:02:
Personal attack with no basis.

Man, I've never seen such a quality, succinct description of Rush's show before.
Kudos!

Also, how ironic that a guy with a Robin Hood icon is lauding a man largely for being rich.
32.
 
Re: Epic Files EU Antitrust Complaint Against Apple
Feb 18, 2021, 10:03
32.
Re: Epic Files EU Antitrust Complaint Against Apple Feb 18, 2021, 10:03
Feb 18, 2021, 10:03
 
Nullity wrote on Feb 18, 2021, 09:45:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 18, 2021, 01:59:
You can buy a "game" from any retailer, just like you can buy a "car" from any dealership. You can buy "L4D2" from Steam only, just like you can buy a "Corvette" from Chevy only. And you can get "Chivalry 2" by Tripwire from EGS, just like you can get a "Stealth" by Mitsubishi from Chrysler/Dodge. You can't get "Chivalry 2" from Steam just like you can't get a "Corvette" from a Ford dealership.
You keep comparing 3rd party exclusivity to 1st party exclusivity. They're not the same thing and it's a bad analogy.

jdreyer wrote on Feb 18, 2021, 03:08:
This is a common practice across many retail industries. It's called "differentiation" and lets retailers offer something unique that can draw customers. It's such a long standing and important practice that it's enshrined in the US Constitution in Article I Section 8 Clause 8. That defines copyrights and patents, and lets the holder of said rights determine whether their goods and works can be sold by a single retailer or many. It's the opposite of "anti-competition." It's pro-competition.
Ok? No one is claiming what EGS is doing illegal or "anti-competition". They (and by extension the publishers) are, however, being anti-consumer/customer and it's a shitty thing to do, especially considering the sorry state of the EGS.

It seems that most who are against this are in favor of competition, but disagree with EGS's methods. Calling what they're doing as "competition" is a bit of a stretch.

What would you prefer Epic do to get customers? What levers would you have them pull?
And ask yourself, honestly, if you'd switch from the ecosystem you've been using for 17 years, with all your games, all your contacts, etc., with the options you're suggesting.
30.
 
Re: Epic Files EU Antitrust Complaint Against Apple
Feb 18, 2021, 09:44
30.
Re: Epic Files EU Antitrust Complaint Against Apple Feb 18, 2021, 09:44
Feb 18, 2021, 09:44
 
jdreyer wrote on Feb 18, 2021, 03:08:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 17, 2021, 18:45:
Beamer wrote on Feb 17, 2021, 16:59:
I can buy certain LEGO sets only at Walmart.
In fact, there's an enormous amount of products by brands sold widely that are exclusive to Walmart. Or Target.

True. But Legos, like cars, are NOT exclusive to one retailer. You can find variations of Legos and Corollas. Video games are different. There's only ONE version of that product. There is no alternative. On PC, if exclusively sold on EGS, then a consumer can legally obtain the game only from a specific storefront. Since we're using your Legos analogy, it would be like Walmart exclusively selling ALL Legos. You couldn't buy Legos from Target or Amazon.
You're comparing apples and oranges here. Let's fix that:
> Legos are a brick set producer, just like Tripwire is a game publisher.
> There are many brick producers, just like there are many game publishers.
> Lego sells most of its sets at multiple different retailers, just like Tripwire sells most of its games at a multiple different retailers.
> Some Lego sets are exclusive to specific retailers like Walmart, just like some Tripwire games are exclusive to specific retailers like EGS.
> Lego set Windmill (4000029) is sold exclusively by Walmart and nowhere else, Tripwire's Chivalry 2 for PC is sold exclusively by EGS and nowhere else.

This is a common practice across many retail industries. It's called "differentiation" and lets retailers offer something unique that can draw customers. It's such a long standing and important practice that it's enshrined in the US Constitution in Article I Section 8 Clause 8. That defines copyrights and patents, and lets the holder of said rights determine whether their goods and works can be sold by a single retailer or many. It's the opposite of "anti-competition." It's pro-competition.

Yup.
And, frankly, I am 100% certain there are some games we would not have if Epic hadn't funded them. No, I can't say which ones. And I am also 100% certain they're the minority of exclusives. But they exist.

I've worked on products that were exclusive to retailers. They often fell into one of 5 categories:
1) The retailer paid us to make something for them. In these cases, the product existed solely because the retailer asked for an exclusive. Had they not asked, we wouldn't have made that product
2) The product didn't receive enough orders from other retailers, so we just made it exclusive to the one that ordered more. Steer into where demand is
3) The product didn't do well anywhere, so it was taken off of shelves. However, one retailer did this later than others, and while there wasn't enough demand for it in 100 retailers, consolidating it into one made it a best seller at that retailer. Instead of going end-of-life, we continue selling it at that retailer exclusively.
4) The retailer funded some of the development, so they had rights to it.
5) The retailer just liked it a lot and paid us more for it than we felt we'd lose from elsewhere, including lots of their own media behind it. This was the rarest, because the math didn't work out well unless it was a weak product, in which case why would they want to go all-in on a weak product?

Obviously Epic is playing in groups 4 and 5. There's a reason why developers are gravitating towards these deals, though. And given that neither Epic nor Steam controls pricing, there's no real anti-competitiveness to the consumer. Steam and EGS don't compete on pricing.
9.
 
Re: Into the Black
Feb 18, 2021, 09:36
9.
Re: Into the Black Feb 18, 2021, 09:36
Feb 18, 2021, 09:36
 
Overmann wrote on Feb 18, 2021, 08:25:
Beamer wrote on Feb 18, 2021, 07:36:
If there's a God, people like him never get peace. They just get the Hell they got so wealthy trying to turn America into.

Rush did his best to inform this nation, and he did a great job. He had struggles in his life but he overcame them. I somehow doubt you believe in God, which makes me wonder why you'd choose to attack Rush on the bases that he wouldn't be with God. Also, Rush was a conservative. e.g. someone that wants to conserve our nation based on the founding principles. Becoming wealthy (or at least well off) should be an aspiration for everyone. The fact that Rush achieved this is good on him.

He didn't inform the nation. He tried to profit off of outrage, hate, and lies.
He was often wrong, and never corrected himself. He took the least favorable view of his opponents, and typically exaggerated what they stood for, or took it out of context.

He essentially profited off of dividing our country, and is one of the biggest reason why we are where we are today. Truth and honesty didn't matter to him. Instead, he knew anger and outrage is what would keep viewers tuned in.

Keep in mind, he famously mocked AIDS casualties as they died. He mocked lots off people as they died, or became ill.

Being well off isn't a virtue. My HHI will break the 7 figure mark in 2021. I'm well off. Does that make me a good person? Saddam Hussein was immensely wealthy. So is Kim Jong Un. So was Bernie Maddoff. So was Michael Epstein. How you get wealthy matters more than how much wealth you have.
5.
 
Re: Into the Black
Feb 18, 2021, 07:36
5.
Re: Into the Black Feb 18, 2021, 07:36
Feb 18, 2021, 07:36
 
Overmann wrote on Feb 18, 2021, 07:13:
Rest in peace Rush, I'll miss you. Truly a legend.

If there's a God, people like him never get peace. They just get the Hell they got so wealthy trying to turn America into.
22.
 
Re: Epic Files EU Antitrust Complaint Against Apple
Feb 17, 2021, 16:59
22.
Re: Epic Files EU Antitrust Complaint Against Apple Feb 17, 2021, 16:59
Feb 17, 2021, 16:59
 
Cutter wrote on Feb 17, 2021, 16:49:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 17, 2021, 14:01:
Cutter wrote on Feb 17, 2021, 12:40:
And how do we file an antitrust complaint against Epic for their store exclusives?

Because Epic isn't doing anything illegal. They're using a perfectly legal and time-honored competitive advantage called "differentiation." Complaining about Epic selling third party exclusives is like complaining that you can't buy a Dodge Stealth (a rebadged Mitsubishi 3000GT) from Ford or Chevy.

Apple on the other hand, has 75% of the app market in the US. That's a defacto monopoly.

Nooooo. That's a false equivalency. It's akin to saying you have to go to one specific dealer to buy said car and no other Dodge dealer is permitted to sell it. That's anti-competitive in a nutshell. All the other dealers would be going apeshit. I managed to get such a good deal on my Kia Niro precisely because I emailed bombed 20 dealers across the province all in one mass email so they all knew they were competing. Six agreed to my terms and the rest didn't. That's a free market/how capitalism should work, dude.

I can buy certain LEGO sets only at Walmart.
In fact, there's an enormous amount of products by brands sold widely that are exclusive to Walmart. Or Target.
16.
 
Re: Stadia to Add 100+ Games in 2021
Feb 16, 2021, 19:52
16.
Re: Stadia to Add 100+ Games in 2021 Feb 16, 2021, 19:52
Feb 16, 2021, 19:52
 
MyRealName wrote on Feb 16, 2021, 19:20:
It'll be tragically un-funny when so many of you eventually line up to surrender gamers' interests with Stadia. You know, the way you did with Steam and eventually every other DRM shitpile out there.

I'm sorry that this is so painful for you. I hope you get through these difficult times
24.
 
Re: Rainbow Six Quarantine Now Rainbow Six Parasite?
Feb 16, 2021, 13:06
24.
Re: Rainbow Six Quarantine Now Rainbow Six Parasite? Feb 16, 2021, 13:06
Feb 16, 2021, 13:06
 
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 16, 2021, 12:39:
@Beamer

Dude, we still haven't got "a single bit of evidence" about how a bath cures, prevents and repairs the damage caused by the coronavirus.

He provided anecdotal evidence, which is bad evidence, but I can understand how a confused or politically manipulated person could decide that there are no tigers in their yard so therefore their yard repels tigers.

I can't comprehend thinking that a virus is a parasite. Colloquially, at least - viruses are technically parasites, but that's not how people discuss them, and given how he's acting, I don't think he means technically, I think he's implying we have tapeworms that give COVID, or somesuch.
22.
 
Re: Rainbow Six Quarantine Now Rainbow Six Parasite?
Feb 16, 2021, 12:29
22.
Re: Rainbow Six Quarantine Now Rainbow Six Parasite? Feb 16, 2021, 12:29
Feb 16, 2021, 12:29
 
J wrote on Feb 16, 2021, 11:46:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 16, 2021, 11:34:
Beamer wrote on Feb 16, 2021, 09:12:
Does this guy not realize he's ridiculous?
That he has absolutely no evidence, nor any qualifications, and is spewing opinions based in ignorance and emotions?

We joke about certain posters being off the meds, but for possibly the first time, I'm a bit concerned about someone's wellbeing.
Nah, they're just a pathetic edgelord doing it to offend / cause controversy. No-one can actually believe that a warm bath is the cure or that the entire scientific community is conspiring to call COVID-19 a virus when it's actually a parasite.

They just need to be called out on it. And not because it will change their behaviour but because it will allow others to realise their agenda.

People who have tried it and have had Covid-19 symptoms have felt better. But you're not interested in actually trialling it. It's easier for you to scapegoat me.

Have fun throwing your verbal junk at me. That's all it is.

People that have eaten chocolate cake likely also feel better.

Please, J, give us a single bit of evidence for it being a parasite. Just one.
4.
 
Re: Evening Metaverse
Feb 16, 2021, 11:47
4.
Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2021, 11:47
Feb 16, 2021, 11:47
 
Xero wrote on Feb 16, 2021, 09:55:
I think it would of been neat if Roku made the top of it's unit a wireless charging pad with the remote being wireless rechargeable that you can just place it on top of the unit and it will charge. What do I know though, that would only be brilliant.

The biggest issue there is that it needs to be on top of the unit to charge. You rarely realize it needs to be charged ahead of time - one day you'd just try to watch TV and the remote would be dead. So you'd need to put the remote on top of the device for ~30 minutes before you could comfortably watch something.

With wired charging, you can just plug it in with a long cord, or to a portable charger, and still use it while it's charging, meaning you don't have to wait to watch TV.

15.
 
Re: Rainbow Six Quarantine Now Rainbow Six Parasite?
Feb 16, 2021, 09:12
15.
Re: Rainbow Six Quarantine Now Rainbow Six Parasite? Feb 16, 2021, 09:12
Feb 16, 2021, 09:12
 
Does this guy not realize he's ridiculous?
That he has absolutely no evidence, nor any qualifications, and is spewing opinions based in ignorance and emotions?

We joke about certain posters being off the meds, but for possibly the first time, I'm a bit concerned about someone's wellbeing.
10.
 
Re: Morning Metaverse
Feb 15, 2021, 20:29
10.
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 15, 2021, 20:29
Feb 15, 2021, 20:29
 
Grast wrote on Feb 15, 2021, 20:14:
Cutter wrote on Feb 15, 2021, 18:41:
Bodolza wrote on Feb 15, 2021, 15:15:
Parler may be trash, but I do have a problem with name registrars being selective about who they do business with. The internet is a utility these days, and name registries should be apolitical.

So any hate group or bunch of traitors should be able to use it even if their aim is to eliminate democracy - which would ensure the internet was weaponized solely for their benefit?

That is rich. Some soy boy who never served his county talking about traitors. I do believe if you actually bother to listen. The so called Traitors were asking for an investigation and NOT elimination of Democracy. But hey keep living in your moms basement calling people traitors!

"Soy boy?"

What do you think using that term says about you?

Meanwhile, you don't just break into Congress, steal things, and chant about executing a wide variety of politicians because you want an "investigation" into something conclusively investigated.

Anyone that says otherwise is a seditious traitor. Full stop.
7.
 
Re: DOOM 2 Cardboard
Feb 15, 2021, 11:17
7.
Re: DOOM 2 Cardboard Feb 15, 2021, 11:17
Feb 15, 2021, 11:17
8.
 
Re: etc.
Feb 12, 2021, 22:17
8.
Re: etc. Feb 12, 2021, 22:17
Feb 12, 2021, 22:17
 
WaltC wrote on Feb 12, 2021, 14:58:
About "Ban Tran" (whom I have never heard of even in the 80's)...the Internet today--especially Wikipedia--is known for rewriting history in a number of ways on a wide-ranging diversity of topics--it's really very sad. I no longer consult Wikipedia because of it. So many clueless people injecting brain-dead politics into solid historical accounts in order to ruin accurate, proven historical accounts with baseless political nonsense.

I think we all empathize with being tired of braindead people injecting their politics into the places we enjoy reading...
63.
 
Re: Morning Metaverse
Feb 12, 2021, 11:23
63.
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 12, 2021, 11:23
Feb 12, 2021, 11:23
 
Weirdly, every other major industrial nation has managed to figure out providing healthcare for its citizens.

I guess some people just think we're a dumber nation than Canada or France. Personally, I believe America is a great nation, but I understand others think we're a bottom of the barrel incompetent one. Shame.
49.
 
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune
Feb 11, 2021, 22:13
49.
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 22:13
Feb 11, 2021, 22:13
 
sliv wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 18:30:
the overabundant use of "strawman"; almost like it's Life's Word of the Year.

sliv wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 19:39:

Have you actually ever heard someone say that or are you projecting?
That's not a projection, that's a strawman. No wonder you're complaining about it's use, you don't know what it means.

A projection is when you perceive others to be doing what you do. An example is Trump accusing others of lying. He's projecting his behavior upon them.

A strawman is an argument no one actually made, taken from "tilting at straw."

What you meant to ask is if it was a strawman. Which is hugely ironic.
27.
 
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune
Feb 11, 2021, 18:10
27.
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 18:10
Feb 11, 2021, 18:10
 
I swear, more conservatives call hate, ignorance, and racism "conservative values" than liberals do. We see it here. "We don't know who she voted for, but Hollywood doesn't allow conservatives."

No, we don't know who she voted for. But we do know she doesn't believe in masks (which is ignorance), that she mocked transexuals (which is hate), and that she downplayed the Holocaust (which is racism.)

We don't know her views on taxation, or which powers the Federal government should have and which belong to states, or on trade agreements. But knowing she feared science, feared people unlike her, and enjoyed making herself a victim was all it took for one of the conservatives here to defend her as a conservative. That's what the GOP now stands for, even in the eyes of its own members.
11.
 
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune
Feb 11, 2021, 14:32
11.
Re: Bye bye Cara Dune Feb 11, 2021, 14:32
Feb 11, 2021, 14:32
 
Cutter wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 14:20:
Bodolza wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 13:40:
You've got it backwards. Gina is comparing herself to the Jews. She's saying that the criticism she's been receiving for her pro-Trump political views is like how the Nazi's treated the Jews. Basically comparing the Democrats to Nazis, and claiming that it's the Dems in the government that have "made" American's turn agaist her for her political views. The "history is edited" is a nice holocaust denier dog whistle thown in for good measure.

Is she pro-Trump? I didn't see anything in that article or her post that said so. And history is always written by the victors to spin things their way. That's a reality and does nothing to deny the Holocaust. You're the one inferring and putting words in her mouth here. Just because people don't vote Democrat doesn't make them goosestepping Nazis. So she was fired for not marching on lockstep with the uber-lefties and you don't see a problem with that. Typical left-wing extremist reaction.

I like that Cutter defends a far right woman who got fired for comparing Democrats to Nazis by getting angry at a strawman he thinks says anyone not voting Democrat is a Nazi.

She literally called Democrats Nazis, and he's angry at his perception of Democrats calling people Nazis.

You can't write this. No one would believe it.
10.
 
Re: Morning Metaverse
Feb 11, 2021, 14:30
10.
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2021, 14:30
Feb 11, 2021, 14:30
 
Bodolza wrote on Feb 11, 2021, 14:16:

I could at least understand this for white Baby Boomers. They grew up in the 50's and 60's when Unions were strong, and one working parent could support the family.

There was a great article recently about how The Simpsons is no longer possible. They were a one-income family, with a blue collar union dad, a 4 bedroom house, 2 cars, vacations, etc. They were clearly paycheck to paycheck, moreso in some episodes than others, but very squarely middle class.

Where in America can you raise 3 kids on 1 middle class income and have that home, those cars, etc.?
20977 Comments. 1049 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    1049  ] Older