Descending
Limit Results:

80 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Grand Theft Auto IV Patch
Mar 23, 2009, 01:17
Re: Grand Theft Auto IV Patch Mar 23, 2009, 01:17
Mar 23, 2009, 01:17

The main performance issue people seem to be complaining about is the high CPU-requirement needed to run the game smoothly, seemingly regardless of the graphics card it's paired with. My 512mb 4850 is getting on a bit but it's still a solid card. Unfortunately, my X2 5600+ is sitting on its legs at the moment when I fire up GTAIV.

I'm also waiting on some post-patch reports - hopefully I'll be eating my words shortly.

Re: ARMA 2 Movie
Mar 7, 2009, 13:30
Re: ARMA 2 Movie Mar 7, 2009, 13:30
Mar 7, 2009, 13:30

I think you're mistaken...I haven't played ArmA but the original OFP and Resistance certainly had an iron sights mode alongside firing from the hip.

Re: ...
Oct 15, 2008, 14:57
Re: ... Oct 15, 2008, 14:57
Oct 15, 2008, 14:57

Amen. I'd been an Nvidia user since the late 90's and just didn't like ATI's products for whatever reason (probably marketing, tbh). However, the 4850 was just too good a deal to ignore and so far I've been happy with my purchase.

Re: Oblivion Lost
Sep 30, 2008, 18:32
Re: Oblivion Lost Sep 30, 2008, 18:32
Sep 30, 2008, 18:32

I caved and picked up Clear Sky the other day and so far I've been pretty disappointed. It's not a bad game, really; I just preferred the Zone in a more advanced state of "decay". The atmosphere from the first game just isn't there in Clear Sky. I've been to 6 areas so far and none of them has had that feeling of isolation or dread because most of those empty buildings and factories from SoC are now full of furniture and have people living in them. In fact, most of the time the weather is nice and sunny and you'll completely forget that you're supposed to be on edge.

Of course, this makes sense for what the game is supposed to represent, which is the period of time before the Zone has really spread. Fair enough, I can deal with that. BUT -- I hope now that it's out of their system the next game will emphasize the creepier parts of STALKER.

Re: Good
Sep 22, 2008, 22:07
Re: Good Sep 22, 2008, 22:07
Sep 22, 2008, 22:07

Having just finished Black Plague and being thoroughly impressed (though the ending didn't do it for me), I hope these guys can only improve the experience. The atmosphere was great despite the mediocre graphics, but they really do need to upgrade their engine to support higher-resolution textures and more modern effects (i.e. parallax mapping).

Re: At Least They Are Trying
Sep 11, 2008, 15:44
Re: At Least They Are Trying Sep 11, 2008, 15:44
Sep 11, 2008, 15:44

It's also shooting yourself in the foot to release early because a buggy and/or obviously unbalanced experience is likely to be mentioned in most reviews but not amended with future patches. I've been really excited about Clear Sky but I'll let it simmer for a few months to allow time for more bug fixes and gameplay-improving mods.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 15:47.

No subject
Sep 3, 2008, 16:55
No subject Sep 3, 2008, 16:55
Sep 3, 2008, 16:55

I'm really excited, but also really nervous that this will end up just like the first - a medicore experience until the mods and patches start materializing. This will also be the first new game I'll be able to play with a significantly upgraded system, so I'm especially anxious to try it out!

Re: Best Mod EVER!
Aug 31, 2008, 20:07
Re: Best Mod EVER! Aug 31, 2008, 20:07
Aug 31, 2008, 20:07

The difference is the PR devs are motivated by love of the subject matter as opposed to how many units they're going to sell. But who knows, maybe as time and technology progress more realistic games will regain some popularity (I had SO MANY HOPES for the Ghost Recon series after the original game and expansions...).

Re: No subject
Jul 15, 2008, 17:47
Re: No subject Jul 15, 2008, 17:47
Jul 15, 2008, 17:47

We've barely seen any in-game footage, so how can you make these assumptions? The Doom 3 engine did have its limits, but the game was supposed to feel claustrophobic and take place primarily indoors, so there was no need to have a wide-open world. It also would've been very difficult to achieve the same level of visuals and performance if the scale increased. However, Quake 4, Prey and to a larger extent, Enemy Territory, feature some more open areas, so I'm sure their latest engine won't be limited in the same way. Besides, it seems like driving around will be a fairly large part of the game, so restricting us to short and narrow canyon paths seems unlikely...

Then again, this deal with EA wasn't exactly expected...

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 17:48.

No subject
Jun 16, 2008, 20:56
No subject Jun 16, 2008, 20:56
Jun 16, 2008, 20:56

I can relate to a lot of the complaints about the game, particularly after the first play-through. Personally, I would never recommend that anyone try S.T.A.L.K.E.R unmodded. The game in its natural state just doesn't feel right at all, particularly with regards to the weapons.

I'm currently well into a second game using about a dozen mods (most minor) and the experience has been much more enjoyable. The A.I. can still seem utterly oblivious to sniper fire at times, but in mid-close range you'll notice much more intelligent behaviour. Apparently there's even a mod out to unlock some unused AI features, such as grenade-throwing -- might help prevent stand-offs where they send one guy around the corner at a time.

I love the game world, though, and I think that's why some of us can keep playing despite the flaws. Many of the environments were crafted with so much detail that they genuinely seem like real places (and some of them are, of course). I've caught myself feeling truly isolated several times when exploring some areas, particularly those underground.

No subject
Mar 27, 2008, 12:39
No subject Mar 27, 2008, 12:39
Mar 27, 2008, 12:39

The English voice-acting/writing was painful in the first one. They did a fantastic job of creating some truly creepy environments but the gunfights over long distances were just tedious, the combat AI was poor and none of the weapons really felt satisfying to shoot (except maybe the shotty). I was also expecting a much greater variety of weird creatures in the more remote areas. My fingers are crossed for the next one.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 12:40.

No subject
Mar 17, 2008, 17:10
No subject Mar 17, 2008, 17:10
Mar 17, 2008, 17:10

I've also fallen away from PR over the past months, mostly because our wireless router is balls and trips up when more than three computers are connected (resulting in disconnects) but also because it's impossible communicating with your team using a mic because everyone is always talking over each other. A shouting match is not how I enjoy my gaming, thanks. Didn't matter what squad I was in (including fuzzhead's, to those in "the know"), either. It's a shame because the mod is great, otherwise!

Feb 27, 2008, 22:11
Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 22:11
Feb 27, 2008, 22:11

Yeah, I was referring to the comments in the article by Gareth Wilson and Nigel Kershaw in which they say:

GW:
"But we all simulate - underlying Gotham is a proper physics engine. We spent all our time trying to unmake it for the game."

NK:

Exactly the same with MotorStorm - we've got a pretty realistic handling model, but we detune it to get it to do what we want it to do.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 22:12.

No subject
Feb 27, 2008, 19:56
No subject Feb 27, 2008, 19:56
Feb 27, 2008, 19:56

I've been into driving games since the early 90's and made the transition to racing simulations around 2000, when I bought my first wheel with some Christmas money. Since then I haven't looked back and simply can't imagine not owning a wheel and spending at least a few hours a week in one sim or another. It's true, you DO need a lot of practice to learn to drive well in a simulator because you need to learn the same kinds of skills a real driver would need to know. You also need to coordinate your eyes, arms, fingers and feet in response to the visual, auditory and force-feedback generated cues that tell you what the virtual car is doing.

It's tricky, but when it all starts to come together it's incredibly satisfying. Not only are you applying the same types of driving techniques as proper racers, but if you're a fan of motorsports then you're able to appreciate it all that much more.

Finally, the "driving" skills you learn are only half of the challenge. Racing around a track without slamming into your opponents and being able to react to changing conditions is also really tough and can take awhile to learn.

However, obviously this isn't what everyone wants and I completely respect that - not everyone wishes their dad had been loaded and able to fund a budding racing career for them as a child ;P. What I don't understand is why simmers are apparently getting shafted because the developers can't be bothered to include a "non-simplified" version of their game for those of us that want it. If anything, including a simulation mode just expands the customer base that bit more.

And to those that wonder why we need realism: Well, why not? The idea of a game developer making something easier for us when we've already proven we can make do without is kind of insulting - it's like auto-aim in an FPS. We crave the challenge!

No subject
Jan 15, 2008, 12:37
No subject Jan 15, 2008, 12:37
Jan 15, 2008, 12:37

Anyone else remember the original DeathTrack from 19 years ago?

Re: Still the BEST!
Jan 1, 2008, 18:44
Re: Still the BEST! Jan 1, 2008, 18:44
Jan 1, 2008, 18:44

I have to agree completely. I've played my fair share of multiplayer games since the mid-90's and PR is easily one of the best multiplayer experiences around when it comes to recreating large-scale modern combat. Obviously, not every round you play is going to kick ass, mostly because the manual is quite extensive and not everyone reads it, but if you've got a mic hooked up and you've managed to join a squad with some of the core players then the good times will roll.

Jul 19, 2007, 14:08
Re: No subject Jul 19, 2007, 14:08
Jul 19, 2007, 14:08

I'm not familiar with PoE, but I'll say PR is a very good mod. It brings BF2 much closer to something like OFP, where sticking together generally increases your chances of survival. The different classes of soldiers also leaves plenty of options/combinations for approaching an objective.

Unfortunately, there's a huge influx of "new players" that can't bother to RTFM, so quite often I'll join a squad and the leader won't bother setting Respawn Points or objectives, so everyone does their own thing and is forced to respawn quite aways back from the action.

I'd be a squadleader myself, but since I can't use VOIP and people seldom seem to read the squad chat (which seems to suffer from quite a delay) then it's not easy to be an effective leader.

Still, once things settle down again then the real fun begins!
This comment was edited on Jul 19, 14:20.

Jun 28, 2006, 21:47
Re: No subject Jun 28, 2006, 21:47
Jun 28, 2006, 21:47

I don't see how this can be any fun, though. The only thing that makes diving enjoyable, actually BEING there, just can't be recreated in a video game. It's similar to having a 'walking around on the moon' simulator. They include several scenarios that sound like they might be interesting, but the idea just seems shortsighted.

Re: re
Jun 28, 2006, 12:14
Re: re Jun 28, 2006, 12:14
Jun 28, 2006, 12:14

No kidding. I read that there was an expected 12-15 hours of gameplay. Not phenomenal, but considerably more than 6 hours.

Jun 27, 2005, 15:14
Re: No subject Jun 27, 2005, 15:14
Jun 27, 2005, 15:14

Yep, I really didn't like the urban missions either. Used to force myself through them just to get back into the bush :P.

I was hoping for more jungle/woods action, but I should know better than to expect Ubisoft to cater to their, y'know, original fans.

80 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older