Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 27302 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ] Older >

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY IX PC Plans
9. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX PC Plans Dec 31, 2015, 20:22 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Dec 31, 2015, 17:22:
Creston wrote on Dec 31, 2015, 15:16:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2015, 12:52:
Is this just another attempt at milking the back catalog, or is this a good game? After playing 7 on PC (which I really liked at the time) I watched a friend play 8 on console and was much less impressed. And Square seems to be doing this for a lot of their old FF games. I'm probably getting too old for JPRGs anyway.

I always found 9 to be just okay. I played through it twice, I believe, and there are some very fun moments in it, but overall the story is kinda "eh", and the characters aren't as great. It also went from pretty awesome looking graphics in FF8 (for its time), to a more cutesy, cartoonish looking style, and I don't think that was really well received in general.

However, it's still a FF game, so if you like FF, you'll like 9 as well.

I'm kind of surprised they're skipping 8 for now. Maybe they're also doing a massive remake of that, scheduled to be re-released after 7? I would be over a PC version of FF8 in a heartbeat, as I've always really enjoyed that one.

FF8 is already on PC.

Yeah, I was more thinking of an HD re-release, which they are pretending this to be, though if I watch the video it doesn't really appear like much of one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 31, 2015, 15:34 Creston

EricFate wrote on Dec 31, 2015, 13:54:
I 'optimized' them by dropping them for another carrier last month.

I'm pretty sure that optimized your phone experience quite nicely.

I'd like to see someone optimize that dillweed CEO of theirs.

News Comments > Steam Christmas Issues Explained
21. Re: Steam comms Dec 31, 2015, 15:31 Creston

Doombringer wrote on Dec 31, 2015, 10:43:
all the good press is because they butter us up with sales. Their support blows.

Yep, and their sales keep getting worse and worse (not their fault, I fully realize that publishers are pushing to keep their games priced higher for longer), so I do expect that wave of goodwill to start evaporating at some point.

Like harlock said, we've been getting fed bullshit for so long now that it's become the status quo.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 31, 2015, 15:17 Creston

"began" to die. It's really still a long way from dying completely. Sadly.  

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY IX PC Plans
4. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX PC Plans Dec 31, 2015, 15:16 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2015, 12:52:
Is this just another attempt at milking the back catalog, or is this a good game? After playing 7 on PC (which I really liked at the time) I watched a friend play 8 on console and was much less impressed. And Square seems to be doing this for a lot of their old FF games. I'm probably getting too old for JPRGs anyway.

I always found 9 to be just okay. I played through it twice, I believe, and there are some very fun moments in it, but overall the story is kinda "eh", and the characters aren't as great. It also went from pretty awesome looking graphics in FF8 (for its time), to a more cutesy, cartoonish looking style, and I don't think that was really well received in general.

However, it's still a FF game, so if you like FF, you'll like 9 as well.

I'm kind of surprised they're skipping 8 for now. Maybe they're also doing a massive remake of that, scheduled to be re-released after 7? I would be over a PC version of FF8 in a heartbeat, as I've always really enjoyed that one.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Dec 30, 2015, 10:29 Creston

Honestly, while I like the ultra-grim tone in the Witcher 3, I wish there was more visible of the war between Nilfgaard and the North. Not necessarily mass battles or anything, but at least skirmishes here and there, contested territory, etc.

It almost feels as if you've come into the area during a time of cease-fire.

News Comments > Descent Royalty Dispute
2. Re: Descent Royalty Dispute Dec 30, 2015, 10:27 Creston

Interplay screwing people over? Why, I never...!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. TigerDirect has new owner Dec 29, 2015, 16:50 Creston

Soon won't have any customers.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Game Reviews Dec 29, 2015, 12:13 Creston

Quboid wrote on Dec 29, 2015, 11:53:
InBlack wrote on Dec 29, 2015, 06:53:
I was actually thinking of buying this game, since everyone and their mother apparently loves it

I don't like it that much, it is very repetitive. Blowing shit up is very cool but that's pretty much all you'll be doing. I haven't checked, but my mother would probably hate it.

To be fair, that's all you were doing in JC2 as well, but in JC3 the explosions and your toys are so much more fun.

Btw, I figured out that while the game needs you to be online the first time you start it after your PC reboots, you can then exit, go into Steam offline mode, and start the game again, and it won't ever nag you for anything. So while irritating to have to go through those steps, it's possible to avoid the entirety of the terrible online implementation.

Having a lot of fun with it. The wingsuit is a fantastic addition to the game, makes traveling just awesome. I also infiltrated (read: Parachuted in and shot everything that moved) a massive military base yesterday, and stole a Eurofighter typhoon look-alike, and used that to just terrorize everything. It's hilarious how awful the SAM installations in this game are.

Finally: Rocket booster explosives should be outlawed. Plant one on a tourist's ass and watch him fly. Teehee!

One minor bad point: There are way too few rocket barrels, compared to JC2. Not enough opportunities for me to shoot one and tether some poor schmuck to them and watch him fly.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
35. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 28, 2015, 13:50 Creston

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 28, 2015, 12:10:
On the second point, I wasn't referring so much to the idea of the terminal/mainframe or thin-client/server relationship, but on the notion of there being a "computer lab" with a specific room, where there were a couple dozen terminals, whose availability you had to wait on, and which perhaps had a time limit on your usage of. The idea of the terminal and multi-user mainframe (albeit in modified form) is totally making a come back; what's not making a come back is the terminal room that you have to walk across your corporate/university campus to wait for a turn to use.

Ah, okay. Fully agreed on that point.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2015, 12:09 Creston

fourwordsalluppercase

That was funny.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 28, 2015, 11:54 Creston

Extremely fun game. Basically Just Cause 2^2. However, I will say this: It has the most retarded and terribly broken "online" component ever witnessed in gaming.

First off, when you start, it demands that you be online. Apparently they did this to fuck with people who just put the JC3.exe into their firewall block list. Then at the menu it will do an online login. This takes a minute at least. It will also undoubtedly fail.

Then, you can choose to go offline, but going offline only leaves you offline until such a time you:

1) Hit Escape.
or
2) Check your map etc.

Then it tries to go online again. For another minute. During which you literally can't do anything. Then you watch it fail again. etc etc etc. This in itself wouldn't be so bad, because eventually, after six or seven such interruptions, you MIGHT make it online. But they made the worst servers ever witnessed by man, so even if/when you're online, you will be kicked offline again in a matter of minutes. This brutally interrupts your gameplay with a massive "YOU ARE NOW OFFLINE, LOSER!" that you have to acknowledge.

And then once you hit a spot where you can be stay online for 20 minutes, you can be annoyed by a running scroller of very noticeable messages that say that random user DICKSAUCEBITCHUS beat your score in tree snorkeling SEVENTEEN DAYS AGO, and user IHATETHE(randomethnicgroup) beat your grenade gobbling score twelve days ago etc etc. This list will scroll for roughly ten minutes, because it apparently checks against everyone in the world, and yes, I'm sure that C@pt@inB@byKill@D@wg has beaten me in something. I DON'T GIVE A FLYING FUCK.

Seriously, FUCK the piece of shit dev/publisher that came up with this horseshit.

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 2015, 12:04.

30. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 28, 2015, 09:11 Creston

NetHead wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 22:38:
Regardless of how it reads or is written, I'd like to see someone come up with a better explanation for lowered and sluggish PC sales.

There are far more alternatives. See my post just below.

Why do PCs get upgraded? To use software adequately, software that has easily met requirements, is his premise. Since this is apparently such a ridiculous thesis please feel free to state your own in it's place.

Very few corporate users upgrade PCs because their current one can't run something. There is the occasional exception, of course, typically an engineer who needs CAD, a geo-scientist who uses Petra, or more often: The user who runs massive Excel spreadsheets with 15 trillion formulas. But they are the exception in the large corporation.

The reason a corporation upgrades its PCs is partially because they get old and their performance goes to shit, but mostly because the three year full-coverage warranty is the most price-effective point for them, and they buy new ones so they can amortize them again. It's simply about money.

I've been under the impression PCs are upgraded and purchased based on requirements (usually with cost being a factor). If those requirements haven't increased why would there be upgrades. A 5 year old PC is more than able to run desktop applications with the most worthwhile upgrade being a SSD (which he mentions).

Except a five year old PC typically runs like crap, and the effect on productivity is noticeable. (Not to mention the drain on support infrastructure such an old device would be.)

It's really simple. Lots of laptops, the use tablets and phones as alternatives to laptops, and the use of VDI/TS as alternatives to desktops. That's why PC sales are on a downward trend.

29. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 28, 2015, 09:03 Creston

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 22:26:
SNIP

but for the rest of the world that doesn't hang out on BluesNews, the desktop is rapidly becoming yesterday's terminal room.

I agree that laptops are just as good as desktops now for most standard office type work, but desktops are substantially cheaper than laptops (for corporations anyway), and thus get rolled out to all the non-important people.

And yesterday's terminal room? Half my company is on thin clients/terminal server/VDI connections, and those are the things you get asked about nowadays if you want to work in the field of client tech.

Anyway, the original argument made in the link is still stupid. PCs aren't failing because there are no apps to make use of them properly, they are failing because there are far, far more alternatives than there were 15 years ago. And none of these alternatives by themselves are large enough to kill the PC, but add them all together and you're talking about a decent chunk of market.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 -GTA:V Dec 28, 2015, 08:48 Creston

ZeroPike1 wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 15:57:
The Achievements earned for this game show some surprising numbers in my view. 83% played the first Single player mission which is required. 77% earned the first achievement of playing GTA Online (which happens soon as you make a char and start it at all). And the Single player story missions are not being played alot. People are buying this game for Multi-player mainly and single second, I think.

That probably makes sense, since most people would have played the sp part when it came out on the PS3 and 360. I think the PC players who bought it again probably largely got it for the online part.

ZeroPike1 wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 20:09:
Since every ones Steam has to check in with Valve every so often. You can only stay in offline so long before it wants or tries checking in,

I don't think that's the case anymore? It used to be this way, where after a few weeks it would force you to go back online, but Valve (finally, after like eight years) explained that was a bug and not how it was supposed to work.

Now that they moved all the games over to the new authentication system, I think you can stay offline indefinitely. (With the caveat of course that you can't start a game for the first time if you're offline.)

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Next Month
16. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Next Month Dec 27, 2015, 20:09 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 18:31:
Creston wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 13:49:
So MS paid for a 2 month exclusivity? I'm sure that sold a ton of extra consoles...

Well, yeah, the secret fan service mode that includes alternate dress styles for Lara will. These include little black dress, bikini, miniskirt schoolgirl, sexy maid, and evening lingerie. Also, at the end of the game, there's a mode where you get to the hotel and help Lara shower all the grime off and shave. Let's just say you've got a bit to shave off after being out in the bush for so long. Lots of quicktime events there.

... *Teleports to game store, buys Tomb Raider for Xbone*

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Next Month
3. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Next Month Dec 27, 2015, 13:49 Creston

So MS paid for a 2 month exclusivity? I'm sure that sold a ton of extra consoles...

News Comments > Steam Issues Fixed
14. Re: Steam Issues Fixed Dec 26, 2015, 16:26 Creston

Just read about this elsewhere. Seemed like a really freaking scary bug. I hope they're right when they say that no unauthorized actions were taken/allowed.

News Comments > The Witcher III Graphics Mod
13. Re: The Witcher III Graphics Mod Dec 26, 2015, 11:26 Creston

Even at 1080p this video is extremely grainy for me. Not sure if that's the video or if my internet connection is just choking.

In any case, it looks very nice, but not so mindblowingly awesome that I'd trade in what appears to be a pretty big performance hit for it.

News Comments > On Sale
17. Re: On Sale Dec 26, 2015, 11:25 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 17:40:
How does it compare to the DLC for Dishonored? I thought those DLCs was great and well worth $10 a piece.

I can't answer that, unfortunately, as I never played the DLC for Dishonored. The Citadel is, imo, better than Lair of the Shadowbroker, and should be seen as the actual ending for the Shepard story. And if you take it as such, it is fantastic.

27302 Comments. 1366 pages. Viewing page 49.
< Newer [ 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo