Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 27300 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: JC3 second thoughts Jan 3, 2016, 22:52 Creston

christheshitter wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 19:09:
Avalanched used their satellite studio in New York for Just Cause 3. Themselves developed Mad Max instead which is a far better game despite the same repetitive formula.

Well, that would explain that then...

Maybe they'll do something fun with their DLC. I sure fucking hope so, anyway. I'll play JC3 for 20-30 minutes or so, and then I'm bored already. And all the shenanigans that I'd normally get up to, I can't in JC3 because they're all LOCKED BEHIND A FUCKING UPGRADE.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: JC3 second thoughts Jan 3, 2016, 22:49 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 22:33:
Yeah, scrounging for junk and micromanaging settlements just isn't fun at all so I'm done with that aspect of the game. Depending on what happens with mods and DLC down the line whenever I next do a playthorugh again I'll be ignoring the Minutemen entirely. I just want to build a stylin' penthouse to launch operations from...and maybe eventually find my kid.

Who? Oh right, that kid... :p

I also don't like the way they've portrayed the BoS in this game. They come off as total nazis looking to 'cleanse zee vasteland, jah?'

Yeah, but they at least explained that pretty well, why Maxwell is this way and their refurbished mission etc. They see the Institute as the major threat to their east coast dominance, so they're here to put a stop to it.

Haven't met the Railroad or Institute yet, but I get the feeling they'll probably suck too.

I wouldn't say suck, but there really is no shiny, happy, We're The Good Guys(tm) faction in FO4 (other than the Minutemen, but they're boring), which I think is pretty awesome. It keeps you from just auto-siding with the Good Guys. Each faction brings their own benefits and problems for the Commonwealth, so it did made me think about what my character would do based on how I'd played him or her.

Bethsoft really just needs to stick to physical world building and leave the actual questing to other devs like Obsidian ala New Vegas.

I think that's a bit unfair, as FO4 has by far the best writing of any game Bethesda's ever made. They've definitely gotten a lot better in it, and there are some really cool and fun quests in it too.

Btw, my character seems to be perma-stuck with +5 STR, -3 PER, +3 END, -1 CHA, -5 INT (wtf??) and +1 AGI. Anyone have any idea? I'm guessing the game still thinks I'm in drugged mode or something, but no doctors can cure me, and I've taken every single possible anti-addiction drug to no avail. Even player.setav strength xx doesn't fix it.

Kind of annoying that I put all these points into INT, and I get no XP for it... :\

Fixed with player.modav. I modded the values back to what they were supposed to be according to the perk chart, and now they're just showing normal, no (-) and (+) in front of all of them. My guess is that when a drug ends, the pip boy numbers don't properly update, even if the effects go away properly.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2016, 00:07.

18. Re: JC3 second thoughts Jan 3, 2016, 22:43 Creston

harlock wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 18:00:
Creston wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 15:27:
Again, WHY, Avalanche?

lazy design. its a replacement for not adding anything new to the equation

the first game series that did this was Zelda.. remember the SNES zelda? it was awesome... then the next one, instead of starting out with all those cool moves and abilities, you had to go around unlocking them one by one.. it was a step backwards but it set the trend for this kind of bullshit

the thing about character progression is great - thats awesome, but not when you go backwards and remove stuff and just prolong the growth arc... thats fucking lame, but of course its way easier for the developers

Yeah. Sad but true.

16. Re: JC3 second thoughts Jan 3, 2016, 22:37 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 17:14:
Here's another example: Statues. In JC2, you could wreck a statue, grab its head, tether it to a chopper, then use it as a flying wrecking ball. In JC3? The statue disintegrates into dust 9 out of 10 times. Also, you can no longer just grab a jeep, tether it to the statue and wrench it off it's stand. You HAVE to use explosives to destroy it. It's all gotten so much worse...

That's inaccurate. You can definitely use tethers to destroy statues. I do it all the time.

Maybe once they're upgraded to the max or something. I just put 4 tethers on a statue and tried to pull it apart. De Nada. I tethered the statue to an APC and tried to pull it down. All that happens is that my APC (admittedly hilariously) launches itself into the air like a big yo-yo. The statue remains, as ever.

15. Re: JC3 second thoughts Jan 3, 2016, 22:35 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 17:42:
Fallout 4, people just fucking show up on my doorstep (didn't even invite them) and just move in and ask ME what they can do to help.... You want to live here? FIGURE IT OUT.. are you hungry? THEN GO MAKE FOOD HAPPEN. You want a bed? There are piles of leaves everywhere, make one! Oh no, super mutants are bothering you that are ALL THE FUCKING WAY ACROSS THE MAP while you sit here in Sanct with my 40 missle and laser rifle turrets defending you? Oh no yet another fucktard at Abernathy Farm was kidnapped AGAIN?!?
I'm starting to miss the slavers from New Vegas.

Yeah, so true. In my 2nd playthrough, I'm just looting all the settlements for resources, and I do fuck all else. I have one monster base in the drive-in, and that's it. No other settlements get anything. No recruitment towers, no beds, nothing. Most of them remain empty, but the few that already come with settlers, whatever. Oh, are you under attack? FUCKING DEAL WITH IT.

The weird thing is, the game seems to 'get' that I just don't care, as it's not been bothering me with it as much as it did in my first playthrough where I put up like 80 defense in every settlement I had, yet if I didn't go to personally help defeat those 3 raiders, everything and everyone would be wiped out.

What a terrible system...

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 3, 2016, 22:32 Creston

Quboid wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 16:26:
Quinn wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 15:55:
Creston, the grapple delay is because you remapped it and he now first presses his detonator before he grapples. You can change this in the ini. Google it.

I didn't know that this was a bug either, thanks. Here's a guide.

Yeah, never heard of that, but it makes sense because he does appear to be hitting his detonator... Thanks Quinn, Quboid!

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2016, 22:50.

2. JC3 second thoughts Jan 3, 2016, 15:27 Creston

It's taken me awhile to figure out why I haven't been enjoying it as much as I did JC2. Part of that is undoubtedly that JC2 was fresh, and this is More Of The Same, but there's other things too.

I think I may have finally put my finger on it.

JC3 is too much of the exact same thing. In JC2, there were far, FAR more unique areas. The entire capital city, for example. It sprawled several islands worth in size. In JC3, the capital city is a slightly larger town than the ones you find everywhere else. It's laughably small.

Every town in JC3 is exactly the same. Just random copy pasta, a sprinkle of things to blow up in it, and voila. Another "area" done. While there was copy pasta in JC2, it seemed far less, and JC2 offered far more unique stuff. The shanty town, the wooden town built on stilts, the raft town, etc. In addition, JC2 had very different areas. The desert, the swamp, the snow-laden mountains (including a skiing resort that featured in no missions whatsoever, and was just put there as ambience. It was one of my favorite areas, because you could drive a car up the slope and then ski down on the car, which was epic.) The land in JC3 is exactly the same everywhere.

JC3 simply lacks fun stuff to see, and fun stuff to do. While the map is the same size (200km^2), I'm pretty sure there is a lot more water on this map, but even if there isn't, there is a LOT more empty land on this one. Essentially the entire northern half of the largest island is pure empty space. Just boring grassland texture and some rocks. The entire MAP is boring grassland texture and rocks. There is no variety.

The gunplay in JC3 is much improved. The wingsuit is fantastic. The driving is improved (for cars anyway. The dev who came up with the motorcycle handling should be forced to drive around in game on motorcycles for the rest of fucking eternity.) The explosions are much better.

But the game just lacks fun shit to do. There is no airport. There is no aforementioned skiing resort. They went horrifically overboard with challenges (and tying in upgrades with challenges is a decision that deserves to get their lead designer shot.) There are far, FAR fewer of the gas bottles that rocket into the sky, which were the bomb in JC2 just as a means to launch yourself into the air, or to tie enemy soldiers to and watch them fly away. Why are there fewer gas bottles, avalanche? Why isn't the game fucking LITTERED with them??

And while they've given you more toys with the grapple, there is now a 3 second delay (for whatever unfathomable reason) to grapple things together, so whatever funny thing you're trying to set up with enemy soldiers typically fails because by the time you've finally gotten all the buttons clicked, he'll have disengaged the grapple already.

They even changed the default "Grapple enemy soldier" action from "yank him down from the top of the building" to "winch into him and drop kick him." This may seem like it would be a lot of fun, but like other things, the very first iteration of this is pathetic. It takes TWO upgrades before you're finally kicking people all over the place. WHY? Why do I need to do 170000000000000000000 fucking challenges before I can unlock the shit that allows me to have fun??

C4 explosives have an upgrade that turns them into rockets. When I saw the little upgrade movie, I cackled with glee, imaging the shenanigans I could get up to with those. Then I finally got the upgrade, and... Well, they don't work. Put 4 of them on a single soldier, and he'll get launched maybe 2 feet. Put 4 of them on a deer, and rather than Rocket Deer, you have a deer that tips over. Their combined thrust has roughly 1 Newton of force.

Turns out you need the SECOND upgrade (900000000000000000000000000000000000000000 challenges away) for the rockets to become good and provide enough thrust to start launching things.

Again, WHY, Avalanche? This whole game has become so fucking serious, as if you guys were desperately trying to make it realistic. Why fuck with your formula so badly? The despot in JC3 actually tries to be serious. What happened with the lunatic madman despot? Pandak Panae was ten times the enemy that this dour-sounding dipshit in JC3 is. Why is there no more fun? Why is blowing shit up the only thing to do anymore?

Here's another example: Statues. In JC2, you could wreck a statue, grab its head, tether it to a chopper, then use it as a flying wrecking ball. In JC3? The statue disintegrates into dust 9 out of 10 times. Also, you can no longer just grab a jeep, tether it to the statue and wrench it off it's stand. You HAVE to use explosives to destroy it. It's all gotten so much worse...

All in all, JC3 was fun for the first 15 or so hours I played it. Then I realized every single village was exactly the same, the entire map is EXACTLY the same, every single military base was essentially exactly the same, and all the cool stuff that I thought of doing requires upgrades that are 7000 aggravating hours of trying to get enough stars in challenges away.

I'm not even sure I'll finish the story. Very disappointed.

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2016, 15:32.

News Comments > Garry's Mod Sells 10M
1. Re: Garry's Mod Sells 10M Jan 3, 2016, 15:08 Creston

Wow... That's incredible.  

News Comments > PC Killer Instinct a Windows 10 Exclusive
4. Re: PC Killer Instinct a Windows 10 Exclusive Jan 3, 2016, 15:03 Creston

Good. Maybe MS can open a fucking browser window on my PC every time it starts, telling me to buy this damn game.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
42. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2016, 10:05 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 18:46:
Yeah well what if you don't live in a city? What if you live somewhere with little or no public transit or cabs? I live somewhere were transit is rare and taking a cab would be prohibitively expensive. Seems to me that the government should have to provide alternatives. Otherwise what's everyone supposed to do?

Choose to not drive while intoxicated? Designate a driver. Call a friend. Make plans beforehand to figure out how you can have a drink and still get home. Crash at a buddy's place. Sleep in the backseat of your car. Get a motel. Sleep under the stars.

It really doesn't seem that difficult. The idea that "Well, driving home drunk is the only option I have" is just absurd.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2016, 10:00 Creston

Nucas wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 11:44:
he fell asleep in the backseat of his car (one of the staff recalls depositing him there) but apparently climbed into the drivers seat and turned the car on so he could turn on the air conditioning and went back to sleep.

That's a problem with the law itself, not with the punishments. As long as the car isn't moving, you should never be able to get a DUI, as the entire definition of driving shouldn't even apply.

DUIs are very easy to get. in the area i live i have personally read about DUIs issued on jetskis, bicycles, and skateboards. zero tolerance policies are dumb.

I'm not advocating a zero tolerance policy. I'm advocating a policy where IF you choose to drive drunk AND you get in a wreck, you need to have the book thrown at you. Because despite every single sob story ever heard from every DUI offender ever, it's your CHOICE to drive drunk rather than get a cab. Especially in today's age, when you can just get an uber to take you home, you're a massively selfish piece of shit if you're hammered and still choose to drive.

(And yes, I realize that that then becomes a "We don't do anything unless it kills people" law, but at least it'd be something.)

i think first offenders should be reduced to a work-only license for a year.

But who's going to check that? You can always come up with some story to pretend that you're on your way to work. No cop in the US is going to bother to check your story that you're on your way to/from your late shift at 2am.

i've seen a lot of idiots get DUIs in this area and none of them ever thought "man i'm SOOOO trashed, lol fucket im drivin".

Yeah, I don't agree. Because that's basically what every single one of them is thinking. Again, people CHOOSE to drive drunk. There is no weird side-effect of alcohol that somehow compels you to drive. (I think, anyway. )

i just think people should have a chance to learn from their mistakes and continue earning money and paying taxes.

Just sucks for the mom of three children that they kill, who can't continue to earn money and pay taxes.

for property damage or loss of life, we have additional charges for that.

That don't get levied that much. If you go and kill someone, you go to jail for 30+ years to life. If you DUI and kill someone, you're back on the street in 3-5 with good behavior. Why is there a difference? You CHOOSE to drive drunk.

(Not you as in you personally, btw. )

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2016, 09:40 Creston

Qbex . wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 22:31:
And I conclude that days of me buying lots of cheap so-so indie games are over (imho Cliffski's games are right there in so-so category), now if you want to earn my dollar you have to put up something special. Chances of me buying random 10$ game is zero where in times when they been priced for 5$ I would buy couple just to check them out.

Yup, very true (for me at least.) I'll happily take a chance on a game at 5 bucks. If it sucks, oh well. :-shrug-:

At 10 bucks I'm far more likely to go "Hmmm..."

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 2, 2016, 13:24 Creston

Clearly the answer is for MS to get even MORE fucking annoying about Win10. Maybe refuse to fucking let me log in without upgrading, Nutella? Or just send the gestapo by my house and force me to upgrade that way?

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2016, 13:21 Creston

I don't think they're over, but it's pretty easy to see that it takes a LOT longer for games to reach super cheap levels than it used to. Whether that's due to refunds or the "shady grey market sellers" (Whatever), I don't really know.

Eh, I'll just wait an extra year to play some stuff. :-shrug-:

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2016, 10:28 Creston

Nucas wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 10:18:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 1, 2016, 12:20:
A dickhead drunk driver totaled my brother's SUV and another brand new car while parked right before midnight, last night, before crashing about a hundred meters down the road.

I'm sure he'll get his wrist slapped real hard though.

i hear this expressed a lot and i wonder if people know what really happens. one of my management staff got a DUI this summer. all told he ended up owing over 10,000 dollars and lost his license for one year; can't even drive to work. he can apply for a conditional work license in 6 months, and may qualify for it after the 10th month.

Without knowing what state you live in, I'm going to guess this was not the guy's first offense. It seems unlikely they revoke your license for a year your first DUI offense, but this may vary from state to state.

And I'm sorry, thousands of people DIE due to drunk (or high, whatever) drivers, and it seems that in the large majority of cases, it's never the fucking shitwallet who chooses to drive drunk who dies. It's always the innocent person with the three children in the back seat who buys it.

DUI should be treated as fucking attempted murder if you get into a wreck. It is ridiculous how lax we are against it considering the amount of fatalities it causes each and every single year.

If you can't have the fucking willpower to NOT drive after you've had too much to drink, your "contribution to society" can easily be done without.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2016, 14:35 Creston

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 1, 2016, 12:20:
A dickhead drunk driver totaled my brother's SUV and another brand new car while parked right before midnight, last night, before crashing about a hundred meters down the road.

I'm sure he'll get his wrist slapped real hard though.

Also really bummed out about Trapper.

Sorry to hear that, dude.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2016, 14:34 Creston

Reposted, but happy new year, fellas!  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2016, 10:26 Creston

Happy New Year, fellas! (and gals, if there are any!)  

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY IX PC Plans
9. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX PC Plans Dec 31, 2015, 20:22 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Dec 31, 2015, 17:22:
Creston wrote on Dec 31, 2015, 15:16:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2015, 12:52:
Is this just another attempt at milking the back catalog, or is this a good game? After playing 7 on PC (which I really liked at the time) I watched a friend play 8 on console and was much less impressed. And Square seems to be doing this for a lot of their old FF games. I'm probably getting too old for JPRGs anyway.

I always found 9 to be just okay. I played through it twice, I believe, and there are some very fun moments in it, but overall the story is kinda "eh", and the characters aren't as great. It also went from pretty awesome looking graphics in FF8 (for its time), to a more cutesy, cartoonish looking style, and I don't think that was really well received in general.

However, it's still a FF game, so if you like FF, you'll like 9 as well.

I'm kind of surprised they're skipping 8 for now. Maybe they're also doing a massive remake of that, scheduled to be re-released after 7? I would be over a PC version of FF8 in a heartbeat, as I've always really enjoyed that one.

FF8 is already on PC.

Yeah, I was more thinking of an HD re-release, which they are pretending this to be, though if I watch the video it doesn't really appear like much of one.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 31, 2015, 15:34 Creston

EricFate wrote on Dec 31, 2015, 13:54:
I 'optimized' them by dropping them for another carrier last month.

I'm pretty sure that optimized your phone experience quite nicely.

I'd like to see someone optimize that dillweed CEO of theirs.

27300 Comments. 1365 pages. Viewing page 48.
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo