Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 27479 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

News Comments > Shadwen Demo; Playing Lowers Game's Price
9. Re: Shadwen Demo; Playing Lowers Game's Price Feb 25, 2016, 16:24 Creston

It looks pretty fun, and I really like Frozenbyte, so I'll buy.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 25, 2016, 16:21 Creston

Cops can now use spyware.

NOTHING can go wrong there. After all, there was no collateral damage caused by StuxNet.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
46. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 16:18 Creston

Verno wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 13:17:
Some of you need to learn how opinions can be nuanced and not just OMG AMAZING or IT SUX.

You must be new to the internet!

45. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 16:15 Creston

So, your lock screen, your search bar. We should do a pool on what's next. I say soon they'll divide up half your desktop, and give you half your desktop for usable space and half for ads.

News Comments > Alan Wake Returns TMed
18. Re: Alan Wake Returns TMed Feb 25, 2016, 16:13 Creston

nin wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 14:10:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 12:12:
Better name: Alan Wake Up

They should have all sorts of Windows integration and call it Alan 10.

Alan TenBone

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2016, 20:52 Creston

Wow, five whole years for that fucking scumbag? Shine a laser at a cop helicopter, and you get put away for 13.

News Comments > The Division 60 FPS PC Trailer
4. Re: The Division 60 FPS PC Trailer Feb 24, 2016, 20:51 Creston

Very, very pretty. Not gonna lie. It looks great.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Feb 24, 2016, 15:24 Creston

PHJF wrote on Feb 24, 2016, 13:52:
Just do what they do with Gina Carano. She didn't have many lines in Haywire,

Which may genuinely be the worst movie of all time. So let's not do that.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Feb 24, 2016, 13:19 Creston

SlimRam wrote on Feb 24, 2016, 10:59:
  • Rousey Keen To Star In A "Metroid" Film

• Yup, I can totally see this. The hook in Metroid was that, of course, at the end you discovered it was a woman all along that was in the suit. Most people just assumed it was a man.

When I see Ronda I too was fooled into believing that she was something other than what my eyes were telling me; a man.

The problem is that she literally can't act. Not even a smidge. When I heard they were talking about redoing Road House, with her in the lead, I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

Don't get me wrong, she's gorgeous, I like watching her fights, but she just can't act. Stop trying to shoehorn her into movies, Hollywood.

News Comments > On XCOM 2 Framerate Issues
    34. Re: On XCOM 2 Framerate Issues Feb 24, 2016, 11:59 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 03:07:
    Jerykk wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 01:18:

Shooting through walls happened in the previous game too. "Full cover" doesn't mean you can't be hit. It just means that enemies have a greatly reduced chance to hit you.

Also, it goes both ways. You can shoot enemies through walls too.

No no. It's actually shooting through walls(no LOS) to hit someone, not full cover. I'll see if I can grab some video of it in a bit. It's kind of like this video I ran across a few days ago where the enemies are jumping through floors.

The LoS implementation is a bit wonky, yeah. I've shot aliens through walls and through floors on Overwatch.

News Comments > Street Fighter V Status Report
    1. Re: Street Fighter V Status Report Feb 24, 2016, 10:20 Creston

Our goal is to provide the best online experience for all users

This is why we released the game when it clearly wasn't ready.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 23, 2016, 14:57 Creston

jimnms wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 18:04:
    Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 14:27:
    The reality is simply that Diesel engines need to go away. There is no such thing as a "clean diesel." There is no such thing as a marginally dirty diesel. There is only filthy diesel.

So much ignorance. Rubeyes The problem isn't with diesel engines, the problem is with petroleum based diesel fuel. Not all "diesel fuel" is the same, and diesel engines can be run on a variety of different fuels. You just can't replace diesel engines. Diesel engines have the highest thermal efficiency of any type of combustion engine. Most gasoline engine are around 20% efficient. The diesel engines powering generators, large ships and trains can reach as high as 50-60% efficiency. If you replaced all diesel engines with gasoline engines, you'd create an even bigger problem.

Fair enough, but I was talking about car engines. With the current emissions standards, Diesel engines aren't going to be "clean."

You're also forgetting that these VW engines already passed the emissions tests when they were certified and weren't cheating.

No, they most specifically did NOT pass these emissions tests without cheating, that is in fact the entire point. They slid into cheat mode to pass the emissions tests, and then go on the road, turn off cheat mode, and happily spew waaaaay more crap than is allowed.

The exhaust fluid method works and doesn't impact performance or mileage, and not much of it is needed so the the exhaust fluid only needs topping off during an oil change. For some reason VW decided to go with a NOx trap instead,

It is expensive, that's why they don't go with it. It costs a lot to install, and the blue liquid is pretty pricey too.

which traps the NOx and periodically burns it off, but during this cycle the engine is less powerful and consumes more fuel. Then they decided to cheat and turn off this cycle to keep the engines from losing power and fuel economy.

? So first you say they didn't cheat, and now you say they did cheat. Btw, I think you have the entire way of the cheat mechanism turned out, but I honestly can't be bothered to go read through the hundreds of reports on this junk again, so eh.

18. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 23, 2016, 14:36 Creston

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 13:09:
    Even if Apple can write the custom firmware that the FBI wants, there's no guarantee that it will be secure. If that firmware then gets out into the wild, the potential attack vectors that could be opened up are innumerable. As others have noted, the FBI has asked Apple to open Pandora's Box and merely hope that nothing unintended happens.

IOS 9 is already immune to what the FBI is asking for.

The question isn't the legality of the court order; it's whether or not one dead terrorist's phone is worth compromising the security of the world's most popular smart phone. The terrorist in question is dead; he's not going to shoot anymore people. Is his phone worth losing the assurance, for example, that you can safely do your banking on your phone? Is his phone worth compromising the privacy of political dissidents in countries like China or Russia?

Precisely. And again, let's be honest here, there's not going to be any data on that phone worth anything anyway.

17. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 23, 2016, 14:33 Creston

Cutter wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 12:53:
    There is no supposed crime, there's an actual crime and they know who did it. This has nothing to do with the 4th Amendment at all. A warrant has already been served. There's nothing unreasonable about the authorities searching this device. No rights are being violated here. This doesn't relate to probable cause.

Again, that's not what Apple is challenging. Apple is challenging the FBI's application of the All Writs Act whereby they make Apple go through a ridiculous burden "because the government says so."

And while the All Writs Act has been used for all kinds of "do this because the government says so" shenanigans, it's really time we get the SC to decide whether that's just a carte blance for the government to do whatever the hell it wants to do. (or rather, for the government to order YOU to do whatever the hell it wants to have done.)

There are certainly cases where companies can and should react the way Apple is right now, but this is not one of them.

And this mentality is exactly, EXACTLY the reason the FBI chose THIS particular phone for its test case. The FBI doesn't care what's on the phone. They know just as well as you and I that the odds of there being anything useful on there are essentially zero. They do it because they know the average Joe Schmoe in the public will side with them in a public battle because of the nature of the crime, and all they care about is precedent.

If you use something in commission of a crime that's felony, plain and simple. It's been on the books for centuries. This is nothing new in law.

What? So if I use a phone for nefarious purposes, the manufacturer of the phone committed a felony? Again, Apple isn't refusing the FBI any access to the phone or access to any of its records. It's just saying that the government can't just compel it to essentially create an entirely new firmware just because the government says so.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Mod Support in April; Survival Mode Beta Soon
    8. Re: Fallout 4 Mod Support in April; Survival Mode Beta Soon Feb 23, 2016, 14:25 Creston

Red wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 13:45:
    Creston wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 11:56:
    Weíre doing things like you canít save, it only saves your game when you sleep. You canít fast travel. Thereíre all of these diseases. Weíre trying it all. Itís a different experience. Weíre not trying to make it a ton harder. Itís harder because youíre doing more things. We want the combat to feel different, as opposed to just being a bullet sponge.

Not gonna lie, that sounds pretty sweet. On the flipside, not being able to save anywhere in a Bethesda game, that can crash at any time... Gonna take some getting used to...

It just needs two kinds of saves. Auto saves that still happen every few minutes or when entering a new load zone or whatever. And if the game crashes, you can load from one of these. But if you die, you can't load one of those; you have to load from a "sleep save."

That would be a good solution, yes.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2016, 12:01 Creston

I don't have any personal experience with the yellow tint stuff, but several people I've worked with / talked to said it didn't really seem to do much for them.

A better thing to do, imo, is to limit the brightness on your monitor, and to not have way too bright objects as your desktop background. I can immediately tell if I have a super bright desktop picture up, as my eyes start getting tired after like 10-15 minutes.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Mod Support in April; Survival Mode Beta Soon
    3. Re: Fallout 4 Mod Support in April; Survival Mode Beta Soon Feb 23, 2016, 11:56 Creston

Weíre doing things like you canít save, it only saves your game when you sleep. You canít fast travel. Thereíre all of these diseases. Weíre trying it all. Itís a different experience. Weíre not trying to make it a ton harder. Itís harder because youíre doing more things. We want the combat to feel different, as opposed to just being a bullet sponge.

Not gonna lie, that sounds pretty sweet. On the flipside, not being able to save anywhere in a Bethesda game, that can crash at any time... Gonna take some getting used to...

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2016, 14:27 Creston

killer_roach wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 13:07:
    Granted, not that it's necessarily sales opportunities. Keep in mind that FCA has hybrid/electric versions of almost their entire range, and sell almost none of them.

Other than Tesla, nobody is really selling electric vehicles, especially not right now when gas is so cheap. Companies build them because it's the only way they'll ever make it to the 2025 CAFE standard.

Wouldn't surprise me if they're being pushed in that direction both from the US and Europe, however. (Somewhat interestingly, even their worst-offending diesels would have still qualified as good under EURO 4 emissions standards a decade ago...)

Sure, but as we're learning more about NOx, we're learning more about just how terrible a polutant it is. The reality is simply that Diesel engines need to go away. There is no such thing as a "clean diesel." There is no such thing as a marginally dirty diesel. There is only filthy diesel.

In any case, it's mostly VW just trying to spruce up its image, but even so, the future will far more likely be in electric vehicles rather than Diesel. (though I doubt it'll ever get as all-encompassing as Elon Musk claims, since our power grid could never handle 100 million cars charging at night.) And the current lash against diesel will be very interesting to follow in Europe, where ~60% of all cars are Diesels, rather than the ~ 10% it's here in the US.

simply put, I don't have a lot of faith in a fully-electric car to spring to life in the middle of a Wisconsin winter.

Eh, Teslas have been tested as rigorously if not more than gas powered cars in the cold and they seem to be just fine with it. I don't think it was that long ago when you had to warm up diesel engines before you could start them in the cold, right? Eventually companies will just deliver all their models with electric power trains as well. It just takes about 10 years before they've switched everything over to a common platform so that the cost of having an E powered engine for all models becomes feasible.

In any case, I read something on Reuters that said that VW is having difficulties agreeing with the EPA and don't expect anything before the end of March, so I'm not sure what Ars is reporting here.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2016, 12:31 Creston

HoSpanky wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 11:27:
    Yes, it's expensive, but when I was wavering on the Rift, my girlfriend said "isn't this what you built that machine FOR?".

You marry that girl. YOU MARRY THAT GIRL RIGHT NOW, SPANKY!!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
    2. Why WS is making games again Feb 22, 2016, 12:28 Creston

Because he needs money?  

27479 Comments. 1374 pages. Viewing page 43.
    < Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo