Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 30937 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video
18. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 5, 2019, 13:10 Creston

Blackhawk wrote on Jan 5, 2019, 10:50:
Third person shooters push the character further and further to the side of the screen every year. By 2022 games will require a second monitor just to show you the character model.

Haha, I didn't even notice that, but yeah, it is pretty dang far to the side. I'm not sure that I mind it, though. Third person shooter where the camera is right behind you means you can never see where you're going (aka the RDR2 On Your Horse syndrome. The amount of times I crash into shit because it was literally hidden behind Arthur's lumpen frame must be reaching triple digits now) so I think this is a pretty decent trade-off.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 4, 2019, 22:36 Creston

Apple to Trump: "Thanks for the tax break, chump! We gave it all to our shareholders! Fuck our employees and fuck you too!"

News Comments > Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video
6. Re: Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video Jan 4, 2019, 22:35 Creston

It looked... okay, except that they spent all this time working on what looks to be a beautiful world, and then make it so that nobody spends time looking at said world.

They let you fly, but for a really stupidly short time before you have to land and run for a while. Who on God's green earth came up with that stupid fucking idea? Does Iron Man need to fucking land to let his goddamned suit cool down???

The abilities seem pretty cool, but the storm lightning guy seems massively OP against the other two, and while the sword suit seems to hold its own at least a little, that big fat turd suit seems to be equipped with a fucking pea shooter in comparison. And long cooldowns on abilities, so you can do WHEEE BOOM! for 3 seconds, and then you're stuck for 15 seconds with a shitty gun waiting for the cool power to recharge. Sigh

For all the claims that it ran well, I thought this video ran pretty poorly, but I can't judge if that's from shitty video encoding or that's how the game ran.

And literally every mission is apparently "Go here. Press X. Shoot 500 generic bad guy mooks. Go to another waypoint. Press X. Shoot another 500 generic bad guy mooks." all while some NPCs are fucking CONSTANTLY yapping on and on and fucking on.

I mean, I get it, it's a loot shooter, it's going to be repetitive, but it doesn't look that appealing. Maybe to the Destiny crowd it does, but from what I understand, most people who play Destiny do so because the gunplay is super slick in it, and this does NOT look like slick gunplay.

News Comments > More on the Star Control Legal Battle
8. Re: More on the Star Control Legal Battle Jan 4, 2019, 22:28 Creston

but we do have a copyright on the specific way we expressed interstellar travel in Star Control II

Yes, except that the courts have already ruled, several times that you can't really try and copyright those kinds of things. (though the latter lawsuit was later overturned in appellate court.)

You can copyright specific things, sure. The races from Star Control II, etc. But "the way we expressed interstellar travel" seems like one of those things were courts are going to go "Yeah no."

And in any case, using the DMCA to stop Stardock from selling, rather than letting your court case run its course is just a fucking scumsucking move.

Edit: Links courtesy of Kotaku who literally had an article about a similar case just yesterday.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2019, 17:51 Creston

Poor Jedi, being abandoned when he was a pup.

I'm glad he found a good home.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Jan 3, 2019, 23:51 Creston

Pepe wrote on Jan 3, 2019, 12:44:
Given that most pc's come without optical drives these days why bother ordering a code in a box if you can just as easily buy on steam, GMg or other site.

For a while, Amazon offered 20% off all new games to Prime members, except for digital downloads.

So rather than give me 20% off on a product where they email me the Steam key, they gave me 20% off on a product that they had to pay shipping for to get to me, which then contained the Steam key on a piece of paper. I'm sure it made sense to Bezos...

But now that they've stopped doing the 20% off thing, yeah, no idea why you'd buy on Amazon other than if they have a great sale (I think I got Titanfall 2 for 5 bucks on Amazon.)

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 3, 2019, 23:47 Creston

Maybe he can 3d print some rope to escape prison with.  

News Comments > Crytek Ghosts Indie Fund; Ghost Theory in Jeopardy
15. Re: Crytek Ghosts Indie Fund; Ghost Theory in Jeopardy Jan 3, 2019, 23:44 Creston

Sounds like a bunch of horseshit excuses to try to hide the fact they're taking the money and running.  

News Comments > Metacritic's Best Video Games List
6. Re: Metacritic's Best Video Games List Jan 3, 2019, 16:28 Creston

97% for RDR2 is so ridiculous. It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but 97% would make it literally one of the best games of all time, and it just isn't.

It isn't just the garbage control scheme that drags it down, but just the mission design itself. Every single mission is simply 10 minutes of cutscenes, or guys yammering at you during a horseback ride, followed by a large shootout against generic human goons who all have the same shitty AI.

Rinse repeat 104 times. (I am not kidding, there are 104 story missions in this game.)

BESTT GAME EVVERRRRR!!! Rolleyes

Suck some more publisher dick, games media.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2019, 16:17 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 2, 2019, 12:24:
I'm planning to build a new gaming rig this year. My trusty i5-2500k is getting old. Trying to decide on the CPU if I should go AMD or Intel.
I've had the 2500k overclocked but I doubt I'll be overclocking the new CPU much.

Anyone here with Ryzen CPU happy or not happy?

Go Ryzen. Fuck Intel. The 2700 is a monster CPU.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2019, 16:16 Creston

Define "popular."

More liked? No.

Rammed down more people's throats? Yes.

News Comments > ZeniMax TMs Deathloop
1. Re: ZeniMax TMs Deathloop Jan 2, 2019, 12:06 Creston

It's the new name for Fallout76.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2019, 14:21 Creston

OMG DO NOT CLICK ON THAT COOKIE CLICKER LINK UNLESS YOU DO NOT VALUE YOUR SPARE TIME OR LIFE.

It took me ages to shed that evil.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2018, 21:46 Creston

Happy New Year, fellas (and gals, if there are any.)  

News Comments > Epic Launching App Store
5. Re: Epic Launching App Store Dec 31, 2018, 13:34 Creston

Yeah this is nice and all, but how is this going to work on an iPhone? Unless it's rooted, people are not going to be able to download and run anything off your App store.

On Android you can allow unknown sources, and sideload from an alt app store, but afaik, not on Apple.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2018, 11:50 Creston

I thought RDR2 ended great, with the exception of (Spoilers duh) that it is that motherfucking MICAH who gets to kill you! I mean, what the FUCK?! Arthur would have just shot that asshole multiple times already, but you can't because of plot, and then HE gets to kill you and GLOAT about it? Fuck you, Rockstar.

Also, damn, that scene where you watch your horse die, and Arthur goes back for her, and holds her and comforts her as she lies there in terror, and whispers "Thank you" to her, god, that hit me right in the feels. I didn't particularly care about Arthur dying, it was going to happen anyway, and he was a nasty man even if you play with high honor, but that horse. Shit... That was a sad, sad moment.

News Comments > Essay Required to Unban Fallout 76 Cheaters?
33. Re: Essay Required to Unban Fallout 76 Cheaters? Dec 31, 2018, 11:46 Creston

Flatline wrote on Dec 27, 2018, 12:28:
Also... you're actually complaining that the game detects cheat programs even if they're not running and you're acting like this is some horrid thing. {Snipped super weird analogy.}

Er, What?

I have cheatengine installed on my PC, I use it to fuck around with tons of SP games because I have no desire to grind shit out anymore.

So because of that, if I play FO76, I get instantly banned as a cheater? And that seems totally legit to you?

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 31, 2018, 11:30 Creston

Rejoice, US suburbs! Now you, too, can spend $20 on a pound of deli-meat!

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
9. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 31, 2018, 11:29 Creston

El Pit wrote on Dec 31, 2018, 06:08:
Is there a statistics comparing crashes not involving but being caused by driverless cars to those caused by cars steered by apes... ehm... homo sapiens? I would really like to know because personally I can't wait to see the power over steel killer machines being taken away from idiots who are sometimes even drunk or tripping idiots. Thank you.

There are some, but you can infer small sample sizes from them. In the large majority of autonomous accidents, another driver is at fault. But at the same time, a lot of these cases have been because the autonomous vehicle (AV) just drives weird and stops for shit that no human driver would ever stop for.

So sure, it's still the fault of the guy bumping into the back of the AV, but at the same time, there is a reasonable expectation that the car in front of you isn't going to just come to a complete stop for no reason whatsoever.

It always pisses me off when Musk proclaims how safe Teslas are, and that they've driven a BILLION miles without issues whereas humans have had 48000 fatalities! Yeah. The Teslas drove in traffic jams or on nicely spaced, clearly defined highways with low to moderate traffic. How about we compare those numbers to the number of accidents human drivers have on those highways, instead of to the number of fatalities altogether? Because a huge percentage of those happen on B roads, not on nice, quiet, smooth highways.

Also, whenever a Tesla has an accident, Musk and his boys are the first to scream "YOU MUST ALWAYS BE ALERT AND READY TO TAKE OVER IN CASE IT'S REQUIRED!" but at the same time, it's only the Autopilot that's to thank for the lack of accidents? Not the human drivers who have had to intervene?

Methinks someone is trying to have his cake and eat it too.

In any case, I'll happily keep driving myself instead of trusting my life to a car manufacturer's lowest code bidder.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
8. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 31, 2018, 11:23 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 30, 2018, 20:48:
Who hyped driverless cars?

The manufacturers themselves. They were falling all over each other to crow how THEY were going to have fully autonomous cars by 2020 or 2021. Waymo was bleating about how they were going to introduce a fully autonomous taxi service by end of 2018, and though they did indeed introduce such a taxi service, it literally runs in one city, in the most easiest of neighborhoods, still has a safety driver in it, it sucks donkey balls and nobody uses it.

So yeah, it's safe to say that the hype has come crashing down spectacularly. You said a decade or more, but I'd put money on the more part.

30937 Comments. 1547 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo