Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 28522 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale
1. Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 19, 2016, 11:24 Creston

Do these ships that are on sale at least have a picture? Or is it more of the "We haven't actually designed it yet, but the scope of the ship meets our projected standards" bullshit?

(and people still bought that... Literally just a sentence that said "This ship will be made at some point.")

Ah well. Keep pouring money into it, fellas. Maybe some day at least Squadron 42 will be made.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dishonored 2 Game+ Mode Coming
5. Re: Dishonored 2 Game+ Mode Coming Nov 19, 2016, 00:45 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 18, 2016, 22:30:
Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2016, 21:38:
How about you first do a philosophy of Fix Your Three Fucking Minute Load Times To Get To The First Menu. Followed by one of Fix Your Shitty Performance.

Sounds like you've got something else going on. Doesn't take me more then 35 seconds. And that's on a 5 year old 7200 rpm 2TB seagate drive. I've had similar problems in the past with skyrim. Literal 5 minute load times, the culprit? Video drivers.

It's lasted through two different video drivers. And it's always one time slow, one time fast. One time slow, one time fast. I think they just forgot to take a "decrypt shader cache" command out of there, but the game's been out nearly two weeks now, and still no fucking patch in sight.

Ah well, I should have known better than to trust Bethesda to deliver something properly.

News Comments > Dishonored 2 Game+ Mode Coming
1. Re: Dishonored 2 Game+ Mode Coming Nov 18, 2016, 21:38 Creston

At Arkane we have this philosophy of Play Your Way,

How about you first do a philosophy of Fix Your Three Fucking Minute Load Times To Get To The First Menu. Followed by one of Fix Your Shitty Performance.

News Comments > SAG-AFTRA Picketing Insomniac Games
12. Re: SAG-AFTRA Picketing Insomniac Games Nov 18, 2016, 13:47 Creston

Steazy wrote on Nov 17, 2016, 16:16:
I wonder how SAG would react if the Film/TV specialized CGI houses went on strike for residuals? From what I hear those guys are treated like dirt, and I expect that SAG is fine with that.

This is such a weird argument. So because "So and So don't get this", you therefore don't get it either?

Great. Next time you ask for a raise, your boss will say "WalMart workers make less than you."

And then you go "oh yeah. Thanks!" and walk off?

I'm sure the SAG workers aren't thrilled with people in Film/TV CGI being treated like shit, but why is that their problem? Stick up for yourself. Don't work in an area where they treat you like shit. As long as you keep showing employers that it's fine to treat you like shit, guess what? They're gonna keep treating you like shit! (I know, right? *SHOCK* *GASP*) Let the Film/TV guys fend for themselves. That's not SAG's problem.

They are standing up for themselves against shitty employers who take advantage of them. Good for them. And if you feel they are whiny bitches who should shut up and get back to work, then I hope the next time you try to get a raise, your boss tells you to shut the eff up and go back to work.

Anyways, calling this a strike is pretty comical in my eyes because they're all still going to work (except for these picketing days, which they are paid for). Not just in TV and Film, but in video games! The "strike" is only against projects started after the previous contract expired (Oct 2016 or so, IIRC) many of which aren't even far enough along to be hiring voice actors yet. SAG members are still working on projects started before that (notice how AAA games are still releasing on time).

Yeah, they're contractually obligated to do that. They're not doing it because they really want to or whatever you imagine is going on. Rolleyes

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2016, 13:42 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Nov 18, 2016, 12:46:
I try to do the same for centipedes,

Man, eff centipedes.

(Centipedes get absolutely no mercy from me, as I have small dogs. As soon as I see the crawly little hundred-legged bastard, it dies.)

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2016, 11:17 Creston

Man, eff spiders.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2016, 15:58 Creston

BobBob wrote on Nov 17, 2016, 10:41:
Is this new administration going to suppress civil liberties?

No.

Will its ideology and staff choices be an enabler for hate groups and extremist individuals to discriminate against people with disabilities, LGBTQ, women, and minorities?

No. Or at least, "BUT THE GUBMINT DOES IT!" will not be considered a valid defense.

Will it normalize acts of bullying?

No.

Will it reverse years of climate change policy?

Yes. Sadly.

Will it cooperate with known oppressive governments?

You mean any more than we have already done? Doubtful.

Or are most of these published articles and debates a bunch of hype brought about by major news and media outlets to increase ratings?

Ding ding ding ding ding ding! For all how much the media was slobbering all over Hillary, Trump being president-elect has been a Godsend for them. They can publish the most ludicrous hysteria and it will get millions of clicks.

Here is a very well reasoned-out thought by a (purported) employee of the Bureau of Land Management, which I have blatantly copied from the Concourse.:

When I first read who won on the morning of the 9th, my initial reaction was an outsized one, much like everyone else who wanted Hillary to win. I thought for sure that the BLM would be abolished, my career crushed, all public lands would fall into the grip of private ownership, and that the denial of climate change would come to dominate environmental and economic policy for the next four years. Eventually, after a few days, that fear waned and I began to think more critically about what a Trump victory means for the environment. Trump has advocated a policy of eliminating essentially all environmental regulations in order to promote economic growth and energy independence, which has many people gravely worried. As someone who directly administers energy production on public lands, my thoughts over the last couple days have gone from extreme fear to analyzing how Trump could implement such a policy, and how effective it would be in accomplishing what he wants. As many people know, the market for oil is deeply depressed right now, and itís not due to any domestic factors, or excessive regulations. Republicans like to preach about the free marketówell, the free market is what is depressing the price of oil and making it difficult to make domestic production possible... The same line of reason can be applied to coal, which Trump has promised to make viable again. But how? Natural gas is pushing coal into irrelevance. Trump thinks removing the federal coal leasing moratorium and other restrictions will bring coal back, but leases and mines already exist in droves, and yet coal companies are going bankrupt as fast as all of Trumpís personal businesses...

Renewable energy has a real grip in the domestic energy market, and it will only increase due to increasing domestic demand. There are enough people demanding a break from fossil fuels, and none of those people are suddenly going to change their minds and want to go back to coal and oil now that Trump is in power. I oversee a couple geothermal power plants, and the BLM is very interested in expanding geothermal energy production on public lands, as well as solar and wind power. I still believe this is future, not only from a purely idealistic standpoint, but also from an economic standpoint. This is bolstered by the USAís participation in the Paris Accords, which Trump would be quite foolish to try to back out of, if he even could.

It is easy to forget that there are layers and layers and layers of regulations and laws in place that would make stripping down most regulations extremely difficult. We had a Bush administration for 8 years doing their damndest to undermine the environment, and we still turned out okay. It will be quite easy for organizations to file lawsuits against Trump policy decisions in federal appeals courts (which will actually be a better place to hear cases than whatever circus of a Supreme Court he comes up with), especially because I believe that many of his policy decisions will be heavy-handed attempts that will have no legal foundation.

The mandates for the BLM and BOEM in particular (and the Forest Service to a lesser degree) require the production of energy on public lands, and we generate a ton of money for the Treasury. So there simply is no way that wonít continue to happen. And the way the coal and oil markets are going, there is revenue to be made in renewables. I get the feeling that once Trump is informed of the economics of it all, since he loves money so much, it might have an effect of temperance.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 2016, 16:06.

25. Re: Zika Virus mosquito Nov 16, 2016, 16:50 Creston

Numinar wrote on Nov 16, 2016, 03:41:
Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 14:11:
Its days are numbered. There is a trial underway where they're going to release a bunch of genetically modified (male) mosquitoes into the wild. The only thing different about these is that they pass on a gene that makes its offspring sterile.

If proven successful, they'll release more of those, and within several generations that particular brand of mosquito will die off or at least be so diminished that its threat will mostly evaporate.

After that, they'll likely do the same for that little fucker in Africa that spreads Malaria.

That sounds awesome as long as that breed of Mosquito doesn't serve some kind of important ecological purpose we don't know about or interact in an important way with other creatures. Introducing species and diseases to control other species is a big thing here in Australia, and like that episode of Rick and Morty with the kronenburgs, the fixes usually turns out to make things worse in unforeseen ways.

"Make things worse" is extremely relative when you talk about a mosquito that literally kills half a million people each year. There are tens of thousands of species of mosquito, and only a few dozen that carry diseases. Odds are pretty good we can likely safely do without them.

Wipe the little bastards out.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Server Rental's Criticized
16. Re: Battlefield 1 Server Rental's Criticized Nov 16, 2016, 16:38 Creston

saluk wrote on Nov 16, 2016, 16:13:
Wait. What do you GET for renting a server?

The joy of knowing you showed EA you just LOVE being treated like shit.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Server Rental's Criticized
3. Re: Battlefield 1 Server Rental's Criticized Nov 16, 2016, 12:14 Creston

hoping DICE/EA would remember the success of rent-a-server in BF3 and would learn from their mistakes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Rescale Beta
1. Re: American Truck Simulator Rescale Beta Nov 16, 2016, 12:13 Creston

We are now using Lambert conformal conic projection (LCC) instead of Mercator projection

Well! I mean... who DOESN'T?! DUH!

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. WD2 Nov 15, 2016, 22:02 Creston

What baffles me is that they didn't get an AO rating if they have full nudity in the game?

(not that I agree with that, or feel the game deserves it, but that's typically how the ESRB rates that.)

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers & Warning
3. Re: New GeForce Drivers & Warning Nov 15, 2016, 22:00 Creston

"You MUST have this driver installed to keep playing your games! Also, this driver breaks your games!"

Nvidia at its finest.

8. Zika Virus mosquito Nov 15, 2016, 14:11 Creston

Its days are numbered. There is a trial underway where they're going to release a bunch of genetically modified (male) mosquitoes into the wild. The only thing different about these is that they pass on a gene that makes its offspring sterile.

If proven successful, they'll release more of those, and within several generations that particular brand of mosquito will die off or at least be so diminished that its threat will mostly evaporate.

After that, they'll likely do the same for that little fucker in Africa that spreads Malaria.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 15, 2016, 11:37 Creston

People who Reply to All should immediately be fired and locked up. Especially the tards who Reply to All complaining that people shouldn't reply to all. Actually, let's hang them separately.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Watch Dogs 2 Online is broken Nov 15, 2016, 11:34 Creston

You don't say...

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 14, 2016, 21:45 Creston

The US Copyright Act allows up to $150,000 in damages per infringement.

Hit them for everything they've got. Maybe then the government will finally see just how fucking retarded that number is.

7. Why do so many people like cats Nov 14, 2016, 11:35 Creston

Because they're all psychopaths

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 14, 2016, 11:33 Creston

Why is everyone pretending this is somehow worse under Trump than it would have been under Clinton? Am I missing something?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 14, 2016, 11:32 Creston

Good stuff, MS.

28522 Comments. 1427 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo