Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 27305 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 Mod Support in April; Survival Mode Beta Soon
8. Re: Fallout 4 Mod Support in April; Survival Mode Beta Soon Feb 23, 2016, 14:25 Creston

Red wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 13:45:
Creston wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 11:56:
Weíre doing things like you canít save, it only saves your game when you sleep. You canít fast travel. Thereíre all of these diseases. Weíre trying it all. Itís a different experience. Weíre not trying to make it a ton harder. Itís harder because youíre doing more things. We want the combat to feel different, as opposed to just being a bullet sponge.

Not gonna lie, that sounds pretty sweet. On the flipside, not being able to save anywhere in a Bethesda game, that can crash at any time... Gonna take some getting used to...

It just needs two kinds of saves. Auto saves that still happen every few minutes or when entering a new load zone or whatever. And if the game crashes, you can load from one of these. But if you die, you can't load one of those; you have to load from a "sleep save."

That would be a good solution, yes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2016, 12:01 Creston

I don't have any personal experience with the yellow tint stuff, but several people I've worked with / talked to said it didn't really seem to do much for them.

A better thing to do, imo, is to limit the brightness on your monitor, and to not have way too bright objects as your desktop background. I can immediately tell if I have a super bright desktop picture up, as my eyes start getting tired after like 10-15 minutes.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Mod Support in April; Survival Mode Beta Soon
3. Re: Fallout 4 Mod Support in April; Survival Mode Beta Soon Feb 23, 2016, 11:56 Creston

Weíre doing things like you canít save, it only saves your game when you sleep. You canít fast travel. Thereíre all of these diseases. Weíre trying it all. Itís a different experience. Weíre not trying to make it a ton harder. Itís harder because youíre doing more things. We want the combat to feel different, as opposed to just being a bullet sponge.

Not gonna lie, that sounds pretty sweet. On the flipside, not being able to save anywhere in a Bethesda game, that can crash at any time... Gonna take some getting used to...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2016, 14:27 Creston

killer_roach wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 13:07:
Granted, not that it's necessarily sales opportunities. Keep in mind that FCA has hybrid/electric versions of almost their entire range, and sell almost none of them.

Other than Tesla, nobody is really selling electric vehicles, especially not right now when gas is so cheap. Companies build them because it's the only way they'll ever make it to the 2025 CAFE standard.

Wouldn't surprise me if they're being pushed in that direction both from the US and Europe, however. (Somewhat interestingly, even their worst-offending diesels would have still qualified as good under EURO 4 emissions standards a decade ago...)

Sure, but as we're learning more about NOx, we're learning more about just how terrible a polutant it is. The reality is simply that Diesel engines need to go away. There is no such thing as a "clean diesel." There is no such thing as a marginally dirty diesel. There is only filthy diesel.

In any case, it's mostly VW just trying to spruce up its image, but even so, the future will far more likely be in electric vehicles rather than Diesel. (though I doubt it'll ever get as all-encompassing as Elon Musk claims, since our power grid could never handle 100 million cars charging at night.) And the current lash against diesel will be very interesting to follow in Europe, where ~60% of all cars are Diesels, rather than the ~ 10% it's here in the US.

simply put, I don't have a lot of faith in a fully-electric car to spring to life in the middle of a Wisconsin winter.

Eh, Teslas have been tested as rigorously if not more than gas powered cars in the cold and they seem to be just fine with it. I don't think it was that long ago when you had to warm up diesel engines before you could start them in the cold, right? Eventually companies will just deliver all their models with electric power trains as well. It just takes about 10 years before they've switched everything over to a common platform so that the cost of having an E powered engine for all models becomes feasible.

In any case, I read something on Reuters that said that VW is having difficulties agreeing with the EPA and don't expect anything before the end of March, so I'm not sure what Ars is reporting here.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2016, 12:31 Creston

HoSpanky wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 11:27:
Yes, it's expensive, but when I was wavering on the Rift, my girlfriend said "isn't this what you built that machine FOR?".

You marry that girl. YOU MARRY THAT GIRL RIGHT NOW, SPANKY!!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Why WS is making games again Feb 22, 2016, 12:28 Creston

Because he needs money?  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2016, 10:40 Creston

RIP, Dave.

And yeah, I think the Vive is a better, or rather, more interesting unit than the Rift, but 800 bucks is a bit above my target price range. I'll get interested when they drop to half that.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2016, 10:39 Creston

Something that VW was already planning anyway.

Jalopnik isn't reporting this yet, so I wonder how true it is.

News Comments > EA Asks About Interest in Dragon Age Tactics
37. Re: EA Asks About Interest in Dragon Age Tactics Feb 22, 2016, 10:30 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 01:22:
On a side note, I think people are misunderstanding what "Only on PC" actually means. Bioware isn't proposing that the game be a PC exclusive. They're just asking if players have a preferred platform to play on.

Yeah, that's the idea I got as well. I assumed my vote to mean "I'll only play it on PC, but I don't care what platforms it comes out on." as opposed to "I will only play it if it's a PC exclusive."

I genuinely don't care, as long as the PC version doesn't suffer. Of course, if they make it for all platforms, the PC version has a very good chance of suffering.

News Comments > German Fallout 3 Ban Lifted
72. Re: German Fallout 3 Ban Lifted Feb 21, 2016, 22:49 Creston

Sepharo wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 14:20:
Was just checking since our resident Dutch actually lives in Oklahoma

Flee! FLEE NOW, FOOLS!

News Comments > On XCOM 2 Framerate Issues
29. Re: On XCOM 2 Framerate Issues Feb 21, 2016, 22:46 Creston

Stormsinger wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 13:08:
I realize it has other issues. Those just don't bother me as much as taking 20 minutes to exit and restart after every mission.

Did you try the capslock thingy? (Hit capslock after a mission is over, it'll apparently load every outstanding load request in a single frame, as per the devs, and skip the 40 seconds load screen.)

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Feb 21, 2016, 22:42 Creston

You're a good man, Joshua Browder.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
5. Re: Sunday Interviews Feb 21, 2016, 22:41 Creston

Pigeon wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 16:10:

I'm more familiar with FOX's shenanigans so I don't know how bad the BBC is at "editing" interviews to fit their story, but it sounds like they almost completely edited the interviews to have them appear to say the exact opposite of what was actually capture in the interview. Pretty scummy.

The Beeb is very well known for having its own (political) agenda and making sure that its shows fall in line with said agenda. But this is probably a new step for them.

Then again, it's BBC 3, so editorial oversight there is probably done by the Vietnamese eggroll vendor on the corner of the metro station.

29. Re: EA Asks About Interest in Dragon Age Tactics Feb 21, 2016, 14:14 Creston

bhcompy wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 11:50:
Tactics games play well on consoles. Not sure about the console hate on this one. Hell, some of the best tactics games done are GBA games even

I don't hate on it, but I'd play it on PC anyway, so why would I vote for anything else?

28. Re: EA Asks About Interest in Dragon Age Tactics Feb 21, 2016, 14:13 Creston

nin wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 05:20:
Zero interest. Now, if Bio/EA wants to repackage the entire Mass Effect series, including all DLC? I'd be down for that.

It baffles me why EA won't let them do an HD remake for the entire ME series. With the way HD remakes are selling, and the way fans have been clamoring to be able to play ME on the current gen of consoles, it seems like it would be a no-brainer, especially since they already have all 3 games running on PC code anyway.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
2. Re: Sunday Interviews Feb 21, 2016, 14:06 Creston

The BBC deliberately misquoting things and taking them out of context to emphasize the terribly slanted point they try to foist on their viewing audience?

Why, I never...!

Rolleyes

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 21, 2016, 14:03 Creston

Primalchrome wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 13:41:
Looks like Bethesda's play worked very well.

Yup. Tell people that something will go up in price very soon, and a lot of folks will jump on it now so they 'save money'.

It's a time-proven tactic.

News Comments > HTC Vive in April for $799
11. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 21, 2016, 14:01 Creston

o_O

800 bucks...

9. Re: EA Asks About Interest in Dragon Age Tactics Feb 20, 2016, 15:09 Creston

CrushBug wrote on Feb 20, 2016, 13:53:
Creston wrote on Feb 20, 2016, 13:25:
I wanted to vote Only on PC, but I refuse to sign up for the tardery that is Twitter. So Bioware, if any of you still read here, this is one vote for Only On PC.

Noted.

Thanks Derek

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 20, 2016, 13:32 Creston

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 19, 2016, 16:28:
On the other subject, man, Wheeler has turned out to be a lot better FCC chair than I thought he'd be.

That one still baffles me. Within six months he turned from AT&T/Verizon/Comcast stoolie into the Hero of the Common Man. He must be a Synth.

27305 Comments. 1366 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo