Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 27596 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games
17. Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 17:33 Creston

So I'm guessing this requires you to log into their server with your Steam credentials...?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released
42. Re: Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released Jun 1, 2016, 13:59 Creston

Quboid wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 10:54:
Trial and error with death on the line is immersion breaking in my opinion.

So you want to never be challenged? What's the point of having any kind of confrontational system, if you can't fail at it?

Btw, the group of drowners I first attacked was level 4 when I was level 1, so realistically I knew I was probably going to get slaughtered anyway. Had I stuck to the main story straight from the start, I'd have been fine, since it slowly eases you into combat, but I saw a chest of loot and wanted it, 6 level 4 drowners be damned.

This is the kind of system for which everyone praised Gothic 2 to death. If you want to explore, you can explore, but be prepared to get your ass kicked. It's the same in W3. The further away you get from where the main story is happening, the worse the opposition gets.

Running into several level 15 wraiths when you're level 6 is pretty brutal...

You either love that type of level system or you don't (and probably prefer Oblivion's milquetoast "everyone is the same level as you").

It sounds as if you just don't like third person melee games, which is fine, but that doesn't automatically translate into the combat in W3 being bad.

News Comments > Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed
23. Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 13:51 Creston

Here comes the Blizzard nerf bat...

36. Re: Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released Jun 1, 2016, 00:04 Creston

Red wrote on May 31, 2016, 19:19:
See I didn't find any of that intuitive. It felt like combat was trial and error memorization of what counters what for whatever arbitrary reason.

How is that different from pretty much every other game, though? The Dark Souls/Bloodborne series, which is hailed as the pinnacle of melee combat fighting, is endless deaths until you figure something out?

And then I always felt clunky trying to execute the various actions. I didn't feel like my FPS skills were relevant, more like I needed awesome spreadsheet skills to kick ass.

Not sure why your FPS skills would be relevant to a third person action game , but in any case, once you learn a monster's tell for their attack, it becomes fairly trivial to dodge them. (similarly with parries against weapon attacks). But yes, this does take a few hours to learn. When I first went up against a group of drowners, I got slaughtered. The second and third time, ditto. It wasn't until the eight or ninth group that I realized you can't parry them, and have to sidestep.

Now I go up against 9 drowners, and it's just basically a Yuen Woo-Ping fight scene.

With a typical first-person shooter, reflexes and environmental awareness enable you to dodge in an organic manner, not because you timed the appropriate dodge-mechanic button press.

I'm sorry, that statement makes no sense. In an FPS, you dodge by hitting left or right strafe at the right time to avoid projectile X. In the Witcher 3, you dodge by hitting roll/sidestep at the right time to avoid attack Y. How are they any different?

The first few times you try to dodge said projectile in an FPS, you're probably eating it because you need to get its timing down. Nobody beat the Cyberdemon on their first go in the original Doom.

In the Witcher 3, you learn the tells of monsters so you can dodge them. It may take a little longer (mostly on account of the incredible amount of monsters there is in the game), but how is the principle any different? You still need to hit the right button at the right time, or eat a missile/claw.

Your weapons have a familiar purpose making it intuitive in what situations each would be effective.

Which you learned over X amount of time of playing FPS games, and because most/all devs stick to the same general 'knowledge' when it comes to FPS games, right?

And you can actually see what's going on because it's ranged combat, not melee where the FOV just doesn't work well and aiming/targeting it awkward.

It's harder to see in a third person game, yes. The aiming/targeting complaint I don't really get, because Geralt aims in the direction he's facing. There is no auto-lock like someone proclaims earlier. You swing in front of you, and if a piece of the monster is in the path of your swing, you will hit it. In fact, the hit collision detection in Witcher 3 is phenomenal.

I don't like saying it's bad. But it certainly isn't my cup of tea.

Which is fine, obviously. I'm not saying you HAVE to like it or you're a shit gamer or anything. Some people prefer combat A, some prefer combat B, some prefer combat C. To each their own.

But in what it is, which is third person melee combat, the Witcher 3 is fantastic. It's MILES better than, for example, the Assassin's Creed series.

That it's not better than Dark Souls/Bloodborne, eh, fair enough. I haven't played either of those, so I can't judge. But I was a bit frustrated with W3's combat at first too (killed groups of drowners by kiting them to the edge of how far they'd walk, then would Igni them to death with a lvl 1 Igni, which took fucking ages.) And now I seek out Elementals or such 10 levels higher than me, knowing it's a 15 minute battle where a single mistake will kill me, and fully expect to win the battle.

@ Quboid, I do think you're talking about the old movement style, which is indeed clunky. CDPR put in an alternative mode which is more precise, especially in combat, fairly quickly, I think with the 2nd patch or so.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Microsoft removes 260 character path limit May 31, 2016, 18:04 Creston

Nice! That only took, what, fifteen fucking years? Trying to explain to dimwit users why their 48 nested, tree'd subfolders won't work unless they map a drive to like subfolder 46 has been the fucking bane of my existence.

29. Re: Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released May 31, 2016, 17:59 Creston

ItBurn wrote on May 31, 2016, 13:08:
It's not me, it's Witcher 3.

No, it's just you (and others.) There are plenty of people who think combat is just fine. It just takes some time to learn what to parry, what to dodge, what to roll, what sign to use where, etc. Once you've learned how it works, and you put the difficulty up, it's a fantastic combat system.

If anything, putting the difficulty down so nothing can threaten you would make it a terrifying bore, whereas fighting an Archgriffin that's 8 levels higher than you on Death March is fucking exciting.
(Or, for that matter, fighting ANY group of wolves on New Game+ is freaking terrifying. They will murder you in no time flat if you fuck up.)

28. Re: Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released May 31, 2016, 17:57 Creston

JayDeath wrote on May 31, 2016, 12:27:
The problem with the DLC and blood and Wine is that the game suggests that you only start B And W with at least a level 34 character. Do I bother even trying with my level 31 character or do I have to grind out 3 more levels before attempting Blood and Wine? Would dropping the game difficulty help? Anyone else having this issue?

What level is your equipment? 3 levels isn't an impossible gap, but it can be pretty challenging if your equipment isn't up to snuff. I'd say if you have Superior or Master level Witcher gear, you'll be okay.

27. Re: Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released May 31, 2016, 17:55 Creston

Frijoles wrote on May 31, 2016, 10:42:
I'm finally back in to this game and wondering about the DLCs. Are they all meant to be completed after the main quest line? Are there specific levels for them? I haven't looked in to them much, but thinking it may be time to grab all of them.

Heart of Stone can be done during, but it's level 32-38, so you'll be playing it near the end anyway. Blood and Wine is meant to be played after you finish the main game, and starts at level 34.

News Comments > The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch
26. Re: The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch May 31, 2016, 17:53 Creston

Caladell wrote on May 31, 2016, 00:19:
Creston wrote on May 30, 2016, 21:13:
Updated, and now the game won't start anymore. Get a Hook MatchesCountError. Great...

Edit: If you run into this problem, you can fix it by renaming the dsound.dll file in your Witcher3/bin/x64 folder.

Were you running the developer console mod? If so, that would be the issue. I'll have to do the same, or wait for an update to that.

You know, I didn't even think about that. I used it once to see if I could fix something, and forgot all about it.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Expansion Next Week
5. Re: Just Cause 3 Expansion Next Week May 31, 2016, 17:52 Creston

Too little, too late.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2016, 23:49 Creston

Thanks to all veterans, and to all people who lost family / friends in our many, many armed conflicts.

16. Re: The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch May 30, 2016, 21:13 Creston

Updated, and now the game won't start anymore. Get a Hook MatchesCountError. Great...

Edit: If you run into this problem, you can fix it by renaming the dsound.dll file in your Witcher3/bin/x64 folder.

Two minutes in, and oh my god, the reorg on the inventory screen is fucking AMAZING. OILS ARE BY THEMSELVES NOW! NO LONGER DO YOU HAVE TO SCROLL DOWN FOUR TIMES JUST TO GET TO THE OILS! THIS SAVES 40 HOURS PER GAME!!!

Edit2: Great analytical post, CJ.

Edit3: The map can now zoom in further both ways, which is amazing, and there's an entire world minimap on the actual map itself, which is also pretty cool. Everything looks a little more organized, so that's nice.

I've noticed a "Witcher Gear 0/6" thing on my Witcher items, once you get to three upgrades you can apply 3 oils on a sword, which is pretty awesome, but it says that I can't apply upgrades until I reach Grandmaster level, so I have no clue what the hell that means.

One thing to note: For whatever reason, the 1.20 upgrade and Blood and Wine DLC (which seems to be included in the download) reset my XP for my current level to 0. Not a big deal as I was only at about 300xp or so, but if you're at 1800, this might be pretty annoying.

Stuff looks pretty slick now. Definitely a nice UI upgrade.

This comment was edited on May 30, 2016, 21:26.

12. Re: The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch May 30, 2016, 19:29 Creston

Massive QoL patch, very much appreciated CDPR!

Edit: 14GB?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Why Game of Thrones is getting good again May 29, 2016, 19:59 Creston

Because they're no longer following GRRM's shitty drag-on-forever storylines.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. May 29, 2016, 19:58 Creston

Nowadays you can post anything and get death threats. Oh, look, I just got one for posting this.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 28, 2016, 19:15 Creston

359,999,900 of those passwords have long since expired.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Delay Confirmed
10. Re: No Man's Sky Delay Confirmed May 28, 2016, 19:15 Creston

If you need more time to make it good, take more time to make it good.

I hope this will be cool, I want it to be cool, but sadly I still have some doubts...

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Live Action Trailer
15. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Live Action Trailer May 28, 2016, 11:27 Creston

This trailer was AWESOME. Just incredibly well done. It may be the best live-action trailer for a game yet.

Kudos to the people who made it.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Horizons Expands
10. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Expands May 28, 2016, 11:20 Creston

Pr()ZaC wrote on May 28, 2016, 08:15:
Vall Forran wrote on May 27, 2016, 22:59:
Not fair! I'm moving to New Zealand
*plays a song by Flight Of The Conchords...

"It's Business, it's Business Time! I know what you're trying to say, you're trying to say it's time for business, it's Business Time, ooh!"

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
20. Re: Morning Metaverse May 27, 2016, 17:45 Creston

If you replace the word "smut" with "shit" you've just described basically every single Twitter feed.

27596 Comments. 1380 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo