Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 27847 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jul 1, 2016, 10:58 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 20:22:
Yeah whatever, it works. And if you are working out and not losing weight then you are gaining muscle mass which some prefer anyway.

Turning fat into lean muscle is a 100% win for your body, even if your weight stays the same.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 1, 2016, 10:57 Creston

That is dodgy as shit, AMD...

News Comments > ShinyLoot "Dormant" - GOG.com Rescues Sword of the Stars: The Pit
8. Re: ShinyLoot Jul 1, 2016, 10:43 Creston

nin wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 09:36:
Creston wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 09:20:
You're good people, GOG.

Maybe I'm just more into collecting stuff I've since lost from disc and cd, but it seems like a lot more of my money goes to gog than steam anymore. They seem like decent folks, and I love having my old library a few clicks away...

I really only buy a few games a year anymore for PC and it's the big Open World releases that I know I'll get 100+ hours of fun out of, but anything small that I buy does tend to come through GOG, yeah.

Of course, I have ~ 60 games sitting in my GOG library, and I've played maybe... 5 of them?

News Comments > The Orion Project Asset Theft Follow-up
9. Re: The Orion Project Asset Theft Follow-up Jul 1, 2016, 09:26 Creston

DangerDog wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 02:36:
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Blatant theft of assets is the cheapest way to a complete game.

News Comments > BioShock: The Collection Announced
15. Re: BioShock: The Collection Announced Jul 1, 2016, 09:22 Creston

nin wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 13:16:
Creston wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 12:17:
Countless fans have asked for this since the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One arrived – and we listened!

Unlike another developer we could mention *COUGH* ROCKSTAR *COUGH* who, despite eleventy billion people asking for it, still gives everyone the big middle finger with regards to Red Dead Redemption.

Creston! I thought you of all people would bring up the lack of a "Mass Effect Complete collection with all DLC included" package (another people have been asking for for a long time now)!

True, I forgot about that, but I can currently play Mass Effect just fine. RDR, I CANNOT play anymore.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Half of Steam's entire library Jul 1, 2016, 09:21 Creston

Prez?

News Comments > ShinyLoot "Dormant" - GOG.com Rescues Sword of the Stars: The Pit
5. Re: ShinyLoot Jul 1, 2016, 09:20 Creston

You're good people, GOG.  

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER – Blood for the Blood God DLC Released
12. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER – Blood for the Blood God DLC Released Jul 1, 2016, 09:19 Creston

Sega and marketing is the reason, and that they sell blood DLC is actually a legal issue, they can't give a away the DLC for free, because that would increase the rating to M for the base product...

Fine, then sell it for $0.10. This is just selling pieces of the game after the fact, aka, the thing DLC is always accused of being, and in this case legitimately so.

News Comments > XCOM 2 Shen's Last Gift Released
1. Re: XCOM 2 Shen's Last Gift Released Jul 1, 2016, 09:14 Creston

So does it look like the new soldier class is essentially a mech?

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 1, 2016, 09:11 Creston

yuastnav wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 03:06:
Well yeah, but then there's the question how much that differs from a normal human brain. Unfortunately we are a long way off of knowing that.

It differs quite a bit. If our brain was just a massive series of if/then statements, we could never adapt to anything new the first time we encountered it.

Unfortunately that neither lets us predict nor tells us how the worm is going to behave or move and what not.

Yeah, experience and genetics likely come into it as well.

So I'm not sure whether an evolved AI is just a bunch of if/then statements. It's certainly something that can be observed scientifically but I think we're not even close to beginning to understand how a complex intelligence works.

No, we're not, but that was kind of my point. They call this an AI (they call self-driving cars an AI too), but it's not. It's just a massive database of if/then statements built in a cascading tree of decision making logic.

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 30, 2016, 12:52 Creston

yuastnav wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 02:33:
In fact the Polish science fiction Stanislaw Lem wrote a book title Golem XIV where the complete opposite happened. Humans created an AI that was magnitudes more intelligent than humans themselves and at some point just stopped talking to humans altogether.

In Peter F Hamilton's commonwealth series, the AIs eventually form the SI (Sentient Intelligence), which co-exists with humanity but also spies on it and tends to interfere in human development in certain ways. It also writes Restricted Intelligences for humanity to do the work that AIs were doing before.

Then, thousand years later, when a chunk of humanity uploads itself into a neural network named ANA, which becomes an entity onto itself, ANA forbids the SI from contacting or interfering with humanity, and it kinds of treats the SI as an unwanted black sheep in the family.

In any case, for all how it's called an AI, it's just a massive series of if/then statements.

News Comments > The Orion Project Asset Theft Follow-up
4. Re: The Orion Project Asset Theft Follow-up Jun 30, 2016, 12:23 Creston

and goes into the reasons this project has had to deal with so many accusations of art theft over the course of its development.

I'm just spitballing here, but you know... because you stole the art?

7. Re: BioShock: The Collection Announced Jun 30, 2016, 12:17 Creston

Countless fans have asked for this since the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One arrived – and we listened!

Unlike another developer we could mention *COUGH* ROCKSTAR *COUGH* who, despite eleventy billion people asking for it, still gives everyone the big middle finger with regards to Red Dead Redemption.

6. Re: BioShock: The Collection Announced Jun 30, 2016, 12:16 Creston

MoonSpook wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 11:16:
It's not noted here (unless I fail at reading comprehension), but these are all also free if you own the games on Steam (end of third paragraph) - so might be worth picking them up during the Summer Sale if you're interested.

That's pretty sweet. I think I own all three on Steam. Thanks for linking!

News Comments > Godus Dead?
16. Re: Godus Dead? Jun 29, 2016, 18:03 Creston

Kxmode wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 17:31:
Can someone tell me what "There's lots of areas to explore to finish" means?

It means "We'll keep pretending we're going to finish this game for several more years, but not actually work on it, until everyone's forgotten about it. Thanks for all the money, suckers!"

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
16. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 29, 2016, 17:57 Creston

Right now $200 or $230 is a pretty good price for just above GTX970 performance, though I'm worried about the fan noise.

Hopefully we'll see a Twin Frozr version of this card. If we do, I'm pretty interested in it, since I currently game at 1080p anyway.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2016, 17:55 Creston

I think some more people need to sue the shit out of Microsoft.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 29, 2016, 17:53 Creston

How would that thing even be remotely comfortable to hold?

Also, 70,000 bucks from 433 people? Holy shit people have a lot of money to burn...

News Comments > The Technomancer Released
6. Re: The Technomancer Released Jun 29, 2016, 12:46 Creston

Acleacius wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 12:30:
Damn, IGN gives it 4.9

Well, at least we know who didn't buy any advertising at IGN.

News Comments > G2A Planning Changes
63. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 29, 2016, 12:38 Creston

Orogogus wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 19:08:
That's just wanting the one thing, regional pricing. If everyone bypasses it then they don't have it at all.

But not everyone bypasses it. In fact, the large large large majority of people just buy their games through Steam. So the publishers whining about sites like G2A is literally them just whining at a small group of people who takes advantage of the fact that they (the publishers) want to have regional pricing.

I don't see where you're going with this have their cake and eat it schtick. If the municipal government wants a 40 MPH speed limit zone, wanting people to not mount radar detectors and blast through isn't some separate desire.

One literally follows the other. If you didn't have a speed zone, people wouldn't mount radar detectors. If you don't have Regional pricing, people don't buy keys off G2A. So bitching about people using sites like G2A, while you as a publisher insist on regional pricing is trying to have it both ways. If you want regional pricing, then a segment of the user market in the market you're trying to charge full price is going to take advantage of that.

Ergo, Latin, them wanting Regional Pricing and then bitching at the result of regional pricing—people using sites like G2A—is them wanting to have their cake (regional pricing) and eat it too (whine about people using G2A.)

I literally cannot make this any clearer, so if you still don't get what I'm saying then :-shrug-:

In any case, I don't think they brought up regional pricing. That was, like, Cutter saying there's no such thing as black market keys, only regional keys.

Possibly, but publishers have been bitching about GMG for well over a year, and of course completely ignore the fact that they themselves have caused sites like GMG to appear.

I feel like you're sometimes almost as bad as Cutter at skimming through quickly. The publisher is also the CC company's customer, and I put it in parentheses to clarify.

Ehm, no, the publisher isn't the one being charged the credit card bill for the stolen credit card number, unless it happens to be a credit card that actually belonged to the publisher that got used to buy their own game. The stolen CC number belongs to random joe schmoe in random craphole, Alabama. Joe Schmoe doesn't get charged for having his stolen CC# used to buy 5000 keys of some game.

Now, once the fraud is discovered, the publisher maybe doesn't get their money? I'm not really quite sure on that. But since they're just keys, technically they don't really lose anything. Once they banish the keys, they're out exactly zero dollars.

The publisher/retailer/merchant very often does eat the cost, and I'm almost certain they would in this case -- as is often pointed out, pirated software doesn't necessarily equal a lost sale. On that basis, I'd be amazed if the CC companies coughed up any money to game companies making a loss claim.

We're basically saying the same thing. I don't know how it works in the software industry, but in retail, if the CC company didn't act quickly enough to curb the stolen CC, then the retailer still gets their money, and the CC eats the cost.

I don't think the CC companies are telling them, or else there would be a lot more of that reported. My impression is that this kind of operation uses stolen credit card numbers, not physical cards, so if it gets through the fraud detection algorithm then it might not get flagged until someone notices the bad charge on their card, by which time the key might have been turned around and sold already.

That's possible, but like I said, how is that G2A's problem? That's the CC company's problem. If it never gets reported to the publisher, fair enough, then obviously they can't do anything about it, but I doubt it never gets reported. (if it never got reported, why would keys get revoked?)

In any case, I fail to see why everyone in the gaming industry is blaming G2A for something which:

1) Is out of G2A's control
2) for doing something that they (the gaming industry) themselves helped create. (ie, a market place that takes advantage of regional pricing.)

27847 Comments. 1393 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo