Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 30012 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
76. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 11:49 Creston

The very first PC my father and I built together, had a 30 something MB hard drive. Then I installed Wing Commander 2, and it was full, so we upgraded to a 57! MB hard drive, and I remember saying to him "We'll never fill that."

57MB. I let out farts that take up more space than that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 11:27 Creston

That bear getting hit in the nuts was so funny. He's just rolling around like "Aaaahhhhhh shiiiiiittt!"

News Comments > Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex
4. Re: Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex Nov 28, 2017, 10:49 Creston

So there won't be anything in the next few years, but at least maybe we'll still get SOMETHING at some point.

The annoying thing is Square's insistence that anything that doesn't sell 10 million copies is an automatic failure.

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Nov 27, 2017, 17:54 Creston

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 15:14:
It's the other way around with Disney having the ironclad contract with EA.
https://www.forbes.com/companies/walt-disney/
vs
https://www.forbes.com/companies/electronic-arts/

I'm not seeing anything about a contract, just market cap?

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Nov 27, 2017, 14:02 Creston

Beamer wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 12:27:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 12:21:
I wonder if that Petition is actually going to do something.. even if 1 million people signed it.

I highly doubt their contract has a clause that the license can be revoked if 1 million people sign a petition.

Haha, yeah. I'm fairly sure EA has a pretty ironclad contract with Disney. So while Disney can undoubtedly exert some influence over EA's Star Wars fiasco(s), I don't think they can just yank the license away.

Well, I mean, I'm sure they CAN, if they don't mind going to court and having to pay a shit ton of money in penalties.

News Comments > Nioh Mouse Support This Week
8. Re: Nioh Mouse Support This Week Nov 27, 2017, 13:59 Creston

PHJF wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 13:04:
No mention of the most egregious bug, that of whatever backwards ass shitty video software locking the game up on startup... 50% of time I launch game I have to ctrl alt delete and restart it.

Sounds like a great port.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 27, 2017, 13:52 Creston

Strong passwords have become an oxymoron anyway. Unless you can come up with something truly unique, odds are pretty good that your password already existed in a database that has been stole somewhere. Hackers now have BILLIONS of existing passwords, so unless you feel confident you came up with something that billions of other users haven't thought of, your password is useless.

And even if you have something fantastically unique, it better be 20+ characters, because otherwise the brute-force approach will still crack it in very little time.

Passwords have failed. Time for something else.

News Comments > National Committee for Games Policy Takes on Loot Crates
3. Re: National Committee for Games Policy Takes on Loot Crates Nov 27, 2017, 13:47 Creston

So it's a lobbying group. This piece could easily read "The publishers are getting really antsy over the thought of governments taking their favorite child-gambling methods away, so they've formed a group that will write checks to the necessary congress-critters to make sure that this doesn't go anywhere."

Too bad it doesn't fall under Ajit Pai's purview, they could have had the whole thing disappear for $10. (Ajit Pai's a cheap whore, but he wants you to know that 10 bucks is the Thanksgiving discount.)

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. Ajit Pai doomed in court Nov 26, 2017, 15:43 Creston

God, I fucking hope so. Just imagining the look on that dumb gangbanged-potato face of his when a judge says "No." and bangs his gavel on the platform is pure ecstasy.  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Nov 26, 2017, 15:32 Creston

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Nov 26, 2017, 00:35 Creston

I wish someone would reverse Ajit Pai's head being up his ass.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 26, 2017, 00:33 Creston

Trump supported also confused Trump with an actual human being qualified to be president, so this is understandable.

News Comments > Black Mesa Delayed
13. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 26, 2017, 00:31 Creston

Is there anyone actually excited about the Xen part?  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2017, 23:19 Creston

Hoop wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 15:10:
Creston wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 15:04:
Got a 1070ti instead. Still badly overpriced because of the fucking crypto miners, but oh well.
1070ti is a nice card, congrats on the new build, enjoy.

Thanks. First new PC I built in six years, figured I was overdue.

News Comments > One Hour Star Citizen Video
19. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 19:08 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Nov 24, 2017, 18:07:
That being said, Chris Roberts is known for this. I had to buy a new system to run WC3.

Heh, Wing Commander 3 was the first game for which I bought a dedicated graphics card. It ran like shit on my PC at the time, I didn't know anything about PC upgrades and such, so I asked around a forum what the best thing to do would be to get it to run better, and they recommended a new graphics card.

I bought a Matrox Millenium for it. Holy shit it ran so smooth after that! And that... set me on a path of graphics card upgrades that I'm sure by now has cost me 10 grand.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Nov 24, 2017, 15:09 Creston

Yeah, his rant was funny, but all in all it seemed a bit "RAH ANOTHER UBISOFT GAME I HATE THESE!" than specific to AC:Origins. Origins is probably the best AC since 2.

Yes, the leveling is a bit odd and does do weird things to the assassin part of the game (jump onto a guy from above and stab him straight in the throat, and if he's 5 levels above you, it does shit all for damage), but on the flipside, it does create a sense of progression as you get more powerful and open up more areas. I just wish they'd made more mid-level areas and not wasted so many on levels 30+.

AC Origins is a very enjoyable game, and Ubisoft has heavily reined in its "open world game means 90000000000000000 icons on your map!" crap. The world feels nicely populated. Not too sparse, not too full.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2017, 15:04 Creston

Ryzen 1700 was 50 bucks off, Windows 10 was 30 bucks off, Gskill Tridents were 50 bucks off, MSI motherboard was 20 bucks off.

Nothing great, but it adds up when you're building a whole new PC. Think I saved about $150 in total on a $1500 build. I guess all the GTX1080s went on sale at Newegg, as every single one of them that was on sale is sold out. I thought about staying awake last night, but realized at midnight that the sales wouldn't start until midnight THEIR time (PST), and gave up.

Got a 1070ti instead. Still badly overpriced because of the fucking crypto miners, but oh well.

8. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 14:50 Creston

Also, not gonna lie, the flying into the planet and watching everything slowly get into detail is very, very impressive. But once he's skimming over the surface, there is a truly awful amount of pop-in. Like, Rage on a slow 5200rpm hard drive level of shitty pop-in. Ugh.

And hopefully there will be planets that have more than just one set of textures. Because rocky, barren ground will get dull very fast.

3. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 24, 2017, 13:58 Creston

first announced a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away

Giggle Giggle Giggle

Watched the video. Some impressions:

- The camera wobble when he got out of his bunk made me nauseated. :-vomit-:
- Damn, that dude has a pretty visible dick in his space suit.
- 26 FPS in the menu! WOOT! (and the CPU is at ~30% wtf?)
- Nobody bats an eye at this guy walking by with 100lbs of advanced weaponry strapped to his back.
- Basically no idle animations for any of the stationary NPCs, so they're all just standing there gazing into the abyss. Please give them some idle animations.
- Space station seems incredibly empty. Not just of people, but just of things in general. This is a space station, every single inch that was built will have cost millions of dollars. Why is there so much wasted, empty space? Those corridors are wide enough to drive a semi through.
- Outside of the space station looks amazing. Great sense of scale with the planet in the back.
- Weird clipping issue in 1st person camera. Maybe the rifle strapped to his back clipping in front of it? Very irritating.
- Graphics look amazing.
- Spaceflight seems immersive, but why is the dude using his suit menu/radar while in his ship? Doesn't the ship have a radar/map?

All in all, as something to show off what a PC can do, this may have no equal (eventually.) However, the whole thing seems like it'd just be a chore to play. Too much fiddling with shit, clicking buttons, too little action. I'm sure some people will love that, but it's not my cup of tea. I'd get bored walking around a barren, empty space station after the second time I'd done so.

Also, someone please tell that guy that his hydrogen fuel is low. I don't feel like that was really at all very evident during gameplay... Rolleyes

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2017, 14:44.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2017, 13:57 Creston

I'll repeat from yesterday's OOTB. Wolfenstein 2 (the brand new one) Digital Deluxe Edition is on sale for 34 bucks at Newegg right now.

30012 Comments. 1501 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo