Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 27591 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Jun 3, 2016, 18:16 Creston

That was awesome.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Starter Edition
1. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Starter Edition Jun 3, 2016, 18:09 Creston

So, pay less and grind more? Eh, if you've got oodles of free time, it's probably not a bad deal.

News Comments > Just Cause 3: MECH LAND ASSAULT Early Launch
6. Re: Just Cause 3: MECH LAND ASSAULT Early Launch Jun 3, 2016, 17:45 Creston

LittleMe wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 13:50:
Yeah the PC version is a mediocre port, at best. Wait for the $10 sale! No sooner. I loved JC2, didn't care much for 3 and it sits unplayed for a long time now.

The port is fine. And it's weird, because they genuinely improved every single mechanism from JC2.

The driving is (substantially)better. The movement is better. The grappling is better. The parachuting is better. The shooting is better.

But the entire world is SO.FUCKING.DULL. Nothing happens in it. There's nothing to see. Entire swaths of it are just empty grassland and rocks. There's no variety. Every fucking city is exactly the same. Their main capital city is 3 streets and 4 skyscrapers. They made the most boring grass&rocks sandbox imagineable. There's just no fun to be had in it.

And these DLCs do absolutely NOTHING to deal with that stupidly huge oversight.

News Comments > Hard Reset Redux Released
14. Re: Hard Reset Redux Released Jun 3, 2016, 17:39 Creston

I liked it well enough, but one playthrough was enough, and I sure as hell am not buying it again, 85% discount or not.  

News Comments > 7 Million Play Overwatch, Minus a Bunch of Cheaters
14. Re: 7 Million Play Overwatch, Minus a Bunch of Cheaters Jun 2, 2016, 23:53 Creston

Bwahaha, much handwringing by piece of shit cheaters. Excellent. Good on you, Blizzard.

Overwatch looks awesome, I wish I had time to play it. Sigh

News Comments > Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released
50. Re: Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released Jun 2, 2016, 17:54 Creston

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 2, 2016, 14:51:
Did they update the combat? i don't remember it being so fluid actually.

The movement system got updated, which fed over into the combat system, and they made all Geralt's attacks interruptable so you weren't stuck with an attack while a monster was gearing up to gank you.

I just now realized that it's entirely possible the game's combat was much more pants when it first came out. I didn't start playing it until patch 1.07 or 1.08, by which time it may have been measurably improved. So my discussions regarding combat may be one-sided from the perspective of the "better" combat.

As the combat is now, I think it's fine. It's likely not the greatest combat system in the world, but if you spend some time learning it, Geralt is a total badass and will do what you want him to do.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jun 2, 2016, 13:23 Creston

"Exclusives are how we build platforms, dammit! Sony and Microsoft have taught us that!"  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2016, 13:21 Creston

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 2, 2016, 12:01:
Grizzly bear shit has bells in it and smells like pepper.

Rotfl

That was an excellent "WHOA SHIT! " ending.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 2, 2016, 13:19 Creston

I wouldn't say she's worth "nothing."

When she goes to jail for widespread fraud, she will be worth a few bucks for every day she works while she's incarcerated.

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Release Window Narrowed
15. Re: Titanfall 2 Release Window Narrowed Jun 2, 2016, 13:16 Creston

EA: More Useless Information By The Day Three Weeks.

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2016, 21:57 Creston

Slick wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 21:22:
I do some rendering work and 16 threads would be mighty useful, I could literally game while I encode (cpu affinity ftw).

Well, if you've got a spare $1700, Intel would be happy to oblige you.

News Comments > Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games
28. Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 21:52 Creston

Strango wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 17:53:
Creston wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 17:33:
So I'm guessing this requires you to log into their server with your Steam credentials...?
No, you login to Steam's Web API which then grants permission to GOG a list of your owned titles.

Ah sweet. Thanks Strango

News Comments > Rocket League Soars Past $110M
1. Re: Rocket League Soars Past $110M Jun 1, 2016, 21:51 Creston

Congrats! Good to see a great game take a risk and get rewarded for it.

News Comments > Blackwood Crossing Announced
1. Re: ckwood Crossing Announced Jun 1, 2016, 21:50 Creston

ckwood, aka Louis' Boner.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2016, 17:35 Creston

If it's really got 80% of the performance of a 1070, for nearly half the price, then that's a no-brainer. I need to see some actual benchmarks first though.

News Comments > Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games
17. Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 17:33 Creston

So I'm guessing this requires you to log into their server with your Steam credentials...?

42. Re: Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released Jun 1, 2016, 13:59 Creston

Quboid wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 10:54:
Trial and error with death on the line is immersion breaking in my opinion.

So you want to never be challenged? What's the point of having any kind of confrontational system, if you can't fail at it?

Btw, the group of drowners I first attacked was level 4 when I was level 1, so realistically I knew I was probably going to get slaughtered anyway. Had I stuck to the main story straight from the start, I'd have been fine, since it slowly eases you into combat, but I saw a chest of loot and wanted it, 6 level 4 drowners be damned.

This is the kind of system for which everyone praised Gothic 2 to death. If you want to explore, you can explore, but be prepared to get your ass kicked. It's the same in W3. The further away you get from where the main story is happening, the worse the opposition gets.

Running into several level 15 wraiths when you're level 6 is pretty brutal...

You either love that type of level system or you don't (and probably prefer Oblivion's milquetoast "everyone is the same level as you").

It sounds as if you just don't like third person melee games, which is fine, but that doesn't automatically translate into the combat in W3 being bad.

News Comments > Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed
23. Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 13:51 Creston

Here comes the Blizzard nerf bat...

36. Re: Witcher III: The Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Released Jun 1, 2016, 00:04 Creston

Red wrote on May 31, 2016, 19:19:
See I didn't find any of that intuitive. It felt like combat was trial and error memorization of what counters what for whatever arbitrary reason.

How is that different from pretty much every other game, though? The Dark Souls/Bloodborne series, which is hailed as the pinnacle of melee combat fighting, is endless deaths until you figure something out?

And then I always felt clunky trying to execute the various actions. I didn't feel like my FPS skills were relevant, more like I needed awesome spreadsheet skills to kick ass.

Not sure why your FPS skills would be relevant to a third person action game , but in any case, once you learn a monster's tell for their attack, it becomes fairly trivial to dodge them. (similarly with parries against weapon attacks). But yes, this does take a few hours to learn. When I first went up against a group of drowners, I got slaughtered. The second and third time, ditto. It wasn't until the eight or ninth group that I realized you can't parry them, and have to sidestep.

Now I go up against 9 drowners, and it's just basically a Yuen Woo-Ping fight scene.

With a typical first-person shooter, reflexes and environmental awareness enable you to dodge in an organic manner, not because you timed the appropriate dodge-mechanic button press.

I'm sorry, that statement makes no sense. In an FPS, you dodge by hitting left or right strafe at the right time to avoid projectile X. In the Witcher 3, you dodge by hitting roll/sidestep at the right time to avoid attack Y. How are they any different?

The first few times you try to dodge said projectile in an FPS, you're probably eating it because you need to get its timing down. Nobody beat the Cyberdemon on their first go in the original Doom.

In the Witcher 3, you learn the tells of monsters so you can dodge them. It may take a little longer (mostly on account of the incredible amount of monsters there is in the game), but how is the principle any different? You still need to hit the right button at the right time, or eat a missile/claw.

Your weapons have a familiar purpose making it intuitive in what situations each would be effective.

Which you learned over X amount of time of playing FPS games, and because most/all devs stick to the same general 'knowledge' when it comes to FPS games, right?

And you can actually see what's going on because it's ranged combat, not melee where the FOV just doesn't work well and aiming/targeting it awkward.

It's harder to see in a third person game, yes. The aiming/targeting complaint I don't really get, because Geralt aims in the direction he's facing. There is no auto-lock like someone proclaims earlier. You swing in front of you, and if a piece of the monster is in the path of your swing, you will hit it. In fact, the hit collision detection in Witcher 3 is phenomenal.

I don't like saying it's bad. But it certainly isn't my cup of tea.

Which is fine, obviously. I'm not saying you HAVE to like it or you're a shit gamer or anything. Some people prefer combat A, some prefer combat B, some prefer combat C. To each their own.

But in what it is, which is third person melee combat, the Witcher 3 is fantastic. It's MILES better than, for example, the Assassin's Creed series.

That it's not better than Dark Souls/Bloodborne, eh, fair enough. I haven't played either of those, so I can't judge. But I was a bit frustrated with W3's combat at first too (killed groups of drowners by kiting them to the edge of how far they'd walk, then would Igni them to death with a lvl 1 Igni, which took fucking ages.) And now I seek out Elementals or such 10 levels higher than me, knowing it's a 15 minute battle where a single mistake will kill me, and fully expect to win the battle.

@ Quboid, I do think you're talking about the old movement style, which is indeed clunky. CDPR put in an alternative mode which is more precise, especially in combat, fairly quickly, I think with the 2nd patch or so.

4. Microsoft removes 260 character path limit May 31, 2016, 18:04 Creston

Nice! That only took, what, fifteen fucking years? Trying to explain to dimwit users why their 48 nested, tree'd subfolders won't work unless they map a drive to like subfolder 46 has been the fucking bane of my existence.

27591 Comments. 1380 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo