Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 29358 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft II Free-to-Play Launch
8. Re: StarCraft II Free-to-Play Launch Nov 15, 2017, 09:46 Creston

They poked similar fun at ME3's ending, IIRC.

I like it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Another Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Follow-up
26. Re: Another Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Follow-up Nov 14, 2017, 16:27 Creston

Ah, I guess that makes sense. From what I see on reddit, Origin support is being excellent as always, and processing refunds quickly.  

23. Re: Another Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Follow-up Nov 14, 2017, 15:29 Creston

Lol. Apparently EA removed the refund button for BF2

Don't have the pre-order, so can't verify, but hilarious if true.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. 18 countries had their elections hacked last year Nov 14, 2017, 13:34 Creston

17 by the US?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 14, 2017, 13:30 Creston

If it was up to Drumpf, we'd replace the census data with Twitter data.

News Comments > StarCraft II: How Wings of Liberty Owners Can Claim their Free Heart of the Swarm
1. Re: StarCraft II: How Wings of Liberty Owners Can Claim their Free Heart of the Swarm Nov 14, 2017, 13:28 Creston

Dammit, I just bought heart of the swarm like a month or so ago. Sigh.

20. Re: Another Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Follow-up Nov 14, 2017, 13:26 Creston

ViRGE wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 12:16:
Due to last-second changes to Star Wars Battlefront II's hero costs, I decided to hold my review, and won't post it until I have firm grasp on the new flow of the game. Electronic Arts clearly heard the uproar from the gaming community about the inflated costs of heroes, and slashed their prices by 75 percent.
[...]
For instance, during my review, completing the campaign earned players a unique loot crate that contained 20,000 credits. That reward is now 5,000 credits. A big change. What else is different? I need to find out
As much as I love beating up EA, in this one (and only one) case they're on the level. EA dropped hero prices by 75%. They then reduced the reward for finishing the SP campaign - and just the SP campaign - by 75%. None of the other rewards have been changed.

https://imgur.com/w5J0gHu

Apparently the idea with the SP reward is to give you the credits needed to unlock the hero from that campaign for MP. Since that hero's cost has been reduced by 75%, the campaign reward was adjusted accordingly.

That actually makes sense. On the flipside, it gets you a hero with no abilities, and they also (maybe this has always been in though) time gated arcade credit earnings now.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2017, 13:52.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased
29. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased Nov 14, 2017, 13:20 Creston

Slick wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 03:23:
So the squad thing I'm starting to understand.

When you spawn, you spawn with up to 3 other people, it's basically a makeshift fireteam. And if you stay in proximity to each other you get battlepoints a lot faster. I haven't tested out if VoIP works within that squad thing yet, but for the moment most people just fuck off and lone wolf immediately. But I think once players start figuring out that it's a good idea to stick together we'll see more teamplay.

It's just a new mechanic that I don't think I've ever seen before in a game, so people haven't gotten used to it yet.

I actually like that mechanic, but in the ~ 8 or so games that I played in the beta, this was never, ever made clear anywhere. So everyone shits off to lone wolf, because they're never TOLD that sticking together is better.

28. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased Nov 14, 2017, 13:16 Creston

Kxmode wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 00:42:
Comprehension is a rare commodity in a polarized discussion.

So is not being a patronizing dickweed, and it's something you fail at pretty fucking often these days. Enjoy talking to yourself and sucking EA's dick and "working" in your games while sitting in your little ivory tower gazing down on all the people who buy games to have fun.

10. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased Nov 13, 2017, 21:34 Creston

Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 20:55:
Creston wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 20:43:
Edit: AAAAAAND then I see the post quoted below by ninemil, where there is graphical evidence that earning credits is now TIME GATED?? Possibly only in Arcade mode, but even so, fuck you, EA. Fuck you and your "SIXTY DOLLARS ISN'T ENOUGH! WE MUST BLEED YOU DRY WHEREVER WE CAN!" attitude. Fuck you to hell.

Some of you have thrown reason out the window. SWBF2 multiplayer is basically an MMO without the persistence of one. So how is this different from dailies and time-gated material in other MMO/multiplayer games?

Oh, it's just an MMO? Well, clearly, that makes it all better then.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 13, 2017, 21:25 Creston

In the US, more than 4,000 people die in crashes involving trucks every year, crashes that nearly always result from human error. Thatís why the American Trucking Associations has embraced the new tech

Uh-huh. It has NOTHING to do with money, nosirree. They aren't even thinking about the bonuses their CEO and the profit for the shareholders. It's all about TEH SAFETIES OF TEH POOR DRIVERZ! Rolleyes

News Comments > Hitman TV Series Plans
1. Re: Hitman TV Series Plans Nov 13, 2017, 20:52 Creston

I didn't think the movie with Timothy Olyphant was all that bad, to be honest, though I only ever saw it once and I barely remember anything about it. Wasn't Olga Kurylenka in that?

It could be cool, but then I see it's Fox and Hulu, so eh.

News Comments > "One-Trick" Overwatch Player Bans?
1. Re: Nov 13, 2017, 20:50 Creston

You bought this game with 60 dollars, but if you play a hero we don't want you to play, we'll ban you. Is that it? Who gives a shit which character the guy plays??

Teamwork is important and should be considered when making your hero selections

So if everybody wants you to play fucking Widowmaker, you better play Widowmaker? Even if you suck at it? Even if you only have fun playing Torbjorn? That's fucking bullshit.

7. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Eased Nov 13, 2017, 20:43 Creston

For everyone who says that bitching never does anything, here's your proof that it does.

It's still a lot of credits, but that's actually manageable and achievable through normal play time, especially if you can make a lot of credits through achievements/gameplay.

I gotta say, as much as I'm on the "EA sucks and all they care is about bleeding people dry" bus, they've twice now made pretty big changes based off of people complaining. I mean, of course, they just do it because they know/fear it won't sell well otherwise, but even so it's beneficial change for us.

Now to get every publisher to swear off microtransactions forever. Fuckers.

Edit: AAAAAAND then I see the post quoted below by ninemil, where there is graphical evidence that earning credits is now TIME GATED?? Possibly only in Arcade mode, but even so, fuck you, EA. Fuck you and your "SIXTY DOLLARS ISN'T ENOUGH! WE MUST BLEED YOU DRY WHEREVER WE CAN!" attitude. Fuck you to hell.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 12 Underway
10. Re: Diablo III Season 12 Underway Nov 13, 2017, 10:17 Creston

Played Grim Dawn for about 40 hours. Very little skill use, most skills are just + to this, and + to that. So hope you enjoy holding the left mouse button, because that's roughly all you will be doing about 99.99999% of the time. My Inquisitior/Demolitionist uses exactly one skill, which is a heal. The rest is auto-trigger off of default attacks. It doesn't make for very varied gameplay.

(and before people go "Why didn't you pick any skills then??", there really just aren't that many active ones to pick from, and most of them are pretty pointless. Why would I activate a skill that does 500 damage when a normal gunshot does 2K?)

One thing I will say, the constellations thing is really cool, especially how you can unlock skills that can be assigned to active skills and then trigger off of those. For a while I ran with a sort-of hacked together build where every single item I had did a "on attack, 20% chance of fireball/meteor/deathstorm" etc, so I had like 8 of those, and I had four other skills proc from the constellations, so every shot basically turned into an epic fireworks storm on whatever poor schlub I hit.

It was surprisingly powerful too, typically those builds don't do at all well, but here it's something that's absolutely viable, at least well into act 5 where I last quit. So that was cool.

On the downside, loot drops are absolutely fucking atrocious in Grim Dawn. It makes Borderlands 2 look generous in comparison. I'm level 59 now, still haven't even SEEN a single Legendary drop. (they start at 50.) Most of my weapons and armor are leveled in the 40s, just because nothing ever drops. It's like they looked at Diablo 3 at launch, said "That's the kind of shit-ass drops we want, but WITHOUT an auction house to at least keep you going!" And then, even when something drops, it's for a different class, or a different weapon, etc. Blegh. It should've been called Grind Dawn.

I may go back to finish the expansion, which I bought before I realized was a miserly game it is. Sigh.

Story wise it's pretty naff, but at least the environments are cool and varied, and some of the Rogue-Like dungeons are really excellent (that outside area, port Valpur or something, is really awesome to play) and very terror-inducing.

I'm also personally not that big a fan of an ARPG that forces you to kite for 30 minutes to kill a boss, but that's just a personal preference, maybe some people really love that. Every planned boss character is essentially just a kite-fest to grind away their inane hitpoint bar.

Needless to say, I'm not as charmed by Grim Dawn as most people here.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2017, 10:11 Creston

NKD wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 16:47:
Saw this bumper sticker on reddit, thought people here would appreciate.

I'll vote for that!

News Comments > etc.
2. SW Battlefront 2 Nov 13, 2017, 10:10 Creston

Earn 300 credits per 10+ minute match, a hero costs 60K credits. I just rolled my eyes so hard I need a neck brace.  

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Nov 13, 2017, 08:46 Creston

necrosis wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 21:34:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 16:20:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 14:14:
There is no excuse for using twitter as a means of communication, ever.

On the one hand, this x 1000.

On the other hand, what's the alternative?
Make a real fucking blog.

Or a .plan file!

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Nov 13, 2017, 08:46 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 16:19:
Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2017, 14:07:
Cool, but it doesn't diminish the fact that Borderlands 2 was one of the grindiest games ever.

Wait, what? I've played through twice, and I never felt like I was grinding. I just did the levels as they came and progressed steadily til the end. I was able to finish without having to replay the same levels again and again.

I think that the one big complaint with BL2 is they dialed in the weapons so that your chances of getting some wildly crazy gun. In BL1 I got a pistol with a cyclic rate of 20 that was just so much fun. Never saw anything like that in BL2. In the middle of the Pre-Sequel now, but it's not as much fun for some reason.

You answered your own objection. Gun drop rates in BL2 were absolutely terrible. In BL1, people got awesome, fun guns. In BL2, you got boring ass shit that typically was badly underpowered.

Borderlands is fun when you're using awesome weapons to mow through entire pantheons of baddies. It isn't fun when every single baddie takes 9000 bullets to kill. BL2's drop rate was so terrible that most people had the latter experience rather than the former.

If they have to put a Golden Chest system in place just to let people get a decent gun because the stupid game doesn't drop it, you know shit is bad.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Ampere? Nov 12, 2017, 14:13 Creston

From everything we've seen so far, admittedly not a ton, Volta is an absolute beast of a chip. Why would Nvidia just bypass it completely other than the minor pro-card release they've done? Unless they're just renaming Volta to Ampere.

29358 Comments. 1468 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo