Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 28971 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 22, 2017, 23:45 Creston

Fuck John Deere, Fuck Apple, and Fuck every manufacturer who tries to gouge you up the ass with repair costs by making it illegal to do your own repairs. Die in a fucking fire, all you asshole senior management cuntsacks who came up with this fucking scam.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches
81. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 22, 2017, 23:36 Creston

Bioware must be going a little nuts over how this keeps happening to them.

- They make a great game with ME3, but all everyone talked about was the shitty "Mac Walters Masturbates About How Great A Writer He Is" Ending that lasted 25 minutes of a 40-50 hour game.

- They make a pretty good game with DA:I, with some excellent main quests, and most people only ever commented on the shitty MMO sidequests.

- And now they've made a really good Mass Effect game, and all everyone talks about is the (admittedly terrible) facial animations, and the 10 lines of dialogue out of 4000 that I've heard so far that are bad.

Then again, on the flipside, they also do it themselves. Vould, the ice planet, is SO MUCH more fun than Eos, and yet they make you slog through the dreary shit that is Eos first. (Eos gets better, btw, but the first few hours on that planet are just SO.DULL.)

And then you get to Vould, and it's just non-stop attacks on Kett outposts, awesome scenery, powersliding your Nomad on ice like you're Tanner Fucking Foust while running over dipshit Kett, cool side missions, an incredible base assault mission... And all I can think is, why didn't you do THIS planet first?? Why was THIS not in your early preview?? Why do you keep putting the boring shit first, game after game after game?? Had Vould been the planet in the ten hour trial, the conversation this past weekend might have been substantially different.

Stupid...

(On a side note, I guess several of the side quests in Vould can be classified as "MMO fetch quests". You'll kill Kett in an outpost, and find something that you either scan or blow up, and then SAM basically goes "drone drone waffle waffle you need to find five more of these, and then I will give you a waypoint to something cool."

Personally, I never bothered looking for any of these things, I just came across them as I kept taking out outposts, and imo a fetch quest is just a "go here, click X, return", whereas these have some pretty hefty combat in them. But if you consider that an MMO fetch quest, then yes, there are quite a few of them.)

Up to level 19 now, have the Vanguard 2 Profile unlocked, and I'm just a whirling dervish of death. Occasionally I'll get caught out, but most of the time it's just Charge, Bang Bang, KROGAN HAMMER, dual throw, and there's six dead Kett. 1 from the charge, 1 from the hammer, 2 from the shotgun and 2 from the Throw who don't yet realize they're now falling down a 10000 foot cliffside.

79. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 22, 2017, 21:53 Creston

Drayth wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 18:56:
As has been stated before, the Andromeda Initiative left Earth during the early ME2 timeline.

To everyone actually playing the game, I smirked when reading the ship computer entries on a datapad concerning the voyage that one year out it logged some "Anomalous readings" on it's sensors... heh.

Haha, didn't see that one. But yeah. "Ooops."

78. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 22, 2017, 21:52 Creston

NKD wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 19:11:
Oh I did run into one super cringe moment last night. I go up to some chick and she basically just blurts out "I'm trans and my name used to be Stefan." I was just like... uh.. oh okay... I don't remember asking...

Yeah, that was a major eyeroll. Typical Bioware "LOOK WE HAVE A TRANSGENDER CHARACTER! AREN'T WE COOL?! AND HE/SHE TELLS EVERY SINGLE LIVING ORGANISM THAT HE/SHE IS TRANSGENDER BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT TRANSGENDERED PEOPLE DO!"

That said, I agree, I'm having fucktons of fun with Andromeda. I'm on the ice planet, and the Kett have this monster mountain of a base there. The mission to take out that base took me roughly two hours, and it was balls to the walls action in this awesome, humongously large set piece. It's probably my favorite Mass Effect mission after the ME2 Suicide mission. It was fucking EPIC.

I played a few MP games today, it's roughly the same as the ME3 MP, only it seems a little slower and the maps are quite a bit smaller, which I really don't get. Why not take advantage of Frostbite and make MP maps huge, like the mountain I just assaulted? Instead you get these tiny-ass maps. It also seemed a little bit laggy.

It was still fun, though. I haven't once vanguard-charged out of the level yet either, so I can't wait to unlock my Krogan Vanguard.

News Comments > GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta
14. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 22, 2017, 15:14 Creston

Dentorro wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 11:02:
Why give 30% of your money to Valve if you can get it al for yourself? I can see more publishers in the future go their own route so they earn more.

Warner Bros has said they're next, basically. They're working on their own client. Sigh

Also I find it strange that noone ever mentions Blizzard's implementation via battle.net

Well, that only does blizzard's games, so it's not really a straight comparison to Steam/Origin/GoG, right?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2017, 10:49 Creston

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 10:45:
The gorilla reunion was something.

Yeah that was really cool.

73. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 22, 2017, 10:37 Creston

I really like how they've done the outposts. How you can choose between what type you want them to be, how different they get, how people react with regards to that choice, it's cool. Plus they're fun to walk around and listen to the tons of intra-NPC chatter.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 22, 2017, 10:06 Creston

So first whatshername at Yahoo, and now Peluso at IBM. Why do they have such a hatred for working from home?

Also, holy fucking fuck, IBM has 2600 fucking marketing people? TWENTY-SIX HUNDRED! WHAT FOR?

Steve Jobs was obsessed with creating unplanned meetings, going so far as to propose building all of the bathrooms in Pixar’s offices in only one part of the building to encourage them

Steve Jobs really was the biggest fucking asshole on the planet.

News Comments > Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows
1. Re: Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows Mar 22, 2017, 10:03 Creston

Somewhere, far in the distance, a poor Microsoft engineer is standing there with the tattered remnants of DX12, going "We're still here! Hello? Guys? Guys...?"

46. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 16:51 Creston

[SC]TherMight wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 16:27:
Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 15:08:
Well, Dragon Age MP was just Mass Effect 3 MP, so nothing has really changed much there.
Have to disagree, they really were not the same multiplay.
ME3 multiplayer had an element of danger and challenge to it that was never really there in DA multiplayer.
DA was a crawl through multiple rooms and you could often stay in the open and run.
ME3 was more compact and you were dead if you did not take down certain enemies fast together and mostly stay together.
ME3 itemization was better in a lot of ways but grindy in ways that would probably hurt it in today's age.
ME3's class and skill balance was such that someone with amazing skill could really shine and carry a group.
In DA it felt to me your individual performance mattered less.

Fair enough, I played maybe 20 minutes of DA:I MP, because I found it terribly boring. I was just stating (clumsily) that DA:I was derived from MP3, rather than Andromeda being derived from DA:I.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews
120. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 21, 2017, 15:17 Creston

DarkCntry wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 05:47:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 05:18:
DarkCntry wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 03:24:

The only negative I really have had is ship travel is tedious. I'm hoping as time goes on, Bioware will add an option to speed it up, even at the cost of loading screen increase.

Explain that one out a bit if you don't mind. Otherwise I'm not feeling bad about getting this from GMG for $45.

A non-skippable animation takes place whenever you move between planets/systems. Some of these can take up to 20 seconds to complete, and while 20 seconds seems short, it adds up after you're flying back and forth through the galaxy.

Most of them are there to cover up loading screens for ambiance, but mostly they get tedious after your first few fly-bys.

Yeah, they're loading screens. I just wish that on an M.2 SSD on PC, said loading screen would get cut short when it's done loading, rather than having to finish the whole animation because on the stupid Xbone that load takes 40 seconds. :\

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Mar 21, 2017, 15:11 Creston

Still no RDR HD. Sigh.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 21, 2017, 15:09 Creston

Seems legit.

Don't worry though, they can just tax the poor / middle class more to make up for it.

33. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 15:08 Creston

[SC]TherMight wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 14:44:
It hurts to not buy this game at launch. But I have many other games and... Sounds like it needs patches and more reviews.

If I could buy just the multiplayer I probably would do that. Though I am disappointed they didn't seem to have innovated much in the multiplayer. Seems like ME:Andromeda has become more like DragonAge multiplayer now?

Well, Dragon Age MP was just Mass Effect 3 MP, so nothing has really changed much there.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
16. TSA explains Mar 21, 2017, 14:59 Creston

"Because we're a bunch of fucking morons?"

Essentially what the TSA is saying here is that "Our pre-boarding screening is literally zero percent effective in finding explosives. So when we make you take your laptop out of your bag, and your CPAP machine out of the bag, and put them in separate containers, and send them through separately, yeah, that's all just bogus bullshit. We couldn't find that bomb if you put a big sign on your laptop that said 'This is actually a bomb'."

Imbeciles.

31. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 14:43 Creston

Kxmode wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 13:58:
I think they just ran out of time, but they have every intention of "really, really tweaking all those movements."

I'm pretty sure that Fabrice dude was talking about "really tweaking" all those movements for the gold release. Not for an upcoming patch.

So this was the end result of them "really tweaking" it. Wow, how freaking terrible were the animations before?

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2017, 15:07.

29. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 13:59 Creston

Bopper wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 13:55:
I was VERY letdown by the combat in the beginning. I am playing on hardcore so if I attempted to do anything other than hunker behind cover I would die very quickly. This led me to a strategy where I hide behind the same cover and pick off enemies with headshots.

I remember the ambush you are talking about. I ended up waiting inside one of the buildings, letting the enemies come to me one after another and headshotting them from behind a desk. It felt really artificial and I felt like I was cheesing the whole system. It would have been nice to be forced to mix it up, i.e. if they threw grenades or rushed my position, forcing me to regroup but it didn't happen.

The fiend was the saddest part, he happily parked his ass on the ground while I simply took pot shots at his head from the roof. I would move forward, headshot him, move back. He would shoot back with the acid projectile but he would always hit the roof, rendering the attack/threat completely inconsequential. While I did this I ordered my NPC buddy to attack him which resulted in her standing 6 feet away from it and do...nothing. She would just stare at it and the fiend was perfectly content trying to shoot me (or rather, attempt to shoot me) while there was a perfectly good target in front of him.

I hope this was a fluke or just bad luck with the AI/encounter. I might have to try upping it to the highest difficulty; your encounter sounded a lot more epic.

Still, it was fun

I replayed the battle after, and the Fiend actually CAME UP ON THE ROOF with me. That was a bit of a "OH SHIT!" moment.

And I could have tried to just headshot him and duck back, but I had no anti-armor weapons, so it would have taken years. I finally was able to kite him around the area and just empty like 30 clips of assault rifle ammo into him. I think I finished every single one of the ammo boxes by the time he finally went down.

23. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 13:08 Creston

Drayth wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 12:59:
What, did you guys all call in sick today??! Damn you!!

I wont be able to dive in fully till the weekend, but taking next Monday off for... planet surveying purposes...

I feel a strain of the Andromeda flu coming on. I hope it won't have too bad of an effect on my mass. :WINK WINK:

22. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 13:06 Creston

Sho wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 10:21:
Basically, since this is intended as the start of a new series in the franchise, I expect the negative reaction to force them into dropping a large patch later to fix the animations. I'll hold off for 3-4 months and see what shakes down.

That's SO much work, though. I mean, every single conversation takes an animator like 4-5 hours to get it right. So if they have to do that for (guessing here) 5000+ conversations, there's no way EA is going to sign off on that.

(Before anyone says, yes, they SHOULD have done this to begin with. I agree that the animations are, by and large, pretty freaking awful.)

21. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 13:04 Creston

Had a fun combat last night that really showcases the new vertical aspect and the jetpack.

I got ambushed by a bunch of Kett and a Fiend. Since the Fiend kills me in one blow on high diff, and I had nothing that hurt armor (I didn't expect something with armor to show up so soon), I jetpacked to the top of the office buildings I was near. I didn't want to stay on the ground and get ganked by the Fiend while I'm trying to take out the Kett.

The Kett and I would take potshots at each other, while the fiend was spitting globs of acid from the ground. Then, the Kett started jumping up to the roof. So I Vanguard Charged them off the roof every time they showed up, several times dumping them right near the Fiend who'd roflstomp them. It was pretty hilarious.

Then three of the Kett enforcers/heavies jumped onto the roof, forcing me off and wage a running battle with the now far better positioned Kett and trying not to get eaten by that frigging Fiend. That was not so hilarious.

But it was still awesome.

28971 Comments. 1449 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo