Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 27678 (Jedi)
User ID 15604
User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > It Came from E3 2016, Part 5
5. Re: It Came from E3 2016, Part 5 Jun 21, 2016, 16:34 Creston
I lol'ed at the Ars article when they came to Infinite Warfare.

"what's interesting is just how reminiscent Infinite Warfare is of other COD games."

That's INTERESTING? Funny, for the past ten years, it's been the main complaint against CoD, that it's literally just the same game again, year in and year out.

But apparently if the check from Activision is big enough, Mark Walton will happily crow how AMAZING it is that this feels just like another Call of Duty.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > It Came from E3 2016, Part 6
14. Re: It Came from E3 2016, Part 6 Jun 21, 2016, 15:45 Creston
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 02:31:
PS is a company? Someone tell Sony.

I've seen Sony Interactive Entertainment officially referred to as PlayStation, the entity, before. Here's their headquarters:

They might as well be. It's the only thing they have that actually makes money.
News Comments > Quoteworthy: Microsoft on Returning to Steam
38. Re: Quoteworthy: Microsoft on Returning to Steam Jun 21, 2016, 15:42 Creston
killer_roach wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 00:39:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 00:36:
I don't think he was making an actual appraisal. Just a number big and absurd enough that nobody could possibly pass it up.*

*other than dave chappelle

I know - I was just saying the reality was even a bit more depressing than the scenario he outlined.

You're both right. Sadly.
News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 21, 2016, 15:33 Creston
PHJF wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 10:03:
So the penalty for Ticketmaster is they have to give out coupons. My pizza delivery boxes all do that already, and nobody sued the pizza company.

As far as you know...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
27. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 21, 2016, 15:16 Creston
NKD wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 23:20:
You don't remember all the times you were distracted by a flashy sign, or some strange looking vehicle, or whatever else. You didn't cause an accident due to chance, and a lack of willful stupidity, not any personal skill.

I'll mirror what I said to descender. I'm sure I've been distracted, but it's never been in a situation where my full attention was required. As proof, I can offer that in half a million kms driven, I've never been in an accident that was my fault. I would like to point out that that is the EXACT SAME STATISTIC that Google and others use to demonstrate how safe their cars are. (and before you counter that they have a lot more miles, sure, but the large majority of those are miles driving not during rush hour, and in the middle of like the California desert. )

Traffic flow has momentum. A bunch of cars going down a freeway in zero-to-light traffic for example requires equipment malfunction, extremely profound lapse in attention, or willful recklessness for an accident to occur. There's no pedestrians, no cross traffic, no signals, and sometimes miles between having to start looking at signage. Everyone is basically on low-attention autopilot. It's very hard to stay attentive when you're not required to make any decisions. Ask any long haul trucker type about how much time they spent white-knuckled and attentive.

None of this disproves my point. My brain being on low-usage autopilot is still safe enough to not cause accidents. I still have enough willpower to NOT dig out my freaking phone at a time like this, unlike a huge percentage of all the idiots we see driving around us.

In city driving, there's a lot more shit going on, and a lot more that can go wrong. But there's also a lot more to distract. And you do get distracted. Everyone does. Literally no one is immune to being distracted.

And in city driving, I don't drive on low-usage autopilot brain mode. I drive in "pay attention mode."

[ You can snap yourself back to attention over and over but those lapses are still there and it takes very little for an accident to occur.

How long do you drive in the city? Like ten hours in a row or something? Is it that hard to just, you know, pay attention for 30-45 minutes?

Once more data is available, it will become clear that human drivers are vastly inferior to self-driven cars both in terms of performance and of safety. You can paint yourself as some kind of godly outlier, but you know it isn't true.

I don't paint myself as a godly outlier, because I don't HAVE to be. I have proven through 26 years of driving that I am a safe road user. Let self-driving cars be on the road for 26 years without killing someone, and I'll re-evaluate. Btw, again, right now self-driving cars are useless in anything but "nice, clear weather." so let's not start hailing them as these fantastic saviors of all traffic-related accidents just yet. The NHTSC (however their acronym goes) has yet to certify a single car as a class 4 autonomous vehicle, which is what we would need to get before they would actually be allowed on the road for normal use.

Your reaction is an understandable one, but it's basically the standard issue rejection of unfamiliar technology thing that's been going on since some caveman started a fire and another caveman shit his loincloth and ran away grunting the equivalent of "FOUL MAGIC!! YOUVE DOOMED US ALL!" Every time machines have come along to replace humans, theres a bunch of people who insist the machines can't possibly be more reliable than them. And they are almost always wrong.

Hilarity aside, I know quite a bit about self-driving technology, and it is precisely because I know about the technology that I refuse to put my life in the hands of one. If you feel perfectly confident about putting your life in the hands of a device made by GM's lowest bidders, more power to you. (I just hope you don't wind up another number in another series of massive lawsuits fifteen years down the road because GM/Takata found a flaw in their driving software and decided it was cheaper to just ignore it and pay the lawsuits.)

I'll just keep driving along, being safe. And don't get me wrong, I would actually love to use a self-driving car and gain an hour of my life back where I don't have to sit in traffic every morning and every afternoon. I just don't trust engineers to be able to make a car that can cope with the insanity of modern traffic.

Maybe some day they will, and I will change my tune. But right now, despite what Elon Musk promises, it's not there. It's not even anywhere near close.

(still, again, let's cram every idiot who causes an accident through distracted driving into one today, because the cars are at least already safer than those assholes.)

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2016, 15:23.
26. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 21, 2016, 15:04 Creston
descender wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 18:56:
The only bone I will pick is "in your 26 years of driving"... while you may not have caused an accident you can be damn sure there were times that you were inattentive, distracted or otherwise could have caused an accident if the situation was different. Confirmation bias in it's truest form. I know you think you haven't, but that is exactly the point. Fractions of a second here or there are all I'm talking about. You think you're paying attention, but you're singing a song or thinking about some shit at work.

Fair enough, but now you're really arguing semantics. I have never been distracted to the point where it interfered with me safely being able to operate a car. I don't think about "shit at work" when I'm going 70mph in heavy traffic and overtaking some guy who I noticed swerving around in his lane five seconds earlier.

When traffic is quiet and there's nobody really near me, I'm sure my mind has wandered. Even so, other than my mind wandering, the only thing I'm doing is driving my car. I don't pull out my phone to see what's new on twitter.

The AI is never doing anything except spending 100% of it's time driving the car.

The AI (and let's be honest, it's not a freaking AI.) also never has more skill to react to something than what was coded into it. So if it comes into a situation that has not been coded for, it's screwed. Where this is concerned, at least Tesla has a valid claim for their self-driving vehicles, because every Tesla sold is gathering reams of data on where and how they drive for the main company to use.

Furthermore, the self-driving software spends 100% of its time driving the car, until it borks. And since it's a computer, it WILL bork. Hopefully for the people in the car, it won't bork right in a potentially life threatening situation. To give a nice example, about two weeks ago, suddenly owners of certain Lexus vehicles got a nice little blinking purple screen on their touch screen displays. Nav didn't work anymore, in most cases the airconditioning didn't work anymore, and they had to all take them into the dealer for a hard reset to get their units functional again. Cause? A bad OTA update.

Let's hope that never happens while you're in traffic going 75 mph (or even the vaunted 100mph you're talking about.)

The goal of autonomous cars is not so people can sleep on the way to work, it's to automate every car on the road so that we can have travel speeds exceeding 100MPH and eliminate ALL traffic.

That will never happen in my lifetime. Self driving cars will drive at literally the speed limit (so 65-70) and no faster, and no government turdwallet is going to be the first to go "Hey, we can safely increase the speed to 100mph." Maybe 50 years from now they'll go there.

You, as cautious as you may be, will never be able to keep up with an automated system and would be a liability to every other automated car around you.

Not in my lifetime. (in fairness, I have always said that when I get too old to drive anything other than 100% safe, I want people to take my keys away from me. So at that point, I likely would get a self-driving car and just hope I don't become one of the BSOD deaths.)

The in-between period where both drivers and driverless cars co-exist will be a nightmare, because the automated cars literally have to be programmed to anticipate every stupid thing a human driver could do before people will deem them "safe enough".

Well, that period is going to be at least fifty years, if not more. It'll take two generational shifts, most likely, before there will be an entire population that considers self-driving cars normal, and will use them at will. My generation, for sure, will have a lot of leftovers who refuse to buy into it. (and again, I think the technology is fine and SHOULD be forced onto people who cause accidents because they weren't paying attention, and I think it could be fantastic for the elderly who otherwise can't drive. But I also know how god awfully terribly computers screw things up, and I'm not going to be the test case for some Google Car sending me careening into a semi head-on because some frikking sensor got dirty.)

If they (somehow, magically) cut the entire fleet over in one shot to automated, nearly every traffic incident would be eliminated because all cars would be in constant communication and any developing incident with any individual vehicle could be accommodated nearly instantly. Car 00003346530016 blows a tire and the AI moves every car behind it out of that lane within a second of it happening.

Multi-car pile-ups become a thing of the past.

In a utopia, sure. In reality, that mass switchover never happens, because literally the entire GDP of the entire world couldn't pay for it to happen, nor could the production capacity of the entire planet even come close to filling 1% of the amount of cars that are required.

Furthermore, let's get real, this is corporate America/the world we're talking about. All of these cars are going to come with proprietary bullshit that won't talk to model A, B, or C from manufacturer, D, E and F.

Btw, I'd like to point out that so far, self-driving cars:

A) Don't work well in the rain.
B) Don't work for shit in the snow/fog.
C) Don't really work well on not-well-defined roads.

So yeah, if we switch over tomorrow, I guess we'll have a lot of vacation days due to rain.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2016, 15:21.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2016, 18:35 Creston
nin wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 17:02:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 16:12:
I bought a Nissan Altima in 2008 with a manual, it was tough to get. I think that might have been the last year they were available. I don't think there's a car now that costs less than $60k I'd care to own which comes with a manual.

I've been pricing lately (Honda, Hundai, etc), and everything I've seen here in the US is 1K more for automatic...

It's becoming more and more rare. There's just not enough demand for it. The large majority of the US driving populace can't drive a stick, so why offer cars with manuals?

Since the advent of "flappy paddles" (aka column shifters / paddle shifters), I'm firmly in the automatic camp myself. During normal driving to and from work (and standing in traffic twice a day), I just have it in automatic. No having to clutch and declutch and clutch and declutch and clutch etc.

Then, when I feel like driving for fun and taking my car through its paces, I put it in Sport+, and control the gear with the paddle shifters. Works just fine, as long as you can mentally keep up with what gear you're in. Plus, the paddles shift about three times faster than a manual does anyway.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2016, 18:30 Creston
descender wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 17:20:
They will simply never be released to the public until the error rates are low. Those failures don't actually have to be all that low to be several magnitudes better than human drivers.

If only human drivers were held to the same standards. You say you wouldn't trust an AI car... I don't trust people.

At the very least the AI car is never going to be checking it's cellphone while driving a 2 ton missile into the back of a school bus. There are obviously ways for autonomy to fail, but they are dwarfed by all of the reasons a human doesn't pay 100% attention to driving 100% of the time.

Traffic around me is outside of my control. Whether I am in self-driving car or I'm behind the wheel myself, if some bitch/asshole sits there texting WHILE checking on their fucking kid in the backseat and swerves into me, there's nothing I can do about that.

For myself, however, I know damn well that when I drive, I focus on driving, nothing else. In 26 years of driving, I've been in two accidents, both blatantly the other guy's fault. I will trust myself over some Google/Tesla engineer's code.

I can no longer accept other people on the road nearly killing me and my family because of their own inattentiveness, aggressiveness or lack of driving skills.

Which is why THOSE assclowns need to have their licenses revoked, and be stuffed into a self-driving car.

Human driving ability will never change, every day they hand the keys to some new 16 year old schmuck that can now drive 60+MPH because he demonstrated the ability to park a car without hitting a curb.

The driver's license exam in the US is a fucking joke. 99% of the people that get their license here would never pass their test in most countries in Europe. Here in OK it's basically parallel park (why??? There's 500 trillion parking spaces here!!), drive 25 through a residential area, and take 3 turns while making sure to hit your indicator. Never go onto the highway, never face a difficult intersection, nothing. It's actually too benign to call it a joke. It should be a fucking crime.

Private ownership of autonomous cars will probably only last a few decades until they become another public utility, just like water/power/internet/etc. I see corporate fleets being the first widespread adaptation. Instead of giving people company cars or subsidizing public transportation, you'll buy a handful of autonomous cars to pick up and drop off your employees every day.

Possible. I think companies like Uber etc will reap the major, major benefit of it (not incidentally, Uber is a massive backer of self-driving technology,) and several of the main car manufacturers are betting heavily on it. GM outright bought a ride-sharing company so they'd have things like that in place when the self-driving ball really starts rolling.

However, all that said, I think it is at least ten years out, despite Elon Musk's claims that Tesla will be ready in two years.
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 20, 2016, 18:21 Creston
Ecthelion wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 14:39:
Creston wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 12:57:
HBO Now down for GoT.

You think you know all about it, do you? You know nothing, Creston.

These aren't the droids I'm looking for?
News Comments > Different Steam Top 10
21. Re: Different Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2016, 18:18 Creston
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 15:04:
So why do people want half life 3 so badly?

I think a lot of the talk / mentions is just for shits and giggles. Half Life 3 is basically the new Duke Nukem Forever.

There may still be people who really care, but I doubt it's all that many. Valve undoubtedly realizes this too, so they think why bother making a game that time has passed by?
News Comments > Different Steam Top 10
20. Re: Different Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2016, 18:16 Creston
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 10:47:
1/3 of Steam is assigned to correcting the top 10 list. 1/3 to VR development. Remaining 1/3 works on Steam Support, ignoring talk of HL3 and counting the money.

Oh, that's rich. Tears, Jerry. Tears.
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 20, 2016, 13:48 Creston
SimplyMonk wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 13:29:
Fully automated cars can't come soon enough. Would pay anything to get an extra hour or sleep while driving too and from work.

Personally I would never get one (I support computers for a living, and I see the fucking bullshit they do every single day, so there's no way I'm going to trust my life to one of those pieces of shit), but as soon as Class IV autonomous vehicles are here, we need to get one very simple law on the books in the US:

If a person is in an accident (their fault), and the cause of the accident is "distracted driving", their driver's licence is immediately revoked, and the government trades their car for a self-driving one. No more fucking driving privileges for all those FUCKERS who can't put your FUCKING CELLPHONES DOWN.
News Comments > Fallout 4 Console Mod Theft Protection
35. Re: Fallout 4 Console Mod Theft Protection Jun 20, 2016, 13:06 Creston
VaranDragon wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 03:43:
I don't get what the outrage is about. Is it about mods being distributed under someone else's name? Other than the authors' I mean? Seems like much ado about nothing, people who really care about shit like that will make the effort to find out who the mod authors really are, and those who don't will never even bother to look anyway. So yeah 1st world problems of the utmost degree, people should stop caring so much about "Me, Myself and Mine" and maybe just chill out for a bit instead of being so fucking uptight about their internet "rep" and their goddamned vanity.

Yeah, let's just have someone steal something you worked for for 1000+ hours. Why worry about it? Let's all share everything and sing kumbaya.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Console Mod Theft Protection
34. Re: Fallout 4 Console Mod Theft Protection Jun 20, 2016, 13:04 Creston
Jerykk wrote on Jun 19, 2016, 20:54:
Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2016, 17:59:
I realize the mod theft thing isn't easy to guard against, but this is just some plain jane bullshit method. Essentially what they are saying is "Only people with a Steam account can steal mods."

Well, seeing as how there's only 100 million or so Steam accounts, I'm sure this will make a huge dent in the theft...

You have to own a copy of Fallout 4 on said Steam account as well. I imagine that rebuying FO4 every time your account is blacklisted would get pretty pricey and be enough to dissuade most mod thieves.

It never seems to dissuade people from cheating in online shooters, but in any case, would Steam ban you for stealing a mod that's not really even related to Steam? I somehow doubt it.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2016, 13:02 Creston
Morgan19 wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 09:59:
WaltC wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 09:55:
From what I read...doesn't apply, though, as the Jeep was found in *neutral* and running... without first putting the transmission into park, imo.

But that's exactly what the recall was for.

...due to a confusing shifter that owners often inadvertently left in neutral instead of park.

Damn. I wonder if he never took it in for the recall. Still, it's an incredibly sad story, and a horrifying way to die.

News Comments > New Turtle Rock Studios IP
11. Re: New Turtle Rock Studios IP Jun 20, 2016, 13:00 Creston
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 12:51:
Verno wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 12:42:
nin wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 11:02:
Yeah, I always chuckle about the folks that bought into that one. There was a guy here who dropped $100, right off the bat...

Eh whatever, dude was just excited. You've bought into plenty of stinkers too.
Not half as excited as the guy who almost dropped a grand on some space game.

I think the top SC contributor is in the boat for like almost 25 grand or something?
News Comments > New Turtle Rock Studios IP
10. Re: New Turtle Rock Studios IP Jun 20, 2016, 12:59 Creston
Now, Turtle Rock, make sure to announce at least fifteen DLCs and a season pass before you announce anything else about the game, mmmkay? Also, sell the game for $60, then charge for every single thing extra.  
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 20, 2016, 12:57 Creston
HBO Now down for GoT.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 20, 2016, 12:56 Creston
A THIRD of Valve is now doing VR??? Half Life 3 VR Confirmed!!!!!
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2016, 12:55 Creston
Task wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 10:02:
Who would be liable for damage or injury then if the auto car is at fault? Or two auto cars colliding?

Everyone is essentially still waiting on the law/the government to decide, but it's widely expected that the liability will shift to car manufacturers, and that insurance will be included in the purchase price.
27678 Comments. 1384 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

Blue's News logo