Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 29618 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 11, 2017, 10:06 Creston

Solid security there, T-Mobile. But then again, there are no consequences to not giving a shit about security, so whatever, right?

"T-Mobile has 76 million customers, and an attacker could have ran a script to scrape the data (email, name, billing account number, IMSI number, other numbers under the same account which are usually family members) from all 76 million of these customers to create a searchable database with accurate and up-to-date information of all users," Saini, who is the founder of startup Secure7, told Motherboard in an online chat.

"Could have" Uh-huh. How about we assume that they HAVE?

Edit : Oh look
UPDATE, Oct. 10, 5:14 p.m. ET: After this story was published, a blackhat hacker who asked to remain anonymous warned Motherboard that the recently patched bug had been found and exploited by other malicious hackers in the last few weeks.

Surprise surprise.

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2017, 10:18.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 11, 2017, 10:00 Creston

"Shit, people keep complaining about us taking money from Russia. I guess we have to actually DO something about it now. GAWD!"

Thanks Google. Way to be on the ball.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2017, 09:59 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 08:49:
It's great that we've moved from DLC to microtransactions to even more poorly disguised gambling. No longer do we have to worry about compelling narratives and immersive adventures. Sorry Geralt, you need to pay 8000 redpoints to unlock that chest with a Silver sword. You can exchange $5.00USD for 3999 redpoints, act now!

The gaming industry fucking sucks. It's not "just business" anymore, its openly exploiting customers with addictive behavioral problems. I love paying $60 for an incomplete game with upsale bullshit in it, fucking wonderful. Don't even give me that retarded "just ignore them" argument either, their mere presence influences design and you know it. They wouldn't put it there if they didn't expect it to make money and any corp can justify its actions with profit motivation so fuck off with that shit. Heading that one off at the pass because I'm so sick of fanboys defending this horrible practice.

Loot boxes need to fucking die.

Well said.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Season Pass and Free Content Outlined
9. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Season Pass and Free Content Outlined Oct 11, 2017, 09:46 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 09:19:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 22:51:
As a general rule, I find that season passes are worth about a third of their asking price. So in this case, $14. The only exception thus far was the Witcher 3 season pass, which was a fantastic deal.

In general I've found season passes to be a poor deal for the consumer. The content is either sparse, disappointing or sometimes they don't even release everything due to lack of sales.

Holy shit, who did that?

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Oct 10, 2017, 22:42 Creston

Because it was a bad movie?  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Fuck Equifax. Oct 10, 2017, 22:41 Creston

Of course they will give out your salary history. Heck, I'm sure they will happily give out SSN as well. Oh wait, they already did.

How every employer happily handed over salary history to them, without ANY kind of agreement from the people whose details were being made public, and without ANY kind of fucking "Hey, what??" from the government is just fucking sickening.

And even know, all those cocktoads in Congress are like "Well, you know... Equifax does give us a lot of bribes serve an important function."

Let's set all of them adrift on the ocean.

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended
5. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 12:10 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 11:19:
And people thought the Shadow of War loot boxes were bad, the ones Battlefront II has are fucking insane.

Yeah I didn't pay any attention to them in the few matches that I played, but it's truly crazy how pay to win it is. Skipped.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2017, 12:23.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released
13. Re: Console FoV Oct 10, 2017, 11:56 Creston

DarkCntry wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 10:07:
Hell though, I'm just surprised the first reply wasn't someone complaining about the lootboxes despite them being wholly inconsequential.

Are they, though? From an ArsTechnica article on loot boxes:

Multiple pre-release reviews of the game have confirmed that its "100 percent" completion state is locked behind an end-game mode called Shadow Wars, which hinges largely on players' ability to recruit "more powerful" allies in the game. To do this, players must use the game's loot-box recruitment system, and reviews indicate that this is tied to a random number generator. Your probability of unlocking a worthy ally, therefore, goes up as you open more loot boxes. Doing so by simply using in-game credits takes a lot longer than opening up your wallet.

:-shrug-:

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended
2. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 10:41 Creston

Haha, that tweet's funny. Good job on EA to play along with it.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 10, 2017, 10:39 Creston

Tom wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 01:51:
Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 23:33:
Oh well. Like I always said, if someone wants to trust their life to Google/Tesla's/GM's lowest-bidder software engineer, they are more than welcome to do so. :)
So you're ok with one of those things crashing into you then?

Not much I can do about that, can I? I can't keep them off the road. Bit of an apples and oranges thing there.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Oct 9, 2017, 23:33 Creston

{PH}88fingers wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 18:42:
What? Guess you guys haven't been paying attention.
20 years?

from last week:
Ars reporting on googles waymo

Now I'm not saying this is going to happen this year, or as wishful thinking, but to go from this to 20 years away.. cmon..

edit- new article from Today...
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/10/it-sure-looks-like-waymo-is-getting-ready-to-launch-in-phoenix/

The fact that our government is so lackadaisical with safety regulations that Google feels that it's nowhere-near-level-5-autonomous car can start a passenger service is just terrifying. That car of theirs is going to fucking kill somebody. Nobody has yet solved the bad weather problem, or the bad road conditions problem, and yet Google goes "HAI GUYS TAKE A RIDE IN OUR TAXI SAFE SAFE CHEAP CHEAP!"

Blegh.

Level 5 autonomous will eventually make it, but Elon Musk and Google are blowing assloads of smoke by pretending they have cars ready to go. Radar / Lidar and cameras simply can't deal with the weather problem. In that the GM guy is correct. To get to true level 5, every car would need $50K-$100K in equipment right now.

Oh well. Like I always said, if someone wants to trust their life to Google/Tesla's/GM's lowest-bidder software engineer, they are more than welcome to do so.

From the article :
Waymo's cars have had persistent problems navigating left turns, according to Efrati, especially when there's no left-hand turn arrow to control oncoming traffic. Waymo cars struggle to navigate cul-de-sacs. Large mall parking lots also pose a challenge, since these private properties might not be well represented in Waymo's 3-D maps.

Sounds great! Book one now!

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens
54. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 9, 2017, 17:27 Creston

Slick wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 15:57:
I should also point out that the context where i said "it's easy to get heros" I was playing the 8v8 infantry mode, not the 20v20. The big maps I feel useless, but the small one I can control a lot easier, and the heros only cost 3000 not 5000.

I wasn't calling you out specifically, it's a very often heard comment about BF2, especially in previews, and I think it's definitely a bit overblown. It's NOT super easy to get heroes. Like I said, in the few matches I played, I only ever saw a couple per match. On the one hand I kinda dig the change from having to try to get a spawn token, but on the flipside, only actually good players will get to play as heroes now, while the mediocre / bad people will get stuck with 2 shitty classes and two decent / good ones.

Didn't get to try the 8v8 map, didn't even see it in the menu. Doh.
I've uninstalled it, needed the space on my SSD, but I'm definitely hopeful for the SP campaign. If it's good, I'll definitely get this.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 17:22 Creston

*raises a bottle to BN*

Salut!

nin, time to come back, buddy!

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 9, 2017, 17:22 Creston

Stop racist ads? They make money off those! They're corporations! What do you mean they have to stop?! THIS IS AMERICA!

#CorporationsCanDoWhateverTheyWant

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Oct 8, 2017, 14:28 Creston

Why aren't we going after Rick Santorum? The imbecile.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 17:51 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 15:00:
Zipper Merging in Traffic Seems Rude but Research Shows It Is the Best Approach.

I remember reading an article about this a couple of years ago. Even though I know it's the most efficient way, it still pisses me off when people cut.

I admit I always cut, but unlike 99% of the drooling mouthbreathers here in Tulsa, I can actually drive, so I just coast along the main line waiting for the line to accelerate, then I smoothly slide into one of the inevitable gaps that happens when a line of cars accelerates. Nobody ever has to brake for me or is hindered by me doing this, and yet people still get pissed.

Most of the idiots who "cut", of course, try to merge in when everyone is braking or when everyone is already standing still, thus causing clumps and delays.

MERGE WHEN THE LINE IS EXPANDING, NOT WHEN IT'S CONTRACTING, IDIOTS.

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens
50. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 7, 2017, 13:54 Creston

Downloading it now. I gotta admit that I WANT this to be awesome, because I badly need some good Star Wars gaming.

Edit : So... eh. I suck badly at the galactic battleground (or whatever it's called) mp part, mostly because I can't figure out why sometimes I can see enemies as outlines through buildings, and other times I can't? So most of the time I wind up getting killed by people I never see.

Then you respawn, which takes 5-10 seconds, followed by 20-30 seconds of running to get back to where you roughly estimate where the action is, 30 seconds of running around trying to find something to shoot or defend, only to get killed again by something quick, and repeat. I guess that's the bane of all mp shooters, but it does seem as if you spend an awful amount of time just waiting and running, rather than fighting. I'm sure that ratio is skewed much better if you're actually good rather than a schlep like me, and I think that's always kind of been the scourge of the Battlefield/front series.

It also seems as if the Naboo map, at least initially, is too large for a 20vs20 match? It seems pretty empty at times. Once you get to the palace part of it the action is far more intense because it's a few small corridors.

Heroes are definitely brutal, especially Darth Maul and the Hero robot, they murder with impunity. But for all the "oh it's so easy to get them" talk, they still cost 3000-5000 BP per use, which really isn't a trivial amount of BP. In the four matches I played I only rarely saw a hero here and there, and it mostly seemed to be the same few players who had them, so it's really not the "Everyone gets heroes!" thing they're trying to make it out to be. Only once did I get close to 3000BP. Though again, I suck.

I tried to do the starfighter one, and there weren't enough players to start it. That doesn't bode well for that mode when even in a free open beta on a Saturday afternoon, nobody is playing it...

The ancillary modes seem alright, arcade was decent fun, and there does seem to be a LOT of stuff to do beside the main mp mode, though most of it is locked away in the beta.

I also really couldn't figure out what the point was of "leveling up?" Does it even get you anything?

In any case, this will rise or fall with the single player for me. If it's a good, meaty 8-10 hour campaign, I can see myself getting this and enjoying it. If it's the typical 5 hour EA shovel affair, then I think there's plenty of other things coming out that I will enjoy more.

I will say this, it played super fucking smooth on High on my ancient-ass rig with a GTX970 at 1080p, and it looks phenomenally gorgeous. I really wish I would have gotten to play the Starfighter battles. Will try again tonight maybe.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2017, 17:44.

News Comments > GTA Online Adding Modes and a Bat-Tacular Car
2. Re: GTA Online Adding Modes and a Bat-Tacular Car Oct 7, 2017, 12:36 Creston

I remember a time when this game was about crime and heists and such, instead of basically now being HotWheels Online.

So what's their plan for RDR2 Online? Within six months it'll be Minecraft?

News Comments > Press X to Not Die Released
4. Re: Press X to Not Die Released Oct 7, 2017, 12:35 Creston

J wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 04:35:
Are you dead?

I... don't think so? IT WORKED!

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins System Requirements
18. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins System Requirements Oct 7, 2017, 00:43 Creston

I have one question: Was the port done by Ubisoft Kiev? If so, it's going to be garbage on day one, and will take at least six to eight patches to become something resembling stable.

29618 Comments. 1481 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo