Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 27596 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Elder Scrolls VI in Development
73. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 14, 2016, 20:37 Creston

ItBurn wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 18:31:
What?? FO3's quests had multiple ways of doing them. You could be an a-hole and all that. In FO4, there's no choice(other than the big main quest choice) and you have to be the good guy.

Granted, FO4 misses a lot of the "you can be evil" options, but in general there's more ways to do quests, and there's no such shit as the quest in Little Lamplight, where the fucking kid refuses to open the gate for you, even if you're the evilest bastard the wasteland has ever seen, and you would have no qualms just shooting him in his little shit face.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Overwatch Hits 10M; Launches Balance Patch
1. Re: Overwatch Hits 10M; Launches Balance Patch Jun 14, 2016, 20:31 Creston

Hot damn, that's nuts.

68. Re: Elder Scrolls VI in Development Jun 14, 2016, 18:30 Creston

Razumen wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 18:26:
Megatextures are a good fit for an open world game,

I... don't think that's true?

66. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 14, 2016, 18:29 Creston

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 18:13:
Creston wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 18:04:
For the record, once you got power armor and plasma weapons in Fallout, you would steamroll everything in your path as well. But there it was obviously just 'great writing?'

Edit : Apologies, I thought I was replying to Scottish, not you, Beamer. The Fallout One comment was more directed at him.

Hey, at least you don't find that power armor and plasma rifle in the crater of a bomb that didn't actually explode, all while asking people if they've seen your father, "a middle aged guy"!

Haha, fair enough.

You'll get no argument from me on Fallout 3's writing. It was abominable. I still loved the game, just because the exploration in it was so much fun, but the quests were absolutely fucking terrible. They HAVE gotten significantly better in FO4, though.

News Comments > Dead Rising 4 Announced
3. Re: Dead Rising 4 Announced Jun 14, 2016, 18:27 Creston

Look, we've given MS a TON of shit over the years for their 'support' of PC gaming, but they have just announced three (four?) major AAA titles that would have been exclusives last year, and said they are coming to the PC.

Yes, it's a UWA/UWP (whatever) and only on Windows 10, but they ARE going to be on PC, and I think the "buy once play wherever" thing is also to be applauded as a good measure, especially since it will allow mp crossplay. (more controller peasants to frag!)

So, for my part, good on ya, MS.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Net Neutrality Jun 14, 2016, 18:10 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 14:55:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 12:03:
Always nice when the government actually gets something right... Net Neutrality ruling.

It's a good ruling but it will get appealed to the SCOTUS.

That's fine, since that's where it has to go anyway. No law of this kind is ever settled in the US until SCOTUS rules on it. It makes me wonder why we bother with the bullshit of first having some district peon judge rule on it, then an appeals court, before finally going to the people who need to decide.

60. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 14, 2016, 18:04 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 16:36:
Broken Mechanics:

Oblivion - you can break the game by wearing too much Chameleon armor. This isn't exploiting anything, it's just wearing too much armor.

Skyrim - you can exploit the game and make super armor so powerful that you're invincible. This, I feel, was an exploit, whereas Chameleon armor was not.

Also, removing athletics from Skyrim was frustrating. Bethesda really doesn't understand how much more fun it was to find new places when you could leap 10 feet in the air and wiggle back and forth. It made walking long distances weirdly satisfying. Yes, I know a ton of us exploited that by keeping the game on and jumping while watching a movie or something, but being able to leap around was just... satisfying.

You realize that your 'satisfying' athletics experience was another 'broken game mechanic' as you describe it, right? Why is spending the effort to get crafting to 100% and getting all the obsidian ore needed for Daedric armor (and then getting enchanting to 100% and freshly dual-enchanting said armor) to become night immortal somehow a broken mechanic, but getting Athletics to 100 so you can literally jump outside levels and over combatants etc just part of the normal gameplay experience? This makes zero sense. They're both end-game abilities. They require massive amounts of effort to reach. Why the duality in how they are viewed?

I will give you the Chameleon armor, that was just plain borked. Of course, everyone hails Morrowind as Bethesda's champion, where in Morrowind you could (eventually, as an end-game ability) enchant so many layers of armor and items that you truly became a God. Equipping an amulet with permanent fly so that 99% of all creatures in the game couldn't do anything to you anymore was a little OP too.

So is it really broken, or is it just an end-game mechanic where they ALLOW you to become ultra OP?

For the record, once you got power armor and plasma weapons in Fallout, you would steamroll everything in your path as well. But there it was obviously just 'great writing?'

Edit : Apologies, I thought I was replying to Scottish, not you, Beamer. The Fallout One comment was more directed at him.

59. Re: Elder Scrolls VI in Development Jun 14, 2016, 17:56 Creston

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 15:46:
Creston wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 13:38:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 12:10:
My guess, Witcher 3 came out and they were like "Shit, we need to really up our game"

I'm sure they took note of many things in Witcher 3 (hopefully especially on the quest writing front, though FO4 has significantly better written quests than Skyrim), but again, it's a ridiculously unfair comparison. Skyrim came out in 2011 and had to run on the shitty Xbox 360 and the even shittier PS3. Witcher 3 came out in 2015 and had to run on the PS4/Xbone. It's a night and day difference.

I wasn't comparing it to skyrim. It sounds like you are? From what I've gathered, and it's an inexperienced conclusion since I have not played it, Fallout 4 stayed true to being a fallout setting but overall not that much in terms of quality that witcher 3 delivered in terms of story/dialogue. Which is same time frame.

Sorry, I thought you were comparing it to Skyrim. True, Fallout 4's top quests can't touch the Witcher 3's top quests, but all in all, Fallout 4's quests are substantially better than Skyrim's, so it's not as if Bethesda totally ignored all the complaints they got from Skyrim/FO3.

What I was saying is they saw what set the new "bar" and now they need to work on making it on the same spectrum (maybe better) which will take quite a bit of time. Remember, this is a full year after Witcher 3 came out that these statements are being made.

I seriously, seriously doubt that Bethesda is delaying a new Elder Scrolls game because Witcher 3 was a great game. This is a studio whose games sell 8 million + copies, and whose last Elder Scrolls game sold 36 million + copies. They're not going to lose sleep over CD Projekt Red. Have they played and analyzed it? Sure. But they did not suddenly scramble and rewrite chunks of their own game because of it.

News Comments > Just Dance VR Prototype
4. Re: Just Dance VR Prototype Jun 14, 2016, 14:58 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 14:50:
Creston wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 13:52:
Fuck and Yes ^ 2!!!!

Admit it, you're just stoked for the Biebs.

And I'm ALL about Wanko Ni Mero Mero, ESPECIALLY in a three minute sensory experience.

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Trailers
9. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Trailers Jun 14, 2016, 14:54 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 20:31:
How the fuck do you hack a VW Bus or old Camero?

THRU TEH CLOUD MAJICS!!!

News Comments > Crackdown 3 for Windows 10
16. Re: Crackdown 3 for Windows 10 Jun 14, 2016, 14:52 Creston

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 07:15:
From the videos I've seen, the cloud dependency kicks in when needed, and they showed some extreme cases where they rigged a segment of the city with explosives and had 4 players with overpowered guns running around, it ate up 11 cloud servers to handle the workload. Not sure how often the PC would roll over to cloud servers, but it seems pretty seamless. The question at that point is how much bandwidth does that eat?

It's just math, so negligible. I think a bigger question is "how much latency is it going to introduce." If it takes 100ms to get the setup over to the cloud servers, they take 50ms to calculate it, and it takes 100ms to send it back, that's a noticeable hiccup in your gameplay.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: PS4 games will be 'an awful lot prettier' on PS4K, says Sony Jun 14, 2016, 14:37 Creston

nin wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 14:04:
Creston wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 13:55:
Sony is full of crap. If I pop my Uncharted Remastered collection into the PS4K/Neo, it's going to look exactly the same as it does on the current PS4, because that's what it's been coded to look like. It's not going to magically get new art assets all of a sudden.

Getting upsampled to 4K (or whatever) is going to be barely noticeable when the game was designed for 1080p.

RTFA Creston!

Neo won't automatically improve existing PS4 games, however, rumours say. Instead, if developers choose to make use of the additional power, they'll need to release a patch updating their game to Neo's spec.

It's precisely why they're trying to get devs onboard now, to have both versions available when the console ships.

Sorry, my bad. Can't read the article here at work.

In any case, they're still full of crap, because which dev, exactly, is going to spend tons of money to release a "Make it prettier" patch for which they will see NOT A DIME OF MONEY? (since people who would get that patch already have the game, and the devs don't get any pennies from the sales of the NEO.)

I'm still skeptical even of the whole "there will be two versions of all games, one for Neo and one for the old PS4." Console devs make games for the lowest common denominator, always have, always will, so unless they go the PC route and make it a bunch of settings that you can switch between the two consoles, I just don't see it happening.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2016, 14:43.

31. Re: Elder Scrolls VI in Development Jun 14, 2016, 14:30 Creston

NKD wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 14:06:
Sounds like the reason TES6 is so far out is because of those two other big projects they are working on. It's not like they were gonna just gonna alternate Fallout and TES games forever.

Todd Howard's team is small. It's only like 100 people that work there, so anything else they're doing is probably done by a completely different team.

I think they're perhaps really going the different engine route this time, and it's just going to take a seriously long time to get the mods working back to the same level as they were on GameBryo.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2016, 14:00 Creston

'grats on the test results, Blue!  

9. Shelter dog Jun 14, 2016, 13:59 Creston

Jesus, kxmode. Right in the feels! I'm sitting here trying not to cry at work...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: PS4 games will be 'an awful lot prettier' on PS4K, says Sony Jun 14, 2016, 13:55 Creston

Sony is full of crap. If I pop my Uncharted Remastered collection into the PS4K/Neo, it's going to look exactly the same as it does on the current PS4, because that's what it's been coded to look like. It's not going to magically get new art assets all of a sudden.

Getting upsampled to 4K (or whatever) is going to be barely noticeable when the game was designed for 1080p.

News Comments > Just Dance VR Prototype
1. Re: Just Dance VR Prototype Jun 14, 2016, 13:52 Creston

Fuck and Yes ^ 2!!!!

News Comments > Forza Horizon 3 Windows 10 Confirmed
9. Re: Forza Horizon 3 Windows 10 Confirmed Jun 14, 2016, 13:51 Creston

|RaptoR| wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 13:10:
yuastnav wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 12:40:
I've been wanting a game similar to Test Drive Unlimited 2 and people in a thread a couple of years ago told me that what I'm looking for is Forza Horizon 2 (since The Crew is pretty terrible due to bad driving... why you would fuck up something like the driving in a racing game is beyond me).

Is Forza Horizon 3 going in a similar direction? If that is the case I'd need to upgrade to W10... which I really don't want to do.

On the other hand I did upgrade to Win XP back in the day so I could play X2.

The Horizon games are some of my favorites across all genres, and certainly best in class in racing/free roam!

Agreed. I had a TON of fun with Horizon 2. My wife at first enjoyed just being able to drive around in it (and wrecking MY cars!), but eventually she wanted to be able to discover her own roads and set her own speed trap times etc, so I created a new profile for her so she could have her own settings. Not much later she was actually doing races.

It's a really good and fun racer. It's not a sim, don't go looking for actual Forza levels of simulation in it, much less something like Assetto Corsa, but the open world and the cool stuff to do make it well worth it if you like driving games.

27. Re: Elder Scrolls VI in Development Jun 14, 2016, 13:40 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 12:33:
When he says that, he means next year. My money is on next fall/Xmas. It's already been 6 - count them 6 - years since Skyrim, no way the next one is going to be several years off, that's simply too much money to skip.

4.5 years. Skyrim came out on 11/11/11.

26. Re: Elder Scrolls VI in Development Jun 14, 2016, 13:38 Creston

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 12:10:
My guess, Witcher 3 came out and they were like "Shit, we need to really up our game"

I'm sure they took note of many things in Witcher 3 (hopefully especially on the quest writing front, though FO4 has significantly better written quests than Skyrim), but again, it's a ridiculously unfair comparison. Skyrim came out in 2011 and had to run on the shitty Xbox 360 and the even shittier PS3. Witcher 3 came out in 2015 and had to run on the PS4/Xbone. It's a night and day difference.

27596 Comments. 1380 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo