Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 30944 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month
20. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 2, 2018, 12:24 Creston

Desalus wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 10:18:
One thing I don't understand is why they put additional development effort into being able to walk around space stations and ships. As far as I remember from X Rebirth, the space station gameplay was by far the most hated part of the game. Now in X4 they mentioned being able to stealthily infiltrate stations in order to steal technology. What X fans really care to do this? This is a spaceship sim, not a stealth game. I would have preferred if they got rid of walking around space stations entirely and focused development elsewhere.

I believe they had said earlier that it's optional, you can bypass it if you don't want to. The thing about Rebirth was that there were a grand total of like 2 station models, and you could steal everything right in sight of a guard without any worry whatsoever. So the stations got super boring in a hurry. Here it looks like everything they've built is able to be walked on, so it should be more interesting to see from a discovery / immersion point of view.

If you can actually sneak and steal stuff, and have to worry about getting arrested, it might be cool for a bit. As long as you don't HAVE to do it. I have to admit the thought of sneaking to find intel seemed pretty cool, but I do doubt Egosoft's ability to pull that off in any kind of convincing manner.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 2, 2018, 12:19 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 10:24:
This really smells like Early Access Rebirth 2.0 all over again, if a game were finished you wouldn't show a trailer with placeholder art.

I didn't mean that ALL of it was placeholder, there's just some pretty low-res textures here and there. But yeah, I know the humanoids aren't placeholder, they're just going to, AGAIN, be shitty because nobody at Egosoft has apparently ever seen another human being.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 2, 2018, 11:02 Creston

Hey, for all the shit Amazon's been (justifiably) getting lately over their work conditions and abhorrent pay, this is a good move. A lot of their workers essentially just got like a 50% pay raise.  

News Comments > The Witcher Author Demands Additional Royalties
4. Re: The Witcher Author Demands Additional Royalties Oct 2, 2018, 10:57 Creston

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 10:24:
Kind of his own fault he didnt get much out of his original deal with CDPR. He basically sold the rights for peanuts, thinking nothing much would come of it. If I remember correctly he declined royalties and instead opted for a fixed sum as he believed that the games would be trash and would fail miserably.

Precisely this. He didn't want royalties, he wanted everything up front. Now he sees that the Witcher 3 has sold like 15 million copies, he wants money.

He's just bitter that the game made his property far more famous than his books did.

He's already written a new book (really not very good at all. Most of the book Geralt is trying to find out who stole his swords. Sigh...) and has the Netflix deal, this is just him being greedy.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 2, 2018, 08:54 Creston

Trust the cops to take a problem of their own making and turn it into yet another opportunity to turn into Big Brother.

To our knowledge, no solution to this problem existed

How about you don't go in guns blazing, assholes? How about you stop militarizing law enforcement? How about you DON'T shoot a guy in his pajamas when he opens the door?

I read this fantastic quote from a former soldier not too long ago, where he explained that being sent overseas into a military combat zone and running the risk of dying is part of the service, and part of the sacrifice you make when you sign up to be a soldier. And he then asked why that sacrifice apparently no longer exists for police officers, in that their own personal safety has now become the #1 paramount issue in their daily work, to the exclusion of all other considerations?

Do you feel threatened? SHOOT TO KILL! Rolleyes

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 2, 2018, 08:49 Creston

SlimRam wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 04:53:
I worked residential house construction for almost 20 years and I bet this piece of shit couldn't fall off the edge of a roof, land in a scrap pile, dust itself off while laughing about it, and STILL work a full 12 hour goddamn day in 100+ degree heat.

Well, it would if you would just help it get up.

Also, I vote we name it HERPES.

News Comments > GOG.Com 10th Anniversary Giveaway Selection
18. Re: GOG.Com 10th Anniversary Giveaway Selection Oct 2, 2018, 08:46 Creston

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 08:31:
Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 08:24:
Anyone else have that vote page show up in Japanese for them?

Well... less manga pr0n for you, Sir!

What?? NO!

13. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 2, 2018, 08:32 Creston

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 05:30:
I'm callin' it now: This fucker is gonna be fuggy as buck.

HAWT TAEK ALERT!

12. Re: X4: FOUNDATIONS Next Month Oct 2, 2018, 08:30 Creston

Holy shit, that came out of nowhere. Other than one video like last year, there's been nothing about this, so I'm quite a bit worried that this is a "Shit, we're out of money, let's just release it before the Xmas period!" move.

I will get this, but not at release. They burned me too much with Rebirth. (which, after they finally fixed all of it, is actually a pretty decent game.) Even so, it's X, I love X, and I will play, but I'm going to wait a few months until they've fixed 80% of all outstanding bugs, and there's only 500 bugs left.

I mean, what else am I going to play in March? Anthem? Rotfl

Edit: I like how it looks (placeholder graphics notwithstanding). I REALLY like the new station builder, it looks like you're going to be able to build some really freaking awesome things with that.

I'm also glad they finally decided to just skip the main story, since it was typically pretty terrible, but on the flipside I do worry that every mission will feel the same now, as so far Egosoft has never been able to develop a random mission generator that feels anything more than a "Fly to point A, kill B". So I guess we'll have to wait and see how that's going to work out.

Finally, even after 15 years, they still haven't hired a single guy who can make a decent humanoid model? I understand it's not the focus of the game, but for fuck's sake, guys. All your races' models look like shit. They have looked like shit since the days of the original X. How can you look at this in 2018 and go "Yeah, that's fine"??

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2018, 08:44.

News Comments > GOG.Com 10th Anniversary Giveaway Selection
16. Re: GOG.Com 10th Anniversary Giveaway Selection Oct 2, 2018, 08:24 Creston

Anyone else have that vote page show up in Japanese for them?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2018, 09:13 Creston

Also, sheesh, that poor kid who couldn't speak for six years, and all it took was a simple procedure. Thanks, pediatricians and speech therapists who couldn't be bothered to take the ten seconds to look under the kid's tongue. Way to take care of your patient.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2018, 08:42 Creston

I gotta say, after voting for him, Giant Meteor 2016 sure is a big disappointment. And now here's his brother, Skullie 2018, and same deal. :\

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Oct 1, 2018, 08:39 Creston

Yup.

There needs to be a simple penalty for companies. For every account that's breached, you get fined $10000 per offense. Watch how fast these "Oh yeah, 90 million accounts got breached. Oopslulz!" events disappear. Because THEN all of a sudden there's money to implement good IT security.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
22. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 1, 2018, 08:28 Creston

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 1, 2018, 02:35:
Self driving cars don't make sense to me, we should be putting resources into smart roads. You don't need crazy complex AI for a road to manage the cars on it and all of the variables that come with that. The problem is that once you've centralized this problem, all of those patents for autonomous cars are worthless. There's just too much money in the current flawed approach.

Well, that, and if you made smart roads, how would you get human drivers to obey the commands of the smart road? They already don't obey the commands that are currently on roads. (I will readily admit I don't do this myself.)

Plus, how unfathomably much money would it cost to turn every road into a smart road?

21. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 1, 2018, 08:25 Creston

NKD wrote on Oct 1, 2018, 03:07:
Creston wrote on Sep 30, 2018, 21:36:

I can go on and on, obviously, but I think the gist is clear. Don't get me wrong, btw, 99% of human drivers don't see all of this either,

And every driver thinks they are in the 1%.

Sadly, yes. I agree wholeheartedly that 99% of the drivers on the road SHOULD be replaced with AI, but the technology right now is absolutely not ready for it, no matter how badly Elon Musk likes to bleat that his Teslas can do so "in six months."

20. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 1, 2018, 08:24 Creston

Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2018, 22:46:
Except when all vehicles are AI controlled. Than there won't be any more tailgating, insane lane changes, speeding, etc., think Minority Report. Eventually the government will mandate any new cars on the road will have to be AI network after critical mass is reached.

Correct, but this will take 50 years to achieve AFTER the technology is ready for it. Because the only way to do it once the technology is ready is to simply stop giving out driver's licenses, so eventually all the human drivers will be phased out.

An alternative would be for the government to mandate everyone switches to an autonomous car, but this has two problems:

1) Few people will be able to afford to just switch when the government mandates it, so the government will essentially have to pay the cost. Maybe we can finance it with another tax cut for the rich?

2) If you think there'd be a riot if the government outlawed guns, wait until you see what happens when you tell current drivers they're not allowed to drive anymore...

9. Re: Sunday Mobilization Sep 30, 2018, 21:36 Creston

NKD wrote on Sep 30, 2018, 17:15:
The part he forgets: Humans are even worse drivers than the AI.

The reaction time of a computer with proper sensors is just too fast for a human to compete. They don't sleep, they don't stare at billboards, and ideally, they aren't wired to panic and do the exact wrong thing like humans often are.

Sure. But on the flipside, they (AI drivers) also don't anticipate. They don't come up to where an on-ramp merges onto the highway, and see the asswipe in his Mercedes 4 inches on the tail bumper of a semi on that on-ramp, and know "he's going to swipe two lanes to the left the second he can, and sideswipe me unless I speed up/slow down."

They don't see an asshole swerving from side to side in his lane and know he's likely fucking around on his phone and is thus likely to come sideswipe you when you try to pass him.

They don't see a semi with a huge trailer struggling to stay in its lane in the wind, and figure it's probably NOT a good idea to try to overtake them right in a corner where the wind would blow the semi into your lane.

They don't see, in their rear view mirror, yet another asshole monkeyfucking his way through traffic left right and center, and figure that even though that hole that's there between you and the car one lane over is really too small to fit that car into, the asshole is going to do it anyway, because clearly he's in a hurry.

In that same vein, they don't keep an eye out on the guy behind them, and judge whether that guy is going to be able to brake in time to avoid plowing into your trunk if traffic comes to a sudden halt. I've wound up in the median a few times in my life, but in every case, it avoided an accident (from the guy behind me slamming into me.)

They don't keep an awareness of an "escape spot" to move into in case shit hits the fan. Doesn't matter where that spot is. Left, right, onto a shoulder, into a median. ALWAYS have a spot you can swerve into if you have to.

I can go on and on, obviously, but I think the gist is clear. Don't get me wrong, btw, 99% of human drivers don't see all of this either, because 50% stares right at the end of their hood, and the other 49% stares at their fucking cellphone.

But the few among us who DO keep an awareness of traffic around us at all time, specifically to avoid cocksuckers like the ones I mentioned above, should never be replaced with an AI.

Everybody else, though? Please get them off the fucking road. It'd be nice if I could make it through ONE commute without some idiot almost causing an accident near me.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 30, 2018, 15:44 Creston

Armengar wrote on Sep 30, 2018, 14:54:
so musk tweets a load of rubbish, company loses a bit of share price and he gets fined 20M and loses his seat. The president tweets rubbish, countries lose gdp and he gets applauded?

funny world we live in.

Yeah, except it's not funny.

News Comments > Assistant Accused of Stealing from Gearbox Boss
2. Re: Assistant Accused of Stealing from Gearbox Boss Sep 30, 2018, 15:43 Creston

"missing". Uh-huh. Anyone check Randy's garage for a new concrete floor, by any chance?

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2018, 20:58 Creston

Kathleen Kennedy has dirt on somebody. She has to. She has pictures of some high-up exec at Disney fisting a camel or something, so they can't fire her.

It is unbelievable how in the US the absolutely fucking INEPT just keep being kept on in their positions. Failing upwards is the US #1 motto.

30944 Comments. 1548 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo