Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 29186 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales
46. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 18:42 Creston

Flatline wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 18:07:
Wasn't this game in development for like years? I have this vague feeling like I heard Lawbreakers get announced like 2-3 years ago. It seemed an awful long time for a 60 dollar or whatever release.

It's 30 bucks, which is a very commendable price point, but even so, eh.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales
5. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 10:05 Creston

I'm sure some people are refusing to buy it because cliffyb has been a giant dick against PC players.

Some are refusing to buy it because it looks too twitchy or other gameplay related reasons.

I'm pretty sure most people refuse to buy it because they have Overwatch already.

News Comments > Starflight Remake Plans?
16. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 20:59 Creston

JoatrashFX wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 18:04:
Hello all. Long time (early 00s) reader but finally regged to post 'cause Starflight comes up every so often.

Welcome.

News Comments > Starflight Remake Plans?
8. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 16:31 Creston

What's inXile working on besides Wasteland 3? Is the Bard's Tale remake out already?  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 9, 2017, 16:30 Creston

What do you mean "COULD" monitor anyone via location data? Don't you mean DO?

News Comments > Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released
26. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 9, 2017, 00:03 Creston

If the whole permadeath thing turns out to not be true, then these devs are really freaking dumb. Why announce it's in there if it isn't, because all it does is make people NOT BUY YOUR GAME for something that's maybe not even true.

Way to kill yourselves there, fellas. Brilliant thinking. I'm sure your marketing peon is sitting there wrenching his shoulder askew trying to pat himself on the back.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 8, 2017, 23:59 Creston

DAMN YOU BILL BURR!! Shakefist

In all seriousness, back in 2003, password cracking was nowhere near at the level it was now. There was no such thing as a computer with a hundred RX480s in them that makes a trillion guesses per second. If your password got cracked, it was because it was too easy.

Substitions made sense for a while, until:

A) crackers realized everyone used the same substitions, and
(far more importantly) B) The LinkedIn hack happened, and suddenly gave crackers a database of ~ 60 million passwords they could put in their hash database.

With the power of brute force guessing at the current rate it is, and the leaps and bounds it will continue at, unless you can come up with some crazy sentence nobody else has ever used (and thus isn't in some random database), a password is always going to be vulnerable.

(and before the LastPass users jump at me, yes, I realize a 40 character randomized password is safe, but your LastPass passwords are only as safe as your master password, so the same thing still applies there.)

Biometrics aren't the answer either, because they're easy to fake, so I'm not sure what the solution really is.

My company makes me change all my passwords every month, and I have like two dozen of them. And they're always going "don't do an incremental password!" Well, how else am I supposed to remember all of them? :\

So, I give Bill Burr a pass. Now, that fucking asshole who invented the pop-up ad, he can burn in fucking hell.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 7, 2017, 16:20 Creston

Short sellers betting against those two companies have lost a combined $1.8 billion this year as Nvidia has skyrocketed by 57% and AMD has climbed by 16%, according to data provided by the financial analytics firm S3 Partners.

Good. Burn in hell, short sellers.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
1. Re: UK Sales Charts Aug 7, 2017, 16:18 Creston

Does nobody in the UK buy PC Games? So that the three Sims 4 sales then automatically tops the charts? There can't be that many people still buying the freaking Sims 4??

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2017, 10:25 Creston

I'm as geeked about the giant robot fight as anyone, but I still don't see how you make weapons that are powerful enough to fatally damage the other robot, and somehow keep your pilots safe?

Once Grant Imahara got involved, I figured they'd remote pilot it, but apparently not.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up
1. Re: Borderlands 3 Video Catch-up Aug 6, 2017, 10:17 Creston

I've seen that video before, could have sworn I'd seen it here.

FY 2019, so that's maybe somewhere next year? Cool. Now let's hope they shake up the formula a bit.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 4, 2017, 09:04 Creston

Bixby is literally just a broken button on my phone, that's how useless it is.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 3, 2017, 16:23 Creston

Machine-learning tools can create custom malware that defeats antivirus software.

Kind of misleading, since by definition all new malware defeats antivirus software, as the AV doesn't have definitions for it yet, and doesn't know what to scan for.

Though apparently it also gets by tools like Cylance, which is essentially an "AI" (Term used mega mega mega mega mega loosely) on the protect side of the story.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 2, 2017, 13:37 Creston

But not the ISPs, though! They are fine being just completely free.

Of course, the ISPs spend more money in bribes (Sorry, SCOTUS wants us to classify bribes as "lobbying" now) lobbying fees, so Bannon is basically just telling Facebook and Google that daddy needs a new pair of shoes.

News Comments > Battlestar Galactica Deadlock This Month
1. Re: Battlestar Galactica Deadlock This Month Aug 2, 2017, 11:34 Creston

Lots of terrible screen flickering on textures in that video. That does not bode well for something that's going to be out in 4 weeks.

Still, it looks pretty.

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed
57. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 14:11 Creston

I give it 3.0 dismissive wanks.

Looks pretty, though. In trailers.

News Comments > BioWare Montreal team and EA Motive Sitting in a Tree
5. Re: BioWare Montreal team and EA Motive Sitting in a Tree Aug 1, 2017, 14:09 Creston

Motive was partially the few people who worked on Andromeda who didn't get canned afterward from Montreal, so now they're just combining both teams again like two months later.

I guess if you have no games worth talking about, you can talk about how you split and recombine teams constantly to generate some news? This must be that year of "great innovation" EA was talking about.

Also, who exactly is highly anticipating Anthem??

News Comments > AMD Vega Graphics Cards and New CPUs Revealed
19. Re: AMD Vega Graphics Cards and New CPUs Revealed Jul 31, 2017, 17:40 Creston

NewMaxx wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 15:17:
Creston wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 13:57:
You will never be able to buy one of these at MSRP. Fuck crypto miners.

Miners won't touch this with a 10' pole. It uses 300W for 180W performance and HBM2, from what we see with the FE, is not superior to GDDR5 for mining. The 480, 580, 1060, 1070, and even 1080/1080 Ti will be superior due to power consumption efficiency. As this card is essentially a thicker Fury X we can deduce much from that.

That is actually a good point, I didn't think about the TPD and the cost/benefit ratio. Then again, I have no need for a 390W TPD card anyway, and all the ones I DO want are the ones that crypto miners are Hiring 747s for to ship

18. Re: AMD Vega Graphics Cards and New CPUs Revealed Jul 31, 2017, 17:38 Creston

1badmf wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 16:54:
Creston wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 13:57:
A new attack on the enthusiast gaming crypto-currency mining segment expected next month.

out of curiosity, why are amd cards so popular with the cryptos if nvidia are generally faster?

I think it's because of the parallel compute thing. Not sure exactly how it works, but for that particular work load they are monstrously faster than Nvidia.

9. Re: AMD Vega Graphics Cards and New CPUs Revealed Jul 31, 2017, 13:57 Creston

A new attack on the enthusiast gaming crypto-currency mining segment expected next month.

29186 Comments. 1460 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo