Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 27591 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2016, 17:55 Creston

I think some more people need to sue the shit out of Microsoft.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 29, 2016, 17:53 Creston

How would that thing even be remotely comfortable to hold?

Also, 70,000 bucks from 433 people? Holy shit people have a lot of money to burn...

News Comments > The Technomancer Released
6. Re: The Technomancer Released Jun 29, 2016, 12:46 Creston

Acleacius wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 12:30:
Damn, IGN gives it 4.9

Well, at least we know who didn't buy any advertising at IGN.

News Comments > G2A Planning Changes
63. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 29, 2016, 12:38 Creston

Orogogus wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 19:08:
That's just wanting the one thing, regional pricing. If everyone bypasses it then they don't have it at all.

But not everyone bypasses it. In fact, the large large large majority of people just buy their games through Steam. So the publishers whining about sites like G2A is literally them just whining at a small group of people who takes advantage of the fact that they (the publishers) want to have regional pricing.

I don't see where you're going with this have their cake and eat it schtick. If the municipal government wants a 40 MPH speed limit zone, wanting people to not mount radar detectors and blast through isn't some separate desire.

One literally follows the other. If you didn't have a speed zone, people wouldn't mount radar detectors. If you don't have Regional pricing, people don't buy keys off G2A. So bitching about people using sites like G2A, while you as a publisher insist on regional pricing is trying to have it both ways. If you want regional pricing, then a segment of the user market in the market you're trying to charge full price is going to take advantage of that.

Ergo, Latin, them wanting Regional Pricing and then bitching at the result of regional pricing—people using sites like G2A—is them wanting to have their cake (regional pricing) and eat it too (whine about people using G2A.)

I literally cannot make this any clearer, so if you still don't get what I'm saying then :-shrug-:

In any case, I don't think they brought up regional pricing. That was, like, Cutter saying there's no such thing as black market keys, only regional keys.

Possibly, but publishers have been bitching about GMG for well over a year, and of course completely ignore the fact that they themselves have caused sites like GMG to appear.

I feel like you're sometimes almost as bad as Cutter at skimming through quickly. The publisher is also the CC company's customer, and I put it in parentheses to clarify.

Ehm, no, the publisher isn't the one being charged the credit card bill for the stolen credit card number, unless it happens to be a credit card that actually belonged to the publisher that got used to buy their own game. The stolen CC number belongs to random joe schmoe in random craphole, Alabama. Joe Schmoe doesn't get charged for having his stolen CC# used to buy 5000 keys of some game.

Now, once the fraud is discovered, the publisher maybe doesn't get their money? I'm not really quite sure on that. But since they're just keys, technically they don't really lose anything. Once they banish the keys, they're out exactly zero dollars.

The publisher/retailer/merchant very often does eat the cost, and I'm almost certain they would in this case -- as is often pointed out, pirated software doesn't necessarily equal a lost sale. On that basis, I'd be amazed if the CC companies coughed up any money to game companies making a loss claim.

We're basically saying the same thing. I don't know how it works in the software industry, but in retail, if the CC company didn't act quickly enough to curb the stolen CC, then the retailer still gets their money, and the CC eats the cost.

I don't think the CC companies are telling them, or else there would be a lot more of that reported. My impression is that this kind of operation uses stolen credit card numbers, not physical cards, so if it gets through the fraud detection algorithm then it might not get flagged until someone notices the bad charge on their card, by which time the key might have been turned around and sold already.

That's possible, but like I said, how is that G2A's problem? That's the CC company's problem. If it never gets reported to the publisher, fair enough, then obviously they can't do anything about it, but I doubt it never gets reported. (if it never got reported, why would keys get revoked?)

In any case, I fail to see why everyone in the gaming industry is blaming G2A for something which:

1) Is out of G2A's control
2) for doing something that they (the gaming industry) themselves helped create. (ie, a market place that takes advantage of regional pricing.)

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 29, 2016, 12:22 Creston

tl;dr version : Symantec-Norton = Garbage.

54. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 18:25 Creston

ViRGE wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 17:26:
descender wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 12:03:
The results of complaining about or taking advantage of the regional pricing are not going to be cheaper prices. The result will be going back to region locking and the total elimination of services like G2A.
Can we please just do this? I'm getting tired of watching the largely American user base here complain that they deserve charity pricing on their games. It's shameful.

The "largely American user base" here that you bitch about so far mostly consists of Cutter and CJ, neither of whom are American. But hey, keep shouting from that pretty little ivory tower of yours. Is it cold up there?

53. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 18:22 Creston

Orogogus wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 15:21:
Those look like the same way to me. What's having it "one way" look like? You forbid people but don't actually have a cheaper price? You have multiple prices but let people pay more as an option?

They want to have regional pricing and completely abolish sites like G2A, GMG etc that bypass regional pricing to a certain extent and sell games cheaper to the typically 'rich' regions. This really doesn't seem that complicated?

Action like what? The credit card company isn't going to do jack, their natural inclination is going to be to put it all on their customer (the publisher).

Ehm, no, actually the CC companies tend to be pretty good with eating the cost of stolen credit cards themselves. (That they pass this cost back on their customers through higher fees, eh, but that happens in literally every single industry.) If your CC company pushes the cost of your stolen CC back onto you, might I suggest really, REALLY quickly switching to a non-asshole CC.

What else do you think they can do? The illegal activity is the stolen credit cards, and they're not going to be able to touch that.

Obviously they need to be notified by the CC company that so many keys were bought with stolen CC, and then they need to ban those keys immediately. Absent quicker action from the CC company there is little they can do of course, but bitching and whining about a site like G2A which solely exists BECAUSE of their "have cake and eat it too" regional pricing is just pathetic.

News Comments > Godus Dead?
2. Re: Is Godus Dead? Jun 28, 2016, 18:14 Creston

Anyone who gave Peter effing Molyeneneneyuuxyxy money should have realized they'd have been better off just setting it on fire.

News Comments > Overwatch Adding 21:9 Ultra Widescreen Support
32. Re: Overwatch Adding 21:9 Ultra Widescreen Support Jun 28, 2016, 14:16 Creston

descender wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 17:08:
A regular 144hz monitor just shows you more images, faster. It's not that you "won't have flickering or tearing", it's that it will be happening so fast you can't see it anymore. Your inability to "see it" is what allows you to turn off vsync. If you paused an image on your screen it, you would still actually see "tears" as the card and the monitor are not always in sync, but at full speed you can't tell anyway.

G-Sync and it's brethren change it so the monitor doesn't update until the card pushes a frame, so the monitor only ever displays full frames. This eliminates tearing entirely because the reason for it is no longer occurring (screen and card updating a frame at different times). You will still get flickering with g-sync on if the framerate drops too low (somewhere around 30fps IIRC?) but if you are spending that amount on a monitor, your PC better not be dropping frames like that :p Overall you just get a much more stable image.

TBH I'm not sure there is a real reason to get anything faster than 120hz with G-sync though, unless your eyesight is really good.

Thanks man

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2016, 13:43 Creston

Is the Technomancer on PC too? Anyone know? The one single trailer I saw a few days ago (for the first time) looked pretty promising.

Edit: nm, it's actually mentioned below.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. 30th anniversary of Labyrinth Jun 28, 2016, 13:17 Creston

Dear God, I'm so old.

News Comments > System Shock Specs
8. Re: System Shock Specs Jun 28, 2016, 13:08 Creston

An i7, 16GB of RAM and a GX970, for a game that has a total install footprint of 2GB? What needs all that horsepower, since it clearly isn't the massive textures etc?

33. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 13:04 Creston

descender wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 11:31:
It actually makes perfect sense. Do you think running datacenters for content delivery in those countries costs the same amount that it does to run one in the US? When given the option of barely selling any games for full price in a region that cannot afford it vs selling some games for a slightly lower price... literally no one would choose option A.

Correct. However, the flipside of that equation is that people will use sites like G2A to buy keys at a lower price. And the whining about that is coming from the publishers, not the customers.

The publishers want to have it both ways. They want to have regional pricing AND to forbid people from the 'rich' markets from buying cheaper keys.

So let's just say that the stuff we have now is a good enough compromise for both sides, and the only thing that needs to be focused on / combatted is the use of stolen credit cards to buy keys and dump them on a site like G2A. Quite frankly, I don't really even see why that's G2A's problem to begin with. That's on the CC companies and the publishers to take quicker action when they realize there is fraudulent activity.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 27, 2016, 16:49 Creston

ItBurn wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 13:23:
She(and I) never wanted Win10 and the upgrade cost us valuable hours of our life and stressed us out. So, now we're left with a shittier experience than we had before and we'd need to spend a bunch more hours in order to configure it properly, especially to disable all the spying...
I hate Microsoft.

Sounds like you need to sue and get 10K cash.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer
30. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer Jun 27, 2016, 16:45 Creston

I liked the first one well enough, bar some tedious bits against certain types of monsters. Definitely keeping my eye out for the next one, but it's not big on my priority list.

News Comments > Overwatch Adding 21:9 Ultra Widescreen Support
29. Re: Overwatch Adding 21:9 Ultra Widescreen Support Jun 27, 2016, 16:41 Creston

I will admit I'm a bit of a nooblet when it comes to the tech behind monitors, and I'm looking for a new one, so I need some advice.

If I get a monitor with a 144hz refresh rate, doesn't that mean that if the game I'm playing runs at < 144 fps, I don't have any flickering/screen tear issues? But if so, what purpose does spending more money on getting a 144hz monitor with G-sync serve?

I want to get something where I can once and forever swear off vsync.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2016, 12:46 Creston

Task wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 09:51:
Also I'd love to see the Witcher book story brought to life, but I doubt it would happen on HBO :(, a shame since it's a beautiful & entertaining story dealing with the peripheral people of warring kingdoms.

Blegh. I'm in Tower of Swallows now, and it's so boring. I can't even remember the last time Geralt actually did some Witchering. For that matter, I think I haven't read about Geralt in about 150+ pages now, and for the last two books, he's just been stuck "trying to get to Nilfgaard / the Druids."

It genuinely feels like Sapkowski is just plodding along as stuff enters his mind, and he has no clue what he's doing. Combine that with the 487 different viewpoints he uses to tell one single thread of a story, and it's just a slog.

The two books with short stories were awesome. The first book about Ciri was awesome. The sorcerer civil war on Thanedd was awesome. And since then it's basically been a rapid run downhill into utter boredom.

The Witcher games are written ten times better than the books are.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 27, 2016, 11:59 Creston

It's funny, back when the Xbone was new and was so underpowered, a lot of people were saying "They should just build a new more powerful one."

And then they did!

What's going on in the world???

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2016, 14:59 Creston

Martin pressed: “You don’t ever have a day when you sit down there and it’s like constipation – you write a sentence and you hate the sentence, and you check your email and you wonder if you had any talent after all and maybe you should have been a plumber? Don’t you have days like that?”

This kind of goes with what I've said before at some point. Martin has all the symptoms of being bored to shit with his story. He's written all the cool stuff he wanted to write, and now he has to crank out the chapters in between that turn it into a story (and make it end), and those are the ones that making writing WORK rather than just something you do for fun.

In the end, he only has himself to blame, as he writes so much useless filler, it's no surprise he's gotten bored to tears with it.

3 chapters in 6 months can't even be called a pace, that's just fucking around and occasionally some writing falls out.

I'm glad the TV show has had the courage to just say "fuck it" and write their own stuff going forward.

News Comments > System Shock Remaster Becomes a Reboot
24. Re: System Shock Remaster Becomes a Reboot Jun 25, 2016, 10:20 Creston

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 20:11:
Can't say I'm that upset about this. System Shock was innovative for its time, but its level-design and gameplay hearken back to an era when FPS games were pointless mazes gated by find-the-keycard puzzles, and hasn't aged well because of it. Just adding some more polygons and shaders wouldn't have made the game any more palatable. With a reboot, they aren't quite as tied down. That's not to say I want them to go whole-hog and change everything, but I'm quite willing to let them make necessary changes to the levels and gameplay.

Now, if they ever get around to re-doing System Shock 2, then that's a different story. Graphics (and last few levels) aside, that game came as close to perfection as any and they'd better not screw around with it ;-)

To each their own, of course, but rather than having an actual layout of a space station (or at least, presumptive layout) you'd rather see layouts that make far less sense?

There were things that weren't great about the original System Shock (the UI, most notably, as it was a nightmare to use), but the immersion was unmatched. As someone at the time said, System Shock was Die Hard on a space station.

System Shock 2 was fun, but it never matched the thrill and the sheer sense of foreboding that the first one did, and its levels were no match for the awe of the first ones either.

27591 Comments. 1380 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo