Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 28701 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
28. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 13, 2017, 16:22 Creston

panbient wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 12:48:
I'm honestly starting to think there's something broken in the system that doesn't connect people effectively anymore. You can't accept a job that doesn't get offered to you. Do HR people google / facebook first then consider looking at a resume second now?

Erm, yes. In fact, most of them never even bother to look at a resume anymore. I argued about this with Beamer quite fiercely a few years ago, and at the time it might not have been as pervasive yet, but now it's basically 100% FB/LinkedIn. I specifically had to get accounts on both shit platforms just so I could find a job. (You were right, Beamer!)

Most HR depts just do nothing but scour FB all day long for "candidates."

Only now I'm 40 and graduated college twice in both French and English - which makes me look like a risky hire who won't stick around a minimum wage job.

At the risk of sounding like a major dick, but what career, exactly, did you envision with college degrees in English and French, if not English/French teacher?

I mean, you might be able to get a gig as an interpreter for the UN or something? I would imagine being French/English bilingual in Canada is a little "dime a dozen"?

But all it's ever gotten me is a heavier plate with a side of ass kissing for the same pay as some slacker who barely got through high school.

Yeah, where corporations are concerned, your English and French degrees are basically kinda pointless. Again, not meaning to be a jerk about it, but it's not exactly the kind of skills that translate into anything? I myself am actually fluent in three languages. I used to put that on my resume and on all my job applications, etc. Do you know how many times it was ever brought up in any interview or job offer or anything? Never. That's with 20+ different companies on three different continents. Nobody cares about what languages you speak, unless they are specifically hiring you as an interpreter.

And then what happened in the early 2000s? Oh geez, the IT bubble burst. Well why the hell did you study technology dumbass?

Wot? There's plenty of work in IT, but it suffers from its own issues with massive outsourcing and huge IT staffers like IBM firing tens of thousands of people, which leads to massive competition for the jobs that are available.

But *knocks furiously on wood* I've never been unemployed for longer than 3 months working in IT.

It might suck to hear but at least they're not being blamed for having followed the path presented to them.

If someone presented you the path of "get dual bachelors degrees in English and French!" then may I recommend you visit that person and kick him/her furiously in the nether regions until said region turns bi-lingual. Because that has to be the worst advice ever given.

Either way, our future is fucked.

Well, yeah. Even if we ignore all other factors, and we just look at population alone, we have more and more elderly people being forced to work through retirement because their pensions/401Ks/social security are being taken from them, while at the same time our population is still fucking exploding, and for every 100 people that are born, only like 12-13 jobs are 'created' in order to take care of them. The jobs eventually are bound to run out.

In any case, build a FB and LinkedIn profile with lots of "happy happy sunshine I'm such a great worker!" bullshit in it. Odds are good that some brainless HR FB scanner will see it and call you in. At least they'll be better odds than having a great resume.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 13, 2017, 16:08 Creston

I will readily admit that MS stuffing ads into Win10 is humongous bullshit, but I'm not seeing them anywhere.

In any case, it's time we do a kickstarter for the ublock Origin guys so they can make an adblocker for Windows, not just for browsers.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 12, 2017, 19:40 Creston

I still think it's so weird that Sony and MS to first deliver pretty underpowered new consoles, realize that they're underpowered, build new ones, and make these new ones go straight to (sorta) 4K, where they're again underpowered.

Why not let these things do every single possible graphical bell and whistle at 1080p and run at a rock solid 60fps?

It seems Scorpio may at least somewhat make a difference at 1080p? The PS4 Pro doesn't really do much.

Just stupid decisions.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2017, 13:28 Creston

El Pit wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 15:40:
So, I give up playing the Steam version of Shadowrun Dragonfall. I got stuck at the loading screen, no game save loads. I have tried several saves. The problem is not new and has not been fixed sinc 2014 (there are a couple of Steam forum threads dealing with the problem). Great job, Harebrained!!!! It seems the GOG version does not have the problem, and currently Shadowfall is 80% off at GOGs Spring Sale. Sooooo... shall I invest the few bucks and actually pay Harebrained even more money although they don't fix an old bug? Aaaaah... But I want more Shadowrun... DAMN!

Damn, that sucks, man. I'd contact harebrained and ask them for a GOG key. No reason you should have to pay again.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer
34. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer Mar 11, 2017, 12:46 Creston

So GMG has a pretty good 20% off deal, but say the release date is Thursday the 23rd? It's coming out on the 21st, isn't it?

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Free DLC Plans
3. Re: Cities: Skylines Free DLC Plans Mar 11, 2017, 12:44 Creston

Congrats Colossal! 3.5 million sold is amazing!

News Comments > Reservoir Dogs: Bloody Days Video Game Announced
7. Re: Reservoir Dogs: Bloody Days Video Game Announced Mar 10, 2017, 15:07 Creston

Because when you think Reservoir Dogs, you think action and shooting.

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
8. Re: Evening Screenshots Mar 10, 2017, 08:56 Creston

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 22:16:
Creston wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 22:09:
If we're talking about an actual, complete game, I'm going to go with neither.

problem with limit theory is that i thought it was possible.. or maybe like Fox Mulder "I want to believe"

its definitely one of the downsides of being a gaming fan that follows gaming news, because you hear about something and its like - oh yeh, that sounds cool as shit... and then the years slowly go by and then its like - oh damn, its just full of shit..

Yeah, sadly. I was hopeful this would turn into something cool, but I don't think it'll ever be anything. If I was Josh I'd just release what I had as a tech demo and call it quits. But then again I'm only in it for $20. I'm sure people who coughed up a few thousands bucks would probably be pretty pissed at that point.

News Comments > P.A.M.E.L.A. Early Access
6. P.A.M.E.L.A. Mar 10, 2017, 08:54 Creston

Don't break this heart of mine?

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
2. Re: Evening Screenshots Mar 9, 2017, 22:09 Creston

If we're talking about an actual, complete game, I'm going to go with neither.

News Comments > John Carmack Sues ZeniMax
8. Re: John Carmack Sues ZeniMax Mar 9, 2017, 22:08 Creston

Haha, love it. I can just imagine the looks of surprise at Zenimax. "He's suing us???"

Fuckers. Burn.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews
30. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 9, 2017, 16:51 Creston

Nullity wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 13:15:
Creston wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 12:53:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 12:34:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 12:10:
$700 for a card that is still not fast enough for 4k or high quality/resolution VR...

Buy two!

They don't do SLI anymore, do they?

Yes, but only 2. Any more than that may technically work, but is no longer supported and performance scaling is basically non-existent.

Ah, okay. Thanks for explaining.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2017, 12:54 Creston

Cutter wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 09:59:
Make America horny again! Grab them by the pussy!

That made me spit water all over my monitor. Thanks!

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews
15. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 9, 2017, 12:53 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 12:34:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 12:10:
$700 for a card that is still not fast enough for 4k or high quality/resolution VR...

Buy two!

They don't do SLI anymore, do they?

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings
11. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings Mar 9, 2017, 12:35 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 04:14:
Sho wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 03:53:
Didn't all previous games in the series have grain on by default?

As long as it's an option ... fine by me. I go forth and back on whether I like it, depends on the specific implementation too.
Yep, all the previous ME games have that option, and you can turn it on or off.

They did? I don't remember that at all... yay, getting old!

News Comments > Overwatch Custom Game Exploit Warning
1. Re: Overwatch Custom Game Exploit Warning Mar 9, 2017, 12:29 Creston

Why is your custom game even allowing XP if a player is inactive? Didn't you program it to do that? If so, can't you just program it to NOT do that, and make people play if they want XP?

I'm not sure why the scale is somehow

People abusing the shit out of it -------------- no xp in custom game mode!

with literally nothing in between?

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2017, 23:34 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 23:32:
He better not be gone too long, or I'll be the user with the most comments on Blues!

Bwahaha. Pfft.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2017, 23:32 Creston

Blue wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 21:05:
Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 20:24:
Hey Blue,

Can you see if you can email nin? He didn't set up the ability to email him through his user id. He's been gone for quite a while now...

I contacted him and was relieved to find out he's okay at least... he says he's taking a break, which is hopefully temporary.

I appreciate it, Blue. I was starting to get a bit worried. Thanks for checking up on him.

Hope you come back soon, nin!

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 8, 2017, 23:28 Creston

BUT IT WILL CREATE SO MUCH JERBZ!!!

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings
2. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Settings Mar 8, 2017, 23:26 Creston

Good to see a nice set of options, but why Film Grain? This isn't LA Noire, or Resident Evil. It's a sci-fi game...

28701 Comments. 1436 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo