Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 30267 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Drake doesn't take bullet damage Jul 9, 2018, 18:02 Creston

So then why visualize his "luck running out" with the age-old red screen that slowly fades? Why not come up with something else?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 8, 2018, 14:02 Creston

Saboth wrote on Jul 7, 2018, 18:53:
We'd already have self-driving cars if they AI didn't have to deal with humans who can't drive and disobey the law and don't follow logic and reason. If we replaced all human drives with self-driving cars instantly, we'd have probably a 1000% decrease in accidents overnight.

Then how would I get to work? A self driving car can't take me home, because I live in the country side with roads that have no clearly delineated lines. It's just a large slab of gravel. Current 'autonomous' vehicles can't drive on that.

How is it going to drive us around when there's the average Oklahoma torrential downpour? When it's foggy? When it snows? How is it going to deal with a rabbit's nest of one way streets? How does it deal with double parked vehicles? How does it deal with roads where traffic circumstances are unique due to whatever reason? etc etc etc etc.

Autonomous vehicles are NOT READY. Stop believing that they are. Stop listening to that lying shitbag Elon Musk when he keeps saying that his Teslas can do level 5 autonomy right now. They CAN'T. All autonomy is right now is a glorified lane-keeper and automatic-breaking solution. Good technology, for sure, but that's what it is. His blablabla about how it's driven 7 times more miles before a fatality than what the average human does completely and deliberately ignores the fact that said Tesla miles are driven 99.99% on well maintained and clearly marked highways, which is where the fewest fatalities already happen anyway, and it ignores the fact, again deliberately, that his Teslas don't auto drive on shitty-ass B roads, where the majority of fatalities happen.

I also like how, whenever an accident happens, Musk and Tesla are quick to bleat "It's the human's fault! You need to be alert at all times! Our system doesn't do the driving for you!"

But when it comes time to bleat how safe it is, apparently every safely driven mile is completely due to the technology, and said need for alert humans is never mentioned. Which one is it, Elon? Are the humans driving, or your technology? Because you're trying to fucking argue in your favor from both sides.

In order for autonomy to work, we need to stop with this "Well, if it kills fewer people than what currently die in traffic, it's worth it!" No, it isn't. If we try to switch to autonomy before it's ready, then a string of horrible accidents will follow, and that will kill the technology by completely destroying what little public trust there is to begin with, and nobody will switch. (and if you think getting a gun away from people is hard, wait to see how hard it would be to get them to give up their car by forced mandate.)

Autonomy needs to go to level 5, full automated driving in all conditions and every circumstance, before we roll it out. That's the only way to shift public perception on it. It needs to roll out, and be completely safe and capable in every circumstance. And even then it will take a generation before it takes over.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
1. 3.5 million unfilled cybersecurity jobs Jul 8, 2018, 10:31 Creston

Gee, I dunno, maybe offer more money, so people might be tempted to go into the field? Oh no, wait, what am I saying, that comes out of the CEO's bonus!

Instead, just keep offering shit pay for what is most likely the shittiest job in IT, then keep bitching that nobody wants to do that job.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Free Weekend Underway
16. Re: Destiny 2 Free Weekend Underway Jul 7, 2018, 12:09 Creston

MattyC wrote on Jul 7, 2018, 02:21:
I thought we had moved from a fucks-based to dismissive-wanks-based posting economy?

Lords knows I've been trying

News Comments > Anthem Gameplay Video
36. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2018, 00:50 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 17:32:
Only in 2018 the graphics are ridiculously better, people expect every game to be superior to the Witcher 3 in terms of story, and better than <insert your game of choice> in gameplay mechanics.

Hey, it's been freaking Bioware themselves who have been going with the whole "Anthem is like nothing you have ever played before" hype, only to then show off the most bog-standard shooter fare with gameplay and mechanics everyone has seen dozens of time before. Don't blame people for calling them out on their bullshit.

I think this game will be pretty mediocre fare that only offers pretty graphics, but at the same time I hope it does well enough that it won't kill Bioware outright, as I'd like to see if maybe this particular BW team can recapture the Mass Effect magic. And if Anthem tanks hard, I think that's going to be it for BW.

In any case, some articles I've been reading have some quotes from Mark Darrah that basically seem to contradict their whole "Oh, but there's tons of story in your hub! This will still be a Bioware game!"

Mark Darrah (Anthem's executive producer) on dialogue options: "I think we're only doing binary branching, as opposed to six [options], just because this is bringing in some different people and that can kind of be an intimidating thing."

Yeah, all that talking, man! All that lore. Who gives a shit about that. Let's get some pew pew pew up in here!

Then in a video later, he said "I don't see why anyone would ever roll another character."

:\

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2018, 01:31.

30. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 13:12 Creston

Darks wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 10:53:
I dont understand why people keep giving them grief over ME 3. They had nothing to do with making that game, sure, they outsourced it, but that wasnt this teams game. This is the same Dev team that created ME 1 and 2. They did not make 3. So you guys are comparing apple to oranges here.

We all loved the original ME 1 and 2 so, I know this is going to be a good game too. You can see the amount of work thats already gone into the game.

ME:A, not ME3. The same team made ME 1, 2 and 3. A different team made ME:A.

And sure, they've put a lot of work into it, that doesn't mean it's going to be a good game. This is so far out of their wheelhouse, and it looks like they literally just copied and pasted bits from 3 or 4 different games to come up with this "It's like nothing you've ever played before!*"

* By this we mean it's exactly like a ton of shit you've played before.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 6, 2018, 10:00 Creston

"The new peak pricing feature is aimed at providing additional flexibility for us and our users around popular movies and times for which there is limited inventory making us more money."

At least be honest about it, dipshit.

News Comments > 2018 Steam Top Sellers
11. Re: 2018 Steam Top Sellers Jul 6, 2018, 09:49 Creston

Jurassic World? Seriously??

22. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 09:11 Creston

Darks wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 08:34:
As for the dialog, some of thats most likely placeholder material for now. the game doesn't go into final polish until late Sept.

Yeah, that's what I said about Andromeda too. I'm pretty damn sure this is final dialogue, not placeholder material.

19. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 08:24 Creston

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 07:14:
Now, IF it had a hardcore mode, with trading for loot between people

They've already said there is no trading loot between players. Perhaps not even between your own characters. :\

18. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 08:22 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 02:53:
To be fair, it'd be virtually impossible to design a game like this around unlimited flying. That's why there's always an overheat/cooldown thing or finite fuel resources that you need to manage. Otherwise you live in the nightmare that is reigning in the folks who will abuse the fuck out of it without hindering the rest of your players who use it more moderately.

But there's no PvP, so how can it be abused? I mean, since they might as well have called this Iron Man:The Game, why limit the coolest thing Iron Man can do? Imagine if they put SAMs in the game, and they're one hit kill, so you have to fly through canyons like mad to try to shake them?

That seems way more interesting to me than the boring-ass heat gauge that fills in 15 seconds, you land for a second, and then you get 15 more seconds. God, could it BE any more bog-standard "You've seen this mechanism a million times before?"

"Anthem will be unlike anything you have ever played!"
- proceeds to show game like pretty much every other shooter ever released, with mechanics copied down to a T.

It's hardly a cut and dry limitation, though. Just in the first five minutes of this video they show how flying under a waterfall cools your jets and resets the time limit

Yes, but did you notice how that waterfall was EXACTLY at the right spot for him to cool his jetpack like a second before it failed? So to me that indicates that they have paths that you can take where the waterfalls are exactly placed to negate their stupid time-limit. It's like even they realized that it was a stupid mechanism, but they just couldn't manage to come up with anything else in their by-the-numbers shooter.

So if you want to keep flying, you likely will have to fly through these corridors rather than being able to just go wherever you want.

Also, I didn't even mention the annoying OVERHEATED warning literally in the middle of your screen.

and diving downward at a high speed does a similar thing with the extra air flow. So even ignoring the high likelihood of jet booster upgrades through items and/or skills, that type of stuff will no doubt allow you to stay in the air a pretty long time while still preventing stuff like testing the height limit of the sky box.

How much fun would it be to test the height limit of the sky box?!

Plus we're seeing the perspective of their heavy tank class, which as the voice over explains has sacrificed mobility for armor and firepower... How can anyone be so sure that the other, lighter suits don't have even more aerial movement ability?

Because we've seen another video of a different suit, and it overheated after ~ 15 seconds too?

Eh, I mean, whatever, but the initial reveal video kind of made it seem like there was no jetpack limitation in this game, and that was genuinely the one thing that I found interesting. The rest of this just looks dull as shit.

They're wailing away on that spider boss for like 5 minutes, and it's lost ~ 10% of its health. Yeah, I don't need another game where everything takes an hour to complete, and then some fucking rando fucks something up and you get to do it all over again.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2018, 08:37.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 6, 2018, 00:13 Creston

Verno wrote on Jul 5, 2018, 15:07:
They better not charge extra for HDR, its fucking metadata. The premium shit is already expensive enough.

I was gonna say, there's no extra bandwidth required for HDR, is there? It's just the stream saying "This part here is at 900 nits, not 200 nits"?

6. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 00:10 Creston

I like:

- The verticality in the map. It definitely looks very well built, should be fun to explore.
- The graphics. It's gorgeous. I'm still not convinced this is what the final game will look like (the basic JokeBox and PS4 will just choke on this), but it's beautiful.
- The jetpacks and the travel.
- The hilariously overdone facial animations. You just know some EA suit was sitting there screaming at Bioware's animators "YOU WILL NEVER MAKE US THE JOKE OF THE INTERNET AGAIN, NOW GIVE US SOME FUCKING DECENT FACIAL ANIMATIONS YOU LAZY FUCKERS!!"

I dislike:

- The god-awful, cringe-worthy dialogue. It makes Mass Effect Andromeda look like Shakespeare in comparison.
- The stupidly large damage numbers and font size 48 COMBO shit constantly overlaying the critter you're trying to shoot. That shit works in Borderlands, because it's not a serious game. This is apparently taking itself 100% serious, so why is that in there? Literally every shot does the same amount of damage, so why do I need to see four THOUSAND times that damage pop up?? (Also, why is shooting a rail gun into a lightning storm a combo? How does that even make ANY kind of sense whatsoever?)
- The combat and weapons seem bog standard and boring. Everything is a ludicrous bullet sponge, even minor-ass mooks. (good luck soloing this game. By the narrator's own admission, these are level 30 suits, so end-level, and they take FOREEEEEVER to kill anything.)
- The fact that the jetpack "overheats." Why? Why does there ALWAYS have to be some kind of fucking 'we know this is cool, but we're gonna make it so you can only use for ten seconds at a time because we don't want you to have too much fun!' bullshit attached to these things? The jetpack is what sets your game apart. Let people fly around for-fucking-ever! Who cares? Give enemies surface-to-air missiles to make up for it! Nope. 15 second jetpack bursts.

All in all, it just seems profoundly meh to me. Sure, the world is probably cool to explore, but everything you find in it is hostile to you and takes 487000 bullets to kill. Each. Yay?

The one thing that sets them apart, they limit the shit out of. They genuinely just have no clue anymore at Bioware how to make a FUN game.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2018, 14:58 Creston

All time heat records FAKE NEWS IT'S ALL A HOAX BY THE CHINESE! SAD!  

News Comments > Conan Exiles is Funcom's Best and Fastest Seller Ever
8. Re: Conan Exiles is Funcom's Best and Fastest Seller Ever Jul 5, 2018, 14:56 Creston

heroin wrote on Jul 5, 2018, 12:00:
because when you log out your toon stays put, for anyone to kill on the PVP hours.

Boy, that sounds SO MUCH FUN. :\

News Comments > Conan Exiles is Funcom's Best and Fastest Seller Ever
7. Re: Conan Exiles is Funcom's Best and Fastest Seller Ever Jul 5, 2018, 14:54 Creston

I wonder, is that since release? Or are they counting early access numbers with that?

News Comments > Morning Interviews
18. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 5, 2018, 11:07 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 4, 2018, 16:44:
Compare that to Mass Effect Andromeda where I bet you can't even NAME one character even after playing it twice.

Ryder

Haha, I win! Pay up!

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jul 5, 2018, 11:04 Creston

I was gonna say it was fake, but that landing was truly god-awful, so maybe not?

Most of the flying he's doing is not something an untrained pilot can do without crashing.

News Comments > Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition Re-leased
17. Re: Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition Re-leased Jul 5, 2018, 11:00 Creston

Bumpy wrote on Jul 4, 2018, 12:13:
Lame. So this is a free update for Steam owners only.

I see no way to get this update when I own the DVD version.

Sometimes you can activate a DVD on Steam. I'd say worth a shot?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2018, 17:56 Creston

Happy 4th, fellas. Here's hoping our governmental nightmare will end at some point...

30267 Comments. 1514 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo