Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 28988 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 20, 2017, 13:52 Creston

Brazor wrote on May 20, 2017, 12:39:
Part of the problem (especially out here in California) is that there isn't anyone to hire for those jobs.

No, I don't think that that's really the problem. There isn't anyone to hire for those jobs at the absolute fucking rock-bottom salaries employers are 'willing' to pay.

You up the salary on these jobs, and people will apply for it. Nobody wants to be a steel factory worker, to grab Beamer's example, for 9 bucks an hour (duh). You pay 18 bucks an hour, and watch the applicants line up outside. (numbers are just for example, I don't know what they actually are for steel workers.)

That's the side of the story you never hear in all these documentaries where employers lament on "We just can't hire anybody! We've been looking for years! We HAVE to go to India to find workers!"

Bullshit. Pay a good wage and good benefits, and you'll have fucking thousands of applicants.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 20, 2017, 12:36 Creston

Cutter wrote on May 20, 2017, 12:02:
And as always when robots replace all these people who's going to have any money to buy anything? It's self-defeating. That was one of the major reasons for the downfall of Rome. There were so many slaves in the empire that citizens couldn't find work. And that started the whole downward spiral of bread and circuses.

So we're all going to be gladiators for the robots?

In any case, I do agree that it's so short-sighted the way every single corporation RUSHES to automation. Have fun not selling anything and watching all your robots just sitting there doing nothing.

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Will Trail Consoles; Has No Dedicated Servers
30. Re: Destiny 2 PC Will Trail Consoles; Has No Dedicated Servers May 19, 2017, 21:59 Creston

HoSpanky wrote on May 19, 2017, 15:14:
On the other hand, Blizzard is putting their name on this, and that's no small consideration. They'd rather kill a game weeks before launch than put out something short of stellar.

Errr, where are you seeing that Blizzard is putting their name on this? It's going to use Blizzard's launcher, because why wouldn't Activision just use their own store rather than give Steam/Origin etc 30%. But that's going to be as far as it'll go. This is not going to be "Blizzard's Destiny 2."

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
14. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 19, 2017, 15:14 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on May 19, 2017, 13:20:
Yeah Burrito sounds reasonable you test a sample of the overall. But Creston's 2005, I didn't know companies do mass auto-bios updates without testing and if with a passing grade would do a slow roll out. That is living life. Company wise, I'd only consider a bios upgrade if it was a security reason or something specific to a system(s) and an issue with it that it would specifically fix.

You'd be amazed how many companies, even today, test 'in production.' (Ie, just release everything and "we'll deal with any issues that occur." )

Hey, it saves like a few thousand bucks on test PCs!

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Will Trail Consoles; Has No Dedicated Servers
19. Re: Destiny 2 PC Will Trail Consoles; Has No Dedicated Servers May 19, 2017, 14:49 Creston

Did I say typology? I meant, it is a complicated clusterbangle. No, no, that's not the word I'm looking for. Shabbadaroo! That's what it is, a complicated shabbadaroo!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2017, 12:46 Creston

Ozmodan wrote on May 18, 2017, 12:04:
The quality of network programming is getting worse by the year. All you have to do is look at what Netflix, Amazon and many of the other streaming services are doing, MUCH better shows.

To be fair to the networks, that as much because of regulations hampering what they can do as it is because of their own ineptitude.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2017, 11:48 Creston

Star Trek Discovery looks pretty good. I might sign up to CBS all access for one month to binge watch it, then cancel again. I'm sure roughly 99% of all Trek fans will probably do the same thing.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 18, 2017, 11:38 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 18, 2017, 09:50:
It's not just the Inspiron model that is having a problem. At work, we have a couple thousand Optiplex 7040s deployed on a campus I supervise. Tuesday, we picked 100 as a test lot. 48% of them experienced a no post/no boot scenario after updating to the latest BIOS to fix the AMT vulnerability.

A little more than three hours on the phone with Dell, an actual engineer finally got in contact with me and we had to short a particular pin on a jumper (not the "Magic Blue Jumper" that is usually reserved for clearing BIOS passwords and CMOS values) to get in to recovery mode so we could then hand load those 48 machines with USB sticks.

Normally, we use SCCM to deploy the BIOS update package through Windows and there's not a problem. The mouth breathing phone monkeys kept trying to point the finger at SCCM as the problem when the engineer I spoke to just laughed wryly. Dell's support is terrible, even at Premier and Gold levels. These BIOS updates scream "rush job" with little to no eval and QA being done.

Yeah, I've had multiple BIOS fuck-ups from Dell. The most amazing one was admittedly a long time ago (2005), when their BIOS update literally bricked every desktop in my company. All of them would just boot to a black screen, and then the fan would go absolutely berserk. It was quite amazing listening to 250 jet motors on a single floor.

Dell support just went "duuurrrr wedinthaveanyproblemshere duuurrrr"

At my wits end, I decided to literally short the CMOS, and lo and behold, it cleared the error. We wound up shorting about 700 CMOSes in the next few days. When we informed Dell of this "fix", they just went "Wowthatsweird duuurrrrrr"

Dell's initial reaction was to tell customers they needed to buy new motherboards.

That's quality customer service there. Just quality.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
24. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 20:07 Creston

Flatline wrote on May 17, 2017, 15:53:
A fantasy setting where you have plenty of T&A and sex, but you also have a very morally ambiguous setting that isn't grimdark like Westeros. You can have all of the intrigue and backstabbing and unsympathetic protagonists and sympathetic antagonists without the over the top grimness of Game of Thrones.

You don't find the world of the Witcher grim as fuck? I mean, you can easily make an argument that it's more grim than Game of Thrones.

23. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 20:05 Creston

Beamer wrote on May 17, 2017, 14:31:
When you think of a great book translated well elsewhere, the top pick would likely be Game of Thrones. Except George RR Martin was a TV writer for three and a half decades, so he understands TV. Otherwise? Movies and television are often better when the author is removed.

Plus GoT has gotten substantially better now they are no longer forced to pay attention to GRRM's endless "I can wring 16 more books out of this story!" bullshit.

22. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 20:04 Creston

Bundy wrote on May 17, 2017, 14:11:
It's the same thing in the game, is it not? Ciri was perpetually the princess in the other castle. By the time you finally find out where she was and I reached that cabin, I was totally at the point of, "if she's not here, I'm deleting this fucking game!"

That's actually fair enough, but you do chase her to different areas, and find out what happened to her there, then chase down the next lead. None of this happens in the book. Geralt hears that Ciri is in Nilfgaard for "reasons", and then spends the next 3 books trying to get to Nilfgaard to save her, without ever actually getting anywhere NEAR fucking Nilfgaard. He just sort of meanders about.

Also, Ciri is never in Nilfgaard to begin with, which you as the reader know, so these three books are dedicated to getting Geralt someplace that you, as the reader, already know he's never going to get, or IF he gets there, will serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

The latter books feel very "made up as he went along" kind of writing to me.

That said, the characters in it are very good, and it's actually cool to see the origins of some of the Witcher's finest characters. It just misses... I dunno... the swagger of the Witcher in the game.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black May 17, 2017, 14:27 Creston

It is impossible to make movies worse, as they are already unbelievable garbage.

But maybe Hollywood can remake another movie that came out in 2014. I'm sure THIS time it'll be good!

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 17, 2017, 13:51 Creston

I like how they call it "over-charging" as opposed to "blatant theft" which is what it really is.

10. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 13:49 Creston

VaranDragon wrote on May 17, 2017, 12:06:
That doesn't mean that the source material is bullshit, or that the author who wrote them is a hack.

Neither I nor Beamer said that. However, the reason the Witcher is as mega popular as it is now is because of the games, not because of the books (at least outside of Poland.)

The books are... okay. The short stories series are pretty good, but the big Geralt & Ciri storyline has a shit ton of pacing issues, dead space, Geralt whining, and basically Geralt's entire motivation for 3 books is "must get to Nilfgaard to get Ciri!" basically off a rumor he heard, and then during those 3 books, he really never gets much closer to getting there.

Compare that to the Witcher 3, and it is just substantially better paced, written and far more interesting. Witcher 3's Geralt is an utter badass.

Basically what I'm saying is, I hope the TV series is based off of Witcher 3's Geralt, and not off Book Geralt.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 12:00 Creston

VaranDragon wrote on May 17, 2017, 11:52:
Beamer wrote on May 17, 2017, 11:51:
Red wrote on May 17, 2017, 11:44:
Acleacius wrote on May 17, 2017, 10:56:
I'm not sure whether to laugh or be horrified.
Depends on how big Adam Sandler's role in it is.

Oh man, I really kind of hate you right now, hahahahahahaha.

But the author is more involved than the games, and he isn't a fan of the games, yet I think TW3 probably has the best characters, or world, or something, of any game I've played, so I think not having him involved had to have been a benefit.

Please not this shit again. Have you read the books? The games follow the books VERY closely. Just because the author declined to be involved in the production of the games, doesn't mean that CD Project RED didn't have great respect for the source material.

Eh, the game features substantially better writing than his books, so :-shrug-:

In books 4, 5 and 6, after that mage kicks the shit out of him and crushes his leg Geralt is basically a whiny old man who constantly complains that his leg hurts.

Game Geralt >>>>>>>> Book Geralt.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Trailer
1. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Trailer May 17, 2017, 11:57 Creston

Looks good

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 09:28 Creston

Kajetan wrote on May 17, 2017, 08:03:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 17, 2017, 07:53:
... pricing model(30% fee on sales) ...
This i dont get.

30% may seem much, but Steam offers a developer exposure to a GIANT, WORLDWIDE customer base, which is only achievable with a marketing budget even the majors can afford often. If ever.

Not just that, but they provide you with multiplayer functionality, DRM (if you so choose), infinite bandwidth and seamless update functionality.

All of that costs money. Bandwidth alone is a pretty significant chunk at the absurd prices the US Mafia ISPs charge for it.

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2
18. Re: Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2 May 17, 2017, 09:21 Creston

Redmask wrote on May 17, 2017, 07:48:
Ubisoft has made a factory operation out of generic open world games, they're the fucking acme widget makers of this industry.

Hahahaha. I mean, you're not wrong.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2017, 20:59 Creston

#THEHOTTESTTAKESONLYATPOLYGON

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2
5. Re: Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2 May 16, 2017, 20:57 Creston

If these new Far Cry adventures are genuinely new, then yes.

As for the Crew 2, I got the Crew for free and wound up enjoying it a LOT more than I thought I would, so if they build an even cooler map, I can see myself sign up.

28988 Comments. 1450 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo