Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 27591 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
11. Re: Ban White Trucks!!! Jul 1, 2016, 13:52 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 13:32:
AND ultimately to your point, you cannot give me a full autonomous car and then lay down "but I'm still ultimately responsible and have to be alert at a moments notice". This goes against human nature, if your car is going to handle 99.9% of the driving and you don't think I'm going to get comfortable with that and do something else, you are a FOOL. This is a suckers deal.

It's different levels of autonomous driving. The fully autonomous, you get in, tell the car where you want to go, and sit in the back and read/watch a movie/masturbate type car is considered a class IV autonomous vehicle. None such vehicle exists today, and even if it did, no such vehicle has been authorized to (test) drive on US roads. So if/when you get into such a vehicle, you would not be asked to keep your hands on the wheel and stay alert the whole journey. A class IV vehicle can essentially drive around the US by itself, whether you are in the car or not. (AI JOYRIDES! WHOOO! Convoy starts at noon PST at Santa Monica pier!)

Tesla CLAIMS its vehicles will be class IV capable in two years. I think Elon Musk is blowing smoke up his investor's asses, but he undoubtedly has a better handle on how far along his software is than I have.

Most of the autonomous cars testing on the road today are considered class II, with a sprinkling of class III thrown in. (the few cars that have driven from LA to NYC are class III. Tesla is currently classified as class II, because you have to still be sitting with your hands on the wheel, and you essentially still make 99% of the decisions.)

It'll be at least another decade before we see class IV vehicles, and probably another two before they become prevalent on the roads.

Until such a time, if someone wants to be GM's (or Toyota, or Nissan, or VW, or whomever, really) test dummy for their cheapest bidder's shoddy code, that they know is broken but refuse to recall, hey, be my guest.

On more immediate topic: This was not Tesla's autopilot's fault. It makes no decisions other than to keep an X amount of distance between you and the car in front of you. You have to tell it to change lanes, etc.

Edit: Actually, let me rethink that. From the way I read descriptions of the accident, I assumed the Tesla and the trailer were side by side, going in the same direction. I see from a drawing from the FHP that the truck turned left in front of the tesla and thus the tesla essentially ran right under/through it.

The Tesla's sensor charged with watching the front apparently doesn't see anything above its own height. Thus, it never saw the trailer.

So while the driver is still at fault (as the Tesla autopilot is NOT an autonomous vehicle, and you should never take your attention off the road while your car is on autopilot), the sensor here blatantly failed to see an obstruction a human driver who was paying attention would have easily seen.

So yeah, I'll skip the autonomotive singularity, thank you.

Edit 2: Mobileye, the company who makes the sensors on the Tesla, stated:

“We have read the account of what happened in this case. Today’s collision avoidance technology, or Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) is defined as rear-end collision avoidance, and is designed specifically for that. This incident involved a laterally crossing vehicle, which current-generation AEB systems are not designed to actuate upon. Mobileye systems will include Lateral Turn Across Path (LTAP) detection capabilities beginning in 2018, and the Euro NCAP safety ratings will include this beginning in 2020.”

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2016, 15:30.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2016, 13:46 Creston

Ludomancer wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 12:37:
Original was cheap camp fun. The movie reboot was an overblown embarrassment. Wonder what this will be?

I think we can all expect the dark and gritty re-envisioning, complete with plenty of betrayal, torture, sex, violence, and sexual violence.

SWEET!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2016, 13:45 Creston

Out of all the awesome sci-fi series that they could pick they reboot, they pick that?

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: Half of Steam's entire library Jul 1, 2016, 11:00 Creston

nin wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 09:38:
Creston wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 09:21:
Prez?

He really needs to come back...

Yeah. Though there are quite a few people I wish would come back.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jul 1, 2016, 10:58 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 20:22:
Yeah whatever, it works. And if you are working out and not losing weight then you are gaining muscle mass which some prefer anyway.

Turning fat into lean muscle is a 100% win for your body, even if your weight stays the same.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 1, 2016, 10:57 Creston

That is dodgy as shit, AMD...

News Comments > ShinyLoot "Dormant" - GOG.com Rescues Sword of the Stars: The Pit
8. Re: ShinyLoot Jul 1, 2016, 10:43 Creston

nin wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 09:36:
Creston wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 09:20:
You're good people, GOG.

Maybe I'm just more into collecting stuff I've since lost from disc and cd, but it seems like a lot more of my money goes to gog than steam anymore. They seem like decent folks, and I love having my old library a few clicks away...

I really only buy a few games a year anymore for PC and it's the big Open World releases that I know I'll get 100+ hours of fun out of, but anything small that I buy does tend to come through GOG, yeah.

Of course, I have ~ 60 games sitting in my GOG library, and I've played maybe... 5 of them?

News Comments > The Orion Project Asset Theft Follow-up
9. Re: The Orion Project Asset Theft Follow-up Jul 1, 2016, 09:26 Creston

DangerDog wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 02:36:
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Blatant theft of assets is the cheapest way to a complete game.

News Comments > BioShock: The Collection Announced
15. Re: BioShock: The Collection Announced Jul 1, 2016, 09:22 Creston

nin wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 13:16:
Creston wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 12:17:
Countless fans have asked for this since the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One arrived – and we listened!

Unlike another developer we could mention *COUGH* ROCKSTAR *COUGH* who, despite eleventy billion people asking for it, still gives everyone the big middle finger with regards to Red Dead Redemption.

Creston! I thought you of all people would bring up the lack of a "Mass Effect Complete collection with all DLC included" package (another people have been asking for for a long time now)!

True, I forgot about that, but I can currently play Mass Effect just fine. RDR, I CANNOT play anymore.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Half of Steam's entire library Jul 1, 2016, 09:21 Creston

Prez?

News Comments > ShinyLoot "Dormant" - GOG.com Rescues Sword of the Stars: The Pit
5. Re: ShinyLoot Jul 1, 2016, 09:20 Creston

You're good people, GOG.  

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER – Blood for the Blood God DLC Released
12. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER – Blood for the Blood God DLC Released Jul 1, 2016, 09:19 Creston

Sega and marketing is the reason, and that they sell blood DLC is actually a legal issue, they can't give a away the DLC for free, because that would increase the rating to M for the base product...

Fine, then sell it for $0.10. This is just selling pieces of the game after the fact, aka, the thing DLC is always accused of being, and in this case legitimately so.

News Comments > XCOM 2 Shen's Last Gift Released
1. Re: XCOM 2 Shen's Last Gift Released Jul 1, 2016, 09:14 Creston

So does it look like the new soldier class is essentially a mech?

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 1, 2016, 09:11 Creston

yuastnav wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 03:06:
Well yeah, but then there's the question how much that differs from a normal human brain. Unfortunately we are a long way off of knowing that.

It differs quite a bit. If our brain was just a massive series of if/then statements, we could never adapt to anything new the first time we encountered it.

Unfortunately that neither lets us predict nor tells us how the worm is going to behave or move and what not.

Yeah, experience and genetics likely come into it as well.

So I'm not sure whether an evolved AI is just a bunch of if/then statements. It's certainly something that can be observed scientifically but I think we're not even close to beginning to understand how a complex intelligence works.

No, we're not, but that was kind of my point. They call this an AI (they call self-driving cars an AI too), but it's not. It's just a massive database of if/then statements built in a cascading tree of decision making logic.

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 30, 2016, 12:52 Creston

yuastnav wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 02:33:
In fact the Polish science fiction Stanislaw Lem wrote a book title Golem XIV where the complete opposite happened. Humans created an AI that was magnitudes more intelligent than humans themselves and at some point just stopped talking to humans altogether.

In Peter F Hamilton's commonwealth series, the AIs eventually form the SI (Sentient Intelligence), which co-exists with humanity but also spies on it and tends to interfere in human development in certain ways. It also writes Restricted Intelligences for humanity to do the work that AIs were doing before.

Then, thousand years later, when a chunk of humanity uploads itself into a neural network named ANA, which becomes an entity onto itself, ANA forbids the SI from contacting or interfering with humanity, and it kinds of treats the SI as an unwanted black sheep in the family.

In any case, for all how it's called an AI, it's just a massive series of if/then statements.

News Comments > The Orion Project Asset Theft Follow-up
4. Re: The Orion Project Asset Theft Follow-up Jun 30, 2016, 12:23 Creston

and goes into the reasons this project has had to deal with so many accusations of art theft over the course of its development.

I'm just spitballing here, but you know... because you stole the art?

7. Re: BioShock: The Collection Announced Jun 30, 2016, 12:17 Creston

Countless fans have asked for this since the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One arrived – and we listened!

Unlike another developer we could mention *COUGH* ROCKSTAR *COUGH* who, despite eleventy billion people asking for it, still gives everyone the big middle finger with regards to Red Dead Redemption.

6. Re: BioShock: The Collection Announced Jun 30, 2016, 12:16 Creston

MoonSpook wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 11:16:
It's not noted here (unless I fail at reading comprehension), but these are all also free if you own the games on Steam (end of third paragraph) - so might be worth picking them up during the Summer Sale if you're interested.

That's pretty sweet. I think I own all three on Steam. Thanks for linking!

News Comments > Godus Dead?
16. Re: Godus Dead? Jun 29, 2016, 18:03 Creston

Kxmode wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 17:31:
Can someone tell me what "There's lots of areas to explore to finish" means?

It means "We'll keep pretending we're going to finish this game for several more years, but not actually work on it, until everyone's forgotten about it. Thanks for all the money, suckers!"

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
16. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 29, 2016, 17:57 Creston

Right now $200 or $230 is a pretty good price for just above GTX970 performance, though I'm worried about the fan noise.

Hopefully we'll see a Twin Frozr version of this card. If we do, I'm pretty interested in it, since I currently game at 1080p anyway.

27591 Comments. 1380 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo