Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 28660 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Video
15. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Video Mar 15, 2017, 11:23 Creston

Rhett wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 01:16:
It shared in ME3, too... Everyone got pretty much the same XP. The better people did, the more medals were earned that added to the total. Credits were the same for everyone too.

I think only credits were shared. Maybe XP, but I believe that was individual based off of performance. (and 99.9% of characters were level 20 anyway.) The medals definitely weren't shared.

I do recall "AFKers" a while back but that should be dealt with pretty quickly. Or I think there was a system in ME3 for it.

ME3 never did shit against AFKers. And it got really annoying for a while, you'd join a match and have 2 people just sit there. And that was when they were just getting credits. Now if they get XP and medals and loot? It's going to be frikking terrible. I hope they have a detection system in place that boots people that don't move in the first minute of the round, so someone else can join, but then again that "join in progress" thing didn't work very often either.

The main draw is the huuuuge variety. Guns, mods, characters, character builds... So much fun. And this one launches with, I think, more characters. ME3 was pretty clunky combat/movement-wise, and I hated feeling like I had to micromanage my squad to play harder difficulties. Looking forward to the new movement and combat for sure. Gonna play all 10 hours of the early access in MP...

Yeah, I think it will be very fun. I hope there will be a Krogan Vanguard!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Starbreeze Investing in System Shock 3
18. Re: Starbreeze Investing in System Shock 3 Mar 15, 2017, 11:16 Creston

Lord Tea wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 03:49:
Creston wrote on Mar 14, 2017, 20:26:
Eh, it sounds like good news.
----
Starbreeze will invest $12 million to bring the game to PC and other platforms

Sounds like bad news to me...

Not really. Without this influx of cash, the game likely isn't getting made. So then the choice is no new system shock, or a new system shock with the possibility of being good, or the possibility of being consolized trash.

I'd rather at least have the chance at getting a good game.

Everybody whined and complained and moaned about the exact same thing when Deus Ex Human Revolution was announced for multiple platforms. OMG ITS TEH CONSOLIZED GARBIDG TEY SHULD NEVR MAEK ANOTR!!!! And then it turned out to be really, REALLY freaking good.

Warren Spector's on board, and though I've lost some faith in him, I still hope he can recapture the old magic and deliver a fantastic game.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Maxtrix reboot Mar 15, 2017, 11:04 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 10:15:
Swimming upstream on this one... they might get it to work, but it will not be an easy road...

I feel they should reboot Logan. It's been a few weeks since it's been out, it's about time. Rolleyes

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 15, 2017, 11:02 Creston

My dad is coming to visit me in a few weeks. I may tell him to leave his phone at home so he doesn't get stuck for several hours because some border patrol dildo feels the need to abuse his authority.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Why you should use action center Mar 15, 2017, 10:59 Creston

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Oh, you were being serious?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Adds Content
3. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Adds Content Mar 15, 2017, 10:58 Creston

wed like to extend a huge thanks to all players that have played the beta and given us feedback

The beta? Wasn't this game released like a month+ ago? At least they're honest in calling people who bought the game beta testers.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Video
2. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Video Mar 14, 2017, 20:34 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 14, 2017, 20:27:
And here is our dull multiplayer mode that requires you to grind forever OR puchase all the shit instantly with your credit card and bioware points.

ME3 didn't require you to grind forever. Every few matches on Silver got you plenty of credits for 2 good chests, which usually gave you good equipment. A gold match gave you enough credits for a chest with 40% extra cash to spare.

ME3's mp was fun. I'm glad it's back. For those who don't want to play mp, don't worry about it. Focus on the SP which Kotaku calls overwhelmingly huge. (and they said without the filler of DA:I )

The only thing I'm worried about is that they're sharing all the xp/medals etc. between everyone. That may seem like a good thing on the face of it, but it's just going to lead to tons of people joining a match and then not playing. It's worse than the old system where people whined about kill-stealing.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2017, 21:07.

News Comments > Starbreeze Investing in System Shock 3
2. Re: Starbreeze Investing in System Shock 3 Mar 14, 2017, 20:26 Creston

Eh, it sounds like good news.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
48. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 14, 2017, 11:30 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 08:55:
In case anyone was wondering, Wildlands is a soulless piece of shit. Same shitty formula from Far Cry with outposts combined with the Ubisoft Terrain Generator 2.0. The world feels empty and pointless, much like your generic and repetitive objectives in it.

It is a bad game.

Yeah that's kind of how it seemed. Thanks for the heads up!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
47. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 14, 2017, 10:33 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 20:55:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 16:21:
Haha. No sign of Torment. Pretty dead out the gate that one and well deserved after the half-assed job they did on that "game" or visual PDF more like... and don't gimme PST was like that because it wasn't. PST was 500% more actual game than TToN.
Still glad I got a last minute refund for my pledge a few weeks back. The feature cuts and the fact that they put nicer stuff into the retail CE than the "exclusive" backer CE broke the camel's back for me.

#schadenfreude

So... you haven't actually played the game?

Of course he hasn't.

In any case, I'm quite enjoying Torment. I hadn't kept track of the cuts etc, so it's sad to see how much they ditched. On the flipside, this is NOT a small game, it feels very expansive, and I quite enjoy the myriad ways of finishing quests etc.

My favorite part is that everything you come across is a "Wtf is this?" encounter. Most of the stuff is just there for flavor, but you can find some cool things and even some interesting side quests by examining all of it.

There are some excellent quests where you really have to puzzle your way through to the "good" solution. I've probably replayed the Inifere encounter four or five times now, and you REALLY have to work at it to get it to a good point.

There are some bad sides. Most companions are pretty blah, it's often verbose for the sake of being verbose, not really for the sake of having much to tell, but all in all I'm enjoying it.

However, once ME:Andromeda comes out I will switch to that, and whether I'll return to Torment to finish it after... I don't know.

:-shrug-: for 20 bucks it seems a perfectly fine RPG to me.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2017, 11:02.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2017, 10:30 Creston

Man, people REALLY like Zelda.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
8. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 14, 2017, 10:28 Creston

Fantaz wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 01:36:
you don't really need solid 60fps to have a fun gaming experience... i'm fine settling with anywhere above 30fps tbh and ps4 pro delivers on all games at 4K with at least 30fps, so i dont think they're that underpowered

If you set it above 30fps and then it keeps fluctuating, it'll be terrible, especially as TVs don't really do well with variable framerates. It'll feel smooth at one point, then slow as molasses the next.

I dunno. About 90% of all people have a 1080p TV, and maybe 10% have a 4K tv. It seems like a weird thing to market almost exclusively to.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 14, 2017, 10:13 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2017, 00:30:
It will be a while before they start having to think about the ethical trolley problem in self-driving cars. They need to get the basics down first.

The ethical trolley problem is bullshit. There is literally no situation where it's clear cut "A dies or B dies." That situation doesn't exist, and never will exist.

If kids run into the street in front of you, the car will swerve to avoid them. What happens after that is up to chance. Unless you're going 100+mph (which the self-driving car won't let you do anyway), this clearcut belief that you will crash into a building and it WILL kill you is horseshit.

Sure, you may crash into a building, but the car will be braking heavily, you have crumple zones, airbags. You will very likely survive.

I wish people would stop paying attention to some fantasy-land hypothetical situation that basically has a zero percent chance of occurring.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 14, 2017, 10:09 Creston

Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) has already signaled plans to introduce a bill that would require Border Patrol agents to obtain warrants before searching electronic devices at the U.S. border, following reports that American travelers had been asked to hand over their smartphone PINs to access their phones.

I really like Ron Wyden, and would love to see him as president (please run in 2020!), but this just exacerbates the problem. Because the result of this bill would be that the border patrol detains you, then keeps you detained while they wait for a judge to sign off on a warrant before checking your phone.

So instead of being delayed for two hours, you'll be delayed for days. :\

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 14, 2017, 10:07 Creston

So your processor is kind of just pants for gaming then?

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer
50. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer Mar 13, 2017, 20:46 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 21:51:
I feel like some people just want Andromeda to fail and are looking for any nitpick they can find to support their cynicism.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

News Comments > PS4 Games Coming to PCs via PS Now
1. Re: PS4 Games Coming to PCs via PS Now Mar 13, 2017, 20:44 Creston

Ignoring the fact that it's still GaiKai, and still terrible technology, it's cool that they're expanding it to PS4 games.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2017, 16:53 Creston

I heard you're getting a "Weather Bomb" tomorrow, Blue. Make sure to keep digging a hole at the top of that mountain of snow to let oxygen in!  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2017, 16:45 Creston

ldonyo wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 13:39:
Nick Denton killed his own company with his reckless pursuit of ever more shocking and sensationalist headlines and content. It was only a matter of time before he was sued out of existence.

And while Gawker is dead, most of the websites that were under its umbrella are still doing fine. They're now filled with the most whiny wankers writers imagineable, but they're still there.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
28. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 13, 2017, 16:22 Creston

panbient wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 12:48:
I'm honestly starting to think there's something broken in the system that doesn't connect people effectively anymore. You can't accept a job that doesn't get offered to you. Do HR people google / facebook first then consider looking at a resume second now?

Erm, yes. In fact, most of them never even bother to look at a resume anymore. I argued about this with Beamer quite fiercely a few years ago, and at the time it might not have been as pervasive yet, but now it's basically 100% FB/LinkedIn. I specifically had to get accounts on both shit platforms just so I could find a job. (You were right, Beamer!)

Most HR depts just do nothing but scour FB all day long for "candidates."

Only now I'm 40 and graduated college twice in both French and English - which makes me look like a risky hire who won't stick around a minimum wage job.

At the risk of sounding like a major dick, but what career, exactly, did you envision with college degrees in English and French, if not English/French teacher?

I mean, you might be able to get a gig as an interpreter for the UN or something? I would imagine being French/English bilingual in Canada is a little "dime a dozen"?

But all it's ever gotten me is a heavier plate with a side of ass kissing for the same pay as some slacker who barely got through high school.

Yeah, where corporations are concerned, your English and French degrees are basically kinda pointless. Again, not meaning to be a jerk about it, but it's not exactly the kind of skills that translate into anything? I myself am actually fluent in three languages. I used to put that on my resume and on all my job applications, etc. Do you know how many times it was ever brought up in any interview or job offer or anything? Never. That's with 20+ different companies on three different continents. Nobody cares about what languages you speak, unless they are specifically hiring you as an interpreter.

And then what happened in the early 2000s? Oh geez, the IT bubble burst. Well why the hell did you study technology dumbass?

Wot? There's plenty of work in IT, but it suffers from its own issues with massive outsourcing and huge IT staffers like IBM firing tens of thousands of people, which leads to massive competition for the jobs that are available.

But *knocks furiously on wood* I've never been unemployed for longer than 3 months working in IT.

It might suck to hear but at least they're not being blamed for having followed the path presented to them.

If someone presented you the path of "get dual bachelors degrees in English and French!" then may I recommend you visit that person and kick him/her furiously in the nether regions until said region turns bi-lingual. Because that has to be the worst advice ever given.

Either way, our future is fucked.

Well, yeah. Even if we ignore all other factors, and we just look at population alone, we have more and more elderly people being forced to work through retirement because their pensions/401Ks/social security are being taken from them, while at the same time our population is still fucking exploding, and for every 100 people that are born, only like 12-13 jobs are 'created' in order to take care of them. The jobs eventually are bound to run out.

In any case, build a FB and LinkedIn profile with lots of "happy happy sunshine I'm such a great worker!" bullshit in it. Odds are good that some brainless HR FB scanner will see it and call you in. At least they'll be better odds than having a great resume.

28660 Comments. 1433 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo