Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 27591 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Just Cause 3 MP Mod Halted
6. Re: Just Cause 3 MP Mod Halted Jul 11, 2016, 13:15 Creston

JC3 was a huge disappointment. MP would have been cool, but oh well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed Jul 10, 2016, 21:15 Creston

I'm not sure I understand even the core premise here.

To paraphrase a famous Vorlon ambassador "The river's course is set. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

12 professional reviewers would literally be a drop in the Amazon river, so I'm not sure what kind of effect he thinks it would have. And in the end, what would Valve/Steam get out of their 1.2 million dollar extra payroll? What benefit is it to them.

If people would actually READ the reviews, rather than just go by the binary choice up thumbs up or thumbs down, this wouldn't be an issue. The minority troll or shill or competitor bad reviews are a minority and drowned in the much larger group of useful reviews.

But of course, people don't really even read reviews, they just see the "87% says this sucks" number and go from there. Which the paid professional reviewers wouldn't do jack shit to counter.

So, in summary, people are fucking stupid.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2016, 21:23.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
7. Dead bodies Jul 9, 2016, 17:15 Creston

Gotta catch 'em all!

News Comments > Windows Gaming Survey
26. Re: Windows Gaming Survey Jul 9, 2016, 14:45 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 08:38:
Think the smallest HDD size they still manufacture is either 150GB or 250GB both in single platter configurations. Which of course is funny, because I sadly remember when I got my first 250MB HDD(first new desktop our family got had a quantum 40MB HDD in it though) and thought I'd never fill it, then 1TB a few years later.

Hehe. My very first PC (that I bought together with my dad) had a 53MB HD in it. When it got full (Wing Commander plus speech pack was like 30MB!!!) we took it back to the store, and they let us upgrade to a 127MB HD. When we came home with it, we both agreed we "would never fill that."

127MB.

25. Re: Windows Gaming Survey Jul 9, 2016, 14:44 Creston

Bub wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 08:01:
Given MS's behavior the last few years post Bill, I am pretty cynical as to what ends they will put this input.

A month from now they will release a statement that says "After going through hundreds of thousands of replies, one thing became overwhelmingly clear: Xbox One is the most favored gaming system in the world, and everything PC gamers want is already included in our magnificent console!"

And that will literally be it.

19. Re: Windows Gaming Survey Jul 9, 2016, 01:24 Creston

Quite enjoyed filling that out. Too bad they're all tone-deaf and retarded at MS anyway.

17. Re: Windows Gaming Survey Jul 9, 2016, 01:11 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 8, 2016, 21:45:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 8, 2016, 21:36:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 8, 2016, 21:00:
Also liked the Win 10 limits frames and doesn't allow g-synch and free-synch, telling me bad things I didn't know. Is that true?

Yes. True for UWP (Windows store exclusive) apps. You can not mod UWP games, no multi GPU, no G-Sync/FreeSync, no MSI Afterburner, no Fraps, no GeForce Experience (no ShadowPlay), i.e. no support for any overlay 3rd party app at all.

UWP apps = GFWL 2.0 ... only even shittier than ever!

Is all their announced Win 10 games coming out under UWP?

All MS's games, yes.

16. Re: Windows Gaming Survey Jul 9, 2016, 01:09 Creston

"Windows 10 is the best OS for gaming, but we don't actually know what makes an OS great for gaming!"

MS's marketing department at its finest. Well, no, its second finest.

News Comments > Gone Gold - No Man's Sky
50. Re: Gone Gold - No Man's Sky Jul 8, 2016, 16:45 Creston

Rigs wrote on Jul 8, 2016, 13:45:
Oh God, it's begun! The Great Florp Outbreak of '16 is upon us all! Save the women and children first! Florp's always go after the weaker individuals of the target species...And don't forget to read your Florp Outbreak Handbook! May God have mercy on our souls...

=-Rigs-=

AMC is proud to announce : The Florping Dead! Coming 2017!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2016, 16:42 Creston

I fully expected the Baton Twirler to be another Star Wars kid, but that guy's actually good!

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 8, 2016, 16:38 Creston

wtf_man wrote on Jul 8, 2016, 14:16:
Avast to Buy AVG for $1.3 Billion to Add Security Software.

Crap + Crap = Double Crap.

Eh, Avast is pretty decent. I mean, let's face it, it's FREE software. I just always get so annoyed with its constant nagging to have me buy their stuff. I get it, they need to make money, but...

AVG is terrible. Just horrible bloatware.

All in all, this headline makes me wonder two things:

1) Why would Avast buy AVG, since they're significantly better than AVG? Maybe they need a good bloatware programmer?
2) How on earth does Avast have 1.3 billion dollars lying around???

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Kentucky Anon Jul 8, 2016, 16:35 Creston

At first I was going to say "He will have much lulz in prison", but I actually kind of agree with what he did, so it's (bleeping bleepbleep) that he will undoubtedly get a longer prison sentence than the two "football players" who got 1 and 2 years in prison for what was described as a "horrific rape of a teenage girl."

As always, in the US, the answer to "How can I get away with shit and not go to jail?" is:

A) Be rich
B) Be a football player

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2016, 16:31 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 8, 2016, 14:05:
Creston wrote on Jul 8, 2016, 11:39:
I WANT AN HD REMAKE ROCKSTAR DAMMIT

You get NOTHING and will ENJOY IT!

*pours shots for the dearly departed*

NO!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 8, 2016, 11:44 Creston

At first that seemed ludicrous, but

“And by every interaction, we mean every tap, type, swipe and click. We’re calling them touches,” it explains.

So if you send a text, that's an easy 100 touches right there. So then I can see it.

Even with that measurement, I doubt I touch the thing more than ~ 200 times a day.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2016, 11:39 Creston

I WANT AN HD REMAKE ROCKSTAR DAMMIT

15. Re: Taking the Win10 Pill Jul 8, 2016, 00:04 Creston

jimnms wrote on Jul 7, 2016, 19:23:
Who has "upgraded" to Win10? Got any tips? With the free upgrade deadline approaching and the rest of the parts for my new system arriving tomorrow and Saturday, I'm preparing to put Win10 on my machines.

I did, just last weekend. I was going to do a clean install, but I have so much shit installed for which I don't remember the license key/password, that I didn't feel like dealing with the hassle. So I upgraded instead. Went 100% flawlessly, and quite fast too.

So it sounds like I can just start from a clean install and give it a Win7 code when prompted instead of installing Win7 and performing an upgrade.

Correct.

I will install Win10 on the new machine from the start. I have a Win7 upgrade license that I never used, so I will use it on the new machine.

I don't know for sure, but be careful about it being an upgrade license. It's possible that those aren't accepted by Win 10. I was going to do a clean install and convert my old Windows 7 key, but someone warned me that because it was a family pack upgrade key, windows 10 wouldn't take it...

News Comments > Gone Gold - No Man's Sky
19. Re: Gone Gold - No Man's Sky Jul 7, 2016, 23:06 Creston

Great achievement for them, and I hope the game does well, but I'll need some massively solid word of mouth before I'll bite. It looks pretty enough, but also something I'd get bored with in a few hours.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2016, 14:51 Creston

Quboid wrote on Jul 7, 2016, 14:22:
Anyone here sprechen Deutsch or Turkish? eRe4s3r?

How is the name 'Can' (as in Emre Can) pronounced by German football commentators? Khan, San, Jan, Chan (like in 'channel')? British commentators usually pronounce it Chan but it varies and they frequently suck at foreign names anyway.

I would say Khan (completely silent H though), but I'm not a native German speaker.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2016, 14:49 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 7, 2016, 13:44:
What you have is likely a gas cylinder and... forget repairing that. Replacement is 15$ tops

obligatory how-to video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiDby4FouwQ

Btw, just a fair warning, you see him applying WD40 there, don't skip that step. Once you got piston removed, take measurements and buy replacement (10 to 15$ afaik) if it's standard replacement piston maybe even for your chair you have good chances it'll work like in the video.

Thanks man

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2016, 13:26 Creston

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 7, 2016, 12:43:
Creston wrote on Jul 7, 2016, 12:17:
Verno, since you're the chair fix magician ( ), any idea what part I need to fix a chair where the hydraulics have failed? (Ie, the chair won't stay at the highest position anymore. As soon as anyone sits on it, it slowly starts sliding down.)
With the chair at the height you like, measure the exposed cylinder.
Cut a piece of pvc pipe that is the same length. 1/2, 3/4 or 1" Schedule 80 depending on shaft diameter. You want to slice the piece of pipe down the middle or in half (lengthwise) and wrap it around the shaft. Secure in place with 2 worm gear hose clamps or heavy duty tie wraps. Goes without saying but you won't have bouncy failing hydraulics or height adjustment capability anymore.

Sitting in one "southern engineered" like it right now.

Hehe, yeah, I'd thought about turning it into a Redneck Office Chair. I tend to use it in various spots where I need to vary the height though, so sadly that wouldn't work.

27591 Comments. 1380 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo