Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 29021 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. iPhone smuggler. Jul 19, 2017, 10:50 Creston

She shouldn't have tried to smuggle them, she should have pretended it was an iPhone dress. Gaga would have gotten away with it.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Casey Hudson Returning to BioWare as GM
4. Re: Casey Hudson Returning to BioWare as GM Jul 18, 2017, 17:46 Creston

I doubt the GM has much to do with creative control over games, he's just the guy who keeps the whole studio staffed and running.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2017, 16:37 Creston

Fion wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 12:09:
I sometimes wish the guy would throw his weight behind a problem that exists now.. like Net Neutrality, instead of focusing on something that may be a problem 50 years from now.

He doesn't have enough money to outspend Verizon/Comcast/Charter etc. And Ajit Pai is a giant streetwhore who votes what the biggest paycheck tells him to vote.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 09:33 Creston

DrSquick wrote on Jul 15, 2017, 23:01:
Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2017, 14:37:
I think they're vastly overestimating the importance of Whole Foods and its impact.

“This transaction occurs during a long period of economic concentration that has already caused a decline in workers' wages and mobility,” the congressman wrote, “essentially allowing a small number of monopolists to hoard the ‘fruit of economic growth.’ ”

And it would be funny a republican congressman is saying this if it wasn't so sad.

Pardon my ignorance, but I just don't understand why Amazon bought Whole Foods. Is it to bolster their Amazon Pantry offering? I don't think so, because they don't need brick and mortar stores to do that. Is it to offer a brick and mortar spot to buy "Amazon Goods?" That doesn't seem right either, because that's not their target audience.

I feel like this is probably the biggest thing that will happen in a decade, and I just don't get why Amazon paid so much for WF!

Amazon wants in on the groceries business. They have a model store where people can go in, grab their stuff from shelves and leave again, without ever having to check out, which is of course a massive benefit over the regular grocery store where you get your stuff, then stand in line for 20 minutes because they can't be arsed to open more than two cash registers for 80 customers waiting to check out.

So if they want to put this into production, so to speak, they can either build all the stores themselves, which would take years and years and years, or they can buy an existing, small yet still nationwide chain and turn it into an Amazon store.

Hence the Whole Foods purchase.

Will it work? Who knows. Whole Foods seemed to make money, though at their prices it's amazing they weren't raking in the cash. ($23 for a pound of fucking deli meat!) So I imagine with Amazon's cash and distribution network behind it, it'll likely remain profitable. Whether it made sense for Amazon's core business...? I guess Jeff Bezos knows better than I.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Sinkhole Jul 15, 2017, 11:22 Creston

From the article, it says the houses were built on a site already known as a sinkhole. I wonder if the home owners were informed of this fact when they bought the houses. If not, I'm gonna guess there will be some lawsuits.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 14, 2017, 20:47 Creston

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 14:50:
I'm perfectly fine for this game to take 5 years of development.

We live in a day where companies release shit unfinished product.. I love seeing well polished games on release like Witcher 3.

Witcher 3 was pretty buggy on release, actually.

And if it's 5 years, we should get it next year. CDPR announced Cyberpunk 2077 in 2013.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 14, 2017, 12:36 Creston

Just the thought of something with the Witcher 3's quality in a Cyberpunk setting makes me lose my shit.

Still so far out though.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial
7. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 14, 2017, 12:35 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 11:10:
DarkCntry wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 11:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 10:36:
10 hours of play..

I wonder if with first planet they mean literally the starting world. That would be a big dick move.

It's the same trial that EA Access had, it goes up until entrance to the first Vault.

So only the first pre-colony pre-vault desert planet section? Not even all companions?

Correct. And that part of it is pretty damn boring. I'll repeat again that I can't fathom why they started with that boring-ass planet, rather than starting with the awesome ice-planet. (Forgot the names, sorry. Only play MP now.)

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 12:14:
I think it means as much multiplayer as you want up to 10 hours, as opposed to the limited single player portion.

Also correct.

News Comments > TransRoad: USA Trailer
2. Re: TransRoad: USA Trailer Jul 13, 2017, 19:28 Creston

I don't think it's meant to be. ETS / ATS are mostly single truck simulators, with some terribly rudimentary company-mechanics thrown in. This is a huge trucking company simulator.

News Comments > AMD Threadripper Pricing Unveiled
6. Re: AMD Threadripper Pricing Unveiled Jul 13, 2017, 14:39 Creston

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 13, 2017, 13:03:
Intel is having a hissy fit.

This from a company that launched their Kaby Lake X series not with solder on the die, but with fucking thermal paste, so they could save... what, 40 cents per $1000 processor? Fuck Intel with a boiling hot glue gun.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 11, 2017, 19:30 Creston

Well, start paying Ajit Pai some money, Microsoft. Oh, and by some money I of course mean lots of money, because AT&T, Verizon, Comcast and Charter combined probably line that asshole's pockets to the tune of millions of dollars.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Jul 11, 2017, 13:39 Creston

Maybe finish your game before you start throwing stones there, Dorothy.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 11, 2017, 13:38 Creston

ldonyo wrote on Jul 11, 2017, 11:21:
By Senators do they mean future board members?

No, that's too circumspect. SCOTUS determined it no longer has to be hidden, so they mean the Senators who openly take money from AT&T as bribes.

You've never seen representatives as happy as when they no longer had to pretend they weren't being bribed. Now they can just flat-out say "I'm a corporate whore, and I sold my ass for $15K to <insert corporation here>!"

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
17. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 11, 2017, 13:36 Creston

Sad story about that teen girl. Kids just don't think about this shit. When I was a kid, I'd used to have my boombox sitting on the side of the bath tub, plugged in and everything. I did that at least half a dozen times, until my father walked in one day, nearly got a heart attack, and proceeded to yell at me for probably 30 minutes how I nearly killed myself.

I was surprised that a phone could do that, but I guess if it's plugged in, and you have shitty plugs in your house, I can see it happening. Let's wait for the inevitable lawsuit against Apple/Samsung/Whomever for making CHILD-ELECTROCUTING PHONES!

News Comments > Fortnite Launch Trailer
3. Re: Fortnite Launch Trailer Jul 10, 2017, 14:36 Creston

Gameplay actually looks pretty fun, but eh, too busy with other stuff right now.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 10, 2017, 14:35 Creston

I like the post by the former AG (I believe)

"Yeah, when we'd investigate people for things like corruption and fraud, and they'd vehemently deny it, we usually would just drop the charges."

When is someone going to make this assclown take a test for dementia?

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2017, 16:51 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 8, 2017, 15:13:
That's something you or me, or any single person, can't do anything against, livestock would die in the billions if no anti-biotics were used, too tight together, too many animals in the same place, and it'd be dangerous for anyone close by too. If you stop this, you can kiss affordable meat, eggs, milk good-bye.

That's not why they not use it, not primarily anyway. They give animals massive doses of antibiotics as a GROWTH AGENT.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK216502/

Utilization of the beneficial responses of feed-additive antibiotics in improved growth and feed efficiency developed concurrently with the intensification of the animal industry.

The FDA has just recently (like a few months ago) finally changed the LABELS on antibiotics to no longer say that they are approved as a growth agent.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2017, 16:46 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jul 8, 2017, 14:44:
Long term, GW is by far the greater threat due to its inevitable nature. How do you mitigate 140 degree summers in the entire southern USA?

We could stop global warming. I mean, we're not going to, but we could. Or at least, we could keep it to such an extent that it wouldn't be as devastating as you describe. We as the world could stop it, or keep it from becoming catastrophic.

Also, it's not going to just be four straight months of 140 degrees. There would be nothing left alive if that happened. Outliers will get crazy, but they'll be outliers.

The bacteria, though? They're here. We've been reading about how "it's going to happen in the future" for a few years, but they're already here. We're already fucked. These things are going to keep getting worse, not that they really even need to, since there are already several bacteria that are immune to even our last-resort antibiotics.

So you get infected with those, and you better pray you have Wolverine's immune system, or you're dead. Nothing anybody can do about it, except hope to God that some pharma invents some new miracle drug. And even if they do, they'll just price it at $50K a shot, because fuck the poor people, after all. They shouldn't have chosen to be poor.

Livestock industry for sure, but the doctors are stuck. If you don't prescribe those antibiotics, and someone dies, you're sued or lose your license and that's the end. The system is poorly thought out.

You cannot get sued and lose your license for refusing to prescribe the WRONG medication. Literally not a single medical board would ruin a doctor because he refused to give someone antibiotics for a viral infection. Yet the large majority of them do it "because the patient wants it."

FUCK what the patient wants. You have a fucking flu. Antibiotics aren't going to do Jack or Shit.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2017, 18:06.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 8, 2017, 13:46 Creston

Samsung's Smart TVs stream your Steam games.

Also sell your Steam credentials to interested third parties.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2017, 13:40 Creston

The antibiotics resistant strains of bacteria are likely going to wind up being a far more deadly problem than Global Warming...

I mean, don't get me wrong, Global Warming is terrifying, and it will affect everyone's lives (though more those of the next two generations.) But you can mitigate the effects somewhat.

Dying because of a simple infection, because there is no way to treat the infection, is straight back to the fucking Middle Ages. Better buy stock in leeches again. :\

And all because fucking doctors kept proscribing the shit when people had a fucking flu, and because the damned agriculture industry kept feeding it to their lifestock.

29021 Comments. 1452 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo