Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 30813 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2018, 08:42 Creston

I gotta say, after voting for him, Giant Meteor 2016 sure is a big disappointment. And now here's his brother, Skullie 2018, and same deal. :\

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Oct 1, 2018, 08:39 Creston

Yup.

There needs to be a simple penalty for companies. For every account that's breached, you get fined $10000 per offense. Watch how fast these "Oh yeah, 90 million accounts got breached. Oopslulz!" events disappear. Because THEN all of a sudden there's money to implement good IT security.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
22. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 1, 2018, 08:28 Creston

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 1, 2018, 02:35:
Self driving cars don't make sense to me, we should be putting resources into smart roads. You don't need crazy complex AI for a road to manage the cars on it and all of the variables that come with that. The problem is that once you've centralized this problem, all of those patents for autonomous cars are worthless. There's just too much money in the current flawed approach.

Well, that, and if you made smart roads, how would you get human drivers to obey the commands of the smart road? They already don't obey the commands that are currently on roads. (I will readily admit I don't do this myself.)

Plus, how unfathomably much money would it cost to turn every road into a smart road?

21. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 1, 2018, 08:25 Creston

NKD wrote on Oct 1, 2018, 03:07:
Creston wrote on Sep 30, 2018, 21:36:

I can go on and on, obviously, but I think the gist is clear. Don't get me wrong, btw, 99% of human drivers don't see all of this either,

And every driver thinks they are in the 1%.

Sadly, yes. I agree wholeheartedly that 99% of the drivers on the road SHOULD be replaced with AI, but the technology right now is absolutely not ready for it, no matter how badly Elon Musk likes to bleat that his Teslas can do so "in six months."

20. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 1, 2018, 08:24 Creston

Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2018, 22:46:
Except when all vehicles are AI controlled. Than there won't be any more tailgating, insane lane changes, speeding, etc., think Minority Report. Eventually the government will mandate any new cars on the road will have to be AI network after critical mass is reached.

Correct, but this will take 50 years to achieve AFTER the technology is ready for it. Because the only way to do it once the technology is ready is to simply stop giving out driver's licenses, so eventually all the human drivers will be phased out.

An alternative would be for the government to mandate everyone switches to an autonomous car, but this has two problems:

1) Few people will be able to afford to just switch when the government mandates it, so the government will essentially have to pay the cost. Maybe we can finance it with another tax cut for the rich?

2) If you think there'd be a riot if the government outlawed guns, wait until you see what happens when you tell current drivers they're not allowed to drive anymore...

9. Re: Sunday Mobilization Sep 30, 2018, 21:36 Creston

NKD wrote on Sep 30, 2018, 17:15:
The part he forgets: Humans are even worse drivers than the AI.

The reaction time of a computer with proper sensors is just too fast for a human to compete. They don't sleep, they don't stare at billboards, and ideally, they aren't wired to panic and do the exact wrong thing like humans often are.

Sure. But on the flipside, they (AI drivers) also don't anticipate. They don't come up to where an on-ramp merges onto the highway, and see the asswipe in his Mercedes 4 inches on the tail bumper of a semi on that on-ramp, and know "he's going to swipe two lanes to the left the second he can, and sideswipe me unless I speed up/slow down."

They don't see an asshole swerving from side to side in his lane and know he's likely fucking around on his phone and is thus likely to come sideswipe you when you try to pass him.

They don't see a semi with a huge trailer struggling to stay in its lane in the wind, and figure it's probably NOT a good idea to try to overtake them right in a corner where the wind would blow the semi into your lane.

They don't see, in their rear view mirror, yet another asshole monkeyfucking his way through traffic left right and center, and figure that even though that hole that's there between you and the car one lane over is really too small to fit that car into, the asshole is going to do it anyway, because clearly he's in a hurry.

In that same vein, they don't keep an eye out on the guy behind them, and judge whether that guy is going to be able to brake in time to avoid plowing into your trunk if traffic comes to a sudden halt. I've wound up in the median a few times in my life, but in every case, it avoided an accident (from the guy behind me slamming into me.)

They don't keep an awareness of an "escape spot" to move into in case shit hits the fan. Doesn't matter where that spot is. Left, right, onto a shoulder, into a median. ALWAYS have a spot you can swerve into if you have to.

I can go on and on, obviously, but I think the gist is clear. Don't get me wrong, btw, 99% of human drivers don't see all of this either, because 50% stares right at the end of their hood, and the other 49% stares at their fucking cellphone.

But the few among us who DO keep an awareness of traffic around us at all time, specifically to avoid cocksuckers like the ones I mentioned above, should never be replaced with an AI.

Everybody else, though? Please get them off the fucking road. It'd be nice if I could make it through ONE commute without some idiot almost causing an accident near me.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 30, 2018, 15:44 Creston

Armengar wrote on Sep 30, 2018, 14:54:
so musk tweets a load of rubbish, company loses a bit of share price and he gets fined 20M and loses his seat. The president tweets rubbish, countries lose gdp and he gets applauded?

funny world we live in.

Yeah, except it's not funny.

News Comments > Assistant Accused of Stealing from Gearbox Boss
2. Re: Assistant Accused of Stealing from Gearbox Boss Sep 30, 2018, 15:43 Creston

"missing". Uh-huh. Anyone check Randy's garage for a new concrete floor, by any chance?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2018, 20:58 Creston

Kathleen Kennedy has dirt on somebody. She has to. She has pictures of some high-up exec at Disney fisting a camel or something, so they can't fire her.

It is unbelievable how in the US the absolutely fucking INEPT just keep being kept on in their positions. Failing upwards is the US #1 motto.

News Comments > Gone Gold - HITMAN 2
14. Re: Gone Gold - HITMAN 2 Sep 29, 2018, 12:26 Creston

starttimartti wrote on Sep 28, 2018, 22:14:
Creston wrote on Sep 28, 2018, 13:36:
Dacron wrote on Sep 28, 2018, 12:13:
They are also including all #1 locations remastered, which is basically like getting #1 for free.

Oh, that is freaking sweet. My interest went from "Hmm probably, but should I play the 'first' one first" to "Ohhellzyeah."

Last I heard the "free Hitman 1 missions" were "free" only to those who already owned Hitman 1 and it's levels previously.

Well poop. Thanks for putting the record straight!

4. Re: Gone Gold - HITMAN 2 Sep 28, 2018, 13:36 Creston

Dacron wrote on Sep 28, 2018, 12:13:
Creston wrote on Sep 28, 2018, 11:08:
So is this going the same episodic way as the 'first' one?

Apparently it is all available day 1.

However, the studio is moving away from that model for Hitman 2. When it launches, the entire game will be released in a single package.

They are also including all #1 locations remastered, which is basically like getting #1 for free.

Oh, that is freaking sweet. My interest went from "Hmm probably, but should I play the 'first' one first" to "Ohhellzyeah."

1. Re: Gone Gold - HITMAN 2 Sep 28, 2018, 11:08 Creston

So is this going the same episodic way as the 'first' one?

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Sep 27, 2018, 19:42 Creston

Unintended. Jesus... What, did the tits just start jiggling on their own after you made a patch live?

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2018, 19:34 Creston

It's hilarious because he likely did it to try to fuck over the shorters, and now they're probably making bank off of him.

Elon, get off Twitter. You're too smart of a guy to be on fucking Twitter in the first place, and so far, nothing good has come of it.

Also, hire a "common sense" person, probably a woman, who looks over everything you want to say and then advises you to not say it.

Musk sent a statement Thursday afternoon calling it an unjustified action.

Like that. She can advise you "yeah, maybe don't say that. It just makes you look like a giant fucking douchenozzle who thinks the laws don't apply to him. You directly went against SEC regulations and now you're getting slammed down for it. Be humble, apologize, and own up, like an actual man. Not like the pretentious, whiny man-baby you are. Also, how on earth do you imagine this to be unjustified? This is literally what the SEC EXISTS FOR. Idiot. You know what? I quit, fuck you."

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. RD2 Sep 27, 2018, 11:17 Creston

105GB

Please tell me that's only on the PS4 Pro / XboneX?
(edit: Doesn't look like it. Yeah, why would you bother to put in a check to see if the device can even RUN 4K textures before deciding to install them? Lazy-ass developers will be lazy-ass developers.)

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 26, 2018, 20:35 Creston

And will then go and implement the change anyway. You know, like Congress, or that filthy, worthless piece of miserable pigshit that runs the FCC.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed: Odyssey Launch Trailer
2. Re: Assassin's Creed: Odyssey Launch Trailer Sep 26, 2018, 15:48 Creston

maddog wrote on Sep 26, 2018, 15:44:
I really want to try an AssCreed game (as I loved GR Wildlands) but should I be worried at how fast they churn these out. Are they just reskinning the engine over and over again into different epochs?

Any title better than another?

They definitely were just churning them out too fast, though at least they would use different mechanics for portions of the games. They took a break after Syndicate and came out with Origins after two years, and that genuinely felt like a breath of fresh air in the series.

This one, unfortunately, literally just seems like Origins Without The Pyramids.

I can heartily recommend Black Flag (pirates!) and Origins, and AC2 (though that one is getting somewhat long in the tooth now, mechanics-wise.) If you DO get AC2, then Brotherhood is an excellent sequel to it.

All the others, you can safely skip, they're not that interesting.

News Comments > etc.
5. Tattoo Sep 26, 2018, 12:33 Creston

Duh. Yennefer from the Witcher 3, of course. (bah, Slim Ram already sort of beat me to the joke!)

For reals, if I had to, it'd be an N7 tattoo.

News Comments > Just Cause 4 Trailer
2. Re: Just Cause 4 Trailer Sep 25, 2018, 23:47 Creston

They are the largest, most well equipped and highly funded force on the planet

The United States Army might like a word.

News Comments > Anthem Alpha
8. Re: Anthem Alpha Sep 25, 2018, 23:45 Creston

Slick wrote on Sep 25, 2018, 20:59:
Doesn't alpha mean that you can play the game from beginning to end, and all the systems are in place? ie. everything is there, it's just super buggy, unoptimized, and generally a mess... but everything's there.

Seems like that's the bulk of production time leading to alpha. But every studio seems to have their own definition of what Alpha means...?

I thought everything in place was considered to be Beta? Maybe they just have a different alpha, like you said.

In any case, this is apparently a pretty huge game, so six months for beta, bug-fixing and finish seems short to me.

30813 Comments. 1541 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo